About the Marantz NR1200
A little something for everyone
A little something for everyone
Perhaps the coolest thing about this slim Marantz receiver is its sheer flexibility. If you're a music buff, the NR1200 has you covered from multiple angles. Use the phono input to connect your turntable, or the optical or coaxial input to connect your high-performance DAC or other digital audio source of choice. Plug in a USB thumb drive loaded with high-res music files. Or forgo physical connections entirely and use the receiver's robust built-in HEOS streaming platform to access your favorite digital music sources wirelessly.
Better sound from your TV
Thanks to the NR1200's five HDMI inputs and ARC-compatible HDMI output, you can use it as the hub of a sweet little two-channel audio/video setup. Plug in a game console, Apple TV or Roku, and Blu-ray player in your living room or den, hook up your favorite pair of stereo speakers, and suddenly you've got waay better sound than your TV's built-in speakers could ever give you.
Classic Marantz quality in a slim design
Crutchfield customers have been delighted by Marantz's slimline NR Series of home theater receivers for years. Now with the NR1200, Marantz is making this decor-friendly, space-saving design available in a stereo receiver. It takes up about half the height of a traditional model, which helps it fit into space-challenged cabinets — or just look a little less bulky in your room. Clean, high-current amplification dishes out gorgeous, detailed sound.
Stream your music with HEOS
Built-in HEOS technology lets you easily play a wide range of digital music — from your personal library, internet radio stations, and popular streaming services like Pandora®, Spotify®, and TIDAL. Apple AirPlay 2 means you can stream audio directly from your iPhone®, iPad®, or Mac® computer. That includes soundtracks from YouTube™ videos and Netflix movies.
And this receiver can be easily integrated into a wireless multi-room audio system. Stream music to HEOS wireless speakers and components in different rooms, and control each room's sound independently with the free HEOS app. The app lets you control playback, browse music sources, and select which rooms you want to use. Play the same music throughout your home, or listen to something different in each room.
- 75 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- 100 watts per channel into 6 ohms with 2 channels driven
Digital and streaming music options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- built-in HEOS technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- supports multi-room audio with compatible wireless speakers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz)
- line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room
- zone 2 not compatible with HDMI, optical digital, or coaxial digital inputs
- HDMI 2.0b audio/video switching: 5 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.3 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- supports HDR10 and HLG high dynamic range formats
- supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) for passing audio signals to the receiver from your TV
- Dolby Digital and DTS surround not supported; TV must be set to output 2-channel PCM
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 1 coaxial
- 3 analog stereo audio inputs
- preamp output for connecting to an external stereo power amp
- MM (moving magnet) phono input for connecting a turntable
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives
- A and B speaker output pairs
- preamp outputs for two powered subwoofers
- Ethernet port for wired network connection
- IR input for use with external controllers
- 1/4" headphone output
- detachable power cord
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- free Marantz remote app lets you use your Apple or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi remote
- Setup Assistant guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- intuitive, full-color on-screen guide
- Video Select lets you listen to music while watching video from a different source
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- sleep timer
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-3/8"W x 4-1/8"H x 15-5/8"D (6-7/8"H with Wi-Fi antennas raised)
- weight: 18.1 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # NR1200/U1B
What's in the box:
- Stereo receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC041SR)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 2 WiFi/Bluetooth antennas
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
- Safety Instructions
- Notes On Radio
- Bluetooth/WiFi Certified note
- Spotify Connect brochure
Marantz NR1200 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Marantz NR1200
Features & specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||75|
|THD in Stereo||0.08 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||20-20k Hz|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|FM Sensitivity||12.8 dBf|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||98dB|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||74dB|
|AirPlay Compatible||AirPlay 2|
|Total Number of Zones||2|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|USB Connections||1 Front|
|Ethernet Wired Network Port||Yes|
|Total Audio Inputs||3|
|Digital Audio Inputs||1 Coax/2 Optical|
|Speaker Output Pairs||2|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Premium Quality Parts: Marantz has a steadfast reputation for choosing the best-possible components for its Hi-Fi audio gear. Marantz engineers thoughtfully selected and optimized the NR1200 through extensive listening at dedicated Marantz facilities in Europe and Japan using only the most premier Hi-Fi tuned sound parts. The NR1200 is engineered with dedicated Hi-Fi parts for two-channel Hi-Fi performance - including custom designed power capacitors, sound parts exquisitely tuned by Marantz sound masters, and a dual DAC circuit design.
