About the Marantz NR1604
A slim receiver packed with features
A slim receiver packed with features
The Marantz NR1604 is sized just right to fit comfortably on just about any bookshelf or TV stand. This full-featured model measures only half the height of many surround sound receivers, yet it boasts all the clean power you need to drive seven speakers, and enough inputs to connect a full complement of A/V sources. Plus, the '1604 sports built-in Apple AirPlay® and a host of online entertainment options.
Convenient iTunes® playback with AirPlay®
Apple's easy-to-use AirPlay technology lets you access your favorite music from your iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch®, or from your iTunes library on your computer. You'll be able to control playback and see music information — including album art, track titles, and artist info — on your compatible Apple device, or on your TV. AirPlay requires a wireless home network and a wired connection between the receiver and network.
Of course, you can also connect your iPod easily to the front-panel USB port to make a direct digital connection. Marantz's carefully designed audio circuitry will reproduce your music with clear, detailed sound.
Never-ending music choices via the Internet
Your listening options aren't limited to the songs in your music library, either. The NR1604 lets you choose from thousands of free Internet radio stations or explore online subscription services like SiriusXM, Pandora®, and Spotify®. This receiver even streams photos from your PC or online from Flickr, so you can view your favorite photos on your HDTV's large screen.
Use your smart device as a remote
Download a free app, and your iOS® or Android™ device becomes a convenient Wi-Fi® remote. You'll enjoy the intuitive, easy-to-read interface — plus that's one remote you're not likely to lose in the sofa cushions. Requires connection to a wireless home network.
The Marantz NR1604 has built-in Apple AirPlay for convenient access to your iTunes library (iPad not included).
Simplified connections for your components — old and new
Today's high-definition home theater sources, like Blu-ray players, video game consoles, and set-top boxes, all go well with the NR1604. It offers inputs and switching for up to seven HDMI sources. And there are five analog video inputs for older A/V sources, too. The receiver's video processor upconverts older standard-def sources to near-high-def quality, so you'll get a better picture. Plus, the '1604 is ready for next-generation Ultra High Definition "4K" displays, and features 4K upconversion from HD sources. You can connect all of your video sources, old and new, to your TV using a single HDMI cable, for easy hookup.
Marantz takes the extra step of carefully isolating this unit's internal audio and video circuit boards. This ensures ultra-high signal purity for rich, enveloping surround sound with all your movies, music, TV shows, and video games. And cutting edge decoding delivers the master-quality sound that comes with most of today's Blu-ray discs.
Quick and easy setup and control
The Marantz NR1604 has an on-board setup assistant to help you make all the right connections for your system. The supplied setup microphone allows this receiver to analyze sound from different listening positions, while you sit back as the receiver automatically adjusts level, equalization, and delay settings for each of your speakers. The result is accurate response across a wide listening area instead of just a single "sweet spot," so everyone in the room can enjoy precisely balanced home theater sound.Learn about the ins and outs of HDMI connections at the Crutchfield Learning Center.
Shop our selection of HDMI cables.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Audyssey Laboratories' MultEQ® six-point auto setup and room calibration system (microphone included)
- M-DAX (Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander) for better sound from MP3s and other digital music files
Digital Music Options:
- built-in Apple AirPlay® for ultra-convenient iTunes® music playback
- AirPlay streaming requires a home Wi-Fi® network and a wired connection between your receiver and home network
- direct digital connection for your iPod®/iPhone® via the front-panel USB port bypasses your player's digital-to-analog converter for better sound
- Ethernet port for music and JPEG streaming from a wired PC network
- DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) certified to ensure optimal compatibility with other network-enabled equipment
- access Internet radio stations and digital streaming services (broadband connection required)
- optional streaming services include SiriusXM, Internet radio, Pandora® and Spotify® (registration and subscription may be required)
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- wireless Bluetooth® capability with optional Marantz Bluetooth receiver
- dual-room/dual-source output
- powered stereo audio output for 2nd room
- using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.1 home theater in main room
- line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room (additional amplifier or powered speakers required)
- optical/coaxial digital and HDMI audio sources are not output to Zone 2
- USB and network-connected sources cannot be played back in different zones at the same time
Audio Performance Features:
- 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- direct mode switches off unnecessary circuitry to provide cleaner sound
- detachable power cord
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (7 in, 1 out)
- HDMI version 1.4 with support for 4K, 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- component video switching (2 in, 1 out)
- composite video switching (3 in, 1 out)
- analog-to-HDMI video conversion to 1080p
- HDMI-to-HDMI video conversion to 4K Ultra HD
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 1 coaxial
- 1 audio-only input
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- 1 pair of main speaker outputs
- preamp output for a powered subwoofer
- on-screen display for easier system setup and operation (via HDMI only)
- first-time setup assistant
- Video Select lets you listen to music (network, USB, or tuner) while watching video from a different source
- free Marantz remote app lets you use your iPod touch®, iPhone® iPad® or Android device as a Wi-Fi® remote
- sleep timer
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- 56 AM/FM presets
- remote control included
- 17-5/16"W x 4-1/8"H x 15-5/8"D
- weight: 18.5 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # NR-1604
What's in the box:
- 7.1ch AV receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC021SR)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Audyssey Setup Mic (ACM1HB)
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM (En/Fr/Sp)
- Getting Started guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- USA Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
- Safety Instructions
- Sheet of adhesive labels
Marantz NR1604 reviews
I would like to give this unit 5 stars, but there are at least three things wrong with it.
