About the Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S
Touchscreen Excelon goodness
Touchscreen Excelon goodness
Under the hood of Kenwood's DDX9905S DVD receiver, you'll find the sublime sound quality and robust tone-shaping qualities we've come to expect from their Excelon Series receivers. Kenwood paired these features with high-res music compatibility and a sharp 6.75" high definition touchscreen display. They've also added lots of ways to get your smartphone involved by including Apple CarPlay®, WebLink™, and wireless Android Auto™.
Wireless Android Auto
Get the awesome convenience of Android Auto without having to plug in. This Kenwood multimedia receiver features a built-in Wi-Fi connection, so all you have to do is get in and go. The receiver and your Android™ link right up and you're ready to roll with all the voice-control wonderfulness that Android Auto brings to driving. Find out more at www.android.com/auto.
(Please check the Details tab to ensure your Android device works with wireless Android Auto.)
More phone fun with Apple CarPlay® and WebLink™
Apple CarPlay puts your iPhone's content at your fingertips. Plug in your iPhone®, and you'll access all your navigation, phone calls, weather, text messages, and all your music through simple controls and voice commands. Get more info at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
This Kenwood includes WebLink, which provides you simple in-dash control over select apps like Waze®, YouTube®, and Yelp®. What's especially nice is that WebLink works with both Android and iPhone. So load up the free WebLink for Kenwood app, plug in your phone, and you'll have quick access to some handy infotainment for your journey.
Since yours is probably not the only phone used in your vehicle, the DDX9905S enables you to pair two Bluetooth-equipped phones and quickly switch between them for hands-free calling. And when you're streaming audio, Kenwood's Music Mix feature lets you pair five phones so everybody can pick their tunes for the ultimate road trip playlist.
Turn on the radio
The DDX9905S lets you enjoy HD Radio from participating stations, so you'll hear FM radio that's close to CD quality or AM radio that comes in clear and static-free. And if you're not in an area with HD Radio stations, this Kenwood's sensitive radio tuner will pick up local analog stations like a champ. You can access and control your favorite Pandora® and Spotify® stations, as well as an ever growing list of Internet Radio stations using your iPhone or Android with Bluetooth, Android Auto, or Apple CarPlay. You can also check out the incredibly deep programming offered by satellite radio by adding a SiriusXM tuner.
Heads up, a great display
You can customize the touchscreen display to your taste by choosing from a wealth of colors and backgrounds. This Kenwood plays video content in bright, clear detail when you're parked. When you're on the road, you can entertain your passengers by sending a movie from the receiver to a rear-seat screen. You can also plug in front- and rear-view cameras to play it safe in crowded parking lots. The DDX9905S also includes a direct connection for Kenwood's DRV-N520 Drive Recorder dash cam, which means you get camera control and alerts directly on the receiver's display.
An Excelon sound legacy
Got a high-res music library? You'll be jazzed that the DDX9905S supports high-res file playback, including FLAC and DSD files on a USB drive. When you're listening to music that's been compressed, Kenwood's Supreme setting helps bring back the depth and detail for all your digital music sources. If your car speakers are located down low in the doors, this receiver also offers Stage EQ, which adjusts your music's frequencies to virtually "raise" your speakers for better, more natural imaging. The built-in 13-band equalizer allows you to set up separate tone curves for your separate audio sources, while its built-in digital time alignment processor puts you right in the front row of the show. The DDX9705S also includes three pairs of 5-volt RCA preamp outputs that provide an ultra-clean signal when it's time to add amplifiers to your system.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras
The DDX9905S offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included). In a wide selection of vehicles, this module lets you keep factory features that you'd otherwise lose when you install a new radio. You'll also be able to check out engine performance data and other vehicle info on the Kenwood's screen. Once you've identified your vehicle, you'll see the iDatalink module offered on the way to the Shopping Cart if it's compatible.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
You'll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
- DVD/CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- 6.75" high-contrast capacitive touchscreen display
- customizable display background and digital angle adjustment for better in-dash visibility
- plays high-res FLAC (up to 24-bit/192 kHz) and DSD (up to 11.2 MHz) files on USB drives
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- Waze-ready with WebLink
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- hands-free calling and audio streaming with dual phone connection
- automatic iPhone and Android pairing using the USB connection
- Kenwood Music Mix feature allows music streaming and control from up to five paired smartphones
- works with Apple CarPlay and WebLink
- Android Auto compatible:
