About the LG GX
Sleek and streamlined
Sleek and streamlined
LG's ultra-thin Gallery Series OLED TVs deserve an attractive sound bar to match, like the LG GX. This bar can be placed on a tabletop, but it looks especially slick mounted on the wall. If you don't have a Gallery TV, no worries, the GX can beautifully complement almost any modern flat panel.
Roomy sound, compact design
The GX system is nice and compact but it doesn't skimp on sound. The sound bar has dedicated left, right, and center channels driven by 200 watts of total power. Built-in Meridian Technology expands the soundfield, making it both wider and deeper. Both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X are also supported through the eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel) HDMI connection.
A wirless sub brings the bass
The included powered subwoofer fills in the low end so you can feel the action onscreen. It's also wireless, allowing additional flexibility when placing the subwoofer. As long as the sub has gets AC power, you're good to go.
LG additionally offers optional SPK8-S wireless speakers, which expand your home theater system to 5.1 channels and provide true surround sound.
The GX's 4K video passthrough supports Dolby Vision™ and HDR10. That means you can connect your video source directly to the sound bar and send crisp, high-contrast Ultra HD video to your TV via HDMI. The GX also has a USB input that supports high-resolution audio, letting you listen to detailed 24-bit/192kHz music files.
Built-in Bluetooth lets you stream audio content from compatible computers, smartphones, tablets, and even some TVs. The GX also upsamples Bluetooth and other audio sources to enhance their sound quality.
- sound bar and wireless subwoofer
- delivers spacious 3.1-channel sound with support for Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X
- Meridian Technology expands, deepens, and widens the soundfield
- plays high-res files up to 24-bit/192kHz
- allows passthrough of 4K content through HDMI
- supports HDR (High Dynamic Range), including HDR10 and Dolby Vision
- AI Room Calibration automatically adjusts for the characteristics of your room
- AI Sound Pro analyzes what you're watching and adjusts audio settings in real time to enhance sound quality
- total system power: 420 watts
- ultra-thin, wall-mounted design
- matches LG OLED Gallery Series TVs
- can also be placed on a tabletop using the included feet
- 3 built-in speakers
- left and right channels driven by 80 watts each
- center channel driven by 40 watts
- built-in Dolby® decoding, including Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Atmos
- built-in DTS Digital Surround, DTS HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, and DTS:X
- includes brackets for wall-mounting
- 56-7/8"W x 5-15/16"H x 1-5/16"D
- weight: 9.3 lbs.
- wirelessly connects to the sound bar for flexible placement
- built-in 220-watt amplifier
- 7-3/16"W x 15-9/16"H x 11-15/16"D
- weight: 12.8 lbs.
Connections and general Info:
- built-in Bluetooth® allows music streaming from compatible TVs, smartphones, tablets, and computers
- optional SPK8-S wireless surround speaker kit available
- 1 HDMI input, 1HDMI output (cable included)
- HDCP 2.3 compatible with 4K sources
- output supports enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)
- optical digital audio input
- UBS input allows digital music to be played from a thumb drive
- plays MP3, WMA, OGG, FLAC, and WAV files
- remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # GX
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- 3' AC power cord
- 5' AC power cord
- Remote control (AKB75595351)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 59" HDMI cable
- 2 Wall-brackets
- 2 Feet
- Wall Bracket Install Guide
- Simple Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the LG GX
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||3.1|
|Virtual Surround||Movie Mode|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||Yes|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||Yes|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||200|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||220|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||Yes|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Pre-programmed|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 4.0|
|Online Music Sources||None|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||None|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||5-15/16H x 56-7/8W x 1-5/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||9.3 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||15-9/16H x 7-3/16W x 11-15/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||12.8 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
GX (Gallery Series) Sounbar & Sub: The LG GX Soundbar & Sub system has been designed to match perfectly with LG's Gallery Series OLED TVs (55", 65" and 77" models); however, it can be used with other LG TVs and other brands of TVs. The system includes an active soundbar speaker and a wireless powered sub with a total system power of 420 watts.
- Active Soundbar Speaker: The active soundbar speaker incorporates dedicated front left, center, and front right channels powered by a built-in 220W amplifier (80W x 2ch to the front left & right channels and 40W x 1ch to the center channel).The soundbar can be positioned on a flat tabletop surface using the included feet. It can also be wall mounted using the included wall-mount brackets (mounting screws not supplied). The soundbar should be centered above or below your flat-panel television.
- Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The wireless powered subwoofer houses a front-firing 6" woofer powered by a built-in 220W (RMS) amplifier inside a bass reflex cabinet with a rear-firing port. Because its wireless, you can place the subwoofer almost anywhere in your room (up to 33' from the soundbar). But it is better to place the subwoofer near the main unit. Turn it slightly toward the center of the room to reduce the wall reflections.
Note: The active soundbar speaker and wireless powered sub will both need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The active soundbar speaker comes with an external AC power adapter with an attached 58" DC cable and a detachable 3' AC power cord. The wireless powered subwoofer comes with a detachable 5' AC power cord.
