About the LG S80QY
Heightened TV audio
Heightened TV audio
The LG S80QY sound bar system offers cinematic home theater sound with support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X multi-channel audio formats. The bar has eight built-in speakers driven by a 260-watt amplifier, including a unique feature: not two, but three up-firing channels. These speakers coordinate to bounce effects off your ceiling for impressive 3D audio. Built-in Meridian Technology further expands the soundfield, making it both wider and deeper. And an included powered sub adds low-end impact to help you feel the action on-screen.
That all adds up to give you a surprisingly immersive home listening experience without the complexity or cost of a traditional system with multiple speakers and a receiver. Thanks to a dedicated center channel, quieter moments and dialogue are also easier to follow and won't be lost in the process.
The LG SQ80Y features height left, right, and center channels that produce detailed overhead sound effects for greater immersion.
Made to work together
The S80QY is designed to work seamlessly with 2022 LG TVs. You can reduce the clutter on your coffee table by controlling the sound bar with your TV remote. You can also enhance audio performance with TV Sound Mode Share, letting the bar benefit from your TV's built-in audio processing.
Streaming options aplenty
Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth let you wirelessly stream your favorite tunes from your phone directly to the sound bar. Or connect to the Apple AirPlay® 2 wireless ecosystem using an iOS® device. Android™ fan? No problem. This bar also streams content through Chromecast built-in, via a wide range of compatible apps. If you want to minimize cord clutter, you can even use the sound bar's Bluetooth to receive a stereo signal from a compatible LG TV.
Voice control with Alexa or Google
You can use the sound bar's built-in Wi-Fi to connect to an Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant device. This lets you to control the sound bar with just your voice. You can also ask your preferred voice assistant to play music, check the weather, or even snag recipes while you're cooking.
If you have a collection of high-resolution music files, you can play them on this sound bar system. It handles audio files up to 24-bit/96kHz. So, if you've got quality tracks stashed on a USB drive, you can plug it right in and rock out. You can also stream uncompressed tracks with services like TIDAL (subscription required). The bar even upsamples low-res or compressed digital files, so you can benefit from improved quality no matter what you're listening to.
Easy to use and install
The sound bar can connect directly to your TV with either the included HDMI cable or via an optical digital input (optical digital cable sold separately). The included powered subwoofer connects to the sound bar wirelessly, giving you additional wiggle room for placement. Plug both the bar and sub into AC power and you're good to go.
Matching your sound up to your space is easy, too, with AI Room Calibration Pro. This technology automatically tailors your sound to the shape of your room. There's also AI Sound Pro, which quickly analyzes what you're watching to optimize your audio settings for better sound quality.
4K/HDR passthrough with HDMI
The bar's HDMI connections allow 4K video passthrough with support for HDR (High Dynamic Range), including HDR10 and Dolby Vision®. That lets you maintain a high-contrast Ultra HD picture from your Blu-ray player or video game console through to your TV. If you're a gamer, you'll also benefit from passthrough for both VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) and ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode).
The bar also supports eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel), so it can receive uncompressed audio signals — including Dolby Atmos — from an eARC-equipped TV.
