About the LG PF50KA
Compact size and battery power let you take the show on the road
Compact size and battery power let you take the show on the road
LG's versatile little PF50KA projector produces bright, crisp images for work or play, at home, in the office, or on the road. You can project your videos, photos and apps wirelessly from a compatible smartphone, tablet or laptop. And the built-in battery means you can project almost anywhere for up to 2-1/2 hours.
Wired and wireless connections
Two HDMI inputs are provided for your high-def video sources, and there's also a standard PC input. Use the standard USB input to connect your camera or a thumb drive. A USB Type-C port gives you another way to enjoy high-quality images from compatible devices, as well as laptop/mobile device charging over a single cable.
The projector's built-in speakers deliver modest sound, and there's a minijack audio output to connect to headphones or a pair of powered speakers. Bluetooth® audio streaming lets you listen wirelessly via compatible portable speakers, headphones, or sound bars.
- DLP technology with Full HD 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- image size: 25"-100"
- light output: 600 lumens
- 100,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- LED RGB lamp (lasts up to 30,000 hours)
- manual focus
- vertical keystone correction
Video Source Compatibility:
- watch streamed HD video sources like Netflix®, Hulu, and YouTube (requires internet speed of at least 10Mbps)
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
- dual-band Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) provides reliable wireless streaming
- mobile-to-TV wireless mirroring with Miracast™ enabled phones and tablets
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android let you use a compatible smartphone as a remote control
- 2 HDMI 1.4
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- PC input
- Ethernet port for a wired network connection
- USB Type-A input for connecting a camera, thumb drive, or storage device
- USB Type-C input for connecting a compatible laptop PC or Android™ device
- built-in side-firing stereo speakers (1 watt x 2)
- 3.5mm stereo minijack output for connecting headphones or a home audio system
- Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- built-in rechargeable battery for portable use (lasts up to 2-1/2 hours)
- quiet cooling fan (23 dB in Eco mode)
- threaded socket on bottom of projector for mounting unit to a tripod (1/4"-20)
- remote control
- AC power adapter
- 6-3/4"W x 2-3/8"H x 8-1/16"D
- weight: 2.1 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor carry-in service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PF50KA
What's in the box:
- Portable projector
- Rechargeable battery (pre-installed)
- AC power adapter (attached 46" DC cord)
- 5' AC power cord
- Remote control (AKB75095373)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Information
- Regulatory Notice
- Product Registration Card
More details on the LG PF50KA
Features & specs
|Resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Approximate Lamp Life||30,000 hrs|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||600|
|Vertical Lens Shift||No|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||No|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||Yes|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Type of Warranty Service||Carry-in|
|Total Video Inputs||2|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||None|
|Composite Video Inputs||None|
|USB Media Port|
1080p Projector: With the LG CineBeam PF50KA projector, you can watch your TV shows and movies in true 1080p high-definition resolution with sharpness and detail. The picture remains lifelike and text is crystal-clear when displayed at up to 100" (16:9 aspect ratio).
- DLP HD Chipset: The LG CineBeam Series projector employs a small DLP HD chipset from Texas Instruments to produce HD video and images on nearly any surface with more brightness and greater energy efficiency than previous DLP technologies.
- LED Lamp: This projector's light source is a powerful LED lamp that enables a large, detailed image and will provide years of reliable service (up to 30,000 hours). The LG CineBeam Series projector has a brightness level up to 600 lumens and a 100,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio.
Dual HDMI Inputs: The LG CineBeam PF50KA projector is equipped with two HDMI 1.4 inputs which can be used to connect a Blu-ray player, satellite/cable box, game console, or computer. Both HDMI inputs support video signals of 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and 480p.
Note: The LG CineBeam PF50KA is not 4K or HDR compatible. The projector is not equipped with any analog video inputs.
Built-in OTA Tuner: The LG CineBeam Series projector features a built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Clear QAM tuner, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals (up to 1080i); subscription still required to receive cable channels. A single RF-type coaxial input is use to connect an external indoor/outdoor antenna (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Picture Settings: The LG CineBeam PF50KA provides preset, user, and expert adjustment of the projector's picture settings.
- Picture Size: You can select a different aspect ratio depending on input source (analog broadcasting, digital broadcasting, video input).
