About the Marantz NR1506
Beef up your home theater with a slim receiver
Beef up your home theater with a slim receiver
If you want big 5.2-channel sound but don't want your A/V equipment dominating your living room, we'd say the Marantz NR1506 is a smart choice. At about half the height of typical models, this unimposing slim-line receiver can fit into a tight space and still deliver high-impact home theater thrills. You'll get spine-tingling surround sound with cutting-edge video and music features, plus an app for convenient control using your smartphone — all in a sleek, space-saving package.
Ready for 4K
Every HDMI connection on the NR1506 is HDCP 2.2 compliant, so you'll be able to take full advantage of current and future Ultra HD content with a compatible 4K TV. You'll enjoy remarkable clarity and definition from 4K Blu-ray discs (a format we're excited to see later this year), online video streaming and subscription-based services, and even home movies taken with a 4K-capable camera.
Wireless connectivity gives you near-infinite listening options
With Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Apple AirPlay all built-in, you're not likely to find yourself at a loss for great music at a moment's notice. You'll have quick access to your own digital music library and thousands of Internet radio stations from around the world. There's also support for subscription-based services like Spotify®, Pandora®, and SiriusXM Internet radio, so you can listen to all of your on-the-go favorites through your home theater speakers.
Due to changes implemented by Pandora, this receiver is temporarily unable to connect to the Pandora service. A firmware update to resolve this issue is currently available.
Substantial sound quality
The NR1506 supports playback of high-resolution audio files so you can enjoy sumptuously detailed music. Marantz's compressed audio enhancer revitalizes lower-resolution audio formats, letting you get the most out of any music source you select. And don't be fooled by the modest amplifier rating. We hear from lots of customers that their 50-watt-per-channel Marantz receivers have plenty of power to fill small and medium-sized rooms.
Simplified setup and operation
You won't need to spend hours poring over the owner's manual to set up the NR1506, thanks to Marantz's Setup Assistant. Just plug in the receiver, connect it to your TV with an HDMI cable, and follow the on-screen instructions to get your system connected in no time. Then plug the included setup microphone into the NR1506's front panel, and the Audyssey MultEQ calibration system measures your speakers and the room's acoustics to give you optimal sound. Smart Select buttons on the receiver and remote allow for easy source switching, and the receiver remembers sound settings for each input. The Marantz AVR Remote App for iOS® and Android™ lets you use your mobile device as a Wi-Fi remote for easy, intuitive home theater control.
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel amplifier
- 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Audyssey Laboratories' MultEQ® auto setup and room calibration system (microphone included)
- M-DAX2 (Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander) enhances compressed audio for better sound from MP3s and other digital music files
Digital Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Pandora®, SiriusXM Internet radio, and Spotify Connect® (subscription required for some services)
- firmware update needed to connect to Pandora: available now
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®.
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 2.8 MHz .dsf files)
- direct digital connection for your iPod®/iPhone via the front-panel USB port bypasses your player's digital-to-analog converter for better sound
- Ethernet port for network connection
- DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 certified to ensure optimal compatibility with other network-enabled equipment
Audio Performance Features:
- 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- Pure Direct mode switches off unnecessary circuitry to provide cleaner sound
- detachable power cord
- HDMI 2.0 audio/video switching: 6 in, 1 out (including 1 front-panel input)
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (all HDMI inputs and monitor output)
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner or "smart" content via HDMI
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 1 coaxial
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- preamp outputs for two powered subwoofers
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- on-screen display for easier system setup and operation (via HDMI only)
- built-in Easy Setup Assistant
- Video Select lets you listen to music (network, USB, or tuner) while watching video from a different source
- free Marantz remote app lets you use your Apple or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi® remote
- sleep timer
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- 56 AM/FM presets
- remote control
- 17-3/8"W x 4-1/16"H x 15-11/16"D
- weight: 18.1 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # NR1506
What's in the box:
- 5.1ch AV receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC028SR)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Audyssey Setup Mic (ACM1HB)
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Cardboard mic stand
- Quick Start Guide(En/Fr/Sp)
- USA Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
- Safety Instructions
- Notes On Radio
- Sheet of adhesive labels
- Microphone Stand Assembly Instructions
Marantz NR1506 reviews
I picked this unit because of the size. I had limited space in my cabinet for a receiver. It was a nice upgrade from the Sony unit that I used previously.
Pros: Small size Easy to operate Great sound
Cons: None that I can think of.
1 of 1 found this helpful
This review is in response to the person who had the bad Apple Airplay expereince. I have a NR1504 receiver and experienced the same issue. All that was required to fix the problem was a firmware update. I am in the IT profession and any vender will tell you that if you are having issue with any piece of equipment the first thing to do is to update to the latest firmware. The process is simple and easy, even easier than completing a return with Crutchfields awesome customer service. I am so happy with my NR1504 that I am going to buy a NR1506 for my living room
Pros: Great price, great size and Marantz quality
1 of 1 found this helpful
This has all the features I wanted, plus all the others I didn't know I needed. Super easy setup, paired with Klipsch RP-160M speakers for music and a small theater setup. Thank you Crutchfield team for the recommendation.
