About the LG 65SM8600PUA
A gorgeous 65" 4K picture you'll want to share
A gorgeous 65" 4K picture you'll want to share
LG's 65" 65SM8600PUA delivers a clear, vibrant picture that will thrill all but the pickiest videophiles, for about half the price of one of LG's top-rated OLED models. LG's NanoCell™ LED-LCD display uses nano particles to absorb unwanted light wavelengths and enhance the purity of the red and green colors displayed on the screen, for a richer overall color palette.
For 2019, LG also included their innovative Alpha7 Gen 2 video processor, which uses AI to intelligently enhance image color and motion. It improves picture depth and color accuracy.
This TV is truly a crowd-pleaser
If you frequently watch TV with friends or family, you'll want a TV with good off-axis viewing. And if you can't justify the expense of one of LG's OLED TVs, the next best thing is LG's IPS panel technology. It keeps picture contrast and color looking crisp even for viewers seated around to the sides of the screen. The trade-off is picture contrast and black levels that aren't quite top-notch. Bottom line: the 65SM8600PUA is best enjoyed with at least some room lights on.
Thanks to 120Hz screen refresh and LG's excellent TruMotion motion processing, this is a great TV for gaming and watching sports.
Let your TV be the hub for all your connected devices
The 65SM8600PUA's built-in web apps give you instant access to a nearly limitless selection of entertainment including streamed video from services like Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu. LG's ThinQ® AI intelligent voice control can process hundreds of voice commands. Just speak directly into the Magic Remote's mic to operate the TV as well as a variety of compatible smart devices. This TV is also compatible with Google Home and Amazon Alexa voice control assistants.
LG's Magic Remote has been my favorite TV remote for a few years now. You can point, click, scroll or speak to find exactly what you want, searching across apps, movies, TV shows and the web, all at the same time.
Use the Sanus MountFinder™ to see a list of wall-mounts that work with your specific TV.
- 64.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- TruMotion 240 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate)
- High Dynamic Range (Dolby Vision®, HDR10, HLG) for extended picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content
- LED edge backlight with local dimming for good picture contrast
- IPS (In-Plane Switching) LCD panel provides very good off-axis viewing
- NanoCell™ Display delivers truer colors and reduced reflections
- Alpha7 Gen 2 Intelligent Processor improves picture depth, sharpness, and color accuracy
- expanded color range with Billion Rich Colors (8-bit panel with 10-bit dithering)
- 4K Upscaler upconverts standard-def and high-def video to near-4K quality
Video Source Compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
- LG ThinQ® AI makes your TV the hub for all your smart devices
- supports voice control of compatible apps:
- dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- mobile-to-TV wireless mirroring with Miracast™ enabled phones and tablets
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android let you use a compatible smartphone as a remote control
- 4 HDMI 2.0b
- 1 composite video (3.5mm A/V minijack — use supplied adapter)
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- Toslink optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- Ethernet port for a wired network connection
- 3 USB 2.0 inputs for connecting a thumb drive or other device
- built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
- Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- the TV's built-in speakers and audio outputs will be disabled when streaming audio to Bluetooth headphones or speakers
- can send Dolby Atmos® audio to the TV's speakers, or to an A/V receiver via HDMI/ARC, when using the TV's streaming apps
- WiSA ready and compatible with WiSA-enabled USB transmitters and WiSA certified speakers for creating a wireless 5.1-channel audio system
General Features & Info:
- motion-sensing Magic Remote with built-in microphone for voice control
- dimensions: 57-1/8"W x 35-13/16"H x 12-3/4"D with stand; 57-1/8"W x 33-1/16"H x 3-1/8"D on stand)
- weight: 56.8 lbs. with stand; 53.1 lbs. without stand
- detachable pedestal stand ("footprint" is 32-3/4"W x 12-3/4"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included, see Accessories)
- VESA mounting hole pattern: 300mm x 300mm
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 65SM8600PUA
What's in the box:
- 65" LED-LCD TV
- Pedestal base
- Pedestal neck
- 5' AC power cord
- Magic Remote (AN-MR19BA)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AV adapter cable
- Four M5x25mm screws
- Four M4x12mm screws (w/ star washers attached)
- Pedestal neck cover
- Owner's Manual
- Easy Setup Guide
- "How to Use LG ThinQ" sheet
- Magic Remote User Information
- Warranty/Registration Card
- Warranty Information
- Screen Cleaning note
- Unboxing Instructions
EnergyGuide:View EnergyGuide label
LG 65SM8600PUA reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the LG 65SM8600PUA
Features & specs
NanoCell Display Technology: LG's NanoCell technology is a breakthrough in display technology that advances the LCD TV viewing experience by combining an expanded color gamut with the ability to more accurately create those colors, resulting in superior picture quality regardless of viewing angle. NanoCell Technology uses nano particles that absorb unwanted light wavelengths and enhances the purity of the red and green colors displayed on the screen. The result is dramatic, enhanced picture quality at wider viewing angles to give you an incredible cinematic experience.
