About the Marantz SA-KI Ruby
An anniversary gift for audiophiles
An anniversary gift for audiophiles
Engineer Ken Ishiwata celebrated his 40 years of excellence at Marantz by designing the elegant Marantz SA-KI Ruby Super Audio CD player. It's built around the company's innovative SACDM-3 transport mechanism that provides exceptional sound quality when playing music from CDs, SACDs, and compilations on CD-ROMs or DVD-ROMs.
This CD player is a perfect match for Ken Ishiwata's other 40th anniversary masterpiece, the Marantz PM-KI Ruby integrated amplifier.
It's a great outboard DAC, too
The SA-KI Ruby can make your other digital sources sound their best, too. You can connect your computer, USB thumb drives and conventional audio components with coaxial or optical digital outputs.
The USB inputs support FLAC files up to 24-bit/384kHz resolution, DSD files up to 11.2 MHz, ALAC (Apple Lossless), AIFF and MP3 files. The coaxial and optical digital inputs can handle PCM-based signals up to 24-bit/192kHz. Two system clocks handle all incoming signals accurately.
The player's Marantz Musical Mastering circuitry upsamples all PCM-based sources to ultra-high-frequency 1-bit DSD signals at 11.2 MHz, which then pass through advanced filtering to give you the purest, most accurate sound possible.
- stereo playback for SACDs, audio CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and DVD-Rs (including MP3 and WMA discs)
- SACD-M3 transport mechanism for the best performance and sound quality
- Marantz's Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules (HDAM) offer exquisite detail and dynamic range while reducing noise
- selectable digital filters for fine-tuning sound
- all PCM- and DXD-based sources are upsampled to 1-bit DSD at 11.2 MHz
- high-quality headphone amplifier featuring HDAM SA2 amplifier modules
- toroidal transformer with copper-plated shielding
- optical and coaxial digital audio inputs for use in DAC mode
- accept high-res PCM audio up to 24-bit/192kHz
- rear-panel USB input (type A) for USB flash drives
- rear-panel asynchronous USB input (type B) for audio playback of stored computer or streaming music files
- USB DAC function supports high-resolution PCM files up to 32-bit/384kHz, DSD files up to 11.2 MHz, and DXD files
- Windows® PCs require free driver download from Marantz website
- stereo RCA outputs
- optical and coaxial digital audio outputs for CD
- full-size headphone output with volume control
- SACD specs:
- frequency response: 2-100,000 Hz
- signal-to-noise ratio: 112 dB
- dynamic range: 109 dB
- CD specs:
- frequency response: 2-20,000 Hz
- signal-to-noise ratio: 104 dB
- dynamic range: 98 dB
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 17-3/8"W x 5"H x 16-1/2"D
- weight: 37.11 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years parts and labor (3 years parts for optical mechanism)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SA-KI Ruby
What's in the box:
- SACD player
- 69" AC power cord
- Remote control (RC005PMSA)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 5' Stereo RCA cable
- 29" Mono-RCA cable
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Information
Marantz SA-KI Ruby reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Marantz SA-KI Ruby
Features & specs
|CD Transport Only||No|
Single Disc |
|Direct Track Access||Remote|
|Direct Disc Access||N/A|
|Multiple CD Player Control||---|
|Parts Warranty||5 Yrs (3Yrs optics)|
|Labor Warranty||5 Yrs (3Yrs optics)|
|CD Frequency Response||2-20k Hz|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||104 dB|
|SACD Frequency Response||2-50k Hz|
|SACD Dynamic Range||109 dB|
|SACD THD||0.0008 %|
|Analog RCA Output||Yes|
|Analog XLR Output||No|
|Digital Optical Output||Yes|
|Digital Coaxial Output||Yes|
40 Year Anniversary Edition: Designed to celebrate the 40-year anniversary of legendary Marantz sound master, Ken Ishiwata, SA-KI Ruby features pinnacle performance that's synonymous with Marantz excellence. Complete with thoughtful engineering, painstaking tuning and extensive listening sessions, SA-KI Ruby achieves the elevated output worthy of its name. It elegantly features Ishiwata's laser-engraved signature to commemorate the design and heightened listening experience that honors the decades-long partnership between him and Marantz.
