About the Marantz BD7004
Dynamic sound that complements the high-def picture
The sleek Marantz BD7004 serves up a gorgeous picture and thrilling surround sound from high-definition Blu-ray discs the best high-definition source around. It faithfully reproduces all the image details in your favorite films, concerts, and TV shows, revealing nuances that you may never have seen before. And this player does a superb job with DVDs, too, courtesy of an advanced upconverting chip from Anchor Bay a company well known for their high-performance processors.
Dynamic sound that complements the high-def picture
Blu-ray delivers immersive surround sound in addition to an outstanding picture, and the BD7004 makes it easy to enjoy it. Just connect the BD7004 to your receiver via HDMI or using the multichannel analog outputs, for thrilling sound from Blu-ray movies with Dolby® TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks two "lossless" formats that faithfully reproduce the studio's original master.
A rigid, interference-fighting chassis
Vibration and interference can limit your gear's performance, so Marantz designed the BD7004 to combat their negative effects. It sports a rigid chassis with a heavy-duty top cover and reinforced aluminum front panel, plus a clean internal layout that isolates critical circuits to minimize noise. This ensures top-flight picture and sound with every disc you play.
Plenty of entertainment options
In addition to playing Blu-ray discs and DVDs, the BD7004 handles regular CDs, home-burned discs, and those filled with MP3 and WMA files. It even plays DivX® video discs and the AVCHD home movies you've made with your high-def camcorder, whether you store them on discs or SD memory cards.
- plays Blu-ray discs, DVDs, CDs, JPEG CDs, and DivX discs
- BD-Live and BonusView support for added bonus features with compatible Blu-ray discs (Profile 2.0)
- front-panel SD memory card slot for storing BD-Live material, and for digital music and photo playback
- HDMI version 1.3a with Deep Color support
- Anchor Bay VRS upscaler for superior DVD video upconversion
- Pure Direct mode for enhanced sound quality
- rigid construction with dual-layered top plate
- aluminum/reinforced resin front panel
- remote control included
- selectable output resolution: 1080p signals available through HDMI output only; 720p/1080i signals available through HDMI or component video
- selectable 720p/1080i/1080p video upconversion for DVD (upconverted video available through HDMI output only)
- 297MHz/12bit video digital-to-analog converter
- 192kHz/24-bit audio digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, and DTS-HD Master Audio
- high-resolution audio can be decoded in the player or in your compatible receiver (HDMI connection required)
- HDMI Source Direct mode for outputting a disc's native video resolution
- video outputs include composite video, component video, and HDMI
- audio outputs include stereo, multichannel, and coaxial digital
- RS-232C port for third party controllers
- IR input and output for remote repeater systems
- Ethernet port for downloading BD-Live bonus material and possible future upgrades
- detachable power cord
- 17-3/8"W x 4-1/16"H x 14-3/16"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # BD7004
What's in the box:
- Single-disc Blu-ray DVD player
- RC004BD wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 62" AC cord
- 39" Composite video cable
- 39" Stereo RCA audio cable
- User Guide (English/Spanish/French)
- US warranty information
- Canada warranty information
Marantz BD7004 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Marantz BD7004
Features & specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||---|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Internet Movie Streaming||No|
|Smartphone App Control||No|
|DVD Video Upconversion||720p, 1080i, 1080p|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Digital Optical Output||None|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
|Analog Audio Outputs||Stereo + 7.1 ch|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Multi-Disc Compatible: The Marantz BD7004 supports the following disc formats: BD-ROM (BD-Video) BD-R (ver.1.1/1.2/1.3), BD-RE (ver.2.1), DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW (finalized discs only), DVD-R DL (finalized disc only), CD, CD-R/RW, DTS-CD, and Kodak Picture CD. This unit will automatically detect what type of disc you have loaded.
Note: This unit uses NTSC, so BD or DVD discs you play back must be recorded in the NTSC system. You cannot play back BD or DVD disc recorded in other color systems.
Blu-ray Disc Compatible: Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a new high-definition disc format designed to take advantage of today's high quality HDTVs. The resolution is up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and the data transfer rate is up to 40 mbps. Blu-ray Discs and players offer several advantages over the standard DVD format:
- Better picture quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 1080/24p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD player). Blu-ray Disc delivers an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
- Better sound quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and uncompressed 5.1 channel PCM.