- Billion Rich Colors: The NanoCell display reveals a billion lifelike colors, 64x richer than conventional TV. This ability to produce a full spectrum of color results in superior picture quality. *Billion Rich Colors is achieved through 10 bit dithering (not actual 10-bit panel).
- Ultra Luminance: LG's NanoCell TV uses improved Ultra Luminance technology to deliver brighter, crisper image highlights. Ultra-HD picture quality becomes even more dynamic with an extended range of brightness , thanks to LG's Ultra Luminance technology. By enabling higher peak brightness and an enhanced contrast ratio, Ultra Luminance makes 4K & HDR images even more striking.
- Local Dimming: The TV provides even greater control of brightness & contrast through the use of NanoCell technology and local dimming to deliver deeper blacks, amazing clarity, and color detail. LG's local dimming technology analyzes the signal of the input video by areas of the screen, and then adjusts the backlight to improve the contrast ratio. This increased contrast ratio in turn enhances overall picture quality with greater clarity, plus bolder colors.
a (Alpha) 7 Intelligent Processor (Gen 2): The NanoCell TV is powered by LG's powerful a (Alpha) 7 Intelligent Processor (Gen 2) for superior picture quality. The a (Alpha) 7 Intelligent Processor (Gen 2) offers a host of technological advantages including deeper blacks, enhanced image rendering, improved shadow details, and accurate color from wide viewing angles.
- True Color Accuracy: True Color Accuracy uses advanced color mapping technology to effectively correct any color distortions and delivers a picture that is accurate, natural, and lifelike.
- Quad Step Noise Reduction: The a7 Intelligent Processor (Gen 2) creates a clearer image with LG's own Quad-step processing technology by reducing grain and banding noise better than many other conventional televisions.
- Frequency-Based Sharpness: The a7 Intelligent Processor's sharpness enhancer boosts fine detail and texture by accentuating the edges of the object in the picture. This creates greater depth, exceptional details, and more realistic pictures
- Object Depth Enhancer: The object depth enhancer precisely separates the main object from the background images and analyzes textures and edges. This is then processed differently to make detection clearer and the edges even sharper. It elevates the perceived depth of the whole picture and reveals hidden details
Ultra HD 4K Resolution w/ Upscaler: The LG NanoCell TV has a display resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 (4K) and will display all video at that resolution through its built-in upscaler, regardless of input signal. 4K provides four times higher resolution than current 1080p high-definition TVs with a total of 8.3 million pixels. Its detail is so vivid and crisp, even when viewed from close distances; it's nearly impossible to discern a single pixel, even from inches away. Enjoy incredibly flawless images, vivid colors, and picture details as never before. More benefits of Ultra-HD 4K include -
- Greater Sense Of Depth: At 4K, distant objects in a scene can be rendered with greater clarity than at 2K, with more nuances of light and shadow and focus for a greater sense of perceived depth.
- Better Color: Because pixels are units of colored light, their greater quantity in 4K enables more layered transitions and subtler gradations of tones, so the hues we see up on screen will be truer to what we see in nature.
- Sit Even Closer: 2K HD TVs carry a recommended viewing distance of three times (3X) the TV screen height, but with a 4K display you can move in to one-and-a-half times (1.5X) screen height without exposing individual pixels. Sitting closer better fills your field of vision, assuring total immersion in whatever you're watching.
4K Cinema HDR w/ Dynamic Tone Mapping Pro: LG's 4K Cinema HDR supports a variety of HDR formats - including Dolby Vision, as well as Active HDR10 & HLG. Thanks to the TV's Active HDR technology with Dynamic Tone Mapping Pro, HDR video content is optimized with the correct amount of brightness and contrast, so all types of HDR content can be displayed beautifully. HDR (High Dynamic Range video) reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail.
- Dolby Vision: Dolby Vision Content has dynamic metadata that is produced during content creation, capturing the dynamic properties of each scene. This dynamic metadata is used to optimize the picture brightness curve on a frame-by-frame basis. Dolby Vision is the preferred HDR format by major Hollywood Studios and delivers the cinematic experience the creator intended by optimizing the picture frame-by-frame.