Pros: Internet radio works well. The iOS app is great, and even the built in web server is good to use (although the GUI is a little primitive). Most features work well (but see Airplay below).
Cons: 1. Airplay does not work very well. In fact I think I have only gotten it to work once. However, I have an AppleTV attached where I can use Airplay so this is not a big deal (for me). 2. On a couple of occasions, the video output has gone completely black. This may have something to do with the attached TiVo that I use (and MGCP). I've had to unplug the unit (hard reboot) to fix this. 3. The speaker binding posts are very close together, which makes it hard to attach a lot of speakers
0 of 0 found this helpful
Marantz is known for the quality, especially sound clarity for those music nazi like me. This model fitted my budget, the cubbie of my medial console, and mostly my requirements. It has a lot of hdmi inputs, I've connected a TV, 2 gaming consoles, 1 blu ray player, 1 cd player, yet I have more plugs. I like the user friendly interface, very immediate to understand. It includes a microphone for the initial sound testing that takes about 15 minutes. After that if you are not satisfied or you are as picky as me you can easily tweak each speaker. Everything is very intuitive, yet there are many options. I love that you can download an app and use your phone or tablet as a remote controller. If I have friend over and they want to play their music they can plug their phone in to the front panel and play from there.
Pros: Slim, fits into small cubbies, pricewise it is a very good investment, with 650& it makes you feel like you have a 1000% piece of equipment. Easy to set up.
Cons: It is not wifi, you need to run an ethernet cable to have it in the network.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Splendidly pleased with set up and performance. A little worrisome with only 50W and 7.1, but does the job - I'm bi-amping Infiniti Crescendo floor speakers, instead of using a subwoofer, and still cleanly pushing a small pair of Yamaha surround speakers. Small cabinet size and no fan, but doesn't seem to run particularly hot even at 40-50% output for >30min. and 30-40% output for several hours. A few exposed screws on the bottom/ underneath - could be a handling hazard. Did not note any flex to back panel, even with new 'stiff' plugs. Still haven't tried nearly everything!
Pros: Compact size. Great clarity/performance. Set up is a breeze.
Cons: Only 50W - will need to take care for A/V entertainment with 7.1. Had to set up bi-amping manually, though could use auto setup for EQ. Exposed screws underneath - could cut oneself while handling unit.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Purchased the NR 1604 because I was limited on space but was worried it wasn't powerful enough but this receiver easily pushes my Bose surround system and my outside speakers at the same time!
Cons: None yet
3 of 4 found this helpful
Perfect receiver for a home theater & audio system. The single cable HDMI connection for most video devices is easy, and it has two additional digital inputs (I use them for a CD changer and a Sonos media player). The low profile allows it to fit in smaller rack spaces that won't accommodate a full-sized receiver. The on-screen display and guided setup make it a breeze to use. I replaced an older JVCRX-D702B and have been extremely happy with the performance. And as expected from Marantz, the system sounds terrific!
Pros: Great feature set, full inputs/outputs, easy setup, small profile for reduced rack space, and excellent sound.
Cons: A little more expensive than full-sized receivers with comparable features, and relatively lower power (50W per channel, although to be fair it sounds at least as good as the 100W receiver I replaced).
