About the Sonos Play:1
A world of music you can fit almost anywhere
A world of music you can fit almost anywhere
If you have a wireless home network and a smartphone, then you're ready to start streaming music in any room in your home. All you're missing is Sonos, the easiest way to create a network of wireless music players throughout your home. The compact Play:1 offers easy setup, clear sound, and simple placement or wall mounting in almost any spot you'd like to liven up with some tunes. It's even humidity-resistant, so go ahead — add music to that bathroom or covered porch.
How much music can you access with the PLAY:1? How about pretty much any music available anywhere? Get Pandora® Internet radio, Spotify®, Apple Music™, Rhapsody®, SiriusXM, and thousands of free Internet radio stations. The compact Sonos PLAY:1 lets you enjoy music from the Internet as well as songs stored on your home computers or portable devices — without filling your room with audio gear. It's perfect for small rooms and cozy corners, and setup is as easy as pushing a button. You can even pair two PLAY:1 speakers and configure them for rich stereo sound.
Expand to any (or every) room
Place Sonos players like the Play:1, as well as the larger Play:3 and Play:5, in every room where you want to listen to music. You can set up the players to work on your existing Wi-Fi® network. Or, you can connect any Sonos speaker to your network router, and Sonos will create its own dedicated wireless network for even better performance. You can also use a Boost to create this network if you can't place a speaker near your router.
The Sonos app gives you easy wireless control
You can use your iPhone®, iPod touch®, iPad®, or Android™ smartphone or tablet to control any and all Sonos players. A free download turns your smartphone and tablet into a full-fledged Sonos controller. Easily navigate and search through playlists and tracks stored on your computer, or select an Internet radio station. Create customized playlists on the fly for individual rooms or for playback over your entire Sonos system. You can also mute or adjust the volume of each of your players.
Trueplay speaker tuning for optimal sound
If you use your Sonos control app on an iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch®, great news. You can use your iOS® device to fine-tune the Play:1 with Sonos's Trueplay feature. It uses the mic built into your device to measure how the sound reflects off your walls and furnishings, and then it adjusts the speaker's settings for the best possible sound. Trueplay works with every Play:1, Play:3, and Play:5 speaker in your system. (Currently for iOS devices only.)
Spotify®, Pandora®, SiriusXM, and more at your fingertips
The Sonos system works seamlessly with a host of streaming music services, including Pandora, Spotify, Deezer, Rhapsody®, TIDAL and more. You also have access to thousands of Internet radio stations from around the world through TuneIn Radio, and terrestrial radio stations through iHeartRadio. If you subscribe to SiriusXM Internet Radio, you can tune into all your favorite programming on any Sonos player in your system.
Play music stored on your iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch®
Sonos gives you convenient wireless access to music and podcasts stored in the Music app of your iOS devices, for playback throughout your entire Sonos system. This function works on devices running iOS6 or later (see below for full list of compatible Apple devices). The system even lets you connect a combination of up to 16 PCs, Mac® computers, smartphones, tablets, and digital music storage devices from your home network simultaneously.
Queue up songs from your iPhone to play in the kitchen while you cook, while your spouse streams a podcast in the den from the family computer, and your children use their tablet to enjoy music from their kid-friendly Pandora station — all at the same time.
Using an Alexa voice control assistant with your Sonos system
Sonos has introduced a new speaker that has Alexa voice control built right in — the Sonos One. It lets you select songs from compatible music services using nothing but your voice. You can also control your Alexa-compatible smart home devices with it.
But what if you already have Sonos speakers around your home, like the Play:1? You can get those same cool voice control features by adding an Alexa-compatible voice control assistant and pairing it with your existing Sonos system via the Alexa mobile app. Alexa will "see" all the rooms that you have set up in your Sonos system, and you can control music playback in all of them, simply by talking to your Alexa device.
Which music services work with Alexa?
Here's the list of services you can control with Alexa:
- Apple Music
- Amazon Music
- TuneIn Radio
Subscription required for some services.