High-Current Discrete Stereo Amplifier: The Marantz NR1200 stereo receiver employs a powerful high-current discrete amplifier rated at 75 watts x 2 channels into 8-ohms at 20-20kHz with 0.08% THD. The amplifier circuit design of the NR1200 features separate, symmetrical left and right power amplifiers, with a central power supply distribution. This design improves channel separation, reduces crosstalk and preserves the musical sound stage clarity that you expect from Marantz.
Dual DAC Differential Circuit: The Marantz NR1200 utilizes an 8-channel, 24-bit/129kHz DAC (AK4458) by AKM operating in dual differential mode which assigns two channels of the DAC to each stereo left and right audio signal of the receiver for increased the dynamic range and clarity. This design greatly improves the signal to noise (s/n) ratio, reproducing clearer sound even from sources with very low signal resolution.
Listening Modes: In addition to stereo playback, the Marantz NR1200 offers two Direct Listening Modes which bypass the receiver's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance.
- Stereo: Sound is output from the front left and right speakers, as well as the powered subwoofer, with digital signal processing and tone control.
- Direct: Direct Mode provides playback of 2ch audio in its original form, without any digital signal processing or tone control.
- Pure Direct: Pure Direct Mode goes a step further by turning off the receiver's DSP, tone control, display and analog video circuitry to minimize the possibility of any noise being added to the audio signal.
Note: The NR1200 is not compatible with Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multichannel surround formats.
M-DAX: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The M-DAX function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
Speaker Setup: The Marantz NR1200 provides a Test Tone to help you setup the output level of your connected loudspeakers. While listening to the Test Tone, you can adjust the output level (-12 to +12dB) of the left and right speakers. You can also adjust the receiver's subwoofer output level (-12 to + 12dB); as well as the the subwoofer output's Low Pass Filter (40, 60, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 150, 200, or 250Hz). In addition, you can set the distance (0 to 60') between the speakers and subwoofer from your main listening position.
Note: This receiver does not offer auto speaker calibration and room correction.
Tone & Balance Control: The Marantz NR1200 offers Bass & Treble control, along with balance adjustment. You'll be able to adjust Bass & Treble from -6dB to +6DB, as well as adjust the balance in sound output between the connected left and right speakers.
Volume & Level Settings: The Marantz NR1200 stereo receiver offers the following volume & level settings.
- Volume Settings: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB). You can also set a maximum volume level of 0 (80), -10 (70), or -20 (60) dB to limit the receiver's total volume output. In addition, you can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on; select "Mute", -79 to +18dB (1-98), or Last. Volume settings can be adjusted independently for the Main Zone and Zone 2.
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
Analog & Digital Audio Inputs: The Marantz NR1200 is outfitted with both analog & digital audio inputs - including HDMI inputs, optical/coaxial digital inputs, as well as line-level and phono analog inputs.
- HDMI Inputs: The five HDMI inputs only support 2ch PCM audio up to 24-bit/192kHz (not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS).
- Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The stereo receiver is equipped with two optical (toslink) digital inputs and one coaxial (RCA) digital input that support up to 24-bit/192khz 2ch PCM audio (not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS).
- Line-Level Inputs: There are two line-level analog inputs for connecting an external CD player or tape deck.
- Phono Input: The Marantz NR1200 is outfitted with a Phono input (MM), so you can connect your turntable and listen to your vinyl records with high-quality sound.
Audio Outputs: The Marantz NR1200 stereo receiver features speaker A/B terminals, dual sub outputs, front pre-outs, a HDMI ARC output, and a front-panel headphone jack.
- Speaker A/B Terminals: The receiver is equipped with speaker A/B terminals for connecting up to two pair of loudspeakers or bi-wiring a single pair of loudspeakers. These binding-post terminals can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single/dual). When connecting one pair of loudspeakers to the Speaker A terminals, the receiver will accept impedances of 4 to 16-ohm. When connecting two pair of speakers to the Speaker A & B terminals or when bi-wiring a single pair of loudspeakers with the Speaker A & B terminals, the receiver will support impedances of 8 to 16-ohm. There is an impedance setting in the on-screen menu.