- Active HDR10 & HLG: Active HDR10 and HLG is LG's own proprietary HDR solution which processes a HDR10 or HLG video signal dynamically frame-by-frame using Dynamic Tone Mapping Pro. HDR10 uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the TV that the video content is encoded using HDR; it is currently the most popular HDR format on the market. HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) uses no pre-encoded metadata and is primarily designed for live video and over-the-air broadcasts. Dynamic Tone Mapping Proallows the TV to offer the best picture possible, even when playing HDR10 content which only contains static metadata, or HLG content which uses no metadata at all.
- SDR-to-HDR Effect: The TV's HDR Effect Mode raises image quality for SDR content to near HDR quality utilizing Dynamic Tone Mapping technology. With the HDR Effect feature, SDR images are processed frame-by-frame to improve brightness in specific areas, enhance contrast ratios and render more precise images.
IPS Panel: LG's IPS (In-Plane Switching) panel makes any seat the best in the house, with a clearer and more consistent image at wide viewing angles compared to conventional screens. IPS delivers authentic colors, virtually identical to the original image - even from a 60-degree angle. Witness colors as true-to-life as nature intended, vibrant across even a large screen, with the stunning clarity of 4K resolution.
TruMotion 240Hz: The NanoCell TV employs LG's proprietary TruMotion 240Hz backlight scanning system to enhance the TV's 120Hz native panel refresh rate to reduce blur and yield crisper details; even during the most high-action sequences - from sports to action movies. You can select between 4 TruMotion modes - Off, Smooth (softens fast-moving pictures), Clear (makes fast-moving pictures clearer), or User (manually adjusts judder / blur / motion).
Video Inputs: The LG NanoCell television features HDMI 2.0b and composite video inputs. All of the television's video inputs are displayed at 3,840 x 2,160 (4K).
- HDMI 2.0b: The four HDMI 2.0b inputs will accept 4K
(60/30Hz), 1080p (60/24Hz), 1080i, 720p, and 480p video signals. The HDMI inputs
not only allow you to connect your Blu-ray/DVD player or Satellite/Cable
receiver to the TV, but also a laptop or computer. The television's HDMI inputs
do not accept 480i video signals.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the TV's HDMI inputs. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with 4K Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All of the HDMI inputs will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of 4K video (30/60fps). With 4:4:4 color, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail. You will need to enable this feature in the menu. 4:2:2 (30/60fps) and 4:2:0 (60fps) are also supported by any of the HDMI inputs, by default.
- Composite Video: The composite video input will accept 480i only. The composite audio/video terminal consists of an AV 3.5mm connector and a 6" mini-to-composite video/stereo RCA adapter.
Picture Settings: The LG NanoCell TV provides preset, user, and expert adjustment of the television's picture settings. These picture settings can be applied to all source inputs or individual source inputs.
- Picture Size: You can select a different aspect ratio
depending on input source (analog broadcasting, digital broadcasting, video
- Original: changes the aspect ratio to 4:3 or 16:9 depending upon the input video signal
- 16:9: displays an aspect ratio of 16:9
- 4:3: displays an aspect ratio of 4:3
- Vertical Zoom: adjusts the vertical dimension of the screen and aligns the screen vertically
- All-Direction Zoom: adjusts the horizontal/vertical/diagonal dimensions of the screen and aligns the screen horizontally/vertically
- Picture Modes: You can select the picture mode that is
best suited to your viewing environment, preferences or video type.
- APS (Auto Power Save): this Energy Saver mode changes the TV's picture brightness based on ambient conditions to reduce power consumption
- Standard: provides optimum viewing for general use
- Vivid: maximizes the effect of the video by strengthening the contrast, brightness, color, and sharpness
- Cinema: optimizes video for watching movies
- Sports: provides fast response speed for sports action
- Game: provides even faster response speeds (21ms) for fast gaming
- User: manually adjust the TV's Backlight, Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness, Color, Tint, and Color Temperature (these settings can be applied to an individual input or all inputs)
- HDR Effect: enjoy a more dynamic, clearer image by correcting the light and dark areas of the display
- Expert Modes: there are three Expert Modes - ISF Day, ISF Night, and Technicolor; the ISF modes allow fine-tuning of the picture for both day and nighttime viewing, while the Technicolor mode is been pre-tuned to the colorist company's preferences
- Advanced Picture Control: The TV also offers more
advanced picture settings.
