About the Marantz SA8005
Yes, you can hear the difference!
Yes, you can hear the difference!
Whoever said time flies when you're having fun must have been listening to a Marantz SA8005. That's because this player sounds so good, you'll forget where the time went as you happily rediscover your digital music collection. It delivers audiophile quality performance with high-resolution Super Audio CDs as well as standard audio CDs. Enjoy smooth, densely layered sound with outstanding stereo separation and spot-on imaging, thanks to Marantz's precision craftsmanship and carefully selected internal components. You'll hear subtle nuances and musical textures on your favorite recordings that you may have never even noticed.
Along with serving up stunning musical detail and clarity with your disc collection, the SA8005 also doubles as a high-quality, stand-alone digital-to-analog converter (DAC) for your other digital music sources, including the tunes stored on or streamed from your iPod®, iPhone®, or PC. It can even play the latest computer-based high-res linear PCM and DSD (direct stream digital) music files.
Top-notch quality inside and out
The SA8005's specially designed disc transport, double-layered bottom plate, and metal front panel resist vibrations that can adversely affect sound. A hefty toroidal power supply delivers plenty of clean current for effortlessly dynamic playback. The high-performance DAC accurately reproduces audio tracks with stunning clarity and detail. The gold-plated outputs help maintain sound quality by ensuring the best signal transfer to your stereo system, and are widely spaced so they won't cramp the connectors on high-quality interconnects.
Versatile connections and better sound for your digital music sources
The SA8005 is also an impressive performer when used a stand-alone digital-to-analog converter. Marantz outfitted it with multiple inputs to play your digital source components through its built-in DAC:
- A coaxial digital input is ideal for connecting a Blu-ray or DVD player, Sonos® Connect, or any other digital audio component with coax out, and taking advantage of the SA8005's high-performance processor for better sound.
- The optical digital input is ready to take on a set-top box, HDTV, game console, Apple TV, or other digital source with optical digital output, and feed a high-quality audio signal into your stereo system.
- A Type B USB jack feeds digital audio from your computer into the SA8005's onboard digital-to-analog converter, bypassing your computer's sound card to yield much clearer sound with stored music files, streaming services like Spotify, and Internet radio.
- A front-panel Type A USB jack accepts direct digital signals from an iPod®, iPhone®, or a USB drive for superior sound through your headphones or home audio system.
- stereo playback for SACDs, CDs, CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 & WMA CDs
- front-panel USB input (type A) for USB flash drive, iPod®, or iPhone®
- rear-panel asynchronous USB input (type B) for audio playback of stored computer or streaming music files, including high-res files up to 24-bit/192 kHz PCM and 2.8 & 5.6 MHz DSD (Windows® and Mac compatible)
- Windows PCs require free driver download from Marantz website prior to computer audio playback
- coaxial and optical digital inputs for using player in digital-to-analog conversion (DAC) mode
- high-performance 192kHz/24-bit Cirrus Logic CS4398 digital-to-analog converter and low-jitter dual system clock
- USB ground/signal isolator technology to virtually eliminate PC noise
- exclusive Marantz disc mechanism resists vibration for improved sound quality
- double-layered bottom plate for vibration resistance
- high-current toroidal transformer with separate rectifier stages for the analog and digital sections to prevent mutual interference
- Marantz HDAM® (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module)-SA2 used in analog circuitry for faster signal transfer and better transient response
- detachable power cable
- remote control
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for CD playback
- gold-plated RCA stereo analog output with selectable fixed or variable output level
- full-size headphone jack with volume control
- remote control input/output (for use with Marantz receivers and amps with a compatible remote control in/out jack)
- SACD specs:
- frequency response: 2Hz - 60kHz
- dynamic range: 106 dB
- CD specs:
- frequency response: 2Hz - 20kHz
- dynamic range: 101 dB
- 17-3/8"W x 4-1/4"H x 14-7/16"D
- weight: 17.6 lbs
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SA8005
What's in the box:
- SACD player
- Remote control (RC002PMSA)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6' AC power cord
- 38" Stereo RCA cable
- 34" Mono-RCA cable
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Getting Started booklet
- Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
Marantz SA8005 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Marantz SA8005
Features & specs
|CD Transport Only||No|
|Direct Track Access||Yes|
|Direct Disc Access||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Stereo SACD Playback||Yes|
|CD Frequency Response||2-20k Hz|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||110 dB|
|SACD Frequency Response||2-60k Hz|
|SACD Dynamic Range||106 dB|
|SACD THD||0.0012 %|
|Analog RCA Output||Yes|
|Analog XLR Output||No|
|Digital Optical Output||Yes|
|Digital Coaxial Output||Yes|
SACD Player: The Marantz SA8005 supports playback of single-layer, dual-layer, and hybrid-layer SACDs; as well as CD-Audio, CD-R/RW (MP3/WMA) discs. The Super Audio standard is based on Direct Stream Digital (DSD) technology. This direct-stream digital format is a 1-bit system with a sampling frequency 64x higher than a conventional audio CD (2,822,400 Hz vs. 44,100 Hz). SA-CD produces a frequency response of 2Hz to 50kHz and a 110dB dynamic range. Because of the way inaudible and audible frequencies mix, the resulting sound is more natural.
