About the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X693
Superb sound and a great iPod interface
Superb sound and a great iPod interface
The Kenwood Excelon KDC-X693 CD receiver makes it easy to use your iPod® in your vehicle. Its direct iPod connection lets you control your playlists and albums with the receiver's controls, along with a multi-line display that shows off your artist and song info. Hook your iPod to the receiver's USB input, and you'll bypass your iPod's digital-to-analog converter, allowing the Kenwood's superior 24-bit DAC to make your files sound their best.
Find that song fast
Grab the big jog dial and skip through your files in 10% jumps, or search alphabetically the choice is yours. Plus, your passengers can use the iPod's controls to switch songs if you want to concentrate on the drive. You'll also find a rear auxiliary input for MP3 players and other audio sources. If you're not using an iPod, you can load up a thumb drive with MP3, WMA, and AAC files and connect it to the rear USB input.
Sound Excellence DSP
Kenwood's Sound Excellence DSP offers digital sound enhancements designed to give you the best possible sound in your vehicle. iPod EQ features a set of sound adjustments voiced specifically for your iPod, including 22 presets. Highway Sound optimizes your music so it can be better heard over the road noise, while the Supreme + feature improves sound quality by enhancing the frequencies in your digital files that get compressed during conversion.
The Digital E's crossover feature allows you to trim some of the lows out of your front and rear speakers and adjust the low frequencies going to your powered sub, so your equipment plays more efficiently. If you're building a full system, the three sets of preamp outputs send a strong 4-volt signal to your amps for superior sound quality and lower noise levels.
Connect a Kenwood satellite radio to the KDC-X693, and enjoy the mix of news, sports, entertainment, and commercial-free music. Kenwood's HD Radio tuner lets you access the superior fidelity and extra programming offered by participating stations in your area.
The receiver's customizable display illumination lets you set the display and button to one of 10 preset colors, or customize the color range to match your dashboard lights.
Safety on the highway
Kenwood's optional Bluetooth adapter allows you to make hands-free calls with your compatible phone. When a call comes in, the KDC-X693 mutes the music so you can converse over the car speakers. You'll also get a full-function remote control, so your passengers can pick the next tune or adjust the audio without hassling the driver.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check Hands-on Research for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- CD player with built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3,WMA, and AAC files
- detachable face
- remote control
- Sound Excellence DSP (3-band parametric equalizer, iPod EQ, Highway Sound, Digital E's crossover)
- high-pass filters (speaker and preamp outputs), low-pass filter (sub preamp output)
- speaker settings that let you tailor the sound to the size and type of speakers in your car
- iPod direct control via USB input no adapter necessary, but adding Kenwood's optional connecting cable lets you leave your iPod cable at home
- compatible with Kenwood's satellite radio, CD changer, Bluetooth adapter and HD Radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB and auxiliary inputs
- outputs: 6-channel 4-volt preamp outputs (front, rear, subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- Refurbished AM/FM/CD receiver with 10-amp fuse inserted into the chassis
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- RC-547 Wireless remote
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Soft fabric face case
- 2 Removal tools
- 4 Panhead ISO-mount screws
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- 2 Face-fixing screws
- Machine screw
- Philips-head mounting screw
- Kenwood Music Editor CD-ROM (ver.2.1.0)
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (Spa/Fre)
- Warranty Card
- "Attention" sheet (taped to unit)
- Music Editor note
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X693 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X693
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Rear and Optional Rear|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Sirius|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||90 Days|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Overview: The Kenwood KDC-X693 AM/FM CD receiver features a detachable fold-down face, rear-panel auxiliary and USB input, three pairs of 4.0-volt preamp outputs, built-in iPod operation, Satellite and HD Radio controls (with optional tuner) and CD-changer controls, as well as AAC/MP3/WMA playback. The unit also supports Bluetooth via an optional adapter sold separately. In addition, the CD player comes with an IR wireless remote control. The unit's amplifier is rated at 22 watts x 4 channel RMS and 50 watts x 4 channel peak.
Detachable Fold-Down Face: The unit features a fold-down, detachable face to deter theft. There is a red indicator light that will flash on the unit after the face has been removed to warn potential thieves. You can turn this flashing LED on or off. The CD player comes supplied with a soft black fabric, draw string face case to protect the detachable face when you have it off the chassis. You must manually fold the face down before inserting or ejecting a disc.
Security Code: You can enter a 4-digit security code which must be used when the unit is removed from the vehicle, or the constant power source is disconnected from the unit. When constant power is restored to the unit, the security code must be entered before the unit becomes operational.
