About the Viper VSS5000 SmartStart System
Connect with your car by phone and the SmartStart App
Connect with your car by phone and the SmartStart App
Viper's VSS5000 SmartStart System lets you use your smartphone or similar device to control the functions of your vehicle from a remote location. Connected to the Cloud via the Viper SmartStart App that you've downloaded to your device, you can monitor and manage your security system, lock and unlock your doors, pop the trunk, or start your car. If your phone has service, you can communicate with your car and control many of its functions remotely, even if you're hundreds of miles away. When you don't have service, you can use the included 4-button remote, which has a range of about a quarter mile.
The Viper SmartStart Secure service plan
You'll need to get a 1- or 3-year subscription to Viper's SmartStart Secure service plan in order to take advantage of the features SmartStart has to offer. The plan's most valuable and reassuring feature is membership in the Viper Motor Club, which entitles you to free roadside assistance, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year — a great feature if you need towing, a new battery, or a tire.
The system uses features like Starter Kill, which prevents hot-wiring, and a dual-stage shock sensor, which warns you if someone tries to get into your car. The system's 6-tone siren chirps an early warning in the case of an intrusion attempt, and then unleashes an ear-splitting blast if the intrusion continues, chasing away crooks and attracting attention. Whether you're travelling, dining out, or going to a ball game, you can be sure that your car will be exactly where you left it.
Vehicle screen status
For your peace of mind, the SmartStart app includes a Vehicle Status screen that shows you whether your car's locked, armed, running, or has a door open, for instance. If anything disturbs your car's security system, SmartStart will send an alert to your phone and a text message with the details of the occurrence.
More smart features
Every time you use your phone to lock your car, the SmartPark feature remembers where you parked. To return, you press "Find My Car" and SmartPark shows you a map to your car accompanied by any helpful notes or photos you stored there. The unique SmartSchedule feature sends you behavior-based reminders when it's time to start your car, taking into account your commute time and outside temperature. The Parking Meter keeps track of the time remaining on your meter, alerting you when it's time to go feed it more coins.
"Siri, open SmartStart"
That's right. If you have an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 upgraded to iOS 6, you can use Siri to gain access to SmartStart verbally from wherever you are, as long as you have phone service. SmartStart works with all iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch devices as well as Android SDK 1.6 or newer and BlackBerry OS 4.5 to 6 devices.The Home Control feature even allows you to access and control your Alarm.com-powered home security system from your smartphone, so you'll know your home is safe and sound while you're away.
We offer a databus interface module that can save you lots of time when you install a Viper security system in most vehicles. Chat or call us at 1-888-955-6000 to see if the interface will work with your vehicle.
If you know how to use a multimeter and have experience working with your vehicle's electrical system, you should be able to install this remote start system yourself. If not, please consider having your system professionally installed.
To ensure vehicle compatibility, please enter your vehicle information in OutfitMyCar. Your order will be reviewed by our Car Experts group, who will contact you if further information or recommended accessories are needed.
- automotive security and remote start system
- remote start function is for fuel injected, diesel, and hybrid vehicles with automatic transmissions only
- compatible with iOS (4.3 or later), Android (SDK 1.6 or newer), and BlackBerry (OS 4.5 to 6) devices
- requires a SmartStart Secure service plan ($49.99 for 1 year, $119.99 for 3 years) to use with your smartphone
- plan connectivity managed via the Directed Cloud Services (DCS) network linking your car, the SmartStart App, the Internet, and your smartphone
- interface managed with the Viper SmartStart app downloaded to your device (available free from the iTunes® App Store, BlackBerry App World, or the Android Market site)
- one 4-button 1-way remote up to 1500-foot range
- SmartStart Secure service plan offers these features:
- free membership in the Viper Motor Club with 24/7/365 roadside assistance
- sends Vehicle Status and SmartSchedule alerts
- SmartPark feature shows you where you parked
- Parking Meter keeps track of how much time is left on the meter
- Home Control connects to your Alarm.com home security system
- security features include Neo Revenger® Siren, FailSafe® Starter Kill, and Stinger® DoubleGuard® Shock Sensor
- Clone-Safe® Code-Hopping® for added security
