About the Marantz HD-AMP1
Famous Marantz sound in a space-saving package
Famous Marantz sound in a space-saving package
Folks around here at Crutchfield really go for the warm, detailed sound of Marantz amps, and so do our customers — just check out all the glowing reviews. But a full-size Marantz amp may not always be right for every room. If your system is going in a bedroom, den, dorm room, or home office something a bit smaller like the Marantz HD-AMP1 could sure come in handy. This compact integrated amp delivers the powerful, dynamic punch that Marantz amps are famous for, but in a more space-saving size.
A versatile high-res champ
Just because it's small, don't think the HD-AMP1 is short on features. With its built-in, high-resolution digital-to-analog converter and array of both digital and analog inputs, this amp is ready to play from a wide variety of sources such as network music streamers, disc players, a TV, or a computer. Plus, a convenient front-panel USB port makes it easy to plug in an iPod®, iPhone®, or a thumb drive loaded with music.
Connect your computer via the HD-AMP1's rear-panel USB input and enjoy your entire library of digital tunes through your favorite speakers. If you're into downloading high-resolution audio from websites like HDtracks, 2L, or Blue Coast Records, you'll love this amp. Not only can it make your MP3 and CD-quality music sound fantastic, but it also decodes high-res audio files up to 32-bit/384kHz resolution, so you can enjoy better-than-CD audio quality. (Free USB driver download required for Windows® PC playback.) And this Marantz supports 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, and 11.2MHz DSD digital audio signals for bit-transparent playback of those high-res digital music files.
A Marantz first
Once it sinks its teeth into your music, the HD-AMP1 knows just how to deliver warm, dynamic sound to your speakers. The conservative 35-watt stereo power rating only tells part of this amp's story. Power is generated by a wide-bandwidth, audiophile Class D amplifier — a first-ever for a Marantz component amplifier — and voiced by Ken Ishiwata, Marantz's renowned design guru. This efficient, cool-running design allows the amp to handle the heavy demands of 4-ohm speakers as well as dynamic peaks in music without breaking a sweat. The output stage utilizes current feedback circuitry — first developed by Marantz — to ensure clean playback with minimal distortion while driving both easy and difficult loads. So when that muted trumpet solo is suddenly augmented with the full power of the entire horn section, the HD-AMP1 can handle that sudden jolt of brass cleanly in all its dynamic glory.
- 35 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.1% THD
- 70 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.1% THD
- ESS SABRE DAC ES9010K2M and dual master clock crystals for wide bandwidth, high dynamic range, and low distortion
- back-panel USB port supports PCM digital audio sources up to 32-bit/384 kHz resolution, plus native support of Direct Stream Digital (DSD) files up to 11.2 Mhz (DSD256) resolution
- front-panel USB input plays USB memory devices and iPod®/iPhone®
- compatible with MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, and WAV music files
- asynchronous USB technology with advanced noise isolation for reduced timing jitter and better sound on USB input
- built-in high-performance headphone amplifier
- three-position gain switch optimizes performance with low-, medium-, and high-impedance headphones
- Marantz HDAM® (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) and HDAM-SA2 modules used in analog circuitry for faster signal transfer and better transient response
- Marantz Musical Digital Filtering technology with 2 user-selectable digital filter algorithms for tailoring the sound to your liking
- vibration-resistant solid aluminum front panel and double-layer bottom plate
- simulated wood-grain side panels for a cool retro look
- wireless remote
- rear-panel USB (Type B) port for connection to a computer
- front-panel USB (Type A) port for connecting USB memory devices and iPod/iPhone
- two Toslink optical digital
- 1 coaxial digital
- 2 stereo RCA analog
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- RCA mono subwoofer output for connecting a powered subwoofer
- full-size 1/4" headphone jack (compatible with headphones up to 600 ohms impedance)
- custom Marantz gold-plated solid brass speaker terminals
- RCA remote control input/output (for use with Marantz components with a compatible remote control in/out jack)
Other Info & Specs:
- cool-running, high-performance Class D amplifier
- USB Audio 2.0 driver required for high-resolution audio playback on Windows computers (free USB driver download available from Marantz's website)
- frequency response (DSD mode, PCM sampling frequency: 192 kHz ): 2-50,000 Hz (-3 dB)
- frequency response (PCM sampling frequency: 44.1 kHz): 2-20,000 Hz (-3 dB)
- harmonic distortion: 0.05% (at 1kHz)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 105 dB
- detachable AC power cable
- 12"W x 4-1/4"H x 13-15/16"D
- weight: 12.8 lbs.