- Dynamic Contrast: adjusts the contrast to keep it at the best level according to the brightness of the screen; the picture is improved by making bright parts brighter and dark parts darker
- Dynamic Tone Mapping: suitable contrast settings based on image brightness of HDR content
- Dynamic Color: adjusts screen colors so that they look livelier, richer and clearer; this feature enhances hue, saturation and luminance so that red, blue and green look more vivid
- Preferred Color: fine tune Skin, Sky, and Grass color independently
- Super Resolution: provides a crystal-clear picture by improving the details in areas where the picture is blurry or unclear
- Gamma: you can adjust the brightness of dark areas and middle gray level areas of the picture
- Color Gamut: maximizes the utilization of colors to increase color quality
- White Balance: adjusts the overall tone of the screen as desired
- Color Management: this is a function used by experts when they adjust colors using a test pattern of six colors (Red/Green/Blue/Cyan/Magenta/Yellow) without affecting other color areas
- Picture Options: Additional picture options are
available to enhance your viewing experience.
- Real Cinema: makes video clips recorded in a film look more natural by eliminating judder effect
- Black Level: sets the black level of the screen to the proper level
- Smooth Gradation: reduces the jagged edges for a smooth picture
- Noise Reduction: reduces screen noise without compromising video quality
- MPEG Noise Reduction: removes noise caused by compressing video
- Motion Eye Care: automatically adjusts brightness and reduces image blur based on image data to reduce eye strain
- Eye Comfort Mode: color temperature will be automatically adjusted to reduce eye strain
Built-in OTA Tuner: The LG TV features a built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Clear QAM tuner, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals (up to 1080i); subscription still required to receive cable channels. A single RF-type coaxial input is use to connect an external indoor/outdoor antenna (sold separately).
Dolby Atmos w/ Dolby Surround: This LG NanoCell TV currently supports Dolby Atmos playback via Dolby Digital Plus through Internet streaming apps (like Netflix & Vudu), over-the-air/cable broadcast, and USB. Dolby Atmos playback delivered via Dolby TrueHD through Blu-ray & Ultra HD Blu-ray is also supported over a non-ARC HDMI input. It also provides a simulated surround effect for non Dolby Atmos content using Dolby Surround.
Ultra Surround + EQ: Ultra Surround (virtual surround sound) creates a more immersive entertainment experience. Hear subtle dialogue and sophisticated soundtracks through virtual audio channels. The TV also provides preset EQ modes. Choose from Smart Sound, Standard, Clear Voice III, Cinema, Sports, Music, or Game. In addition, you can adjust the TV's sound manually by using the 5-band EQ (100Hz, 300Hz, 1khz, 3khz, 10kHz). Clear Voice III automatically detects human voices in movies and TV shows, then increases their volume to ensure that the dialog doesn't get lost in the soundtrack. You can make the voice clearer by adjusting to one of the three clarity levels.
Magic Sound Tuning: With the Magic Sound Tuning feature, you can detect the space where your TV is installed using your Magic Remote's microphone to optimize the audio of your TV for your environment. When the initial detection is complete, you can select your desired audio mode.
- Standard: Selecting this option outputs Magic Sound Tuning-adjusted audio in Standard mode. This mode provides a clean and natural sound.
- Bass Mode: Selecting this option outputs Magic Sound Tuning-adjusted audio with an emphasis on bass.
- Treble Mode: Selecting this option outputs Magic Sound Tuning-adjusted audio with an emphasis on treble.
- Off: This option disables the use of Magic Sound Tuning-adjusted audio. Selecting this option outputs your TV's default sound without making any adjustments to it.
Sound Controls: Adaptive Sound Control automatically optimizes sound based on the type of content. You can also set the TV's volume to automatically adjust for different broadcasting stations, so you can always listen to channels at the desired volume, even after switching the channels. In addition, if the video and sound of the television are not synced, you can adjust the delay of the audio output to match the video. All three of these features are only available when using the TV's internal speakers.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel of the TV's HDMI 2 input enables the television, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to your AV receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your AV receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input.
- The audio from the TV's tuner, HDMI inputs, and USB ports can pass as DTS-HD, DTS, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, or 2ch PCM.
- LG Store apps (like Netflix or Vudu) can be output as Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, or 2ch PCM.
- Analog connected & DLNA compliant devices will output audio at 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an AV receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI 2 input. If connecting a system that is incompatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Digital Audio Output: The optical digital output terminal will output Dolby Digital/DTS (when available) or 2 channel PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital/DTS when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner, network apps, HDMI inputs, and USB ports on the TV. The optical digital audio output will only output in 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via stereo RCA.
Note: You can choose to turn the television speakers off or leave them on with the TV's optical digital output active.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming (LG Sound Sync): Thanks to the TV's LG Sound Sync and built-in Bluetooth 5.0, you can pair a single set of Bluetooth headphones, one Bluetooth speaker, or a pair of Bluetooth speakers with the LG NanoCell TV. You are able to stream audio from any of the TV's built-in sources or connected sources. The TV's built-in speakers and audio outputs will be deactivated when streaming audio to Bluetooth headphones or speaker. The Bluetooth audio output's volume is variable, so volume of your Bluetooth speaker will need to be controlled by both the TV and the Bluetooth speaker for adequate volume level. You can also wirelessly connect a Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone or tablet) to play audio from your Bluetooth source device through the TV's speakers.