- optional Viper 474T available as replacement for remote
- compatible with XpressKit DB-ALL vehicle interface module (must be hard-wired d2d port used by SmartStart module)
- warranty: limited lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # VSS5000
What's in the box:
- Directed Model 5103 Remote Start and Security system module
- DSM2000 SmartStart module with attached 5" harness
- 514LN Soft-chirp siren
- 474T 4-button 1-way remote transmitter (with installed CR2032 coin cell battery)
- Stinger DoubleGuard Shock Sensor
- 2' Shock Sensor harness (4-pin connectors on both ends)
- 4.5' H1 Main harness (12-pin connector with 10A fuse on white wire and 15A fuse on red wire)
- Extreme Capacity Relay Satellite (XCRS) with 2' 8-wire heavy gauge harness (30A fuses on the red pink and pink/white wires)
- 18" H2 harness (6-pin connector)
- 8' H3 Remote Start harness (5-pin connector)
- 2' Remote Start ribbon harness (7-pin connectors on both ends)
- 6" Relay satellite harness (4-pin connector)
- 5' Door Lock harness (3-pin connector)
- 4" H4 Aux 4/Horn harness (2-pin connector)
- HX Plus antenna/receiver (with dual-sided adhesive)
- 10' Antenna/receiver flat harness (4-pin connectors on both ends)
- Valet button with 6' harness (2-pin plug)
- Blue LED with attached 5' harness (2-pin connector)
- Shutdown toggle switch with 18" two-wire harness
- 3' SmartStart power/ground harness (2-pin plug with 3A fuse on red wire)
- 3' SmartStart ESP harness (black 4-pin and brown 4-pin plugs)
- Spring-loaded hood pin switch (with a male 0.25" quick slide)
- 0.25" Female quick slide
- Security and Remote Start System Owner's Guide
- Security and Remote Start System Quick Reference Install Guide
- SmartStart module Quick Reference User's Guide
- SmartStart module Quick Reference Install Guide
- Product Registration card
- Quality by Design card
- 2 Viper window stickers
- Warning sticker
Viper VSS5000 SmartStart System reviews
Alarm works great. The using the smart start module is slow but works 90% of the time.
6 of 6 found this helpful
This is a great overall system, with lots of features. Unfortunately, it was a lot more difficult to install than it should have been, the SmartStart app (at least for Android) is not without bugs, and it really could use another 1 or two aux channels. There is no installation manual, only a install guide. This is fine if you know each wire's purpose and behavior from it's name, but if you haven't installed an alarm before it means a lot more time spent researching every wire. If you're like me, very familiar with automotive electronics and more than qualified to install an alarm, but have not installed an alarm system before, I would recommend finding an instillation manual from a similar alarm system to help guide you. So far I haven't been able to really use the SmartStart app other than in testing (where everything worked perfectly, of course). On a couple occasions, when I tried to use it to trigger AUX2, I repeatedly got an error stating that AUX2 has been disabled...I installed the system, I know that it wasn't disabled. Eventually after trying 5 or 6 times it seemed to go through but never made the connection to the vehicle. Either it never got the the SmartStart server from my phone, or the vehicle was in an area where it was out of service. It seemed that this has something to do with the bluetooth module I installed, because if I'm in range of bluetooth but it isn't connected I always experience this, but if I'm out of range it seems to work more reliably.
Pros: Designated relay module is helpful for locating things when installing, AUX linking is very useful, built-in starter-kill.
Cons: Lacking installation manual with detailed descriptions, SmartStart is very buggy, with ambiguous and/or incorrect error messages. No instructions for programming new remotes. I ended up writing up instructions for Crutchfield after spending hours testing and troubleshooting trying to pair the bluetooth module.
9 of 9 found this helpful
This is a great alarm system, tho viper has made good alarms for along time. The features such as remote start gps location etc are wonderful. Remote functions via smartphone are nice they have a certain show off value but are also a great backup should something happen to the viper remote. It is a great way to add modern features to and older vehicle. With the assortment of additional sensors available you can secure and modernize any vehicle be it car or truck convertible etc. The instructions and wire chart make wiring simple for anyone with a decent knowledge of vehicle electrical systems.
Pros: Multiple modes settings and functions, remote start and cellular comm.
Cons: If you are unsure or not familiar with vehicle electrical systems you will need a professional installation. While some system programming is possible via chirp method it is limited. To set it up properly you would need viper tool the bit writer. Installers can do it but charge for it.if you DIY the install you should buy one. As paying for it to be done is as much or more then the tool. It dose however add expense either way.
