About the Marantz SR7008
Setting the standard for home theater excellence
Setting the standard for home theater excellence
If you demand superior performance from your home theater, then check out Marantz's flagship receiver — the SR7008. It can power up to 9 speakers and has connections for two powered subwoofers, bringing your entertainment to life with rich, robust sound. With connections for stacks of A/V source components, this workhorse will let you get the most out of all your viewing and listening choices. Networking and built-in Apple AirPlay offer a world of streaming music at your fingertips. Extend your movies and music far beyond the confines of your home theater with three-zone capability and three HDMI outputs. It's all packed into this powerful home theater hub and backed by decades of Marantz engineering and expertise.
Get connected with wireless streaming and AirPlay
Take advantage of cloud-based music services as well as your own digital music collection by connecting the SR7008 to your home network. This receiver has built-in support for free Internet radio stations, Pandora®, and subscription services like Spotify® and SiriusXM. If you have a Wi-Fi® router, then use Apple AirPlay compatibility for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, or a computer running iTunes®. Access your entire digital music collection from the palm of your hand with your Apple® device. Or stream audio from any AirPlay-compatible app — like YouTube™ — to the SR7008 for playback over your home theater speakers. You can also stream music from PCs and select Android™ devices with DLNA-compatibility. AirPlay requires a wireless home network and a wired connection between the receiver and network.
Built on sound principles
When building audio/video components, Marantz pays careful attention to those little details that make the difference between good and superb performance. The proprietary Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module (HDAM) improves dynamic range and detail while minimizing noise to bring your music to life. A high-current power supply and direct mode further ensure you get the most out of your favorite tunes. High-quality 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converters can decode the latest high-resolution formats — even FLAC, WAV, and Apple Lossless files streamed wirelessly. If you're streaming low-bitrate files like MP3s, Marantz's Dynamic Audio eXpander improves sound quality by adding more depth to these compressed formats.
The SR7008's easy setup wizard walks you through the initial connections and settings.
Flexible multi-room setup options
With the SR7008's "power amp assign" feature, you'll have lots of options for speaker setup tailored to your gear. Use all nine channels in your home theater for room-filling 9.2-channel surround sound with Audyssey DSX or DTS Neo:X processing. Or reassign the "surround back," "front height," or "front wide" channels to power stereo speakers in a second and third room while still enjoying 5.2-channel sound in your main zone. You can also reassign those additional channels to bi-amp your compatible front speakers for even more detailed audio performance. Dual-zone HDMI outputs lets you watch one movie in your main room while the kids watch a TV show in another room. A third HDMI output is perfect for home theater rooms with a projector and an HDTV.
Fine-tune your system with Audyssey
Worried about making all the right connections? Marantz walks you through the process with the SR7008's easy setup assistant. It guides you step by step through placing and connecting your speakers, hooking up source components, and optimizing all the settings so it all sounds great in your room. Plus, Audyssey's acclaimed speaker calibration system will automatically take measurements and make adjustments to tune your speakers to match your room. Just plug in the included setup microphone and let the receiver do the rest.
Download the free Marantz Remote app to control the SR7008 with your smartphone.
App control for Apple and Android
Once you're set up, be sure to download the free Marantz Remote app for your Apple or Android smartphone or tablet. It offers intuitive touchscreen control of the SR7008 and is the easiest way to operate many of its features and settings. Choose your source, adjust the volume, and even select music from your DLNA-compatible music server or computer.
Power and Processing:
- 9-channel amplifier
- 125 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding, including Dolby Pro Logic® IIz and DTS Neo:X
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion (up to 1080p and 4K)
- Audyssey Laboratories' MultEQ® XT32 and Sub EQ HT eight-point auto setup and room calibration system (microphone included)
- Audyssey LFC (low frequency containment) system limits the amount of bass that leaks into other rooms
- Audyssey DSX® processing for enhanced surround sound height or width effects using additional front speakers
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume mode to keep listening levels steady
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ for fuller sound at lower listening levels
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- Internet-ready for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Spotify, Pandora, and SiriusXM (subscription required for some services)
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- DLNA and Windows® 8 compatible for streaming music with compatible devices and computers
- front-panel USB input gives you a direct digital connection for your iPod for improved sound quality
- add Bluetooth streaming capability with the Marantz wireless audio adapter
- three-room/three-source output
- HDMI dual-zone switching for watching HD content from different sources on two HDTVs simultaneously
- powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd and 3rd rooms (using powered 2nd- and 3rd room outputs allows 5.2 home theater in main room)
- power amp assign function lets you use surround back, front height, and front wide speaker outputs for Zones 2 and 3, Front B speakers, or bi-amping compatible front speakers
- supports 2nd and 3rd zone output from digital sources
Audio Performance Features:
- 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- Marantz's Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module (HDAM) offers improved dynamic range and detail while reducing noise
- current feedback circuit for accurate, natural sound at all volume levels
- Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander (M-DAX) improves sound quality of MP3s and other compressed digital music files
- high-current power transformer
- Pure Direct mode turns off unused circuitry for cleaner audio signals
- bi-amp capability with compatible front speakers by reassigning "surround back" channels
- HDMI 1.4a audio/video switching: 7 in (includes 1 front-panel input), 3 out (includes one Zone 2 output)
- component video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- composite video switching: 4 in (includes 1 front-panel input), 3 out (includes one Zone 2 output)
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 2 coaxial
- 6 analog stereo audio inputs (includes 1 front-panel input)
- 7.1-channel preamp inputs
- 11.2-channel preamp outputs include outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- phono input for connecting a turntable
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives and portable music players
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 11 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Height L/R, Front Wide L/R)
- receiver can power a maximum of 9 channels at once
- RS-232C input for use with external controllers
- remote control input/output
- IR flasher input
- 12-volt trigger output
- full-sized headphone jack
- detachable power cable
- 3D and 4K HDMI pass-through
- This receiver is not HDCP 2.2-compliant and will not support copy-protected 4K video content.
- streams photos from a DLNA-compatible computer or portable device for display on your TV
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- InstaPrevue offers live picture-in-picture preview of connected HDMI sources
- Setup Assistant guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- intuitive, full-color on-screen menu
- free downloadable Marantz Remote app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi® remote
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- Video Select lets you listen to music (network, iPod/USB, HD Radio, or phono) while watching video from a different source
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-5/16"W x 7-1/4"H x 16-13/16"D
- weight: 30 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SR-7008
What's in the box:
- 9.2ch AV receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC023SR)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Audyssey Setup Mic (ACM1HB)
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM (En/Fr/Sp)
- Getting Started guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- USA Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
- Important Safety Instructions
- Sheet of adhesive labels
Marantz SR7008 reviews
This is one powerful receiver. The flip side is heat...give it room to breathe. Give yourself time to wrap your mind around the features and benefits. This is my second Marantz receiver and I'm pleased with the brand.
Pros: Power, features, flexible settings, nice interface.
Cons: Get the extended warranty.
1 of 1 found this helpful
I just received this receiver a few days ago and haven't had the chance to run it through the ringer just yet but my initial impressions are outstanding. I got one heck of a deal on this receiver even though it is dated technology at this point. I had recently upgraded from a quite old Denon AVR-1609 and I can already tell a huge difference with digital sources and the full bodied richness of the sound this unit produces. It was a huge upgrade. The set up was pretty easy since it allows on screen setup through a monitor/TV and you don't have to worry about futzing around with the smaller displays on the unit itself. I have this paired with Klipsch reference bookshelf speakers and after listening to this thing for a couple days I will soon be upgrading to floor standing speakers. It has plenty of power so I can't even imagine bi-amping or going any further than this. While it does not have wifi or Bluetooth built in, iogear makes b/t and wifi adapters for less than 100 dollars together. It's still cheaper than going with the newer model that has those items built in. This unit probably won't be around for much longer as it has been superseded twice, but after my initial impressions I would absolutely recommend Marantz products to anyone hands down. Make absolutely sure that you allow enough room for ventilation around the receiver. It gets quite warm. Not hot to the touch or uncomfortable but quite warm.
Pros: easy set up, awesome sound processing, streamlined look
Cons: no wifi no bluetooth
0 of 0 found this helpful
I'v had my Marantz 2275 that I bought in 1973 that I used for music and thought I should upgrade a little. This new SR7008 has more to it than I'll probably use. It has lots of power. I have five Polk for the 5.1 surround for TV and movies and 2 Polk's for my records and CD's. The music does sound good I have heard things in my records and CD's that I did not hear befor. All the formats it has it really makes music sound good. The only thing is it's a big job to set it up. I still don't have it set all the way. I can't find were to set the bass and treble ? It don't come with a manual you have to download it and read it on your computer. It sounds good now can't wait till I get it all set up I'm doing a little at a time.