0 of 0 found this helpful
I chose this Marantz after purchasing two disappointing receivers . The build quality and performance of this product is readily apparent once it is up and running . I have no problems with the HDMI ports as I did with my last two receivers . Using the Set Up Assistant resulted in a wonderful listening experience . This receiver has many other great features which I look forward to taking advantage of . I'm sure I will be as happy with it as I was with my very first receiver ( Marantz 2215) which I bought in 1972 . I purchased this product from Crutchfield because of their amazing lifetime tech support-Thank you !
Pros: Great build quality and performance .
Cons: Tight spacing for speaker connections .
2 of 2 found this helpful
This receiver is much more simple for me to set up than my last one. I bought it for this reason. The features are excellent overall and the blue ray player and 4 k tv is a perfect match. 5-1 is all I will ever need. My Kloss designed speakers all work well with this set up. The power to my center channel,towers and ambiance speakers is quite adequate with even power given to all channels. It sounds like I got new speakers. My old speakers are keepers with this receiver. This receiver is good for me but it is only for those that like simple well designed space saving equipment for easy set up and use. It is well worth the asking price.
3 of 3 found this helpful
Very happy with this purchase. Purchased this received mainly based on the Marantz name and because I wanted it to fit in a designated space in my built-in shelving system. Set up was very easy and sound is amazing (though it doesn't hurt that I've paired this up with a new set of Klipsch Reference bookshelf speakers for the fronts and Harmon Kardon BQ16's for the rest of the 5.1 set up). Room I'm using this in is long and narrow (25 x 12) with a set of stairs at the far end, but the set up fills the listening area just fine (noting that I like my music and movies loud but not deafening!). Can't speak to appleplay because I don't use it, but I do stream from Sirius/XM and that has worked very well.
Pros: Looks nice, sounds great, and slim design fits perfectly in my space.
Cons: A little slow to load internet music.
2 of 2 found this helpful
Just got this, the setup was a breeze and results was awesome.
Pros: All around great.
Cons: Not a thing!
1 of 1 found this helpful
Easy setup and great sound quality. Only drawback is lack of universal remote functionality. The receiver this replaced could control other devices.
2 of 3 found this helpful
So this receiver is amazing. Of course, the Marantz name does not disappoint. It maintains clarity when you crank it (haven't taken it up past 80 yet but haven't needed to) but, more importantly, it maintains clarity and nuance when you're riding low volumes. My one gripe, as mentioned by someone else on this thread and why I deducted a star, is that ApplyPlay simply does not work with this product. I even got a home plug to extend the efficacy of my wifi in my home and place the unit coupled with a wireless adaptor right next to the receiver. Both my phone and computer recognize the receiver but when it comes to communicating enough to actually play music... nothing. Sometimes the receiver stays connected to my wifi and just doesn't play and sometime it goes completely offline. I'm at my whits end and at this point just plug my phone to the from AUX of the receiver, which is a bummer because the huge bulk of my music is on my laptop. The weird thing is that internet radio works fine on the receiver - Pandora, etc. - so it's obviously getting the wifi signal enough to play music but for some reason it won't talk to apple products. Anyway, enough ranting. Hopefully, they'll fix it with firmware soon and in the meantime I'll just concentrate on my vinyl collection which isn't such a bad thing! Any updates or pointers on this are hugely appreciated. Happy listening. John
5 of 6 found this helpful
Haven't fully explored all the options is as of yet. However, that's far it's pretty sweet a few glitches I need to figure out, probably operator error.
0 of 1 found this helpful
You will not be disappointed with this product. For the price I think it is the best option. Great sound quality with tons of options depending on your application. Also setup was a breeze! Just buy it now!
Pros: Great sounds, great price, small package.
Cons: Your friends will be jealous.
1 of 2 found this helpful
The receiver is great! Really cleaned up my entertainment center and a huge upgrade over my old Denon.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Had it for a week connected to Definitive Tech Mythos speakers 2.0 stereo setup, reference listening in my living room. Incredible spaciousness and clarity. I won't regret replacing my 10 year old JVC. Love being able to mute TV to listen to internet or itouch as I monitor sports. outstanding for the bucks.
Pros: Size, features (particularly built in Wi-Fi connectivity & USB for i-touch); finish, nice brushed remote; ease of setup.
Cons: no legacy inputs
5 of 6 found this helpful
Subwoofer out have slow bass as minisystem. Old Harman/Kardon AVR 5500 have faster, powerfull bass in active woofer.
2 of 24 found this helpful
Marantz AVR is well made product , great sound and features.