- Original: changes the aspect ratio to 4:3 or 16:9 depending upon the input video signal
- 16:9: displays an aspect ratio of 16:9
- 4:3: displays an aspect ratio of 4:3
- Vertical Zoom: adjusts the vertical dimension of the screen and aligns the screen vertically
- All-Direction Zoom: adjusts the horizontal/vertical/diagonal dimensions of the screen and aligns the screen horizontally/vertically
- Just Scan: view the video content in the aspect ratio that is in the broadcast signal or content source
- Picture Modes: You can select the picture mode that is best suited to your viewing environment, preferences or video type. These settings can be applied to an individual input or all inputs.
- Standard: provides optimum viewing for general use
- Vivid: maximizes the effect of the video by strengthening the contrast, brightness, color, and sharpness
- Cinema: optimizes video for watching movies
- Sports: provides fast response speed for sports action
- Game: provides even faster response speeds (21ms) for fast gaming
- User: manually adjust the projector's Backlight, Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness, Color, Tint, and Color Temperature
- Expert: the projector is ISFccc Ready and contains the detailed standards necessary for professional calibration of brightness, contrast, tint, sharpness, color levels and much more to meet local lighting conditions for both day and nighttime viewing; the EXPERT/ISFccc mode allows an expert to fine-tune the picture quality using a specific image
- Advanced Picture Control: The projector also offers more advanced picture settings.
- Dynamic Contrast: adjusts the contrast to keep it at the best level according to the brightness of the screen; the picture is improved by making bright parts brighter and dark parts darker
- Dynamic Color: adjusts screen colors so that they look livelier, richer and clearer; this feature enhances hue, saturation and luminance so that red, blue and green look more vivid
- Preferred Color: fine tune Skin, Sky, and Grass color independently
- Super Resolution: provides a crystal-clear picture by improving the details in areas where the picture is blurry or unclear
- Edge Enhancer: shows clearer and distinctive, yet natural edges of the video
- Gamma: you can adjust the brightness of dark areas and middle gray level areas of the picture
- Color Gamut: maximizes the utilization of colors to increase color quality
- Color Filter: filters a specific color spectrum in RGB Colors to fine-tune color saturation and hue accurately
- White Balance: adjusts the overall tone of the screen as desired
- Color Management: this is a function used by experts when they adjust colors using a test pattern of six colors (Red/Green/Blue/Cyan/Magenta/Yellow) without affecting other color areas
- Picture Options: Additional picture options are available to enhance your viewing experience.
- Real Cinema: makes video clips recorded in a film look more natural by eliminating judder effect
- Black Level: sets the black level of the screen to the proper level
- Noise Reduction: reduces screen noise without compromising video quality
- MPEG Noise Reduction: removes noise caused by compressing video
Live Zoom: LG's Live Zoom allows you to zoom in or zoom out on a portion of a video while it's being played to make the desired section appear larger or smaller. Live Zoom is only available on the the projector's over-the-air tuner and HDMI inputs (not available for network or online content).
Built-in Speakers: The LG CineBeam PF50KA projector is equipped with a built-in two watt amplifier and stereo speakers for sound without the connection of external speakers.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel of the LG projector's HDMI 1 input enables the projector, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to your AV receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the projector to your AV receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the projector. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the projector. ARC allows audio from the HDTV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, HDMI inputs, or any analog connected device to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the projector's HDMI ARC input.
- The audio from the TV tuner, HDMI inputs, LG Content Store apps, and USB ports can pass as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, DTS, or 2ch PCM.
- Analog connected & DLNA compliant devices will be output audio at 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the projector and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an AV receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the projector's HDMI 1 input. If connecting a system that is incompatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming (LG Sound Sync): Thanks to the projector's LG Sound Sync and built-in Bluetooth 4.2, you can pair a single set of Bluetooth headphones, one Bluetooth speaker (including a soundbar), or a pair of Bluetooth speakers with the LG CineBeam PF50KA. You are able to stream audio from any of the built-in sources or connected sources. The built-in speakers and audio outputs will be deactivated when streaming audio to a Bluetooth headphones or speaker. The Bluetooth audio output's volume is variable, so volume of your Bluetooth speaker will need to be controlled by both the projector and the Bluetooth speaker for adequate volume level. You can also wirelessly connect a Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone or tablet) to play audio from your Bluetooth source device through the projector's speakers.