11 of 11 found this helpful
More details on the Viper VSS5000 SmartStart System
Features & specs
|Lines of Defense|
|Scan-resistant Remote Codes||Yes|
|Glass Break Sensor||Optional 607506T|
|Number of Remote Buttons||4|
|Number of Remote Functions||6|
|Factory Security Integration||No|
|Number of Cars||Multiple|
|Remote Door Locks||Yes|
|Manual Transmission Compatible||No|
|Number of Zones||5|
VSS5000: The Viper VSS5000 is a Remote Start and Security System with a single remote transmitter. In addition to the remote, the VSS5000 includes Viper's SmartStart technology, which allows you to start your vehicle, arm or disarm the alarm, and lock or unlock the doors remotely using your compatible smart device. The VSS5000 includes the Viper Model 5103 Remote Start/Security system, and the Directed DSM200 SmartStart module.
SmartStart: The included DSM200 SmartStart module allows you to operate specific functions of the VSS5000 remote start/keyless entry system from a compatible smart device. SmartStart 3.1.1 (current version as of June 2013) is compatible with iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) with iOS 4.3 or later, Android devices with SDK 1.6 or newer, and Blackberry devices with OS 4.5 to 6. The free Viper SmartStart app can be downloaded from the iTunes App Store, Blackberry App World, or Google Play, depending upon which device you own. A service plan is required for most features.
Note: The iPod touch and some iPads communicate with the vehicle via Wi-Fi. The vehicle's SmartStart module and the iPod touch/iPad must be on the same LAN.
Multiple Vehicles: If you have a SmartStart module installed in more than one vehicle, you can choose which vehicle to control right from your compatible smart device. The Cars Screen lets you select which vehicle to control.
Functionality: With SmartStart, you can use your compatible smart device to pre-warm your car's cabin in the winter, pre-cool it in the summer, lock/unlock the doors, arm/disarm your alarm, or find your car in the parking lot. Your vehicle responds exactly the same way as it does when using the alarm system's remote control, with audible and visual confirmations. Using your device, you can perform the following commands, which appear as icons on the touchscreen:
- Lock: Locks the vehicle and sends a confirmation message.
- Unlock: Unlocks the vehicle and sends a confirmation message.
- SmartStart: Remote starts your vehicle and sends a confirmation message. The vehicle stays running for the programmed run time (default is 12 minutes). You can tap the icon again to turn off the vehicle.
- Trunk: Tapping the icon once opens a dialog box, asking you to confirm the command (Yes/No). If you tap "Yes" the trunk opens the trunk and a confirmation message is sent.
- Panic: Activates the panic mode for 30 seconds. You can tap the icon again to turn off. (This feature is used to attract attention if you're in a threatening position. It can also be used as a car finder.)
Siri Integration: Users of the iPhone 5 and 4S running iOS 6 can use Siri to activate the remote start via voice command. The App Launch Action function must first be activated in the Setting Menu.
Menu Bar/Screens: At the bottom of the SmartStart app screen, the menu bar provides buttons to open any of the five tabs:
- Home: The Home screen is the default screen, and gives you access to all of the remote commands: Lock, Unlock, SmartStart, Trunk, and Panic.
- Cars: The Cars screen allows you to control multiple vehicles if you have a compatible security/remote start system installed in more than one vehicle.
- Status: The Status tab lets you see at a glance the status of your vehicle and Viper system, including Remote Starter, Doors (locked/unlocked), Doors (open/closed), Trunk, Panic, Ignition, Hood, Active DTC Codes, Security System State, and Security System Triggered.
- GPS: SmartStart GPS is not available with the VSS5000 system. The SmartStart GPS module would be required, and a subscription to a SmartStart GPS service plan in order to use the GPS features.
- More: The More button reveals nine additional options:
- Alerts: shows new status alerts from the alarm system
- Settings: lets you log into your account, change passcode, turn on/off features, and make general settings
- SmartSchedule: continually monitors the temperature, location, and scheduling variables, and will ping you with alerts when appropriate.
- Home Control: lets you control an Alarm.com-powered home security system from the SmartStart app.
- Viper Motor Club: Free 24/7/365 roadside assistance from the Viper Motor Club
- SmartPark: helps you find your car's location, and provides directions when needed.
- Parking Meter: helps you keep track of how much time is remaining on the parking meter, and will alert you when it's time to add more money to the meter.