4 of 4 found this helpful
Speakers: Front: Polk Audio TSi100 Center: Polk Audio TSi CS10 Surround: Polk Audio BlackstoneT TL2 Last two receivers we looked at were the Marantz NR1604 and the Yamaha RX-A730. We chatted with CJ our a product specialist about these units. I was concerned the Marantz was only 50 watts. CJ said the Marantz's 50 watts would be enough to drive our speakers. Said both units would be fine. The difference between them would be the sound. Having tried the Denon AVR-1913, we had an idea of what to expect from the Marantz. Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company, D&M Holdings. We were pleasantly surprised by the sound of the Marantz NR1604. The Marantz sounded much better than the Denon; richer and not harsh. However, we had the same problem with the Marantz as with the Denon, i.e, dialog was quiet. Needed to make adjustments to make the dialog louder. Not so with the Yamaha RX-A730. After the adjustment, the dialog level was better but not perfect. One negative point about the Marantz is the back panel. The back panel flexes alot when inserting speaker plugs. Need to hold onto the receiver speaker connectors. Build should be better for the price. Overall a good unit. Good sound. In the end we preferred the Yamaha RX-A730.
Pros: Nice unit. 50 watts more than powerful enough to drive speakers.
Cons: Back panel flexes when inserting speaker plugs. Dialog level lacking, needs adjustment.
31 of 31 found this helpful
More details on the Marantz NR1604
Features & specs
7-Channel Discrete Amplifier: The Marantz NR1604 is equipped with a power amplifier that reproduces high-fidelity sound in surround mode with equal quality and power for all channels, true to the original sound. The power amplifier circuit adopts a discrete-circuit configuration that achieves high-quality surround sound reproduction. The 7 channel amplifier is rated at 50 watts with 2 channels driven (20-20kHz, 8-ohms, 0.08% THD).
Amplifier Assignment: The NR1604's seven discrete amplifier channels can be configured to accommodate your type of home theater setup.
- Surround Back: The AV receiver's amplifier channels can be configured as Front, Center, Surround , and Surround Back for Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and Dolby Pro Logic IIx 7.1ch playback (no second zone).
- Zone2: The NR1604's amplifier channels can be configured as Front, Center, Surround, and Zone 2 for Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II 5.1ch playback in the main zone and 2ch PCM playback in the second zone.
- Bi-Amp: The AV receiver's amplifier channels can be configured as Front Bi-Amp, Center, and Surround for Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II 5.1ch playback in the main zone (no second zone). Bi-amping the front speakers achieves higher-quality sound.
- Front B: The AV receiver's amplifier channels can be configured as Front, Center, Surround, and Front B for 5.1ch playback in the main zone and 2ch playback in a second room (not Zone 2).
- Front Height: The receiver's amplifier channels can also be configured as Front, Front Height, Center, and Surround for Dolby Pro Logic IIz 7.1ch playback (no second zone).
Isolated Audio Circuit Boards + High Current Power Supply: The carefully-optimized audio signal path rests on a separate circuit board for maximum performance as well as isolation from interferences generated by high speed video processing. The Marantz NR1604 AV surround receiver also employs a high current linear power supply with an EI core power transformer for high-quality sound playback.
24-bit/192-kHz DACs: The Marantz NR1604 utilizes a 192 kHz/24 bit D/A converter on each of the unit's seven channels for exceptional sound quality. The 192kHz sampling and 24-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Marantz NR1604 is equipped with a high-resolution Analog Devices (ADSP21487) 32-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP). All elements of the Surround Processor are optimized to the highest standards by the use of selected high performance and discrete components, particularly the A/D and D/A converters and the sophisticated DSP surround decoder. The NR1604 is equipped with various surround modes to reproduce a variety of surround sound effects, according to the content of the source to be played. The receiver features Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD decoding; as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic II (x/z) audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby, Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic IIz
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the A/V receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Audyssey Technology: The NR1604 features a full package of Audyssey audio technologies for optimal sound quality. Audyssey Dynamic Volume offers real-time volume adjustment, while Audyssey DynamicEQ improves your system's surround effects during low volume levels. Audyssey MultEQ automatically sets speakers to suit your room's listening environment and the speakers' characteristics.
- Audyssey MultEQ: Audyssey MultEQ technology helps create an
optimal acoustic profile for your home theater. Using the included setup
microphone, Audyssey MultEQ measures sound levels and adjusts speaker
configuration accordingly, making setup fast and easy. This room acoustic
measuring and correction system analyzes (via the included microphone) the audio
characteristics of your speaker system and your listening environment at up to 6
measurement points and automatically tailors the sound for top audio fidelity.
