About the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502
Slim and sleek radio goodness
Slim and sleek radio goodness
Kenwood Excelon receivers carry a long tradition of high-quality components and a ton of features for the money. The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 CD receiver fits right in by offering deep tone controls, lots of customization options, and a bevy of sources to choose from, including Bluetooth audio streaming and Internet radio capabilities. They also moved inputs to the rear for a cleaner look and larger display.
Bluetooth® for multiple phones
For the times when you're sharing the ride, the KDC-X502 enables you to pair two Bluetooth-equipped phones and quickly switch between them for hands-free calling. And when you're streaming audio, Kenwood's Music Mix feature lets you pair five phones so everybody can pick their tunes for the ultimate road trip party. You can also control this stereo directly from your iPhone® or Android™ phone using Kenwood's free Remote app.
Lots of music options
The KDC-X502 offers direct control over a connected iPod or iPhone. You can also play, control, and charge select Android phones that are plugged into the one of the two rear USB ports using the receiver's built-in AOA (Android Open Accessory 2.0). You can enjoy your favorite Pandora®, Spotify®, and iHeartRadio® Internet Radio stations from your iPhone or from your Android. And if that isn't enough music for you, you can also satisfy your music fix using the receiver's rear aux input for a portable music player. Both USB ports can handle MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, or FLAC music files on a thumb drive, too.
Satellite radio rocks
You can check out the incredibly deep programming offered by satellite radio by adding a SiriusXM tuner to this Kenwood. Ask anyone who travels for a living — there's nothing better than finding a great SiriusXM station, then listening to it for the duration of your trip.
If you're someone who likes to customize your sights and sounds, you can start with a robust 13-band equalizer and digital time alignment to get the sound just right. Variable color illumination lets you pick the display and button colors for the perfect accent to your dash. This receiver also provides three sets of high-voltage RCA preamp outputs, so you can amplifiers to your system for additional power and control for your speakers.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays USB drives loaded with MP3, AAC, WMA, WAV, and FLAC music files (See Details tab for model compatibility)
- detachable face with 16-digit LCD display and variable-color illumination
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming with dual phone connection
- built-in Android AOA control and charging of select Android devices (Android version 4.1 and higher) using the USB connection
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (See Details tab for model compatibility)
- Pandora, Spotify, and iHeartRadio Internet radio control with iPhone and Android
- Music Mix feature allows music streaming playback and control from up to five paired smartphones
- control the stereo using Kenwood's free Remote app
- 13-band graphic equalizer with digital time alignment
- bass boost and loudness controls
- subwoofer low-pass filter, phase, and level controls
- compatible with SiriusXM tuner
- inputs: rear auxiliary input and dual rear USB ports
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Other Features and Specs:
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 90 days
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KDC-X502
What's in the box:
- Refurbished CD receiver (10A fuse)
- Face (attached)
- Trim ring (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- 2 Removal tools
- 4 Countersunk ISO-screws
- 4 Pan-head ISO-screws
- Pan-head screw (w/ lock-/flat-washer)
- Face-fixing screw
- Instruction Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty Card
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502
Features & specs
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||90 Days|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|FM Sensitivity||8.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,WAV,FLAC|
|High-res Playback||FLAC (96kHz)|
Bluetooth 3.0: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (ver. 3.0) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.5 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502. Visit Kenwood's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
SSP & USB Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. You can even pair your Apple iPhone (iOS 5+) or Android smartphone (running Kenwood Music Play App) by simply connecting it to the Kenwood head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display.
- Dual Phone Connection: Thanks to the Dual Phone Connection feature, two Bluetooth-enabled phones can remain connected to the Kenwood receiver. This means you can an answer an incoming call from either phone from the head unit. Also, both of your phone's contact lists are downloaded to the receiver. To make a call from one of the phones using the Kenwood receiver, you simply have to select Phone 1 or Phone 2 on the head unit's front-panel.
