About the Marantz UD5005
A universal player for the music-loving movie fans
The versatile Marantz UD5005 can play just about every disc format on the market. Enjoy a gorgeous picture and thrilling surround sound from high-definition Blu-ray discs plus watch the latest movies in 3D on your 3D TV. This player also does a superb job upconverting your standard DVDs to near-HD picture quality. And music lovers can explore the nuanced sonic richness of stereo and multichannel SACDs, and hear new depth and detail in regular CDs.
Dynamic sound that energizes the high-def picture
Blu-ray delivers immersive surround sound in addition to an outstanding picture, and the UD5005 makes it easy to enjoy it. Just make a one-cable HDMI connection between this player and your receiver to hear compelling sound from Blu-ray movies with Dolby® TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks the most realistic surround sound ever heard in home theaters.
Watch movies from Netflix® and video from YouTube, and access music and photos, too
In addition to playing a variety of video and audio discs, the UD5005 can connect to your home network via an Ethernet port. You can stream movies, photos, and music stored on your computer to enjoy on your home theater system. Or connect to the Internet and watch movies instantly from Netflix (membership required) or videos on YouTube.
Solid Marantz design backed by a 3-year warranty
Vibration and noise can limit your Blu-ray player's performance, so Marantz engineered the UD5005 to combat their negative effects. It sports a rigid chassis with a clean internal layout that isolates critical circuits to minimize noise. You can count on top-quality picture and sound with every disc you play, for years to come.
- plays standard and 3D Blu-ray discs, SACDs, DVD-Audio discs, DVDs, and CDs
- 3D Blu-ray disc playback requires a firmware update (available Fall 2010)
- Internet-ready — plays TV shows, movies, and more from Netflix® and YouTube (membership required for Netflix)
- streams photos/videos/music from a compatible DLNA-enabled Windows® PC
- BD-Live support for added bonus features with compatible Blu-ray discs — includes 1GB built-in memory for downloaded content
- front USB port plays MP3 and WMA audio files
- independent block construction separates the audio, video, and power circuit boards to minimize distortion
- remote control
- selectable output resolution: 1080p signals available through HDMI output only; 720p/1080i signals available through HDMI or component video
- selectable 720p/1080i/1080p video upconversion for DVD (upconverted video available through HDMI output only)
- HDMI version 1.4a for 3D video, Deep Color, x.v.Color, High-Bit-Rate Audio, and HDMI-CEC control
- 148.5MHz/12bit video digital-to-analog converter
- 192kHz/24-bit audio digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, and DTS-HD Master Audio
- high-resolution audio can be decoded in the player or in your compatible receiver (HDMI connection required)
- video outputs include composite video, component video, and HDMI
- IR input and output for remote repeater systems
- audio outputs include stereo and coaxial digital
- Ethernet port for downloading BD-Live bonus material, Internet audio and video streaming, and possible future upgrades
- detachable power cord
- 17-5/16"W x 4-1/4"H x 14-3/4"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # UD5005
What's in the box:
- Super Audio CD/Blu-ray disc player
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC005UD)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 58" AV cable (with a composite video and stereo RCA connectors on each end)
- 40" Coaxial digital cable (with an RCA connector on each end)
- User Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Addendum Sheet
- Limited Warranty sheet (USA)
- Limited Warranty sheet (Canada)
Marantz UD5005 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Marantz UD5005
Features & specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||---|
|4K Ultra HD|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Netflix/YouTube/BDLive|
|Smartphone App Control||No|
|DVD Video Upconversion||720p/1080i/1080p|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Digital Optical Output||None|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
|Analog Audio Outputs||Stereo|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Multi-Disc Compatible: The Marantz UD5005 Super Audio CD/Blu-ray disc player allows playback of Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, and CD discs. The unit supports the following disc formats: BD-ROM (BD-Video), DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW , DVD-Audio, CD, CD-R/RW, and SACD.
Note: This unit uses NTSC, so BD or DVD discs you play back must be recorded in the NTSC system. You cannot play back BD or DVD disc recorded in other color systems.
Blu-ray Disc Compatible: Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a new high-definition disc format designed to take advantage of today's high quality HDTVs. The resolution is up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) and the data transfer rate is up to 40 mbps. Blu-ray Discs and players offer several advantages over the standard DVD format:
- Better picture quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 1080/24p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD player). Blu-ray Disc delivers an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
- Better sound quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and uncompressed 5.1 channel PCM
- Much greater storage capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
- Compatibility with your current disc collections: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc players use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.