Note: Not guaranteed to be compatible with all Bluetooth devices.
Analog Output: The projector is also equipped with an analog output, consisting of a 3.5mm jack, which lets you connect an AV receiver, soundbar, or set of headphones. You can choose to have both the built-in speakers and the analog output active at the same time, or have the speakers turned off.
Note: The projector is not equipped with an optical (toslink) digital output.
Sound Modes + Equalizer: The Smart Sound Mode automatically optimizes sound based on the type of content. You can also choose between six Preset Sound Modes - Standard, Cinema, Clear Voice III, Sports, Music, or Game. Clear Voice III automatically detects human voices in movies and TV shows, then increases their volume to ensure that the dialog doesn't get lost in the soundtrack. In addition, you can adjust the sound manually by using the 5-band EQ (100Hz, 300Hz, 1khz, 3khz, 10kHz). You can even enable a Virtual Surround Mode that lets you enjoy an immersive soundscape with a virtual multichannel surround sound effect.
Auto Volume: You can set the LG projector's volume to automatically adjust for different broadcasting stations, so you can always listen to channels at the desired volume, even after switching the channels.
AV Sync: If the video and sound of the projector are not synced, you can adjust the delay of the audio output to match the video.
Network & USB Content
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The LG CineBeam PF50KA projector supports a wired or wireless network connection via its Ethernet jack or built-in WiFi. Via the projector's network connection and your internet provider, you can enjoy select online entertainment services. You can also access music, video, and still-image files stored on your computer, smartphone, or tablet. It even supports WiFi Direct, so you link wirelessly to a WiFi device without a router.
- Ethernet Jack: The LG CineBeam Series projector is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the projector to your home network and computer.
- Built-in WiFi: The projector offers built-in WiFi (802.11n) that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The projector's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the projector with easy and quick setup. With this feature, you can easily connect to a wireless LAN and enjoy the benefits of networking in a cable-free environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security; a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N or better router is recommended for streaming video content.
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other WiFi-enabled devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the LG projector from your device without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
Note: LG recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended for standard definition and10 Mbps for high definition.
LG Content Store: LG Content Store allows you to access a variety of online entertainment services and content directly on the LG CineBeam PF50KA projector through its network connection and your internet provider. You can quickly and conveniently browse for TV Shows, Movies, and more. You can also download and use apps from various categories such as entertainment, lifestyle, news, education, and games. Click here for the latest compatible apps (subscriptions & fees may apply for some online services and content). Below is a list of some of the most popular apps from the LG Content Store.
- TV Shows, Movies, & Videos: The LG projector offers access to select online services (like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, & YuppTV ) that let you enjoy your favorite TV shows, new blockbuster movies, and other video content. Depending on the online service, video content is available in different video formats - including Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD).
- Music & Radio: Listen to your favorite Internet Radio stations and online music from iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, and more.
- Web Browser: The LG Content Store features a built-in web browser that lets you search the Internet for a particular website by URL or keyword searches. The web browser supports only HTML5 media and not Flash Plug-in. The web browser only replays the following media file formats - JPEG/PNG/GIF. Not all websites will be available for download, because of size and content.
Note: Online content varies by region and is subject to change without notice.
DLNA Certified: This projector is DLNA Certified; which means it can display and play movie, photo, and music content from your DLNA Certified network device and DLNA server (such as your Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 PC). The Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is a cross-industry organization of consumer electronics, computing industry and mobile device companies. Digital Living provides consumers with easy sharing of digital media through a wired or wireless network in the home. You will also need to download the SmartShare software on your compatible Windows PC.
Screen Share: You'll have the ability to project your videos, photos, and apps wirelessly from compatible smartphone, tablet, desktop computer, or laptop. Wireless connectivity only supports devices running Android and Windows operating systems.
- Miracast: Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Windows 8.1+ or Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) to the LG projector. This allows you to view practically any content that is playing on your compatible Windows or Android device through the projector; no wireless router or access point required.
- Intel WiDi: With Intel Wireless Display (WiDi), playing content wirelessly from your Intel-based laptop or computer on the big-screen has never been easier. You'll be able to display video and watch videos that are on your laptop through the LG projector. Intel WiDi delivers rich, vibrant visuals and audio to the projector without the clutter of cables. You get quick, reliable wireless connection with low latency, without the need for a wireless router.