Pros: Has lots of in and outs for your HDMI your Digital HD2/HD Lots of Power Nice looking too
Cons: A lot to set up
1 of 1 found this helpful
This is one of the best receivers made, if you like quality sound. When I bought my first one a few years ago, which I still use ,( this is for another office set up), Anyway when I bought the fist one it was because the reviews said it was the best receiver you could buy for the price and I agree. Newer models have more bells and whistles that I don't need so I was glad to be able to still find a new one of these . And at a great price from Crutchfield, thanks Crutchfield!
0 of 1 found this helpful
Unbelievable receiver. For the price Crutchfield has these units going for now, they are hard to beat. I looked at more pricey options from Denon as refurbished but these units get you the full 3 years warranty and assurance. I moved up from an Onkyo 805 that finally had an HDMI issue. The Audyssey XT32 and dual sub EQ is worth the price of admissions. My 7.2 system sounds incredible and much better than before. Granted, it didn't sound bad in the first place but the additional clarity added with the upgrade in Audyssey is noticeable. I am not into Atmos or height or width speakers. In my dedicated room it would be overkill. So measure that when purchasing but if you are looking for a great bang for your buck, this is the model to get right now.
2 of 2 found this helpful
Just bought th 7008 model. Awesome pick. Easy and friendly set up with light up remote. One thing. This unit needs very good ventilation. It heats up and the fail safe is to shut off. Page 228 has the info on this.
1 of 1 found this helpful
I purchased this AMP to replace a Denon AMP and I was totally impressed. The Marantz has superior sound quality and I could not be more satisfied with its ability to play DVD Audio, the best of the best audio section.
3 of 4 found this helpful
This unit is awesome, Just need to tweak it some more, But, So far very satisfied. Lots of power.
1 of 1 found this helpful
This unit has plenty of power for my Bowers & Wilkins. I do have them Bi-Amped. It sounds clean and true to all the music I've tried on it. Movie settings are great too. I will say, unless you're a pro at setting these up you will need to make sure you can use the TV setup. Also get on the phone with Crutchfield tech support. They are essential to getting it right the first time. Great service and they care about the customer. I want to include that I have had a great experience with Crutchfield from the choosing process to buying to the tech support. Great company.
Pros: Awesome power and sound. Looks amazing. Good product.
Cons: not really enough to note.
2 of 2 found this helpful
After an extremely easy on- screen set-up and a few minor adjustments for personal preferences, I was immediately impressed by the clarity and depth of surround sound. The Audessey calibrating system easily and accurately figured out my room dynamics and figured out what needed to be done to make the receiver sound its best. Music is full and richer than expected making this receiver exceptional in this price range and beyond. Buy it! You will love it!
Pros: Powerful calibration system Great musicality Easy set-up
3 of 3 found this helpful
Excellent quality for the sale price. Although it is missing some of the newer features of the newer models, such as Bluetooth and AirPlay installed devices, this unit provides what is most important to me, high quality sound at a sale price. It was very easy to set up and sounds clear, crisp, and powerful. The newer models have features that I was looking for but I would have went with a different brand such as Yamaha to get more of the updated features, as the newer marantz are out my price range. This Marantz sr7008 is a great quality stereo at the sale price.
Pros: Quality, clarity, power,price
Cons: Lacking features provided on newer more expensive models
4 of 4 found this helpful
This thing is powerful and the sound is definitely huge I love denon products but this is better it seems to be fuller I used the microphone but wasn't that impressed called Crutchfield tech support which is awesome and they hooked me up but to fair to Denon I I did pay twice as much but you can tell a big difference
4 of 4 found this helpful
So far after inspecting the receiver I am very impressed. I have not hooked up yet because it is going in a new house and the house is not finished yet. Product looks amazing as far as quality. I'm very excited to hook it up. It will be powering a polk audio surround sound system and subwoofer that are backing a 60" Samsung TV, and polk audio outdoor speakers. I look forward to hearing its amazing sound quality and performance. Thanks a bunch Crutchfield!
1 of 8 found this helpful
Great sound! Easy setup.
Pros: High quality in all regards. Sound clarity exceeds my 4 year old Onkyo (which required 2 trips to the shop and ultimately failed).
Cons: 300 page manual (online only) convinces me I will never enjoy all the features and benefits.
6 of 7 found this helpful
I bought a new big screen TV 75 " Sony after my 72 " DLP failed after 10 years. We wanted to use my Denon AVR 3300 purchased back in 1999 with the new TV, but with all the new technology it's probably best that we buy a new amp too. I was looking for a deal as it was not which high end brand I bought but the sound clarity that it put out that was most important. The rep at Crutchfield recommend this unit, imm for Milyer with this brand from friends and family. I have a pair of paradigm monitor 90P's, a pair of paradigm phantoms and paradigm cc 350 center channel. My negative is it seems lacking on power that my Denon has, but the clarity is far superior. Online manual for the numerous features, I like having the owners manual in paper form ...... I understand why they don't give you one, lots of paper.
Pros: I guess everything.
Cons: I having to read the manual online, which is not that big of a deal. It will probably take me a while to figure out all the features I can use.
5 of 5 found this helpful
purchased the 7008 to update a 16 year old yamaha. the marantz produces mutch more vivid sound. easy to set up . had a couple things reversed like my rear surrounds. and it wont let you go further till you fix em.loved when the reciever prompted me there was an update to download.makes my equally old klipsch speakers sound new again.
Pros: easy set up. many hdmi ports. phono hook up with ground.
Cons: non so far
5 of 5 found this helpful
I'm hearing things on recordings I've not heard before. Good sound-stage, detail and imaging. Very high quality.
Pros: Sound quality. Ease of delivering power. Good dynamics. Superb service from Crutchfield.
Cons: Set-up is VERY tedious. The owners manual could be much more helpful explaining the choices and how to scroll through. I called Crutchfield twice during set-up and both Advisers were very friendly, patient and helpful.
6 of 6 found this helpful
I can't wait to turn it on, I've never heard anything like it.
Pros: 3 zones, amazing sound and my favorite thing is when you start airplay it will automatically start up and just rocks it.
Cons: I don't believe you can airplay in multiple zones but maybe I just haven't figured it out yet. This isn't really a con but it has so many capabilities that I haven't figured it all out.
5 of 6 found this helpful
I've been buying good receivers ($1000-1500 range) for 40 years, but none measures up to this Marantz. The first thing that shocks is the sound itself. I've always assumed the sound differences between receivers were not that noticeable, but as soon as I hooked up the speaker systems I had been listening to for years, I was floored by a rich clean sound I had never heard before. I run KEFs all around (with a Def. Tech sub) for home theater, and JBL 100s for music in the living room. Very different systems in very different environments, but they sound equally amazing. My theater room is much smaller than the living room, so I don't need ATMOS or anything more than 5.1 (if you do, the 7009 may be worth the extra $200). However with this receiver, 5.1 is a totally different experience. Sound comes not from the speakers, but from the room itself. Planes do not fly from one speaker to another, but overhead or behind from west to east. Honest, I'm never aware of speakers anymore. Part of this amazing surround sound probably comes from the improved Audyssey set-up (which also let me know one of my surrounds was out of phase). Finally, about Crutchfield: First, my two advisors were terrific. Second, the free 2 day shipping for this tank is a valuable freebie.
Pros: -Sound -Simple, guided set-up -Amazing versatility and options (e.g., I couldn't run whole home audio without the three zones and the assignable amps) -HD tuner -Great Internet connectivity (but you'll need an Ethernet cable) -Good, back-lit remote (simpler and more intuitive than earlier Marantz remotes) -Two great remote apps (DeRemote or Marantz) give you full control from anywhere in the house through your tablet or phone. -Apple air-play -Crutchfield's extraordinary service.
Cons: There is no printed manual, just a disc. You need to refer to the manual occasionally to understand the reveiver's sophisticated features and options. I printed the 300 pages off the CD and put them in a sturdy new binder with nice tabs.
11 of 11 found this helpful
Nice unit for the price, wish Marantz would reproduce old school receivers. ...like from the 70' but with some new features...
Pros: Matches my Marantz blu ray player, some weight to the unit, seems quality built
Cons: Below # 50 on volume scale, you can't hear source input, need Internet to utilize phone for sound adjustments, no balance , treble, or midrange knobs....also bass....is it truly 125 watts per channel
11 of 17 found this helpful
Purchased a Marantz SR7008 to replace my Pioneer 1015TX which failed to power the amp. I never had any complaints about the Pioneer, in fact it was a great unit. What an upgrade to the Marantz! I'm running a bi-amp 5.1 setup with Klipsch Synergy Series front, center, surround. I have a SUB-12, but it burned up and I need a replacement. I can't wait until I have room-shaking bass out of this unit. Comparing the Pioneer to the Marantz without the sub, the Marantz provides far better frequency range and automatic surround calibration (Pioneer MCACC vs. Marantz Audyssey). While I don't use the multi-room features, it certainly provides for future expansion. I highly recommend the Marantz SR7008.