- If connecting to a TV, please make sure you can select "PCM" output in your TV's audio menu. This DAC cannot decode multi-channel Dolby® Digital signals.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HD-AMP1
What's in the box:
- Integrated amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC002HD)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 46" USB-B to USB-A cable
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information (US)
- Warranty Information (CA)
More details on the Marantz HD-AMP1
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||35|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||70|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||105|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|High-resolution Audio Playback||FLAC,AIFF,WAV,DSD|
|Total Analog Inputs||2|
|Optical Digital Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||1|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Advanced Class D Amplifier: The Marantz HD-AMP1 integrated amplifier features cool-running, wide bandwidth and wide dynamic range Class D audiophile amplifier technology. The advanced Class D digital power amplifier stage features the latest technologies to deliver wide frequency response (to 50 kHz), wide dynamic range and lowest distortion. Rated at 35 watts per channel into 8 ohms, the HD-AMP1 is fully capable of driving lower impedance speakers and is rated at 70 watts per channel into 4 ohms+, providing compatibility with a widest range of speakers.
Current Feedback Design: First introduced in legendary Marantz tube amplifiers more than 55 years ago, Current Feedback technology provides natural warmth and musicality compared to the standard negative feedback method, helping the HD-AMP1 deliver the utmost audio fidelity for the most enjoyable listening experience.
Marantz HDAM-SA2 Technology: Marantz's exclusive Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module technology was first introduced on their widely acclaimed CD players more than 30 years ago, and today remains a Marantz signature hallmark. Instead of using conventional IC chip op-amps, HDAM technology features precision discrete component circuit blocks that deliver wide frequency response, ultra-fast slew rate and lowest distortion. The HD-AMP1 features HDAM-SA2 in three circuit blocks - including the analog front end and the D/A converter section, as well as the dedicated headphone amp block.
ESS SABRE DAC & Dual Master Quartz Clocks: Equipped with a reference-class ESS SABRE DAC (ES9010K2M) and dual master quartz clocks, the HD-AMP 1 delivers the ultimate high resolution listening experience with today's hi-res audio formats, and is capable of decoding uncompressed audio tracks up to 32-bit/384-kHz, as well as three DSD sampling frequencies - 2.6/5.2/11.2-MHz (DSD is the audio format of SACD).
Compatible Music Formats: For maximum enjoyment with the widest range of audiophile high resolution lossless audio tracks, the HD-AMP1 can decode DSD, PCM, WAV, ALAC, FLAC and AIFF audio file types. It can also decode popular MP3, WMA and AAC tracks as well.
Marantz Musical Digital Filtering: Equipped with Marantz Musical Digital Filtering, their own proprietary DSP filter technology, the HD-AMP1 lets you choose from two digital filter algorithms so you can precisely tailor the sound to your liking.
Tone Controls w/ Source Direct: You can independently adjust the system's overall Bass & Treble settings from -8 to +8 dB. You can also balance between the left & right channels. The Source Direct feature bypasses the integrated amp's tone control for purer sound quality.
Heavy-Duty Binding Posts: The integrated amplifier is fitted with heavy-duty binding-post terminals for maximum signal transfer and corrosion resistance. The binding-post terminals will access bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). You can connect single pair of 4-16 ohm speakers.
Subwoofer Output: The Marantz integrated amp features a mono-sub output for connecting a powered sub (sold separately) to your stereo system for additional bass presence.
Dedicated Headphone Circuit: Designed to deliver the ultimate listening experience with the widest range of headphone types and impedances, the HD-AMP1 features a dedicated headphone amplifier block that employs Marantz's exclusive HDAM-SA2 technology. There are three gain settings available in order to provide optimum matching with the widest range of headphone, impedances. There is a gold-plated 1/4" headphone jack on the front-panel.
