About the Marantz SR5008
Home theater with an emphasis on sound
Home theater with an emphasis on sound
Just because your home theater is made for movies doesn't mean music should take a backseat. Marantz knows how to do audio right, and their SR5008 home theater receiver will make music and movies sound rich, detailed, and dynamic while delivering plenty of power for a 7.2-channel system. With network capability, Apple AirPlay, and loads of connections, you'll never be at a loss for entertainment choices. Whether you're powering surround sound speakers in your home theater or stereo speakers in a second room, the SR5008 will open up your ears to those subtle details of your music and movie soundtracks.
Get connected with wireless streaming and AirPlay
When you connect the SR5008 to your home network, you'll open up a whole new world of listening options. This receiver has built-in support for free Internet radio, Pandora®, and subscription services like Spotify® and SiriusXM. If you have a Wi-Fi® router, then take advantage of AirPlay compatibility for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, or a computer running iTunes®. Access your entire digital music collection from the palm of your hand with your Apple® device. Or stream audio from any AirPlay-compatible app — like YouTube™ — to the SR5008 for playback over your home theater speakers. You can also stream music from PCs and select Android™ devices with DLNA-compatibility. AirPlay requires a wireless home network and a wired connection between the receiver and network.
Built on sound principles
When building audio/video components, Marantz pays careful attention to those little details that make the difference between good and superb performance. The proprietary Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module (HDAM) improves dynamic range and detail while minimizing noise to bring your music to life. A high-current power supply and direct mode further ensure you get the most out of your favorite tunes. High-quality 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converters can decode the latest high-resolution formats — even FLAC, WAV, and Apple Lossless files streamed wirelessly. If you're streaming low-bitrate files like MP3s, Marantz's Dynamic Audio eXpander improves sound quality by adding more depth to these compressed formats.
The SR5008's easy setup wizard walks you through the initial connections and settings.
Choose your speaker setup
With the SR5008's "power amp assign" feature, you'll have several options for speaker setup tailored to your gear. Use all seven channels in your home theater for room-filling 7.2-channel surround sound. Or reassign the "surround back" channels to power stereo speakers in a second room while still enjoying 5.2-channel sound in your main zone. Or use them to bi-amp your compatible front speakers for even better audio performance.
Fine-tune your system with Audyssey
Worried about making all the right connections? Marantz walks you through the process with the SR5008's easy setup assistant. It guides you step by step through placing and connecting your speakers, hooking up source components, and optimizing all the settings so it all sounds great in your room. Plus, Audyssey's acclaimed speaker calibration system will automatically take measurements and make adjustments to tune your speakers to match your room. Just plug in the included setup microphone and let the receiver do the rest.
Download the free Marantz Remote app to control the SR5008 with your smartphone.
App control for Apple and Android
Once you're set up, be sure to download the free Marantz Remote app for your Apple or Android smartphone or tablet. It offers intuitive touchscreen control of the SR5008 and is the easiest way to operate many of its features and settings. Choose your source, adjust the volume, and even select music from your DLNA-compatible music server or computer.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding, including Dolby Pro Logic® IIz
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion (up to 1080p and 4K)
- Audyssey Laboratories' MultEQ® XT six-point auto setup and room calibration system (microphone included)
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume mode to keep listening levels steady
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ for fuller sound at lower listening levels
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- Internet-ready for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Spotify, Pandora, and SiriusXM (subscription required for some services)
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes
- DLNA and Windows® 8 compatible for streaming music with compatible devices and computers
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- front-panel USB input gives you a direct digital connection for your iPod for improved sound quality
- add Bluetooth streaming capability with the Marantz wireless audio adapter
- dual-room/dual-source output
- powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room (using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.2 home theater in main room)
- power amp assign function lets you use surround back speaker outputs for Front Height, Zone 2, Front B, or bi-amping compatible front speakers
- optical/coaxial digital and HDMI audio sources are not output to Zone 2
Audio Performance Features:
- 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- Marantz's Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module (HDAM) offers improved dynamic range and detail while reducing noise
- current feedback circuit for accurate, natural sound at all volume levels
- Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander (M-DAX) improves sound quality of MP3s and other compressed digital music files
- high-current power transformer
- Pure Direct mode turns off unused circuitry for cleaner audio signals
- bi-amp capability with compatible front speakers by reassigning "surround back" channels
- HDMI 1.4a audio/video switching: 7 in (includes 1 front-panel input), 1 out
- component video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- composite video switching: 3 in (includes 1 front-panel input), 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 2 coaxial
- 5 analog stereo audio inputs (includes 1 front-panel input)
- 7.1-channel preamp inputs
- 7.2-channel preamp outputs include outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives and portable music players
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 7 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R)
- RS-232C input for use with external controllers
- remote control input/output
- IR flasher input
- 12-volt trigger output
- full-sized headphone jack
- detachable power cable
- 3D and 4K HDMI pass-through
- This receiver is not HDCP 2.2-compliant and will not support copy-protected 4K video content.