Note: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet.
AVCHD Playback: The Marantz UD5005 will play home videos recorded in AVCHD. AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) is a high definition digital video camera format used to record in high definition or standard definition on a DVD-R/RW discs.
DivX File Playback: The UD5005 supports playback of DivX (up to DivX Plus HD). The unit can play back files recorded in the DivX moving picture compression format on DVD-R/RW or CD-R/RW discs. This unit supports DivX file sizes up to 2 GB.
JPEG Playback: The Super Audio CD/Blu-ray disc player will also playback JPEG still image files written onto CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW discs. This unit supports JPEG still image resolutions of 32 x 32 pixels up to 4,096 x 4,096 pixels. The maximum file size image is 12 MB. The player can recognize up to 999 folders and 999 files. The name of the folder and file can be displayed up to 32 characters. Images can be played as a slide-show and can be rotated 180-degrees, 90-degrees left, or 90-degrees right.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The Marantz Super Audio CD/Blu-ray disc player will play back MP3, WMA, and AAC audio files written onto CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW discs. The unit supports MP3 files with a sampling frequency of 44.1 or 48 kHz and a constant bit rate of 64-320 kbps. In addition, the unit supports WMA files with the same sampling frequency and a constant bit rate of 48-192 kbps. The unit also supports AAC files with the same sampling frequency and a constant bit rate of 16-320 kbps. The player can recognize up to 999 folders and 999 files. Artist names and song titles can be displayed up to 60 characters.
SACD: Super Audio CD use a technology called Direct Stream Digital (DSD) to convert music into a digital signal that can be stored on a disc. Compared to the traditional PCM method (the technology used for CD), DSD offers a much higher resolution by following more closely the original waveform of music. With a frequency response of over 100kHz and a dynamic range over 120dB across the audible frequency range - some 64 times higher resolution then CD - Super Audio CD offers music reproduction that reveals details you just cannot hear on a normal CD.
DVD Audio: DVD Audio is a digital audio format that delivers high-fidelity audio content on a DVD disc. DVD-Audio supports bit depths up to 24-bit and sample rates up to 192 kHz, while CD audio is only 16-bit, 44.1 kHz. Compared to CD audio discs, DVD Audio offers considerable more music storage, higher audio quality, and additional audio channels for surround sound. DVD-Audio offers many possible configurations of audio channels (up to 5.1-channel surround sound).
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to set a rating limit, which prevents your children from viewing inappropriate material. Playback will stop if the ratings exceed the levels you set, and it will require your to enter a 4-digit password before the disc will play back. The Parental Control feature consists of an 8-level DVD and 254 BD rating system protected by a custom user 4-digit password.
High Quality Construction: The Marantz UD5005's sleek contoured front panel combines both aluminum and reinforced resin composite to dampen resonance and blend with virtually any décor. The panel's construction helps resist the destructive effects of unwanted vibration, while the custom-engineered feet add a further barrier to vibration as well as a nicely finished look. The Blu-ray player's centrally located disc mechanism places the critical disc-laser interface in the middle of the chassis to minimize the kind of artifacts that could impact both audio and video quality.
Video Outputs: The Marantz BD5005 Super Audio CD/Blu-ray disc player is equipped with the following high-definition and standard definition video outputs.
- HDMI Output: The Marantz UD5005 features a single HDMI output for HD video and audio signal transmission. The HDMI port is version 1.4a with 36-bit Deep Color and x.v.Color support, along with High Audio Bit-Rate output and 3D video. The HDMI output supports 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 1080p/24.
- Component Video Output: The UD5005 features one component video output, capable of passing a progressive scan signal or an interlaced video signal. The component video output supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i.
- Composite Video Output: The Super Audio CD/Blu-ray disc player features one Composite video output that supports 480i.
Full HD Audio/Video Signal Via HDMI: The Marantz UD5005 includes a 1080/24p HDMI output to faithfully reproduce video images recorded on a Blu-ray disc. When connected to a 1080/24p display, you can enjoy remarkable video performance of Blu-ray which brings out the full character of film material. The Marantz UD5005 can output video and digital audio signals via HDMI. When connected to a AV surround amplifier with an HD-format decoder, the UD5005 can be used to enjoy high-quality video and audio.
I/P Conversion With Upscaling: The Super Audio CD/Blu-ray disc player features high-grade 10-bit I/P conversion (component video) and video scaling up to 1080p (HDMI) so you can take a standard DVD video signal and make it look its best on your connected high-definition compatible television.
148.5MHz/12-bit Video DAC: For high quality analog output, there is a 148.5MHz/12-bit video DAC converter for Component and Composite video signals.
3D-Ready: The Marantz UD5005 lets you enjoy 3D Blu-ray disc movies in full HD 1080p. 3D viewing requires compatible 3D content, a 3D-ready HDTV, 3D emitter & glasses, and a high-speed HDMI cable (supporting at least 10.2 Gbps) connection.
Note: This unit may require a firmware update to enable 3D function.
Deep Color: The HDMI output supports Deep Color, increasing the number of bits available for transmission, meaning more colors. This results in greater color fidelity, smooth tonal transitions, and ultra-fine gradations between colors. It also enables many times more shades of gray, for higher contrast ratio.
x.v.Color: The UD5005's HDMI output supports x.v.Color, meaning it's ready for x.v.Color discs when they become available in the future.
TV Aspect: This function of the Super Audio CD/Blu-ray disc player lets you set a picture size according to the aspect ratio of your connected television. You can choose from the following.
- 16:9 Wide: Select this when a wide-screen TV is connected; discs recorded in wide-screen format are played over the entire screen.
- 16: Squeeze Auto: When playing 4:3 images, the picture is displayed in the center of the 16:9 screen with a 4:3 aspect ratio.
- 4:3 Pan&Scan: Select this to play back the disc recorded in wide screen format with 4:3 TV in the Pan&Scan mode with the side of the picture cut off.
- 4:3 Letter Box: select this to play back the disc recorded in wide screen format with 4:3 TV in the letter box mode with black strips at the top and bottom.
Picture Adjustment: You can adjust the picture quality of the Super Audio CD/Blu-ray disc player's video output connected to your television and save up to 5 picture setting presets. You can adjust the following picture settings.
- 3DNR: Reduces the overall level of noise on the picture (0 to +3).
- BNR: Reduces the block noise generated by digital processing (0 to +3).
- MNR: Reduces the noise around the outline of an object generated by digital processing (0 to +3).
- Contrast: Adjusts the difference between the bright and dark parts of the picture (-6 to +6).
- Brightness: Adjusts the brightness of the picture (0 to +12).
- Gamma Correction: Detailed adjustments of the picture's brightness (-4 to +4).
- Hue (color tone): Adjusts the balance between the green and red (-6 to +6).
- Chroma Level: Adjusts the density of the colors (-6 to +6).
- Setup Level: Adjusts the black area of the image (0 IRE, 7.5 IRE)
Bonus View: The Bonus View feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
Slow Forward/Reverse Playback: The unit allows Slow Forward/Reverse Playback in three different speeds of BD-video, DVD-video, and DivX discs. Sound is muted during this function.
Resume Playback: This function allows you to resume playback from the point at which the playback has been stopped on the disc even if the power to unit is turned off.
Marker: You can mark electric reference points on a disc to view at a later time. This feature allows you to assign a specific point on a title or track to be called back later. You can mark up to twelve points.
Angle: Some BD and DVD discs contain scenes which have been shot simultaneously from various angles. This player allows you to select from these different camera angles.
On-Screen GUI: The Marantz Super Audio CD/Blu-ray disc player incorporates an on-screen GUI (Graphic User Interface) menu system which makes various operations and menu selections visible on your connected television set. To view the on-screen GUI, you will need can connect either the HDMI, component, or composite video output to your television.
Screen Saver: The Screen Saver function activates when stop or pause status continues for approximately three minutes. The Screen Saver function also activates during playback of a CD, Super Audio CD, or audio file when no operations are performed for approximately three minutes.
Wall Paper: You can select a Blue, Black or Gray background when the player is in stop mode or audio playback mode.
Auto Power-Off: If the unit is in stop mode for approximately 30 minutes, it will automatically switch to standby mode.
Independent Board Construction: The Marantz UD5005 utilizes independent board construction to minimize the interaction between audio, video, and power supply stages. The audio, video, and power electronic circuits are separate to prevent electronic and electromagnetic noise caused by various electronic signals in the unit.
192kHz/24-Bit DAC: The Marantz UD5005 Super Audio CD/Blu-ray disc player features a 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter for high-quality sound.
Audio Formats: The Super Audio CD/Blu-ray disc player's HDMI and coaxial digital outputs are capable of Multi-channel Surround playback, Multi Linear PCM playback, and 2-channel Linear PCM audio playback. The UD5005 supports the following Audio Formats depending on the unit's HDMI or digital output setting, disc type used, and audio recording format of disc.
|Disc Type||Audio Recording Format||HDMI Out Setting||Digital Coaxial Out Setting|
|BD-video||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Multi Linear PCM||Dolby Digital||2ch Linear PCM|
|Dolby Digital Plus||Dolby Digital Plus||Multi Linear PCM||Dolby Digital||2ch Linear PCM|
|Dolby TrueHD||Dolby TrueHD||Multi Linear PCM||Dolby Digital||2ch Linear PCM|
|DTS||DTS||Multi Linear PCM||DTS||2ch Linear PCM|
|DTS-HD||DTS-HD||Multi Linear PCM||DTS||2ch Linear PCM|
|Linear PCM||Multi Linear PCM||Multi Linear PCM||2ch Linear PCM||2ch Linear PCM|
|AVCHD||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Multi Linear PCM||Dolby Digital||2ch Linear PCM|
|Linear PCM||Multi Linear PCM||Multi Linear PCM||2ch Linear PCM||2ch Linear PCM|
|DVD-video||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Multi Linear PCM||Dolby Digital||2ch Linear PCM|
|DTS||DTS||Multi Linear PCM||DTS||2ch Linear PCM|
|Linear PCM||2ch Linear PCM||Multi Linear PCM||2ch Linear PCM||2ch Linear PCM|
|DivX||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Multi Linear PCM||Dolby Digital||2ch Linear PCM|
|MP3/MP2||2ch Linear PCM||Multi Linear PCM||2ch Linear PCM||2ch Linear PCM|
|DVD Audio||Linear PCM||Multi Linear PCM||Multi Linear PCM||2ch Linear PCM||2ch Linear PCM|
|CD-Audio, MP3/WMA/AAC||2ch Linear PCM||2ch Linear PCM||2ch Linear PCM||2ch Linear PCM|
|Super Audio CD||DSD||2ch Linear PCM||No audio output||No audio output|
|DTS-CD||DTS||2ch Linear PCM||DTS||2ch Linear PCM|
Audio Adjustments: The Marantz UD5005 offers the following advanced audio settings.
- Pure Direct: By selecting the Pure Direct Mode, you shut down the circuitry of the front panel and video output for even lesser audio interference and greater sound quality.
- DRC: This feature compresses the dynamic range of Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby TrueHD soundtracks. At night or other times when you cannot play back at high volume, this compensates by reducing high-level sounds and increasing low level sounds.
Music Playback Modes: The Marantz UD5005 offers the following music playback modes.
- Program Play: You can program up to a maximum of 15 audio tracks.
- Repeat Play: You can repeat an entire music disc, music folder, or a single music track.
- Random Play: You can play your music tracks in a random order.
Audio Outputs: The Marantz UD5005 is equipped with the following analog and digital audio outputs.
- 2-Channel Audio Output: The unit features a stereo audio output for connecting to a stereo analog input on a TV or receiver. Even when the source audio is multi-channel (Dolby Digital, DTS, DVD-Audio, SACD), these jacks will output a downmixed 2-channel signal.
- Digital Audio Output: This unit features a coaxial digital audio output connection. The coaxial digital audio output can be connected to an A/V receiver, amplifier, surround decoder (Dolby Digital, DTS), or other component.