Pros: Sound, features. Easy to operate and AirPlay .
3 of 6 found this helpful
I have been pleased with my experience with the Marantz NR1506. The set-up assistant was easy to utilize including the "SP Calibration" which identified where I had inadvertently inverted the polarity on one of my front surround speakers. Connecting the speaker wire to the speaker terminals is a bit awkward due to the tight spacing of the terminals. Not sure if I could have used banana plugs, but would have made things easier if an option. The HDMI control function worked as advertised allowing me to use my Sony TV remote to power on both units and control the receiver's volume. The Sound Modes are a nice feature with the Multi Ch Stereo a great option when the audio channel is anything other than 5.1 Surround and allows sound to fill the room without having the volume turned up excessivley. Recommend turning on the Dynamic Volume as the default setting is "off". Having access to the Owner's Manual is a must to really understand everything that is available to you and to fine tune settings once you perform the auto set-up, but if you like having a hard copy, it's a bit of a beast at 250 pages. Bluetooth is the simplest way to play music from your phone as Apple Airplay cuts out too often, which I believe has more to do with my router settings than the receiver itself. If you want to use the receiver to control the input source for all you devices, they have to be HDMI compatible to fully utilized an ARC connection to your TV.
12 of 13 found this helpful
Well thought out controls for a very complex device. Relatively easy to set up. One difficulty was that we used the media player connector foot pit PC, should have used the cable/sat and my tv/monitor didn't display correctly. But Crutchfield was very helpful and we're really happy with the ease of use playing FLAC files and watching DVDs.
Pros: Good controls
Cons: Needs a clearer link to the online manual.
2 of 3 found this helpful
Great receiver as advertised.
Pros: Super simple setup.
Cons: No ability to adjust individual speaker volume.
3 of 6 found this helpful
I bought the Marantz 1506 for the slim line feature primarily and how it fits in my cabinet space. I research the Onkyo slim line receiver and like Marantz's reputation a bit better. I replaced 6 year old Denon AV receiver that drove me crazy on user interface and a horrible remote. The Marantz 1506 was very easy to set up and is very easy to switch between TV, CD player, Apple TV, hi res portable player, blu ray and Bluetooth connection to my iphone. I have also noted better sound quality than the Denon. Other reviews mention the dos looking font in setup menu/instructions and music display...it is very outdated in design and could be improved. Plenty of power for a smaller area.
Pros: Easy set up and remote use is simple. Great Sound.
Cons: Ugly screen character/font display on music-artist/song/album .... Needs an aesthetic redesign
1 of 2 found this helpful
The receiver has good build quality, sound quality and features. The 50 watts per channel is more than enough to push my DefTech 8020's.
Pros: Good sound quality, power, features, and easy to use app remote.
Cons: I'm having issues getting my iPhone to stay connected to the receiver via Bluetooth even after a firmware update.
6 of 6 found this helpful
Really well designed receiver. Excellent sound. The on screen instructions via the Setup Assistant were easy to follow. I am using 4 B & W speakers. I like the all channel stereo with its balanced sound stage vs. the processed the Dolby PLII decoder for play back of 2-channel sources in 5.1-channel surround. I skipped the Audyssey set up and entered the speaker types and distances from listening area manually. I wasn't happy with the results the last time I used Audyssey. The Marantz app is excellent, easy to use. I play Apple Air Play and Sirius XM internet with it. I did have to download a firmware update to get the app to function. The receiver's slim design has an expensive look. The 50 watts per channel is plenty for my book shelf B & W speakers.
Pros: ONLY 5.1 channel receiver with BUILT IN SUPPORT for both Apple AirPlay and SiriusXM. Otherwise you have to get a separate Sirius tuner. Good on screen Setup Assistant Easy. The Marantz app works well. Slim design. Extensive controls on remote. Very thorough, detailed manual on Marantz web site. With discrete (not integrated) circuit technology, the amp provides identical quality for all channels.
Cons: Had to go back and make some adjustments in the subwoofer set up as default settings did not work. Select "LFE+Main" if you want the bass signals to always be produced from the subwoofer.
11 of 12 found this helpful
I have a small living room with a 5.2 set up and this AVR is perfectly suited for it. Set up was very easy and the sound is great! I especially like the iPhone app that lets you control nearly everything from you iPhone. I used to have to use three remotes with my Denon just to listen to Internet radio. Now, two clicks on my iPhone and I'm listening to jazz!
Pros: Great sound, easy set up, easy control from my iPhone.