- streams photos from a DLNA-compatible computer or portable device for display on your TV
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- Video Select lets you listen to music (network, iPod/USB, or tuner) while watching video from a different source
- Setup Assistant guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- intuitive, full-color on-screen menu
- free downloadable Marantz Remote app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi® remote
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-5/16"W x 6-5/16"H x 14-5/16"D
- weight: 22.25 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SR5008
What's in the box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC021SR)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Audyssey Setup Mic (ACM1HB)
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM (En/Fr/Sp)
- Getting Started guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- USA Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
- Important Safety Instructions
- Sheet of adhesive labels
Marantz SR5008 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Marantz SR5008
Features & specs
7-Channel Discrete Amplifier: The Marantz SR5008 is equipped with a power amplifier that reproduces high-fidelity sound in surround mode with equal quality and power for all channels, true to the original sound. The power amplifier circuit adopts a discrete-circuit configuration that achieves high-quality surround sound reproduction. The 7 channel amplifier is rated at 100 watts with 2 channels driven (20-20kHz, 8-ohms, 0.08% THD).
Amplifier Assignment: The SR5008 supports up to 7.1 channels (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, and SW) for surround playback defined by the Blu-ray disc format. The seven amplifier channels built into the receiver are typically used for 7.1 channel surround in the main room, but there are various amplifier configurations to accommodate your home theater setup:
- Surround Back: The AV receiver's amplifier channels can be configured as Front Left/Right, Center, Surround Left/Right, and Surround Back Left/Right for Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and Dolby Pro Logic IIx 7.1ch playback.
- Bi-Amp: You can configure the amplifier for front bi-amp operation to achieve a higher-quality 2-channel sound by connecting the receiver's front and surround back channels to your main front speakers (if compatible). Receiver will be limited to 5.1ch surround.
- Front B: A second set of front speakers can be powered by the surround back amplifier. Receiver will be limited to 5.1ch surround.
- Front Height: The receiver's amplifier channels can also be configured as Front Left/Right, Front Height Left/Right, Center, and Surround Left/Right for Dolby Pro Logic IIz 7.1ch playback.
- Zone2: In addition, the SR5008's amplifier channels can be configured as Front Left/Right, Center, Surround Left/Right, and Zone 2 for Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II 5.1ch playback in the main zone and 2ch PCM playback in the second zone.
Exclusive HDAM & Current Feedback Technology : Incorporating technology derived from Marantz's Reference Series components, the SR5008 features Marantz's exclusive HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) system, which combines ultra fast slew rate and maximum dynamic range to deliver optimum sound quality with today's high resolution audio formats. The SR5008 also incorporates Current Feedback instead of the typical voltage feedback configuration. Current Feedback technology provides a wide closed-loop bandwidth and very high slew rate, delivering superior audio fidelity
High Current Power Supply: The Marantz SR5008 AV surround receiver employs a high current linear power supply with an EI core power transformer for high-quality sound playback.