Pros: Clear Sound, Great clarity at high-volume, great surround processing.
Cons: No WiFi or apple play.
10 of 10 found this helpful
So easy to use! Had a high end pioneer elite and this blows it away in both sound and features. I never thought a solid state receiver could sound so good. So glad I bought a marantz!
Pros: Great sound and ease of use.
5 of 5 found this helpful
My Reciever came quickly works and sounds great.
Pros: All of the options
3 of 4 found this helpful
Bought one and it died before speaker setup was completed. I returned it and received a replacement. It also died within the first 24 hours. I absolutely loved it, in the short time it was working. Needless to say I will not trust Marantz again.
Pros: Excellent sound and features. Ipod via USB can be displayed on tv and controlled by the Marantz remote. Network radio access seemed unlimited. You can type in a station and it will find if for you. Worldwide stations available. Format and ease of use was fantastic. Backlit, easy to use remote with readable keys.
Cons: Two units I received essentially D.O.A
10 of 13 found this helpful
The sound quality is amazing. Unlike the Onkyo I had prior, We could listen to this for hours without getting audio fatigue. It is a joy to listen to. Setup is easy with the exception of the Audessey. For some reason, even when you let the system know you have a subwoofer, it still sets your front speakers to full spectrum without any crossover. Bass management is just something you will have to do manually post-setup.
Pros: Ease of setup, sound quality, phono connection, aesthetics
Cons: Audessey Setup has some kinks
3 of 3 found this helpful
Great value! With the Marantz SR7008, my existing 9.1 surround system did not need new speakers. The quality of the sound produced by the nine surround speakers and one sub now far exceeds how the same speakers sounded when connected to two previous, older AVR's. The Marantz SR7008 HD Radio tuner and phono input help provide great sound for these two traditional music options.
Pros: Sound quality, ease of set up with speaker calibration software/hardware, flexibility of connecting/switching between various input options, HD Radio tuner, phono input, remote with illumination button and cool looks.
Cons: While the Marantz SR7008 just fits in my shelving, I wish the unit could be smaller without sacrificing options and dependability.
4 of 4 found this helpful
Great receiver. It was easy to set up and it sounds great.
Pros: Plenty of power, great surround sound processing, video is awesome
Cons: Network audio is not as good as I hoped
1 of 1 found this helpful
I'm not an experienced audiophile, but it's never to late to learn! There is no denying that the sound this puts out is amazing. I have them connected to 2 MartinLogan Motion 40s I just bought, a MartinLogan sub, and some other surround speakers that shall remain nameless since I Have to replace them. They're not worthy. I made use of the ability to run this system in 5.1 so I could bi-amp the speakers and have my bedroom speakers as Zone 2. I bought this mainly for music, but also enjoy movies at home, and watching TV. The music sounds great, although I haven't played much with the streaming options. Dialog is much easier to understand than before, even though I'm using the same mediocre center speaker. The setup was very easy, although it reported my less-than-stellar surround and center channel speakers as being out-of-phase. I've been listening to stereo only since then, but I'll be listening closely to the surround speakers to see if they sound right...I don't think they were connected wrong. So I'll have to do more movies and legit 5.1 music to make a firm conclusion. The sound is well-balanced throughout my listening range, at least. Very easy to discern the individual instruments. Not crazy about the front door, which has to be open to see the main display and access controls w/o the remote. I've listened to rock, blues, jazz, and orchestral and it all sounds great. I may add more to my review once I've used the movie options more.
Pros: Great sound, easy to setup, very configurable, great look. Lots of power!
Cons: The front door makes the appearance really sleek, but it has to be open to see the full display. The door also hides some of the controls...not huge issues. I wish the manual were printed.
4 of 4 found this helpful
Easy set up. It's been 10 years since my last upgrade. Love the sound and ease of set up. Menu is easy to use. Like the Audessy speaker mic. I have Sirius and the sound is great thru the direct network connection. So many features. Def a five star upgrade for me.
Pros: Easy set up. Ton of features.
Cons: Only minor complaint is the display is covered by a door that sticks out a little when open. Would have liked if it opened flat. May be in the way of a cabinet with a glass door. Mine is open so no worry.
3 of 3 found this helpful
After years of loyalty to Pioneer Elite, the death of the HDMI board on my SC-05 forced its retirement. Apparently, this wasn't an isolated incident, so time to shop for a new brand. I have had several Marantz products over the years with great success. The SR7008 was deeply discounted because it does not support HDCP 2.0. In my case, plans do not include a 4K projector any time soon, so this seemed like a small compromise to get a high unit well under retail. When the product arrived I was very anxious to try it out. Initial setup was pretty straightforward (or so it seemed). I used the automated Audyssy setup routines and settled in for a test run. At first, it seemed incredible. Crisp and tight with excellent distribution of the surround sound. The deeper I got in however the more evident it became that the bass setup was WAY off. The automated process essentially stripped the low end out of the equation (below 63Hz) After significant manual tuning I was able to get things back in-line. It then became possible to compare performance. All in all, this unit is very solid. The sound is clean and enjoyable to listen to. Had I NOT had almost 10 years of Pioneer Elite Class D ICE amps driving the listening experience, it would have been easy to think this thing was truly awesome. The features and ease of use (once you get it tuned) make it a very solid buy (especially at the deep discount). On a pure sound quality note however, it falls a tiny bit short.
Pros: Great looks and panel access Excellent surround performance Excellent video performance Its a Marantz
Cons: For a unit of this price (at retail) falls a bit short if looking for true audiophile sound.
6 of 6 found this helpful
First Marantz I received did not work consistently so Crutchfield promptly replaced it. New unit worked great even with my extended cable setup. I use Cat6 to extend HDMI to 50+ feet. Sound is amazing compared to my old Denon - I have old Bose 5:1 set up with powered sub. The movie sound selections are helpful as I use Apple TV to host my music/movie server. Wired internet not an issue as I have my router nearby. Very pleased with this unit and with Crutchfield service.
Pros: Amazing sound options
Cons: Would like specific buttons for zones and main rather than toggling.
2 of 2 found this helpful
Beautiful sound, relatively easy to set up. I am still exploring its features. Overall I am extremely satisfied. I did use the Audyssey set up for my 5.1 system, which also includes two front high speakers. Now I just need to add back surrounds. The hdmi pass through worked as expected. I was not yet able to get the hdmi arc return working yet, so I just added an optical cable.
Pros: Great value, especially at the price I bought it at. Easy set up. Excellent sound and function.
Cons: No owners manual (only a disc). I am a strong believer in getting a paper manual, even though it is nearly 300 pages. There is no hdcp2.2 with this set, however, all you have to do is send the signal to the tv and sound to the receiver.
3 of 3 found this helpful
Lots of features; plenty of good clean power; easy set-up and connections. Audyssey works well.
Pros: Very versatile and includes phono input.
Cons: Not necessarily a con, but it should have ventilation because it runs warm.
3 of 3 found this helpful
Excellent receiver! Easy setup. Fantastic sound. Great flexibility in uses.
Pros: Power. Flexibility. Sound.
2 of 2 found this helpful
Very nice Avr with plenty of power for my Power Sound Audio mt 100 l/r speakers. I like having the Airplay built into the Avr. Very clean and warm sounding.
Pros: price sound power
Cons: runs a little warm. Hoping the avr will last
1 of 1 found this helpful
I have always utilized marantz products and ahve never been disappointed. This is no exception
Pros: Exelent sound oan power to support my system
2 of 4 found this helpful
Easy to set up with the HDMI cables. Unit has 3 built in amplifiers, one for each of the 3 zones. I set mine up with 5:1 in main zone with 2 other stereo zones, and have good sound in all areas, can play different music in any of them at the same time. The "DeRemote" app is the best way to control the zones.
Pros: The Crutchfield pre-sales and follow up tech departments are outstanding. They are available 24-7 and everyone I spoke to was knowledgeable and clear. I am not a high end listener, but I know what I like, and the Marantz SR7008 serves my needs.
Cons: I would like to see the Zone feature on the remote expanded and also, be controlled with IR so that they can be learned by an all in one remote like the Harmony (as is, intuitive easy zone control requires the I-phone & the remote) We older listeners would like to have easier access to the Center Channel so movie dialogue can up adjusted up. Bass is a bit weak, but Crutchfield showed me a way around that in the main zone, but Zone's 2 and 3 are a bit shallow, good for my purposes.
10 of 10 found this helpful
Easy set up, very happy with purchase.
2 of 4 found this helpful
Marantz has made a very fine line of audio gear and this machine sits among the top of their receiver line. I found it to be very easy to set up with on screen menus. Once set up the unit works flawlessly and the sound is amazing. Music sounds natural and clear, while movies have a huge impact and are so much more entertaining. Marantz has made one fine machine with enough extras to keep me busy for a long time. Crutchfield was amazing and I will be back. Thanks.