Cons: None I've found
4 of 4 found this helpful
After being so floored by the SR-5010 for my main receiver (see my review for details), I decided I wanted the NR-1506 for my bedroom. I don't run surround sound in the bedroom, but I do have a pair of B&W CDM7SE speakers in there that I love. I run my Tivo Mini HDMI into the receiver, then out to the TV. Other devices may come later, and I have so many input options! This NR-1506 has not only excellent sound for the price point, but I also use the built-in Bluetooth to stream music while falling asleep each night. The 2015 receivers have an optional auto-off setting, so after the music stops playing and I'm asleep, the receiver turns itself off--in my case 30 minutes after the music stops. Bluetooth audio on this is stable without cutouts, and what's really nice is the Marantz remote has a play/pause, skip back and skip forward buttons. I can stop the bluetooth music from my tablet by hitting a remote button, jump to the next song, or replay the last song. Enable M-DAX if you need it, and it can improve the quality of MP3 audio in certain setups. Another benefit of this model over the previous 1504 is this has the Smart Select buttons, which I've always liked from the Denon world since each of those preserves all your settings, including volume, all audio & surround settings, input, etc. I plush one for TiVo, another to switch to Bluetooth at a lower predefined volume setting. One minor flaw--the setup GUI uses a cheesey font. C'mon guys!
Pros: Front display, audio quality, chassis size, full size rear audio connectors, lots of input options and features for something so small and priced at this level. Smart Select is a brilliant addition to this product, as well as Bluetooth and WiFi (2.4GHz only). Would be excellent for a first surround receiver with far better than this price in value. Very adaptable and configurable product line, from cheapest to the high end stuff.
Cons: On-screen display font.
10 of 12 found this helpful
I'm very pleased with this receiver. I've paired it with a Sony 850x65 set along with a bluray player. Sound quality is 2nd to none. Set up is a snap.
Pros: Sound quality Ease of set up Looks great Works with 4k
3 of 4 found this helpful
This receiver has a great sound for a lower end model. This model has less features than other brands at this price point, but if you don't need more than 5.1 it will work for you. Don't worry about the low wattage. I am running 2 Polk towers, Polk large center channel and bipole/dipole surrounds and it has no problem with getting plenty of sound for my medium sized room with vaulted ceiling. Not real impressed with the Pandora performance. It sounds a little tinny compared to the Onkyo and Yamaha (I have played both in the same room). Now to the issue that is fairly easy to fix, but took a little research. If you have an older HD TV you may have issues with HDMI compatibility. I have an older Sony 52" LCD HD TV and when I played any video through the Marantz I would get intermittent video flashing to black and then coming right back, audio would stay running. I also had the same problem with 2 Onkyos prior to switching to Marantz so it is more a HDMI 2.0 issue than Marantz. After researching the issue I found that I could get a powered HDMI splitter that would do the handshake for the TV and it worked. I got a VHD-1X2MN3D and it fixed the problem. Wish I had known the HDMI2.0 issue, I would not have had to go through returning 2 Onkyos and talking to Onkyo support (which didn't figure out the problem).
Pros: Good sound, sufficient power for standard surround sound, takes up less space
Cons: HDMI 2.0 compatibility with older TVs
6 of 7 found this helpful
Great sound. I am using with Energy Take Classics 5.1 and the sound is amazing. Slim profile of the receiver is a god send. It fits perfectly in the TV cabinet I already have and my wife couldn't be happier. ;)
Pros: Great sound. I am using with Energy Take Classics 5.1 and the sound is amazing. Slim profile of the receiver is a god send. It fits perfectly in the TV cabinet I already have and my wife couldn't be happier. ;)
Cons: None so far.
3 of 3 found this helpful
This is my first receiver so I cannot say much about the technical aspect of things. What drove me to buy this receiver however was the fact that it had apple play. This meant I could play music off my macbook and iphone to speakers. That would save me the hassle of connecting via cables or lose audio quality over bluetooth. This also drove me to go with this over the older generations....new bells and whistles that work i would say is worth the extra $$$ The unit arrived, I set it up. It plays well. the interface is archaic but then again it is a receiver. I try to play with airplay and NOTHING.... the music is play is patchy with music going in and out. My device, router and thereceiver are in a 4 feet radius and it cannot handle it. I have spent the last 2 days switching to bluetooth...Same story, music is played in patches and goes in and out. I have tried moving the lil antennas I have tried realigning the devices but nothing changes. I think this is a badly tested feature and does not work. It has left me furious and frustrated with the receiver. Might call Crutchfield in a bit to talk returns. And even if that happens it is a waste of time and resources for the both of us. PS: In the few calls I made Crutchfield they are fantastic. The most patient group of tech support.And they know what they are doing... Loved dealing with them
Pros: Sleeker than most receivers out there
Cons: Air Play and bluetooth audio is a massive letdown. Does not work
7 of 33 found this helpful
Complaints about the GUI fro the system may be relevant but you will probably only use the GUI for the initial setup. In addition to the GUI, Marantz offers a Apple and Android app but I think the Web interface is superior to all of those. In the online manual look for Web Control (currently page 121). This interface is nicely thought out and offers full functionality of the system from your smart phone, tablet, laptop or desktop. The controls on the Marantz NR1506 are simple, direct and efficient. There are very few extra bells and whistles and for those of you who need a second zone, there is not one. Interestingly, the volume control on the NR1506 is very stiff to move but once it begins to move it is fine. The 50 watts per channel are clean. At full volume with no programs playing, the system is very quiet. I am using it as a 2.0 system currently running Kef LS50 Reference speakers. The power is more than enough to rock the 20' x 30' room with clean high quality sound. The NR1506 offers 6 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI out. It will pass through 4k television signals. The wifi setup was very easy and I have connected several phones/tables via bluetooth. The online music includes Pandora, Spotify, Media Player, Internet Radio and SiriusXM. The front panel allows you to connect devices via HDMI and USB. The USB player will play: WMA, MP3, WAV, MPEG-4, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, DSD, JPEG. Home theater options are great as well. (not enough room for more comments)
Pros: Great fidelity, easy setup and lots of connectivity.