- Customize: lets you purchase (99 cents) custom skins for the SmartStart app, including a pink color theme (benefits breast cancer research) and an Old School classic Viper 2-way Responder remote. Available for the iPhone version of the app only.
- Find a Dealer: helps you locate the nearest Viper dealer
Virtually Unlimited Range: SmartStart works over the 3G cellular network or over Wi-Fi, giving you virtually unlimited range anywhere in the United States. As long as your vehicle is in range of a GSM cellular signal and your phone has a 3G signal, SmartStart will work. When using Wi-Fi connection, both the vehicle and device must be connected to the same LAN.
SmartStart Service Plans: Once you have installed the DSM200 SmartStart Module, you will need to subscribe to a SmartStart Service Plan. As of June 1, 2013, the SmartStart Secure 1-year plan is $49.99, and the 3-year plan is $119.99. Included at no charge is membership in the SmartStart Motor Club, with free 24/7/365 roadside assistance.
Overview: The Viper Model 5103 Remote Start and Security system can start your car and run it remotely for a preset amount of time. It also functions as an alarm and a keyless entry system, remotely locking and unlocking your vehicle's power door locks.
Note: The remote start function is for fuel injected, diesel, or hybrid, automatic transmission vehicles only.
Warm Up/Cool Down: You can use the remote start feature to pre-warm your vehicle's interior during cold weather or pre-cool it during hot weather. You will need to preset the climate controls to the appropriate settings ahead of time if you plan to pre-warm or pre-cool the vehicle. In addition, the unit can be programmed to activate the rear defogger during remote start, if desired.
Temperature Start Mode: The Temperature Start mode, when activated, automatically starts the engine when the interior temperature in the vehicle drops below 0° F.
Driving the Vehicle: When you are ready to drive the vehicle, you will need to insert the ignition key and turn it to the On position (not Start position), and press the brake pedal. This procedure shuts down the remote start system, but the motor continues to run because the ignition has been turned on. The vehicle now operates as usual.
Crank Time: The starter crank time must be set to the appropriate duration. The default setting is 0.6 seconds. It can be lengthened to 0.8, 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, or 4.0 seconds.
Diesel "Wait To Start" Timer: If you have a diesel vehicle, you can set the starter to delay by a few seconds before engaging in order to warm up the "glow plugs." The "wait-to-start" duration can be set to 15, 30, or 45 seconds.
Run Time: The default remote start run time is 12 minutes. You can change the run time to 24 or 60 minutes, if desired.
Engine Checking: There are three ways to monitor the engine during remote start: Tachometer, Virtual Tach (default), or battery voltage.
Timer Mode: The Model 5103 can be programmed to start and run the engine every three hours, for a maximum of six cycles. The engine will run for the programmed run time (3, 6, 9, or 12 minutes) and then shut down. After three hours, the system will restart the engine.
Turbo Timer: The Turbo Timer mode keeps the engine running after arriving at your destination for a programmable period of time. This allows the system's timer to conveniently cool down the turbo after you have left the vehicle. You can select a turbo timer mode of 1, 3, 5, or 10 minutes.
Parking Lights: The system can be programmed to flash the parking lights when the engine in remote started, or they can be turned on constantly during remote start operation. By default, the parking lights are set to constant.
Automatic Shut-down/Starter Lockout: After the vehicle is remote-started, the remote starter will shut down when any of the following Shut-down Inputs is received:
- The brake pedal is pressed.
- The hood is opened (installation of the supplied hood pin switch is required).
- The shut-down toggle switch is put into the Off position.
- The pre-programmed run time has elapsed.
- The remote start command is received again.
Anti-grind Circuitry: Whenever the vehicle is started using the remote, advanced anti-grind circuitry prevents the starter from being engaged using the key. (In other words, it won't let you try to start the car with the key if the remote starter has already been engaged.) This prevents damage to the starter motor. The optional Failsafe Starter Kill relay must be installed in order for the anti-grind circuitry to work.
Valet Takeover: This feature allows the vehicle to remain running after the key has been removed from the ignition. This is useful for those occasions when you wish to exit and lock the vehicle for short periods of time while leaving the motor running and the climate controls on.
Shutdown Switch: You can temporarily disable the remote start unit to prevent the vehicle from being remote started accidentally by switching the supplied neutral safety toggle switch to the Off position.
Revenger Siren: The Model 5103 includes the Revenger Soft Chirp siren (model 514LN). It consists of six different tones in sequence. Any of the tones can be eliminated, resulting in a unique, easily identifiable siren sound. The siren chirps can be either full volume (120dB) or six decibels quieter than the full alarm blast.