- compact, humidity-resistant design
- two built-in amplifiers and two built-in speakers (one midrange driver and one tweeter)
- Sonos control app
- free download from iTunes App Store® and GooglePlay
- compatible with Android™ smartphones, tablets, and Windows® PCs
- bass, treble, balance, and volume controls
- Trueplay automatically adjusts Sonos speakers to your room for optimum performance
- Truplay currently works with iOS® devices only
- plays MP3 and WMA streaming Internet radio stations
- plays MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, Ogg Vorbis, and WAV files
- plays personalized internet radio stations from Pandora®
- plays songs from subscription streaming services such as Spotify, Apple Music, Rhapsody, TIDAL, and more
- plays internet radio stations and podcasts through TuneIn
- works with Amazon Alexa-compatible voice control assistants
- control music selections
- select which Sonos speakers to play
- volume, play, pause, skip and repeat functions
- access to Alexa skills, such as weather reports, smart home commands, and more
- configure two PLAY:1 speakers for stereo playback or use them as rear channels with a PLAYBAR and SUB for 5.1-channel surround sound
- NOTE: PLAY:1 speakers cannot be paired with Sonos One speakers for stereo
- top-mounted controls for volume, play, pause, skip, and mute
- compatible with Windows® (XP Service Pack 3 or higher operating system)
- compatible with Mac® (OS X 10.6 or higher operating system)
- 1/4" threaded mount for wall placement
- Ethernet port for connection to a wireless router (cable included)
- requires AC power (adapter included)
- 4-3/4"W x 6-3/8"H x 4-3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed Internet connection
- MFR # PLAY1US1BLK
Sonos Play:1 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sonos Play:1
Features & specs
|Subwoofer Output||Optional Wireless|
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4 GHz|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||up to 16-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||8-44.1 kHz|
|Bose Home Speaker||No|
|Control by app||iOS,Android,Windows,Mac|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Sonos PLAY:1: The PLAY:1 is part of the Sonos wireless multiroom audio eco-system consisting of a family of wireless network speakers, players, and amplifiers. Start with a single Sonos product and add more Sonos products over time - including speakers, soundbars, players, and amplifiers (all sold separately - see Accessories Tab). With multiple zones, you can play the same or different songs in different rooms of your home. Up to 32 Sonos devices can be connected in one system.
Two Custom-Designed Drivers + Dedicated Amplifiers: The Sonos PLAY:1 uses two state-of the-art digital amplifiers individually coupled with two drivers (1" tweeter/3.5" mid-woofer) to deliver great sound to any room. The wireless music system provides pure, clean sound that is perfect for bringing room filling music to a kitchen, bedroom, office, or just about any room in your home.
Two Ways to Connect Wirelessly: Sonos brings great sounding music wirelessly to any room in your house, without a big wiring project through SonosNet or WiFi.
- SonosNet Wireless Mesh Network: Sonos can utilize its own SonosNet proprietary wireless mesh network technology to provides superior wireless range for whole-house coverage, ensure synchronous music playback, and avoid sources of wireless interference. The transmitting range of the Sonos wireless system is approximately 100', depending upon your home's layout. In addition to the PLAY:1, you will need a Sonos Boost (sold separately) connected to your network router/modem via a Ethernet cable.
- WiFi Wireless Network: Sonos can also operate over your home's existing WiFi network (802.11 b/g; 2.4GHz). Because you are connecting wirelessly to your home's existing WiFi network, you do not need to hardwire a Sonos Boost to your router/modem. The Sonos system's wireless range will be dependent on your home's existing WiFi network. Sonos products manufactured after March 2014 are loaded with the proper firmware and ready to go out of the box for WiFi connectivity. All Sonos products manufactured prior to that date will require a wired connection to facilitate a firmware upgrade and hereafter they will be able to work over WiFi.
- You cannot connect the Sonos system via both the SonosNet proprietary mesh network and WiFi; you will need to choose one. Sonos recommends using its proprietary SonosNet wireless mesh network over WiFi when applicable.
- The Sonos proprietary mesh network will provide a more secure wireless connection with fewer interruptions for optimum performance.
- WiFi is subject to greater interference from other WiFi and 2.4GHz devices on your network. WiFi connectivity is not compatible with 5GHz (you will have to use the Sonos wireless mesh network in this case).
Ethernet Port (10/100 Mbps): In addition to built-in WiFi, the Sonos PLAY:1 is equipped with one Ethernet port (10/100 Mbps). Use it to wire directly to your router to operate Sonos if WiFi is unstable, or use the Ethernet port to provide Internet accessibility to non-wireless devices if you're using a SonosNET Boost setup.