Cons: None, it is just what I was looking for.
10 of 10 found this helpful
Full-featured receiver, future proofed with UHD HDR support
Pros: -UHD HDR support - internet radio -wifi - dual sub support - pre outs - firmware updates - slim profile - simple setup
Cons: - 50 watts per channel
2 of 4 found this helpful
For the most part, I'm under utilizing this unit. I had a simple 2.1 ch setup, and wanted to modernize with something that had HDMI inputs. I'm still only using 2 channels, but this unit has met every expectation. The integrated SiriusXM internet radio app was a pleasant surprise. While the graphics on the user interface remind me of the early 90s 8-bit video game consoles, they get the job done :) Once you're all set up, you'll probably not use the GUI much anyway. It's not a big deal for me, as I went with the Marantz name for the audio circuitry anyway. The 50W rating in the 2ch stereo configuration seems to play as loud as I will ever want. I'm using 6ohm speakers; the unit has setup options for impedances down to 4ohm.
Pros: Felt pretty heavy during unpacking, really gives off a quality feel. Integrated Internet radio w/ SiriusXM and Pandora is a nice feature. The firmware updated automatically when connected to the Internet.
Cons: The not-very-polished GUI could be a hangup for some, especially those that have been using a Roku or other modern Internet TV device.
11 of 11 found this helpful
More details on the Marantz NR1506
Features & specs
5-Channel Discrete Amplifier: The Marantz NR1506 is equipped with a power amplifier that reproduces high-fidelity sound in surround mode with equal quality and power for all channels, true to the original sound. The power amplifier circuit adopts a discrete-circuit configuration that achieves high-quality surround sound reproduction. The five channel amplifier is rated at 50 watts with 2 channels driven (20-20kHz, 8-ohms, 0.08% THD).
Isolated Audio Circuit Boards + High Current Power Supply: The carefully-optimized audio signal path rests on a separate circuit board for maximum performance as well as isolation from interferences generated by high speed video processing. The Marantz NR1506 AV surround receiver also employs a high current linear power supply with an EI core power transformer for high-quality sound playback.
24-bit/192-kHz DACs: The Marantz NR1506 utilizes a 192 kHz/24 bit D/A converter on each of the unit's five channels for exceptional sound quality. The 192kHz sampling and 24-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Marantz NR1506 is equipped with a high-resolution Analog Devices (ADSP21487) 32-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP). All elements of the Surround Processor are optimized to the highest standards by the use of selected high performance and discrete components, particularly the A/D and D/A converters and the sophisticated DSP surround decoder. The NR1506 is equipped with various surround modes to reproduce a variety of surround sound effects, according to the content of the source to be played. The receiver features Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD decoding; as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic II (x/z) audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II
Note: Even though the AV receiver will decode 7.1channel surround sound (via HDMI), it will only output 5.1ch surround, because it lacks Surround Back channel speaker outputs.
Audyssey Technology: The NR1506 features a full package of Audyssey audio technologies for optimal sound quality. Audyssey Dynamic Volume offers real-time volume adjustment, while Audyssey Dynamic EQ improves your system's surround effects during low volume levels. Audyssey MultEQ automatically sets speakers to suit your room's listening environment and the speakers' characteristics.
- Audyssey MultEQ: Audyssey MultEQ technology helps create an
optimal acoustic profile for your home theater. Using the included setup
microphone, Audyssey MultEQ measures sound levels and adjusts speaker
configuration accordingly, making setup fast and easy. This room acoustic
measuring and correction system analyzes (via the included microphone) the audio
characteristics of your speaker system and your listening environment at up to 6
measurement points and automatically tailors the sound for top audio fidelity.
You can set the Audyssey MultEQ to one of the following modes.
- Audyssey: Optimizes the crossover point, output level, delay time, and equalization of all speakers based on speaker frequency response, speaker location, and room acoustics.
- Audyssey Bypass L/R: Optimizes all speakers except front left and right.