- wireless Android Auto (compatible with select phones - see "Details" for more info)
- wired Android Auto (works with most Android phones)
- music control and charging of Apple and select Android devices using the USB connections
- Pandora and Spotify control with iPhone and Android
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 13-band equalizer with digital time alignment
- Supreme setting improves the digital sound for all music sources
- Stage EQ compensates for low speaker positions
- DriveEQ boosts specific frequencies to compensate for road noise
- subwoofer level, phase, and low-pass crossover controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- direct connection and control with Kenwood's DRV-N520 Drive Recorder dash cam
- inputs: two rear USB inputs, rear A/V input (mini), front- and rear-view camera inputs
- outputs: rear A/V output (composite video and mini-jack audio), 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display)
- built-in internal amp (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- works with iDataLink Maestro module
- retains factory features in a wide selection of vehicles
- displays engine performance and other vehicle data on touchscreen
- warranty: 90 days
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DDX9905S
What's in the box:
- Refurbished DVD receiver w/ motorized 6.75" touchscreen monitor (15A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- Two 39" USB extension cables
- GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable terminated by a proprietary connector)
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle mono 3.5mm connector)
- Self-adhesive pad
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty card
Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB Memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple,Waze|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google,Waze|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||90 Days|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,WAV,FLAC,DSD|
|High-res Playback||WAV/FLAC (24-bit/192kHz), DSD (up to 11.2MHz)|
Excelon Reference (XR) Series: The DDX9905S DVD receiver is part of Kenwood's Excelon Reference (XR) series line-up. It incorporates the latest technologies and delivers the highest sonic performance. To ensure the best possible sound quality, the receiver uses custom-made and carefully selected parts; such as audio quality power supply capacitors, high quality coupling capacitors, gold-plated 5V pre-outs, and cross-shaped panel structures. These parts are further optimized through meticulous tuning of the component values and circuit paths. Kenwood's Excelon Reference (XR) series represents exceptional audio quality with long-lasting dependability.
24/32-Bit DAC: The Kenwood DDX9905S utilizes a 24/32-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality with a Signal to Noise ratio up to 90.5dB.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood DDX9905S is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the DDX9905S are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
Gold-Plated 6ch/5V Pre-Outs + Sub Control: The DDX9905S features front, rear and subwoofer 5.0-volt pre-outs. The front and rear speaker pre-outs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading and offers independent level control (-50 to +10 dB). The pre-outs are gold-plated for superior signal transfer.
Vehicle Setup: In order to optimize the sound quality in your vehicle, you can indentify the type of vehicle you have, select speaker sizes & locations, as well as configure listening distances.
- Car Type: Select your car type to automatically set the delay time of each speaker for timing adjustment of sound output of each channel to have the highest surround effect. Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Wagon, Mini Van, SUV, or Off
- Speaker Size: You can select which size speakers are in your vehicle - Tweeter (Small, Medium, Large, or None), Front & Rear (3.5", 4", 4.75", 5", 6.5", 6.75", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", 7x10" or None), and Sub (6.5", 8", 10", 12", 15" or Over, None).
- Speaker Location: You can indicate the location of your vehicle's front and speakers. Choose from "Upper Door Area", "Lower Door Area", "On Dash", "Under Dash", or "Parcel Shelf Area".
- DTA (Digital Time Alignment): For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-20') for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
High Pass & Low Pass Crossovers: The receiver offers independent high pass filters for front speakers and rear speakers, as well as a low pass crossover for the unit's sub out.
- Front & Rear: Independently set high pass filter
(HPF) for your front & rear speakers.
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Through (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Sub: Set low pass filter (LPF) for unit sub output.
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Through (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Phase: Reverse (180°), Normal (0°)
Equalizer: The Kenwood DDX9905S offers 8 EQ Presets for easy adjustment, a 13-band EQ for customized tuning, and a Drive EQ mode to overcome road noise. Separate EQ settings and EQ presets can be stored for each source or you can apply one EQ preset or curve to all sources.
- Preset EQ: The integrated equalizer offers 8 preset sound modes (Flat, Pops, Easy, Top40, Jazz, Powerful, Rock, or User 1-4) suitable for the music genre of your choice.
