About the TP-Link HS220 Smart Switch
The smart way to dim
The smart way to dim
I have Wi-Fi connected dimming switches on a few of my lights, but I wish I had them on more. It's so cool to be able to dial in exactly the amount of light I want for the task at hand. This smart switch from TP-Link lets you do just that, and you can do it in a few ways. The switch itself has dimming buttons with an LED brightness indicator above them to let you know where you are within the dimming range.
Control it with the Kasa Smart app
In addition to walking you through the install process, the Kasa Smart mobile app allows you to control your lights remotely. You can even create a schedule that powers them on and off at set times every day. And if you have multiple Kasa-controlled devices, they can be grouped together for one-button control.
The app also lets you choose how you use the physical switch. You can set the double tap or long press to trigger different presets. One of the coolest ways to use that is with the "Gentle Off" feature which slowly fades your lights off.
Or use your voice
This switch is also compatible with Microsoft Cortana, Amazon Alexa, and Google Home devices (sold separately), so if you want the light on, all you have to do is ask.
- turn almost any wall-controlled light into smart lighting controllable by touch, mobile app, or voice
- LED indicator on switch lets you know where you are in the dimming range
- schedule, group, and control connected lights from anywhere via the free Kasa Smart app
- use Away Mode to make it seem like you're home
- "Gentle Off" lets you configure your switched lights to slowly fade to off
- group other Kasa-controlled devices together for one-touch control
- no hub required, works with your existing Wi-Fi
- protocol: 802.11 b/g/n
- frequency: 2.4 GHz
- compatible with:
- neutral wire is required for installation
- maximum load: 150 watts LED, 300 watts incandescent
- wall plate is included
- 3-3/8"W x 5"H x 1-13/16"D
- weight: 5.28 oz.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HS220
What's in the box:
- Smart Wi-Fi light switch (HS220) with two attached 6" wires (green / white)
- White faceplate (installed)
- 2 Light switch screws (installed)
- 2 Wire nuts
- Wire labels
- Quick Guide
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the TP-Link HS220 Smart Switch
Overview: The TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch/Dimmer (HS220) lets you control your lights, ceiling fans, and other hardwired fixtures in your home from anywhere. Anything you have connected to a standard light switch can be controlled via Wi-Fi. Using the Kasa app, you can dim or turn the light on or off remotely, set a schedule, create a scene for particular times of the day, and simulate occupancy when you're not at home. The app also lets you keep track how long the light switch has been running, and how much energy you're using.
Installation: The Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch/Dimmer fits into most standard in-wall electrical boxes more than 2 inches deep. It has 2 wires with tinned ends, and comes with 2 wire nuts for DIY installation, or installation by a qualified electrician. It is compatible with incandescent (up to 300 watts) and dimmable LEDs (up to 150 watts). A 3-5/16" x 5-1/16" decorative faceplate is included with the switch.
Wi-Fi: The HS220 is compatible with IEEE 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz (1T1R) Wi-Fi systems. It should be installed within the range of your Wi-Fi router or access point (approximately 150 feet), without physical obstructions or radio interference in the surrounding areas.
Physical Controls: The HS220 is a single-pole light switch and dimmer, and is not compatible with 3-way/multi-way switch wiring. Tapping the switch toggles the lighting on and off. Up and down dimmer buttons let you raise or lower the brightness level to the desired level. A row of LEDs above the buttons serves as a level indicator. The switch itself has two backlit indicators: a white light to indicate when the light is switched off, and to show the switch location in the dark, plus a color-coded Wi-Fi LED to indicate the status of the Wi-Fi signal. Below the switch are the Restart and Reset buttons.
Kasa App: The Kasa app lets you control all TP-Link/Kasa Smart Home products from anywhere on your Apple iOS or Android devices. From the app, you can dim or turn lights on or off remotely. You can set and edit schedules to turn lights on or off, even while you're away, to simulate occupancy. The Kasa app works with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch running iOS 10.0 or later, and is available from the Apple App Store. It is also compatible with Android devices running Android 4.1 and up, and available from Google Play.
Scenes: The Kasa app offers several "Scenes" to help you control multiple TP-Link/Kasa Smart Home devices at once. With the press of a single button on the app, you can turn on multiple Smart Light Bulbs, Smart Switches, and Smart Plugs to set a mood or fit a special occasion. For example, a "Movie Time" scene can turn on your home entertainment system (plugged into a Smart Plug) and dim the lights to 10% brightness in your entertainment room. Scenes can be customized to suit your personal preferences.
TP-Link Compatibilities: The TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch/Dimmer and Kasa app not only work with other TP-Link products within your own system, but cross over to work with other Smart Home products and services:
- Amazon Echo (Alexa): The TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch/Dimmer works with Amazon Echo, Amazon Dot, and Amazon Tap, allowing you to control your devices with your voice. Simply speak voice commands to Alexa and the TP-Link devices will follow your directions.
- Google Home: Google Home gives you voice control over the devices you have wired into the TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch/Dimmer. You can control your lights and other devices with just the power of your voice.
- Microsoft Cortana: The Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Light Switch/Dimmer works with Cortana, Microsoft's Intelligent Personal Digital Assistant. You can use your voice to dim and turn on and off connected lights, as well as control other connected products.
- IFTTT (If This, Then That): You can include the Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Switch/Dimmer in your IFTTT applets to help your devices work together. You can set up automated functions, such as turning on your lights when you enter your home, or dim your lights when you turn on the TV.