24-bit/192-kHz DACs: The Marantz SR5008 utilizes a 192 kHz/24 bit D/A converter on each of the unit's seven channels for exceptional sound quality. The 192kHz sampling and 24-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Marantz SR5008 is equipped with a high-resolution Analog Devices (ADSP21487) 32-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP). All elements of the Surround Processor are optimized to the highest standards by the use of selected high performance and discrete components, particularly the A/D and D/A converters and the sophisticated DSP surround decoder. The SR6007 is equipped with various surround modes to reproduce a variety of surround sound effects, according to the content of the source to be played. The receiver features Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD decoding; as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic II (x/z) audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby, Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic IIz
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the A/V receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Audyssey Technology: The SR5008 features a full package of Audyssey audio technologies for optimal sound quality. Audyssey Dynamic Volume offers real-time volume adjustment, while Audyssey DynamicEQ improves your system's surround effects during low volume levels. Audyssey MultEQ XT automatically sets speakers to suit your room's listening environment and the speakers' characteristics.
- Audyssey MultEQ XT: Audyssey MultEQ XT technology helps
create an optimal acoustic profile for your home theater. Using the included
setup microphone, Audyssey MultEQ XT measures sound levels and adjusts
speaker configuration accordingly, making setup fast and easy. This room
acoustic measuring and correction system analyzes (via the included
microphone) the audio characteristics of your speaker system and your
listening environment at up to 8 measurement points and automatically
tailors the sound for top audio fidelity. You can set the Audyssey MultEQ XT
to one of the following modes.
- Audyssey: Optimizes the crossover point, output level, delay time, and equalization of all speakers based on speaker frequency response, speaker location, and room acoustics.
- Audyssey Bypass L/R: Optimizes all speakers except front left and right.
- Audyssey Flat: Optimizes frequency response of all speakers to flat.
- Manual: Adjusts the tonal quality for each speaker individually using the manual equalizer settings; adjust from -20 to +6 dB at 63 Hz, 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1 kHz, 2 kHz, 4 kHz, 8 kHz, and 16 kHz.
- Off: Turns equalizer off.
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume solves the problem of large variations in volume level between television programs, commercials, and between the soft and loud passages of movies. Dynamic Volume addresses the issue of commercials that are too loud and movie soundtracks with vast differences between soft and loud passages; the results are more intelligible dialogue, loud passages maintain impact, and soft whispers are heard clearly. When the volume level changes, Dynamic EQ also adjusts the frequency response to maintain sound quality. You can set the Dynamic Volume to Day (low), Evening (middle), Midnight (high), or off.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music Settings: While listening in
the Dolby Pro Logic II Music format, there are three further enhancements
you can adjust:
- Panorama: Broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect, especially effective when there is limited output from the surround channels, panorama can be turned on/off in the menu.
- Dimension: Allows you to move the sound field forward or backward.
- Center Width: Allows you to adjust the width of the center channel.
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 7 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
- Height Gain: Adjust the volume (Low/Mid/High) of the Front Height channels in Dolby Pro Logic IIz.
Stereo Modes: The Marantz SR5008 surround receiver also provides two-channel stereo and multi-channel stereo playback, as well a virtual surround from two stereo speakers.
- 2CH Stereo: This is the mode for playing in 2-channel stereo; bass and treble can be adjusted and sound is output from the front left and right speakers, along with a connected subwoofer.
- Multi-Channel Stereo: This mode lets you enjoy stereo sound from all speakers.
- Virtual Speaker: Enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones.
Direct Modes: The Marantz SR5008 offers two Direct sound modes which offer high-quality sound by bypassing the receiver's DSP & video circuitry.
- Source Direct: In this mode the 2ch audio signal is played in its original form, without any surround or tone processing. Multichannel audio signal is played in its original form, without any tone processing.
- Pure Direct: This mode is for playback in higher sound quality than in Direct mode. The display and analog video circuitry are turned off to minimize the possibility of any noise being added to the signal.
Audio Enhancements: The Marantz SR5008 receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- M-DAX: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The M-DAX function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- HT-EQ: The tonal balance of a film soundtrack will be excessively bright and harsh when played back over audio equipment in the home. This is because film soundtracks were designed to be played back in large movie theater environments. Activating the receiver's HT-EQ feature when watching a film made from movie theaters corrects this and restores the correct tonal balance.
- Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
- Tone Settings: You can independently adjust the system's overall Bass and Treble settings from -6 to +6 dB. You can also fade the sound from front to rear, or vice-versa.