- Dual Sub Outputs: For compatibility with dual subwoofer systems, the NR1200 features two non-discrete subwoofer outputs. With dual subwoofers, which can be placed in different parts of the room, you'll benefit from response averaging, which helps provide smoother and more detailed deep bass, compared to a conventional single subwoofer speaker system. The same signal is output from each sub output.
- Front Outputs: This receiver features front channel line-level outputs to connect an external power amplifier to your front speakers for increased power output. The output is variable.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the NR1200's HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. Only the 2ch PCM setting can be used to play sound from a TV via the ARC function (the receiver does not support eARC).
- Headphone Jack: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
HDMI 2.0a: Featuring five HDMI inputs and one HDMI output, the NR1200 incorporates an advanced video section that features the latest HDMI 2.0a specification, including support for 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video, BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, High Dynamic Range (HDR), & 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, along with support for 3D content. The NR1200 also features HDCP 2.3 compatibility, which is the latest 4K Ultra HD copyright protection standard.
- 4K/60Hz + HDCP 2.3: The NR1200's HDMI inputs and monitor output support up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second. All of the HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.3, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission. The receiver will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The HDM inputs and monitor output support RGB (up to 12-bit/30fps or 8-bit/60fps); YCbCr 4:4:4 (up to 12-bit/30fps or 8-bit/60fps), YCbCr 4:2:2 (up to 12-bit/60fps), and YCbCr 4:2:0 (up to 12-bit/60fps) color subsampling. The front-panel HDMI only supports 4K 60/50Hz using format YCbCr 4:2:0 only. With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
- Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
- Make sure the receiver's 4K Signal Format in the on-screen menu is set to "Enhanced" for playback of 4:4:4, 10-bit, and/or 12-bit 4K video.
- This stereo receiver is not equipped with an analog video inputs or outputs.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): The Marantz NR1200 supports HDR (high dynamic range) Video - including HDR 10 and Hybrid Log-Gamma. HDR provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Hybrid-Log Gamma: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
Note: This stereo receiver does not support Dolby Vision.
Other HDMI Features: The NR1200 stereo receiver's HDMI connectivity also offers ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode), 3D video pass-through, and auto LipSync function.
- ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode): The receiver will enter ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) when it detects a gaming signal from a compatible device (such as a Xbox One) and allows for a smooth, lag-free gaming experience. During ALLM, the receiver disables the Auto Lip Sync function.
- 3D Ready: The NR1200 stereo receiver supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the receiver set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the receiver automatically adjusts audio output timing, if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When the stereo receiver is in "Standby" mode and the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled, both audio/video streams from the receivers HDMI input will be output to your television, via the stereo receiver's HDMI monitor output. Once the receiver is turned "On", only video will pass through the monitor output to your TV and the audio is directed to the receiver's speaker outputs.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the stereo receiver to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
Video Select Function: This receiver can display video from a different source on your connected TV during audio playback from Tuner or HEOS music apps.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Marantz NR1200 offers a wired or wireless network connection. Either network connection gives the receiver access to HEOS music apps (like Pandora, Amazon, or Tidal), TuneIn Internet Radio, Spotify Connect, your music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, as well as music content on your Windows PC or DLNA music server.
- Ethernet Jack: The Marantz NR1200 receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to make a wired connection from the receiver to your home network.
- Built-in WiFi: The receiver also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (7.0+).
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
TuneIn Internet Radio: The Marantz NR1200 includes access to more than 100,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the built-in TuneIn online music service. Simply select TuneIn from the receiver's on-screen menu using the included remote and browse among the 100,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to you.
Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to Spotify and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you can stream Spotify to the Marantz stereo receiver. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
HEOS Music Apps: With built-in HEOS technology and the HEOS app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0) on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you'll be able to stream a wide variety of online music services (fees may apply), plus the music library of your mobile device through the Marantz stereo receiver.
- Online Music Services: Using the HEOS app, you'll be able to stream your favorite online music services like Amazon Music, Pandora, TIDAL, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Napster, TuneIn, & Spotify (some services will require a paid subscription, purchases, and/or other fees). The HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device will serve as the controller for these apps and provide song/artist information with Album Art. You can create a "Favorite" station list, so you can quickly access your favorite internet radio stations and online music channels.
- Mobile Device Streaming: Using the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you are able to stream your device's stored music library to the Marantz stereo receiver. You'll be able to browse your music library by Artist, Album, Genre, and Song; control music playback functions like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track; and view song/artist info with Album Art from the app on your compatible mobile device. You can even type in an artist name or song title to find music in your mobile device's library.