- sound bar and wireless subwoofer
- delivers 3.1.3-channel sound enhanced by DTS:X and Dolby Atmos
- Meridian Technology expands, deepens, and widens the soundfield
- pairs with compatible 2022 LG TVs
- TV Sound Mode Share lets your sound bar take advantage of the TV's sound processing
- control sound bar modes with your LG TV remote
- works with the LG WOWCAST wireless transmitter for a sleek, lag-free connection to your TV (sold separately)
- allows passthrough of 4K and IMAX Enhanced content through HDMI
- supports HDR (High Dynamic Range), including HDR10 and Dolby Vision
- ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) passthrough for seamless gaming
- VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) passthrough (limited to 60Hz content)
- quickly adjust your audio with preset sound modes including cinema, music, sports, game, clear voice, and bass blast+
- AI Room Calibration Pro automatically tailors the sound to the characteristics of your room
- AI Sound Pro analyzes what you're watching and adjusts audio settings in real time to enhance sound quality
- plays high-res audio files up to 24-bit/96kHz
- upsamples compressed digital files for improved quality
- built-in Dolby decoding including Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Atmos
- supports DTS Digital Surround, DTS-HD Master Audio, and DTS:X
- total system power: 480 watts
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- connect to compatible LG TVs with Bluetooth
- built-in Spotify® Connect for music streaming (subscription required)
- compatible with Apple AirPlay 2 to allow wireless streaming from your iOS® devices
- Chromecast built-in for streaming music from the cloud with compatible mobile apps
- stream high-res music with services like TIDAL HiFi/HiFi Plus (subscription required)
- control the sound bar with your voice using a Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa device
- 8 built-in speakers powered by a 260-watt amplifier
- front left/right channels driven by 90 watts
- height left/right channels driven by 90 watts
- dedicated center channel driven by 40 watts
- height (center) channel driven by 40 watts
- designed to fit under TVs 55" or larger
- wall-mountable (bracket included)
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 39-7/16"W x 2-1/2"H x 5-3/8"D
- weight: 9.9 lbs.
- 8" woofer driven by a 220-watt amplifier
- bass reflex (ported) cabinet design
- wirelessly connects to the sound bar for flexible placement
- AC power required, cord included
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 8"W x 16"H x 16-1/8"D
- weight: 22.1 lbs.
Connections and general info:
- 1 HDMI input, 1 HDMI output (cable included)
- input is HDCP 2.3 compatible for connecting to copy-protected 4K video sources
- supports enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)
- 4K video passthrough with support for Dolby Vision and HDR10
- optical digital audio input (cable not included)
- USB input for playing music from a thumb drive
- plays MP3, AAC, OGG, FLAC, and WAV files
- includes remote control
- control the sound bar with a remote app using an Android smartphone or iOS device
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # S80QY
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- Two 5' AC power cords
- Remote control (AKB76038001)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 58" HDMI cable
- 2 Wall-brackets
- 2 Screws
- Wall Bracket Install Guide
- Simple Manual
LG S80QY reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the LG S80QY
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||3.1.3|
|Virtual Surround||Cinema Mode|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||Yes|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||Yes|
|Subwoofer Driver||8" Cone|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||260|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||220|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||Yes|
|Voice Control||Alexa & Google Assistant optional|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Pre-programmed|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 5.0|
|Bluetooth Audio Playback||Yes|
|Bluetooth Transmitter Mode||No|
|Online Music Sources||via Chromecast, Alexa|
|Apple AirPlay||AirPlay 2|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11ac|
|Bands||2.4, 5.0 GHz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-1/2H x 39-7/16W x 5-3/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||9.9 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||16H x 8W x 16-1/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||22.1 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Network, Bluetooth, & USB Audio
Remote & Convenience Features
Active Soundbar Speaker: The active soundbar speaker incorporates an eight driver array that includes front-firing front left, center, and front right channels; along with up-firing left, center, and right Dolby Atmos/DTS:X enabled channels. Each Front channel consists of a tweeter and woofer, while the Center channel and up-firing channels each consist of a full-range driver. All drivers are powered by a built-in 220W amplifier with 45 watts delivered to each of the Front Left and Right channels, as well as 45 watts delivered to each of the up-firing Height channels, plus 40 watts delivered to each of the Center channel and Height Center channel.
Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The wireless powered subwoofer houses a side-firing 8" woofer powered by a built-in 220W (RMS) amplifier inside a bass reflex cabinet with a front-firing port. Because its wireless, you can place the subwoofer almost anywhere in your room (up to 33' from the soundbar). The wireless powered subwoofer does require an AC power outlet connection.
High Resolution DAC with Meridian Horizon Technology: The LG S80QY employs a 24-bit/96kHz DAC (digital-to-analog converter) and incorporates Meridian Horizon Technology for high resolution audio that sounds closer to the real thing; it even transforms low-res audio to a 24-bit. Support of higher sampling rates and bit depth provide sound quality that surpasses CDs. You'll enjoy stunning 24-bit/96kHz audio resolution that is closer to the original sound. Meridian Horizon upmixes two-channel stereo to any loudspeaker configuration and its adaptive upmixing treats high and low frequencies separately, to psychoacoustically optimize sound localization cues. This results in more stable imaging, with a larger sweet-spot, and a more immersive listening experience.