- Music Mix: The new Music Mix feature allows five Bluetooth audio source devices to be connected to the Kenwood receiver at one time, so you can switch between Bluetooth playback sources a lot easier and quicker. While "BT Audio" source is selected on the head unit, you can simply press the music playback button on your connected Bluetooth source devices to switch between devices and begin music playback. However, you cannot stream audio from two different Bluetooth audio source devices at the same time or combine music libraries or playlists from two different connected devices.
Note: You can pair up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Kenwood head unit. When an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units.
Bluetooth Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The controls of the KDC-X502 can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's front-panel controls, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately or after 1-30 seconds. The KDC-X502 also supports the Call Waiting function, so you can answer another incoming call while suspending the current call you are on. Your compatible cell-phone must also support this feature.
- Dialing a Number: Using the KDC-X502, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Enter Phone #: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 32 digits from the head unit's control knob or remote control.
- Preset Dial: Allows you to register up to 6 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's front-panel controls.
- Phone Book: You can download phone book data from your mobile phone to the KDC-X502. You can then dial a contact within the phonebook from the head unit's front-panel controls. Contacts are categorized as Home, Office, Mobile, Other, or General.
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls.
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
External Mic: The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. You can adjust the volume level, noise cancellation, and echo cancellation of the microphone without affecting the other sources. The external microphone features an attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player. You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 for playback.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the KDC-X502 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the KDC-X502 offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Advanced Music Browsing: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the KDC-X502 lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's Answer Button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the KDC-X502 and its microphone. You even can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit's display will only indicate hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
- Hand Mode: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 supports Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0), which lets you connect your Android smartphone (OS 4.1+) to the KDC-X502's rear-panel USB ports and listen to stored music and music apps from your Android device through the Kenwood head unit. You'll be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. Other advanced music navigation will still be done from your Android smartphone's touchscreen. In this mode, the head unit will not display song/artist information; only "Hand Mode" will show up on display. You'll continue to view song/artist information from the Android device's touchscreen. You'll also still be able to access other functions and applications from your Android smartphone's touchscreen, while listening to music through the head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
- Browse Mode (via Kenwood Music Play App): Downloading the Kenwood Music Play app onto your Android (OS 4.1+) smartphone with AOA 2.0 support not only allows you to listen to stored music from your Android device through the Kenwood CD receiver connected via USB, but it also lets you browse your Android smartphone's music library from the head unit's front-panel controls. You can browse your store music library by Playlist, Artist, Song, Album, or Genre. The contents of a Playlist or Category can be searched alphabetically or numerically; you can even skip through the stored music files in specific increments (0.5/1/5/10%). You can also control Play/Pause and Previous/Next track from the head unit. In addition, the head unit will display song/artist information. You can exit the Kenwood Music Play app to access other functions and applications of your Android smartphone, while your stored music library is still playing through your head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
iPhone Direct Connection: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502's rear-panel USB ports can be used to connect your Lightning Apple device or 30-pin iPhone 4S to the head unit. The USB connection allows for playback of stored music and music apps on your iPod or iPhone through Kenwood receiver. If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use Kenwood's Lightning connector-to-USB cable (113KCIP103 sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the KDC-X502. If you have an iPhone 4S with a 30-pin dock connector, you can use the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device or a 3rd party "Made for iPod/iPhone" certified dock-to-USB cable (sold separately) to connect your iPhone 4S to the KDC-X502.
- Head Unit Control: From the head unit's front-panel controls you can search for stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, and Composer. The contents of a Playlist or Category can be searched alphabetically or numerically; you can even skip through the stored music files in specific increments (0.5/1/5/10%). The KDC-X502 also supports Repeat (file/all) and Random (album/all) playback functions of stored music on your iPod/iPhone. In addition, you'll be able to control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) from stored music and select music apps streamed to your iPhone. You can also choose to control your Apple device from its own touchscreen, instead of the head unit.
- Song/Artist Info Display: The KDC-X502 will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information such as Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album title.
Smartphone Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected Apple iPod/iPhone or Android smartphone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 11/28/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Music Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Remote App||Pandora||Spotify||iHeart Radio||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Internet Radio Apps: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 allows you to access Pandora, Spotify, and iHeartRadio online music services through your USB-connected or Bluetooth-connected iPhone, or Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the KDC-X502 via the Kenwood KCA-iP103 cable (sold separately), the cable supplied with your iPhone, or through Bluetooth. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
- Pandora App: The free Pandora App (or Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 using your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically. New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down, as well as bookmark song information. An active Pandora account is required.
