About the Kenwood Excelon X802-5
This tiny amp will power your whole system
This tiny amp will power your whole system
Need more power for your entire system, but lack space? Kenwood's Excelon X802-5 five-channel amplifier delivers 50 watts RMS to each of your front and rear speakers, while sending up to 500 watts RMS to a sub, yet it'll still fit almost anywhere in your vehicle. You can also use this amp in 3-channel mode to power a pair of high-performance speakers with 150 watts RMS each, and a sub with 500 watts.
High-and low-pass filters let you optimize the sound for your vehicle and speakers. For the subwoofer channel, a precise low-pass filter lets you optimize the sound for your sub, while the built-in bass boost lets you dial in just the right amount of thump. An optional wired remote control lets you control your sub's level from the front seat.
Class D technology ensures that this compact amp will run cool and perform reliably. Kenwood divided the amp's internal circuitry — analog, digital, and power supply — onto separate, non-overlapping circuit boards for improved overall sound quality. The X802-5 accepts input signals via RCA cables from an aftermarket receiver or by way of your vehicle's speaker wiring, so it'll work with almost any mobile audio system. If you do use the speaker-level inputs, the amp can sense the signal and turn itself on, so you won't need to run a separate remote turn-on lead to the receiver or fuse box.
X802-5 control panel
- 5-channel car amplifier
- 50 watts RMS x 4 + 300 watts x 1 at 4 ohms
- 75 watts RMS x 4 + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- 150 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- CTA-2006 compliant
- Class D amp technology
- separate variable high-pass filters on front and rear channels (50-200 Hz at 12 dB/octave)
- variable low-pass filter on subwoofer channel (50-200 Hz at 24 dB per octave)
- variable bass boost on sub channel (0-18 dB at 40 Hz)
- optional KCA-RC01A wired remote control available for sub channel
- preamp and speaker-level inputs
- wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended
- fuse rating: 30A x 3
- dimensions: 9-13/16"W x 2-1/8"H x 6-3/4"D
- warranty: 90 days
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # X802-5
What's in the box:
- Refurbished 5-Channel amplifier
- Three 30-amp ATC fuses (installed)
- Terminal cover (installed)
- 8" Speaker level input harness
- Four 5/8" Screws
- Instruction manual (English/ French/ Spanish)
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood Excelon X802-5
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
50 x 4 |
300 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||---|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||75 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||150 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||20-50k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||80 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost||0-18 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||40 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Harness|
|Parts Warranty||90 Days|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
CEA-2006 Compliant: CEA-2006 is a system of testing and measurement for mobile audio amplifiers. This voluntary standard advocates a uniform method for measuring an amplifier's RMS power output. The criteria for measuring power uses a DC input voltage of 14.4 volts and the RMS power output is measured over a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz (for full range amplifiers), with 1% or less Total Harmonic Distortion plus noise (THD+N). Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4 ohms. CEA-2006 standards allow consumers to compare car amplifiers and receivers under the same conditions (apples to apples).
- Power Output: 50 watts RMS x 4 + 300 watts RMS x 1 into 4Ω
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 80 dBA (measured at 1 watt into 4Ω)
Other Specifications: (not using the CEA 2006 criteria)
- Power Output:
- 2Ω: 75 watts RMS x 4 (at 1 kHz, 14.4 volts, ≤1.0% THD) + 500 watts RMS x 1 (at 100 Hz, 14.4 volts, ≤1.0% THD)
- Bridged: 150 watts RMS x 2 (into 4Ω, at 1 kHz, 14.4 volts, ≤1.0% THD) + 300 watts RMS x 1 (into 4Ω, 20-200 Hz, 14.4 volts, ≤1.0% THD)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB (at rated power output)
Channel Layout: The 5-channel amplifier is effectively three amps built into one chassis, two 2-channel amps labeled A (left and right) and B (left and right), and a mono amp labeled Sub. Both the A and B channels are bridgeable, so it can be wired as 5-channel, 4-channel, or 3-channel.
Class D Amplifier Design: The amplifier design is Class D, which uses digital switching power supplies. The result is the amplifier runs more efficiently, generating less heat than Class AB amps. The Class D design also allows the amplifier to be built on a small chassis, and installed where space is limited.
Signal Sensing: The amplifier has a signal-sensing turn-on circuit on the speaker level input. When a signal (up to 50 watts) is detected on the speaker level inputs, the amplifier will automatically power on. When the signal is no longer detected, the amp will turn off. This allows you to install the amplifier without a remote turn-on lead if the speaker level input is used.
Controls: The X802-5 features independent controls for the A channels (front), B channels (rear), and Sub channel. Each set of channels has independent controls:
- Input Sensitivity: The Input Sensitivity controls let you match the amplifier input to the preamp output level of the source unit. The rotary controls let you adjust the sensitivity between 200mV (0.2V) and 5V, with markings at 0.2V, 0.3V, 0.5V, 1V, 2V, 3V, 4V, and 5V.
- Crossovers: The A and B amp sections have high-pass crossovers. A two position switch allows bypassing the crossover (Off, HPF). The crossover slope is 12dB per octave and the crossover point is continuously variable from 50Hz to 200Hz. The Sub channel low-pass crossover is always active (cannot be bypassed). The crossover slope is 24dB per octave and the crossover point is also continuously variable from 50Hz to 200Hz.
- Bass Boost (Sub channel only): The Bass Boost increases the bass signal of the Sub channel, centered at 40Hz. The rotary control lets you adjust the boost between 0dB and 18 dB.
- Input Selector: The Input Selector switch lets you set the input for the sub channel. Select Sub if there is a dedicated input for the sub channel, or AB if there is no input for the sub channel (there is an input for the A and B channels). In this case, the sub channel will be fed the signal from the A and B channels.
- Line In: The X802-5 has three pair of line level RCA inputs, A, B, and Sub. The amp will accept a signal between 200mV and 5V.
- Power/Ground/Remote Turn-on: The amplifier has screw terminals for the power, ground, and remote turn-on, and will accommodate spade connectors. The power and ground terminals are 0.55" wide and the remote turn-on terminal is 0.34" wide.
- Speaker Output: Five pair of screw terminals are provided for connecting the speakers. The terminals are 0.34" wide, and accommodate spade connectors. The amplifier is designed for a 4Ω load, but can can handle a 2Ω load.
- Speaker Level Input: When an RCA line level signal is not available, use the included 8" speaker level input harness.
- Fuses: Three 30-amp ATC fuses are installed in the amplifier. With the 90-amp fuse rating, a 4-gauge amplifier wiring kit is recommended with a 90-amp (minimum) fuse installed within 18" of the battery.
- Remote: The RJ-14 connection is for the optional KCA-RC01A wired remote control (item number 113RC01A, sold separately), allowing Sub channel output level adjustment from the front of your vehicle.