Note: Not guaranteed to be compatible with all Bluetooth devices.
WiSA Ready: The LG NanoCell TV is WiSA Ready and compatible with WiSA enabled USB transmitters and WiSA certified speakers (all sold separately) for creating a wireless 5.1ch audio system. Thanks to WiSA technology you can create a wireless 5.1ch speaker system with low-latency (5.1 milliseconds), seamless synchronization (+/-1.0 microseconds), and high-fidelity audio (24-bit/96kHz).
Note: In addition to the LG NanoCell TV, you'll need a WiSA enabled USB transmitter and WiSA certified speakers/sub to create a wireless 5.1ch speaker setup (all sold separately).
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The LG NanoCell TV supports a wired or wireless network connection via its Ethernet jack or built-in WiFi. Via the TV's network connection and your internet provider, you can enjoy select online entertainment services. You can also access music, video, and still-image files stored on your computer, smartphone, or tablet. It even supports WiFi Direct, so you link wirelessly to a WiFi device without a router.
- Ethernet Jack: The LG NanoCell TV is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the television to your home network and computer.
- Built-in WiFi: The LG TV offers built-in dual-band (2.4/5GHz) WiFi (802.11ac) that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The TV's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the television with easy and quick setup. With this feature, you can easily connect to a wireless LAN and enjoy the benefits of networking in a cable-free environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security; a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N or better router is recommended for 4K streaming.
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other WiFi-enabled devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the LG TV from your device without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
Note: LG recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended for standard definition, 10 Mbps for high definition, and 20 Mbps for ultra-high definition.
LG Content Store: LG Content Store allows you to access a variety of online entertainment services and content directly on the LG TV through its network connection and your internet provider. You can quickly and conveniently browse for TV Shows, Movies, and more. You can also download and use apps from various categories such as entertainment, lifestyle, news, education, sports, and games. Click here for the latest compatible apps (subscriptions & fees may apply for some online services and content). Below is a list of some of the most popular apps from LG Smart TV Apps.
- TV Shows, Movies, & Videos: The LG TV offers access
to select online services that let you enjoy your favorite TV shows, new
blockbuster movies, and other video content. Depending on the online
service, video content is available in different video formats - including
Standard Definition (SD), High Definition (HD), Ultra High Definition (UHD
or 4K), and HDR (High Dynamic Range).
- Netflix: Netflix is a streaming service that allows you to watch a wide variety of TV shows, movies, documentaries, and more (including Netflix Originals). Some content is available in 4K and HDR. With Netflix, you can enjoy unlimited viewing without having to watch a single commercial. Subscription and membership fees will apply.
- Amazon Video: With an Amazon Prime membership, you gain access to thousands of popular movies and TV shows from Amazon Video, including exclusive Prime Originals. You have the option to rent or buy from a huge selection of movies and TV shows. Many Amazon Video movies and shows are available in 4K and HDR.
- Vudu: With Vudu you can watch the latest movies & TV shows with no subscription or contract. You can rent or own from over 100,000 titles, or watch thousands of movies free with Vudu Movies On Us. You'll be able to enjoy movies and TV shows in up to 4K UHD video quality (some shows and movies are also available in HDR).
- Google Movies & TV: Google Play Movies & TV makes finding and watching movies & TV shows easier than ever. Buy or rent the newest movies and shows from the comfort of your home. You can watch select movies & TV shows in 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) quality. You can even watch some movies & TV shows in HDR with a wider range of brightness and color.
- Hulu+Live: Hulu is a leading premium streaming service that offers instant access to live and on demand channels, original series and films, and a premium library of TV and movies; starting at just $7.99 per month. Hulu offers 480p, 720p, and 1080p video quality.
- Other Video Apps: Other online video services with 4K and HDR support, include YouTube & FandangoNow. Additional standard and high definition video apps include Starz, Crackle, & YuppTV.
- Live TV Services: Stream Live TV using Channel Plus,
SlingTV or YouTube TV (subscription fees may apply).
- Channel Plus: The Channel Plus app (powered by XUMO) offers 100 free streaming channels sports, news, entertainment, and lifestyle programming (including NBC and CBS News, PBS Digital Studios, Sports Illustrated, Fox Sports, and more). The Channel Plus app features a handy on-screen guide which is integrated into the TV's over-the-air TV channel guide for easy, seamless access.