- Much greater storage capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
- Compatibility with your current disc collections: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc players use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.
Note: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet.
AVCHD Playback: The Marantz BD7004 will play home videos recorded in AVCHD. AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) is a high definition digital video camera format used to record in high definition or standard definition on a DVD-R/RW discs.
DivX File Playback: The BD7004 supports playback of DivX (Ver.3.x, 4.x, 5.x, or 6.0). The unit can play back files recorded in the DivX moving picture compression format on DVD-R/RW or CD-R/RW discs. This unit supports DivX image sizes up to 1920 x 1080 at 30 fps or 1280 x 720 at 60 fps.
JPEG Playback: The Blu-ray play will also playback JPEG still image files written onto CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or BD-RE/-R discs. This unit supports JPEG still image resolutions of 32 x 32 pixels up to 5,120 x 3840 pixels. The maximum file size image is 12 MB. The player can recognize up to 255 folders and 999 files for CD and 999 folders and 9,999 files for DVD and BD. The name of the folder and file can be displayed up to 28 characters. Images can be played as a slide-show and can be rotated 360-degrees in 90-degree increments.
Kodak Picture CD: This unit can also play JPEG files stored on a Kodak Picture CD. You can enjoy picture images on the television set by playing back the picture CD. This unit conforms to vers.7.0 of Kodak Picture CD.
MP3/WMA Playback: The Marantz Blu-ray player will play back MP3 and WMA audio files written onto CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or BD-RE/-R discs. The unit supports MP3 files with a sampling frequency of 44.1 or 48 kHz and a constant bit rate of 112-320 kbps. In addition, the unit supports WMA files with the same sampling frequency and a constant bit rate of 48-192 kbps. The player can recognize up to 255 folders and 999 files for CD and 999 folders and 9,999 files for DVD and BD. The name of the folder and file can be displayed up to 28 characters.
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to set a rating limit, which prevents your children from viewing inappropriate material. Playback will stop if the ratings exceed the levels you set, and it will require your to enter a 4-digit password before the disc will play back. The Parental Control feature consists of an 8-level rating system protected by a custom user 4-digit password.
Auto Power-Off: If the unit is in stop mode for approximately 30 minutes, it will automatically switch to standby mode.
High Quality Construction: The Marantz BD7004's sleek 3.5" contoured front panel combines both aluminum and reinforced resin composite to dampen resonance and blend with virtually any décor. A second metal plate reinforces the player's top cover for increased vibration control.And the centrally located disc mechanism places the critical disc-laser interface in the middle of the chassis to minimize the kind of artifacts that could impact both audio and video quality.
Audio/Video D/A Converters: The BD7004 utilizes advanced 192kHz/24-bit D/A audio converters on all channels to provide 24-bit resolution and dynamic range in excess of 100 dB. In addition, the BD7004 is equipped with a 297MHz/12-bit Analog Devices NSV Technology Video DAC for exceptional video playback.
Full HD Audio/Video Signal Via HDMI: The BD7004 includes a 1080/24p HDMI output to faithfully reproduce video images recorded on a Blu-ray disc. When connected to a 1080/24p display, you can enjoy remarkable video performance of Blu-ray which brings out the full character of film material. The Marantz BD7004 can output video and digital audio signals via HDMI. When connected to a AV surround amplifier with an HD-format decoder, the BD7004 can be used to enjoy high-quality video and audio.
I/P Conversion With Upscaling: The Marantz BD7004 is equipped with an Anchor Bay VRS Technology video scaler. The Blu-ray player features high-grade I/P conversion (component video) and video scaling up to 1080p (HDMI) so you can take a standard DVD video signal and make it look its best on your connected high-definition compatible television.
Picture Adjustment: You can adjust the picture quality of the Blu-ray player's video output connected to your television. You can adjust the following picture settings.
- Contrast: adjusts the difference between the bright and dark parts of the picture from -7 to +7
- Brightness: adjusts the brightness of the picture from 0 to +15
- Sharpness: adjusts the sharpness of the picture from -6 to +6
- Gamma Correction: changes the amount of gamma correction to adjust overall brightness of a picture from 0 to +5
- Color: adjusts the balance between the green and red from -7 to +7
- Black Level: adjust the black level from 0 IRE or 7.5 IRE
- Noise Reduction: reduces the noise of the playback picture in 3 steps
TV Aspect: This function of the Blu-ray player lets you set a picture size according to the aspect ratio of your connected television. You can choose from the following.