Level Adjustments: The SR5008 provides the following level adjustments.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
- Dialogue Level: You can adjust the output level (+/-12dB) to clarify the dialogue output from the center channel.
- Subwoofer Level: You can set the receiver's subwoofer output level (+/-12dB) independent from the other speaker levels and system's main volume.
Volume Settings: The SR5008 offers the following volume settings.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB).
- Volume Limit: You can set a maximum volume level of 0dB (80), -10dB (70), or -20dB (60) to limit the receiver's total volume output.
- Turn-On Volume: You can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on (0, 1-98, -79 to +18dB, or Last)
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Marantz AV receiver offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Assignable Digital Inputs: The SR5008 features two optical digital (Toslink) inputs and two coaxial digital inputs. Each input can be assigned to any of the different input sources except Tuner.
- 7.1 Channel Input: The SR5008 features a 7.1 Channel input (Front left, Front right, Center, Surround left, Surround right, Surround Back left, Surround Back right and Subwoofer) for connecting a DVD Audio player, Super Audio CD multi-channel player, or other component that has a multi-channel port so you can playback the audio with 5.1 channel or 7.1 channel surround sound. If you will not be using the 7.1 channel input with a multi-channel decoder, you can use the front and left inputs as an auxiliary input.
- 7.2ch Pre-Out: The A/V receiver features 7.2ch pre-amp outputs (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, and Dual Subs) for connection to external power amplifiers.
- Speaker Terminals w/ Color Labels: The receiver has binding-post terminals for all speaker connections. The binding-post terminals can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single/dual). The receiver will accept speaker impedances of 6 to 16-ohm. The AV receiver comes with color labels to easily identify which channel a speaker cable should be connected to. Since the speaker cables have labels in the same colors as the connectors on the SR5008's rear panel, there's no longer any confusion about which terminals they should be connected to.
- Headphone Output: The receiver features a 1/4" stereo headphone jack on its front panel for connecting a pair of optional headphones. The unit's speakers will automatically be turned off when a set of headphones are connected.
HDMI (v1.4a): With seven HDMI v.1.4a inputs (6 rear/1 front), the SR5008 allows you to route multiple high-definition devices--like game consoles and Blu-ray players--to your TV. It also allows you to connect all of your devices to your TV with a single HDMI cable (via its HDMI monitor output), reducing cable clutter. The HDMI inputs are assignable to different input sources. They support HDCP copyright protection and are compatible with 3D signals, ARC, Deep Color, xvYCC technology, Auto LipSync, and HDMI control. The HDMI inputs and output support the 4K high-resolution video standard, allowing you to play 4K videos on compatible displays and projectors. The receiver supports both 4K (3840 x 2160) pass-through and 4K upscaling technologies.
- 4K Pass-Through: 4K Pass-Through allows the Marantz SR5008 to receive super high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K compatible TV or display monitor. This ensures compatibility with the latest super high resolution video formats.
- 3D Ready: With the advent of 3D media, it is important to own a receiver that recognizes 3D video signals. The SR5008 is able to pass through 3D signals from your Blu-ray player, ensuring that the 3D effect doesn't get lost in translation. It also recognizes signals from 3D television broadcasts. By connecting a 3D-compliant Blu-ray disc player and 3D-compliant TV to the SR5008, you will have a 3D home theater where you can enjoy high-definition sound and video on a level you've never experienced before.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The SR5008 also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- Auto LipSync: This feature automatically compensates for the timing shift between the audio and video of the receiver. If needed, the audio signal can be manually delayed to match the video signal; adjust from 0-200ms.
Analog Video Inputs: The receiver features three composite video inputs (2 rear/1 front) and one composite video monitor output; supports up to 480i. There is also two component video inputs (60MHz) and one component video monitor output; supports up to 1080p.
Analog-to-HDMI Conversion w/ Video Scaling (4K): The SR5008 is equipped with a flexible video switching system that converts incoming analog video signals to HDMI and scales them to a higher resolution, so only one video connection is required from the receiver to the TV. HDMI input video signals can also be scaled to a higher resolution. The scaled output resolution is set in the receiver's menu.