USB Inputs: The LG CineBeam PF50KA projector is equipped with a USB (type-A) input for connecting a USB MSC device (such as a USB thumbdrive), and a USB (type-C) input for connecting select Android smartphone/tablet devices and Mac computers/laptops.
- USB-A: The projector features a USB-A port for playback of a variety of video, photo, and audio files stored on a USB MSC (mass storage class) device, such as a USB thumbdrive or HDD. It can can support USB external hard disc drives (up to 2TB) and USB mass storage class devices (up to 32GB). The USB storage devices must be formatted as FAT 32 or NTFS file system. This port can also be used to charge USB-enabled mobile devices (rated at 5V/0.5A). Hard disk drives will require a separate power supply.
- USB-C: The USB-C connection allows audio/video transfer from select Android smartphone/tablet devices and select Mac computers/laptops that feature a USB-C port. It will also charge your mobile device during charging (rated at 5V/1A).
Compatible Audio/Video/Photo Files: DLNA and USB compatible video, photo, and audio files include -
- Video: AVI/Xvid, MPEG 1/2/4, MKV, MOV, WMV, & Vob.
- Photo: JPEG, PNG, & BMP
- Audio: MP3, WMA, FLAC, & OGG
Software Update: You can update the LG projector with the latest software to enhance the product operation and/or add new features via the projector's network connection. Visit LG's Support Site for the latest firmware/software updates.
Controls & Convenience Features
webOS: LG's webOS 3.5 on-screen menu system is easy to learn and use. Initial setup is smooth and simple, while connecting to other devices and searching for content is extremely convenient. The webOS user interface pulls together all your content choices with an intuitive search engine. webOS serves up entertainment options that neatly organize your recent viewing history, what's on Live TV, and what you might like to watch next, while the integrated LG Content Store is ready to deliver the latest movies, TV shows, apps and games. Now you can spend less time navigating and more time enjoying the premium content that you and your family want, accessed right through the projects, thanks to LG's intuitive webOS user interface.
- Live TV w/ Program Guide: While watching broadcast television, you can easily simply search for other channels by moving the pointer to the right side of the screen. The built-in program guide gives you a weekly outlook of what's on TV and detailed information about each program (when applicable). You can select a current program to watch or schedule a future program to watch later.
- App Searches: You can narrow down your online content search by selecting which category you would like to search from - All, Hot (Popular), New, Movies, TV Shows, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Games, Education, News & Info, plus My Page (Apps). You can also enter a keyword search for content across multiple applications.
- Magic Link (Recommendations): The new Magic Link feature provides instant recommendations for finding your favorite content and accessing information about actors and characters on-screen.
- Input Selection: A dedicated Input button on the remote pulls up an on-screen menu of your connected devices and provides you with information on what's playing on each input as you scroll through them. Simply click on an input to go directly to that source.
- Quick Menu & Quick Access: The Quick Menu provides quicker access to commonly used functions like Picture Mode, Sound Mode, Aspect Ratio. The Quick Access feature allows you to assign Channels, Inputs, & Apps to the remote's 1-9 numeric keypad for easier & quicker access.
Remote Control: The included IR remote control provides full wireless operation of the projector (except for manual focus which can only be done from the controls on top of the projector). When using the remote control, the optimal operation range is 19.6' or less (left/right) and within a 30° of the IR receiver on back of the projector. There are also basic control functions found on top of the unit; including Power On/Off, Menu/Source, Volume Up/Down, and Channel Up/Down, as well as a Focus Ring.
HDMI-CEC (SIMPLINK): HDMI-CEC (or SIMPLINK) allows you to control other HDMI-CEC compatible components connected to the LG CineBeam Series projector via HDMI from a single remote control. HDMI-CEC (or SIMPLINK) provides the following remote control functions.
- Instant Play: When you start a HDMI-CEC compatible device which is connected to the projector via HDMI, you can immediately watch content from the device through the projector without having to control anything else.
- Device Control: HDMI-CEC also enables you to control compatible devices connected to the projector via HDMI with the projector's remote control.
- Main Power On/Off: Via HDMI-CEC, turning off the projector will turn off all of your HDMI-CEC connected devices. In addition, turning on a HDMI-CEC connected device will turn the projector on.