- 13-Band EQ: The User modes (1-4) allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 13-band EQ (62.5Hz, 100Hz, 160Hz, 250Hz, 400Hz, 630Hz, 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4kHz, 6.3kHz, 10kHz, & 16kHz). Each frequency's gain level can be adjusted from -9dB to +9 dB.
- Drive EQ: The Drive EQ mode helps you hear your music over road noise. It boosts certain frequency ranges that become hard to hear due to road noise.
Music Enhancements: You can restore the sound lost due to audio compression, as well as enhance the sound by virtually manipulating the soundscape.
- Realizer: When MP3, WMA, or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Realizer feature boosts low frequencies which can be lost during compression. Set to Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, or Off.
- Supreme: When MP3, WMA, or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
- Space Enhancer & Stage EQ: You can set the Space Enhancer to Small, Large, or Off. Each setting value indicates the soundscape level. You can also virtually raise the sound position heard from your speakers; the Stage EQ can be set to High, Middle, Low, or Off.
Volume Level & Bass Management: The DVD receiver offers several volume level adjustments to tailor the audio output of your sources. The DDX9905S also provides bass management to get the most impact out of your system.
- Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to +6.
- Dynamic Range: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
- Bass Boost & DC Extension: The DDX9905S features a four-step Bass Boost (Off/1/2/3) to enhance your music's lower frequencies. When "Bass DC Extension is turned on, frequencies lower than 6.25 Hz are set the same gain level as the unit's 7-Band EQ 62.5 Hz gain setting.
- Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes.
Source Beep: The in-dash receiver provides an audible beep to confirm source selection. This function can be turned On or Off.
6.75" Electrostatic Capacitive Touchscreen: The Kenwood DDX9905S features an all-new electrostatic capacitive touch panel and high-definition LCD panel with high luminance white LED backlighting that delivers vivid color, high-contrast, and crisp detail, as well as highly responsive touch operation. This 6.75" widescreen (16:9) electrostatic capacitive touchscreen LCD panel has a high resolution of 1280 (H) x 720 (V) x RGB with 2,764,800 total pixels, a 170° high viewing angle, 600cd/m high brightness, and 900:1 high contrast ratio. The LCD touchscreen panel features a protective film that is anti-finger print, anti-reflection, anti-glare, and anti-shatter. Touchscreen operations include tap, touch & hold, flick left or right, and swipe up or down.
- Custom Home Screen & Shortcuts: You can customize the head unit's Home Screen by rearranging the icons and moving the icons of the eight most sources you use most to the first page of the Home Screen. Three programmable shortcut source keys offer a quick jump to your favorite sources from almost any screen.
- Background Color & Wallpapers: You can choose between nine preset background colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White. You can also choose to link the displays color with the unit's front-panel variable color illumination that you set. In addition, there are six preset background images (wallpapers) or you can download your own still image (800 x 600) for use as the unit's background from a connected USB thumbdrive. You can even create a slide show of up to 500 images files stored on a USB thumbdrive for the receiver's Home screen.
- Angle Adjustment: The bottom of the touchscreen monitor can be tilted upward at six different positions to provide the best visibility in your vehicle (you can save any one of these positions to the head unit's memory).
Note: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (within harness) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display a blue screen and "Parking Off". While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, and album artwork; as well as CarPlay and Android Auto.
Front-Panel Controls w/ Variable Color Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. You can adjust the head unit's button illumination, as well as display background color from the following preset colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White or Scan (Scans through all preset colors). You can also select a custom "User" color that is adjusted between Red, Green, and Blue (values range: 0-31).
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim the head unit's display & front-panel illumination automatically when your vehicle's light switch is turned On, if you have the unit's orange/white "Illumination" wire connected to your vehicle's headlamp circuit. You can also choose to dim the display manually. The Kenwood logo and eject button remain the same brightness.
Clock & Date: The DVD receiver offers a 12-hour clock & day/month/year display. The clock is visible from any source or menu screen. With your vehicle's key in the accessory or start position, the head unit will continue to display the LCD background image, clock, and button illumination during "Standby" mode. Pressing and holding the Power/Home button turns the unit off completely.