Sonos Controller App: Sonos allows you to control playback functions, search features, and multiroom audio distribution through the Sonos Controller app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) or the Sonos Controller software (for Windows PC (7-up) and Mac OS X 10.10-up) - letting you control the entire Sonos eco-system from your compatible smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer. The new navigation bar (My Sonos, Rooms, Browse, Search and More) at the bottom of the app makes finding what you're looking for effortless and moving between music quicker than ever.
- My Sonos: Organize your music with the My Sonos tab. It's the simplest way to combine and access all the music you love. Bringing together in one simple screen all your favorite songs, playlists, albums, podcasts and radio stations from across your different music services.
- Now Playing: The Now Playing screen features album art and basic playback controls. For a deeper look into the music you're listening to, the "Info View" screen gives you artist bios, album reviews and concert listings. See related artist suggestions to discover a new band for your queue. You can also add to your playlists, delete songs from your library, and share tracks to Twitter or Facebook.
- Rooms: You can choose to play different songs in different rooms, choose to group all rooms together to hear the same music throughout your home, or choose to group only certain rooms together for music playback. You can also crank up the volume for each room individually or together.
- Browse & Search: Browse your music services, favorites, internet radio, personal music library and playlists. You can browse your music content by Album, Artist, Song, or Playlist. You can even search across all of your music services and files simultaneously, so you can find the music you love instantly.
- More: Provides personalized & custom settings for your Sonos system. Adjust and audio settings like bass, treble, balance, and loudness for each room location.
Note: The Sonos device, Apple iOS/Android device, Windows PC, and/or Mac computer must be connected to the same wireless network.
Music Services & Libraries: Sonos gives you access to popular online music services and internet radio stations, and well as music libraries stored on your computer or NAS drive.
- Online Music Services: Sonos works seamlessly with Apple Music, Amazon Music, TIDAL, Pandora, Spotify, SiriusXM, Google Play Music, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Rhapsody, Deezer, SoundCloud, and more; plus downloads from any service offering DRM-free tracks. (Service availability varies by region.) Click here for the latest online music services (some online services require a paid subscription).
- Music Libraries: Sonos supports playback of music from any computer or network-attached storage (NAS) device on your home network where you have shared music folders. Sonos can play music stored on up to 16 PCs, Macs or NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices on your home network, supporting the most popular audio formats. Sonos indexes your music folders so you can view your music collection by categories (such as artists, albums, composers, genres, or tracks). Sonos supports the following audio file formats - MP3 (compressed), WMA (compressed), AAC (MPEG4), Ogg Vorbis, Audible (format 4), Apple Lossless, FLAC (lossless), WAV (uncompressed), and AIFF (uncompressed).
Trueplay Tuning (for Apple iOS): The layout of a room, and where a speaker is placed, can have a significant impact on the sound that you hear. Trueplay, an auto-tune app within the Sonos App, uses the microphone in your Apple iOS device to measure how sound reflects off walls, furnishings and other surfaces in a room, and then fine tunes the Sonos PLAY:1 speaker to make sure it sounds great no matter where you've placed it. The Sonos PLAY:1 speaker already sounds fantastic, but Trueplay brings you even closer to how music should sound. Completing Trueplay tuning for a room takes approximately 3 minutes from start to finish.
- Compatibility: Trueplay is compatible with the Sonos PLAY:1, Play:3, and Play:5. In order to perform Trueplay tuning, the Sonos app for iPhone, iPad or iPod touch running iOS 7 or higher is required. This includes iPhone 4s and higher, iPad 2 and higher, as well as iPod touch 5th generation and higher. Trueplay tuning is not available if the VoiceOver" feature is enabled on your Apple iOS device. Trueplay is currently not compatible with Android.
- 1Ch/1.1ch & 2Ch/2.1Ch Tuning: Trueplay can be used with a single speaker setup, two speakers configured as a stereo pair, or either of these configurations with the Sonos Sub added.
Note: You will need to retune the Sonos speaker using TruePlay, if you move the speaker within the same room or to another room, change the orientation of speaker (horizontal vs. vertical), or change the configuration of the speaker setup (going from a single speaker to a stereo pair for example).
Stereo or Multichannel System Compatible: You can use two PLAY:1's in a stereo pair; one speaker acts as a dedicated left, while the other speaker acts as a dedicated right. The Sonos PLAY:1 wireless speakers can also be used to create a wireless 5.1ch surround sound experience with the Sonos Playbar, Playbase, Beam and Sub 1. Now you don't have to run wires to a powered sub or rear speakers to enjoy true 5.1ch audio.