- Audyssey Flat: Optimizes frequency response of all speakers to flat.
- Manual: Adjusts the tonal quality for each speaker individually using the manual equalizer settings; adjust from -20 to +6 dB at 63 Hz, 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1 kHz, 2 kHz, 4 kHz, 8 kHz, and 16 kHz.
- Off: Turns equalizer off.
- Dynamic EQ: Audio engineers mix music and movie soundtracks at reference levels much louder than typical home listening levels. At lower volumes the human ear perceives sound differently; voices change, bass dissipates, and the surround effect becomes less enveloping. Dynamic EQ adjusts the frequency response curve based on volume to maintain consistent bass output, octave-to-octave balance, and surround impact, resulting in rich sound at any volume. You can set the Dynamic EQ to 0, 5, 10, or 15 dB.
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume solves the problem of large variations in volume level between television programs, commercials, and between the soft and loud passages of movies. Dynamic Volume addresses the issue of commercials that are too loud and movie soundtracks with vast differences between soft and loud passages; the results are more intelligible dialogue, loud passages maintain impact, and soft whispers are heard clearly. When the volume level changes, Dynamic EQ also adjusts the frequency response to maintain sound quality. You can set the Dynamic Volume to Day (low), Evening (middle), Midnight (high), or off.
Direct Listening Modes: The Marantz NR1506 offers two Direct sound modes which offer high-quality sound by bypassing the receiver's DSP & video circuitry. Source Direct Mode provides playback of 2ch or Multichannel audio in its original form, without any surround or tone processing. Pure Direct Mode goes a step further by turning off the receiver's display and analog video circuitry to minimize the possibility of any noised being added to the audio signal.
Stereo Modes: The Marantz NR1506 surround receiver also provides two-channel stereo and multi-channel stereo playback, as well a virtual surround from two stereo speakers. The 2CH Stereo mode is for playing in two channel stereo; bass and treble can be adjusted and sound is output from the front left and right speakers, along with a connected subwoofer. Multi-Channel Stereo mode lets you enjoy stereo sound from all speakers. Virtual Speaker mode lets you enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music Settings: While listening in the Dolby Pro Logic II Music format, there are three further enhancements you can adjust - Panorama (broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect, especially effective when there is limited output from the surround channels), Dimension (allows you to move the sound field forward or backward), and Center Width (allows you to adjust the width of the center channel).
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 5 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
Audio Enhancements: The Marantz NR1506 receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- CINEMA EQ (Cinema Equalizer): The Cinema EQ function gently decreases the level of the extreme high frequencies, compensating for overly-bright sounding motion picture soundtracks. Select this function if the sound from the front speakers is too bright. This function only works in the Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic (including PL II, PL IIx, PL IIz), and DTS Neo:6 modes.
- M-DAX: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The M-DAX function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
Level Adjustments: The NR1506 provides the following level adjustments.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
- Dialogue Level: You can adjust the output level (+/-12dB) to clarify the dialogue output from the center channel.
- Subwoofer Level: You can set the receiver's subwoofer output level (+/-12dB) independent from the other speaker levels and system's main volume.
Volume Settings: The NR1506 offers the following volume settings.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB).
- Volume Limit: You can set a maximum volume level of 0dB (80), -10dB (70), or -20dB (60) to limit the receiver's total volume output.
- Turn-On Volume: You can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on (0, 1-98, -79 to +18dB, or Last)
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Marantz AV receiver offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Assignable Digital Inputs: The NR1506 features an optical digital (Toslink) input and a coaxial digital input. Each input can be assigned to any of the different input sources except Tuner.
- Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding-post terminals for all speaker connections. The binding-post terminals can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single only). The receiver will accept speaker impedances of 4 to 16-ohm.
- Preamp Outputs: The NR1506 home receiver is fitted with 4 preamp outputs (Front L/R & Dual mono-Sub). The dual sub outputs are non-discrete.
- Headphone Output: The receiver features a 1/4" stereo headphone jack on its front panel for connecting a pair of optional headphones. The unit's speakers will automatically be turned off when a set of headphones are connected.
HDMI 2.0a: With six HDMI 2.0a inputs (5 rear/1 front), the NR1506 allows you to route multiple high-definition devices, such as your Blu-ray player and cable/satellite receiver, to your TV. It also allows you to connect all of your devices to your TV with a single HDMI cable (via its HDMI monitor output), reducing cable clutter. The receiver's HDMI 2.0a jacks are compatible with 4K/60Hz, 1080p/24Hz, & 3D video signals; Deep Color & x.v.Color technology; as well as LipSync, ARC, and HDMI control.