AI (Artificial Intelligence): The S80QY incorporates LG's AI Room Calibration and AI Sound Pro to ensure the soundbar and subwoofer system sounds great in your room and with your source content. These artificial intelligent audio technologies optimize your listening experience every time, regardless of room configuration and source content.
- AI Room Calibration: AI Room Calibration is an automatic sound tuning technology that compensates for the environment the soundbar and sub is placed, by using sophisticated algorithms that improve the system's sonic performance. It uses the soundbar's integrated microphones and built-in spatial awareness software to measure your room's unique characteristics. It then balances the soundbar's audio settings to the environment (room) for optimized surround with a more accurate sweet spot that sounds natural and accurate.
- AI Sound Pro: AI Sound Pro automatically and intelligently analyzes source content in real-time to enhance sound quality. It automatically adjust sound levels (including Bass & Treble) based on the content you are watching and listening. From powerful action to dramatic dialog, you'll hear your entertainment with crystal-clear, detailed audio. If you have a 2021-up LG TV with AI Sound Pro, you can turn on the TV Sound Mode Share feature to allow for even more superiror audio processing power and additional sound effect modes.
Digital Surround Sound Formats: The LG S80QY soundbar and sub system supports the following multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI & optical digital inputs.
Digital Connector Audio Signal Type Audio Signal Format HDMI Bitstream
Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital
DTS:X, DTS HD, High Resolution, DTS HD Master Audio, DTS
PCM 2ch / 5.1ch / 7.1ch Optical Bitstream Dolby Digital, DTS PCM 2ch
3.1.3ch Surround Sound: The LG S80QY is capable of delivering up to 3.1.3-channel surround for Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and IMAX Enhanced.
- Dolby Atmos: With Dolby Atmos sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. Rather than being constrained to channels, sounds exist as individual entities that are precisely placed and moved in three-dimensional space. A new sensation of height immerses you in the action, creating a full audio atmosphere and realistically depicting objects moving overhead. Dolby Atmos renders everything from dialogue to quiet scenes to whirlwind action with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth. It all comes together in sound that excites your senses and inspires your emotions to deliver the full impact of entertainment.
- DTS:X: DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space.
- IMAX Enhanced: Get the most premium at-home entertainment experience with IMAX Enhanced. IMAX and DTS have partnered together with award-winning Hollywood sound mixers to create a special variant of the DTS:X codec technology integrated in home audio equipment (like the LG S80QY soundbar system) to deliver an IMAX signature sound experience that is dynamic, immersive, theatrical, and powerful.
Note: Because the soundbar does not have discrete surround drivers, surround channel information from Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos, DTS, DTS:X, and other surround formats are mixed with the soundbar's front channels and up-firing drivers.
HDM 2.1 Input/eARC Output: The LG S80QY soundbar speaker system is equipped with a HDMI 2.1 input and HDMI 2.1 eARC output that support up to 4K and HDR video pass-through with HDCP 2.3, plus support for VRR and ALLM. The HDMI jacks also support Dolby Digital/DTS multichannel audio formats (including Dolby Atmos & DTS:X). The eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) function of the soundbar's HDMI output enables an HDMI eARC capable TV to send its audio stream to the HDMI output of the soundbar system.
- 4K Pass-Through: 4K pass-through allows the S80QY to receive ultra high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K compatible TV or display monitor. The system supports 4K, 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and 480p video signals.
- HDCP 2.3: The soundbar's HDMI input and output also support HDCP 2.3, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission. HDCP 2.3 is supported by the soundbar system's HDMI input and output. HDCP 2.3 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- VRR + ALLM: When you connect a gaming console via HDMI, you can enjoy the reduced input lag and minimized screen tearing delivered by Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) technology for an enhanced gaming experience. Your gaming console and TV must also support VRR and ALLM. VRR pass-through is limited to 60Hz content.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K performance.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors. The LG S80QY supports the following HDR formats - HDR10 and Dolby Vision.
