About the Kenwood Excelon XR901-5
Super-slim amp powers your whole system
Super-slim amp powers your whole system
Car amplifiers have come a long way. Kenwood's Excelon Reference Series XR901-5 amp can power your entire audio system while taking up an astonishingly small amount of space — it's smaller than a 2" stack of computer paper. But this compact 5-channel workhorse will send 60 watts RMS to each of your front and rear speakers, along with up to 600 watts RMS to your sub. You could also use the XR901-5 in 3-channel mode to drive a pair of high-performance speakers or components with 150 watts RMS each, while still sending 600 watts RMS to a sub.
This Excelon Reference Series amplifier has ultra-high-frequency response, up to 40,000 Hz, reproducing sounds that help define audio tone and space even though beyond the range of hearing. Fix this amp up with a nice set of Kenwood high-res Reference Series speakers, and you can enjoy the extended detail and powerful musical imaging of your high-res FLAC or DSD files.
Designed for optimum efficiency
Kenwood packed this amp with space-saving features. Class D technology reduces the size of the power supply, while the internal heatsink is tilted to reduce height without compromising the amp's cooling system. Recessed power and speaker wire terminals help to further reduce the amp's footprint, protect the connections, and give your installation a neat, professional look.
Controls for the best sound
You can contour the sound with high- and low-pass filters so your full-range speakers play efficiently and sound their best. The front and rear channels feature separate gain and filter controls so you can adjust for different types of speakers.
The subwoofer channel features its own low-pass filter that'll send the correct frequencies to your sub and enclosure, with an adjustable bass boost that adds some low-end punch when you want it. A wired remote lets you control the volume of the sub channel from the front seat.
XR600-6DSP control panel
- 5-channel amplifier
- 60 watts RMS x 4 + 400 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
- 75 watts RMS x 4 + 600 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- 150 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms + 600 watts RMS at 2 ohms
- CTA-2006 compliant
- Class-D amp design — frequency response: 20-40,000 Hz
- variable low- and high-pass filters on front and rear channels (50-200 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- variable low-pass filter on subwoofer channel (50-200 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
- wired remote volume control for sub channel
- cooling fan
- preamp inputs only
- fuse rating: 40A x 3
- wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended
- 10-1/4"W x 2"H x 7-3/16"D
- warranty: 90 days
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XR901-5
What's in the box:
- Refurbished 5-Channel amplifier
- Three 40-amp ATO fuses (installed)
- Remote Commander
- Flat washer
- Hex nut
- 20' Remote cable (RJ-14 modular plugs on each end)
- 4mm Allen wrench
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- 4 Self-tapping screws (length 5/8")
- Instruction manual (English/ French/ Spanish)
- Warranty card
Kenwood Excelon XR901-5 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Kenwood Excelon XR901-5
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
60 x 4 |
400 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||---|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||75 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||150 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||20-40k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||78 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost Frequency||40 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||No|
|Parts Warranty||90 Days|
|Labor Warranty||90 Days|
CTA-2006 Compliant: CTA-2006 is a system of testing and measurement methods for mobile audio amplifiers. This voluntary standard advocates a uniform method for measuring an amplifier's RMS power output and signal-to-noise ratio. The criteria for measuring power uses a DC input voltage of 14.4 volts and the RMS power output is measured into a 4-ohm load, with 1% or less Total Harmonic Distortion plus noise (THD+N), and over a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz, when applicable. Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4 ohms. CTA-2006 allows consumers to compare car amplifiers and receivers on an equal basis. Using CTA-2006 criteria, the Kenwood XR901-5 is rated at 60 watts RMS x 4 plus 400 watts RMS x 1 (subwoofer) with a 78 dBA signal to noise ratio.
Specifications: The manual also lists these non CTA-2006 compliant specifications:
- Full Range: 75 watts x 4 channels (into 2Ω at 1 kHz, with no more than 1% THD, 14.4 volts)
- Subwoofer: 600 watts x 1 channel (into 2Ω at 100 Hz, with no more than 1% THD, 14.4 volts)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB (at rated power)
Class D Amplifier Design: The amplifier design is Class D, which uses digital switching power supplies. The result is much higher efficiency (less heat generated) than Class AB.
High-Resolution Audio Compatible: The XR901-5 is compatible with Hi-Res Audio sources which are capable of reproducing frequencies up to 40kHz. Special capacitors and inductors in the amp's LC filter help to reduce noise and distortion to enhance the sound quality. High resolution audio, with sampling frequencies up to 192khz/24-bit, exceeds CD standards (44.1kHz/16-bit), allowing you to hear much more detail and richness in the music.
5-Channel Design: The XR901-5 is made up of three sections, two full range stereo amps (labeled A and B, typically used to power front and rear speakers) and a subwoofer amp (1-channel). The front and rear amps are independently bridgeable, meaning the XR901-5 can be used as a 5-channel, 4-channel, or 3-channel amp. The minimum impedance for each section is 2Ω, 4Ω when bridged.
Crossovers: The front, rear, and subwoofer amplifier sections have independent crossover controls. The front and rear crossovers can be set to high-pass or turned off (full range). The subwoofer crossover is low-pass only and cannot be bypassed. The crossover point for each is continuously variable from 50 to 200 Hz. The high-pass crossover slope is 12dB per octave and the low-pass crossover slope is 24dB per octave.
Bass Boost: The bass boost circuit for the subwoofer section is centered at 40 Hz; boost is variable from 0 to +18 dB.
Aluminum Heat Sink: The aluminum heat sink increases the amplifier's heat dissipation efficiency, increasing the life of the amplifier.
S/N Ratio: A specialized feedback circuit in the amplifier has reduced the noise level by up to 40%, enhancing the Signal-to-Noise Ratio to 100dB at rated power. The internal circuitry is divided into three sections: analog, digital, and power supply sections. Separating these circuits greatly reduces interference between them, thus, noise is decreased and performance and sound quality are increased.
Wired Remote Control: The XR901-5 includes a wired remote control with a 20-foot cable that allows you to adjust the volume of the subwoofer from the cabin of the vehicle.
- Input Sensitivity: 0.2V-5V; front, rear, and sub independently adjustable
- Crossover: the front, rear, and subwoofer
channels have independent controls for these crossover functions:
- Mode: the front and rear crossovers can be set to high-pass or off (full range); the low pass filter in the sub channel is non-defeatable.
- Frequency: each section is continuously variable; 50-200 Hz
- Bass Boost: 0-18 dB; continuously variable (subwoofer section only)
- Input Selector: 2-way switch: when there is a connection to the SUB input, select "SUB". when there is no connection to the SUB input, select "AB" and the SUB output signal is created from the AB channels' inputs.
Inputs and Outputs:
- Signal Input: three pairs of RCA preamp inputs; front, rear, and subwoofer (labeled A, B, and Sub)
- Power: set screw terminal; accommodates bare wire up to 4-gauge
- Ground: set screw terminal; accommodates bare wire up to 4-gauge
- Remote Turn-on: set screw terminal; accommodates bare wire up to 10-gauge
- Speaker Output: five pairs of set screw terminals (left and right A channels, left and right B channels, and sub); accommodate bare wire up to 10-gauge
- Fuses: three 40 amp ATO fuses
- Remote Control: RJ-14 modular jack for connecting the supplied wired remote control
Note: The Power, Ground, Remote Turn-on, and Speaker Output terminals are hidden under a removable panel. The supplied 2.5mm and 4mm Allen wrenches are needed to remove the panel and tighten/loosen the set screws.
3 questions already asked