LG TV Plus App: You can download the LG TV Plus app (for Android OS 4.2+ & Apple iOS 8.0+) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device in order to control the LG CineBeam Series projector from your smartphone or tablet, share content from your mobile device to the projector, and other convenient features. The LG projector and your Android or Apple iOS device must be connected to the same WiFi network.
- Remote Control: With the LG TV Plus app installed, your compatible mobile device will act as a wireless remote control for the projector. You'll be able to change channels and adjust volume from the app on your smartphone or tablet. You can even select the projector's LG Content Store apps and switch between inputs
- Content Sharing: You can enjoy your pictures, videos, and music stored on your Apple iOS or Android device through the projector using the LG TV Plus app.
- My Starter: The My Starter feature of the LG TV Plus app lets you view current time, weather, and calendars from your Apple iOS or Android device through the projector when it is turned on.
Keyboard Compatible: The LG CineBeam Series projector supports the use of a keyboard & mouse through its USB ports or via Bluetooth. You can enter text with the keyboard when using the Search function and the built-in Web Browser.
Parental Control: Parental Control can be used to block specific channels, ratings, and other viewing sources (external input and application block). The Parental Control Function is used to block program viewing based on the ratings sent by the broadcasting station. The default setting is to allow all programs to be viewed. Viewing can be blocked by choosing the type of the program and the categories. It is also possible block a specific channel. The Parental Control function is protected by a 4-digit user password.
Timers: You can program the projector to turn On and turn Off at a certain time. You can set the On and Off timer to Daily, Mon-Fri, Mon-Sat, Sat-Sun, or Once. You can also set the input, channel, and volume level for the On Timer. If you do not press any button within 2 hours after the projector turns on with the On Timer, the projector will automatically revert back to standby mode. The Sleep Timer turns the projector off at the preset time (10, 20, 30, 60, 90, 120, 180, or 240 minutes). In addition, it has an Auto Off function that will turn the projector off automatically if there is no input signal or operation for an an elapsed preset time.
Closed Captions & Audio Guidance: The LG CineBeam Series projector offers Close Captions and Voice Guidance for the hearing and visually impaired. The projector provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions for the hearing impaired. You can also activate Voice Guidance, which describes when you change channels or inputs, adjust the volume up or down, and make changes in the menu settings.
Screen Size & Throw Distance: The distance between the projector and your screen (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) determines the actual size of the image. Once the image appears on the screen, use the projector's Focus Test function and the Focus Ring on top of the projector to optimize focus. Position the projector so that the lens is at a right angle to the screen. If the projector is not at a right angle, the projected image will look distorted. To correct the distortion, use the Keystone function. Auto Keystone provides a rectangular screen image by automatically adjusting the keystone number when there is a trapezoidal screen image caused by tilting of the projector. You can also use the PJT Mode to turn the projected image upside down or flip it horizontally.
16:9 Aspect Ratio
Screen Size (inches)
Throw Distance (inches)
Mounting Options: The LG CineBeam PF50KA projector can simply be placed on a stable flat surface; such as a stand, desk, tabletop, or piece of AV furniture. The PF50KA can also be attached to a tripod using the 1/4"-20 threaded insert on the bottom of the projector (make sure the tripod can handle a maximum weight of 6.6lbs or more). Make sure to place the projector in a well ventilated environment, leaving adequate open area (11.8125" or more) around the projector.
Power Requirements: The LG CineBeam Series projector can be powered using its rechargeable battery (12000mAH) or the included AC power adapter. The battery provides up to 2.5 hours of playback time (may vary depending on usage). The battery will be automatically recharged when the projector is connected to AC power using the included power supply. Charging time is approximately 3 hours. The projector will display an on-screen message if the battery is getting low. The battery can be replaced and a new battery can be ordered through LG Electronics Customer Support Center.
Note: The Energy Saving feature helps to save electric and battery power by adjusting the screen brightness; you can select from 3 modes - Minimum, Medium, or Maximum. If the battery is low, the Energy Saving mode will automatically changed to Maximum.
Cooling Fan: The LG projector utilizes a built-in fan to keep it running cool. It has a fan noise level of 23dB (economic), 24dB (normal), or 30dB (high brightness).