- Spotify: The KDC-X502 has the ability to playback & control content from the Spotify music app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 4.0+) on your USB or Bluetooth connected iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. You can play, pause and skip tracks, browse playlists, albums and radio stations through the Kenwood receiver's front-panel controls. You can even create your stations by entering a track, artist, or playlist. You also get song/artist information on the unit's LCD touchscreen. If you are a Spotify Premium user (requires a monthly paid subscription), you can enjoy ad-free, high quality music even when there is no internet connection.
- iHeartAuto: The free iHeartAuto app for Kenwood (for Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the iHeartRadio music service through the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 using your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. The iHeartRadio music service provides access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from coast-to-coast (including pop, country, urban, rock, talk, and sports). The KDC-X502 will provide control over the iHeartRadio Auto app, as well as display station identification and song/artist information. From the head unit's front-panel controls, iHeartRadio stations can be searched by the following categories (Local, Genre, City, or My Stations). The Local selection provides a list of radio stations in your local listening area. The unit also provides over 22 Genres to choose from (including pop, country, hip-hop, jazz, etc.) to help you find the right radio station for you. In addition, you can search for radio stations by City. Cities can be searched alphabetically. You can even store your favorite stations (My Stations) for easier, quicker access. An active iHeartRadio account is required.
Note: Access to these Internet Radio services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: The Channel list displays a list of all available channels. You can also search and list channels in specific categories.
- Song/Artist Info: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD.
- SmartFavorite Presets: Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite
Radio station presets can be saved. These 18 SiriusXM presets are
automatically identified as SmartFavorites for advanced features such as
Replay, TuneStart & TuneScan (see below).
- Replay: When you select a SmartFavorite preset you can rewind and replay up to 30 minutes of any of the missed news, talk, sports or music content.
- TuneStart: With the TuneStart enabled, playback will automatically start from the beginning of a song when you tune to a SmartFavorite preset channel.
- TuneScan: TuneScan gives you a short preview of the songs that you have missed on each of your Smart Favorite Preset music channels or currently tuned music channel.
- Parental Control: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with RDS. You can choose one of four tuning methods: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual.
- Presets: The KDC-X502's tuner features 3 FM banks (1,
2, 3) and 1 AM bank for storing presets. Not only does the CD receiver's
tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have
the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks
automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling. The Kenwood
KDC-X502 offers two preset modes.
- Normal: You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets (total of 24).
- Mix: A total of 6 preset stations can be assigned to the head unit's 6 preset buttons, regardless of AM/FM band. This lets you recall a preset station without switching between bands.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs.
- CD Read: This function sets the method for reading a CD disc. You can choose between two modes - CD1 (automatically distinguishes between audio file disc and music CD when playing a CD or CD-R/RW disc) or CD2 (when unable to play a special formatted CD, set this function to CD2 to force playing; some music CD discs may be unplayable even when set to this mode).
- Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
- Auto Reload: If the ejected disc is not removed within 15 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust.
Note: For proper disc playback you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
USB Mass Storage Devices: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 features two rear-panel USB (type-A) ports that are attached to the rear-chassis via 39" cables. The USB ports enable connection of USB mass storage class (MSC) devices like USB thumbdrives, USB card readers, or portable digital audio players. You can insert a compatible USB MSC device into the head unit's USB port for playback, control, and song/artist display of a variety of music files.
- Drive Change: The Drive Change feature lets you switch between multiple memory cards (up to 4) in a USB multi-card reader. When a mass storage class (MSC) compatible compatible portable digital audio player is connected to the head unit's USB input, the unit's DRive Change features lets you select between the device's internal memory or external memory (such as a microSD card) for stored music playback.
- USB Charging: USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB ports (max. 1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: Not compatible with USB hubs.