- Prior to using the HEOS system, you'll need to setup up your free HEOS account. Your HEOS account remembers all your settings and preferences such as all your music service logins and HEOS playlists. When you'd like to add multiple smartphone or tablet controllers to your system, you only need to sign in to each new device with your HEOS user name and password. Instantly all your music services and HEOS playlists are available in the new controller too.
- If you prefer, HEOS supports multiple accounts in a single household. This way, each family member can enjoy their own personalized Pandora, Spotify, or other online music account settings and still share all the same speakers in the home.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The NR1200 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8/10 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your Windows PC. The receiver can wirelessly playback High-Res music content from your PC, while using the included remote control to browse your music library. The receiver supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed on the unit's front-panel or on-screen menu. In addition the unit will display Album Art on a connected television. The Marantz NR1200 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Resolution||Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit-Rate/Bit-Depth||Extension|
|Hi-Res||WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.wav|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.flac|
|ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.m4A|
|Compressed||MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|AAC (MPEG-4)||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
Roon Tested: Roon is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play on the Marantz receiver and any other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage devices. It can also integrate your iTunes library, and optionally merge with the Tidal and Qobuz music streaming services. Roon software can be installed on your Windows or Mac computer, while a Roon Remote app is available for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+). When you access the Roon software or remote app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with the available Marantz receiver and other Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the Marantz receiver or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
- To use Roon you will need a Roon Core running on the same network as the Marantz receiver. The Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or component (like Nucleus or ROCK - sold separately), located on the network within your home.
- Make sure your Marantz product has the latest firmware/software update installed.
AM/FM Tuner: The Marantz stereo receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with 56 station auto-preset memory tuning. You can also set your presets manually. You can create an 8-character name for each preset station. You can even directly enter a station number using the receiver's on-screen menu and remote control.
AirPlay 2: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the Marantz receiver and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Marantz receiver. With AirPlay 2, also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI). You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Marantz receiver.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Marantz NR1200 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 4.1) for wireless communication between Bluetooth-enabled audio source devices and headphones. The NR1200 can act as a Bluetooth receiver in order to wirelessly stream music from an audio device, or a Bluetooth transmitter (available firmware update) in order to wirelessly stream music to a set of BT-enabled headphones. The receiver's Bluetooth wireless range is approximately 98.4'.
- Bluetooth Receiver Mode: In BT Receiver mode, you'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop) to the Marantz receiver. The receiver supports the Bluetooth SBC codec only. You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the receiver's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device. There is no song/artist information display on the receiver or connected TV; continue to use your Bluetooth device's screen to view song/artist info. Up to eight Bluetooth source devices can be remembered by the NR1200, so family members as well as friends can enjoy their favorite tracks (only one device can be used at a time). The receiver can even be setup to automatically re-connect with previously paired devices, as well as turn on automatically when you start streaming audio from a Bluetooth source device.
- Bluetooth Transmitter Mode (available firmware update): The Marantz NR1200 can also act as a Bluetooth transmitter and stream its non-Bluetooth audio sources (HDMI, Network, USB, Analog, Optical/Coax Digital, & AM/FM tuner) out to most any Bluetooth-enabled headphone set. You can even have the same source playing from the main speakers and a Bluetooth headphone simultaneously (with little noticeable delay). Volume control of your Bluetooth headphones will be controlled via the Bluetooth device and not the receiver. Up to eight headphones can be paired with the receiver, but only one set of headphones can be connected and used at a time.
- You cannot use the Bluetooth Transmitter and Receiver modes simultaneously. The Bluetooth Transmitter mode is not available when the receiver's current source input is set to Bluetooth and vice-versa; Bluetooth Receiver mode is not available when the Bluetooth setting "Transmitter" is set to ON.
- Selecting a Bluetooth input source in any Zone will terminate the connection between the Marantz receiver and Bluetooth headphones.
- You cannot connect Bluetooth headphones when the Marantz receiver is grouped within the HEOS app. Remove the receiver from the group to enable Bluetooth headphones connection.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Marantz receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as a USB thumbdrive or portable HDD (a portable hard disk drive will require an external power supply). Compatible USB storage devices must be formatted in FAT32 or NTFS with no more than 500 music folders and 5000 music files. You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Song/artist information will display on your HDMI-connected TV and the receivers front-panel display. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the stereo receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
|Resolution||Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|Hi-Res||WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.wav|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.flac|
|ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.m4A|
|Compressed||MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|AAC (MPEG-4)||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a|
Note: The receiver's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android OS devices, USB hubs, card-readers, and computers.