- Composite Video to HDMI: Composite video signals (480i only) can be scaled to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 108p, or 4K through the receiver's HDMI output.
- Component Video to HDMI: Component video signals (480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p) can be scaled to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p or 4k through the receiver's HDMI output.
- HDMI to HDMI: HDMI video signals (480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p/4K) can be scaled to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 4k through the receiver's HDMI output.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When enabling the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function, regardless of whether the AV receiver is "On" or in "Standby" both audio/video streams from an HDMI input will be output to your television, via the receiver's HDMI monitor output. You can select between three HDMI through function modes.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input (1-6) for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
Picture Mode: The receiver provides Picture Mode to adjust the picture quality for your viewing content and environment. You can select from Standard, Movie, Vivid, Streaming, Custom, or Off. The Custom mode lets you manually adjust Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Hue, Noise Reduction, and Enhancer (sharpness).
Video Select Function: You can switch the video input source on the receiver while listening to a different audio signal.
Network Connection: The Marantz SR5008 is equipped with an Ethernet (RJ-45) port that lets you connect the receiver to your home network (LAN) and your broadband internet provider. When connected to your home network, the SR5008 lets you listen to Internet radio and a host of other online music sources from your broadband internet provider, as well as play audio files & display still images from your computer via its network connection (DLNA 1.5 certified). The SR5008 also supports AirPlay that lets you stream your music library from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or iTunes.
Note: This unit's RJ-45 Ethernet port supports 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX and requires an Ethernet (LAN) category 5 or higher cable, Router, Modem, and Internet connection.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The SR5008 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7 compliant for audio and photo networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music and still-images (JPEG) stored on your Windows PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through the A/V receiver and view still-images on your connected TV, or use the SR5008's remote control to browse music & photo files on your hard drive. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed the unit's front-panel display or on-screen menu. In addition the unit will display Album Art on a connected television. The Marantz SR5008 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/20/24-bit||.flac|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
Online Services: The Marantz SR5008 lets you access Internet Radio, as well as other online music and photo services from your broadband Internet connection. Currently the SR5008 supports Internet Radio from vTuner, Pandora, Spotify, and SiriusXM; as well as the Flickr online photo sharing site (as of 3/19/2013). The Marantz receiver offers on-screen menu display and control over these web services.
|vTuner||The online vTuner service which offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. Internet Radio stations in MP3 (32-320kbps) and WMA (48-192kbps) format are supported. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites. You can store up to 56 Internet Radio stations as presets. The unit will automatically save up to 20 of the most recently played stations.|
|Once the network audio player is registered with your Pandora account, you can listen to the automated music recommendation and Internet Radio service. You can create up to 100 personalized radio stations. You can sort tracks within these radio stations. You can skip up to 6 tracks that are being played back within 1 hour. You can also thumbs-up/thumbs-down and bookmark tracks. In Pandora, you can search for the track name or artist name using "keyword" searches. When the search is complete, tracks that have a similar rhythm or sound are streamed.|
|Spotify||Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists. A Spotify Premium subscription is required.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.|
|Flickr||Flickr is an online photograph sharing service that started in 2004. You can use this unit to view photographs on a connected TV that have been made public by Flickr users. You will need to setup an Flickr account to download, upload, and view photographs.|
Favorites: You can add up to 100 items as "Favorites" from Internet Radio, online music services, and your media server for easier, quicker access.
AM/FM Tuner: The Marantz AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with 56 station auto-preset memory tuning. You can also set your presets manually. You can create an 8-character name for each preset station. You can even directly enter a station number using the receiver's on-screen menu and remote control.
Web Control: You can control this A/V receiver from a web control screen on your Windows PC's web browser. The SR5008 and your PC must be connected to the same home network.
Software Updates: Using the receiver's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. Visit Marantz's Owner's Circle for access to downloads to keep the Marantz receiver up-to-date. The tested Marantz SR5008 contained firmware version 8300-4184-4572 (as of /2/2013).
AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad, or from your iTunes library on your PC or Mac to the Marantz SR5008, over your home network connection. By downloading Apple's free "Remote" application onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You will even see the iTunes music information, including your track titles and artist info via the Marantz receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
Note: To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 4.3 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Marantz AV receiver is fitted with a front-panel USB (type-A) port and HDMI port for playback of audio and video files from select iPod, iPhone, or iPad devices.
- Audio Playback: The SR5008 supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the AV receiver, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can search for stored music on your iPod/iPhone/iPad by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Song/artist information and Album Art from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV via HDMI.
- Video Playback: You can also view video from stored movies and movie apps from select iPods, iPhone, and iPads by connecting your Apple device to the AV receiver's front-panel USB and HDMI input. Use the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (472LT2HDMI sold separately), the Apple Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (5th gen), iPhone 5, iPad 4, or iPad mini to the AV receiver. Use the Apple Dock-to-Digital AV Adapter (47230PHDMI, sold separately), the Apple Dock-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (4th gen), iPhone 4/4S, or iPad (1/2/3). Use the Apple Composite AV cable (sold separately) for older video-capable iPod/iPhone/iPad devices w/ 30-pin connector. Video from your iPod/iPhone/iPad can only be navigated from your Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen (select Simple mode on receiver).
Note: Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 1A). This unit will not charge the iPad.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The SR5008 is "made for iPod/iPhone compatible" and supports the following iPod/iPhone models and functions via its front-panel USB port (as of 9/24/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
USB Port: A USB memory device can be connected to the USB (type-A) port located on the front-panel, allowing you to play various music files and JPEG still-image files through the receiver. The USB memory device must be mass storage class (msc) or media transfer protocol (mtp) compliant, and be formatted in FAT16 or FAT32. The unit can recognize up to 500 folders/5,000 files. In addition to music and still-image playback, the A/V receiver supports basic playback control, song/artist information display, and charging (5V/1A) of your connected USB mass storage class device. The Marantz SR5008 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its USB (type-A) connection.
Compatible Audio Formats Sampling Frequencies Bit rate Extension WMA (Windows Media Audio) 32/44.1/48 kHz 48-192 kbps .wma MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3) 32/44.1/48 kHz 32-320 kbps .mp3 WAV 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz 16-bit .wav MPEG-4 AAC 32/44.1/48 kHz 16-320 kbps .aac/.m4a/.mp4 FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz 16/20/24-bit .flac ALAC 32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz N/A .m4a
Note: USB memory device will not work via a Hub. It is not possible to connect and use a computer via the unit's USB port using a USB cable.
On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Wizard (via HDMI): With the on-screen graphical display that combines large clear text and colorful icons, plus the Marantz Setup Assistant, setup is both simple and quick, letting you easily make all necessary adjustments and settings to quickly and easily optimize the SR5008 for your particular speaker configuration and source equipment. When you control the sound volume, the volume level is displayed on the screen, and when you switch the input source, the name of the input source is displayed. The on-screen menu display can only be output to your TV via HDMI.
Note: The receiver's front-panel LCD window only displays source input and volume. You will need to connect this receiver up to your TV via HDMI to configure speaker, network, input, and system settings through the AV receiver's on-screen menu.
Multi-Source/Multi-Zone: The Marantz SR5008 offers Zone 2 and All Zone Stereo functionality for playback of audio in two separate rooms of your home.
- Zone 2: Marantz's Multi-Zone/Multi-Source
function lets you select a different audio source for listening in a second
location of your home. The SR5008 features a Main Zone (audio/video) and Zone 2
(audio only). The Main Zone offers 7.2-channel playback of your audio/video gear
in your main entertainment room. Zone 2 allows stereo audio playback of another
source connected to the receiver in another room of your home via left/right RCA
audio or speaker level outputs. The receiver's surround back amplifier can be
reassigned to power a pair of speakers in Zone 2. When using the SR5008 to power
speakers in a second room of your home, the main zone is restricted to
5.2-channels. When using the receiver's line output terminals for the second
room, you need an additional amplifier to power those speakers; the main Zone of
the receiver remains 7.2-channel. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the
Marantz receiver using either configuration, or from your Zone 2's integrated amplifier when using the line-output.
