About the Marantz AV8801
Controlling complexity with elegant simplicity
Controlling complexity with elegant simplicity
AirPlay® capability and app-based sytem control
Here's Marantz at its best. From the first look, the Marantz AV8801 preamp/processor radiates capability, competence and clarity of purpose. Its mission? To corral the unruly mix of high-end components, streaming audio, and video sources at your disposal, from Blu-rays to Netflix® to... well, most any form of entertainment you can imagine, even your digital camera's videos. Once tamed by the AV8801's versatile connections and logical controls, your source signals will be pampered, polished and prepared for delivery to your power amplifier, for ultra-lifelike sound in up to an 11.2-channel configuration. It must be experienced to be believed, because the total effect is like being at the center of your personal entertainment universe.
The future is calling
And Marantz is ready, with features like support for 4K upconversion of standard-definition and high-definition sources, so you'll be ready for the coming generation of Ultra High Definition TVs. Streaming services of many stripes have a home in the '8801, from Internet radio to Apple AirPlay®. A four-port Ethernet switch on the back allows you to connect your network-capable components. And advanced home theater processing, including the latest from DTS®, Dolby® and Audyssey®, makes your movies and music sound as full, nuanced and immersive as they did when the artists were first realizing their vision. Plus, each audio channel is equipped with high-resolution 192kHz/32-bit digital-to-analog converters (DACs) for the ultimate in fidelity from your digital sources.
The Marantz AV8801 preamp/processor features discrete circuitry for all 13 channels
Built to dish it out
If you could take a peek inside the AV8801 (and you can, just press the enlarge function on the pictures displayed up top), you'd see more evidence of the exquisite build quality that projects from the solid, streamlined exterior: a massive toroidal transformer, for clean, regulated power. Discrete circuit assemblies for the 13 individual channels. A copper-lined chassis, to eliminate vibration, electrical noise and RF interference. Top quality components and clever circuit design are surrounded by solid, classic black aluminum panels that add rigidity and stability to the structure.
Marantz AV8801 preamp/processor connections
Around back, you'll find connectors for every audio and video source you can bring to the table. There are a few conveniently located up front, too. The '8801 features professional-quality XLR connectors for use with compatible amplifiers like Marantz's power amps, in addition to the classic RCA variety. And the preamp/processor supports up to four zones, so you can watch (or listen to) multiple stereo programs in different locations around your house.
- Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Pro Logic® IIz, ES Discrete/Matrix, Neo:X, 96/24
- Audyssey Laboratories' MultEQ XT32 auto setup and room calibration system (microphone included)
- Audyssey DSX processing for enhanced surround sound height and width effects using additional front speakers
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume mode to maintain steady listening levels
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ for fuller surround sound at lower volumes
- Audyssey Sub EQ HT optimizes dual-subwoofer setups for smooth, dynamic response
- 4K pass-through
- This receiver is not HDCP 2.2-compliant and will not support copy-protected 4K video content.
- 4K upscaling of SD and HD sources for compatibility with emerging TV technology
- 3D pass-through for 3D programming on compatible HDTVs
Digital music options:
- optional streaming services include SiriusXM Internet radio, Pandora®, Spotify®, and vTuner Internet radio (broadband connection required, services may vary depending on region, subscription may be required)
- Apple AirPlay® networking built-in for easy streaming of digital music from your iPad® or iPhone®
- free downloadable system control/music playback apps available for Apple® and Android devices
- AirPlay and app control require a wireless home network. Preamp/processor requires wired connection to your router.
- DLNA 1.5-certified to stream music (MP3, WAV, AAC, FLAC, and WMA) and photos from a compatible Windows computer
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- Bluetooth® streaming with optional RX-101 receiver
- analog stereo audio outputs for second and third audio zones
- one HDMI output is dedicated to Zone 4
- component/composite output dedicated to Zone 3
Audio performance features:
- 192kHz/32-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- direct mode and Pure Direct mode switch off unnecessary circuitry to provide cleaner sound
- Marantz M-DAX function helps restore information lost in compressed digital music for richer sound from your digital library
- 11.2-channel balanced XLR preamp outputs
- dedicated 7.1-channel preamp input
- 1080p-compatible HDMI switching (7 in, 3 out)
- 1 HDMI input on front; 2 HDMI outputs are simultaneous signal, 1 output dedicated to Zone 4
- HDMI version 1.4a with support for 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- component video switching (3 in, 2 out)
- iPod® / iPhone® / iPad® compatible USB input on front panel
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 2 coaxial
- 8 audio/video inputs, including:
- 1 front-panel input with composite video
- 3 rear-panel inputs with composite video
- 8 audio-only inputs (1 XLR assignable)
- phono input
- 4-port ethernet switch for easy network integration and program streaming from multiple wired network-capable components
- on-screen display for easy setup and operation available through all monitor outputs
- 100 FM/SIRIUS XM/Internet radio presets
- multibrand, backlit, learning remote
- 17-3/8"W x 7-3/16"H x 16-13/16"D
- weight: 30.16 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AV-8801
What's in the box:
- AV surround preamplifier
- 5.5' AC power cord
- RC019SR Learning remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Audyssey microphone (ACM1H) with attached 24' cord terminated by a male 3.5mm minijack connector
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- CD-ROM User Manual
- Getting Started booklet (En/Fr/Sp)
- USA Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
- Important Safety Instructions
Marantz AV8801 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Marantz AV8801
Preamp/Processor Advantage: Delegating the amplification duties to a separate component allows the Marantz AV8801 AV Surround Preamplifier to keep a healthy distance between noise-inducing high voltage/high current circuits and sensitive low-level circuits. This means that the radio frequency and electromagnetic interferences that are found in most AV receivers simply don't exist in a preamplifier/processor, or are reduced by several orders of magnitude. The result is less distortion and less signal degradation in general.
Note: The Marantz AV8801 AV Surround Preamplifier does not feature a built-in amplifier and requires a separate power amplifier, such as the Marantz MM8077 seven-channel power amplifier (642M8077, sold separately).
Current Feedback Topology: The Marantz AV8801 uses a high-speed current feedback amplifier circuit for its preamplifier so that audio signals from a Blu-ray Disc player and other equipment that support high-definition audio formats can be listened to with high fidelity. Current Feedback technology offers faster signal handling and extended frequency range. Current feedback circuits track rapid sonic changes more accurately and thus sound more natural. Current feedback topology insures astounding accuracy and control even under high-drive conditions.
HDAMs (Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Modules): The AV8801 utilizes Marantz's proprietary HDAM (Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Module) circuits for dynamic music and soundtrack reproduction. HDAMs combine the short signal path advantages of ICs (integrated circuit) and op-amps (operational amplifier) with the superior sound quality of separate circuit components. Because HDAMs are discrete designs, Marantz engineers are free to choose the parts best able to preserve the sonic details of your favorite sources.
Optimized Components: The carefully-optimized audio/video signal paths rest on separate circuit boards for maximum performance as well as isolation from interferences generated by high-speed video processing. The Marantz AV8801 is also equipped with a Hybrid PLL Jitter Reducer that is capable of reducing jitter and phase noise that negatively affect sound quality. The Hybrid PLL Jitter Reducer improves the sound localization, reproducing a natural sound field. In addition, Marantz surround preamplifier employs a high current linear power supply with an torodial power transformer for high-quality sound playback.
32-Bit/192kHz DACs: To handle today's wide-bandwidth and high dynamic range content, the audio section of the AV8801 is equipped with the latest high resolution 32-bit/192kHz DACs on all channels. The 192kHz sampling and 32-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
Audyssey Technology: The AV8801 features a full package of Audyssey audio technologies for optimal sound quality. Audyssey Dynamic Volume offers real-time volume adjustment, while Audyssey DynamicEQ improves your system's surround effects during low volume levels. Audyssey MultEQ XT32 automatically sets speakers and subs to suit your room's listening environment and the speakers' characteristics. The AV8801 also features two Audyssey technologies (Sub EQ HT & LFC) designed to optimize bass performance. The AV preamplifier/processor even offers Audyssey DSX which adds front speaker effects.
- Audyssey MultEQ XT32: Audyssey MultEQ XT32 technology
helps create an optimal acoustic profile for your home theater. Using the
included setup microphone, Audyssey MultEQ XT32 measures sound levels and
adjusts speaker configuration accordingly, making setup fast and easy. This
room acoustic measuring and correction system analyzes (via the included
microphone) the audio characteristics of your speaker system and your
listening environment at up to 8 measurement points and automatically
tailors the sound for top audio fidelity. You can set the Audyssey MultEQ XT
to one of the following modes.
- Audyssey: Optimizes the crossover point, output level, delay time, and equalization of all speakers based on speaker frequency response, speaker location, and room acoustics.
- Audyssey Bypass L/R: Optimizes all speakers except front left and right.
- Audyssey Flat: Optimizes frequency response of all speakers to flat.
- Manual: Adjusts the tonal quality for each speaker individually using the manual equalizer settings (63 Hz, 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1 kHz, 2 kHz, 4 kHz, 8 kHz, and 16 kHz); from -20 to +6 dB .
- Off: Turns equalizer off.
- Audyssey Sub EQ HT: Audyssey Sub EQ HT provides individual tailoring for each subwoofer in a dual subwoofer setup, delivering the optimum combination of highest deep bass output and lowest distortion.
- Audyssey LFC: Audyssey LFC processing analyses and processes bass content on a continuous basis and custom tailors the sound via advanced psychoacoustic algorithms to deliver dynamic bass response within the listening room without annoying family members or neighbors in adjacent rooms.
- Dynamic EQ: Audio engineers mix music and movie soundtracks at reference levels much louder than typical home listening levels. At lower volumes the human ear perceives sound differently; voices change, bass dissipates, and the surround effect becomes less enveloping. Dynamic EQ adjusts the frequency response curve based on volume to maintain consistent bass output, octave-to-octave balance, and surround impact, resulting in rich sound at any volume. You can set the Dynamic EQ to 0, 5, 10, or 15 dB.
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume solves the problem of large variations in volume level between television programs, commercials, and between the soft and loud passages of movies. Dynamic Volume addresses the issue of commercials that are too loud and movie soundtracks with vast differences between soft and loud passages; the results are more intelligible dialogue, loud passages maintain impact, and soft whispers are heard clearly. When the volume level changes, Dynamic EQ also adjusts the frequency response to maintain sound quality. You can set the Dynamic Volume to Day (low), Evening (middle), Midnight (high), or off.
- Audyssey Dynamic Surround Expansion (DSX): Audyssey DSX adds front effect speakers to improve spatial sound reproduction. Starting with a 5.1 channel system, DSX adds front Wide and/or front Height channels for better sound staging (although both wide and height speakers can be added, only one pair is used at a time). DSX also applies Surround Envelopment Processing to enhance the blend between the front and surround channels.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Marantz AV8801 is equipped with a high-resolution SHARC 32-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP). All elements of the Surround Processor are optimized to the highest standards by the use of selected high performance and discrete components, particularly the A/D and D/A converters and the sophisticated DSP surround decoder. The AV8801 is equipped with various surround modes to reproduce a variety of surround sound effects, according to the content of the source to be played. The AV surround preamplifier features Dolby Digital and DTS-HD decoding, as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby, Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6, DTS Neural, DTS Neo:X
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic IIz
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV preamplifier via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the preamp must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music Settings: While listening in
the Dolby Pro Logic II Music format, there are three further enhancements
you can adjust:
- Panorama: Broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect, especially effective when there is limited output from the surround channels, panorama can be turned on/off in the menu.
- Dimension: Allows you to move the sound field forward or backward.
- Center Width: Allows you to adjust the width of the center channel.
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 7 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
- Height Gain: Adjust the volume (Low/Mid/High) of the Front Height channels in Dolby Pro Logic IIz.
- Stage Height/Width: Adjust the sound stage width/height (+/-10dB) when using Front Height or Front Wide speaker in Audyssey DSX.
Direct Modes: The Marantz AV8801 offers two Direct sound modes which offer high-quality sound by bypassing the preamp's DSP & video circuitry.
- Source Direct: In this mode the 2ch audio signal is played in its original form, without any surround or tone processing. Multichannel audio signal is played in its original form, without any tone processing.
- Pure Direct: This mode is for playback in higher sound quality than in Direct mode. The display and analog video circuitry are turned off to minimize the possibility of any noise being added to the signal.
Stereo Modes: The Marantz AV8801 surround preamplifier also provides two-channel stereo and multi-channel stereo playback, as well a virtual surround from two stereo speakers.
- 2CH Stereo: This is the mode for playing in 2-channel stereo; bass and treble can be adjusted and sound is output from the front left and right speakers, along with a connected subwoofer.
- Multi-Channel Stereo: This mode lets you enjoy stereo sound from all speakers.
- Virtual Speaker: Enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones.
Dolby Headphone Mode: You can also enjoy listening to multi-channel surround sound through headphones using these Dolby HP modes - Dolby Headphone, Dolby Pro Logic Headphone, Dolby Headphone Bypass (stereo).
M-DAX: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The M-DAX function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
HT-EQ: The tonal balance of a film soundtrack will be excessively bright and harsh when played back over audio equipment in the home. This is because film soundtracks were designed to be played back in large movie theater environments. Activating the AV surround preamplifier's HT-EQ feature when watching a film made from movie theaters corrects this and restores the correct tonal balance. \
Dialogue Enhancer: This feature adjusts and enhances the frequency band corresponding to the human voice at the center channel speaker to make voices and dialogue clearer. It can be set to Low, Medium, High, or Off.
Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
Tone Control: You can adjust the tonal quality of the sound by adjusting the AV surround preamplifier's bass and treble independently from -6 to +6 dB.
Bass Sync: For multichannel content (such as Blu-ray discs), the recorded low frequency effects (LFE) may be out of synch and delayed. This function corrects (0-16ms) such a delay of low frequency effects (LFE).
Level Adjustments: The AV8801 provides the following level adjustments.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
- Dialogue Level: You can adjust the output level (+/-12dB) to clarify the dialogue output from the center channel.
- Subwoofer Level: You can set the preamp's subwoofer output level (+/-12dB) independent from the other speaker levels and system's main volume.
Volume Settings: The AV8801 offers the following volume settings.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB).
- Volume Limit: You can set a maximum volume level of 0dB (80), -10dB (70), or -20dB (60) to limit the preamplifier's total volume output.
- Turn-On Volume: You can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on (0, 1-98, -79 to +18dB, or Last)
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Marantz AV preamplifier/processor offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Balanced/Unbalanced Preamp Outputs: The Marantz AV8801 is
fitted with both
unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR 11.2ch preamp outputs. The AV8801 features Front
left/right Center, Surround left/right, Surround Back
left/right, Height left/right, Wide left/right, and dual Subwoofer preamp outputs to connect an external
home theater power amplifier. The dedicated
front height & wide preamp outputs and surround back preamp outputs let you
enjoy Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD, and Pro Logic IIz without reconnecting speakers.
- Note: If you are connecting the AV8801 to a "vintage" amplifier via XLR, please make sure the pin-out configuration of the amplifier is the same as the preamplifier (Pin 1-Ground, Pin 2-Hot, Pin 3-Cold).
- XLR Inputs: The AV8801 has a pair assignable XLR left & right inputs for connecting a high-quality audio component.
- Assignable Digital Inputs: There are 2 coaxial digital inputs and 2 optical digital inputs. The inputs accept digital audio signals from a compact disc, DVD, Blu-ray, or other digital source component. Each input can be assigned to any of the different input sources except Tuner.
- 7.1 Channel Input: The AV8801 features a 7.1 Channel input (Front left, Front right, Center, Surround left, Surround right, Surround Back left, Surround Back right and Subwoofer) for connecting a DVD Audio player, Super Audio CD multi-channel player, or other component that has a multi-channel port so you can playback the audio with 5.1 channel or 7.1 channel surround sound. If you will not be using the 7.1 channel input with a multi-channel decoder, you can use the front and left inputs as an auxiliary input.
- Phono Input: The AV8801's phono (MM) input lets you connect to a turntable and offers the amplification that this weaker signal requires. The preamp's phono circuitry prepares the signal from the turntable for amplification, letting you enjoy your vinyl collection at full volume without tonal distortion.
- Headphone Output: The AV surround preamplifier features a 1/4" stereo headphone jack on its front panel for connecting a pair of optional headphones. The unit's speakers will automatically be turned off when a set of headphones are connected.
HDMI v1.4 (7 in/3 out): With seven HDMI ver.1.4 inputs (6 rear/1 front), the AV8801 allows you to route multiple high-definition devices--like game consoles and Blu-ray players--to your TV. It also allows you to connect all of your devices to your TV with a single HDMI cable (via its three 3 HDMI outputs; two parallel and one discrete), reducing cable clutter. The two parallel HDMI outputs distribute the same video signal simultaneously to two separate displays. The discrete HDMI output allows you to play a different audio/video source in another zone. The HDMI inputs are assignable to different input sources. They support HDCP copyright protection and are compatible with 4K, 3D, ARC, Deep Color, xvYCC technology, Auto LipSync, and HDMI control.
Front-Panel HDMI (MHL) Port: The front-panel HDMI port is designed for the connection of select mobile phones and other portable electronic devices using the new MHL standard. Simply plug your MHL compatible smartphone into the preamplifier's front-panel HDMI port using the HDMI cable that is included with your mobile phone. MHL allows you to display full 1080p video and still images on your HDTV with up to 7.1 channels of surround sound. By programming the AV preamp's supplied remote control with the appropriate numeric code, you can use it to operate your connected MHL-enabled smartphone. Your connected smartphone is also recharged upon connection, and no separate power supply for the device is necessary while connected to the receiver. The AV preamplifier is compatible with Android smartphones from Samsung, HTC, and LG (must support MHL standard); as of 12/17/2012.
Analog Video Inputs: The preamplifier/processor features four composite video inputs (3 rear/1 front), one composite video record output, one composite video monitor output, and one Zone 2 composite video output. The composite video monitor output can also be assigned to Zone 3. There are also three component video (60MHz) inputs, one component video monitor output, and one Zone 2 component video output.
Analog-to-HDMI Conversion w/ Video Scaling (4K): The AV8801 is equipped with a flexible video switching system that converts incoming analog video signals to HDMI and scales them to a higher resolution, so only one video connection is required from the AV surround preamplifier to the TV. HDMI input video signals can also be scaled to a higher resolution. The scaled output resolution is set in the AV surround preamplifier's menu.
- Composite Video to HDMI: Composite video signals (480i only) can be scaled to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 4K through the preamp's HDMI output.
- Component Video to HDMI: Component video signals (480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p) can be scaled to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p or 4k through the preamplifier's HDMI output.
- HDMI to HDMI: HDMI video signals (480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p/4K) can be scaled to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 4k through the preamp's HDMI output.
Note: You can also convert a composite video signal to a component video and vice-versa (without scaling). HDMI can only be output via HDMI. The AV surround preamplifier's multi-zone HDMI output does not support analog-to-HDMI conversion.
3D Pass-Through: The AV8801 is able to pass through 3D signals from your Blu-ray player, ensuring that the 3D effect doesn't get lost in translation. It also recognizes signals from 3D television broadcasts. By connecting a 3D-compliant Blu-ray disc player and 3D-compliant TV to the AV8801, you will have a 3D home theater where you can enjoy high-definition sound and video on a level you've never experienced before.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the preamplifier through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When enabling the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function, regardless of whether the AV preamplifier is "On" or in "Standby" both audio/video streams from an HDMI input will be output to your television, via the preamp's HDMI monitor output. You can select between three HDMI through function modes.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input (1-4) for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV preamplifier to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
InstaPrevue Technology: HDMI InstaPrevue Technology provides live video thumbnails of the available content on your devices connected to the preamplifier/processor via HDMI 1 through 6 inputs (the HDMI 7 input does not support InstaPrevue). As a result, you can preview audio/video streams coming from up to 4 HDMI inputs previously assigned to input selectors on your HDMI connected TV, while enjoying viewing another source input.
Auto LipSync: This feature automatically compensates for the timing shift between the audio and video of the AV preamp. If needed, the audio signal can be manually delayed to match the video signal; adjust from 0-200ms.
Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The AV8801 also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
Picture Mode: The Marantz AV8801 offers 6 Picture Modes (Standard/Movie/Vivid/Streaming/Custom/Off) which can be set for each video source. In Custom mode, you can adjust the picture quality for each video source; Contrast (+/-6), Brightness (0-12), Chroma Level (+/-6), Hue (+/-6), DNR (Low/Middle/High/Off), Enhancer (0-12).
Video Select Function: You can switch the video input source on the preamplifier/processor while listening to a different audio signal.
Network Connection: The Marantz AV8801 preamplifier/processor is equipped with four Ethernet (RJ-45) ports so you can use the unit as a hub and connect your other network components to your router through the AV preamplifier. When connected to your home network, the AV8801 lets you listen to Internet radio and a host of other online music sources from your broadband internet provider, as well as play audio files & display still images from your computer via its network connection (DLNA 1.5 certified). The AV8801I also supports AirPlay that lets you stream your music library from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or iTunes.
Note: This unit's RJ-45 Ethernet port supports 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX and requires an Ethernet (LAN) category 5 or higher cable, Router, Modem, and Internet connection.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The AV8801 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7 compliant for audio and photo networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music and still-images (JPEG) stored on your Windows PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through the AV preamplifier and view still-images on your connected TV, or use the AV8801 's remote control to browse music & photo files on your hard drive. The preamp also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed the unit's front-panel display or on-screen menu. In addition the unit will display Album Art on a connected television. The Marantz AV8801 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/20/24-bit||.flac|
|ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz||n/a||.m4a|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
Online Services: The Marantz AV8801 lets you access Internet Radio, as well as other online music and photo services from your broadband Internet connection. Currently the AV8801 supports Internet Radio from vTuner, Pandora, Spotify, and SiriusXM; as well as the Flickr online photo sharing site (as of 1/11/2013). The Marantz AV preamplifier/processor offers on-screen menu display and control over these web services.
|vTuner||The online vTuner service which offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. Internet Radio stations in MP3 (32-320kbps) and WMA (48-192kbps) format are supported. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites. You can store up to 56 Internet Radio stations as presets. The unit will automatically save up to 20 of the most recently played stations.|
|Once the network audio player is registered with your Pandora account, you can listen to the automated music recommendation and Internet Radio service. You can create up to 100 personalized radio stations. You can sort tracks within these radio stations. You can skip up to 6 tracks that are being played back within 1 hour. You can also thumbs-up/thumbs-down and bookmark tracks. In Pandora, you can search for the track name or artist name using "keyword" searches. When the search is complete, tracks that have a similar rhythm or sound are streamed.|
|Spotify||Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists. A Spotify Premium subscription is required.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.|
|Flickr||Flickr is an online photograph sharing service that started in 2004. You can use this unit to view photographs on a connected TV that have been made public by Flickr users. You will need to setup an Flickr account to download, upload, and view photographs.|
Favorites: You can add up to 100 items as "Favorites" from Internet Radio, online music services, and your media server for easier, quicker access.
Built-in HD Radio Tuner: In addition to receiving standard analog AM and FM broadcasts, the AV8801 features a built-in HD Radio tuner. HD Radio technology brings digital radio to conventional analog AM and FM radio stations, with improved sound quality, better reception, and new data services. HD Radio stations offer higher sound quality than conventional FM/AM broadcasts; typically FM HD Radio stations are CD quality while AM HD Radio sound similar to analog FM stereo. AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. Many HD Radio stations also offer more than one channel of programming. This service is called multicasting. You can store up to 56 radio stations presets (8 stations each in 7 separate banks) and name each preset with an 8 character ID. You can even enter the receiving frequency directly to tune in a station, using the supplied IR remote control. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Web Control: You can control this AV preamplifier from a web control screen on your Windows PC's web browser. The AV8801 and your PC must be connected to the same home network.
Software Updates: Using the preamp's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. Visit Marantz's Owner's Circle for access to downloads to keep the Marantz preamplifier up-to-date. The tested Marantz AV8801 contained firmware version 3325-0792-1404 (as of 1/10/2013).
USB Port: A USB memory device can be connected to the USB (type-A) port located on the preamplifier's front- or rear-panel, allowing you to play various music files and JPEG still-image files through the preamplifier/processor. The USB memory device must be mass storage class (msc) or media transfer protocol (mtp) compliant, and be formatted in FAT16 or FAT32. The unit can recognize up to 500 folders and 5,000 files. In addition to music and still-image playback, the AV preamplifier supports basic playback control, song/artist information display, and charging of your connected USB mass storage class device. The Marantz AV8801 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its USB (type-A) connection.
|Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/20/24-bit||.flac|
|ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz||n/a||.m4a|
Note: You cannot use the USB ports on the front- and rear-panel simultaneously. USB memory device will not work via a Hub.
AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad, or from your iTunes library on your PC or Mac to the Marantz AV8801 over your home network connection. By downloading Apple's free "Remote" application onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You will even see the iTunes music information, including your track titles and artist info via the Marantz preamplifier's on-screen menu (via HDMI). To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 4.2 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
iPod/iPhone Direct: With its front-panel USB (type-A) port, the AV8801 supports digital music playback from an iPod or iPhone. Using a USB-to-Dock or Lightning cable plugged into the front-panel USB port, music can be played directly from your iPod/iPhone, bypassing the iPod/iPhone's D/A converter. The iPod/iPhone can be controlled by the preamp's remote, or you can continue to use the iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. Song/artist information, Album Art, and elapsed playing time appear on the AV8801 's on-screen display. Your iPod/iPhone's battery will also be charged while connected to the preamplifier. The AV8801 is "made for iPod/iPhone compatible" and supports the following iPod/iPhone models and functions via its front-panel USB port (as of 9/21/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connection Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front Panel Design: The AV surround preamplifier's front panel features a combination of aluminum extrusion and glass-reinforced resin which shields internal circuitry and absorbs internal and external resonances. The front panel is clean, precise, and inviting. Volume and input selection knobs flank a round volume/source display. A drop- down door hides secondary controls and connectors to maintain that classic look while providing easy access to the extensive features of the AV8801. In addition to the round volume/source display centered on the front panel, there's a second and even more comprehensive source of information behind the panel's drop-down door. This display shows menu choices for custom setup and other data to help you get the most out of your new AV surround preamplifier.
On-Screen GUI w/ Setup Wizard: The AV surround preamplifier incorporates an on-screen color GUI (Graphic User Interface) menu system which makes various operations and menu selections visible on your connected television set. The AV8801 also features an on-screen Setup Wizard that provides easy-to-follow setup instructions. To view the on-screen GUI & setup Wizard, you will need to connect the Monitor Out jack of the AV surround preamplifier to the composite, component video, or HDMI input of your television.
4 Zone/4 Source: Marantz 's Multi-Zone/Multi-Source function lets you select different audio/video sources for listening and viewing in different locations of your home. The AV8801 features a Main Zone (audio/video), Zone 2 (audio/video), Zone 3 (audio/video only), and Zone 4 (HDMI only). The source can be the same for all zones, or you can enjoy 4 different sources in those zones if you prefer.
- Main Zone (9.2ch Audio/Video): The Main Zone offers 9.2ch playback of all your audio/video gear in your main entertainment room.
- Zone 2/Zone 3 (Audio/Video): Zone 2 and Zone 3 allows stereo audio/video playback of an analog AV source connected to the preamplifier in another room of your home via left/right RCA audio terminal output connections and composite or component video (you must assign the preamplifier's composite or component video monitor outputs to Zone 3).To enjoy a video source in Zone 2 or Zone 3, you must connect the same video connection to your second display monitor as connected to your preamplifier for that particular source (there is no video-conversion for Zone 2/3).
- Zone 4 (HDMI Only): The AV8801 incorporates true multi-zone HDMI audio/video distribution for Zone 4 with the inclusion of its HDMI matrix switching functionality. The preamplifier can send two different HDMI video feeds to two displays at the same time directly from the preamplifier. HDMI Zone 4 will also output audio signals (2ch only) for the HDMI input source selected. The HDMI Zone 4 function is only compatible with the HDMI 1-6 input connectors (not compatible with the HDMI 7 input connector). HDMI Zone 4 does not offer the following setting adjustments (Picture Adjust, Auto Lip Sync, Video Mode, Video conversion, i/p Scaler, Progressive Mode, Aspect Ratio, or Setup Menu Display).
Notes: *Compatible Sources - Only tuner, analog, USB, and Network sources can be played in both Zone 2 & Zone 3. To hear AirPlay in Zone 2/3, you must first start playing Airplay in the Main Zone. Once you have selected AirPlay in Zone 2/3, you can then switch the source of the Main Zone. *Incompatible Sources - You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations or different Network content for different zones. Digital audio from optical and coaxial inputs cannot be output to Zone 2/3/4 (Zone 2/3 do not support HDMI sources).
All Zone Stereo Function: The All Zone Stereo function allows you to enjoy the AV preamplifier's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2 & Zone 3, simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types - analog or digital). During the All Zone Stereo, 2ch playback is automatically selected for all zones and each zone will play at the same volume level. This is useful when you want to enjoy the same music at the same time in multiple rooms during a get together or party. The All Zone Stereo function is not supported by the preamp's Zone 4.
Lock Functions: You can lock all the controls on the front panel of the unit, accept for the Power button, to prevent anyone else from changing the settings on your AV surround preamplifier. You can also lock the AV surround preamplifier's settings, so they are not inadvertently changed.
Source Rename/Delete: You can change the display name (up to 8 characters) of a selected input source. If an input isn't being used, you can delete it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Dual Backup Memory Function: This AV surround preamp stores its settings in a nonvolatile memory even when the main power supply is turned off. Using the Dual Backup Memory function, you can write settings information to another memory area to back up saved settings for recovery anytime as needed.
- Personal Memory Plus: This function sets the settings (input mode, surround mode, HDMI output mode, MultEQ, Dynamic EQ, audio delay, etc.) last selected for the individual input sources.
- Last Function Memory: This function stores the settings which were made before going into the standby mode. When the power is turned back on, the settings are restored.
Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments.
Auto Standby: The unit enters standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (30 or 60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
Learning Remote: The provided IR wireless remote control is a universal learning remote control. The remote features a backlit LCD window which displays information about the sources selected from the remote control. The remote control's buttons are also backlit with a press of a button. This remote is preset with remote codes for Marantz AV components. The remote also contains codes for other manufacturers which can be programmed. In addition, the remote control is capable of learning and storing codes used by other remote controls (this remote is capable of learning around 160 codes).
Marantz Remote App: The Marantz Remote App lets you control the Marantz Network AV preamplifier using your Apple iOS (4.3 or later) or Android device. This free Remote App lets you control the Marantz AV preamp's basic functions (power, volume, input, surround modes) from your Apple iOS or Android device. The multi-zone control page of the Remote App lets you adjust power, volume and input selection for all zones from a single screen (when applicable). You can even navigate the AV preamplifier's network and Internet content from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. For added convenience, there are eight customizable home screen short cut buttons that allow you to tailor the look and function of the Marantz Remote App to suit your needs.
Note: Download the free Marantz Remote App from the iTunes App Store for the iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (iOS 4.3 or later). Or, download the free Marantz Remote App from the Android Market for your compatible Android device (1.5-up). The AV preamplifier will need to be connected to the same network as your Apple iOS or Android device.
HDMI Control: When you make an HDMI connection between the Marantz AV surround preamplifier and a HDMI control-function compatible TV or Blu-ray/DVD player, you can perform the following operations.
- The AV surround preamplifier can be turned off with the TV's remote.
- You can switch audio output devices from the TV remote.
- You can adjust the AV surround preamplifier's volume with the TV remote.
- You can switch the AV surround preamplifier's input sources through the TV remote.
- When playing a Blu-ray/DVD player, the AV surround preamplifier automatically switches to the input source of the player.
Remote Connections: The AV surround preamplifier offers a variety of remote inputs and outputs.
- Flasher In: This 3.5mm input is used to control the AV8801 from each of its zones from an external key-pad (sold separately)
- DC Trigger Output: The two DC trigger outputs (3.5mm) allow you to connect two external devices so they can be turned on by the AV8801.
- Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the AV8801 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
- RS-232C: The RS-232C port is to be used in conjunction with an external controller to control the operation of the unit by using an external device. The RS-232C port may also be used in the future to update the operating software of the unit so that it will be able to support new digital audio formats.
Bluetooth Adapter (optional): Through its proprietary M-Xport, the AV8801 offers Bluetooth capability. Simply add the optional RX101 Bluetooth adaptor (642RX101, sold separately) to the AV8801 and you can play the music stored on any Bluetooth-enabled portable device (your iPhone, iPod Touch, or PDA for example) through your home theater system. The optional RX101 doubles as an IR (infrared) preamplifier so you can place all your components out of sight and still maintain full remote control.
3 questions already asked