- HDR10: HDR10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Dolby Vision: Dolby Vision Content has dynamic metadata that is produced during content creation, capturing the dynamic properties of each scene. This dynamic metadata is used to optimize the picture brightness curve on a frame-by-frame basis. Dolby Vision is the preferred HDR format by major Hollywood Studios and delivers the cinematic experience the creator intended by optimizing the picture frame-by-frame.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best HDR performance.
eARC (Enhanced Audio Retain Channel): Along with standard ARC (Audio Return Channel), the LG S80QY supports eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel). ARC and eARC allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the soundbar system through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- eARC will support uncompressed audio formats like Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD), DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, DTS HD Master Audio, and 2/5.1/7.1ch PCM.
- ARC is limited to Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital Plus), Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS ES, and 2/5.1/7.1ch PCM.
- Your TV will also need to support eARC or ARC for this feature to work. Some newer TVs will support eARC, but most TVs only support ARC.
- The ARC-enabled HDMI input on some TVs will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable box, or Gaming console to the soundbar system directly; and then connect the system's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
LG WowCast (Optional): Use LG's WowCast (sold separately) for a wireless connection between the S80QY soundbar system and your ARC/eARC enabled TV to enjoy lossless, multichannel audio in a more convenient way. The WowCast can wirelessly transmit up to 7.1.4 channels and output Dolby Atmos/DTS:X for a more immersive audio experience when connected to an eARC enabled TV and the S80QY soundbar. The WowCast connects to your TV's ARC or eARC HDMI input for audio transmission and to your TV's USB port for power. It then wirelessly sends a lossless multichannel audio signal from your TV to the LG S80QY soundbar. The LG Sound Bar App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) will be required for setup.
- When used with a TV with an eARC HDMI input, the WowCast will support uncompressed audio formats like Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, DTS HD Master Audio, and LPCM.
- When used with a TV with an ARC HDMI input, the WowCast is limited to Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, and LPCM.
- The LG WowCast has limited range and should be mounted near the TV and compatible LG soundbar. It can be mounted to the back of the TV using double-sided tape.
- The LG WowCast only wirelessly transmits an audio signal (not video).
Optical Digital Input: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the LG S80QY is equipped with a optical (toslink) digital input. The optical digital input supports Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch), DTS (up to 5.1ch), and PCM (up to 2ch) audio signals. 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz sampling frequencies are supported.
- The digital optical output terminals of some flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
- The optical digital input does not support Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.
- The LG S80QY is not equipped with any analog audio inputs.
Sound Effect Modes: You can choose from preset Sound Effect Modes to tailer the system's sound to your application, content, and preference. You can choose from Standard, Music, Cinema, Sports, Game, and Night Mode.
- Standard: Standard mode provides a flat frequency response from the original 2ch or 5.1ch soundtrack.
- Music: The Music mode produces 2ch stereo sound that is enriched with Meridian Horizon technology for high resolution audio that sounds closer to the real thing.
- Cinema: The Cinema mode allows you to enjoy cinematic 3D sound produced by multiple audio channels from the speakers, regardless of the channels in the originally recorded content.
- Sports: The Sports mode delivers realistic sound like in a stadium.
- Game: The Game mode optimizes the system's sound for gaming.
- Night: Using Night mode, you can enjoy sound effects and hear the dialog clearly even at a low volume levels. This reduces the general sound volume, but raises the volume of soft and delicate sounds. This is useful when enjoying music or a movie late at night.
Sound Tuning: You can adjust the output level of the soundbar's center and front channels, as well as the output level of the powered subwoofer. You can also enhance the soundbar's vocal and dialog clarity, as well as boost the powered subwoofer's bass.
- Output Levels: You can adjust the bass & treble level of the soundbar's front-channel drivers; as well as the output level of the soundbar's discrete center-channel driver, up-firing drivers, and the output level of the system's powered subwoofer. You can also adjust the output level of the optional rear speaker kit (sold separately).