Marantz HDAM Technology: Instead of conventional op-amp integrated circuits, the SA8005 is equipped with our exclusive HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) technology. These discrete circuit elements feature wide-band response along with high slew rate, to deliver the most nuanced and detailed musical reproduction, and are ideally suited for today's high resolution wide-band digital audio sources.
High Resolution D/A Conversion: Featuring the reference-class high current CS4398 D/A converter, the SA8005 can accept a wide range of digital audio source types, including Super Audio CD Direct Stream Digital content at 2.8 and 5.6 MHz, along with linear PCM up to 24-bits/192kHz. The analog audio sections feature HDAM technologies for the purest audio reproduction. The DAC section features dual clock synchronization for optimum signal decoding, and can also decode MP3 and WMA digital audio formats.
Digital Inputs + Stand Alone DAC Capability: You can use the SA8005 as a stand-alone digital-to-analog converter, thanks to the inclusion of both coaxial and optical digital audio inputs. You can also connect your favorite portable audio device, via the convenient front-panel USB (type-A) port, and the SA8005 is compatible with the iPod, iPod touch and iPhone. The rear-panel asynchronous high speed USB (type-B) port lets you connect your home PC to the SA8005, so you can enjoy superb sound quality from your favorite PCM and DSD high resolution tracks stored on your computer. The USB (type-B) port also features Marantz's unique ground isolator circuit design that prevents PC-originated ground plane noise transfer.
- Optical/Coaxial Inputs: The optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) digital inputs let you connect up to two external digital audio devices, such as Apple TV or other network digital audio players. Only PCM signals (32-192kHz) are compatible with the optical and coaxial inputs.
- USB Type-A Input (iPod/Android Compatible): The front-panel USB port lets you connect select USB mass storage class devices (formatted in FAT16/32); such as Android smartphones/tablets (Froyo/Gingergread OS only), portable digital audio players, and thumbdrives; plus Apple iPod/iPhone devices (Classic, Nano, Touch, iPhone). You'll be able to listen to stored music (MP3/WMA/WAV/AAC) and music apps from your compatible device. This USB port will also charge your device while connected and you can control music playback from the included remote control.
- USB Type-B Input (Mac/Windows Comaptible): By connecting a computer to the USB (type-B) port on the rear-panel of this unit, you're able to bypass the computer's soundcard and playback a variety of digital music files stored on your computer through the SACD player's 24-bit/192kHz DAC. The unit is compatible with Mac OS X 10.6.3 and later, as well as Windows XP (SP3), Vista, 7, or 8. Windows requires the installation of a dedicated driver software found on the Marantz Website.
Analog & Digital Outputs: Two digital outputs, one optical (Toslink) and one coaxial (RCA), are provided for sending the audio signal to the digital input terminals of a receiver or digital recorder. No signal is output from either during playback of the HD layer of a Super Audio CD; digital signals are output when playing a CD, the CD layer of a Hybrid SA-CD, or any device connected to one of the digital inputs. The SACD player also features a stereo RCA analog output connection which can be set to variable or fixed.
Fully Discrete Headphone Amp: For the most enjoyable personal audio experience, connect your favorite headphones to the SA8005 and listen to the highest fidelity natural sound, thanks to our fully discrete headphone amplifier circuitry. With discrete circuit headphone amplifier topology, the SA8005 delivers superb personal listening, featuring wide-band response, tremendous dynamic range against a virtually noiseless background, and there's a convenient front-panel headphone volume control.
High Current Toroidal Power Transformer: For the most stable DC supply to the various circuit stages, the SA8005 is equipped with a high current toroidal power transformer, and features separate rectifier stages for the analog and digital sections to prevent mutual interference.
System Remote Control: The ergonomically designed remote control includes additional control functionality that lets you operate the matching Marantz PM8005 integrated stereo amplifier (642PM8005, sold separately) as well as our network audio component. The SA8005 also features remote control input and output ports for additional remote control connectivity.
Auto Standby: With the Auto Standby Mode turned on this unit will enter standby mode after approximately 30 minutes (continuous) of no audio playback.
2 questions already asked