- SlingTV: Sling TV is the new way to watch live television. It's an app-based TV service that lets you stream your favorite live TV channels over the internet. With Sling TV, you get to customize your channels by subscribing to the best service to match your needs (subscriptions starting at $20 per month). It is all about your TV watching experience, making it simple once again.
- YouTube TV: YouTube TV is a TV streaming service that lets you watch live TV from 50+ major broadcast and popular cable networks, as well as record your favorite shows to cloud with no storage space limits. Enjoy local and national live sports, and must-see shows the moment they air. YouTube TV costs $40/month for 1 membership with up to 6 accounts. Memberships include your local ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC streams, ESPN, regional sports networks, and more. Add on sports and premium networks like SHOWTIME and Fox Soccer Plus for an additional monthly charge.
- Music & Radio: Listen to your favorite Internet Radio stations and online music from Spotify (requires premium account), iHeartRadio, and more.
- News, Weather, & Sports: Catch up on the news at USA Today, get weather forecasts from AccuWeather, and receive sports updates from MLB.TV.
- Games: The LG Content Store contains a variety of online games; you will need to connect a compatible game-pad to the TV's USB port.
Note: 4K & HDR network streaming requires a network speed of 20Mbps or greater. A wired Ethernet connection is recommended over a wireless WiFi connection for better performance. If you desire a WiFi connection, then use a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router or better for 4K/HDR streaming.
DLNA + Plex Content Sharing: DLNA & Plex compatibility lets you stream select video, photo, and audio files stored on your computer to the LG TV over your home's WiFi network. DLNA is supported by Windows (7, 8, 8.1, or 10) and other DLNA network devices and servers. You will also need to download the SmartShare software on your compatible Windows PC. Plex Media Server software is supported by Windows (7, 8, 8.1, or 10) and Mac (OSX 10.9 or newer).
Screen Sharing via Miracast: Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Windows 8.1+ or Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) to the LG TV. This allows you to view practically any content that is playing on your compatible Windows or Android device on your TV screen; no wireless router or access point required.
Triple USB Ports: The television features three USB (type-A) 2.0 ports for playback of video, still image, and music files stored on a connected USB memory device. The television can support USB external hard disc drives (up to 2TB) and USB mass storage class devices (up to 32GB). The USB storage devices must be formatted as FAT 32 or NTFS file system. In addition, the TV will charge USB devices that can be charged via USB (max. 5V/0.5A). The LG television even lets you watch a slideshow of your photos (JPEG) while listening to background music (MP3) from an inserted USB device.
- Compatible Video Files: AVI/Xvid, MPEG 1/2/4, MKV, MOV, WMV, & Vob.
- Compatible Photo Files: JPEG, PNG, & BMP
- Compatible Audio Files: MP3, WMA, FLAC, & OGG
Web Browser: The LG Smart TV features a built-in web browser that lets you search the Internet for a particular website by URL or keyword searches. The web browser supports only HTML5 media and not Flash Plug-in. The web browser only replays the following media file formats - JPEG/PNG/GIF. Not all websites will be available for download, because of size and content.
Magic Remote: LG's Magic Remote acts as a remote controller, mouse pointer, and voice commander. The Magic Remote automatically pairs with the TV via Bluetooth and has a wireless operating range up to 32.8'.
- Remote Controller/Mouse Pointer: The Magic Remote operates the TV as if it were a wireless mouse pointer. It allows you to point the remote at the TV and move through menu options with the movement of the remote. With simple gesture control, LG'S exclusive Magic Remote enables you to move the on-screen cursor, navigate menus, drag & drop apps, and select icons.
- Voice Command Functions: The Magic Remote's built-in microphone enables voice command for live TV, internet apps, web browser, input selection, and volume control. Simply press-&-hold the "Mic" button on the remote to activate the Voice Command function. When the microphone image appears on the screen, speak your desired search request into the remote. You can tune TV stations, browse TV shows & movies from online apps, search the web, and raise the volume up/down.
AI (Artificial Intelligence) ThinQ w/ Voice Control: The LG TV goes a step further than basic voice control commands with the integration of AI (Artificial Intelligence) ThinQ. AI ThinQ is able to achieve intelligent voice-activated control by employing Natural Language Processing (NLP) and LG's exclusive deep learning platform (Deep ThinQ). The LG TV with AI ThinQ can process hundreds of voice commands. You are able speak directly into the Magic Remote's mic to enjoy the ultra-convenient features of the latest advanced voice assistant technology with deep learning capability. AI ThinQ lets you use your voice to control television functions, search for content, and even manage your connected smart home devices.