Code Hopping: The module is set to Code Hopping mode, changing the code each time the remote is used to communicate with the system. This prevents potential thieves with code scanners from "stealing" the unlock/disarm codes. You can program the unit to turn off Code Hopping, if desired.
Shock Sensor: The included Stinger DoubleGuard shock sensor can detect impacts to the vehicle and trigger an appropriate response. A light impact will trigger a Warn Away response, causing the parking lights to flash, and sounding the siren and/or horn for a short period of time (1 to 180 seconds programmable, 30 seconds default). An alert will be sent to your compatible smart device if you're using the SmartStart module. A harder impact will trigger a full alarm alert. The sensitivity of the shock sensor is adjustable with a screwdriver.
Triggered Responses: A triggered response causes a full alert for a duration of 30 seconds (default), or between 1 and 180 seconds as programmed by the installer. The zone that caused the trigger will also be reported via SmartStart text message to your phone or device. Triggered responses can be set off by any of the following triggers:
- Hood Trigger (Zone 1): Opening the hood while the alarm is armed will sound the horn and/or siren, and flash the lights for the programmed duration.
- Shock Sensor (Zone 2): A heavy impact to the vehicle while the alarm is armed will immediately sound the horn and/or siren, and flash the lights for the programmed duration.
- Door Trigger (Zone 3): If a door is opened while the alarm is armed will sound the horn and/or siren and flash the lights for 3 seconds. This will give you time to disarm or unlock the system in case of opening a door inadvertently. After 3 seconds, the alarm will sound and lights will flash for the programmed duration.
- Trunk Trigger (Zone 4): Opening the trunk while the alarm is armed will instantly trigger a full siren/horn/lights alert for the programmed duration.
- Ignition Trigger (Zone 5): Turning on the ignition will trip the same procedure as the door trigger.
Multi-level Security: Multi-level Security Arming allows you to select which of the system's inputs will be active and which will be bypassed when the system is armed. Each time the lock button is pressed, a different security level is selected.
Passive Arming/Locking: If Passive Arming/Locking is activated, the system will automatically lock the doors and arm the alarm 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off and the system detects that you have left the vehicle by opening and closing a door.
Note: Active arming and Active locking are the default settings.
Locking/Unlocking The Vehicle: Using SmartStart or a conventional remote control, you can lock and unlock the doors of your vehicle. When the "Lock" button is pressed, the doors lock, the horn in the vehicle honks once and the parking lights flash once. When the "Unlock" button is pressed, the doors unlock, the horn honks twice, and the parking lights flash. In the Silent mode, the doors lock/unlock without the horn honks, and the parking lights flash to confirm the operation.
Note: When interfacing with any other type of factory door lock system besides negative switching locks, or when adding aftermarket actuators, two relays (such as two 120E5000s) or a door lock module (such as item 607451M) will be required. If your vehicle requires the use of a Data Integration module that controls your factory door locks, no extra parts besides the Data Integration module will be required.
Door Lock Output Pulse: The door lock output pulse can be set to different durations, depending upon what works best for your vehicle. The duration can be set to 0.8 seconds (default), 3.5 seconds, or 0.4 seconds. If the lock or unlock functions require a double pulse, those can be independently programmed as well. If the vehicle has a factory alarm system, the VSS5000 can be set to disarm the alarm with or before unlock, or during remote start only.
Horn Functions: You can set the duration of the horn function to 20 mS, 30 mS, 40 mS, or 50 mS. The horn function can also be turned off if desired.
Ignition-controlled Option: The keyless entry function can be programmed to lock the doors automatically when the ignition is turned on and unlock when the ignition is turned off. These functions can be programmed independently.
Trunk Release: When connected, one of the accessory outputs can operate a factory power release for the vehicle's trunk or hatch. An optional relay may be needed, and if the factory release is not power-activated, a trunk release solenoid can often be added (Directed part # 522T).
Car Finder: If you're having difficulty finding your vehicle in a crowded parking lot, the car finder function will cause the vehicle to emit one long horn honk and flash the parking lights 10 times.
Panic Mode: If you are threatened in or near your vehicle, you can attract attention by triggering the system with your remote. In Panic Mode, the siren sounds and the parking lights flash for the programmed siren duration.
7 questions already asked