- 16:9 Wide: select this when a wide-screen TV is connected; discs recorded in wide-screen format are played over the entire screen
- 4:3 Pan&Scan: select this to play back the disc recorded in wide screen format with 4:3 TV in the Pan&Scan mode with the side of the picture cut off
- 4:3 Letter Box: select this to play back the disc recorded in wide screen format with 4:3 TV in the letter box mode with black strips at the top and bottom
- 4:3 Squeeze Auto: when playing 4:3 images, the picture is displayed in the center of the 16:9 screen with a 4:3 aspect ratio
- 4:3 Squeeze On: The picture is displayed in the center of the 16:9 TV screen with a 4:3 aspect ratio, regardless of the original image size
Slow Forward Playback: The unit allows Slow Forward Playback in three different speeds of BD-video, DVD-video, DVD-VR and DivX discs. Sound is muted during this function.
Resume Playback: This function allows you to resume playback from the point at which the playback has been stopped on the disc even if the power to unit is turned off.
Marker: You can mark electric reference points on a disc to view at a later time. This feature allows you to assign a specific point on a title or track to be called back later. You can mark up to nine points.
Zoom: The player allows you to magnify an image on-screen 1.2x, 1.5x, 2x, or 4x that of normal size and then allows you to pan through that zoomed image. This function is possible on DVD-video, DVD-R/RW, JPEG and DivX discs.
Angle: Some BD and DVD discs contain scenes which have been shot simultaneously from various angles. This player allows you to select from these different camera angles.
Wall Paper: You can select a Blue, Black or Gray background when the DVD player is in stop mode or audio playback mode.
Screen Saver: The screen saver function starts if there is no activity at the unit or its remote for more than 5 minutes. The brightness of the display is darkened by 75%. The screen saver is deactivate when there is any activity.
Dimmer: The brightness of the front panel display on this unit can be adjusted between three settings - Bright, Dimmer, or Auto (front panel gets dark during playback).
Audio Formats: The Blu-ray player's HDMI and digital coaxial outputs are capable of Multi-channel Surround playback, Multi-channel LPCM playback and/or Down-mixed 2-channel audio playback. The BD7004 supports the following Audio Formats depending on the unit's HDMI or digital output setting, disc type used, and audio recording format of disc.
|Type||Audio Recording Format||HDMI Out Setting||Digital Out (Optical/Coaxial) Setting|
|BD-video||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Multi PCM||2ch Down-mix PCM||Dolby Digital||2ch Down-mix PCM|
|Dolby Digital Plus||Dolby Digital Plus||Multi PCM||2ch Down-mix PCM||Dolby Digital||2ch Down-mix PCM|
|Dolby TrueHD||Dolby TrueHD||Multi PCM||2ch Down-mix PCM||Dolby Digital||2ch Down-mix PCM|
|DTS||DTS||Multi PCM||2ch Down-mix PCM||DTS||2ch Down-mix PCM|
|DTS-HD||DTS-HD||Multi PCM||2ch Down-mix PCM||DTS||2ch Down-mix PCM|
|PCM||Multi PCM||Multi PCM||2ch Down-mix PCM||2ch Down-mix PCM||2ch Down-mix PCM|
|AVCHD||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Multi PCM||2ch Down-mix PCM||Dolby Digital||2ch Down-mix PCM|
|PCM||Multi PCM||Multi PCM||2ch Down-mix PCM||2ch Down-mix LPCM||2ch Down-mix PCM|
|DVD-video||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Multi PCM||2ch Down-mix PCM||Dolby Digital||2ch Down-mix PCM|
|DTS||DTS||Multi PCM||2ch Down-mix PCM||DTS||2ch Down-mix PCM|
|PCM||2ch PCM||Multi PCM||2ch Down-mix PCM||2ch PCM||2ch PCM|
|DivX||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Multi PCM||2ch Down-mix PCM||Dolby Digital||2ch Down-mix PCM|
|MP3/MP2||2ch PCM||2ch PCM||2ch PCM||2ch PCM||2ch PCM|
|CD-Audio/MP3/WMA||2ch PCM||2ch PCM||2ch PCM||2ch PCM||2ch PCM|
|DTS-CD||DTS||Multi PCM||2ch Down-mix PCM||DTS||2ch Down-mix PCM|
Virtual Surround: This feature lets you enjoy a surround effect with only two speakers. You can choose from two settings - Natural Effect or Emphasized Effect.