Remote Control: The Kenwood DDX9905S offers compatibility with factory steering wheel controls (adapter sold separately) and is compatible with Kenwood's IR wireless remote control (sold separately) for added convenience. Kenwood also offers a remote application which allows you to control the receiver from your smartphone device.
- Steering Wheel Controls: The head unit features a factory steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
- Optional Remote Control: The optional Kenwood KNA-RCDV331 IR wireless remote control (113RCDV331, sold separately) unit is designed to operate this Kenwood DVD head unit. The wireless remote controller operates off of two supplied "AAA" batteries. The remote operates off of IR transmission so the KNA-RCDV331 must be pointed at the front-panel of the Kenwood head unit within direct line of sight.
- Remote S App: The Kenwood Remote S (for
Apple iOS 9.0+ and
Android OS 5.0+) is an application that will connect and control the
in-dash receiver from your compatible Apple or Android device via
Bluetooth, like a wireless remote control. This application can also display
the receiver's source information on the smartphone screen.
Wireless Android Auto: The Kenwood receiver supports the Android Auto app for select Android smartphones using a wired or wireless connection. You can connect Google's Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 3XL, Nexus 6P, and Nexus 5X (running Android OS 8.0 Oreo or higher and version 3.1 or higher of the Android Auto app) to the Kenwood receiver wirelessly using WiFi and Bluetooth (both wireless connections must be made; a wired USB connection must be made initially between the Android phone and the Kenwood receiver to setup Wireless Android Auto). Android smartphones running Lollipop 5.0 or higher can be connected to the Kenwood receiver's "grey" USB port (not "black") using the included USB extension cable and USB cable that came with your smartphone, plus be paired via Bluetooth. Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into simple on-screen "card-style" pop-ups that appear just when they're needed. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include -
- Google Assistant: The Kenwood receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, or listen to music.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Kenwood receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Kenwood receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, & Tune-In. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo.
- Only one Android device with Android Auto can be connected at a time.
- An Android Auto device and Apple CarPlay device cannot be connected at the same time.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
- Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable other than the one supplied.
- If you need an additional USB extension cable, use Kenwood's CA-U1EX USB extension cable (113CAU1EX, sold separately); any other USB extension cable can cause Android Auto to malfunction.
- Click here to learn more About Android Auto and to see what phones are compatible.
- The unit's built-in WiFi can only be used for Android Auto (not designed to be used with WiFi hotspots).
Apple CarPlay Compatible: Apple CarPlay is the smarter, safer in-vehicle interface to operate your iPhone (iOS 7.1+) with Lightning-connector. Your iPhone must be connected to the Kenwood receiver's "black" USB port (not "grey") via the included USB extension cable and the Lightning-cable that came with your Apple device or Kenwood's Lightning connector-to-USB cable (113KCIP103 sold separately). CarPlay features Siri voice control and is specially designed for driving scenarios. It also works with the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen controls. Use CarPlay to get directions, make phone calls, listen to voice mail, send/ receive messages and select music in a way that keeps you focused on the road ahead.
- Apple Maps: The power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze (coming soon), you can choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have there own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone & Messages: You'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Kenwood receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks. Control them from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Current supported apps include (fees may apply):
- Only one Apple CarPlay device can be connected at a time. Must be connected to the "black" USB port (not "grey" USB port).
- An Android Auto device and Apple CarPlay device cannot be connected at the same time.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
- If you need an additional USB extension cable, use Kenwood's CA-U1EX USB extension cable (113CAU1EX, sold separately). Any other USB extension cable can cause CarPlay to malfunction.
WebLink (for iPhone & Android):Download the Kenwood WebLink app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.4+) and connect your compatible iPhone or Android smartphone via USB to access some of your favorite apps such as YouTube and Yelp through the Kenwood DDX9905S. Your iPhone must be connected to the receiver's "black" USB port (not "grey"). Your Android smartphone should be connected to "grey" USB port (not "black"). Using these apps through the large, clear touchscreen of the DDX9905S makes WebLink a safe and easy way to access popular navigation, media, weather apps while in your vehicle.
- Yelp: Yelp uses automated software to recommend the most helpful and reliable reviews for the Yelp community among the millions submitted. The software looks at dozens of different signals, including various measures of quality, reliability, and activity on Yelp. Let Yelp help you find the best Restaurants, Hotels, Automotive Service Centers, Banks, Shopping Malls, and more. Search by Category, Favorites, Distance, Point on the Map, or Keyword. A keyword search requires that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged.