- 4K/60Hz (4:4:4) + HDCP 2.2: The receiver's HDMI inputs and HDMI output support 4K/60Hz Ultra-HD, 4:4:4 Pure Color, and 21:9 video pass-through, a feature of the latest HDMI 2.0a specification for Ultra-HD content. They also support 1080p (24 or 60Hz) for playback of high-definition content from Blu-ray, satellite/cable, and gaming devices. All of the receiver's HDMI jacks are compatible with the HDCP2.2 copyright protection standard for 4K service providers.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of receiver's HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The NR1506 also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- Auto LipSync: This feature automatically compensates for the timing shift between the audio and video of the receiver. If needed, the audio signal can be manually delayed to match the video signal; adjust from 0-200ms.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When the AV receiver is in "Standby" mode and the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled, both audio/video streams from the receivers HDMI input will be output to your television, via the AV receiver's HDMI monitor output. Once the receiver is turned "On", only video will pass through the monitor output to your TV and the audio is directed to the receiver's speaker outputs.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
Composite Video: The receiver features three composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output. There are no component video inputs.
Video Select Function: You can switch the video input source on the receiver while listening to a different audio signal via USB, Tuner, Bluetooth, or Network.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Marantz NR1506 receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network. The unit also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n; 2.4GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Either network connection gives the receiver access to your DLNA music server and various online music services. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (5.0+).
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
Online Services: The Marantz NR1506 lets you access Internet Radio, as well as other online music and photo services from your broadband Internet connection. Currently the NR1506 supports Internet Radio from vTuner, Pandora, Spotify Connect, and SiriusXM; as well as the Flickr online photo sharing site. The Marantz receiver offers on-screen menu display and control over these web services.
|Online Services|| |
|vTuner||The online vTuner service which offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. Internet Radio stations in MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), and AAC (16-320kbps) format are supported. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites. You can store up to 56 Internet Radio stations as presets. The unit will automatically save up to 20 of the most recently played stations.|
|Pandora (requires firmware update)||Once the network audio player is registered with your Pandora account, you can listen to the automated music recommendation and Internet Radio service. You can create up to 100 personalized radio stations. You can sort tracks within these radio stations. You can skip up to 6 tracks that are being played back within 1 hour. You can also thumbs-up/thumbs-down and bookmark tracks. In Pandora, you can search for the track name or artist name using "keyword" searches. When the search is complete, tracks that have a similar rhythm or sound are streamed.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.|
|Spotify Connect||If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify the Marantz AV receiver. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.|
|Flickr||Flickr is an online photograph sharing service that started in 2004. You can use this unit to view photographs on a connected TV that have been made public by Flickr users. You will need to setup an Flickr account to download, upload, and view photographs.|
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The NR1506 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7 compliant for audio and photo networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music and still-images (JPEG) stored on your Windows PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through the A/V receiver and view still-images on your connected TV, or use the NR1506 's remote control to browse music & photo files on your hard drive. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed the unit's front-panel display or on-screen menu. In addition the unit will display Album Art on a connected television. The Marantz NR1506 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.flac|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
Favorites: You can add up to 100 items as "Favorites" from Internet Radio, online music services, and your media server for easier, quicker access.
AM/FM Tuner: The Marantz AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with 56 station auto-preset memory tuning. You can also set your presets manually. You can create an 8-character name for each preset station. You can even directly enter a station number using the receiver's on-screen menu and remote control.
Web Control: You can control this A/V receiver from a web control screen on your Windows PC's web browser. The NR1506 and your PC must be connected to the same home network.
Software Updates: Using the receiver's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. Visit Marantz's Owner's Circle for access to downloads to keep the Marantz receiver up-to-date.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Marantz AV receiver offers wired (via USB) and wireless (via AirPlay) connectivity for your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad. You can even watch video from your Apple device via the receiver's front-panel HDMI input.
- AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the AV receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the AV receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the AV receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the AV receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
- USB Direct: The NR1506 supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the AV receiver, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can search for stored music on your iPod/iPhone/iPad by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Song/artist information and Album Art from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV via HDMI (song/artist text will also display on receiver's front-panel display).
- HDMI Video: You can also view video from stored movies and movie apps from select iPods, iPhone, and iPads by connecting your Apple device to the AV receiver's front-panel USB and HDMI input. Use the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (472LT2HDMI sold separately), the Apple Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your Lightning connector iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the AV receiver. Use the Apple Dock-to-Digital AV Adapter (47230PHDMI, sold separately), the Apple Dock-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (4th gen), iPhone 4/4S, or iPad (1/2/3). Using the HDMI input, video from your iPod/iPhone/iPad can only be navigated from your Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen.
Note: Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 1A). This unit will not charge the iPad.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Marantz NR1506 is "made for iPod/iPhone" and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 6/24/2015).