Speaker Management: Not only does this unit decode multi-channel audio such as 5.1-channel and 7.1-channel surround, the BD7004 takes it a step further and allows you to make the following speaker management adjustments when connected via HDMI in Multi (LPCM) mode.
- Speaker Configuration: You can select the desired size for each speaker in your system - Front/Center/Surround/Surround Backs (Large or Small) and Subwoofer (On or Off)
- Channel Level: You can set the volume level for each speaker -Front left/right channel, Center channel, Surround left/right channel, Surround Back left/right channel, and Subwoofer (0 to -12 dB)
- Delay Time: You can optimize the timing at which the sound is output from the speakers according to their distance from your listening position - Front left/right channel, Center channel, Surround left/right channel, and Surround Back left/right channel (0 to 60 feet)
Pure Direct: By selecting the Pure Direct Mode, you shut down the circuitry of the front panel for even lesser audio interference and greater sound quality.
Dynamic Range Control: You can activate the Dynamic Range Control (DRC) function to compress the dynamic range of the output signals when playing back DVD/BD recorded in Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD.
Dialogue Speed: This function plays back at approximately 1.3 times of normal playback with sound being output. This function is available only on discs recorded in the Dolby Digital format.
Audio/Video Sync: Use this feature to automatically sync audio and video timing.
Bonus View: The Bonus View feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
BD-Live Ready: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The Marantz Blu-ray player features an Ethernet port to connect to the internet via your home network and features a front-panel SD-card slot for additional storage.
Note: You must have a minimum 1GB SD-card inserted in on of the unit's front-panel SD-card slot in order to download content from BD-Live.
IR Wireless Remote Control: The Marantz BD7004 comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control to operate this unit only. To avoid other Marantz BD players responding to the remote signal of this unit, you can change the signal of the remote control. If the signal code of the remote does not match to the signal code of the unit, you cannot control the unit with the remote. The remote control also features glow-keys so you can operate the unit easily in the dark.
HDMI Output: The Marantz BD7004 features a single HDMI output for HD video and audio signal transmission. The HDMI port is version 1.3a with 36-bit Deep Color and x.v.color support, along with High Audio Bit-Rate output. The HDMI output supports 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080p/24. The Blu-ray player also features a Source Direct feature which allows the HDMI video resolution to be set to the recorded resolution of the playback media.
Component Video Output: The BD7004 features one component video output, capable of passing a progressive scan signal or an interlaced video signal. The component video output supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i.
Composite Video Output: The DVD player features one Composite video output which supports 480i.
7.1-Channel Audio Outputs: The BD7004 offers a built-in Dolby Digital /DTS decoder with multi-channel analog outputs (7.1ch).
2-Channel Audio Outputs: In addition to the 7.1-channel analog outputs, the unit features a stereo audio output for connecting to a stereo analog input on a TV or receiver. Even when the source audio is multi-channel (Dolby Digital, DTS, DVD-Audio, SACD), these jacks will output a downmixed 2-channel signal.
RS-232C Port: This port connects to the RS-232 port on a compatible external controller, allowing control of this player using outboard remote systems.
Room To Room In/Out: Two 3.5mm mini-jacks are provided for wired remote control, allowing you to connect the BD7004 to compatible Marantz components.
Ethernet: The rear-panel RJ-45 Ethernet port is used to connect to the internet for firmware updates and to access BD-Live (BD-Live requires firmware update).
SD-Card Playback: The BD7004 features a front-panel SD-card slot that supports SD (8MB-2GB), SDHC (4GB), miniSD (8MB-2GB) and microSD (8MB-2GB) cards. This unit recognizes SD Memory Cards with FAT12/FAT16 file system and SDHC Memory Cards with FAT32 file system. The unit will play back MP3, WMA, JPEG, and AVCHD files stored on these memory cards. The player can recognize up to 999 folders and 9,999 files. The name of the folder and file can be displayed up to 8 characters. With an SD Memory Card you can also enjoy the special additional contents for BD-ROM Profile 1.1 which can be downloaded from the internet. You can store the contents on an SD Memory Card via computer and play them back with the BD-video.
Note: A dedicated adapter (sold separately) is required for miniSD and microSD cards.