- Compatible Zone Sources: Only tuner, analog, USB, and Network sources can be played in Zone 2. You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations or different Network content for different zones. To hear AirPlay in Zone 2, you must first start playing Airplay in the Main Zone. Once you have selected AirPlay in Zone 2, you can then switch the source of the Main Zone.
- Incompatible Zone Sources: It is not possible to play the digital audio signals from the HDMI, Coaxial, or Optical terminals in Zone 2. Video cannot be sent to Zone 2.
- All Zone Stereo Function: The All Zone Stereo function allows you to enjoy the AV receiver's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2 simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types; analog or digital). During the All Zone Stereo, 2ch playback is automatically selected for all zones and each zone will play at the same volume level. This is useful when you want to enjoy the same music at the same time in multiple rooms during a get together or party.
Source Rename/Delete: You can change the display name (up to 8 characters) of a selected input source. If an input isn't being used, you can delete it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Panel Lock: To prevent accidental operation of this unit, you can disable operation of the buttons on the front-panel.
Dual Backup Memory Function: This receiver stores its settings in a nonvolatile memory even when the main power supply is turned off. Using the Dual Backup Memory function, you can write settings information to another memory area to back up saved settings for recovery anytime as needed.
- Personal Memory Plus: This function sets the settings (input mode, surround mode, HDMI output mode, MultEQ, Dynamic EQ, audio delay, etc.) last selected for the individual input sources.
- Last Function Memory: This function stores the settings which were made before going into the standby mode. When the power is turned back on, the settings are restored.
Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments.
Auto Standby: The unit enters standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (30 or 60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
IR Remote Control: The Marantz SR5008 comes with an IR wireless remote control that can operate this receiver only. The remote control features Glow keys so it can easily be used in the dark.
HDMI Control: The Marantz SR5008 can control select external audio/video components connected via HDMI which support HDMI control. When you make an HDMI connection with a TV or player compatible with the SR5008's HDMI control function, you can perform the operations from the SR5008's remote control; Power off, Switching of audio output devices, Switching of audio input devices, Volume adjustment, and Playback functions.
Marantz Remote App: The Marantz Remote App lets you control the Marantz Network A/V receiver using your Apple iOS (4.3 or later) or Android device. This free Remote App lets you control the Marantz A/V receiver's basic functions (power, volume, input, surround modes) from your Apple iOS or Android device. The multi-zone control page of the Remote App lets you adjust power, volume and input selection for all zones from a single screen (when applicable). You can even navigate the A/V receiver's network and Internet content from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. For added convenience, there are eight customizable home screen short cut buttons that allow you to tailor the look and function of the Marantz Remote App to suit your needs.
Note: Download the free Marantz Remote App from the iTunes App Store for the iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (iOS 4.3 or later). Or, download the free Marantz Remote App from the Android Market for your compatible Android device (1.5-up). The AV receiver will need to be connected to the same network as your Apple iOS or Android device.
Bluetooth Adapter (optional): Through its proprietary M-Xport, the SR5008 offers Bluetooth capability. Simply add the optional RX101 Bluetooth adaptor (642RX101, sold separately) to the SR5008 and you can play the music stored on any Bluetooth-enabled portable device (your iPhone, iPod Touch, or PDA for example) through your home theater system. The optional RX101 doubles as an IR (infrared) receiver so you can place all your components out of sight and still maintain full remote control.
Remote Connections: The Marantz SR5008 is fitted with the following custom remote inputs/outputs.
- Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the SR5008 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
- Flasher In: This 3.5mm input is used to control the SR5008 from an external key-pad (sold separately).
- DC Trigger Output: The DC trigger output (3.5mm) allows you to connect an external device so it can be turned on by the SR5008.
- RS-232C: The RS-232C port is to be used in conjunction with an external controller to control the operation of the unit by using an external device. The RS-232C port may also be used in the future to update the operating software of the unit so that it will be able to support new digital audio formats.
The Marantz SR5008 replaces these items
- 7-channel amplifier; 100 watts per channel with 2 channels driven
- built-in Apple AirPlay® for ultra-convenient iTunes® music playback
- Internet radio and digital streaming services available
3 questions already asked