Zone 2 Pre-Outs: Zone 2 allows stereo playback of an audio source connected to the receiver in another room of your home via its RCA preamp outputs, an external amplifier, and pair of loudspeakers. When using the receiver's Zone 2 preamp outputs, you'll need an additional amplifier and pair of loudspeakers in the other room. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Marantz receiver or from your external integrated amplifier.
- Compatible Sources:
- Analog Audio Inputs (including Phono)
- AM/FM Tuner (cannot select different stations for each zone)
- USB & Bluetooth Audio (cannot select USB & Bluetooth in separate zones)
- HEOS Music Apps (including Pandora, Tidal, Amazon, and more); cannot select different HEOS music apps for each zone
- Network Sources (including TuneIn Internet Radio, Spotify Connect, AirPlay, & DLNA); cannot select two different networks sources for Zone 1 and Zone 2
- Incompatible Sources:
- HDMI, Optical, & Coaxial inputs
- DSD Audio Files
- Unfortunately, you cannot select USB, Bluetooth and Network sources exclusively for each Zone. For example, if you select a network source for Zone 2 when a USB source is selected for the Main Zone, the input source in the Main Zone also switches to the same network source as Zone 2.
Note: The Marantz receiver only supports a single HEOS music stream. If you desire a second HEOS music stream through the receiver's multizone output, you will need to connect the HEOS Link to one of the stereo receiver's analog inputs.
All Zone Stereo Function: The All Zone Stereo function allows you to enjoy the stereo receiver's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2 simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types - analog, digital [including HDMI ARC], or wireless). You will have independent volume control in each zone. The All Zone Stereo function is useful when you want to enjoy the same music at the same time in multiple rooms during a get together or party.
Speaker B: The NR1200 is equipped with Speaker A and B speaker terminals for connecting up to two pair of loudspeakers. Speaker A can be used for your main stereo loudspeakers, while Speaker B can be used for a pair of loudspeakers in another room. Speaker A and Speaker B can be active at the same time, or you can play only Speaker A or only Speaker B. When played together, Speaker A and Speaker B will output the same audio source at the same volume level (does not support independent sources or independent volume control). When connecting two pair of speakers to the receiver, you should use 8 to 16-ohm speakers (not compatible with 4-ohm).
HEOS Wireless Multiroom Audio: Built-in HEOS technology enables the NR1200 to become part of the HEOS wireless multi-room audio eco-system, allowing you to stream and control all of your local and online music effortlessly from anywhere in your home with the HEOS App on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device over a wireless WiFi network connection. The HEOS system is a true multi-room audio system that automatically synchronizes audio playback between multiple HEOS devices so that your music (up to 24-bit/192kHz Hi-Res audio) coming from different rooms is perfectly in sync and always sounds amazing. You can play the same audio source (other than your connected TV) in every room or any combination of rooms you choose, including a different song in every room.
- Systems & Groups: The HEOS wireless multi-room sound system by Denon can support up to 32 HEOS speakers, receivers, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers (all sold separately) on a single wireless network (IEEE 802.11 g/n; 2.4/5GHz). You can join or group up to eight individual Heos devices into a group that function as if they were a single source. The HEOS eco-system is flexible enough where you can create up to 16 Groups (2 Heos devices per Group). You can easily group 16 rooms together with Party Mode by simply using a "pinch" gesture.
- Compatible Sources: The receiver's input sources, HEOS music apps, and local network content can be distributed through a HEOS multi-room audio system. However, you can not distribute an input source (analog, HDMI, optical/coax, USB, Bluetooth, tuner) that is different than the main zone of the stereo receiver (this is a change from previous HEOS-enabled receivers).
- Receiver's analog inputs & AM/FM Tuner
- HDMI (including ARC) and optical/coax digital inputs (2ch PCM only)
- TuneIn Internet Radio & Spotify Connect
- HEOS music apps (including Amazon, Pandora,Tidal, and more)
- Windows PC & DLNA music servers
- Bluetooth & USB audio
- Music libraries stored on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device.
Note: HEOS wireless multiroom audio distribution does not support AirPlay/AirPlay 2.