Optional Voice Control: Through a free network software update you'll be able to control your Sonos system through any Alexa or Google Assistant enabled device (including the Sonos One, Amazon Echo, and Google Home - all sold separately). Specific control functions will vary by digital voice assistant.
- Amazon Alexa: You can ask Alexa to play music on a specific Sonos device in an specific room of your home from these featured music services (Apple Music, Amazon Music, TuneIn, Pandora, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, & Spotify). Using the Alexa app, you can group your Sonos products and your Alexa-enabled devices together. This makes it easier for Alexa to control your Sonos products based on which room or area they are in. You can pause, resume, and skip songs, as well as change the volume with all Sonos compatible online music services.
- Google Assistant: You can ask Google to play music on a specific Sonos device in an specific room of your home from these featured music services (Google Play, Spotify, YouTube Music, Pandora, Deezer, Tidal, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio). You can pause, resume, and skip songs, as well as change the volume with all Sonos compatible online music services.
- You can only configure your Sonos system to work with one digital voice assisant; choose either Alexa or Google Assistant (you cannot use both). You will need to search and enable the Sonos skill from the Alexa or Google Home app on your mobile device or computer. Your Sonos equipment and Amazon Alexa-enabled devices must be on the same wireless network.
- Sonos and Alexa or Google Assistant work together using a single Amazon or Google account. If you have a second Sonos system in another location, you'll need to use a second Amazon or Google account if you'd like to use Alexa. An Amazon or Google account can only be in use on one Sonos system at a time.
- Click here for more information regarding Amazon Alexa on Sonos. Click here for more information regarding Google Assistant on Sonos.
Home Network Requirements: To access Internet music services, Internet radio, and any digital music stored on your computer or Network-Attached Storage (NAS) device, your home network must meet the following requirements:
- High-speed DSL/Cable modem, or fiber-to-the-home broadband connection for proper playback of Internet-based music services. If your Internet service provider only offers Satellite Internet access, you may experience playback issues due to fluctuation in download rates.
- If your modem is not a modem/router combination and you want to take advantage of Sonos' automatic online updates, or stream music from an Internet-based music service, you must install a wireless router in your home network. If you don't have a wireless router, you will need to purchase and install one before setting up your system.
- The Sonos Controller app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) is required for system setup. Initial setup is not possible through the Sonos Controller software (for Windows PC (7-up) and Mac OS X 10.10-up).
- Connect at least one Sonos component to your home network router using an Ethernet cable, and then you can add other Sonos components wirelessly. Or setup your Sonos component wirelessly via WiFi without any hardwire connection.
- For best results, you should connect the computer or NAS drive that contains your personal music library collection to your home network router using an Ethernet cable.
- Make sure all of your Sonos components have the latest software update installed.
Note: Although Sonos is compatible with most networking equipment, some network devices are incompatible. Usually when networking hardware does not work with Sonos, it's because it lacks support for the network protocols that Sonos uses to operate, like UPnP, STP, and SMB/CIFS.
Automatic Updates: The Sonos PLAY:1 supports free automatic software updates so you will always have the newest features and music services to enjoy. Simply register the PLAY:1 and Sonos will automatically notify you when software updates are available through the Sonos Controller app. By simply pressing one button your system updates itself.
Mounting Options: You can place the Sonos PLAY:1 wherever you find the sound most enjoyable. Its compact size makes it easy to place the PLAY:1 on your desk, the kitchen counter, or on your nightstand. You can even wall mount it (optional wall bracket sold separately).
- Rubber Feet: You can position the PLAY:1 in a vertical orientation on your bookshelf, nightstand, or desk. Integrated rubber feet protect your furniture and keep the PLAY:1 secure.
- Wall-Mount (optional): The Sonos PLAY:1 has a 1/4"-20 integrated, threaded mounting hole. If desired, you can easily wall mount the PLAY:1 using a suitable mounting bracket (sold separately). Simply choose a location that's close to an electrical outlet.
Note: The PLAY:1 is designed to withstand high humidity, such as in a bathroom with a running shower. However, the PLAY:1 is not waterproof or water resistant.
AC Power: The Sonos PLAY:1 operates on standard household current using the supplied 6.5' AC power cord.
23 questions already asked