Pros: Top tier machine that delivers all I needed and more.
2 of 3 found this helpful
Very pleased with my purchase. Still need more time to really test the performance of this remarkable receiver with future installments of additional audio components.
Pros: Very attractive unit.
5 of 6 found this helpful
I love this receiver , i replace Yamaha .Good time for delivery and i have good deal. The Marantz have nice soud
Pros: Beautiful for design
Cons: MDAx, AIDS SEE MULTI EQXT32
1 of 2 found this helpful
My home theater has come alive! It pretty much set up itself and connecting the receiver to my WIFI gives me access to anything I want from my home PC's to the internet. Pretty cool! I still need to set up zones 2 and 3 but I don't foresee any problems.
Pros: Setup was quick and easy. The instructions were very easy to follow and very well written. Kudos to the TechComm team for this manual. The connections are very well marked, well organized, and easy to find.
Cons: The instructions were only available via a PDF, I would prefer to have a hard copy.
6 of 7 found this helpful
Great product. Really nice build quality with a sound to match. The only downside to this unit is the size. While size might not be an issue for most, if you only have a very small rack/cabinet to put it in, make sure to measure before you buy! I have mine paired with B&W 600 series speakers and notice a definite improvement in sound quality compared to my outgoing Denon AVR-1909 (I know these are not comparable, and the Marantz is far more expensive). Really enjoying this upgrade.
Pros: Easy to setup, great sound quality, great build quality.
Cons: Large size
2 of 4 found this helpful
These days versatility is the name of the game and this receiver is versatile. I installed this for a customer and they are happy with the results.This is how the receiver is being used. The Main zone is running the theater room, with an Apple TV covering iTunes and Netflix duties ( Apple TV has a small digital to analog converter attached from the optical out so iTunes can be used in Zone 2 & 3 through the Media Player input ). Zone 2 is running the TV and audio on the back patio through the Zone 2 HDMI output and Zone 3 is running audio to the pool area. Can watch movie in the theater room, Dish network on the patio and listen to music by the pool all at the same time!! With the ability to run 9 channels simultaneously be sure if it is in a cabinet that it is well ventilated or have a small fan allowing heat to escape as the receiver can get hot.
Pros: Versatility and sound quality. Marantz receivers have nice smooth sound without the "Tinny" highs you can get with some other brands!!
Cons: Wish main Zone HDMI pass through would work without disabling or limiting other features being used.
4 of 4 found this helpful
All was well until the receiver keep going into protection mode while powering up. Even without anything connected. Beyond that it performed as expected.
Pros: 9.2 channel with amps - Audyssey XT32 (if you're an Audyssey fan) including separate subwoofer EQ - Marantz style - Unique crossover per speaker (pair).
Cons: Defective out of the box - See above.
5 of 5 found this helpful
Replaced a ten year old Pioneer Elite receiver with this Marantz. I was considering another Pioneer, but was seduced by the Marantz design. I wasn't disappointed in my purchase of the SR7008. The setup is very intuitive and user-friendly. The sound is amazing. I highly recommend this product.
Pros: Easy setup. Many features. Amazing sound. Great build quality.
Cons: Manual is on CD.....a "real" book would have been nice.
3 of 3 found this helpful
Very easy to setup and start listening. I picked the SR7008 after months of research and I am extremely glad I did, the sound is great and the volume level is exactly what I was hoping for (LOUD when needed). The HDMI arc function works great with my LG TV. Bi amping to my front speakers was easy, literally just a few clicks in the options menu and done. It has an attractive look and when pressing the buttons and turning the knobs, it feels sturdy and well built, nothing flimsy. Overall very happy with the SR7008.
Pros: option and setup menu over lays on your video screen. So you can still see your shows while you are doing little adjustments.
Cons: Big unit
4 of 4 found this helpful
Overall an excellent receiver. I'm driving Polk LSI 25's with this and using the 2 subwoofer outputs to independently drive each sub. Overall sound quality in a difficult room is excellent following a thorough Audessy config. Even with these speakers presenting a very low ohm load, the amp never seems to break a sweat.
Pros: Clarity, transparency, detail, smoothness and apparently endless power. Excellent Airplay and Marantz apps make this very versatile. Looks terrific.
Cons: I feel like I'm nitpicking here, but probably the only con is that the sound is the slightest bit lacking in warmth. This more to do with the speakers than the receiver, but it's the only con I have. I love this receiver!
3 of 4 found this helpful
Sound is great - only problem is setting up the three zones. Needed Tech Support to work me through it.
Cons: Users Manual should provide specific details on multiroom set up.
3 of 3 found this helpful
The amplifier arrived quickly and discretely in perfect condition, and the amplifier is well made, including the speaker terminals. More importantly, the sound is amazing after performing the Audyssey calibration. For the first time, an AVR sounds like my old integrated amp that I used in the 90s and the stereo sound is fantastic. In fact, I keep listening to CDs and digital files and I'm amazed at how well the stereo performance is with this amp. Presently, I seem to prefer the Audyssey stereo compared to Pure, but each mode offers differences in the sound quality and it's easy to pick one versus the other. With movies, the sound field is more precise with excellent dialogue and surround channel placement and volume.Also, my video is greatly improved with the amp and my projector image is greatly enhanced. If you're not ready to jump into the 4K and 3D audio world early like me, this amplifier is a great solution for the next few years until the standards and products fall into place. Also, the current price for this former top model is a complete bargain at this time and the sound quality is excellent.
Pros: HDMI switching, two HDMI outputs for TV and projector, network play of MP3 and FLAC files, internet radio, MDAX enhancement for MP3 files, Audyssey MultiEQ XT32
4 of 4 found this helpful
0 of 7 found this helpful
Love the features and versatility of equipment configurations. Audyssey speaker calibration very easy to use.
Pros: Easy to connect, configure, and use
Cons: Runs hot - be careful in an enclosed space
7 of 7 found this helpful
Wow! This receiver is simple to use and set up. The Audissey program is incredibly accurate. My older monitors sound incredible now.
Pros: Assignable monitor outputs for bi-amping.
1 of 2 found this helpful
Excellent receiver! Clean and powerful sound.
1 of 2 found this helpful
Replaced an older and very outdated Technics receiver. I'm by no means an audiophile, but I can appreciate and notice a huge difference in the quality of sound coming out of this receiver. I have it hooked up to my only two speakers - older Bose bookshelves - and I'm noticing sounds in music and movies that I've never noticed before. There are times when I look around the room thinking a certain sound is coming from something/somewhere else. I now plan to invest in some more speakers, to get the surround sound experience.
Pros: Excellent sound quality. Easy to setup.
Cons: Remote could perhaps be a bit simpler/easier to use.... but it's not that bad.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Replaced this with Onkyo 807 rec. so far this has been by far the best for sound from all the receivers, simple hook-up. DVD comes with receiver walks you thru. Even receiver walk you thru all setup. Very elegant case
Pros: superior in all aspects even for the price.
Cons: not any yet.
2 of 6 found this helpful
works as advertised, good sound
Pros: absolute simplicity in setup
Cons: a bit expensive would have liked an included cable to the AVR for 11 channels
8 of 16 found this helpful
After reluctantly deciding to replace my 30-year old Marantz receivers and associated jumble needed to make a home theater system, my main requirements were 1) do "everything" and 2) sound at least as good with stereo music as my old 2285 and 2385. The SR7008 does both. The first thing I did was compare the two for a few days each, simply playing music in the "direct" mode. SR7008 easily drives my speakers well beyond what I would ever play music or movies at and seems completely transparent--sounds exactly the same as my old 2285 with the same sources. Now for features. The primary selling points (for me) were 1) Audyssey XT32 2) Many inputs of all sorts 3) All sorts of digital compatibility-- FLAC, DSD, Pandora, iRadio, etc. 4) PC/Tablet/Phone control system 5) Movie and Surround processing--11.2 outputs and 9.2 amps, Dolby PLIIz, Audyssey DSX, etc. To be succinct: 1. Audyssey XT32 and DSX actually work. Nicely. The "wide" speakers are amazing with the right movie soundtrack. However, I definitely didn't like the result with music. I use the stereo in "Bypass L/R" mode. 2. Inputs galore, including the 7.1 analog and phone. And you can set levels! 3. Decodes 192/24 FLAC, DSD, everything. And perfectly Has more options and sources than I could ever use. 4. There are iOS, Android and PC control apps. They all work differently and are as buggy as a $20 motel. I use the remote and TV 5. This is a 9.2, not 11.2, even with external amps.