Wireless Surround Ready: The GX soundbar system has been designed to integrate with LG's SPK8-S optional wireless surround speakers (sold separately), adding dedicated rear channels with wireless convenience for 5.1ch surround sound. The SPK8-S includes an amplifier/receiver unit and pair of speakers that link wirelessly to the LG soundbar.
Note: The LG Wireless Surround Sound Kit (SPK8-S) will require and AC power outlet connection and speaker wire connection. The kit's wireless receiver/amplifier receives its audio signal wirelessly from a compatible LG soundbar speaker. The rear surround speakers connect to the wireless receiver/amplifier using speaker wire. The wireless receiver/amplifier also requires connection to an AC power outlet.
AI Sound Pro: The GX incorporates LG's AI Room Calibration and AI Sound Pro to ensure the soundbar and subwoofer system sounds great in your room and with your source content. AI Sound Pro automatically and intelligently analyzes source content in real-time to enhance sound quality. It automatically adjust sound levels (including Bass & Treble) based on the content you are watching and listening. From powerful action to dramatic dialog, you'll hear your entertainment with crystal-clear, detailed audio.
Meridian Hi-Res Audio: LG partnered with Meridian Technology, pioneers of High-Resolution Audio, to combine advanced signal processing and refined hardware design, creating a soundfield with greater height, width and depth. This leading audio processing technology also provides sound quality that surpasses CDs, and allows you to enjoy stunning 24-bit/192kHz audio resolution (for HDMI & Optical), as well as 24-bit/192kHz upsampling for other audio sources (such as Network and Bluetooth).
Digital Surround Sound Formats: The LG GX soundbar and sub system supports the following multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI & optical digital inputs.
Digital Connector Audio Signal Type Audio Signal Format HDMI Bitstream
Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital
DTS:X, DTS HD, High Resolution, DTS HD Master Audio, DTS
PCM 2ch / 5.1ch / 7.1ch Optical Bitstream Dolby Digital, DTS PCM 2ch
Immersive Surround: The LG GX supports Dolby Atmos & DTS:X. However, the soundbar only features front left, center, and front right channels; with no height or surround channels - so Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, as well as other Dolby Digital and DTS content will be down-mixed to 3.1 channel surround.
- Dolby Atmos: With Dolby Atmos sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. Rather than being constrained to channels, sounds exist as individual entities that are precisely placed and moved in three-dimensional space. A new sensation of height immerses you in the action, creating a full audio atmosphere and realistically depicting objects moving overhead. Dolby Atmos renders everything from dialogue to quiet scenes to whirlwind action with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth. It all comes together in sound that excites your senses and inspires your emotions to deliver the full impact of entertainment.
- DTS:X: DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space.
- The soundbar's HDMI input and output support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. Your source device must also support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
- The soundbar's optical (toslink) digital input only supports Dolby Digital (5.1ch), DTS (5.1ch), and 2ch PCM.
Sound Effects: The LG Gallery Series soundbar speaker system has a number of preset surround soundfield modes to make listening to your movie or music soundtracks even more enjoyable.
- Standard: Standard mode provides optimum sound for most applications.
- Movie: Movie mode lets you enjoy a more immersive and cinematic surround sound.
- Music: Muse mode lets you enjoy better sound from music sources.
- Bass Blast+: Bass Blast+ reinforces the bass for a more powerful sound.
HDM 2.0 Input/eARC Output: The LG GX soundbar speaker system is equipped with one HDMI 2.0 input and HDMI 2.0 eARC output that support up to 4K/HDR video, 4:4:4 color sub sampling, and HDCP 2.3. The HDMI jacks also support Dolby Digital/DTS multichannel audio formats (including Dolby Atmos & DTS:X). The eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) function of the soundbar's HDMI output enables an HDMI eARC capable TV to send its audio stream to the HDMI output of the soundbar system.
- 4K Pass-Through: 4K pass-through allows the GX to receive ultra high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K compatible TV or display monitor. The system supports 4K@60/50Hz (4:2:0), 4K@24/25/30Hz (4:4:4). 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and 480p video signals.
- HDCP 2.3: The soundbar's HDMI input and output also support HDCP 2.3, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission. HDCP 2.3 is supported by the soundbar system's HDMI input and output. HDCP 2.3 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Sub sampling: The system's HDMI jacks support 4:4 color sub sampling for more vibrant and lifelike images, as well as 4:2:0 color sub sampling. With 4:4:4, luminance (brightness) and Chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K performance.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors. The LG GX supports the following HDR formats - HDR10 and Dolby Vision.
- HDR10: HDR10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Dolby Vision: Dolby Vision Content has dynamic metadata that is produced during content creation, capturing the dynamic properties of each scene. This dynamic metadata is used to optimize the picture brightness curve on a frame-by-frame basis. Dolby Vision is the preferred HDR format by major Hollywood Studios
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best HDR performance.
eARC (Enhanced Audio Retain Channel): Along with standard ARC (Audio Return Channel), the LG SN8YT supports eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel). ARC and eARC allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the soundbar system through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- eARC will support uncompressed audio formats like Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD), DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, DTS HD Master Audio, and 2/5.1/7.1ch PCM.