- Digital Assistants: AI ThinQ will support the Google Assistant from the included Magic Remote's mic or an external Google Home device (sold separately) to not only control the TV, but also operate smart home devices, manage tasks, and find answers to your questions. In addition, AI ThinQ will support Alexa Skills & Commands from the included Magic Remote's mic or external Alexa enabled device (sold separately), so you can control the TV's primary functions from your Alexa Echo, Dot, Show, etc. (all sold separately). *Alexa built-in features through the included Magic Remote will be available via a firmware update later this year.
- TV Control: By utilizing the TV's built-in Electronic Program Guide (EPG), AI ThinQ delivers real-time information and locates channels with desired content. You can even say "search for this movie's soundtrack" or "turn off the TV when this program is over" without repeating the program's title or specifying a time. You can also ask the TV to play your favorite show, search for a new movie, check information about a cast member or director, and more. Additional voice commands include - Turn Off, Volume Up/Down, Channel Selection, Switch Input, Control Playback, Content Search & Recommendations, Launch Apps, Change Settings, and more.
- Smart Home Control: Beyond controls for the TV, LG's AI ThinQ uses intelligent voice control to create a hub for your smart home and IoT devices. By functioning as a smart home hub, the LG TV can access LG SmartThinQ compatible smart home products on your network - such as refrigerators, washers/dryers, robotic vacuum cleaners, air conditioners/purifiers, smart lights and outlets, as well as many other devices that connect to the TV via your home's WiFi network.
Note: The TV will need to be connected to your home's network and internet provider for the AI (Artificial Intelligence) ThinQ feature to work.
LG TV Plus App: You can download the LG TV Plus app (for Android OS 4.2+ & Apple iOS 8.0+) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device in order to control the television from your smartphone or tablet, share content from your mobile device to the TV, and other convenient features. The LG TV and your Android or Apple iOS device must be connected to the same WiFi network.
- Remote Control: With the LG TV Plus app installed, your compatible mobile device will act as a wireless remote control for the TV. You'll be able to change channels and adjust volume from the app on your smartphone or tablet. You can even select the television's LG Smart TV apps and switch between inputs
- Content Sharing: You can enjoy your pictures, videos, and music stored on your Apple iOS or Android device through the LG TV using the LG TV Plus app.
- My Starter: The My Starter feature of the LG TV Plus app lets you view current time, weather, and calendars from your Apple iOS or Android device on the TV screen when it is turned on.
HDMI-CEC: HDMI-CEC (or SIMPLINK) allows you to control other HDMI-CEC compatible components connected to the TV via HDMI from the television's Magic Remote. HDMI-CEC (or SIMPLINK) provides the following remote control functions.
- Instant Play: When you start a HDMI-CEC compatible device which is connected to the TV via HDMI, you can immediately watch content from the device on the TV without having to control anything else.
- Device Control: HDMI-CEC also enables you to control compatible devices connected to the television via HDMI with the TV's remote control.
- Main Power On/Off: Via HDMI-CEC, turning off the TV will turn off all of your HDMI-CEC connected devices. In addition, turning on a HDMI-CEC connected device will turn the TV on.
Keyboard Compatible: The LG NanoCell TV supports the use of a keyboard & mouse through its USB ports or via Bluetooth. You can enter text with the keyboard when using the Search function and the built-in Web Browser.
Serial Port: You can connect the 3.5mm serial port to an external control device (such as a computer or AV control system) to control the TV's functions externally.
AI Picture & Sound: The LG NanoCell TV's a (Alpha) 7 Intelligent Processor (Gen 2) incorporates artificial intelligence (AI) to optimize your viewing and listening experience. The TV will automatically and intelligently analyze source content and ambient conditions in real-time to enhance picture and sound quality.
- AI Picture Mode: AI Picture mode heightens picture and sound quality with its deep learning algorithm (developed from a vast database of over one million visual data) which recognizes content source quality and determines the best upgrade method for optimal visual output. In addition to content source detection, a (Alpha) 7 Intelligent Processor (Gen 2) finely adjusts the tone mapping curve in accordance with ambient conditions to offer optimized screen brightness; leveraging its ability to understand how the human eye perceives images in different lighting. The processor uses the TV's ambient light sensor to measure light levels, automatically adjusting brightness to compensate as needed.
- AI Sound Mode: Sound quality is augmented by an intelligent algorithm that can up-mix two-channel audio to deliver convincing virtual 5.1ch surround sound. The a (Alpha) 7 Intelligent Processor (Gen 2) optimizes output based on content type, making voices clearer in movies, dramas and news broadcasts, among others.
