About the Kenwood Excelon X301-4
You'll get big power out of this small box
You'll get big power out of this small box
The 4-channel Kenwood Excelon X301-4 amplifier can dish out 50 watts RMS each to four speakers, yet still fit almost anywhere in your vehicle. For applications that require more power, you can bridge the amp to 2-channel mode to drive a pair of speakers or components with 150 watts RMS each. In 3-channel mode, you can use the amp's front channels to drive a pair of speakers with 50 watts each, and bridge the rear channels to send 150 watts to a sub.
High-and low-pass filters let you optimize the sound for your vehicle and speakers. When you're running a subwoofer with the rear channels, you can adjust a bass boost to get just the right thump to fit your musical tastes.
Class D technology ensures that this compact amp will run cool and perform reliably. The X301-4 accepts input signals via RCA cables from an aftermarket receiver or by way of your vehicle's speaker wires, so it will work with almost any mobile audio system. If you use the speaker-level inputs, the amp can sense the signal and turn itself on, so you won't need to run a separate remote turn-on lead to the receiver.
- 4-channel car amplifier
- 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (75 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 150 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable when bridged)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- Class D amp technology
- variable high- and low-pass filters (50-200 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- variable bass boost on B channels (0-18 dB at 40 Hz)
- preamp and speaker-level inputs
- fuse rating: 20A x 2
- 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 6-3/4"W x 2-1/4"H x 7-3/8"D
- warranty: 90 days
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # X301-4
What's in the box:
- Refurbished 4-channel amplifier
- Two 20A ATO fuses (installed)
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- 4 Self-tapping screws (M4 x 16mm)
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty Card
More details on the Kenwood Excelon X301-4
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
50 x 4 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||150 x 4|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||75 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||150 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||20-50k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||85 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost||0-18 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||40 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Parts Warranty||90 Days|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
CEA-2006 Compliant: CEA-2006 is a system of testing and measurement methods for mobile audio amplifiers. This voluntary standard advocates a uniform method for determining an amplifier's RMS power output and signal-to-noise ratio. The criteria for measuring power uses a DC input voltage of 14.4 volts and the RMS power output is measured into a 4-ohm load, with 1% or less Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) plus noise, and over a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz, when applicable. Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4 ohms. CEA-2006 allows consumers to compare car amplifiers and receivers on an equal basis. Using CEA-2006 criteria, the Kenwood X301-4 is rated at 50 Watts RMS x 4 channels with an 80 dBA signal to noise ratio.
Specifications: The manual also lists these non CEA-2006 compliant specifications:
- Power: 75 watts x 4 channel (into 2Ω, at 1 kHz, no more than 1.0% THD, 14.4 volts)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 50kHz (+0, -3dB)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB (at rated power)
Class D Amplifier Design: The amplifier design is Class D, which uses digital switching power supplies. The result is the amplifier runs more efficiently, generating less heat than Class AB amps. The Class D design also allows the amplifier to be built on a small chassis, and installed where space is limited.
Signal Sensing: The amplifier has a signal-sensing turn-on circuit. When a signal is detected on the inputs, the amplifier will automatically power on. When the signal is no longer detected, the amp will shut off. This allows you to install the amplifier without a remote turn-on lead.
Controls: The X301-4 features independent controls for the front channels (1+2) and rear channels (3+4). The following controls can be found on the end of the amp:
- Input Sensitivity: The Input Sensitivity controls let you match the amplifier to the preamp output level of the source unit. The rotary control lets you adjust the sensitivity between 200mV (0.2V) and 5V, with markings at 0.2V, 0.3V, 0.5V, 1V, 2V, 3V, 4V, and 5V. (The input will also accept a speaker-level input signal between 4V and 12V.)
- Selectable Crossovers: The amp has 3-way switches to let you configure the channel pairs to high-pass, low-pass, or full range (crossover off). The rotary controls adjust the crossover frequency between 50Hz and 200Hz, with markings at 50Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 150Hz, and 200Hz.
- Bass Boost: The Bass Boost increases the bass signal, centered at 40Hz. The rotary control lets you adjust the boost between 0dB and18 dB, with markings at 0dB, 1dB, 3dB, 5dB, 8dB, 12dB, and 18dB.
- Line In: The X301-4 has two pairs of RCA inputs for connecting the amp to the source unit via an RCA cable. The amp will accept a low-level signal between 200mV and 5V. It will also accept a speaker level input between 4V and 12V. For a speaker level input, the source unit's speaker wires will need to be spliced onto RCA plugs, or use a third-party speaker-to-RCA adapter.
- Power/Ground/Remote Turn-on: The amplifier has screw-down terminals for the power, ground, and remote turn-on, and will accommodate spade connectors. The power and ground terminals are 0.55" wide, while the remote turn-on terminal is 0.33" wide.
- Speaker Output: Four pairs of screw terminals are provided for connecting the speakers. The terminals are 0.33" wide, and accommodate spade connectors. The amplifier is designed for a 4Ω load, but can can handle a load impedance of 2Ω to 8Ω. The amplifier can be bridged to a 4Ω-8Ω load.
- Fuses: Two 20A ATO fuses are installed in the amplifier. With the 40A fuse rating, an 8-gauge amplifier wiring kit is recommended with a 40A fuse installed within 18" of the battery.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked