About the Sonos PLAY:5
All the music you want — anywhere in your home
All the music you want — anywhere in your home
Sonos® systems let you tap into music from your personal collection and from the Internet, anywhere in your house. The compact Sonos PLAY:5 makes it easy to get started or add an additional room — it's a self-contained music system with built-in speakers. You'll get top-notch, room-filling sound from a player that easily fits on a counter in the kitchen or an end table in the living room. The PLAY:5 teams up five drivers — two tweeters, two midranges and a subwoofer — with five tailor-matched amplifiers to deliver full-bodied, lifelike sound.
Exceptionally easy multi-room music
Place Sonos music players like the PLAY:5 in every room where you want to listen to music. The players connect to your home network — either via Wi-Fi® or by connecting one player to your router via Ethernet to create a dedicated Sonos network. This network, known for its extensive range and superior performance, gives you house-wide access to tunes stored on your PC along with a wealth of Internet audio choices. (We recommend adding the Sonos BOOST to connect all players to your network wirelessly.)
You probably already own a Sonos controller
You can use an iPhone®, iPod touch®, iPad®, or Android™ phone to control any and all Sonos players. A free download turns your smartphone and tablet into a full-fledged Sonos controller. Easily navigate and search through playlists and tracks stored on your computer, or select an Internet radio station. Create customized playlists on the fly for individual rooms or for playback over your entire Sonos system. You can also mute or adjust the volume of each of your players.
Rhapsody®, Pandora® Internet radio, SiriusXM, and more at your fingertips
The Sonos system works seamlessly with a host of Internet-based digital music services, including Rhapsody, Pandora, Spotify, Napster®, and SiriusXM Internet Radio. Rhapsody offers instant access to millions of songs and ad-free radio stations through your Sonos Controller. SiriusXM Internet Radio gives you access to over 80 channels of programming. Every Sonos system includes free 30-day trials of these two services, so you can start listening the moment you take it out of the box. Pandora creates customized Internet radio streams just for you — all you have to do is enter the name of your favorite song or artist. And because Sonos connects directly to the Internet for all of these music services, you don't even have to turn on your PC.
Play music stored on your iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch®
Sonos now gives you convenient wireless access to music and podcasts stored in the Music app of iOS devices, for playback throughout your entire Sonos system. This function works on devices running iOS6 or later (see below for full list of compatible Apple devices). The system even lets you connect multiple Apple players at once. For instance, you can queue up songs from your iPhone to play in the kitchen while you cook, and your spouse can stream a podcast in the den at the same time.
Expand your Sonos system
You can have up to 32 Sonos music players in your system, and each one can play an independent selection of individual tracks or playlists. Listen to jazz in the den while your spouse plays rock music in the kitchen, or pump a single playlist of songs throughout the entire house during a party.
- five built-in amplifiers and five built-in speakers (two tweeters, two midrange drivers, and one woofer)
- communicates with other Sonos players via Wi-Fi or a dedicated Sonosnet 2.0 wireless network
- control your Sonos system with your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Android device, or computer free download available
- plays MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, and Ogg Vorbis files (firmware is upgradable to support future audio formats)
- compatible with protected WMA files from Napster, Urge, AOL, and many other music download sites
- not compatible with protected AAC files from iTunes
- play music and podcasts stored in the Music app of an iPhone (3GS or later), iPad (iPad 2 or later), and iPod touch (4th generation or later)
- plays MP3 and WMA streaming Internet radio stations
- plays songs from Rhapsody® digital music service subscription required after free 30-day trial
- plays songs from SIRIUS® Internet Radio subscription required after free 30-day trial
- plays personalized Internet radio stations from Pandora®
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (each ZonePlayer plays individually selected music)
- top controls for volume and muting
- bass, treble, balance, and volume controls accessible via remote
- 2-port Ethernet switch
- minijack stereo input for connecting an MP3 player or other audio gear
- compatible with Windows® (XP or higher operating system)
- compatible with Mac® (OS X 10.4 or higher operating system)
- AC adapter included
- 14-3/8"W x 8-9/16"H x 6-13/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed Internet connection
- MFR # Play:5
What's in the box:
- Play:5 wireless music system (white)
- 6' AC power cord
- 5' Ethernet cable (with male RJ-45 connectors on each end)
- 5' Minijack audio cable (with a stereo 3.5mm connector on each end)
- Setup Guide
- Important Product Information booklet
Sonos PLAY:5 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sonos PLAY:5
Features & specs
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4 GHz|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||up to 16-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||8-44.1 kHz|
|Bose Home Speaker||No|
|Control by app||iOS,Android,Windows,Mac|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Two Ways to Connect Wirelessly: The Sonos Play:5 brings great sounding music wirelessly to any room in your house, without a big wiring project through SonosNet or WiFi.
- SonosNet Wireless Mesh Network: SonosNet, a proprietary wireless mesh network technology, provides superior wireless range for whole-house coverage, ensures synchronous music playback, and avoids sources of wireless interference. The transmitting range of the Play:5's built-in wireless system is approximately 100', depending upon your home's layout. In addition to the Play:5, you will need a Sonos Boost (sold separately) connected to your network router/modem via a Ethernet cable.
- WiFi Wireless Network: The Sonos Play:5 can also operate over your home's existing WiFi network (802.11 b/g; 2.4GHz). Because you are connecting wirelessly to your home's existing WiFi network, you do not need to hardwire a Sonos Boost to your router/modem. The Play:5's range will be dependent on your home's existing WiFi network. Play:5 devices manufactured after March 2014 are loaded with the proper firmware and ready to go out of the box for WiFi connectivity. All PLAY:5 devices manufactured prior to that date will require a first wire connection to facilitate a firmware upgrade and hereafter they will be able to work over WiFi.
Note: You cannot connect the Play:5 via both SonoNet and WiFi; you will need to choose one. Sonos recommends using its proprietary SonosNet wireless mesh network over WiFi when applicable. SonosNet will provide a more secure wireless connection with fewer interruptions for optimum performance. WiFi is subject to greater interference from other WiFi and 2.4GHz devices on your network. WiFi connectivity is not compatible with 5GHz and N routers (you will have to use SonosNet in this case).
Multi-Zone Compatibility: You can place a PLAY:5 in each zone where you want to listen to music. The Sonos Digital Music System can accept up to 32 Sonos players. With multiple zones, you can play the same or different songs in different rooms. The PLAY:5 can be combined with other Sonos components; including the Play:5 or PLAY:3 amplified wireless music players, ZP120 amplified zone player, and ZP90 zone player.
Music Streaming Services: The Sonos PLAY:5 gives you access to unlimited music; such as your iTunes library, your favorite music services, and thousands of Internet radio stations, shows, and podcasts.
- Pre-Loaded Internet Radio: The Sonos PLAY:5 includes TuneIn, an Internet Radio Service, that provides immediate access to 100,000 Internet radio stations and broadcast programs. You can easily find radio stations from all over the world broadcasting music, news, and variety programming, including archived shows and podcasts.
- Online Music Services: The Sonos PLAY:5 works seamlessly with 7Digital, Amazon Cloud Player, AUPEO!, DAR.fm, Hearts of Space, iHeartRadio, Murfie, Pandora, Rdio, Rhapsody, SiriusXM Internet Radio, Slacker Radio, Songza, Spotify, Stitcher, & Wolfgang's Vault, plus downloads from any service offering DRM-free tracks (service availability varies by region). Check out the Sonos website for the latest online music services. (Some online services require a paid subscription.)
- Music Library: The PLAY:5 supports playback of music from any computer or network-attached storage (NAS) device on your home network where you have shared music folders. The PLAY:5 can play music stored on up to 16 PCs, Macs or NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices on your home network, supporting the most popular audio formats. The PLAY:5 indexes your music folders so you can view your music collection by categories (such as artists, albums, composers, genres, or tracks). The PLAY:5 supports the following audio file formats - MP3 (compressed), WMA (compressed), AAC (MPEG4), iTunes, Ogg Vorbis, Audible (format 4), Apple Lossless, FLAC (lossless), WAV (uncompressed), and AIFF (uncompressed).
- iTunes Music: The Sonos PLAY:5 supports the playback of music and playlists managed with your iTunes account (playlists are limited to 40,000 tracks). The PLAY:5 can access your iTunes music files from your network computer or directly from your Apple iPod iOS device (4.0+) running the Sonos Controller app.
Sonos Controller: The Sonos PLAY:5 allows you to control its audio setup, playback functions, and search features through the Sonos Controller software for Windows and Mac computers, or from the Sonos Controller app for Apple iOS and Android devices. You'll have access to thousands of pre-loaded nternet radio stations, dozens of online music services, your iTunes music, and your network music library; all from one control app on your computer/laptop or smartphone/tablet.
- Sonos Controller for Windows/Mac: The Sonos Controller software allows you to control the Sonos PLAY:5 from your computer. Simply download the Sonos Controller software from the Sonos website onto your Windows PC or Mac computer. The Sonos Controller software is compatible with Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Macintosh OS X (10.6 or higher) operating systems.
- Sonos Controller for Apple iOS/Android: You can also wirelessly control the Sonos PLAY:5 from your Apple iOS device (4.0+) or Android smartphone/tablet (2.1+) running the Sonos Controller App from the iTunes App Store or Google Play Store.
Note: The Sonos PLAY:5, computer, and Apple iOS/Android device must be connected to the same home network.
Home Network Requirements: To access Internet music services, Internet radio, and any digital music stored on your computer or Network-Attached Storage (NAS) device, your home network must meet the following requirements:
- High-speed DSL/Cable modem, or fiber-to-the-home broadband connection for proper playback of Internet-based music services. If your Internet service provider only offers Satellite Internet access, you may experience playback issues due to fluctuation in download rates.
- If your modem is not a modem/router combination and you want to take advantage of Sonos' automatic online updates, or stream music from an Internet-based music service, you must install a router in your home network. If you don't have a router, you will need to purchase and install one before setting up your system.
- If you are going to use a Sonos controller application on an Android smartphone, iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, or other tablet, you will need a wireless router in your home network.
- Connect at least one Sonos component to your home network router using an Ethernet cable, and then you can add other Sonos components wirelessly. Or setup your Sonos component wirelessly via WiFi without any hardwire connection.
- For best results, you should connect the computer or NAS drive that contains your personal music library collection to your home network router using an Ethernet cable.
Note: The PLAY:5 is compatible with Sonos software versions 4.0 and later. If you are adding the PLAY:5 to an existing Sonos system, be sure to check for software updates before adding the PLAY:5 to your Sonos system.
Automatic Updates: The Sonos PLAY:5 supports free automatic software updates so you will always have the newest features and music services to enjoy. Simply register the PLAY:5 and Sonos will automatically notify you when software updates are available. By simply pressing one button your system updates itself.
Room-Filling Sound: The Sonos PLAY:5 provides crystal-clear, room-filling sound through various advanced sound technologies. The PLAY:5 incorporates an all-digital architecture design for precise sound reproduction. The Sonos PLAY:5 utilizes a five-driver bass-reflex speaker system individually powered by five dedicated digital amplifiers for room-filling sound. The PLAY:5 offers adjustable bass, treble, balance, and loudness controls for optimal sound performance.
5 Speakers/5 Amplifiers: The PLAY:5 uses five state-of the-art digital amplifiers individually coupled with the unit's five speakers to deliver superior sound to any room. The wireless music system provides crystal-clear, high-quality sound that rivals much larger, more complicated systems. The components of the PLAY:5 include:
- 5 Class-D Amplifiers: five state-of-the-art, great sounding amplifiers that are light weight, powerful and very energy efficient in standby and use
- Tweeters: two tweeters create a crisp and accurate high frequency response
- Midrange Drivers: two 3.0" dedicated mid-range drivers ensure the faithful reproduction of mid-range frequencies crucial for accurate playback of vocals and instruments
- Subwoofer: a dedicated 3.5" subwoofer driver provides deep, powerful bass you can feel
Acoustic Port: The acoustic port on the rear of the unit serves two purposes: it is vital to the sound output of the PLAY:5, and it doubles as a convenient handle when moving it from one room to another.
All-Digital Sound Architecture: From the recording studio to your home the music is reproduced as the artist intended. All filter settings, active equalization, and time-alignment are done in the digital domain through state-of-the-art DSP circuitry so there is absolutely no loss of audio quality or energy.
Controls: The PLAY:5 only has a mute button and a volume control, both mounted on the top of the unit. Between the buttons lies a Zone Player LED status indicator, which flashes white when powering up or connecting to the Sonos Digital Music System, and lights solid when powered up and connected to the music system.
Creating a Stereo Pair: For a wider stereo experience, you can combine two Play:5 units in the same room to create a pair of stereo speakers. In this configuration, one unit serves as the left channel and the other serves as the right channel. The Controller software can be used to configure the units in this manner.
Optional Wireless Subwoofer: The optional Sonos Sub is a wireless subwoofer that can be associated with the PLAY:5 to enhance the sound in the room. The set-up procedure for the Sub adjusts the crossover automatically so it seamlessly integrates with the PLAY:5. Through the Sonos Controller software, you can also set the phase and level of the subwoofer to match it to the PLAY:5's output. You must setup your Sonos system via the SonosNet wireless mesh network in order to connect the Sonos Sub (not compatible with WiFi).
Versatile Placement: You can position the Sonos Play:5 wherever you find the sound most enjoyable. Its compact size and inset handle make it easy to place the Play:5 on the kitchen counter, or carry it out to the patio with you.
Dual Ethernet Ports: There are two rear-panel female RJ-45 connectors for plugging in Category 5 Ethernet cables. You can connect a router, computer, or an additional network device, such as a network-attached storage (NAS) device. Specifications: 10/100 Mbps, auto MDI/MDIX.
Analog Input: You can connect an external source, such as a portable music player or a CD player, to the unit's rear-panel 3.5mm mini-jack port. The input jacks automatically detect a device is connected, and the source appears in the system. Music from the external source can be played in any zone. The volume is controlled by the Sonos Digital Music System, however, the playback (pause, music selection, etc.) must be controlled at the source.
Headphone Output: The Play:5 is equipped with a rear-panel 3.5mm headphone output for connecting a set of headphones. The headphone jack is auto-detecting, so when you plug-in a set of headphones, the Play:5's built-in speakers automatically mute.
Power Input: The Sonos Play:5 operates on ordinary household current using the supplied AC power adapter and cord. The Play:5 is capable of accepting 115/120 Volts AC or 230/240 Volts AC.
The Sonos PLAY:5 replaces these items
- play music from your computer and the Internet
- automatic wireless setup
- S5 speaker features built-in tweeters, midrange drivers, and woofer
6 questions already asked