SACDM-3 Transport Mechanism: At the heart of the SA-KI Ruby is an innovative new SACDM-3 transport mechanism, engineered solely for the best possible performance when playing SACDs, CDs and music stored on data discs. This new mechanism promises exceptional sound quality from conventional CD and SACD discs and allows listeners to create their own high-resolution audio compilation discs using a computer DVD burner. The SA-KI Ruby supports FLAC files from 44.1kHz to 192kHz at up to 24-bit resolution, DSD2.8MHz and DSD 5.6MHz, ALAC (Apple Lossless), AIFF and MP3 files.
- Compatible Discs: The SA-KI Ruby supports playback of SACD, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, and DVD+R/RW discs.
- Compatible Files: Compatible audio files include MP3 (44.1/48kH; 32-320kbps), WMA (44.1/48kHz; 48-320kbps), AAC (44.1/48kHz; 16-320kbps), WAV (44.1-192kHz; 16/24-bits), FLAC (44.1-192kHz; 16/24-bits), ALAC (44.1-96kHz; 16/24-bits), AIFF (44.1-192kHz; 16/24-bits), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz; 1-bit) - the player can recognize 1,000 folders per disc and 2,000 files per folder.
High Resolution DAC: In addition to a SACD player, the SA-KI Ruby is also a fully-functional digital-to-analog converter (DAC) for music stored on a home computer, as well as having conventional digital inputs for existing source components. The optical & coaxial digital inputs can handle files at up to 192kHz/24bit. In addition, the player's digital input section includes a USB-B asynchronous input for the direct connection of a computer, and is compatible with PCM and DXD music files at up to 384kHz/32bit, as well as DSD2.8MHz, DSD5.6MHz and DSD11.2MHz.
- Isolated Signal Path: What's more, the digital input section is completely isolated, to avoid any electrical noise from connected components, a particular problem when computers are used as a source, from finding its way into the signal-path.
- 1-Bit Conversion Technology: The digital-to-analog conversion also takes full advantage of the 1-bit conversion technology found in past flagship Marantz players, and incorporates brand-new filtering and upconversion to take advantage of this simple, but elegant solution.
Note: When USB, Coaxial, or Optical inputs are selected, the player will turn off the optical drive to achieve higher quality sound.
Marantz Music Mastering (MMM) Filtering: PCM and DXD inputs are all upconverted to DSD at 11.2MHz using the proprietary MMM-Stream converter within the player, and then the high-frequency signal produced is processed by the unique MMM-Conversion stage, used in place of a conventional DAC, to produce the analog output. The MMM-Stream section of the process replaces the oversampling filters normally used in digital-to-analog conversion, and allows the implementation of the Marantz Musical Mastering filtering. You can select between two Filter modes - one providing a slow roll-off and very short impulse response, the other offering the option of a medium roll-off with short pre-ringing and longer post-ringing.
Two System Clocks: Two system clocks are used to ensure the most accurate upconversion of the incoming signal; whether its from disc or the digital inputs. 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz files are upsampled to 11.2896MHz, while 48/96/192kHz files are taken up to 12.288MHz for maximum performance. All of this conversion is done using Digital Signal Processing with 32-bit floating-point precision for accurate, detailed sound. Combining this with the reduction to a 1-bit signal straight after the oversampling filter and Sigma Delta Modulation allows a pure DSD audio signal to be passed to the conversion section in the form of a very high-frequency stream of pulses, requiring only a very high-quality low-pass filter to remove all the superfluous high frequencies and pass the purest possible audio to the player's output stage.