- OpenWeatherMap: Within WebLink is the OpenWeatherMap app, which gives you today's forecast and a four day outlook of the weather in your area.
- YouTube: With WebLink, you can access YouTube and play videos on the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen monitor (your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged). You can select videos from a variety of categories or search by keyword(s).
- NextRadio: The NextRadio (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.2+) lets you tune to every local FM station by using your smartphone's built-in FM chip. NextRadio lets you experience local FM radio by showing album art, station logos, and song & program details in an engaging display. NextRadio's Newsfeed lets you stay current with your favorite stations by curating a personalized display of related content based on your listening preferences. View stations' tweets, artist info, hot songs, contests, upcoming concerts, emergency alerts and more
- MediaPlayer (Audio Only): WebLink allows you to access your Apple iOS or Android devices stored music library for playback. From the DDX9905S's touchscreen, you can browse your phone's music library by Artist, Album, Genres, Playlist, or Songs. You can also search your music by typing in an artist's name or a song title (the vehicle's parking brake has to be engaged for this feature). In addition, you get playback controls such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Random/Repeat. The digital media receiver's screen will display song/artist/album information, along with album art.
- Once you have your device connected to the head unit and you have selected WebLink as the source, the WebLink app are not controllable from your Apple iOS or Android device. If you need to control the WebLink app from your smartphone, you will have to disconnect your phone's cable from the Kenwood receiver.
- The WebLink app app must be opened as the primary app on your phone. If you press the home button or go to access other apps on your phone, the WebLink apps will pause on the Kenwood receiver, until the WebLink app is the primary app again. WebLink will not work with these apps only running in the background.
- Some apps within WebLink will require that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged to operate certain functions & features of the application.
- You can only connect one iPhone or one Android smartphone (two devices cannot be connected at the same time).
iPod/iPhone Music Playback Only: If you don't desire Apple CarPlay or WebLink, you can also connect your Lightning-connector Apple iPod/iPhone to the DDX9905S for music playback & control only using Kenwood's Lightning connector-to-USB cable (113KCIP103 sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into either of the receiver's rear-panel USB ports. The Kenwood receiver supports playback of stored music and music apps, along with control and charging, plus song/artist information and album art.
- Head Unit Control: The Kenwood head unit allows you to
navigation your iPod/iPhone's music library from its front-panel &
touchscreen controls. The head unit offers unique search features like
Category Search & Link Search, plus offers basic playback functions like
Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track and Repeat/Random of
your connected iPod/iPhone. You'll also still be able to control your
connected iPod touch or iPhone from its own touchscreen so you can access
other music applications.
- Category Search: Category Search allows you to navigate your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artists, Album, Song, Genre, Song, Podcast, Audiobook, or Radio. You can then search each of these categories using the head unit's touchscreen slider function (categories will be listed in alphabetical order).
- Link Search: The head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, an artist list of the currently playing genre, or an album list of currently playing composer.
- Song/Artist Info & Album Art: The DDX9905S will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. The unit will also display song/artist info and album art from select music apps.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood DDX9905S is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 8/10/2018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||CarPlay||WebLink||Pandora||Spotify||Album Art||Song/Artist||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Notes:Cellular & Data Plan Requirements: Access to CarPlay, Android Auto, and WebLink apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Your compatible Apple or Android device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
- Only one Apple iPod or iPhone can be connected at a time. If you try and connect two Apple devices at the same time, you get the following on-screen message "Only the first connected iPod/iPhone can be used". You'll need to disconnect both devices and reconnect the one you want to listen to.
- Not compatible with 30-pin Apple devices.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
GPS Antenna: The Kenwood DDX9905S comes with a GPS antenna to enhance the performance of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay navigation maps. The GPS antenna comes with a self-stick pad which mounts it on top of your dash inside the vehicle.
Smartphone Charging: The Kenwood DDX9905S will also charge (5V/1.5A) your Android Auto compatible Android smartphone or Apple CarPlay compatible iPhone while connected via USB with the vehicle's ignition switch set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
Bluetooth 4.1: The Kenwood DDX9905S is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 4.1 allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.7 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile)
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.6 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile)
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood DDX9905S. Visit Kenwood's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
SSP & Auto Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Kenwood DDX9905S without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. You can even pair your Apple iPhone (iOS 5+) by simply connecting it to the Kenwood head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display. You can pair up to ten Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Kenwood head unit. When an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units.
- Dual Phone Connection: Thanks to the Dual Phone Connection feature, two Bluetooth-enabled phones can remain connected to the Kenwood receiver. This means you can an answer an incoming call from either phone from the head unit. Also, both of your phone's contact lists are downloaded to the receiver. To make a call from one of the phones using the Kenwood receiver, you simply have to select Phone 1 or Phone 2 on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Music Mix: The new Music Mix feature allows five Bluetooth audio source devices to be connected to the Kenwood receiver at one time, so you can switch between Bluetooth playback sources a lot easier and quicker. While "BT Audio" source is selected on the head unit, you can simply press the music playback button on your connected Bluetooth source devices to switch between devices and begin music playback. However, you cannot stream audio from two different Bluetooth audio source devices at the same time or combine music libraries or playlists from two different connected devices.
Hands-Free Communication: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled smartphone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.7) with wideband speech capability, the Kenwood DDX9905S provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The touchscreen controls of the DDX9905S can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers (All or Front only). During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's touchscreen, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately (1-30 seconds).
- Dialing a Number: Using the DDX9905S, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number from the head unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dialing: Allows you to register up to 5 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phonebook: You can download phonebook data (up to 1000 entries) from your phone to the DDX9905S. You can then dial by using the downloaded phone book and search it alphabetically.
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls (up to 50 entries total).
- Voice Dialing: If your smartphone supports voice recognition (including Siri and Google Voice), then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
Note: This unit allows you to answer a call or dial out using any option without engaging the vehicle's parking brake.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Kenwood DDX9905S supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display and support for AAC lossless music streaming. You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Kenwood DDX9905S for playback.
- SBC & AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the DDX9905S offers support of AAC codecs for higher quality audio streaming from select Apple devices. By supporting AAC, the DDX9905S offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Advanced Music Playback: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the DDX9905S lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc. (AVRCP 1.4-up phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Kenwood DDX9905S has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's "VOICE" button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the DDX9905S and its microphone. You can even ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit's LCD touchscreen will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Kenwood DDX9905S; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
External Microphone: The Kenwood DDX9905S includes an external microphone to carry on your side of your phone conversation and voice command dialing. The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. You can adjust the volume level, echo cancellation, and noise reduction of the microphone without affecting the other sources. The external microphone features an attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash.
Internet Radio Apps (for iPhone & Android): You can access Pandora & Spotify online music services on your USB or Bluetooth connected iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone through the Kenwood DDX9905S receiver. You can also access Apple Music Radio through your USB or Bluetooth connected iPhone. Your compatible mobile device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
- Pandora: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ or Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the DDX9905S using your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. The Kenwood DDX9905S provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically, or shuffle playback stations in your list. New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also select stations from a Genre list. In addition, you can skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. An active Pandora account is required.
- Spotify: The DDX9905S has the ability to playback & control content from the Spotify music app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 4.0+) on your USB or Bluetooth connected iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. You can play, pause and skip tracks, browse playlists, albums and radio stations through the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen & front-panel controls. You can even create your stations by entering a track, artist, or playlist. You also get song/artist information on the unit's LCD touchscreen. If you are a Spotify Premium user (requires a monthly paid subscription), you can enjoy ad-free, high quality music even when there is no internet connection.
- Apple Music Radio (iPhone Only): You can playback Apple Music Radio on your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iOS 9.3.5+ device through the Kenwood DDX9905S. With a WiFi or cellular connection on your iPhone, you can listen to Beats 1 and other live radio stations through the Kenwood receiver. Apple Music subscribers can also listen to on-demand stations for almost any genre or create their own stations. You can use the head unit's touchscreen to select between your Apple Music Radio stations. The touchscreen will also display song/artist/album information, along with Album art.
Note: Access to these Internet Radio services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Kenwood DDX9905S is SiriusXM 3.0 Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 140+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, Song Title, & Album Art can be viewed on the head unit's LCD.