Dual Rotary Knobs: The KDC-X693 features two rotary control dials (one 3-way and one 7-way) to make playback and adjustment of your music as simple as possible.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood KDC-X693 utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior CD sound quality.
AAC/MP3/WMA Playback: The KDC-X693 can play AAC (8-320 kbps), MP3 (8-320 kbps) and WMA (48-192 kbps) files recorded on CD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW discs in ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, and Long file name formats. Each disc should have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 50 folders, and 255 files per folder with a maximum of 512 files and folders. During MP3/WMA playback, the unit displays any recorded ID3 Tag (Ver.1) information. The headunit will display up to 30 characters.
Supreme+ Setting: When MP3, WMA or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme+ Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme+ Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
Music Search: The Kenwood AM/FM CD receiver features a Music Search feature which allows you to scroll through and select your MP3/WMA music folders and files, as well as scroll through your audio CD's music tracks using the headunit's rotary knob.
CD Force: When there is a problem with playing a CD with a special format, this setting plays the CD by force. Some CDs still may not play in the CD Force mode.
Last Position Memory: If the unit is shut off or switched to the tuner mode while a CD is playing, the next time CD is selected as the source, playback will resume from the point where it left off.
Off Eject: The KDC-X693 allows you to eject your disc for 10 minutes after switching off the vehicles engine.
CR-2 Advanced Tuner: This unit uses Kenwood's CR-2 Advanced tuner for clear radio reception. You can choose one of three tuning modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual.
Auto Memory Tuning: Not only does the CD receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling. The tuner features 3 FM banks (1, 2, 3) and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each AM/FM bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
Clean Reception System Circuit (CRSC): This circuit controls multi-path distortion by reducing stereo separation. As stereo separation is reduced, multi-path has less effect on the radio signal, improving reception in areas with tall buildings and mountains. The CRSC circuit can be turned on or off.
Radio Data System (RDS): The unit's tuner features RDS (Radio Data System). RDS is a service used by some radio stations to transmit data outside of normal radio broadcast signals. When an RDS station is received, you can immediately find out what kind of data is being transmitted by looking at the program service name. RDS features an emergency transmission function that interrupts regular programming to broadcast an emergency announcement (such as a tornado or severe storm). There is also a switchable Traffic Information function, which will automatically tune a traffic bulletin when it is broadcast, even when you are not listening to the radio.
Favorite Memory Control: The headunit's Favorite Control feature allows you to save six "Favorites" for easy access. You can select a "Favorite" playlist from your connected iPod, your favorite radio station from the unit's AM/FM tuner or connected Satellite Radio/HD tuner (both sold separately), or a favorite telephone number from your mobile-phone using the optional Bluetooth hands-free kit (sold separately). This allows you to have instant access your favorite Radio station, telephone number, or iPod playlist from one list on the headunit's display. You can also name each Favorite for even easier access.
AUX Input: The KDC-X693 is equipped with a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack auxiliary input for connecting external portable audio devices such as an MP3 player.
Auxiliary Display: The KDC-X693 allows you to select the source type displayed when using the auxiliary input. You can choose from AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video or TV.
Dual Zone: The Dual Zone mode allows you to output the Main source and the Auxiliary input separately for the front and rear channels. You can select whether the auxiliary input will play in the front or the rear.
3-Sets of 4.0V Preamp Outputs: The KDC-X693 features front, rear and subwoofer 4.0V preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The front, rear and subwoofer preamp outputs are fixed to the rear chassis of the headunit.
Subwoofer Level: You can independently control the subwoofer preamp output level from the CD receiver. You select levels between -15 to +15.
Sound Excellence DSP: In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the Sound Excellence DSP to set the type of vehicle and speaker sizes, locations, distances and x-over points. The DSP settings include the following:
- Cabin Setting: Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Station Wagon, Mini Van , SUV, Mini Van Long, or Off
- Speaker Setting:
- Front Location: Choose either Door, On Dash, or Under Dash
- Front Size: Choose from 6-1/2", 6-3/4", 7", 4"x6", 5"x7", 6"x8", 6"x9", 7"x10", OEM, 4", or 5"
- Tweeter Size: Select either None or Use
- Rear Location: Choose between Door, Rear Deck, 2nd Row or 3rd Row
- Rear Size: Choose from 6-1/2", 6-3/4", 7", 4"x6", 5"x7", 6"x8", 6"x9", 7"x10", OEM, 4", or 5"
- Subwoofer Size: Select from 10", 12", 15", None, 6-1/2" or 8"
- Digital Time Alignment (DTA): Choose from 0.00 to 14.44 feet for the Front pair of speakers, Rear pair of speakers and Subwoofer distances in reference to the distance between your listening positioning and the locations of the particular speakers.