Pros: Excellent sound, has pre-outs for all channels, 9 amps!, dual sub-out, many, many features and superb quality everywhere. Can be set up in an endless number of configurations and zones. Lots of power, no need for external amps unless you use a lot of power, but has the line-level outputs if you decide to hang some external amps on. I got two MA-500 monoblocks to run my main 4-ohm speakers, but it turned out to be completely unnecessary.
Cons: Control apps (Android, PC) are mismatched, slow and buggy. Audyssey didn't impress me as much as I'd hoped, and you can't run height/wide/back surround even with external amps. Unit will get warm if you run it hard and while I understand the motivation to be "fanless", I personally would prefer a very quiet fan and longer component life. Porthole display could display useful information but it doesn't--so you end up leaving the front panel open if you want to see what is going on.
40 of 40 found this helpful
I'm no "audiophile", so my street cred is limited to the other 99.9% of mere audio-mortals. This receiver rocks. Great power, extremely easy-to-use manual (albeit, downloadable only), all the features I would want/need and then some. I'm a boomer, so am more interested in basic functionality and quality than whiz-bang features I never use. This is a surprisingly neutral receiver coming from Japan, very balanced sound (not bright or shrill, neither muddy), with enough oomph to wow the neighbors. Though it's definitely not entry-level, it's very easy to set up if you just (a) read the manual before you start running wires, then (b) read it again and follow the directions as you go. Same with the Audyssey's MultEQ XT32. Follow directions for excellent results. Video is what you'd expect from a newer product, which is to say, excellent. No complaints thus far.
Pros: Very high quality product, excellent audio and video. Best manual for setup ever, with very understandable language. You needn't be an expert to figure this beast out IF you take the time to read the manual.
Cons: No paper manual. I get the utility in that, but for a receiver at this price, you'd think...
27 of 29 found this helpful
2 of 26 found this helpful
This was purchased as a replacement for Marantz NR1501 Overall, I am pleased with it. I bought it for Audyssey XT32. It is a improvement over MultEQ. How much is hard to guess. Maybe 30% ?? The new sound modes are quite impressive. I was able to add front wide speakers & that was a noticeable improvement for both music & movies. Marantz has chosen to disable tone controls when using Audyssey. A decision I disagree with. The port hole is worthless at a distance of about 10 feet as is becomes too small to read. I know I do not fit the in with the younger generation by saying that they could have left out anything to do with connecting with the internet. It is a duplication of things I don't use anyway. My TV does internet & so does my DVD player. If I wanted to do internet, it does not do WIFI, which my TV & DVD player do. I feel that this product is over priced about $500.
Pros: Sound quality. Audyssey XT32. New sound modes.
Cons: Too many buttons on the remote. Selection method for the various sound modes. Value for money spent. No printed manual. No ability to do updates via flash memory & the USB port. Style or appearance. Size, does it really need to be this big?
24 of 42 found this helpful
My Marantz SR7008 arrived a few days ago and I am still getting use to all its numerous functions but to date I can add a few thoughts about this unit. I am replacing my prior Marantz SR7500 which served me well but was in need of upgrading. The SR7008 appears to be an awesome unit although with all the new functionality you have to learn it makes you feel like you are back in college study for an examine. The sound quality is outstanding, connecting components is easy as the on-screen menu takes you through the process quickly and the step by step guide is extremely easy to understand and follow. Functionality and control over setting up your system to fit your room acoustics or your personal listening taste is robust and if you need detailed information the supplied instruction manual on CD makes quick work of finding any additional or specific details. The remote control is straight forward and easy to use although you must read the instructions first to understand how to engage all the different input and signal processing options. I particularly like the multiple speaker setup you can facilitate with this receiver. Currently, I have my speakers in a 9/1 arrangement but you can add two additional speakers either as wide or height speakers with an additional subwoofer in a blow you away configuration. This only addresses your main room setup, you have not even touched the other zones. I will give more impressions as I spend more time with this unit. So Far - AWESOME!
Pros: Awesome sound quality and functionality with abundant power, on-screen menu is easy to follow and takes you through setup quickly and efficiently. If flexibility with adding speakers are what you are looking for this receiver has it all with the ability for placement of 11 speakers and two subwoofers as part of you main room listening setup. Sound qualify and movie sound imaging is in a word is Outstanding!
Cons: A lot to learn about capabilities and full functionality of the SR7008 and it can be a bit intimidating but provided manual on CD takes you through all functions or arrangements you might want to try with this receiver.
53 of 54 found this helpful
More details on the Marantz SR7008
Features & specs
9-Channel Discrete Amplifier: The Marantz SR7008 is equipped with a power amplifier that reproduces high-fidelity sound in surround mode with equal quality and power for all channels, true to the original sound. The power amplifier circuit adopts a discrete-circuit configuration that achieves high-quality surround sound reproduction. The nine channel amplifier is rated at 125 watts with 2 channels driven (20-20kHz, 8-ohms, 0.08% THD).
Amplifier Assignment: The Marantz SR7008 supports up to 9.2 channels (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Height L/R, Front Wide L/R & Dual SW) for surround sound playback. The AV receiver also supports Front speaker bi-amplification and powered Zone 2/3. The AV receiver offers eleven pair of speaker inputs. By connecting all speakers in advance, audio playback can be automatically switched between the surround back, front height, and front wide speakers corresponding to the sound mode and input signals.
- 9.1ch (SB/FH/FW): Assigns all power amplifiers within the receiver for the Main Zone. In this configuration, up to 11 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Height L/R, & Front Wide L/R) can be connected to the AV receiver for up to 9.1ch playback in the main zone. The receiver will automatically switch between the Surround Back (Dolby Digital/DTS), Front Height speaker (Dolby Pro Logic IIx) or Front Wide (Audyssey DSX) speakers based on the the source material you are listening to. You must use a separate amplifier to power Zone 2/3.
- 7.1ch (Bi-Amp): Assigns all amplifiers of the receiver to the Main Zone with the front speakers bi-amped. Up to nine speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, & Surround Back L/R [Front Height]) can be connected to the AV receiver for up to 7.1ch playback in the main zone. The receiver will automatically switch between the Surround Back and Front Height speakers (cannot play both at same time). The Front Wide amplifier channels of the AV receiver are reassigned to bi-amp the front speakers. A bi-amplification connection uses two amplifiers for one speaker. One amplifier is connected to the woofer section of a loudspeaker while the other is connected to the combined midrange and tweeter section. With this arrangement each amplifier operates over a limited frequency range, making its job easier. Front Wide speakers are not available. Zone 2/3 speakers must be powered by a separate amp.
- 7.1ch + Zone 2: The SR7008's nine amplifier channels can be configured as Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R (Front Height L/R), and Zone 2 for Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic IIx 7.1ch playback in the main zone and 2ch PCM playback in the second zone. The receiver will automatically switch between Surround Back and Front Height speakers (cannot play both at same time). Front Wide speakers are not available. A separate amp must be used to power speakers in Zone 3.
- 7.1ch + Front B: Assigns seven amplifier channels (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, & Surround Back L/R [Front Height]) of the receiver to the Main Zone for up to 7.1ch playback and two amplifier channels to power another pair of speakers, often called "Speaker B". The receiver will automatically switch between Surround Back and Front Height (cannot play both at same time). Front Wide speakers are not available. A separate amplifier must be used to power Zone 2/3.
- 5.1ch (Bi-Amp) + Zone 2: Up to seven speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, and Zone 2) can be connected to the AV receiver. The Surround Back amplifiers of the AV receiver are assigned to bi-amp the front speakers, while the Front Height/Front Wide amplifier channels of the AV receiver are assigned to power a pair of speakers in Zone 2. A separate amp must be used to power Zone 3. Surround Back, Front Height, and Front Wide speakers are not available.
- 5.1ch + Zone 2/3: Up to nine speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Zone 2, and Zone3) can be connected to the AV receiver. The Surround Back amplifiers of the AV receiver are assigned to amplify a pair of speakers in Zone 2, while the receiver's Front Height/Front Wide amplifiers are assigned to power a pair of speakers in Zone 3. Surround Back, Front Height, and Front Wide speakers are not available.
Exclusive HDAM & Current Feedback Technology : Incorporating technology derived from Marantz's Reference Series components, the SR7008 features Marantz's exclusive HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) system, which combines ultra fast slew rate and maximum dynamic range to deliver optimum sound quality with today's high resolution audio formats. The SR7008 also incorporates Current Feedback instead of the typical voltage feedback configuration. Current Feedback technology provides a wide closed-loop bandwidth and very high slew rate, delivering superior audio fidelity
High Current Power Supply: The Marantz SR7008 AV surround receiver employs a high current linear power supply with an EI core power transformer for high-quality sound playback.
24-bit/192-kHz DACs w/ PLL Jitter Reducer: The Marantz SR7008 utilizes a 192 kHz/24 bit D/A converter on each of the unit's seven channels for exceptional sound quality. The 192kHz sampling and 24-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings. In addition, the SR7008 uses Marantz's Hybrid Phase Lock Loop Jitter Reducer to improve sound localization, reproducing a broad and natural soundstage.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Marantz SR7008 is equipped with a high-resolution Analog Devices (ADSP21487) 32-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP). All elements of the Surround Processor are optimized to the highest standards by the use of selected high performance and discrete components, particularly the A/D and D/A converters and the sophisticated DSP surround decoder. The SR6007 is equipped with various surround modes to reproduce a variety of surround sound effects, according to the content of the source to be played. The receiver features Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD decoding; as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic II (x/z) audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby, Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6, DTS Neo:X
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic IIz
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the A/V receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Audyssey Technology: The Marantz SR7008 features a full package of Audyssey audio technologies for optimal sound quality. Audyssey Dynamic Volume offers real-time volume adjustment, while Audyssey DynamicEQ improves your system's surround effects during low volume levels. Audyssey MultEQ XT32 automatically sets speakers and subs to suit your room's listening environment and the speakers' characteristics. The SR7008 also features two Audyssey technologies (Sub EQ HT & LFC) designed to optimize bass performance. The AV receiver even offers Audyssey DSX which adds front speaker effects.
- Audyssey MultEQ XT32: Audyssey MultEQ XT32 technology
helps create an optimal acoustic profile for your home theater. Using the
included setup microphone, Audyssey MultEQ XT32 measures sound levels and
adjusts speaker configuration accordingly, making setup fast and easy. This
room acoustic measuring and correction system analyzes (via the included
microphone) the audio characteristics of your speaker system and your
listening environment at up to 8 measurement points and automatically
tailors the sound for top audio fidelity. You can set the Audyssey MultEQ XT
to one of the following modes.
- Audyssey: Optimizes the crossover point, output level, delay time, and equalization of all speakers based on speaker frequency response, speaker location, and room acoustics.
- Audyssey Bypass L/R: Optimizes all speakers except front left and right.
- Audyssey Flat: Optimizes frequency response of all speakers to flat.
- Manual: Adjusts the tonal quality for each speaker individually using the manual equalizer settings (63 Hz, 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1 kHz, 2 kHz, 4 kHz, 8 kHz, and 16 kHz); from -20 to +6 dB .
- Off: Turns equalizer off.
- Audyssey Sub EQ HT: Audyssey Sub EQ HT provides individual tailoring for each subwoofer in a dual subwoofer setup, delivering the optimum combination of highest deep bass output and lowest distortion.
- Audyssey LFC: Audyssey LFC processing analyses and processes bass content on a continuous basis and custom tailors the sound via advanced psychoacoustic algorithms to deliver dynamic bass response within the listening room without annoying family members or neighbors in adjacent rooms.
- Dynamic EQ: Audio engineers mix music and movie soundtracks at reference levels much louder than typical home listening levels. At lower volumes the human ear perceives sound differently; voices change, bass dissipates, and the surround effect becomes less enveloping. Dynamic EQ adjusts the frequency response curve based on volume to maintain consistent bass output, octave-to-octave balance, and surround impact, resulting in rich sound at any volume. You can set the Dynamic EQ to 0, 5, 10, or 15 dB.
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume solves the problem of large variations in volume level between television programs, commercials, and between the soft and loud passages of movies. Dynamic Volume addresses the issue of commercials that are too loud and movie soundtracks with vast differences between soft and loud passages; the results are more intelligible dialogue, loud passages maintain impact, and soft whispers are heard clearly. When the volume level changes, Dynamic EQ also adjusts the frequency response to maintain sound quality. You can set the Dynamic Volume to Day (low), Evening (middle), Midnight (high), or off.
- Audyssey Dynamic Surround Expansion (DSX): Audyssey DSX adds front effect speakers to improve spatial sound reproduction. Starting with a 5.1 channel system, DSX adds front Wide and/or front Height channels for better sound staging (although both wide and height speakers can be added, only one pair is used at a time). DSX also applies Surround Envelopment Processing to enhance the blend between the front and surround channels.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music Settings: While listening in
the Dolby Pro Logic II Music format, there are three further enhancements
you can adjust:
- Panorama: Broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect, especially effective when there is limited output from the surround channels, panorama can be turned on/off in the menu.
- Dimension: Allows you to move the sound field forward or backward.
- Center Width: Allows you to adjust the width of the center channel.
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 7 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
- Height Gain: Adjust the volume (Low/Mid/High) of the Front Height channels in Dolby Pro Logic IIz.
- Stage Height/Width: Adjust the sound stage width/height (+/-10dB) when using Front Height or Front Wide speaker in Audyssey DSX.
Stereo Modes: The Marantz SR7008 surround receiver also provides two-channel stereo and multi-channel stereo playback, as well a virtual surround from two stereo speakers.
- 2CH Stereo: This is the mode for playing in 2-channel stereo; bass and treble can be adjusted and sound is output from the front left and right speakers, along with a connected subwoofer.
- Multi-Channel Stereo: This mode lets you enjoy stereo sound from all speakers.
- Virtual Speaker: Enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones.
Direct Modes: The Marantz SR7008 offers two Direct sound modes which offer high-quality sound by bypassing the receiver's DSP & video circuitry.
- Source Direct: In this mode the 2ch audio signal is played in its original form, without any surround or tone processing. Multichannel audio signal is played in its original form, without any tone processing.
- Pure Direct: This mode is for playback in higher sound quality than in Direct mode. The display and analog video circuitry are turned off to minimize the possibility of any noise being added to the signal.
Audio Enhancements: The Marantz SR7008 receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- M-DAX: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The M-DAX function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- HT-EQ: The tonal balance of a film soundtrack will be excessively bright and harsh when played back over audio equipment in the home. This is because film soundtracks were designed to be played back in large movie theater environments. Activating the receiver's HT-EQ feature when watching a film made from movie theaters corrects this and restores the correct tonal balance.
- Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
- Tone Settings: You can independently adjust the system's overall Bass and Treble settings from -6 to +6 dB. You can also fade the sound from front to rear, or vice-versa.
Level Adjustments: The SR7008 provides the following level adjustments.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
- Dialogue Level: You can adjust the output level (+/-12dB) to clarify the dialogue output from the center channel.
- Subwoofer Level: You can set the receiver's subwoofer output level (+/-12dB) independent from the other speaker levels and system's main volume.
Volume Settings: The SR7008 offers the following volume settings.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB).
- Volume Limit: You can set a maximum volume level of 0dB (80), -10dB (70), or -20dB (60) to limit the receiver's total volume output.
- Turn-On Volume: You can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on (0, 1-98, -79 to +18dB, or Last)
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Marantz AV receiver offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Assignable Digital Inputs: The SR7008 features two optical digital (Toslink) inputs and two coaxial digital inputs. Each input can be assigned to any of the different input sources except Tuner.
- Phono Input: The Marantz SR7008 is fitted with a Phono input (MM), so you can connect your turntable and listen to your vinyl records with high-quality sound.
- 7.1 Channel Input: The SR7008 features a 7.1 Channel input (Front left, Front right, Center, Surround left, Surround right, Surround Back left, Surround Back right and Subwoofer) for connecting a DVD Audio player, Super Audio CD multi-channel player, or other component that has a multi-channel port so you can playback the audio with 5.1 channel or 7.1 channel surround sound. If you will not be using the 7.1 channel input with a multi-channel decoder, you can use the front and left inputs as an auxiliary input.
- 11.2ch Pre-Out: The A/V receiver features 11.2ch pre-outs (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Height L/R, and Front Wide L/R, and Dual Subs) for connection to external power amplifiers. The pre-outs are variable.
- Speaker Terminals w/ Color Labels: The receiver has binding-post terminals for all speaker connections. The binding-post terminals can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single/dual). The receiver will accept speaker impedances of 6 to 8-ohm. The AV receiver comes with color labels to easily identify which channel a speaker cable should be connected to. Since the speaker cables have labels in the same colors as the connectors on the SR7008's rear panel, there's no longer any confusion about which terminals they should be connected to.
- Headphone Output: The receiver features a 1/4" stereo headphone jack on its front panel for connecting a pair of optional headphones. The unit's speakers will automatically be turned off when a set of headphones are connected.
7 HDMI Inputs/3 Outputs: With seven HDMI v1.4 inputs (6 rear/1 front), the Marantz SR7008 allows you to route multiple high-definition devices, such as your Blu-ray player and cable/satellite receiver, to your TV. It also allows you to connect all of your devices to up to three TVs with a HDMI cable (via its three HDMI outputs; two parallel and one discrete), reducing cable clutter. The two parallel HDMI outputs distribute the same video signal simultaneously to two separate displays. The discrete HDMI output allows you to play a different audio/video source in another zone. The HDMI inputs are assignable to different input sources. The AV receiver's HDMI connections are compatible with 3D signals, ARC, Deep Color, xvYCC technology, Auto LipSync, and HDMI control.The HDMI inputs/outputs support the 4K high-resolution video standard, allowing you to play 4K videos on compatible displays and projectors. The receiver supports both 4K (3840 x 2160) pass-through and 4K upscaling technologies.