- Clear Voice: Voice sound clear, improving the quality of voice sound
- Bass Blast+: Bass Blast+ reinforces the system's low frequency bass response, resulting in more powerful sound.
- Auto Volume: The LG SL8YG features Auto Volume which automatically adjusts the volume level of the soundbar speaker system during loud and low passages, keeping the volume level constant across all programs and advertisements.
- DRC: The Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) function allows you to compress the dynamic range of Dolby Digital and DTS sound tracks. Only accessible from the LG Soundbar App for Apple iOS and Android.
Wireless Surround Ready: The S80QY soundbar system has been designed to integrate with LG's SPQ8-S wireless rear speaker kit (sold separately), adding dedicated rear channels with wireless convenience for 5.1.3ch surround sound. The SPQ80-S includes an amplifier/receiver unit and pair of speakers that link wirelessly to the LG soundbar.
Note: The LG Wireless Surround Sound Kit (SPK8-S) will require and AC power outlet connection and speaker wire connection. The kit's wireless receiver/amplifier receives its audio signal wirelessly from a compatible LG soundbar speaker. The rear surround speakers connect to the wireless receiver/amplifier using speaker wire. The wireless receiver/amplifier also requires connection to an AC power outlet.
Network, Bluetooth, USB Audio
Wireless Network Connectivity: The LG S80QY offers dual-band 2.4/5GHz WiFi (802.11ac) that allows you to wirelessly connect to your home network and access your internet provider. Via the wireless connection to your network and internet, you can enjoy select online music apps from Chromecast built-in with Google Assistant, AirPlay 2 with Siri, and Amazon Alexa. WiFi setup can be done via the LG Sound Bar App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+)
Note: There is no Ethernet (RJ45) LAN jack on this unit for a hardwired connection.
Works With Alexa: The LG S80QY Soundbar speaker system works with Alexa voice control using an external Alexa-enabled device (such as the Amazon Echo - sold separately). You'll need to download the LG Sound Bar App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) and the Amazon Alexa App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) to setup Alexa voice control. Using your voice and an external Alex-enabled device, you can stream Alexa compatible music apps (such as Amazon Music, Apple Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Tidal, Spotify, and more) to the LG soundbar. Simply ask for your favorite artist or song, or request a specific genre or mood - using only your voice.
- The LGS80QY does not feature a built-in microphone for Alexa; you'll need an external Alexa-enabled device (sold separately) to use Alexa voice control.
- The Alexa feature only supports audio streaming of compatible Alexa apps; it does not support control of other soundbar functions such as power on/off or source input selection.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast Built-in lets you cast many of your favorite music apps from your compatible Android or Apple iOS device to the LG S80QY. You'll be able to cast many of your favorite internet radio stations, online music services, and podcast to the LG active sound bar speaker system. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the LG S80QY. While you are casting, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing through the LG soundbar speaker system. Use the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) to setup Chromecast built-in on your mobile device and the LG S80QY active soundbar speaker system.
- Music & Radio: Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. Play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). For a list of all compatible Chromecast Built-in apps click here. You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 5.0+) device to the LG S80QY. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio: The LG S80QY delivers multiroom audio capability by adding additional Chromecast built-in speakers (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the built-in Google Assistant and your voice.
AirPlay 2 w/ Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the LG S80QY soundbar system and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the LG S80QY soundbar speaker and sub. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the LG S80QY.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the LG S80QY soundbar system from within the Spotify app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device, as well as your Windows PC or Mac computer. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world. Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists. Spotify offers free and paid services.
Built-In Bluetooth: The LG S80QY features built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with support for for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP), as well as wireless TV connectivity. You can pair up to multiple devices, but only one device can be connected and used at a time. The system has a wireless Bluetooth range of approximately 33'.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device (including smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer) to the LG soundbar system. In addition to the standard SBC Bluetooth codec, the system is also compatible with AAC for higher-quality playback from Apple iOS devices. Basic control (such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track) can be done from the included IR remote. Advanced music browsing and song/artist/album display will still need to be done through your Bluetooth source device (not the soundbar).