- Front High Pass Filter: Select between 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80,90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250Hz at a slope of -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave; you can also select full-range
- Rear High Pass Filter: Select between 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250Hz at a slope of -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave; you can also select full-range
- Subwoofer Low Pass Filter: Select between 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250 Hz at a slope of -12, -18, or -24 dB per octave; you can also select full-range
- Subwoofer Phase: Choose either Normal or Reverse
Equalizer Control: Equalizer Control allows you to use one of the System Q presets, or set your own custom settings for the front and back speakers independently, using the 5-band Equalizer. The EQ adjustments are as follows:
- Preset EQ: You can select from Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Game, iPod, or User.
- 5-Band EQ: You can adjust the following 5-Band EQ
(62.5Hz, 250Hz, 1kHz, 4kHz, 16kHz)
- Band Levels: Independent front and rear EQ level of -9dB to +9dB.
- Bass Effect: Enhances the bass response of Band 1.
Position Control: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage by selecting the distance for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position. You can select between 0.00 to 5.58 feet for the Left Front Speaker, Right Front Speaker, Left Rear Speaker, Right Rear Speaker, Left Subwoofer and/or Right Subwoofer.
Bass Boost: The Kenwood KDC-X693 features a two level Bass Boost to increase bass levels.
Highway Sound: This features compensates the low volume or bass sound being lost by road noises to make vocals sound clearer. You can set the Highway Sound function to 1, 2, 3, or off.
Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to 0.
Source Tone Memory: This feature allows you to store System Q bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (CD, Tuner, Aux, and USB).
Tel Mute: The KDC-X693 features a cell-phone mute wire (brown) in its harness that when hooked up to your car's phone system mute wire will automatically mute the receiver's audio signal when a call comes in.
FL Display: The KDC-X693 features a full-dot, multi-line FL display with spectrum analyzer and adjustable contrast. The KDC-X693 offers the following display and button illumination settings.
- Type Select: Allows
you to choose between four display types.
- Type A displays 4 to 5 lines of text (you can choose from 3 different layouts)
- Type B displays a line of text and motion display
- Type C display a line of text and the spectrum analyzer (you can choose between two spectrum analyzer patterns)
- Type D display the clock
- Text Select: Select which text information displays on the headunit. You can choose up to 5 lines of text between 7 selections: Station Name, Frequency, Album Artist, Title, Genre, Date, or Blank.
- Text/Title Scroll: The KDC-X693 will display CD text, Audio file text and Satellite and HD radio text. You can turn the scrolling feature "on" to scroll longer titles across the screen.
- Illumination Color: Allows you to set the the display and button illumination color to one of 10 color presets; or customize a red, green, or blue color range. You can also set the right and left side button illumination of the headunit to separate colors.
- Illumination Effect: Sets whether the headunit's button illumination color is changed in conjunction with the button operation.
- Illumination Music Sync: Sets whether the headunit's button illumination color is changed in conjunction with the sound volume.
- Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim this unit's display automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: When the unit is in Standby mode, the face/button illumination is "keyed." In addition, while the unit is in Standby mode, you can turn the clock display on or off. When the Clock Display is turned on and the unit is in Standby mode, the Clock Display is also "keyed." Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Remote Control: The KDC-X693 comes with the RC-547 IR wireless remote control with a full numeric keypad. The remote will control Audio, CD, Tuner, Satellite Radio, and Dual Zone functions. The remote control allows direct access of your music tracks, direct access to discs loaded in a connected CD-changer (sold separately) and direct access to AM/FM radio stations. It is powered by 2 "AA" batteries (supplied).
Attenuator: The CD receiver features an Attenuator button on the supplied remote control that turns the volume down very quickly with one touch of the button.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The KDC-X693 has a "steering remote control" lead on the back panel. When used with the optional SWI-JACK interface (item number 127SWIJACK), you can retain the use of your steering wheel and/or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit in select vehicles. The SWI-JACK is compatible with over 95% of the vehicles made from 1986 to the present. Compatible vehicles include many Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hummer, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volkswagen vehicles and Harley Davidson motorcycles. Please consult "What Fits My Car" to see if your vehicle is compatible.
USB Port: The Kenwood KDC-X693 features a rear-panel 2.0 USB type-A port on a 38" pigtail. The USB port enables connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class device with AAC (8-320 kbps), MP3 (8-320 kbps), and WMA (48-192 kbps) music files. The USB port is compatible with all USB mass storage class devices that support the FAT16 or FAT32 file system. Your USB device should only have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 255 folders, and 255 files per folder with a maximum of 65,025 files and folders. When your USB device is connected to this unit, it can be charged up provided that the KDC-X693 is powered on.