IR Remote: The Marantz NR1200 comes with an IR remote for wireless operation of the stereo receiver. It also supports HDMI-CEC and Smart TV Control.
- HDMI CEC: HDMI CEC allows you to link operation of the receiver with other audio/video components (like your TV, Blu-ray player, or satellite/cable box) that are connected via HDMI. Linked functions include Power On/Off, which turns the receiver On or Off when you power on or off an HDMI CEC connected component; and Source Switching, which automatically switches the receiver to the input of the HDMI CEC component that has begun playback. The HDMI CEC function can be disabled, if your prefer. Not all HDMI CEC compatible devices will function in the same way.
- Smart TV Control: You can even control the Marantz NR1200 with your Smart TV remote via an HDMI connection and the HDMI CEC functionality associated with your Smart TV. Simply set "HDMI Control" to ON in the receiver, then set "Smart Menu" to ON and begin controlling the NR1200 with your TV's remote. The Smart Menu home screen provides you quick access to source and surround mode selections, the AVR's setup menu and four Smart Selects (or "Quick Selects").
HEOS App: You'll need to download the HEOS App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.4+) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device to enjoy HEOS functionality through the NR1200 receiver. Using your compatible mobile device and the HEOS app, you can setup, browse, explore, and control HEOS system right in the palm of your hand, from anywhere in your home. Your compatible Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home wireless (WiFi) network as the stereo receiver and your entire HEOS system. The HEOS app consists of 4 control screens.
- Settings: The "Settings" screen enables you to connect one or more HEOS speakers, receivers, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers to your home's wireless network.
- Rooms: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select which rooms you want playing. You can play the same music in multiple rooms by grouping rooms together, or you can listen to a different source in each room.
- Music/Sources: You can select what music and which source you want to listen to from the app. Choose from online music services like Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, Tidal, etc.; your music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, Windows PC/DLNA server, or USB thumbdrive; and analog inputs; as well as Bluetooth on the HEOS AVR. You can also select music from Playlists you've created, Favorites you've saved, and your recent listening History.
- Now Playing: The "Now Playing" screen displays song, artist, and album information; along with Album Art. You also get basic playback controls like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track, plus Volume controls Up/Down and Mute. In addition the "Now Play" screen functions unique to the selected online music service or music library.
Alexa Compatible: HEOS and Amazon Alexa customers can now enjoy the convenience of Alexa voice control plus high-quality wireless home audio. In addition to controlling your HEOS components with the HEOS app on your mobile device or tablet, you can now control them with Amazon Alexa voice technology and an Amazon Alexa device (such as the Echo or Echo Dot, sold separately). Your HEOS components and the Alex-enabled devices must be on the same network. Voice control features include -
- Alexa voice commands include Volume (up/down, specific volume number, & mute); Playback (Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Previous, Resume); and Power on/off. And thanks to the latest firmware update, you can even use Alexa to switch inputs on HEOS enabled AV receivers and soundbars.
- You can group your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app with an Alexa-friendly name. Once they are grouped, Alexa voice commands will control the group as a whole. If you want to play audio content from only one HEOS-enabled device in the group, you must ungroup the device within the HEOS app.
- You are able use voice commands to search for songs, albums and artists and even podcasts and internet stations from HEOS & Alexa compatible music apps - like Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Spotify Connect, & SiriusXM.
Google Assistant Support: Ask your Google Home, the Google app (for Apple iOS 10.3+ and Android OS 4.4+), or other devices with Google Assistant built-in to control HEOS content across your listening environment. Once you start music in the HEOS app, you can ask the Google Assistant to control volume, play, pause, skip tracks, and more. Once you have grouped your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app, you can use the Google Assistant and voice commands to control a group of HEOS devices as a whole. Make sure the unit has the latest HEOS software and firmware update installed.
- A firmware update (scheduled for 2019) will allow you to use the Google Assistant and your voice to queue up music services, power on/off devices, switch inputs and more.
- Click here for more info on Google Assistant for HEOS.
Josh.ai Smart Home Voice Automation: An elevated voice agent for the high-end smart home, Josh.ai offers flexible voice control for nearly any aspect of your day-to-day experience and entertainment environment. Use voice commands to control the Marantz stereo receiver, thermostat, lights, home appliances, powered speakers, and more. Josh.ai is installed by custom integrators and accessed through the Josh - Home Automation app on your Apple iOS 11.1+ or Android OS 4.4+ device.