Compatible Music Files: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 supports the following types of music files recorded onto CD-R/RW discs or loaded onto USB mass storage class devices.
|Media Type||CD (-R/RW)||USB (MSC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, or Windows long file name||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||
MP3: bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 32-192 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz
MP3: bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 32-192 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz
WAV: bit depth of 16-bit w/ sampling frequency of 44.1kHz
FLAC: bit depth of 24-bit w/ sampling frequency of 96kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||999 folders/20,480 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag, AAC tag, FLAC tag, WAV tag|
Playback & Search Functions: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 offers a variety of playback and search functions to help you find and enjoy your music on disc and USB.
- Music Search: The Kenwood AM/FM CD receiver features a Music Search feature which allows you to scroll through and select your music folders and files, as well as scroll through your audio CD's music tracks using the head unit's rotary knob.
- Repeat & Random: You can repeat the playback of a music file or folder on a CD or USB device. You can also randomly play back all files on a disc or within a folder of a USB device.
- Last Position Memory: If the unit is shut off or switched to the tuner mode while a CD or USB is playing, the next time CD or USB is selected as the source, playback will resume from the point where it left off.
Aux In: The unit is equipped with a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack auxiliary input that can be used to input audio from a portable audio source, such as a portable MP3 player. The Aux input must be turned on to function.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KDC-X502 are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6Ch/5V Pre-Outs + Sub Control: The KDC-X502 is fitted with front, rear and subwoofer 5-volt pre-outs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading and features independent level control (-50 to +10)
Vehicle Settings: In order to optimize the sound quality in your vehicle, you can indentify the type of vehicle you have, select speaker sizes & locations, as well as configure listening distances.
- Car Type: Select your car type to automatically set the delay time of each speaker for timing adjustment of sound output of each channel to have the highest surround effect. Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Wagon, Mini Van, SUV, or Off
- Speaker Size: You can select which size speakers are in your vehicle - Tweeter (Small, Medium, Large, or None), Front & Rear (3.5", 4", 4.75", 5", 6.5", 6.75", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", 7x10" or None), and Sub (6.5", 8", 10", 12", 15" or Over, None).
- Rear Speaker Location: You can indicate the location of your vehicle's Rear speakers. Choose from Door, Rear Deck, 2nd Row, or 3rd Row.
- DTA (Digital Time Alignment): For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-20') for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
High Pass & Low Pass Crossovers: You are able to select independent high pass crossovers for your tweeters, front speakers, and rear speakers; as well as a low pass crossover for the head unit's sub output.
- Tweeter: Set high pass filter (HPF) for tweeters.
- Frequency: 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4kHz, 5kHz, 6.3kHz, 8kHz, 10kHz, 12.5kHz
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Front & Rear: Independently set high pass filter (HPF)
for front & rear speakers.
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Through (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Sub: Set low pass filter (LPF) for the sub output.
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Through (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Phase: Reverse (180°), Normal (0°)
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
Equalizer: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 offers 8 EQ Presets for east adjustment, a 13-band EQ for customized tuning, a Drive EQ mode to overcome road noise, and a Stage EQ for better imaging. Separate EQ settings and EQ presets can be stored for each source or you can apply one EQ preset or curve to all sources.
- Preset EQ: The integrated equalizer offers 8 preset sound modes (Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Natural, Drive EQ, or User) suitable for the music genre of your choice.
- 13-Band EQ: The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 13-band EQ (62.5Hz, 100Hz, 160Hz, 250Hz, 400Hz, 630Hz, 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4kHz, 6.3kHz, 10kHz, & 16kHz). Each frequency's gain level can be adjusted from -9dB to +9 dB, while the Q-factor can be adjusted to 1.35, 1.5, or 2.0
- Drive EQ: The Drive EQ mode helps you hear your music over road noise. It boosts certain frequencies ranges that becomes hard to hear due to road noise.
- Stage EQ: Stage EQ virtually lifts the sound up to ear-level for better imaging inside your vehicle.
Audio Settings: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 offers a variety of audio settings to further enhance your music listening experience.
- Sound Reconstruction: When MP3, WMA, AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Sound Reconstruction function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When Sound Reconstruction is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
- Space Enhancer & Sound Realizer: The Spacer Enhancer widens the soundstage inside your vehicle, while the Sound Realizer makes your music sound more realistic.