Note: You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
iPod High-Speed Connection: The KDC-X693's rear-panel USB port also acts as an iPod high-speed direct connection when used with the optional Kenwood USB Direct Connection Cable (113iP101, sold separately) or the USB/iPod cable that comes with your iPod. Using either cable allows you to connect, control, and charge the following iPod models with the KDC-X693: iPod nano (1st/2nd/3rd/4th generation), iPod video (5th generation), iPod classic (80/120/160GB), iPod touch (1st/2nd generation), and iPhone/iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS. You should update your iPod with the latest software version from Apple's website before connecting it to the KDC-X693. The USB connection allows your iPod's large music libraries to be loaded instantly to the headunit and sound quality to be maximized through the headunit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to110dB.When your iPod is connected to the KDC-X693, you can choose to operate your iPod via the Kenwood headunit's controls or your iPod's click-wheel/touch-screen.
- Headunit Control Mode: If you select to control your iPod from the KDC-X693, the Kenwood headunit will allow you to navigate your iPod's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, or Podcast (your iPod's click-wheel/touch-screen will be locked in this mode). You can search these categories alphabetically or using a percentage search (0.5%, 1%, 5%, 10%). You can also choose to listen to all songs stored on your iPod at random. The KDC-X693 will also display your iPod's music file information when in this mode.
- iPod Control Mode: If you choose to operate your connected iPod via its click-wheel/touch-screen controls, the KDC-X693 will not display your iPod's music information (the headunit will instead display "iPodMODE") and the Kenwood headunit's controls will no longer operate your iPod.
Note: The iPod video (5th generation) and iPod nano (1st generation) does not allow you to switch to "iPod Control" mode.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional XM or SIRIUS Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SIRIUS Universal Vehicle Tuner (607SCC1) and the optional Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface (113KCASR50); package # 700SIRKENW; or you can connect the optional KCA-SR50 Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface and the SiriusConnect vehicle docking kit (607SCVDOC1); package # 700SIRPKEN, along with your compatible SIRIUS Dock & Play receiver.
- Auxiliary Input: A portable satellite radio receiver,
such as the XM Delphi SkyFi3 or SIRIUS Sportster, can also be connected to
the head unit via the auxiliary input or a Kenwood Auxiliary Input Adapter,
such as the CA-C1AUX or KCA-S220A.
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
HD Radio Ready: With an optional Kenwood HD Radio tuner (item # 113KTCHR20), you will be able to receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. This new technology will significantly improve audio quality and reception, as well as include information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display.
Bluetooth Ready: The unit is also Bluetooth compatible using the optional Kenwood KCA-BT200 Bluetooth adapter. Using this adapter you can make and answer phone calls from the Kenwood headunit. You can even download your Phonebook information from your compatible mobile phone into the headunit. You are able to register up to five compatible Bluetooth cell phones when using the KCA-BT200 adapter. Visit Kenwood.com for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Changer Controls: This unit is directly compatible with Kenwood changers manufactured in 1998 or later. If the changer has an O-N switch, the switch will need to be set to the "N" position. In addition to basic disc navigation features, this unit has the following changer controls: direct disc access (using the remote), direct track access (using the remote), track intro scan, track repeat, disc repeat, disc random, and magazine disc random. When connected to a CD Text capable CD changer, this unit can display disc and track titles for discs encoded with disc and track title information. The text information can be scrolled manually or automatically.
Rear Auxiliary Input "Ready": The unit already features a rear panel auxiliary input, but if you need a second auxiliary input, one can be added to the rear of the unit. When used with an optional adapter, this unit can accept a rear input from an auxiliary source. When the CA-C1AUX adapter (item 113CAC1AX) is used, you cannot connect a CD changer to the head unit because the adapter plugs into the DIN changer control connection on the head unit. When the KCA-S220A 2-changer switch (item 113KCAS220) is used, you can connect a CD changer and an auxiliary audio source at the same time. When an auxiliary audio source is connected, you can choose from one of six names for the source: AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video or TV.
Supplied Software: The KDC-X693 comes supplied with the Kenwood Music Editor Version 2.1.0 CD-ROM. Kenwood Music Editor is a desktop software that helps organize, manage and transfer AAC, MP3, and WMA music files to your USB devices from your PC.
- Operating System:
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional/Home Edition SP2 or later (32-bit version)
- Microsoft Windows Vista (32-bit version)
- Other Programs:
- Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0
- QuickTime 7 or later (when using AAC file)
- Windows Media Player 10/11
- Hard disk with at least 100MB free space
- CD-ROM drive (CD-R/RW drive when writing to CD-R/RW)
- USB interface (2.0/1.1)