AVR Remote App: The new Marantz AVR Remote App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.0+) lets you control the Marantz stereo receiver using your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device. From this free app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device, you'll be able to control the Marantz stereo receiver's basic functions; such as power, volume, input, surround modes, and other settings. You'll also be able to navigate the stereo receiver's network and Internet content from the app. In addition, you get you get unique features likes a landscape orientation control screen for tablet devices, the ability to create playlists, and control over a Marantz Blu-ray player.
- Landscape Orientation Control Screen: With a landscape orientation control screen for tablet devices, you can easily browse and navigate through your network music services or personal digital music collection with ease, and at the same time view now-playing information and cover art all on a single screen.
- Create Playlists: The app's playback screen allows you to easily build your own personal music playlists on the fly with the ability to Drag & Drop files into your queue, or tap to "Play Now", "Play Next", "Play Next and Replace Queue" or "Add to End of Queue". You can then save your queue as a playlist for easy recall.
- Marantz Blu-ray Player Control: The app allows control over Marantz Blu-ray players (UD5007/7007 series) that are connected to the stereo receiver via HDMI.
Note: This stereo receiver is not compatible with last year's older Marantz Remote App.
Remote Connections: The Remote input and output terminals consists of mono-RCA jacks and allow you to connect the NR1200 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals. The IR Input (Flasher) consists of a minijack (3.5mm) and is used to control the NR1200 from an external key-pad (sold separately).
Web Control: You can also control the Marantz stereo receiver from a web control screen on a web browser through your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Advanced Custom Installation Support: The Marantz stereo receiver offers extended support for easy custom install integration. Featuring "ihiji Invision" remote system management technology, "Domotz Pro" remote monitoring and management technology with dedicated web interface to control and setup the stereo receiver from a computer on the same network. Let your installer easily monitor the status of connected products and troubleshoot remotely from a separate location or on-the-go.
Slim Design Chassis w/ Contoured Front-Panel: The Marantz NR1200 stereo receiver features a slim designed chassis, so it easily fits on a shelf or inside a cabinet. The NR1200 features a contoured front-panel that combines aluminum and glass-reinforced resins for maximum shielding, dimensional stability, and sophisticated styling. The front-panel is clean, precise, and inviting. Volume and input selection knobs flank a rectangular volume/source display.
OSD w/ Setup Assistant (via HDMI): Once you connect your TV to the NR1200 via HDMI, the exclusive Marantz Setup Assistant appears on your TV screen to walk you through setup, step-by-step. With Marantz's on-screen menu and setup assistant, you can connect, configure, and use your home theater system with ease. The OSD and setup assistant features clear on-screen graphics and text that optimizes critical system settings for your particular home theater setup.
- The on-screen menu and setup assistant is required for initial setup and is only available through the receiver's HDMI output.
- The video being played will not appear in the background of the menu when the menu is operated during playback of 4K, HDR, or 3D video; or if the video aspect ratio is not 16:9 or 4:3.
Smart Select: On the NR1200's front-panel and remote control, you'll find four Smart Select buttons that let you quickly choose from the most popular input sources. With Smart Select, the NR1200 remembers not only your preferred inputs but also your preferred audio settings, so you can enjoy precisely tailored sound with each one.
Source Rename & Hide: You can change the display name (up to 12 characters) of a selected input source. If an input isn't being used, you can delete it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Lock Functions: To prevent accidental operation of the stereo receiver, you can disable operation of the buttons on the front-panel. You can also disable the receiver's IR sensor to prevent accidental operation of the receiver from the remote control.
Timers: The Marantz stereo receiver features a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Standby function. The Sleep Timer function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments. The unit will enter standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (15/30/60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
ECO Mode: This receiver is equipped with an ECO Mode function that allows you to enjoy music and movies while reducing the power consumption during use, Eco mode adjusts the maximum power available according to the volume level selected to reduce power consumption.
Protection Circuit: This is a function to prevent damage to components within the power supply when an abnormality such as an overload, excess voltage, or over-heating occurs. In this unit, the power indicator blinks and the unit enters standby mode when an abnormality occurs.
Software Updates: Using the receiver's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. You can also set the receiver to automatically download the latest firmware and software updates when it is in standby mode. Visit Marantz's Owner's Circle for access to downloads to keep the Marantz receiver up-to-date.
20 questions already asked