- Loudness, Bass Boost & Bass Extension: The Loudness feature boosts low and high frequencies to produce a well-balanced sound at a low volume level. The unit's Bass Boost enhances low bass frequencies at any volume level. There is also a Bass Extension feature which further enhances the unit's bass output at extremely low frequencies.
- Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -15 to +6.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Remote App (for iOS & Android): The Kenwood Remote App is an application for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.4+ that controls the Kenwood receiver like a wireless remote control from your compatible Apple iOS device (via Bluetooth or USB) or Android device (via Bluetooth only). The Kenwood Remote App provides traditional touchscreen control, as well as directional and freeform gesture control from your compatible mobile device.
- Source Information & Control: The Kenwood Remote App provides a Source Control screen with a list of the receiver's built-in sources and connected sources to choose from, so you can change the head unit's source from your mobile device. Once an input is selected, the app displays source information such as station number, track number & playback time, as well as song/artist information (when applicable). From the the app, you can also seek stations and tracks, as well as Play and Pause your music.
- Audio Settings: From the application on your mobile device, you can adjust the receiver's volume up or down. In addition, audio settings such as EQ, Crossover, DTA, and other audio adjustments can be easily set using the Kenwood Remote application.
- Media Player: The application's Media Player screen lets you playback your device's stored music library through the Kenwood receiver. From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can control basic playback functions like Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track and Repeat/Random. The Android version of the app even lets you browse your music library by category (Song/Album/Artist/Playlist/Mood). Song, artist, and album information (along with Album Art) will displayed on your Apple iOS or Android device's touchscreen.
- App Launcher (Android only): The App Launcher feature of the Android version of the Kenwood Remote app lets you access 3rd party applications within the Kenwood Remote app's user interface. The App Launcher can contain up to 24 of your favorite apps for quick access.
- You will need to indicate within the head unit's menu what type of device (Apple iOS or Android) you'll be using the Kenwood Remote App on before the application will connect and function with the receiver.
- When using the Kenwood Remote App with your compatible Apple iOS device, the application and device must be connected to the receiver via Bluetooth (not USB) for playback of Bluetooth audio. For playback of a USB-direct connection from an Apple iOS device, the device and application must be connected to the head unit via USB (not Bluetooth).
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Optional IR Remote: The KDC-X502 is compatible with Kenwood's IR remote control (RC-406, sold separately) for wireless operation of the receiver.
Detachable Face w/ Hidden CD Slot: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 features a hidden CD slot behind a manual flip-up cover which blends into the front-panel of the head unit. The KDC-X502 also features a detachable face to deter theft (no face case provided). An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
1.5 Line Display: The KDC-X502 is equipped with a 16 digit 1.5 line LCD screen. You can select between English or Spanish text.
Variable Color Illumination: The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 features variable color display and button illumination. You can choose from one of 24 preset colors, have the unit scan through all 24 preset colors continuously, or customize your own color (RGB; 0-9). The custom setting allows you to individually adjust the intensity of Red, Green, and Blue (from 0-9) to better match your vehicle's interior lights. The same color setting is applied to both the display and buttons, or you can choose a different color for Zone 1 and Zone 2 (see owner's manual illustration). The Kenwood logo remains red.
Brightness & Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the LCD and button illumination independently or together (from 0-31). You can also dim (on or off) the display and button illumination. You can even set a specific time for the "Off" and "On" dimmer setting to be activated.
Text Scroll: The KDC-X502 will display song/artist information text from CD, USB, Bluetooth, iPhone, and Android. You can set the text scrolling feature to three different modes (Auto, Once, or Off) to scroll longer titles across the screen.
12Hr/24Hr Clock: The head unit can be set to display a 12hr or 24hr clock. The unit also displays the day (Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, or Sat). The clock is only displayed when selected and does not displayed simultaneously with song/artist or station information. The day & time can be selected to remain on, even if the head unit is switched off (as long as the vehicle's key is in the accessory or start position).
Demo Mode: This unit features a Demo mode which can be turned On or Off within the menu.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked