About the Marantz AV8805A
An ultra-capable home theater centerpiece
An ultra-capable home theater centerpiece
I chose Marantz components for my separates-based home theater and have been thrilled with their performance — I can count on being "wowed" every time I watch a movie, play a video game, or stream a high-res playlist. If you want a similar experience, Marantz's flagship AV8805A can help get you there.
Use the AV8805A as part of a high-performance surround sound system.
I recommend using XLR connections if your amplifier supports them since they cancel out potential noise and help feed your amp the cleanest, strongest signal possible.
Advanced video processing for movies and more
Marantz made sure the AV8805A is compatible with the latest video processing technology. One of its eight HDMI inputs supports 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video content (think Sony's PlayStation® 5).
Immersive, lifelike sound
The AV8805A excels at processing "object-based" surround sound formats like Dolby Atmos or DTS:X™, which place sound effects in space around you with pinpoint accuracy.
With support for up to 13 speakers, you'll hear the movie's score and special effects above, behind, in front of, and beside you — just like you would in an actual theater.
Music in one room or many
This pre/pro also lets you stream tunes from your phone or tablet through Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or Apple AirPlay 2. Or, use the built-in phono input to hook up your turntable. You can even play high-resolution tracks from a USB drive or networked computer.
HEOS Built-in technology lets you access all kinds of different content through the AV8805A. Listen to internet radio stations, or to popular subscription services like Pandora®, Spotify®, and TIDAL.
You can also integrate the AV8805A into a wireless multi-room audio system with compatible speakers or streaming components. Check out my hands-on review of a few HEOS-enabled speakers to learn more about how this platform works.
Advanced room calibration with Audyssey
The AV8805A includes Audyssey MultEQ® XT32 — one of the industry's best room-correction platforms. Audyssey measures the acoustics of your room with the included microphone, and then fine-tunes the output of your system to best match the unique sonic characteristics of your space.
To fully dial-in your system, I recommend you spring for the optional Audyssey MultEQ Editor app (around $20). It lets you direct the speaker calibration process from your phone or tablet, instead of with the handheld remote control.
The app also unlocks additional Audyssey features that I have found well worth the money, like EQ curve adjustment, Midrange Compensation control, and the ability to save multiple calibration profiles.
- home theater preamp/processor with 13.2-channel processing
- supports up to 13 speakers with external power amps
- Marantz's HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules) circuit boards offer exquisite detail and a wide dynamic range
- toroidal power supply ensures low-noise, high-performance picture and sound
- Dolby®, DTS®, and Auro-3D® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping home theater sound
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS Virtual:X® create three-dimensional effects without height speakers
- IMAX® Enhanced reproduces the full dynamic range of specially encoded IMAX soundtracks from compatible sources
- analog-to-HDMI video conversion upscales standard-definition video signals to HD and Ultra HD (up to 8K)
- Audyssey MultEQ XT32 auto setup and room calibration system
Digital and streaming music options:
- built-in Wi-Fi® for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- HEOS Built-in technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music®
- supports multi-room audio with compatible wireless speakers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz)
- three-room/three-source output
- multi-zone playback supports both analog and digital audio connections
- Zone 2 and 3 compatible audio sources: HDMI audio, optical/coaxial digital inputs, analog audio inputs, AM/FM tuner, USB, Bluetooth, and HEOS music apps
- cannot select different USB/Bluetooth/network sources for each zone
- HDMI dual-zone switching for watching video content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
- HDMI 2.1 audio/video switching: 8 in (includes 1 front-panel input), 3 out
- 1 input and 2 outputs support 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video
- all inputs and outputs support 4K/60Hz video
- HDCP 2.3 technology ensures compatibility with Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision™, and HLG
- gaming-optimized video processing technologies for a smooth, lag-free gaming experience
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), and Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduce or eliminate lag and frame tearing
- supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel)
- eARC receives uncompressed surround sound signals including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X via the HDMI connection with your compatible TV
- 13.2-channel balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs for connection to external power amps
- includes two discrete line-level subwoofer outputs
- 7.1-channel preamp inputs
- digital audio inputs: 2 Toslink optical, 2 coaxial
- 6 analog RCA stereo inputs
- 1 stereo balanced XLR input
- MM (moving magnet) phono input for connecting a turntable
- front-panel Type-A USB input for plugging in a thumb drive
Warranty and other info:
- free Marantz AVR Remote app lets you use your Apple® or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi remote
- 17-1/8"W x 7-3/16"H x 16-11/16"D (9-3/4"H with Wi-Fi antennas raised)
- weight: 30.4 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AV8805A/U1B
What's in the box:
- AV Surround Preamplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC039SR)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Sound calibration microphone (ACM1HB)
- 2 WLAN/Bluetooth antennas
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Cardboard microphone stand
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
- Safety Instructions
- Notes on radio
- Sheet of self-adhesive cable labels
- Spotify brochure
- Heos brochure
- Microphone Stand Assembly Instructions
- "Bluetooth/WiFi Certified" note
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Marantz AV8805A
AV Surround Preamplifier: The Marantz AV8805A AV Surround Preamplifier features 13.2 channel processing with 15.2ch balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA outputs, along with flexible preamplifier stages. Delegating the amplification duties to a separate component allows the Marantz AV8805A AV Surround Preamplifier to keep a healthy distance between noise-inducing high voltage/high current circuits and sensitive low-level circuits. This means that the radio frequency and electromagnetic interferences that are found in most AV preamplifiers simply don't exist in a preamplifier/processor, or are reduced by several orders of magnitude. The result is less distortion and less signal degradation in general.
- 15.2Ch Balanced XLR Preouts: If your power amplifier is equipped with balanced XLR inputs, then use the AV8805A's balanced XLR preouts. The AV8805A's 15.2ch balanced XLR preouts consist of Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Height 1 L/R, Height 2 L/R, Height 3 L/R, Height 4/Front Wide L/R, Subwoofer 1, and Subwoofer 2. Balanced connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality. When connecting the AV8805A to a power amplifier via XLR, please make sure the pin-out configuration of the amplifier is the same as the preamplifier (Pin 1-Ground, Pin 2-Hot, Pin 3-Cold).
- 15.2Ch Unbalanced RCA Preouts: If your power amplifier is not equipped with balanced XLR inputs and only offer unbalanced RCA inputs, then use the AV8805A's unbalanced RCA preouts. The AV8805A's 11.2ch unbalanced RCA preouts consist of Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Height 1 L/R, Height 2 L/R, Height 3 L/R, Height 4/Front Wide L/R, Subwoofer 1, and Subwoofer 2.
Note: The Marantz AV8805A AV Surround Preamplifier does not feature a built-in amplifier and requires a separate power amplifier, such as the Marantz MM8077 seven-channel power amplifier (642M8077, sold separately).
13.2 Channel Assignment: The Marantz AV8805A AV Surround Preamplifier supports up to 13.2 channel playback and can be configured in a variety of ways to accommodate your system's setup.
- 13.1ch: This configuration can be used for a Dolby Atmos home theater system with a 7.1.6 or 9.1.4 speaker setup; using either overhead, height and/or Dolby Atmos enabled speakers.
- 11.1ch (Bi-Amp): This configuration can be used for a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos system, while Bi-amping the front speakers.
- 11.1ch (Front B): This configuration can be used for a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos system, while powering a secondary pair of front speakers.
- 9.1ch: This configuration can be used for a Dolby Atmos home theater system with a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 speaker setup; using either overhead, height and/or Dolby Atmos enabled speakers.
- 7.1ch: This configuration serves as either a 7.1-channel surround system setup with Surround Back speakers; or a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2ch. setup with overhead, height , or Dolby Atmos enabled speakers.
- 5.1ch: This configuration serves as a basic 5.1-channel surround system with Front, Center, and Surround speakers, plus dual subs.
Current Feedback Topology: The Marantz AV8805A uses a high-speed current feedback amplifier circuit for its preamplifier so that audio signals from a Blu-ray Disc player and other equipment that support high-definition audio formats can be listened to with high fidelity. Current Feedback technology offers faster signal handling and extended frequency range. Current feedback circuits track rapid sonic changes more accurately and thus sound more natural. Current feedback topology insures astounding accuracy and control even under high-drive conditions.
HDAMs (Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Modules): The AV8805A utilizes Marantz's proprietary HDAM (Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Module) circuits for dynamic movie and music soundtrack reproduction. The AV8805A features the latest Marantz proprietary HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) components, which consist of matched-precision discrete selected circuit elements on a compact sub-board along with ultra-wide-band response (100 kHz, -3 dB) for an open soundstage with refined detail reproduction. HDAMs combine the short signal path advantages of ICs (integrated circuit) and op-amps (operational amplifier) with the superior sound quality of separate circuit components. Because HDAMs are discrete designs, Marantz engineers are free to choose the parts best able to preserve the sonic details of your favorite sources.
Advanced 32-Bit A/ Conversion On All Channels: For optimum fidelity and the widest dynamic range with lowest distortion, the AV8805A features premium grade AK4490 32-bit DACs on all channels. This ensures consistent high fidelity and precise channel matching across all channels for the ultimate listening experience. In addition, the preamplifier utilizes a Hybrid PLL Clock Jitter Reducer to eliminate distortion caused by jitter errors for a more accurate reproduction of the recording the way the artist intended.
Optimized Components: The carefully-optimized audio/video signal paths rest on separate circuit boards for maximum performance as well as isolation from interferences generated by high-speed video processing. In addition, Marantz surround preamplifier employs a high current linear power supply with an EI core power transformer for high-quality sound playback.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The Marantz AV8805A AV Surround Preamplifier supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI (1-8)||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||8ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24
|High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X, DtS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express|
|Optical (1-2) /Coaxial (1-2)||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||6ch, 32-96Hz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
Immersive Surround Sound: The Marantz AV8805A AV preamplifier goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats from Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Front Wide, and AURO-3D. The AV8805A oddwea up to 13.1 channel processing, allowing you to configure a 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4, 9.1.2, or 9.1.4 channel speaker system.
- Dolby Atmos: Dolby Atmos surround sound technology dispenses with channel-based coding in favor of more advanced object-based coding, giving the soundtrack designer the ability to precisely place sounds anywhere in the 3-dimensional space. Now you can enjoy this same award-winning technology at home with the AV8805A that lets you configure a Dolby Atmos speaker system for the ultimate home theater experience.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch or multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch, or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization: Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization provides immersive audio without height-channel or overhead speakers, creating virtual height effects in a 5.1ch, 7.1ch or 2.1ch speaker arrangement. Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization applies carefully designed "height-cue" filters to the overhead audio components of your content's soundtrack before they are mixed into your loudspeakers to create the sensation of sound above you.
- DTS:X: The latest immersive surround sound system, DTS:X features object-based audio coding that lets the soundtrack designer place sonic elements anywhere in the 3D acoustic soundspace, and provides for overhead speakers to deliver a stunning surround sound experience. Along with DTS:X decoding, the AV8805A features DTS-HD Master Audio decoding and other DTS audio technologies.
- DTS Neural:X: DTS Neural:X is an advanced spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. DTS Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
- DTS Virtual:X: DTS Virtual:X bridges the gap between DTS:X and the reality of so many consumers' homes, allowing you to enjoy multi-dimensional sound regardless of room size, layout, or speaker configuration. DTS Virtual:X can be used with any content (from 2ch to 7.1.4ch soundtracks), while delivering virtual height & virtual surround processing based on psychoacoustics (not reflective surfaces).
- DTS:X Pro: DTS:X Pro will be supported via a future over-the-network firmware update (no ETA). Get up to 13.2 channels of audio processing with DTS:X Pro to enjoy a full surround sound in great detail.
- AURO-3D: This preamplifier is equipped with an Auro-3D decoder. With Auro-3D, Front Height, Surround Height and Top Surround are added to a conventional 5.1-channel system to achieve a natural and realistic soundfield that is three-dimensional and fully immersive. You will be able to fully enjoy Auro-3D playback if you properly place the speakers for Auro-3D. Auro-3D does not support a Dolby Atmos configuration using Top Front, Top Middle, Top Rear, or any Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers. But it is possible to support both an Auro-3D and Dolby Atmos by adding Front Height and Rear Height speakers to a 5.1 configuration. For an optimum Auro-3D experience Surround Height speakers are strongly recommended.
- Front Channel Wide: With Front Wide channel support, you can add two front wide speakers with both Dolby and DTS to create a more seamless front surround stage with up to 9.1.2 or 9.1.4 speaker configurations.
IMAX Enhanced Technology: Get the most premium at-home entertainment experience with IMAX Enhanced; the latest technology program from IMAX that sets a new standard for image, sound, scale and content quality. This new certification and licensing program combines IMAX digitally re-mastered 4K HDR content and DTS audio technologies to offer a new level of quality in immersive sight and sound experiences in the home. IMAX Enhanced lets you experience premium content digitally remastered by IMAX, so you can watch the highest-quality 4K movies with immersive audio delivered by DTS. Not only will IMAX Enhanced content look and sound amazing, but other audio/video content will also look and sound great too.
- Remastered 4K/HDR Video: It utilizes a sophisticated, advanced algorithm designed to produce the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images. This advanced process accurately reduces noise and grain under the filmmaker's guidance to best optimize the content for a much higher quality, higher brightness 4K HDR display format. Select IMAX Enhanced titles that were shot with IMAX cameras or specially formatted for IMAX theatres will also include an expanded aspect ratio for the film's home release to show your more picture on your TV. IMAX Enhanced certified TVs must be at least 65" with support for HDR10 and dynamic, as well as specific calibration, resolution, color, brightness, contrast, and scale of image capabilities.
- Remastered DTS:X Audio: IMAX and DTS will also partner with award-winning Hollywood sound mixers to use a special variant of its DTS:X codec technology integrated in home audio equipment to deliver an IMAX signature sound experience that is dynamic, immersive, theatrical, and powerful. IMAX Enhanced supports both 5.1 and 11.1 formats, but the recommended speaker layout for an IMAX Enhanced system is 7.2.4 with seven horizontal speakers, two subwoofers and four height speakers; 5.1.4 is the minimum layout for IMAX Enhanced. However, due to various constraints you may opt to install only a 5.1ch speaker system. In such cases, DTS Virtual:X is required to properly render and remap audio to the available speakers.
- Available IMAX Content: IMAX is working with its global studio and other content partners to build a steady stream of IMAX Enhanced versions of movies and other programming using the newest, proprietary post-production process developed by IMAX. IMAX will be announcing and releasing IMAX Enhanced versions of a wide range of films both for 4K/HDR streaming and Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs.
- To take full advantage of IMAX Enhanced, you need an IMAX Enhanced certified 4K/HDR TV or Projector and an IMAX Enhanced certified DTS:X enabled AV preamplifier or soundbar.
- IMAX and DTS developed the IMAX Enhanced program out of their decades of combined expertise in image and sound science to make it easier for consumers to select the products and content that will deliver the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images and powerful, immersive sound at home.
- To qualify and carry the IMAX Enhanced logo, the highest-end TVs, AV preamplifiers, projectors, and soundbars must meet stringent performance standards established by IMAX, DTS and Hollywood's leading colorists in order to create a consistent and higher bar for image and sound performance on premium devices.
Audyssey Suite with Dual Presets: The AV8805A features the Audyssey suite of powerful DSP features - including MultEQ XT32, Sub EQ HT, LFC (Low Frequency Containment), Dynamic Volume, and Dynamic EQ. The newly adopted Dual Audyssey Preset function allows you to store and instantly switch between two Audyssey configurations. For example, you can store both the Audyssey calibration result straight from the preamplifier and a customized MultEQ curve or frequency range made through the Audyssey MultEQ editor app on the preamplifier simultaneously, allowing you to easily compare differences and select your preference. You can also perform Audyssey measurements for two different speaker settings, including 2.0 for music listening and 5.1.4 for movie surround.
- MultEQ XT32: Via the supplied measuring microphone, Audyssey MultEQ32 measures all the speakers in your home theater during setup, including the subwoofer, and then generates multiple high precision DSP room acoustic correction filters, which together provide smoothest and most natural tonal balance, regardless of the brand or model of the various speakers. Audyssey MultEQ32 incorporates more than ten thousand individual control points allowing finer details of the room's problems to be captured and corrected. Up to eight listening positions can be measured, configured, and recorded. MultEQ XT32 compensates for both time and frequency characteristics of the listening area based on "Audyssey Setup" measurement results. Selection is done from three types of compensation curves - Reference (default and recommended, L/R Bypass, Flat, and Off).
- Sub EQ HT: Audyssey Sub EQ HT provides individual DSP tailoring of each subwoofer in a dual subwoofer setup, for deeper bass with improved definition, compared to a single subwoofer configuration.
- LFC (Low Frequency Containment): Audyssey Low Frequency Containment uses advanced psychoacoustic algorithms to deliver a full range tonal balance, including deep bass, but without disturbing close-by neighbors or family members in other rooms, and features a multi-step adjustment that lets you dial in the amount of containment to your preference.
- Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume features advanced psycho-acoustic processing to deliver clear dialog and wide range sound at reduced volume levels so that you can enjoy theater-level clarity at whatever listening level you choose.
- Dynamic EQ: Audyssey Dynamic EQ also features advanced DSP processing to deliver full range wide-band response, even at reduced volume levels. Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset provides three offsets from the film level reference (5 dB, 10 dB, and 15 dB) that can be selected when the mix level of the content is not within the standard.
Listening Modes: The Marantz AV8805A features a variety of Listening modes to choose from, so you can enjoy your movie or music soundtrack the want you to hear it.
- Auto Detection: In Auto Mode, the Listening Mode switches automatically to the corresponding type of audio input signal (Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS-HD, or multichannel PCM) that is detected. If the input signal is analog or PCM (2-channel), stereo playback is used.
- Direct Modes: The Marantz AV8805A offers two Direct Listening Modes which bypass the preamplifier's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. Source Direct provides playback of 2ch or Multichannel audio in its original form, without any surround or tone processing. Pure Direct goes a step further by turning off the preamplifier's display and analog video circuitry to minimize the possibility of any noise being added to the audio signal.
- Stereo Modes: The Marantz AV8805A surround preamplifier also provides two-channel stereo and multi-channel stereo playback, as well a virtual surround from two stereo speakers. The 2CH Stereo mode is for playing in two channel stereo; bass and treble can be adjusted and sound is output from the front left and right speakers, along with a connected subwoofer. Multi-Channel Stereo mode lets you enjoy stereo sound from all speakers. Virtual Speaker mode lets you enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones.
Audio Enhancements: The Marantz AV8805A preamplifier provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- CINEMA EQ (Cinema Equalizer): The Cinema EQ function gently decreases the level of the extreme high frequencies, compensating for overly-bright sounding motion picture soundtracks. Select this function if the sound from the front speakers is too bright. This function only works in the Dolby Digital & DTS modes.
- M-DAX: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The M-DAX function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
- Center Spread & Dialog Control: Center Spread expands the center channel signal to left and right front speakers to create a wider frontal audio image for the listener, when in Dolby Surround mode. Dialog Control adjusts the volume of dialog in movies and vocals in music so they can be heard more easily, when in DTS:X mode.
- LFE + Main: The LFE + Main setting boots the bass sound by feeding the low-frequency signal to both the loudspeakers and the powered sbuwoofer, regardless of audio format or listening mode.
Volume & Level Settings: The AV8805A offers the following volume & level settings.
- Volume Settings: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB). You can also set a maximum volume level of 0 (80), -10 (70), or -20 (60) dB to limit the preamplifier's total volume output. In addition, you can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on; select "Mute", -79 to +18dB (1-98), or Last. These settings can be set independently for the Main Zone, Zone 2, and Zone 3.
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely). The Mute Level can be set independently for the Main Zone, Zone 2, and Zone 3.
- Channel, Center, & Subwoofer Level: The volume level (-12 to +12dB) of each channel can be changed while listening to audio for each input source. You can also adjust the center channel volume level (-12 to +12dB) independently from the channel level to clarify the dialog for all sources. In addition, you can adjust the subwoofer channel volume level (-12 to +12dB) independently from the channel level to emphasize low frequencies for all input sources.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel): This feature of the AV preamplifier's main HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the preamplifier through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) will support uncomprerssed audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, & DTS HD Master Audio - where as the previous ARC (Audio Return Channel) was limited to only Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS HD, and PCM.
Note: Supported content will be dependent on whether your TV features a HDMI eARC or ARC jack.
7.1 Channel Input: The AV8805A features a 7.1 Channel input (Front left, Front right, Center, Surround left, Surround right, Surround Back left, Surround Back right and Subwoofer) for connecting a DVD Audio player, Super Audio CD multi-channel player, or other component that has a multi-channel port so you can playback the audio with 5.1 channel or 7.1 channel surround sound.
Phono Input: The AV8805A's phono (MM) input lets you connect to a turntable and offers the amplification that this weaker signal requires. The preamp's phono circuitry prepares the signal from the turntable for amplification, letting you enjoy your vinyl collection at full volume without tonal distortion.
Dual Subwoofer Outputs: A single subwoofer demands optimal placement to avoid audible peaks and dips in the low-frequency response at the main listening position. The AV8805A supports two discrete subwoofers; used in different locations, these will even out the low-frequency response for more accurate bass anywhere in the room.
Headphone Output: The AV surround preamplifier features a 1/4" stereo headphone jack on its front panel for connecting a pair of optional headphones. The unit's speakers will automatically be turned off when a set of headphones are connected.
HDMI 2.1: Featuring eight HDMI inputs (7 rear/1 front) and three HDMI outputs, the AV8805A incorporates an advanced video section that features some of the latest HDMI 2.1 specifications; including support for 8K/60Hz and 4K/120 Hz video pass-through, HDCP 2.3 compatibility, BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, and 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling.
- 4K/120 Hz + 8K/60Hz Pass-Through: All of the AV8805A's HDMI inputs and monitor outputs support up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second. One HDMI input (HDMI 7) and two HDMI outputs (Main & Monitor 2) also support 8K (7680 x 4320) video @ 60 frames per second, as well as 4K video @ 120 frames per second. The preamplifier will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI.
- HDCP 2.3 Compliant: All of the AV preamplifier's HDMI inputs and outputs support HDCP 2.3, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K/HDR video transmission.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The HDMI inputs and monitor outputs support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (pixel depth and frame rate will vary). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail. The front-panel HDMI only supports 4K 60/50Hz using format YCbCr 4:2:0 only.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
- Use a premium High Speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance. Use an Ultra High Speed 48Gbps HDMI cable to enjoy 8K video.
- Set the preamplifier's "4K/8K Signal Format" to "8K Enhanced" in the menu to enjoy 8K/60Hz or 4K/120Hz video.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): The Marantz AV8805A supports HDR (high dynamic range) Video - including HDR10, HDR 10+, Hybrid Log-Gamma, Dolby Vision, and now Dynamic HDR. HDR provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- HDR10: HDR10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the preamplifier and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HDR10+: HDR10+ id s a new open standard that leverages dynamic metadata to produce enhanced contrast and colors on an expanded range of televisions. HDR10+ incorporates dynamic metadata that allows the adjustment of brightness levels on a scene-by-scene or even frame-by-frame basis. By applying individualized tone mapping to each scene, HDR10+ delivers an incredible viewing experience. The picture quality offers an enhanced visual experience with more detailed expressions, brighter shadow areas and more accurate color renderings that stay true to the creator's original intent.
- Hybrid-Log Gamma: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata technology which sets individual color and brightness levels for each and every scene. Dolby works directly with filmmakers at major Hollywood studios to create superior HDR video masters of blockbuster movies.
- Dynamic HDR: Dynamic HDR enables a noticeable progression in overall video image quality from SDR to static HDR, and now static HDR to dynamic HDR. Dynamic HDR support ensures every moment of a video is displayed at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast, and wider color gamuts on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-by-frame basis. Dynamic HDR enhanced content is available for movies, videos, TV shows, video and PC games and VR.
4K & 8K Video Upconversion & Upscaling: The Marantz AV preamplifier's sophisticated video processor provides upscaling from standard definition (480i/480p) and high definition (720p/1080i/1080p) sources to 4K or 8K Ultra HD, as well as 4K video sources to 8K picture quality. By supporting video upconversion, you can connect all your analog (composite/component) or digital (HDMI) video sources to the AV8805A and then connect to your TV with just a single HDMI cable. Only the preamplifier's main HDMI output supports video upconversion (the HDMI Monitor 2out and HDMI Zone 2 out do not support video upconversion).
Note: When composite or component video signals are used, only 480i video signals are converted to HDMI (up to 4K or 8K).
Three HDMI Outputs: The two parallel HDMI outputs distribute the same HDMI input signal (up to 8K) simultaneously to two separate displays, while the discrete HDMI output allows you to play a different HDMI audio/video source (up to 4K) in another zone (Zone 2).
Optimized Gaming: Showcased in the AV8805A are new HDMI features like Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Quick Frame Transport (QFT), and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) - which reduce or eliminate lag and frame tearing to offer a smoother, lag-free gaming experience.
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR): Support for Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) allows the TV to adapt to certain Game console's frame rate. This helps to reduce or eliminate lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay.
- Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM): The preamplifier will enter ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) when it detects a gaming signal from a compatible device (such as a Xbox One) and allows for a smooth, lag-free gaming experience. During ALLM, the preamplifier disables the i/p scaler and Auto Lip Sync function.
- Quick Frame Transport (QFT): Quick Frame Transport (QFT) transmits each frame at a higher rate to decrease "display latency", which is the amount of time between a frame being ready for transmission in the GPU and that frame being completely displayed. Enjoy reduced latency for smoother, tear-free entertainment experience.
Other HDMI Features: The Marantz AV8805A AV preamplifier's HDMI connectivity also offers Quick Media Switching (QMS), 3D video pass-through, and auto LipSync function.
- Quick Media Switching: A new HDMI feature called Quick Media Switching (QMS) allows a HDMI video source to instantly switch the resolution or frame rate to eliminate screen blackout.
- 3D Ready: The AV8805A AV preamplifier supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the preamplifier set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the preamplifier automatically adjusts audio output timing, if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When the AV preamplifier is in "Standby" mode and the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled, both audio/video streams from the preamplifiers HDMI input will be output to your television, via the AV preamplifier's HDMI monitor output. Once the preamplifier is turned "On", only video will pass through the monitor output to your TV and the audio is directed to the preamplifier's speaker outputs.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV preamplifier to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
Analog Video: The preamplifier features five composite video inputs (4 Rear / 1 Front) and one composite video monitor output, as well as a Zone 2 composite video output. There are also three component video inputs and one component video output that can be assigned as a monitor output or Zone 2 output. Both the composite and component video jacks only support up to 480i (not compatible with 480p, 720p, or 1080i/p).
Advanced ISFccc Video Calibration: The AV8805A is certified by the Imaging Science Foundation to deliver top video quality, and the unit also features advanced ISFccc video calibration controls that allow for precision fine-tuning of the connected HDTV, even if it's not an ISF certified set. You can choose from a variety of Picture Modes - Standard, Movie, Vivid, Streaming, ISF Day, ISF Night, Custom, or Off. The Custom mode lets you manually adjust Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Noise Reduction, and Enhancer (sharpness).
Video Modes: You can set the video processing method to match the type of video content. Choose from Movie, Game, or Auto.
Video Select Function: This preamplifier can display video from a different source on your connected TV during audio playback from CD (analog input only), Tuner, HEOS, or Phono.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Marantz AV8805A offers a wired or wireless network connection. Either network connection gives the preamplifier access to HEOS music apps (like Pandora, Amazon, or Tidal), TuneIn Internet Radio, Spotify Connect, your music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, as well as music content on your Windows PC or DLNA music server.
- Ethernet Jack: The Marantz AV8805A preamplifier is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to make a wired connection from the preamplifier to your home network.
- Built-in WiFi: The preamplifier also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (7.0+).
Note: Network setup requires that the preamplifier be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The preamplifier's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
TuneIn Internet Radio: The Marantz AV8805A includes access to more than 100,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the built-in TuneIn online music service. Simply select TuneIn from the preamplifier's on-screen menu using the included remote and browse among the 100,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to you.
Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to Spotify and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you can stream Spotify to the Marantz AV preamplifier. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
HEOS Music Apps: With built-in HEOS technology and the HEOS app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you'll be able to stream a wide variety of online music services (fees may apply), plus the music library of your mobile device through the Marantz AV preamplifier.
- Online Music Services: Using the HEOS app, you'll be able to stream your favorite online music services like Amazon Music (including HD), Pandora, TIDAL, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Napster, TuneIn, & Spotify (some services will require a paid subscription, purchases, and/or other fees). The HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device will serve as the controller for these apps and provide song/artist information with Album Art. You can create a "Favorite" station list, so you can quickly access your favorite internet radio stations and online music channels.
- Mobile Device Streaming: Using the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you are able to stream your device's music library to the Marantz AV preamplifier. You'll be able to browse your music library by Artist, Album, Genre, and Song; control music playback functions like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track; and view song/artist info with Album Art from the app on your compatible mobile device. You can even type in an artist name or song title to find music in your mobile device's library.
- Prior to using the HEOS system, you'll need to setup up your free HEOS account. Your HEOS account remembers all your settings and preferences such as all your music service logins and HEOS playlists. When you'd like to add multiple smartphone or tablet controllers to your system, you only need to sign in to each new device with your HEOS user name and password. Instantly all your music services and HEOS playlists are available in the new controller too.
- If you prefer, HEOS supports multiple accounts in a single household. This way, each family member can enjoy their own personalized Pandora, Spotify, or other online music account settings and still share all the same speakers in the home.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The AV8805A is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant for audio and photo networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your Windows PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through the AV preamplifier or use the AV8805A's remote control to browse music & photo files on your hard drive. The preamplifier also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed the unit's front-panel display or on-screen menu. In addition the unit will display Album Art on a connected television. The Marantz AV8805A supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Resolution||Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit-Rate/Bit-Depth||Extension|
|Hi-Res||WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.wav|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.flac|
|ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.m4A|
|Compressed||MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|AAC (MPEG-4)||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
Roon Tested: Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play on the Marantz preamplifier and any other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage devices. It can also integrate your iTunes library, and optionally merge with the Tidal and Qobuz music streaming services. Roon software can be installed on your Windows or Mac computer, while a Roon Remote app is available for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+). When you access the Roon software or remote app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with the available Marantz preamplifier and other Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the Marantz preamplifier or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
- To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the Marantz preamplifier. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or component (like Nucleus or ROCK - sold separately), located on the network within your home.
- Make sure your Marantz product has the latest firmware/software update installed.
AM/FM Tuner: The Marantz AV preamplifier features a built-in AM/FM tuner with 56 station auto-preset memory tuning. You can also set your presets manually. You can create an 8-character name for each preset station. You can even directly enter a station number using the preamplifier's on-screen menu and remote control.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the AV preamplifier and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the AV preamplifier. With AirPlay 2, you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the preamplifier's on-screen menu (via HDMI). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the AV preamplifier.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Marantz AV8805A is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 4.2) for wireless communication between Bluetooth-enabled audio source devices and headphones. The AV8805A can act as a Bluetooth receiver in order to wirelessly stream music from an audio device, or a Bluetooth transmitter in order to wirelessly stream music to a set of BT-enabled headphones. The preamplifier's Bluetooth wireless range is approximately 98.4'.
- Bluetooth Receiver Mode: In BT Receiver mode, you'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop) to the Marantz preamplifier. The preamplifier supports the Bluetooth SBC codec only. You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the preamplifier's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device. There is no song/artist information display on the preamplifier or connected TV; continue to use your Bluetooth device's screen to view song/artist info. Up to eight Bluetooth source devices can be remembered by the AV8805A, so family members as well as friends can enjoy their favorite tracks (only one device can be used at a time). The preamplifier can even be setup to automatically re-connect with previously paired devices, as well as turn on automatically when you start streaming audio from a Bluetooth source device.
- Bluetooth Transmitter Mode: The Marantz AV8805A can also act as a Bluetooth transmitter and stream its non-Bluetooth audio sources (HDMI, Network, USB, Analog, Optical/Coax Digital, & AM/FM tuner) out to most any Bluetooth-enabled headphone set. You can even have the same source playing from the main speakers and a Bluetooth headphone simultaneously (with little noticeable delay). Volume control of your Bluetooth headphones will be controlled via the Bluetooth device and not the preamplifier. Up to eight headphones can be paired with the preamplifier, but only one set of headphones can be connected and used at a time.
- You cannot use the Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver modes simultaneously. The Bluetooth Transmitter mode is not available when the preamplifier's current source input is set to Bluetooth and vice-versa; Bluetooth Receiver mode is not available when the Bluetooth setting "Transmitter" is set to ON.
- Selecting a Bluetooth input source in any Zone will terminate the connection between the Marantz AV preamplifier and Bluetooth headphones.
- You cannot connect Bluetooth headphones when the Marantz preamplifier is grouped within the HEOS app. Remove the preamplifier from the group to enable Bluetooth headphones connection.
Front-Panel USB Port: This AV surround preamplifier is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. Compatible USB storage devices must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32. The unit can recognize up to 500 folders/5,000 files. You can use the preamplifier's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Song/artist information will display on your HDMI-connected TV and the preamplifier's front-panel display. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV preamplifier's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
|Resolution||Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|Hi-Res||WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.wav|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.flac|
|ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.m4A|
|Compressed||MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|AAC (MPEG-4)||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a|
Note: The preamplifier's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android OS devices, USB hubs, and computers.
HDMI Zone 2: The AV8805A also incorporates multi-zone HDMI audio/video distribution for Zone 2 with the inclusion of its HDMI matrix switching functionality. The preamplifier can send two different HDMI audio/video feeds to two displays at the same time directly from the preamplifier. The HDMI Zone 2 supports up to 4K video and 2ch PCM audio from the HDMI input source selected. The HDMI Zone 2 function is only compatible with the HDMI 1-6 input connectors. Volume of HDMI Zone 2 is controlled from the TV or additional preamplifier in Zone 2.
- HDMI Zone 2 is not compatible with the HDMI Input 7 or HDMI Input 8, and does not support the output of analog audio/video signals.
- HDMI Zone 2 does not support 8K video (limited to 4K) and does not offer HDMI upscaling.
- HDMI Zone 2 does not support multichannel audio (limited to 2ch stereo).
- If the preamplifier's Main Zone and HDMI Zone 2 are set to the same HDMI input source, the Main Zone audio will be mixed down to 2-channel audio.
Zone 2 (Audio/Video): Zone 2 allows stereo audio/video playback of another AV source connected to the surround sound preamplifier in another room of your home via stereo preamp output connections, as well as composite or component video. To enjoy a video source in Zone 2, you must connect the same video connection to your second display monitor as connected to your AV surround preamp for that particular source (there is no video-conversion for Zone 2). Zone 2 features stereo preamp outputs, so you can use a separate amp to power speakers in another room. When using the preamp outputs for the second room you'll need an amplifier in that room to power your loudspeakers. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Marantz preamplifier or from your add-on integrated amplifier.
- Compatible Sources:
- HDMI audio (2ch PCM only)
- Optical/Coaxial digital inputs (2ch PCM only)
- Analog audio/video (including Composite, Component, & Phono)
- AM/FM Tuner (cannot select different stations for each zone)
- USB & Bluetooth Audio (cannot select USB & Bluetooth in separate zones)
- HEOS Music Apps (including Pandora, Tidal, Amazon, and more); cannot select different HEOS music apps for each zone
- Network Sources (including TuneIn Internet Radio, Spotify Connect, AirPlay, & DLNA); cannot select two different network sources for Zone 1 and Zone 2
- HDMI video
- DSD audio files
Note: Unfortunately, you cannot select USB, Bluetooth and Network sources exclusively for each Zone. For example, if you select a network source for Zone 2 when a USB source is selected for the Main Zone, the input source in the Main Zone also switches to the same network source as Zone 2.
Zone 3 (Audio Only): Zone 3 allows you to play a different stereo audio source connected to the preamplifier in a third room of your house. When using the preamplifier's Zone 3 preamp output terminals for a 3rd Zone, you need an additional amplifier in that room to power those loudspeakers. The volume of Zone 3 can be controlled by the Marantz preamplifier or from your add-on integrated amplifier.
- Compatible Sources:
- Optical/Coaxial digital inputs (2ch PCM only)
- Analog Audio Inputs (including Phono)
- AM/FM Tuner (cannot select different stations for each zone)
- USB & Bluetooth Audio (cannot select USB & Bluetooth in separate zones)
- HEOS Music Apps (including Pandora, Tidal, Amazon, and more); cannot select different HEOS music apps for each zone
- Network Sources (including TuneIn Internet Radio, Spotify Connect, AirPlay, & DLNA); cannot select two different network sources in multiple zone.
- Incompatible Sources:
- HDMI Audio/Video
- Analog Video
- DSD audio files
Note: Unfortunately, you cannot select USB, Bluetooth and Network sources exclusively for each Zone. For example, if you select a network source for Zone 3 when a USB source is selected for the Main Zone, the input source in the Main Zone also switches to the same network source as Zone 3.
All Zone Functionality: The Marantz AV8805A offers an All Zone TV Audio and All Zone Stereo mode that allows you to listen to the same audio/video soure in the Main Zone, Zone 2, and/or Zone 3.
- All Zone TV Audio: The All Zone TV Audio feature lets you play the same audio source as your TV in the Main Zone in Zone 2 and/or Zone 3 without losing fully discrete surround sound in the Main Zone. Enjoy fully discrete audio such as Dolby Atmos in the main zone for a completely immersive experience, while playing the same source in the second and/or third zone. The AV8805A supports both HDMI and digital optical/coaxial sources for your second or third zone when "All Zone TV Audio" is active.
- All Zone Stereo: The All Zone Stereo function allows you to enjoy the AV preamplifier's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2/Zone 3 simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types - analog, digital [including HDMI ARC/eARC], or wireless). During the All Zone Stereo mode, only the "Multi Ch Stereo" and "Stereo" sound modes can be selected. You will have independent volume control in each zone. All Zone Stereo mode is useful when you want to enjoy the same music at the same time in multiple rooms during a get together or party.
HEOS Wireless Multiroom Audio: Built-in HEOS technology enables the AV8805A to become part of the HEOS wireless multi-room audio eco-system, allowing you to stream and control all of your local and online music effortlessly from anywhere in your home with the HEOS App on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device over a wireless WiFi network connection. The HEOS system is a true multi-room audio system that automatically synchronizes audio playback between multiple HEOS devices so that your music (up to 24-bit/192kHz Hi-Res audio) coming from different rooms is perfectly in sync and always sounds amazing. You can play the same audio source (other than your connected TV) in every room or any combination of rooms you choose, including a different song in every room.
- Systems & Groups: The HEOS wireless multi-room sound system by Denon can support up to 32 HEOS speakers, preamplifiers, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers (all sold separately) on a single wireless network (IEEE 802.11 g/n; 2.4/5GHz). You can join or group up to eight individual Heos devices into a group that function as if they were a single source. The HEOS eco-system is flexible enough where you can create up to 16 Groups (2 Heos devices per Group). You can easily group 16 rooms together with Party Mode by simply using a "pinch" gesture.
- Compatible Sources: The preamplifier's input sources, HEOS music apps, and local network content can be distributed through a HEOS multi-room audio system. However, you cannot distribute an input source (analog, HDMI, optical/coax, USB, Bluetooth, tuner) that is different than the main zone of the AV preamplifier (this is a change from previous HEOS enabled AV preamplifiers).
- Preamplifier's analog inputs & AM/FM Tuner
- HDMI (including eARC) and optical/coax digital inputs; will downmix multi-channel audio sources to 2ch (preamplifier's main zone will retain multi-channel audio decoding)
- TuneIn Internet Radio & Spotify Connect
- HEOS music apps (including Amazon, Pandora,Tidal, and more)
- Windows PC & DLNA music servers
- Bluetooth & USB audio
- Music libraries stored on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device.
- The Marantz AV preamplifier only supports a single HEOS music stream. If you desire a second HEOS music stream through the preamplifier's multizone output, you will need to connect the HEOS Link to one of the AV preamplifier's analog inputs.
- HEOS wireless multiroom audio distribution does not support AirPlay/AirPlay 2.
HDMI Monitor 2: The AV surround preamplifier's HDMI monitor 2 output lets you send the same HDMI audio/video input signal that is being played in the main zone to a second zone (video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs). The HDMI monitor 2 output does not offer HDMI upscaling. The HDMI monitor 2 does not support the output of analog video inputs.
IR Learning Remote w/ LCD: The Marantz 8015 comes with an IR remote for wireless operation of the AV preamplifier and other connected equipment. The remote features a backlit LCD window that displays information about the sources and modes selected. When preset codes are registered in the included remote control unit, it can then be used to operate other equipment (such as your Blu-ray player or TV from another manufacturer. If your equipment does not respond to these preset codes, you can use the remote's Learning function which lets the remote learn command codes from your equipment's remote controls. The 80152's can also be used to control select external audio/video components connected via HDMI which support HDMI control. The preamplifier can even be controlled by your HDMI connected Smart TV.
- HDMI-CEC: When you make an HDMI connection with a TV or Blu-ray player compatible with the 8012's HDMI control function, you can perform the operations from the 8012's remote control; Power off, Switching of audio output devices, Switching of audio input devices, Volume adjustment, and Playback functions.
- Smart TV Control: When you connect the 8012 to your Smart TV, you have the option of controlling the 8012 via the TV's remote control which lets you select an input, adjust the volume and choose the surround sound mode. The preamplifier and your TV must be connected via HDMI with the HDMI-CEC function activated on both components.
HEOS App: You'll need to download the HEOS App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 5.0) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device to enjoy HEOS functionality through the AV8805A preamplifier. Using your compatible mobile device and the HEOS app, you can setup, browse, explore, and control HEOS system right in the palm of your hand, from anywhere in your home. Your compatible Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home wireless (WiFi) network as the AV preamplifier and your entire HEOS system. The HEOS app consists of 4 control screens.
- Settings: The "Settings" screen enables you to connect one or more HEOS speakers, preamplifiers, amplifiers, and/or receivers to your home's wireless network.
- Rooms: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select which rooms you want playing. You can play the same music in multiple rooms by grouping rooms together, or you can listen to a different source in each room.
- Music/Sources: You can select what music and which source you want to listen to from the app. Choose from online music services like Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, Tidal, etc.; your music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, Windows PC/DLNA server, or USB thumbdrive; analog, digital, and HDMI inputs; as well as Bluetooth. You can also select music from Playlists you've created, Favorites you've saved, and your recent listening History.
- Now Playing: The "Now Playing" screen displays song, artist, and album information; along with Album Art. You also get basic playback controls like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track, plus Volume controls Up/Down and Mute. In addition the "Now Playing" screen functions unique to the selected online music service or music library.
Alexa Compatible: HEOS and Amazon Alexa customers can now enjoy the convenience of Alexa voice control plus high-quality wireless home audio. In addition to controlling your HEOS components with the HEOS app on your mobile device or tablet, you can now control them with Amazon Alexa voice technology and an Amazon Alexa device (such as the Echo or Echo Dot, sold separately). Your HEOS components and the Alexa-enabled devices must be on the same network. Voice control features include -
- Alexa voice commands include Volume (up/down, specific volume number, & mute); Playback (Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Previous, Resume); and Power on/off. And thanks to the latest firmware update, you can even use Alexa to switch inputs on HEOS enabled AV preamplifiers and soundbars.
- You can group your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app with an Alexa-friendly name. Once they are grouped, Alexa voice commands will control the group as a whole. If you want to play audio content from only one HEOS-enabled device in the group, you must ungroup the device within the HEOS app.
- You are able use voice commands to search for songs, albums and artists and even podcasts and internet stations from HEOS & Alexa compatible music apps - like Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Spotify Connect, & SiriusXM.
Google Assistant Support: Ask your Google Home, the Google app (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 5.0+), or other devices with Google Assistant built-in to control HEOS content across your listening environment. Once you start music in the HEOS app, you can ask the Google Assistant to control volume, play, pause, skip tracks, and more. Once you have grouped your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app, you can use the Google Assistant and voice commands to control a group of HEOS devices as a whole. Make sure the unit has the latest HEOS software and firmware update installed.
- A future firmware update will allow you to use the Google Assistant and your voice to queue up music services, power on/off devices, switch inputs and more.
- Click here for more info on Google Assistant for HEOS.
Josh.ai Smart Home Voice Automation: An elevated voice agent for the high-end smart home, Josh.ai offers flexible voice control for nearly any aspect of your day-to-day experience and entertainment environment. Use voice commands to control the Marantz AV preamplifier, thermostat, lights, home appliances, powered speakers, and more. Josh.ai is installed by custom integrators and accessed through the Josh - Home Automation app on your Apple iOS 12.1+ or Android OS 4.4+ device.
AVR Remote App: The new Marantz AVR Remote App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.0+) lets you control the Marantz AV preamplifier using your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device. From this free app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device, you'll be able to control the Marantz AV preamplifier's basic functions; such as power, volume, input, surround modes, and other settings. You'll also be able to navigate the AV preamplifier's network and Internet content from the app. In addition, you get you get unique features likes a landscape orientation control screen for tablet devices, the ability to create playlists, and control over a Marantz Blu-ray player.
- Landscape Orientation Control Screen: With a landscape orientation control screen for tablet devices, you can easily browse and navigate through your network music services or personal digital music collection with ease, and at the same time view now-playing information and cover art all on a single screen.
- Create Playlists: The app's playback screen allows you to easily build your own personal music playlists on the fly with the ability to Drag & Drop files into your queue, or tap to "Play Now", "Play Next", "Play Next and Replace Queue" or "Add to End of Queue". You can then save your queue as a playlist for easy recall.
- Marantz Blu-ray Player Control: The app allows control over Marantz Blu-ray players (UD5007/7007 series) that are connected to the AV preamplifier via HDMI.
Note: This AV preamplifier is not compatible with last year's older Marantz Remote App.
Audyssey MultEQ Editor App ($19.99): Download the Audyssey MultEQ Editor App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0+) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android device for further sound customization and detailed tuning to more precisely tailor the sound to your room and personal preferences. This app lets you view the speaker detection results to check correct installation, view before and after results of the Audyssey calibration making it easy to identify room problems, edit the Audyssey target curve for each channel pair to suit your tastes, adjust the EQ frequency adjustment range for each channel pair, switch between two high frequency roll-off target curves, enable/disable midrange compensation to make the vocal region brighter or smoother, as well as save and load calibration results.
Custom Integration: The Marantz 8015 provides advanced remote connectivity and control features often required for custom home integration and theater applications using premium control systems. These features include IP control, a RS232C jack for use with whole house control systems, remote in/out IR command control, and 12V trigger outputs.
- RS-232C Port: The RS-232C port is used for connection to an external whole-house control system, from companies such as AMX, Crestron, etc.
- Remote Jacks: The mono-RCA input and output jacks are to be used with an optional IR repeater system (sold separately).
- 12V Trigger Outputs: The AV8805A has two minijack outputs to send a 12-Volt DC turn-on signal to another component that accepts a 12V trigger, such as a power amplifiers in Zone 2 and Zone 3. The conditions under which the trigger output activates is programmable.
- IP Control: The preamplifier can be set up and operated by a home computer on the network via IP control, either via wired LAN connection or Wi-Fi, and also features Control4 SDDP (Simple Device Detection Protocol) certification for quick and easy integration with Control4 home automation equipment.
Crestron Connect Intelligence: By embedding Crestron Connect intelligence in the Marantz AV8805A, it allows for seamless communication with Crestron home automation solutions, giving installers a simplified home theater solution and homeowners complete control of their home entertainment system.
Remote Monitoring: In today's custom install environment, it's critical for integrators to provide quick, reliable assistance and service to their clients, even after the install is complete. To support this effort, the Marantz AV8805A AV preamplifier features "OvrC" and "Domotz Pro" remote system monitoring and management technology. These programs allow custom integrators to monitor the status of connected products and troubleshoot remotely from the office or on the go, reducing the time it takes to address the issue.
Advanced OSD w/ Setup Assistant (via HDMI):With the on-screen graphical display that combines large clear text and colorful icons, plus the Marantz Setup Assistant, setup is both simple and quick, letting you easily make all necessary adjustments and settings to quickly and easily optimize the AV8805A for your particular speaker configuration and source equipment. The on-screen menu display can only be output to your TV via HDMI.
- The on-screen menu and setup assistant is required for initial setup and is only available through the preamplifier's HDMI output.
- The on-screen menu is only supported by the main HDMI monitor output (not the Monitor 2 output or Zone 2 monitor out).
- The video being played will not appear in the background of the menu when the menu is operated during playback of 4K, 8K, HDR, or 3D video; or if the video aspect ratio is not 16:9 or 4:3.
- Performing operations on this unit during playback of a Dolby Vision signal may cause variance in the color display of the menu screen and operations content.
Smart Select: On the Marantz AV8805A's front-panel and remote, you'll find four Smart Select buttons that let you quickly choose from the most popular input sources (including HEOS Music). With Quick Select, the AV8805A remembers not only your preferred inputs but also your preferred audio settings, so you can enjoy precisely tailored sound with each one.
Input Rename & Delete: The AV preamplifier will automatically rename its HDMI inputs to the connected devices' names using HDMI CEC (the HDMI Control function must be enabled). You can also manually change the display names (up to 16 characters) of analog, HDMI, and optical/coaxial digital input sources. If an input isn't being used, you can delete it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Lock Functions: To prevent accidental operation of the AV preamplifier, you can disable operation of the buttons on the front-panel. You can also disable the preamplifier's IR sensor to prevent accidental operation of the preamplifier from the remote control. You can even disable operation of only Zone 2 from the remote control.
Timers: The Marantz AV preamplifier features a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Standby function. The Sleep Timer function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments. The unit will enters standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (15/30/60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
Smart ECO Mode: This preamplifier is equipped with a Smart ECO Mode function that allows you to enjoy music and movies while reducing the power consumption during use, Smart Eco Mode adjusts the maximum power available according to the volume level selected to reduce power consumption.
Personal Memory Plus: For each input, the preamplifier automatically memorizes the settings for input mode, surround mode, HDMI output mode, audio delay, etc. When the input source is switched, the settings last used for that source are automatically recalled. The surround parameters, tone control settings, and playback levels for the different output channels are memorized for each surround mode.
Protection Circuit: This is a function to prevent damage to components within the power supply when an abnormality such as an overload, excess voltage, or over-heating occurs. In this unit, the power indicator blinks and the unit enters standby mode when an abnormality occurs.
Software Updates: Using the preamplifier's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. You can also set the preamplifier to automatically download the latest firmware and software updates when it is in standby mode. Visit Marantz's Owner's Circle for access to downloads to keep the Marantz preamplifier up-to-date.