Elegant Chassis & Sophisticated Design: The integrated amplifier's compact, elegant chassis features a premium brushed alloy front-panel with matching knobs along with Marantz's signature "Porthole" round front-panel 2-line display. The stylish wood-tone side-panels add a luxurious touch and the robust chassis features rugged dual bottom plate construction for maximum rigidity coupled to aluminum alloy chassis feet for maximum vibration resistance.
Front-Panel USB Input: A USB memory device can be connected to the USB (type-A) port located on the front-panel, allowing you to play various music files through the integrated amplifier. Compatible music files include MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, & DSD. The USB memory device must be mass storage class (msc) compliant and be formatted in FAT16 or FAT32. The unit can recognize up to 200 folders and 2,000 files (255 files per file). The integrated amp also supports basic playback control, song/artist information display, and charging of your connected USB mass storage class device.
|Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate|
|MP3||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps|
|WMA||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-320 kbps|
|AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||16-320 kbps|
Note: USB memory devices will not work via a USB hub. It is not possible to connect and use a computer via the unit's front-panel USB port.
Asynchronous USB-B Input: You can connect a computer to the unit's rear-panel USB (type-B) port to playback music stored on your Windows PC or Mac computer. The USB (type-B) port supports asynchronous transmission to ensure that audio signals from your PC are jitter-less. The rear-panel USB (type-B) port supports playback of high-resolution stereo PCM (up to 32-bit/384kHz) & DSD (2.6/5.2/11.2-MHz) audio files stored on your desktop computer or laptop. You can control music playback from the included remote control. Song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed on the unit's front-panel LCD. Your computer will need to meet the following system requirements for proper playback.
- Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10; If you are using a Windows computer then you must download a dedicated USB driver from the Marantz website.
- Mac OS X 10.9, 10.10 or 10.11; Mac computers work without any additional driver needed.
Note: Player software supporting the Audio Stream Input Output (ASIO) driver is required to play files with a sampling frequency of 352.8 kHz/384 kHz without downsampling. Check your computer's player software before playing files with the ASIO driver.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connect: The unit's front-panel USB (type-A) port can also be used to directly connect your Lightning or 30-pin connector Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad. The USB connection features digital audio signal handling, which routes the digital signal to the HD-AMP1's 24 bit/192 kHz audiophile quality D/A converters for optimum fidelity. The Marantz HD-AMP1 supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select Apple devices. The Marantz HD-AMP1 offers the following iPod/iPhone/iPad functions.
- Audio Playback: You can listen to stored music and music apps from your USB connected iPod, iPhone, or iPad through the Marantz integrated amplifier.
- Music Navigation: You can choose to operate your connected iPod/iPhone from the included remote control, or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. The Marantz HD-AMP1 lets you browse by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. It also offers Play/Pause, Stop, Skip/Back, Repeat, and Random functions.
- Music Information Display: The Marantz integrated amplifier will display Track #, Elapsed playing time; as well as Song, Artist, and Album name. You can also choose to view the music information on your iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Charging: The HD-AMP1 will charge (5V/1A) your USB-connected iPod or iPhone when the integrated amp is powered up or in standby mode. When the HD-AMP1 is put into standby mode your device continues to charge until the battery reaches full capacity and then charging is automatically shut off. This unit does not charge the iPad.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Marantz HD-AMP1 is "Made for iPod/iPhone compatible" and supports the following specific iPod/iPhone models (as of 3/3/2016):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Digital Audio Inputs: There are also three digital inputs; 2 optical (toslink) and one coax (RCA) for connection of a CD, SACD, DVD, or Blu-ray player. The digital connections support Linear PCM stereo signals up to 24-bit/192kHz.
Dual Analog Inputs: For compatibility with analog audio sources such as a tuner, tape deck or any other source that's not equipped with digital audio outputs, the HD-AMP1 features two analog stereo RCA inputs.
Front-Panel "Port-Hole" Display: The Marantz HD-AMP1 integrated amplifier features a front-panel "Port-Hole" style display to view volume and input selection, as well as song/artist information. The display brightness can be adjusted between four levels.
IR Remote Control: The Marantz HD-AMP1 includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the integrated amplifier, stored music files on your computer, and a connected USB device or iPod/iPhone.
Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the HD-AMP1 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
Auto Standby: This unit will automatically switch to "Standby" mode when there is no input signal and no operation for approximately 30 minutes.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
7 questions already asked