USB Port: The Marantz UD5005 is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port for playback of audio, still image, and video files stored on a USB memory device. You USB memory device must be formatted with FAT16 or FAT32. The player can recognize up to 8 folder layers, 999 folders, and 999 files. The unit will display file/folder names up to 32 characters and artist/song titles up to 60 characters. The UD5005 supports the following audio, photo, and video files via a USB memory device.
|Playable Media||File Type||Bit Rate||Sampling Frequency|
|Audio||MP3||64-320 kbps||32, 44.1, 48 kHz|
|WMA||48-192 kbps||32, 44.1, 48 kHz|
|AAC||16-320 kbps||32, 44.1, 48 kHz|
|LPCM||16 bits||44.1, 48 kHz|
|Playable Media||File Type||Resolution||Maximum File Capacity|
|Photo||JPEG||32 x 32 pixels to 4096 x 4096 pixels||12 MB|
|Playable Media||File Type||Video Layer||Audio Layer|
|MPEG||MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4||MP3, AAC, WMA, AC-3|
|WMV||WMV9, WMV9AP (VC-1)||WMA, AAC, AC-3, DTS|
|AVI||MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4||PCM, MP3, AAC, AC-3|
Network Connection: The Marantz UD5005 Super Audio CD/Blu-ray disc player is equipped with a rear-panel Ethernet jack which lets you connect the player to your home network. Once the unit is connected to your network, you can enjoying the following functions.
- Playback of a Blu-ray disc supporting BD-Live.
- Playback of music, photo, and video files stored on a device on your network.
- Playback of YouTube contents.
- Playback of Netflix contents.
- Downloading for latest firmware updates.
Note: This unit's Ethernet (RJ-45) port supports 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX and requires an Ethernet (LAN) category 5 or higher cable, Router, Modem, and broadband Internet connection.
DLNA Certified: The Marantz UD5005's Ethernet connection is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 certified and Windows 7 compliant. This means it's easier for you access and enjoy digital music (LPCM), photos (JPEG), and videos (MPEG) stored on your PC through your home entertainment system.
Note: You will need a Windows XP (SP2 or more), Windows Vista, or Windows 7 OS (operating system); with Windows Media Player ver.11 or DLNA software.
Media Player: The UD5005 lets you play music, picture, and video files stored on your computer via a network connection.
- Audio File Playback: MP3 (64-320 kbps), WMA (48-192 kbps), AAC (16-320 kbps), WAV (16-bit), and FLAC (16/20/24-bit) audio files stored on your computer can be played through the Marantz UD5005 via its network connection. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the UD5005. The player also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and WMA META tag information so song title, artist name, album name, and album art can be displayed on your connected television.
- Picture File Playback: Still picture (JPEG) files stored on your computer can be played as slide shows on a connected TV through the player's network connection. The duration each picture is displayed can be adjusted (5-60 secs).
- Video Playback: Video files (DivX, MPEG, AVI, WMV) stored on your computer can be played back.
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11)
Netflix (2CH): The Marantz UD5005 can play back movies and TV shows from Netflix when connected to your home network with Internet connection. Netflix is a subscription-based online video streaming service. Your Netflix Instant Queue (created on your computer) will display on your connected television.
Note: It is recommended to use a broadband line connection with an effective speed of 6 Mbps or more.
YouTube: The Marantz UD5005 can play back video hosted by YouTube when connected to your home network with Internet connection. YouTube is a video file-sharing service. You can use the player's on-screen virtual keyboard to search for video content offered by YouTube.
Note: At the moment (December 2010), the YouTube feature of this unit does not function. Software compatible with the YouTube feature will be available in December 2010 from the Marantz website. Please use the software update from the Marantz website and the player's "Firmware Update" function to update the unit.
BD-Live Ready: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The Marantz Super Audio CD/Blu-ray disc player features an Ethernet port to connect to the internet via your home network and a 1GB built-in memory for additional storage.
Firmware Updates: You can update the firmware of this unit via the Internet, through the unit's Ethernet port.
IR Wireless Remote Control (with Glow Buttons): The Marantz UD5005 comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control to operate this unit only. To avoid other Marantz BD players responding to the remote signal of this unit, you can change the signal of the remote control. If the signal code of the remote does not match to the signal code of the unit, you cannot control the unit with the remote. The remote control also features glow-keys so you can operate the unit easily in the dark.
HDMI Control: When a TV supporting HDMI control is connected to the UD5005 via an HDMI cable, it is possible to use the television's remote control to perform such operations as: power on/off, function switching, and volume adjustment.
Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the UD5005 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
Flasher Input/Output: This 3.5mm input/output is used to control the UD5005 from an external key-pad (sold separately).
The Marantz UD5005 replaces these items
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio
- rigid construction and dual-layered top plate for reduced vibration
- 3-year warranty
- selectable HD video output (720p/1080i/1080p)
- outputs undecoded audio to your receiver for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio
- 3-year warranty