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||Bluetooth||AirPlay||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front-Panel USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. Compatible USB storage devices must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32. The unit can recognize up to 500 folders/5,000 files. You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Song/artist information will display on your HDMI-connected TV and the receivers front-panel display. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
Compatible Audio Formats Sampling Frequencies Bit rate Extension WMA (Windows Media Audio) 32/44.1/48 kHz 48-192 kbps .wma MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3) 32/44.1/48 kHz 32-320 kbps .mp3 WAV 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz 16/24-bit .wav MPEG-4 AAC 32/44.1/48 kHz 48-320 kbps .aac/.m4a/.mp4 FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz 16/24-bit .flac ALAC 32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz 16/24-bit .m4a AIFF 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz 16/24-bit .aif/.aiff DSD 2.8 MHz 1-bit .dsf/.dff
Note: The receiver's USB port cannot be used with a USB hub or computer.
Slim Design Chassis w/ Contoured Front-Panel: The Marantz NR1506 AV surround receiver features a slim designed chassis, so it easily fits on a shelf or inside a cabinet. The Marantz NR1506 features a contoured front-panel that combines aluminum and glass-reinforced resins for maximum shielding, dimensional stability, and sophisticated styling. The front-panel is clean, precise, and inviting. Volume and input selection knobs flank a rectangular volume/source display.
On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Wizard (via HDMI): The AV receiver's on-screen menu provides quick information about your system's settings. You can easily make settings for your home theater system while viewing menus on the TV screen. Simple settings are enabled with the setting menus displayed on the TV screen. The Marantz NR1506 also features an on-screen Setup Wizard that provides easy-to-follow setup instructions. When you control the sound volume, the volume level is displayed on the screen, and when you switch the input source, the name of the input source is displayed. These menu displays can only be output to your TV via HDMI. If you connect the receiver to your television via only composite video, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display for menu and source adjustments.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Smart Select: On the NR1506's front-panel, you'll find four Smart Select buttons that let you quickly choose from the most popular input sources; the ergonomically designed remote also includes Smart Select function buttons. With Smart Select, the NR1506 remembers not only your preferred inputs but also your preferred audio settings, so you can enjoy precisely tailored sound with each one
Source Rename + Panel Lock: You can change the display name (up to 8 characters) of a selected input source. If an input isn't being used, you can delete it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources. To prevent accidental operation of this unit, you can disable operation of the buttons on the front-panel.
Timers: The Marantz AV receiver features a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Standby function.
- Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments.
- Auto Standby: The unit enters standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (15/30/60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
Dual Backup Memory Function: This receiver stores its settings in a nonvolatile memory even when the main power supply is turned off. Using the Dual Backup Memory function, you can write settings information to another memory area to back up saved settings for recovery anytime as needed.
- Personal Memory Plus: This function sets the settings (input mode, surround mode, HDMI output mode, MultEQ, Dynamic EQ, audio delay, etc.) last selected for the individual input sources.
- Last Function Memory: This function stores the settings which were made before going into the standby mode. When the power is turned back on, the settings are restored.
ECO Mode: This receiver is equipped with an ECO Mode function that allows you to enjoy music and movies while reducing the power consumption during use, Eco Mode adjusts the maximum power available according to the volume level selected to reduce power consumption.
Protection Circuit: This is a function to prevent damage to components within the power supply when an abnormality such as an overload, excess voltage, or over-heating occurs. In this unit, the power indicator blinks and the unit enters standby mode when an abnormality occurs.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Marantz NR1506 features built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1+EDR) with support for profiles A2DP 1.2 and AVRCP 1.4. You'll be able to wirelessly stream music from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computer/laptop, and more to the Marantz receiver. Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be remembered by the NR1506, so family members as well as friends can enjoy their favorite tracks.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the Marantz receiver offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Control & Song/Artist Display: You will be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the receiver's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device. Song/Artist information is displayed on your HDMI-connected TV and the receiver's front-panel LCD.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Marantz AV receiver.
Marantz Remote App: The Marantz Remote App lets you control the Marantz Network A/V receiver using your Apple iOS or Android device. Simply download the free Marantz Remote App from the Apple App Store onto your Apple iOS device (iOS 4.3+), or download the free Marantz Remote App from the Google Play Store onto your compatible Android device (1.5+). The AV receiver will need to be connected to the same network as your Apple iOS or Android device. This free Remote App lets you control the Marantz A/V receiver's basic functions (power, volume, input, surround modes) from your Apple iOS or Android device for all zones of the receiver. You can even navigate the A/V receiver's network and Internet content from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. For added convenience, there are eight customizable home screen short cut buttons that allow you to tailor the look and function of the Marantz Remote App to suit your needs.
IR Remote w/ HDMI-CEC The Marantz NR1506 comes with an IR remote for wireless operation of the AV receiver. The included remote can also be used to control select external audio/video components connected via HDMI which support HDMI control. When you make an HDMI connection with a TV or player compatible with the NR1506's HDMI control function, you can perform the operations from the NR1506's remote control; Power off, Switching of audio output devices, Switching of audio input devices, Volume adjustment, and Playback functions.
Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the NR1506 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
6 questions already asked