USB Inputs: The Marantz SA-KI Ruby is equipped with a rear-panel USB-B and USB-A input for music playback. The USB-B lets you playback music stored on your Windows PC or Mac computer, while the USB-A input supports music playback from USB MSC devices (such as a USB thumbdrive). You'll be able to control playback & search functions from the included remote control, as well as view song/artist/album information on the player's front-panel display.
- USB-B Asynchronous Input: The USB-B Asynchronous input lets you playback the music library of your Windows PC (7/8/8.1/10) or Mac computer (OSX 10.9/10.10/10.11). A Windows PC will require the installation of a dedicated USB driver. Compatible music files include PCM and DXD music files (44.1-384kHz; 16/24/32-bits), as well as DSD2.8MHz, DSD5.6MHz and DSD11.2MHz (1-bit).
- USB-A MSC Input: The USB-A input lets you playback compressed music files including MP3 (44.1/48kH; 32-320kbps) / WMA (44.1/48kHz; 48-320kbps) / AAC (44.1/48kHz; 16-320kbps), and high res music files including WAV (44.1-192kHz; 16/24-bits) / FLAC (44.1-192kHz; 16/24-bits) / ALAC (44.1-96kHz; 16/24-bits) / AIFF (44.1-192kHz; 16/24-bits), / DSD (2.8/5.6MHz; 1-bit) stored on a USB MSC (mass storage class) devices formatted in FAT16/FAT32, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. It can recognize up to 1,000 folders and 2,000 files per folder.
Note: The USB inputs do not support Apple iOS or Android OS devices.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The SA-KI Ruby is also outfitted with a coaxial (RCA) and optical (toslink) digital input for connection to other digital audio sources. The coaxial and optical digital inputs support 2ch Linear PCM signals from 32kHz to 192kHz (16/24-bits). Dolby Digital/DTS signals are not supported.
Robust Construction: The SA-KI Ruby Super Audio CD player is constructed to the highest standards, with a copper-plated double layer chassis for rejection of mechanical interference, a front panel built from thick, heavy, non-magnetic aluminum panels and a 5mm thick aluminum top cover. Single layer, nickel-plated matching copper RCA terminals in the SA-KI Ruby outperform the terminals of competitors and offer an exemplary listening experience.
High Current Power Supply: The power supply of the SA-KI Ruby features a large high current toroidal power transformer with OFC (oxygen-free copper) secondary wires, along with high speed, high current Schottky Barrier Diodes in the rectifier stage for the purest DC voltage output.
Analog & Digital Outputs: The Marantz SACD player is equipped with an analog stereo RCA output, digital optical (toslink) output, and a digital coaxial (RCA) output to connect to your integrated amplifier or AV receiver. No signal is output from either digital output during playback of the HD layer of a Super Audio CD; digital signals will be output when playing a CD, the CD layer of a Hybrid SA-CD, or any device connected to one of the digital inputs.
Dedicated Headphone Output: Connect your favorite headphones directly to the SA-KI Ruby via the convenient front-panel 1/4" headphone jack, which also features its own selectable gain control. The headphone circuit offers gain adjustment and is compatible with a wide range of headphone types and lower impedance headphones.
Note: The headphones circuit operation can be turned off to minimize noise from the headphones circuit which could interfere with analog audio output signals.
Low Noise Fluorescent Display: The deluxe low noise LC display features clear, easy to read alphanumeric characters and is compatible with CD Text encoded music discs. Display can be turned off via the display control button on the remote. For enhanced user experience, bit depth of the input signal is now available on the front display of the SA-KI Ruby.
Remote Control: The elegant remote control features an intuitive ergonomic layout and is equipped with amplifier control functions to operate both the SA-KI Ruby and the complementary PM-KI Ruby reference class integrated stereo amplifier (sold separately). Use the integrated remote control input and output jacks to connect the SA-KI Ruby to other compatible Marantz components. An internal/external switch on the rear-panel provides additional system control flexibility
Auto Standby: The player will automatically enter standby mode when there is no input signal for approximately 30 minutes.
2 questions already asked