- 4K Pass-Through: 4K Pass-Through allows the Marantz SR7008 to receive super high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K compatible TV or display monitor. This ensures compatibility with the latest super high resolution video formats.
- 3D Ready: With the advent of 3D media, it is important to own a receiver that recognizes 3D video signals. The SR7008 is able to pass through 3D signals from your Blu-ray player, ensuring that the 3D effect doesn't get lost in translation. It also recognizes signals from 3D television broadcasts. By connecting a 3D-compliant Blu-ray disc player and 3D-compliant TV to the SR7008, you will have a 3D home theater where you can enjoy high-definition sound and video on a level you've never experienced before.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The SR7008 also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- Auto LipSync: This feature automatically compensates for the timing shift between the audio and video of the receiver. If needed, the audio signal can be manually delayed to match the video signal; adjust from 0-200ms.
Note: The AV receiver's HDMI jacks do not support the latest HDCP 2.2 copyright protection for 4K ultra-HD content, so it will not support 4K content from satellite/cable providers, online video services, and Blu-ray disc which are copyright protected with HDCP 2.2.
Analog Video Inputs: The receiver features four composite video inputs (3 rear/1 front) and 3 composite video outputs (Monitor/Rec-Out/Zone2); supports up to 480i. There are also three component video inputs (60MHz) and one component video monitor output (assignable to Zone 2); supports up to 1080p.
Analog-to-HDMI Conversion w/ Video Scaling (4K): The SR7008 is equipped with a flexible video switching system that converts incoming analog video signals to HDMI and scales them to a higher resolution, so only one video connection is required from the receiver to the TV. HDMI input video signals can also be scaled to a higher resolution. The scaled output resolution is set in the receiver's menu.
- Composite Video to HDMI: Composite video signals (480i only) can be scaled to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 108p, or 4K through the receiver's HDMI output.
- Component Video to HDMI: Component video signals (480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p) can be scaled to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p or 4k through the receiver's HDMI output.
- HDMI to HDMI: HDMI video signals (480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p/4K) can be scaled to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 4k through the receiver's HDMI output.
Note: The receiver's HDMI Zone 2 output does not support analog-to-HDMI conversion, nor does it support HDMI-to-HDMI scaling.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When the AV receiver is in "Standby" mode and the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled, both audio/video streams from the receivers HDMI input will be output to your television, via the AV receiver's HDMI monitor output. Once the receiver is turned "On", only video will pass through the monitor output to your TV and the audio is directed to the receiver's speaker outputs.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
InstaPrevue: HDMI InstaPrevue Technology provides live video thumbnails of the available content on your devices connected to the receiver via HDMI 1 through 6 inputs (the HDMI 7 input does not support InstaPrevue). As a result, you can preview audio/video streams coming from up to 5 HDMI inputs previously assigned to input selectors on your HDMI connected TV, while enjoying viewing another source input.
Picture Mode: The receiver provides Picture Mode to adjust the picture quality for your viewing content and environment. You can select from Standard, Movie, Vivid, Streaming, Custom, or Off. The Custom mode lets you manually adjust Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Hue, Noise Reduction, and Enhancer (sharpness).
Video Select Function: You can switch the video input source on the receiver while listening to a different audio signal.
Network Connection: The Marantz SR7008 is equipped with an Ethernet (RJ-45) port that lets you connect the receiver to your home network (LAN) and your broadband internet provider. When connected to your home network, the SR7008 lets you listen to Internet radio and a host of other online music sources from your broadband internet provider, as well as play audio files & display still images from your computer via its network connection (DLNA 1.5 certified). The SR7008 also supports AirPlay that lets you stream your music library from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or iTunes. This unit's RJ-45 Ethernet port supports 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX and requires an Ethernet (LAN) category 5 or higher cable, Router, Modem, and Internet connection.
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The SR7008 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7 compliant for audio and photo networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music and still-images (JPEG) stored on your Windows PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through the A/V receiver and view still-images on your connected TV, or use the SR7008's remote control to browse music & photo files on your hard drive. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed the unit's front-panel display or on-screen menu. In addition the unit will display Album Art on a connected television. The Marantz SR7008 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/20/24-bit||.flac|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
Online Services: The Marantz SR7008 lets you access Internet Radio, as well as other online music and photo services from your broadband Internet connection. Currently the SR7008 supports Internet Radio from vTuner, Pandora, Spotify, and SiriusXM; as well as the Flickr online photo sharing site (as of 3/19/2013). The Marantz receiver offers on-screen menu display and control over these web services.
|vTuner||The online vTuner service which offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. Internet Radio stations in MP3 (32-320kbps) and WMA (48-192kbps) format are supported. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites. You can store up to 56 Internet Radio stations as presets. The unit will automatically save up to 20 of the most recently played stations.|
|Once the network audio player is registered with your Pandora account, you can listen to the automated music recommendation and Internet Radio service. You can create up to 100 personalized radio stations. You can sort tracks within these radio stations. You can skip up to 6 tracks that are being played back within 1 hour. You can also thumbs-up/thumbs-down and bookmark tracks. In Pandora, you can search for the track name or artist name using "keyword" searches. When the search is complete, tracks that have a similar rhythm or sound are streamed.|
|Spotify||Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists. A Spotify Premium subscription is required.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.|
|Flickr||Flickr is an online photograph sharing service that started in 2004. You can use this unit to view photographs on a connected TV that have been made public by Flickr users. You will need to setup an Flickr account to download, upload, and view photographs.|
Favorites: You can add up to 100 items as "Favorites" from Internet Radio, online music services, and your media server for easier, quicker access.
HD Radio Tuner: In addition to receiving standard analog AM and FM broadcasts, the SR7008 features a built-in HD Radio tuner. HD Radio technology brings digital radio to conventional analog AM and FM radio stations, with improved sound quality, better reception, and new data services. HD Radio technology provides CD-quality sound for FM stations, and FM-quality sound for AM stations. In addition, FM HD Radio station can transmit multiple programs on the same frequency by using multicast channels. Text data display includes station name, song title, artist name, etc.
- Station Text: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles.
- Multicasting: Many HD Radio stations also offer more than one channel of programming. This service is called multicasting.
- Station Presets: You can store up to 56 radio stations presets (8 stations each in 7 separate banks) and name each preset with an 8 character ID.
- Direct Frequency Tuning: You can enter the receiving frequency directly to tune in a station, using the supplied IR remote control.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to www.hdradio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Web Control: You can control this A/V receiver from a web control screen on your Windows PC's web browser. The SR7008 and your PC must be connected to the same home network.
HEOS Multiroom Compatible: Thanks to the AV receiver's network and IP control capability, it can be integrated into a HEOS whole home audio system via the HEOS Link (sold separately) and the HEOS app for Apple iOS (7.0+) & Android OS (2.3+). The HEOS Link connects to the AV receiver's Zone 2 preouts and a set of stereo RCA inputs or optical digital input on the receiver. Now, you can send the receiver's Zone 2 audio to other HEOS speakers in different rooms of your home, as well as play back audio from other HEOS devices through the AV receiver. From the app on your mobile device, you'll be able to control the receiver along with other HEOS gear and listen to music throughout your home. The HEOS wireless multi-room sound system can support up to 32 HEOS products (sold separately) on a single wireless network.
- Music: You can select which source you want to listen to from the app. Choose from the receiver's Zone 2 audio, the Link's built-in online music services (like TuneIn, Pandora, Spotify Connect, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, Amazon Music or TIDAL, ), the music library on your mobile device), and more.
- Rooms: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select which rooms you want playing. You can play the same music in multiple rooms by grouping rooms together, or you can listen to a different source in each room.
- Groups: You can join or group up to eight individual HEOS devices into a group that function as if they were a single speaker. The HEOS App is also flexible enough where you can create up to 16 Groups (2 HEOS products per Group).
- Party Mode: You can easily group eight rooms together into Party Mode by using a "pinch" gesture.
Note: The AV receiver only allows one IP connection for control. If the receiver is already being controlled by a 3rd party control system via IP, then the HEOS Link will not be able to control it.
Software Updates: Using the receiver's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. Visit Marantz's Owner's Circle for access to downloads to keep the Marantz receiver up-to-date. The tested Marantz SR7008 contained firmware version 5330-9136-7591 (as of 7/23/2013).
AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.1+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the AV receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the AV receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the AV receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the AV receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
Note: To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 4.3 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Marantz AV receiver is fitted with a front-panel USB (type-A) port and HDMI port for playback of audio and video files from select iPod, iPhone, or iPad devices.