- Smart Favorite Presets: Up to 20 SiriusXM Satellite
Radio station presets can be saved. Up to 6 of your SiriusXM presets on the
current band are recognized as Smart Favorites for advanced features such as
TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix.
- TuneStart: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite channel.
- TuneScan: TuneScan plays the first 6 seconds of each song that has not been listened to from each of the channels which you have saved as Smart Favorites.
- TuneMix: TuneMix plays a unique blend of songs from your Smart Favorite preset music channels from the current SiriusXM preset band, allowing you to build a custom channel from as few as two to as many as six music channels.
- Instant Replay: You can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of current channel. You'll also be able to rewind and replay the last 30 minutes of content from your six Smart Favorite channels.
- Alerts: Receive alerts of your favorite song or artist,
favorite sports teams, plus traffic and weather.
- Content Alerts: When a broadcast program related to the your favorite artist or song starts, a message appears to allow you to switch to that station.
- Sports Flash: Sports Flash will notify you when a big play happens during a game with one your favorite sports teams. You can choose to tune to that station or continue to listening to the previous channel.
- Traffic & Weather Now: Traffic & Weather Now allows you to access the latest report whenever you want to hear it by city.
- Parental Control: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
HD Radio: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo (80dB SNR @ 40-15kHz), while FM digital will have CD-like quality (80 dB SNR @ 20-20kHz) with static free and clear reception. The unit's built-in HD Radio tuner allows analog AM/FM tuning as well.
- Seek Modes + Direct Access Tuning: You can choose one of three seek modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual. You can also setup the DDX9905S to search only HD Radio stations. In addition, you can directly access an AM/FM station by entering in the frequency number using the unit's LCD touchscreen.
- Tuner Presets: You can store 15 FM presets and 5 AM presets (total of 20). Not only does the DVD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
- Station Info/Album Art AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles; as well as Album Art.
- Multicasting & Emergency Alerts: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8). HD Radio also delivers critical and life-saving messages to the public during emergency situations.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Compatible Discs: The Kenwood receiver's touchscreen monitor electronically slides down for loading and ejecting discs. The Kenwood DDX9905S supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs. The unit supports a variety of audio & video files recorded onto a CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW disc (see chart below).
- Disc Auto Reload: The unit will automatically reinsert a disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
- Parental Control (DVD only): Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
USB MSC Playback (Dual USB Ports): The Kenwood DDX9905S features two rear-panel USB inputs (one is "black" and the other is "grey"). Each rear-panel USB input consists of a USB (type-A) port attached to the rear-chassis by a 7" pigtail and comes with a 39" USB extension cable. These USB ports can be used for connection and control of up to two portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) devices, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital music player. The USB ports enable playback of a variety of audio (including Hi-Res), video, and photo files stored on a compatible USB memory device (see chart below). USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB ports (5V/1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- Category Search: You can navigate music stored on your USB memory device by Playlist, Artist, Song, or Album. Once a category is selected, you can search the contents alphabetically.
- Link Search: Link Search allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. The head unit can create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, an artist list of the currently playing genre, or an album list of currently playing composer.
- Two USB mass storage class devices or USB thumbdrives can be connected at the same time; you can switch back and forth between devices (it does not combine the libraries).
- The USB ports do not support MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), AOA (Android Open Accessory), USB hubs, or card-readers.
- You can connect an Android smartphone with Android Auto and a USB thumbdrive at the same time.
- You can connect an Apple iPod/iPhone to the "black" USB port and a USB thumbdrive to the "grey" USB port at the same time.