You can set the Audyssey MultEQ to one of the following modes.
- Audyssey: Optimizes the crossover point, output level, delay time, and equalization of all speakers based on speaker frequency response, speaker location, and room acoustics.
- Audyssey Bypass L/R: Optimizes all speakers except front left and right.
- Audyssey Flat: Optimizes frequency response of all speakers to flat.
- Manual: Adjusts the tonal quality for each speaker individually using the manual equalizer settings; adjust from -20 to +6 dB at 63 Hz, 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1 kHz, 2 kHz, 4 kHz, 8 kHz, and 16 kHz.
- Off: Turns equalizer off.
- Dynamic EQ: Audio engineers mix music and movie soundtracks at reference levels much louder than typical home listening levels. At lower volumes the human ear perceives sound differently; voices change, bass dissipates, and the surround effect becomes less enveloping. Dynamic EQ adjusts the frequency response curve based on volume to maintain consistent bass output, octave-to-octave balance, and surround impact, resulting in rich sound at any volume. You can set the Dynamic EQ to 0, 5, 10, or 15 dB.
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume solves the problem of large variations in volume level between television programs, commercials, and between the soft and loud passages of movies. Dynamic Volume addresses the issue of commercials that are too loud and movie soundtracks with vast differences between soft and loud passages; the results are more intelligible dialogue, loud passages maintain impact, and soft whispers are heard clearly. When the volume level changes, Dynamic EQ also adjusts the frequency response to maintain sound quality. You can set the Dynamic Volume to Day (low), Evening (middle), Midnight (high), or off.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music Settings: While listening in
the Dolby Pro Logic II Music format, there are three further enhancements
you can adjust:
- Panorama: Broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect, especially effective when there is limited output from the surround channels, panorama can be turned on/off in the menu.
- Dimension: Allows you to move the sound field forward or backward.
- Center Width: Allows you to adjust the width of the center channel.
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 7 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
- Height Gain: Adjust the volume (Low/Mid/High) of the Front Height channels in Dolby Pro Logic IIz.
Stereo Modes: The Marantz NR1604 surround receiver also provides two-channel stereo and multi-channel stereo playback, as well a virtual surround from two stereo speakers.
- 2CH Stereo: This is the mode for playing in 2-channel stereo; bass and treble can be adjusted and sound is output from the front left and right speakers, along with a connected subwoofer.
- Multi-Channel Stereo: This mode lets you enjoy stereo sound from all speakers.
- Virtual Speaker: Enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones.
Direct Modes: The Marantz NR1604 offers two Direct sound modes which offer high-quality sound by bypassing the receiver's DSP & video circuitry. Source Direct Mode provides playback of 2ch or Multichannel audio in its original form, without any surround or tone processing. Pure Direct Mode goes a step further by turning off the receiver's display and analog video circuitry to minimize the possibility of any noised being added to the audio signal.
Audio Enhancements: The Marantz NR1604 receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- M-DAX: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The M-DAX function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- HT-EQ: The tonal balance of a film soundtrack will be excessively bright and harsh when played back over audio equipment in the home. This is because film soundtracks were designed to be played back in large movie theater environments. Activating the receiver's HT-EQ feature when watching a film made from movie theaters corrects this and restores the correct tonal balance.
- Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
- Tone Control: You can adjust the receiver's Bass and Treble (+/-6db) independently to suit your listening taste or room acoustics.
Level Adjustments: The NR1604 provides the following level adjustments.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
- Dialogue Level: You can adjust the output level (+/-12dB) to clarify the dialogue output from the center channel.
- Subwoofer Level: You can set the receiver's subwoofer output level (+/-12dB) independent from the other speaker levels and system's main volume.
Volume Settings: The NR1604 offers the following volume settings.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB).
- Volume Limit: You can set a maximum volume level of 0dB (80), -10dB (70), or -20dB (60) to limit the receiver's total volume output.
- Turn-On Volume: You can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on (0, 1-98, -79 to +18dB, or Last)
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Marantz AV receiver offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Assignable Digital Inputs: The NR1604 features an optical digital (Toslink) input and a coaxial digital input. Each input can be assigned to any of the different input sources except Tuner.
- Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding-post terminals for all speaker connections. The binding-post terminals can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single only). The receiver will accept speaker impedances of 6 to 16-ohm.
- Preamp Outputs: The NR1604 home receiver is fitted with 5 preamp outputs (Front L/R, Zone 2, Mono-Sub).
- Headphone Output: The receiver features a 1/4" stereo headphone jack on its front panel for connecting a pair of optional headphones. The unit's speakers will automatically be turned off when a set of headphones are connected.
HDMI (v1.4a): With seven HDMI v1.4 inputs (6 rear/1 front), the NR1604 allows you to route multiple high-definition devices, such as your Blu-ray player and cable/satellite receiver, to your TV. It also allows you to connect all of your devices to your TV with a single HDMI cable (via its HDMI monitor output), reducing cable clutter. The HDMI inputs are assignable to different input sources. The receiver's HDMI v.1.4 jacks are compatible with 1080p/24Hz and 4K video, 3D video signals, Deep Color & x.v.Color technology; as well as LipSync, ARC, and HDMI control.
- 3D Pass-Through: With the advent of 3D media, it is important to own a receiver that recognizes 3D video signals. The NR1604 is able to pass through 3D signals from your Blu-ray player, ensuring that the 3D effect doesn't get lost in translation. It also recognizes signals from 3D television broadcasts. By connecting a 3D-compliant Blu-ray disc player and 3D-compliant TV to the NR1604, you will have a 3D home theater where you can enjoy high-definition sound and video on a level you've never experienced before.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The NR1604 also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- Auto LipSync: This feature automatically compensates for the timing shift between the audio and video of the receiver. If needed, the audio signal can be manually delayed to match the video signal; adjust from 0-200ms.
4K Pass-Through + Video Upconversion: The Marantz AV receiver's video processor supports pass-through of 1080p/24Hz and 4K Ultra HD video. This sophisticated video processor also provides upconversion from standard definition (480i/480p) sources and high definition (720p/1080i1080p) sources to 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160 pixels), which lets you connect all your analog (composite/component) or digital (HDMI) video sources to the NR1604 and then connect to your HDTV with just a single HDMI cable.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When enabling the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function, regardless of whether the AV receiver is "On" or in "Standby" both audio/video streams from an HDMI input will be output to your television, via the receiver's HDMI monitor output. You can select between three HDMI through function modes.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input (1-6) for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
Analog Video Inputs: The receiver features 3 composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output. There is also two component video inputs (60MHz) and one component video output.
Picture Mode: The receiver provides Picture Mode to adjust the picture quality for your viewing content and environment. You can select from Standard, Movie, Vivid, Streaming, Custom, or Off. The Custom mode lets you manually adjust Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Hue, Noise Reduction, and Enhancer (sharpness).
Video Select Function: You can switch the video input source on the receiver while listening to a different audio signal.
Network Connection: The Marantz NR1604 is equipped with an Ethernet (RJ-45) port that lets you connect the receiver to your home network (LAN) and your broadband internet provider. When connected to your home network, the NR1604 lets you listen to Internet radio and a host of other online music sources from your broadband internet provider, as well as play audio files & display still images from your computer via its network connection (DLNA 1.5 certified). The NR1604 also supports AirPlay that lets you stream your music library from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or iTunes.
Note: This unit's RJ-45 Ethernet port supports 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX and requires an Ethernet (LAN) category 5 or higher cable, Router, Modem, and Internet connection.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The NR1604 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7 compliant for audio and photo networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music and still-images (JPEG) stored on your Windows PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through the A/V receiver and view still-images on your connected TV, or use the NR1604's remote control to browse music & photo files on your hard drive. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed the unit's front-panel display or on-screen menu. In addition the unit will display Album Art on a connected television. The Marantz NR1604 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/20/24-bit||.flac|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
Online Services: The Marantz NR1604 lets you access Internet Radio, as well as other online music and photo services from your broadband Internet connection. Currently the NR1604 supports Internet Radio from vTuner, Pandora, Spotify, and SiriusXM; as well as the Flickr online photo sharing site (as of 4/18/2013). The Marantz receiver offers on-screen menu display and control over these web services.