- Audio Playback: The SR7008 supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the AV receiver, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can search for stored music on your iPod/iPhone/iPad by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Song/artist information and Album Art from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV via HDMI.
- Video Playback: You can also view video from stored movies and movie apps from select iPods, iPhone, and iPads by connecting your Apple device to the AV receiver's front-panel USB and HDMI input. Use the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (472LT2HDMI sold separately), the Apple Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (5th gen), iPhone 5, iPad 4, or iPad mini to the AV receiver. Use the Apple Dock-to-Digital AV Adapter (47230PHDMI, sold separately), the Apple Dock-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (4th gen), iPhone 4/4S, or iPad (1/2/3). Use the Apple Composite AV cable (sold separately) for older video-capable iPod/iPhone/iPad devices w/ 30-pin connector. Video from your iPod/iPhone/iPad can only be navigated from your Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen (select Simple mode on receiver).
Note: Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 1A). This unit will not charge the iPad.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The SR7008 is "made for iPod/iPhone compatible" and supports the following iPod/iPhone models and functions via its front-panel USB port (as of 9/24/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
USB Port: A USB memory device can be connected to the USB (type-A) port located on the front-panel, allowing you to play various music files and JPEG still-image files through the receiver. The USB memory device must be mass storage class (msc) or media transfer protocol (mtp) compliant, and be formatted in FAT16 or FAT32. The unit can recognize up to 500 folders/5,000 files. In addition to music and still-image playback, the A/V receiver supports basic playback control, song/artist information display, and charging (5V/1A) of your connected USB mass storage class device. The Marantz SR7008 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its USB (type-A) connection.
Note: USB memory device will not work via a Hub. It is not possible to connect and use a computer via the unit's USB port using a USB cable.
Compatible Audio Formats Sampling Frequencies Bit rate Extension WMA (Windows Media Audio) 32/44.1/48 kHz 48-192 kbps .wma MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3) 32/44.1/48 kHz 32-320 kbps .mp3 WAV 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz 16-bit .wav MPEG-4 AAC 32/44.1/48 kHz 16-320 kbps .aac/.m4a/.mp4 FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz 16/20/24-bit .flac ALAC 32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz N/A .m4a
On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Wizard (via HDMI): With the on-screen graphical display that combines large clear text and colorful icons, plus the Marantz Setup Assistant, setup is both simple and quick, letting you easily make all necessary adjustments and settings to quickly and easily optimize the SR7008 for your particular speaker configuration and source equipment. When you control the sound volume, the volume level is displayed on the screen, and when you switch the input source, the name of the input source is displayed. The on-screen menu display can only be output to your TV via HDMI.
Note: The receiver's front-panel LCD window only displays source input and volume. You will need to connect this receiver up to your TV via HDMI to configure speaker, network, input, and system settings through the AV receiver's on-screen menu.
Multi-Source/Multi-Zone: Marantz's Multi-Zone/Multi-Source function lets you select different audio/video sources for listening and viewing in different locations of your home. The SR7008's Zone 2 offers audio/video playback, while Zone 3 offers audio only playback. This unit is also quipped with an HDMI Zone 2 output connector for transfer of audio/video from connected HDMI sources to Zone 2. The source can be the same for all zones, or you can enjoy 3 different sources in those zones if you prefer.
- Audio/Video Zone 2: Zone 2 allows stereo audio/video playback of another A/V source connected to the receiver in another room of your home via left/right RCA audio or speaker terminal output connections and composite or component video. To enjoy a video source in Zone 2, you must connect the same video connection to your second display monitor as connected to your receiver for that particular source (there is no video-conversion for Zone 2). Zone 2 features either a preamp-output or speaker terminal output so you can use this amp or a separate amp to power speakers in another room. When using the SR7008 to power speakers in a second room of your home, the main zone is restricted to 5.1-channel. When using the receiver's preamp output terminals for the second room you need an additional amplifier in that room to power those speakers; the main Zone of the receiver remains 7.1-channel. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Marantz receiver using either configuration or from your add-on amplifier when using the line-output. You can select tuner, analog audio/video, optical/coaxial digital (2ch PCM only), USB/iPod, and Network/AirPlay sources for playback in Zone 2. You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations or different Network content for different zones.
- HDMI Zone 2: The SR7008 incorporates multi-zone HDMI audio/video distribution for Zone 2 with the inclusion of its HDMI matrix switching functionality. The receiver can send two different HDMI video feeds to two displays at the same time directly from the receiver. HDMI Zone 2 also supports 2ch PCM audio from the HDMI input source selected. The HDMI Zone 2 function is only compatible with the HDMI 1-6 input connectors. It is not compatible with the HDMI 7 input connector. The volume of HDMI Zone 2 will be controlled by your TV or additional receiver in Zone 2.
- Audio Only Zone 3: Zone 3 allows you to play a different stereo audio source connected to the receiver in a third room of your house. Zone 3 features either a preamp-output or speaker terminal output so you can use this amp or a separate amp to power speakers in another room. When using the SR7008 to power speakers in a second and third room of your home, the second and third zones are restricted to mono operation and the main zone is limited to 5.1 channels. When using the receiver's preamp output terminals for the 3rd Zone, you need an additional amplifier in that room to power those speakers; the main Zone of the receiver remains 7.1-channel. The volume of Zone 3 can be controlled by the Marantz receiver using either configuration or from your add-on amplifier when using the line-output. You can select tuner, analog (audio only), optical/coaxial digital (2ch PCM only), USB/iPod, and Network/AirPlay sources for playback in Zone 3. You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations or different Network content for different zones. Zone 3 does not support any video sources.
- All Zone Stereo Function: The All Zone Stereo function allows you to enjoy the AV receiver's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2 simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types; analog or digital). During the All Zone Stereo, 2ch playback is automatically selected for all zones and each zone will play at the same volume level. This is useful when you want to enjoy the same music at the same time in multiple rooms during a get together or party.
Source Rename/Delete: You can change the display name (up to 8 characters) of a selected input source. If an input isn't being used, you can delete it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Panel Lock: To prevent accidental operation of this unit, you can disable operation of the buttons on the front-panel.
Dual Backup Memory Function: This receiver stores its settings in a nonvolatile memory even when the main power supply is turned off. Using the Dual Backup Memory function, you can write settings information to another memory area to back up saved settings for recovery anytime as needed.
- Personal Memory Plus: This function sets the settings (input mode, surround mode, HDMI output mode, MultEQ, Dynamic EQ, audio delay, etc.) last selected for the individual input sources.
- Last Function Memory: This function stores the settings which were made before going into the standby mode. When the power is turned back on, the settings are restored.
Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments.
Auto Standby: The unit enters standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (30 or 60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
Learning Remote: The provided IR wireless remote is a universal learning remote control. The remote features a adjustable backlit LCD window which displays information about the sources and modes selected from the remote control. The remote's buttons are also backlit with a press of a button. This remote control is preset with remote codes for Marantz AV components. The remote also contains codes for other manufactures which can be programmed.
HDMI Control: The Marantz SR7008 can control select external audio/video components connected via HDMI which support HDMI control. When you make an HDMI connection with a TV or player compatible with the SR7008's HDMI control function, you can perform the operations from the SR7008's remote control; Power off, Switching of audio output devices, Switching of audio input devices, Volume adjustment, and Playback functions.
Marantz Remote App: The Marantz Remote App lets you control the Marantz Network A/V receiver using your Apple iOS (4.3 or later) or Android device. This free Remote App lets you control the Marantz A/V receiver's basic functions (power, volume, input, surround modes) from your Apple iOS or Android device. The multi-zone control page of the Remote App lets you adjust power, volume and input selection for all zones from a single screen (when applicable). You can even navigate the A/V receiver's network and Internet content from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. For added convenience, there are eight customizable home screen short cut buttons that allow you to tailor the look and function of the Marantz Remote App to suit your needs.
Note: Download the free Marantz Remote App from the iTunes App Store for the iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (iOS 4.3 or later). Or, download the free Marantz Remote App from the Android Market for your compatible Android device (1.5-up). The AV receiver will need to be connected to the same network as your Apple iOS or Android device.
Remote Connections: The Marantz SR7008 is fitted with the following custom remote inputs/outputs.
- Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the SR7008 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
- Flasher In: This 3.5mm input is used to control the SR7008 from an external key-pad (sold separately).
- DC Trigger Outputs: Dual DC trigger outputs (3.5mm) allow you to connect external devices so they can be turned on by the SR7008.
- RS-232C: The RS-232C port is to be used in conjunction with an external controller to control the operation of the unit by using an external device. The RS-232C port may also be used in the future to update the operating software of the unit so that it will be able to support new digital audio formats.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
18 questions already asked