- ARC is limited to Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital Plus), Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS ES, and 2/5.1/7.1ch PCM.
- Your TV will also need to support eARC or ARC for this feature to work. Some newer TVs will support eARC, but most TVs only support ARC.
- The ARC-enabled HDMI input on some TVs will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable box, or Gaming console to the soundbar system directly; and then connect the system's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
Optical Digital Input: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the LG GX is equipped with a optical (toslink) digital input. The optical digital input supports Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch), DTS (up to 5.1ch), and PCM (up to 2ch) audio signals.
- The digital optical output terminals of some flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
- The optical digital input does not support Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.
- The LG GX is not equipped with any analog audio inputs.
Built-In Bluetooth: The LG GX features built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with support for for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP), as well as wireless TV connectivity. You can pair up to multiple devices, but only one device can be connected and used at a time. The system has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 33'.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device (including smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer) to the LG soundbar system. In addition to the standard SBC Bluetooth codec, the system is also compatible with AAC for higher-quality playback from Apple iOS devices. Basic control (such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track) can be done from the included IR remote. Advanced music browsing and song/artist/album display will still need to be done through your Bluetooth source device (not the soundbar).
- Wireless TV Connection: You can even setup your Bluetooth-enabled TV to stream its audio wirelessly to the LG GX soundbar speaker system. When connected to a Bluetooth-enabled TV, the LG GX only decodes 2ch audio. Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby Digital, DTS, and other multichannel audio formats are not supported via Bluetooth. During a wireless Bluetooth connection, you can use the TV's remote or the soundbar's remote to raise and lower the volume.
- The GX does not support Bluetooth hands-free for making or answering phone calls.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the LG system.
USB-A 2.0 Port: The side-panel USB-A 2.0 port allows you to connect a USB MSC (mass storage class) device for playback of select music files, including Hi-Res music files. Your USB MSC device (such as a USB thumbdrive) must be formatted in FAT 16, FAT 32, or NTFS with a maximum total of 2,000 folders and 2,000 files. You can control Folder/File Search, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Random/Repeat from the include IR remote. The USB port is rated at 5V/500mA and can also be used to charge small USB-enabled electronic devices. Compatible music files include -
- FLAC: up to 24-bit/192kHz
- WAV: up to 24-bit/192kHz
- MP3: up to 320kbps/48kHz
- WMA: up to 128kbps/48kHz
- OGG: up to 500kbps/48kHz
- This USB port does not support playback from Apple or Android iOS devices, laptops or computers, and USB hubs or card-readers.
- The USB port does not support playback of video or photo files from any device.
Remote Control: The LG GX (Gallery Series) soundbar speaker system comes with an IR remote control, is pre-programmed to operate with select TV remote controls, and supports HDMI-CEC.
- IR Remote: The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the LG GX soundbar speaker system.
- TV Remote Compatible: You can reduce remote control clutter by using your TV remote to operate the LG soundbar speaker system. Eight brands of television remotes are pre-programmed and currently supported (including LG, Samsung, Sony, Vizio, Philips, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sharp), enabling volume adjustment on the soundbar.
- HDMI-CEC (SimpLink): Some functions of the soundbar speaker system can also be controlled by your TV's remote when the speaker system and your HDMI-CEC compatible TV are connected via HDMI. Controllable functions by your TV's remote control include power on/off, volume up/down, and mute.
Music Flow Bluetooth App: Download the LG Music Flow Blueotooth App ((for Apple iOS 7.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+) onto your compatible Apple iOS and Android mobile device to unlock even more features of the LG Gallery Series soundbar speaker system. Your compatible mobile device must be connected to the soundbar via Bluetooth. Through this application, you can wirelessly stream music stored on your compatible mobile device to the soundbar speaker system, as well as configure various settings and control sound effects of the system.
Output Levels: The LG GX provides a variety of output level adjustments for different listening applications. Some of these controls can be accessed from the remote, while others have to be accessed from the LG Music Flow Blueotooth App (for Apple iOS 7.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+).
- Sound Levels: You can adjust the system's overall bass & treble; as well independent channel level for the center, subwoofer, and optional rear speakers.
- Auto Volume: The LG GX features Auto Volume which automatically adjusts the volume level of the soundbar speaker system during loud and low passages, keeping the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements.
- DRC (via app only): The Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) function allows you to compress the dynamic range of Dolby Digital and DTS sound tracks. Only accessible from the LG Music Flow Bluetooth app.
- Night Mode (via app only): Using Night mode, you can enjoy sound effects and hear the dialog clearly even at a low volume levels. Only accessible from the LG Music Flow Bluetooth app.
Auto Functions: The LG GX soundbar system recognizes audio input signals from HDMI, Optical, and Bluetooth so it can automatically switch to the appropriate source input. The soundbar system will turn itself off automatically, when the system does sense and audio signal and is not used for approximately 15 minutes.