|vTuner||The online vTuner service which offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. Internet Radio stations in MP3 (32-320kbps) and WMA (48-192kbps) format are supported. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites. You can store up to 56 Internet Radio stations as presets. The unit will automatically save up to 20 of the most recently played stations.|
|Once the network audio player is registered with your Pandora account, you can listen to the automated music recommendation and Internet Radio service. You can create up to 100 personalized radio stations. You can sort tracks within these radio stations. You can skip up to 6 tracks that are being played back within 1 hour. You can also thumbs-up/thumbs-down and bookmark tracks. In Pandora, you can search for the track name or artist name using "keyword" searches. When the search is complete, tracks that have a similar rhythm or sound are streamed.|
|Spotify||Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists. A Spotify Premium subscription is required.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.|
|Flickr||Flickr is an online photograph sharing service that started in 2004. You can use this unit to view photographs on a connected TV that have been made public by Flickr users. You will need to setup an Flickr account to download, upload, and view photographs.|
Favorites: You can add up to 100 items as "Favorites" from Internet Radio, online music services, and your media server for easier, quicker access.
AM/FM Tuner: The Marantz AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with 56 station auto-preset memory tuning. You can also set your presets manually. You can create an 8-character name for each preset station. You can even directly enter a station number using the receiver's on-screen menu and remote control.
Web Control: You can control this A/V receiver from a web control screen on your Windows PC's web browser. The NR1604 and your PC must be connected to the same home network.
Software Updates: Using the receiver's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. Visit Marantz's Owner's Circle for access to downloads to keep the Marantz receiver up-to-date. The tested Marantz NR1604 contained firmware version 7300-7784.1432. (as of 4/18/2013).
AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad, or from your iTunes library on your PC or Mac to the Marantz NR1604, over your home network connection. By downloading Apple's free "Remote" application onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You will even see the iTunes music information, including your track titles and artist info via the Marantz receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
Note: To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 4.3 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Marantz AV receiver is fitted with a front-panel USB (type-A) port and HDMI port for playback of audio and video files from select iPod, iPhone, or iPad devices.
- Audio Playback: The NR1604 supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the AV receiver, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can search for stored music on your iPod/iPhone/iPad by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Song/artist information and Album Art from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV via HDMI (song/artist text will also display on receiver's front-panel display).
- Video Playback: You can also view video from stored movies and movie apps from select iPods, iPhone, and iPads by connecting your Apple device to the AV receiver's front-panel USB and HDMI input. Use the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (472LT2HDMI sold separately), the Apple Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), iPhone 5, iPad 4, or iPad mini to the AV receiver. Use the Apple Dock-to-Digital AV Adapter (47230PHDMI, sold separately), the Apple Dock-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (4th gen), iPhone 4/4S, or iPad (1/2/3). Video from your iPod/iPhone/iPad can only be navigated from your Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen (select Simple mode on receiver).
Note: Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 1A). This unit will not charge the iPad.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The NR1604 is "made for iPod/iPhone compatible" and supports the following iPod/iPhone models and functions (as of 9/24/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||AirPlay||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
USB Port: A USB memory device can be connected to the USB (type-A) port located on the front-panel, allowing you to play various music files and JPEG still-image files through the receiver. The USB memory device must be mass storage class (msc) or media transfer protocol (mtp) compliant, and be formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 (up to 2TB). The unit can recognize up to 500 folders and 5,000 files. In addition to music and still-image playback, the A/V receiver supports basic playback control, song/artist information display, and charging of your connected USB mass storage class device. The Marantz NR1604 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its USB (type-A) connection.
|Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/20/24-bit||.flac|
Note: USB memory device will not work via a Hub. It is not possible to connect and use a computer via the unit's USB port using a USB cable.
Slim Design Chassis w/ Contoured Front-Panel: The Marantz NR1604 A/V Surround Receiver features a slim designed chassis which measures only 17.3125" wide x 4.125" tall x 15.5625" deep so it easily fits on a shelf or inside a cabinet. The Marantz NR1604 features a contoured front-panel that combines aluminum and glass-reinforced resins for maximum shielding, dimensional stability, and sophisticated styling. The front-panel is clean, precise, and inviting. Volume and input selection knobs flank a rectangular volume/source display.
On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Wizard (via HDMI): The AV receiver's on-screen menu provides quick information about your system's settings. You can easily make settings for your home theater system while viewing menus on the TV screen. Simple settings are enabled with the setting menus displayed on the TV screen. The Marantz NR1604 also features an on-screen Setup Wizard that provides easy-to-follow setup instructions. When you control the sound volume, the volume level is displayed on the screen, and when you switch the input source, the name of the input source is displayed. These menu displays can only be output to your TV via HDMI. If you connect the receiver to your television via only composite video, you will need to use the A/V receiver's front-panel display for menu and source adjustments.