WebOS 4.0: LG's latest WebOS 4.0 on-screen menu system is easy to learn and use. Initial setup is smooth and simple, while connecting to other devices and searching for content is extremely convenient. The intuitive WebOS 4.0 pulls together all your content choices and serves up entertainment options that neatly organize your recent viewing history, what's on Live TV, what you might like to watch next, and the latest movies, TV shows, apps and games from the LG Content Store. Now you can spend less time navigating and more time enjoying the premium content that you and your family want, accessed right through the television, thanks to LG's intuitive WebOS 4.0 user interface.
- Program Guide & My Channels: While watching TV, you can easily search for other channels using the Program Guide or My Channels. The television's built-in Program Guide gives you a weekly outlook of what's on TV and detailed information about each program (when applicable). You can select a current program to watch or schedule a future program to watch later. You can also add channels you frequently watch to "My Channels" to easily check which programs are airing on those channels.
- Application & Content Search: You can narrow down your online content search by selecting which category you would like to search - All Apps, My Apps, Premium Apps, Movies, TV Shows, and Games. You can also enter a keyword search for content across multiple applications.
- Recents & Recommendations: The TV remembers and display the most recent apps you've used for easier access. The TV also provides instant recommendations for finding your favorite content and accessing information about actors and characters on-screen, based on your viewing history.
- Input Selection: A dedicated Input button on the remote pulls up an on-screen menu of your connected devices and gives you a live feed of what's playing on each input as you scroll through them. Simply click on an input to go directly to that source.
- Quick Settings: The Quick Settings Menu provides quicker access to commonly used functions - such as Picture Mode, Aspect Ratio, Sound Mode, Sound Out, Sleep Timer, and Network.
Gallery Mode: The Gallery mode turns the TV into a digital picture frame, displaying pre-downloaded artwork and even your own USB downloaded picture files (JPEG format only). You can choose one piece of artwork or begin a slide-show.
Closed Captions & Audio Guidance: The LG NanoCell TV offers Close Captions and Voice Guidance for the hearing and visually impaired. The TV provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions for the hearing impaired. You can also activate Voice Guidance, which describes when you change channels or inputs, adjust the volume up or down, and make changes in the menu settings.
Parental Control: Parental Control can be used to block specific channels, ratings, and other viewing sources (external input and application block). The Parental Control Function is used to block program viewing based on the ratings sent by the broadcasting station. The default setting is to allow all programs to be viewed. Viewing can be blocked by choosing the type of the program and the categories. It is also possible block a specific channel. The Parental Control function is protected by a 4-digit user password.
Energy Saving Feature: The Energy Saving feature helps to save electric power by adjusting the screen brightness; you can select from six modes - Auto (based on ambient room conditions), Minimum, Medium, Maximum, Screen Off, or Off.
On/Off & Sleep Timers: You can program the television to turn On and turn Off at a certain time. You can set the On and Off timer to Daily, Mon-Fri, Mon-Sat, Sat-Sun, or Once. You can also set the input, channel, and volume level for the On Timer. If you do not press any button within 2 hours after the TV turns on with the On Timer, the TV will automatically revert back to standby mode. The Sleep Timer turns the TV off at the preset time (10, 20, 30, 60, 90, 120, 180, or 240 minutes).
Built-in Customer Support: The LG Smart TV offers built-in customer support to help your learn functions and diagnose problems.
- On-Screen User Guide: The TV offers a built-in, on-screen User Guide to help you learn how to use your new TV.
- Picture/Sound Tests: This customer support function executes picture and sound tests to make sure you have the TV properly connected.
- LG Remote TV Service: LG Remote TV Service can allow LG Customer Service to help you perform menu actions and resolve many problems remotely. To use this feature make sure your TV is connected to the internet.
Software Update: You can update the TV with the latest software to enhance the product operation and/or add new features via the TV's network connection. Visit LG's Support Site for the latest firmware/software updates.
Pedestal Stand: The TV is shipped with pedestal unattached; assembly is required using the supplied hardware. The television weighs 56.8 lbs with the stand attached. The TV does not swivel.
Wall Mounting: The TV has four threaded inserts on the back for use with an optional wall-mount bracket. The spacing of the mounting holes is 300mm (h) x 300mm (v). The threaded inserts require 6mm machine screws (not supplied). The television weighs 53.1 lbs without the stand.
Ventilation Requirements: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 4" above/below the television for adequate ventilation.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The television comes with a detachable 5' AC power cord. The power cord protrudes 0.625" from the back of the TV (this protrusion is calculated in the TV's panel depth measurement). The power cord is outfitted with a right-angle AC plug that sits 0.9375" from the wall.
The LG 65SM8600PUA replaces these items
- High Dynamic Range (HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision) for extended picture contrast and brightness with HDR sources
- IPS LCD panel provides very good off-axis viewing
- TruMotion 240 (120Hz refresh rate)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?