File Compatibility: The Kenwood DDX9905S supports the following types of audio (including Hi-Res), video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (MSC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long File Name||FAT 16/32, ex FAT NTFS|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3/WMA/AAC:
bit rate of 8-320kbps; sampling
frequency of 16-48kHz |
WAV/FLAC: bit depth of 16/24-bit; sampling frequency of 16-48kHz
Vorbis: variable bit-rate; sampling frequency of 16-48kHz
bit rate of 8-320kbps; sampling
frequency of 16-48kHz |
WAV/FLAC (High-Res): bit depth of 16/24-bit; sampling frequency of 16-192kHz
DSD (Hi-Res): bit depth of 1-bit; sampling frequency of 2.8, 5.6, 11.2MHz
Vorbis: variable bit-rate; sampling frequency of 16-48kHz
|Video||MPEG-1: max resolution of 352 x 240 or 352 x 288;
max bit-rate of 1.5Mbps |
MPEG-2: max resolution of 720 x 480 or 720 x 576; max bit-rate of 8Mbps
MPEG-4/H.264: max resolution of 1920 x 1080 (30fps); max bit-rate of 8Mbps
WMV/MKV: max resolution of 1920 x 1080 (30fps); max bit-rate of 8Mbps
|Photo||N/A||JPEG: 32 x 32 to 8192 x 7680|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||5,000 folders/5,000 files (999 files per folder)||Unlimited folders/9,999 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags, WMA/AAC/FLAC-tags, & Album Art|
High Resolution Audio Playback: The Kenwood DVD receiver supports playback of high-resolution FLAC & WAV music files (up to 24-bit/192kHz), as well as DSD music files (up to 11MHz/1-bit) via USB. High-Resolution Audio is high-quality sound that exceeds CD standard. High-resolution audio captures and beautifully expresses all the details of your favorite music.
Folder/Track List: The Folder/Track List allows you to search folders and audio/video/picture files stored on a disc or USB device.
Song/Artist Info with Album Art: The Kenwood DDX9905S will display song/artist information as well as album art for MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC music tracks (if encoded).
Firmware Updates (via USB): The unit's operating system is updateable via free downloadable software from Kenwood's support site. Firmware downloads assist in maintaining system performance when using external devices and emerging technologies. Firmware/software updates can be downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive from your computer and then inserted into the head unit's USB port and uploaded. Go to Kenwood's Support Site for the latest firmware/software updates.
AV Input: The Kenwood DDX9905S DVD receiver is fitted with a rear-panel minijack (3.5mm) audio/video input to connect external AV sources, such as a game system, Blu-ray player, or TV tuner.
AV Output (with Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output AV signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. The unit's AV output can be set to Disc, AV-In, USB, or Off. Volume of the second zone can be controlled by the DVD receiver or your rear entertainment system.
- If you select USB, iPod, Disc, Spotify, Pandora, or Bluetooth as the main source; you cannot select USB as the AV output source.
- If you select WebLink (YouTube), CarPlay, or Android Auto as the main source; you cannot select Disc or USB as the AV output.
Note: WebLink (YouTube), CarPlay, and Android Auto cannot be displayed through the receiver's video output.
Rear & Front Camera Inputs: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as the Kenwood CMOS-230 (113CMOS230, sold separately). By connecting a rear view camera, you can use the in-dash receiver's touchscreen LCD to see what's behind you when backing up. There is also a composite video input for connecting a front dash-cam (sold separately), so you can display what's ahead of you on the head unit's touchscreen LCD monitor.
- Parking Guide Lines: When a rear-view camera is connected and you are viewing a rear view image, parking guide lines appear on-screen making parking easy and safer. There are three color-coded horizontal guidelines and two vertical guidelines.
- Rear-View Auto Switching: The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The purple/white wire of the wiring harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.8 seconds.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
Dash Cam Ready: In addition to the front camera input, the DDX9905S is equipped with a proprietary "Dash Cam" control input for connecting Kenwood's DRV-N520 dashboard camera (113DRV520, sold separately). The DRV-N520 offers high resolution 1080p recording, plus motion detection technology. The dashboard camera's live and recorded video are displayed on the DDX9905S' touchscreen. You'll also control the DRV-N520's settings and parameters from the receiver's touchscreen.
OEM Integration: This Kenwood DVD receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Kenwood receiver to work with select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system; as well as select GM vehicles with factory OnStar; select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, plus select Honda/Acura, Toyota/Scion, Volkswagen & Subaru vehicles with factory digital amplifiers.
- Retained Features: The iDatalink Maestro RR lets Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, GM, Dodge/Chrysler, and VW owners swap out their factory radio for this aftermarket Kenwood head unit; while retaining the Ford Sync system, GM OnStar system, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect system, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, USB interface, Satellite Radio, and 911 assist. You also get to keep the hands-free mic that comes with the car (which is specially tuned to that particular vehicle). *Retained features will vary by vehicle.
- Extra Features: In some installations, the iDatalink Maestro RR lets you configure the head unit to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist. *Extra features will vary by vehicle.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Kenwood receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?