Multi-Source/Multi-Zone: The Marantz NR1604 offers Zone 2 and All Zone Stereo functionality for playback of audio in two separate rooms of your home.
- Zone 2: Zone 2 allows stereo audio playback of another
source connected to the receiver in another room of your home via left/right
RCA audio or speaker level outputs. The receiver's surround back amplifier
can be reassigned to power a pair of speakers in Zone 2. When using the
NR1604 to power speakers in a second room of your home, the main zone is
restricted to 5.2-channels. When using the receiver's line output terminals
for the second room, you need an additional amplifier to power those
speakers; the main Zone of the receiver remains
7.2-channel. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Marantz receiver
using either configuration or from your add-on amplifier when using the
- Compatible Zone Sources: Only tuner, analog, USB/iPod, and Network/AirPlay sources can be played in Zone 2. You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations or different Network content for different zones.
- Incompatible Zone Sources: It is not possible to play the digital audio signals from the HDMI, Coaxial, or Optical terminals in Zone 2. Video cannot be sent to Zone 2.
- All Zone Stereo Function: The All Zone Stereo function allows you to enjoy the AV receiver's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2 simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types; analog or digital). During the All Zone Stereo, 2ch playback is automatically selected for all zones and each zone will play at the same volume level. This is useful when you want to enjoy the same music at the same time in multiple rooms during a get together or party.
Source Rename/Delete: You can change the display name (up to 8 characters) of a selected input source. If an input isn't being used, you can delete it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Panel Lock: To prevent accidental operation of this unit, you can disable operation of the buttons on the front-panel.
Dual Backup Memory Function: This receiver stores its settings in a nonvolatile memory even when the main power supply is turned off. Using the Dual Backup Memory function, you can write settings information to another memory area to back up saved settings for recovery anytime as needed.
- Personal Memory Plus: This function sets the settings (input mode, surround mode, HDMI output mode, MultEQ, Dynamic EQ, audio delay, etc.) last selected for the individual input sources.
- Last Function Memory: This function stores the settings which were made before going into the standby mode. When the power is turned back on, the settings are restored.
Timers: The receiver features a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Standby function.
- Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments.
- Auto Standby: The unit enters standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (30 or 60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
IR Remote Control: The Marantz NR1604 comes with an IR wireless remote control that can operate this receiver only. The remote control features Glow keys so it can easily be used in the dark.
HDMI Control: The Marantz NR1604 can control select external audio/video components connected via HDMI which support HDMI control. When you make an HDMI connection with a TV or player compatible with the NR1604's HDMI control function, you can perform the operations from the NR1604's remote control; Power off, Switching of audio output devices, Switching of audio input devices, Volume adjustment, and Playback functions.
Remote Connections: The Marantz NR1604 is fitted with the following custom remote inputs/outputs.
- Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the NR1604 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
- Flasher In: This 3.5mm input is used to control the NR1604 from an external key-pad (sold separately).
- DC Trigger Output: The DC trigger output (3.5mm) allows you to connect an external device so it can be turned on by the NR1604.
Marantz Remote App: The Marantz Remote App (from iTunes App Store or Google Play) lets you control the Marantz Network A/V receiver using your Apple iOS (4.3+) or Android (1.5+) device. The AV receiver will need to be connected to the same network as your Apple iOS or Android device. This free Remote App lets you control the Marantz A/V receiver's basic functions (power, volume, input, surround modes) from your mobile device. The multi-zone control page of the Remote App lets you adjust power, volume and input selection for all zones from a single screen (when applicable). You can even navigate the A/V receiver's network and Internet content from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. For added convenience, there are eight customizable home screen short cut buttons that allow you to tailor the look and function of the Marantz Remote App to suit your needs.
Bluetooth Adapter (optional): Through its proprietary M-Xport, the NR1604 offers Bluetooth capability. Simply add the optional RX101 Bluetooth adaptor (642RX101, sold separately) to the NR1604 and you can play the music stored on any Bluetooth-enabled portable device (your iPhone, iPod Touch, or PDA for example) through your home theater system. The optional RX101 doubles as an IR (infrared) receiver so you can place all your components out of sight and still maintain full remote control.
2 questions already asked