- Wireless TV Connection: You can even setup your Bluetooth-enabled TV to stream its audio wirelessly to the LG S80QY soundbar speaker system. When connected to a Bluetooth-enabled TV, the LG S80QY only decodes 2ch audio. Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby Digital, DTS, and other multichannel audio formats are not supported via Bluetooth. During a wireless Bluetooth connection, you can use the TV's remote or the soundbar's remote to raise and lower the volume.
USB-A 2.0 Port: The rear-panel USB-A 2.0 port allows you to connect a USB MSC (mass storage class) device for playback of select music files, including Hi-Res music files. Your USB MSC device (such as a USB thumbdrive) must be formatted in FAT 16, FAT 32, or NTFS with a maximum total of 2,000 folders and 2,000 files. You can control Folder/File Search, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Random/Repeat from the include IR remote. The USB port is rated at 5V/500mA and can also be used to charge small USB-enabled electronic devices. Compatible music files include -
- FLAC: 32-192 kHz (176.4 and 192 kHz will be down-converted to 96kHz) / 16 or 24-bit
- WAV: 32-192 kHz (176.4 and 192 kHz will be down-converted to 96kHz) / 16 or 24-bit
- MP3: 32-48 kHz / 8-320 kbps
- WMA: 32- 48 kHz / 56-128 kbps
- OGG: 32-48 kHz / 64-320 kbps
- This USB port does not support playback from Apple or Android iOS devices, laptops or computers, and USB hubs or card-readers.
- The USB port does not support playback of video or photo files from any device.
Remote & Convenience Features
Remote Control: The LG S80QY soundbar speaker system comes with an IR remote control. It is also pre-programmed to operate with select TV remote controls and supports HDMI-CEC.
- TV Remote Compatible: You can reduce remote control clutter by using your TV remote to operate the LG soundbar speaker system. Eight brands of television remotes are pre-programmed and currently supported (including LG, Samsung, Sony, Vizio, Philips, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sharp), enabling volume adjustment on the soundbar.
- HDMI-CEC (SimpLink): Some functions of the soundbar speaker system can also be controlled by your TV's remote when the speaker system and your HDMI-CEC compatible TV are connected via HDMI. Controllable functions by your TV's remote control include power on/off, volume up/down, and mute.
LG Sound Bar App: The LG Sound Bar App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) lets you setup and control various functions of the LG S80QY soundbar and sub system from you compatible smartphone or tablet device. The LG Sound Bar App requires a Bluetooth connection between your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device and the LG S80QY.
Top-Panel Controls: There are 5 buttons on top of the soundbar speaker. The buttons operate Power On/Off, Source Selection, Volume Up, Volume Down, and Bluetooth Pairing.
Mounting & Placement Options: The LG S80QY's active soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer offer flexible mounting & placement options.
- Soundbar: The active soundbar speaker can be positioned on a flat tabletop surface. The soundbar can also be wall mounted using the included wall-mount brackets (mounting screws not supplied). The soundbar should be centered above or below your flat-panel television. Make sure there are no obstructions above the the up-firing Dolby Atmos/DTS:X enabled drivers.
- Subwoofer: Because its wireless, you can place the subwoofer almost anywhere in your room (up to 33' from the soundbar). But, it is better to place the subwoofer near the soundbar for optimum sound quality. Turn it slightly toward the center of the room to reduce the wall reflections.
Auto Functions: The S80QY soundbar system recognizes audio input signals from HDMI, Optical, Bluetooth, and the LG Soundbar App so it can automatically switch to the appropriate source input. The soundbar system will turn itself off automatically when there is no audio signal for approximately 15 minutes.
Power Requirements: The active soundbar speaker and wireless powered sub will both need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The active soundbar speaker and wireless powered subwoofer both come with a detachable 5' AC power cord.
The LG S80QY replaces these items
- sound bar and wireless powered sub designed to complement LG TVs
- up-firing drivers plus support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X help deliver panoramic sound
- voice control via Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant devices (available separately)