About the LG UBK90
Get the best out of your 4K TV
The LG UBK90's front-panel USB port lets you play music or videos from a thumb drive or Android phone
Get the best out of your 4K TV
Since I upgraded to my LG OLED 4K TV, everything I watch looks better. But I geek out the most over shows and movies in true 4K. They just seem to pop off the screen. And the LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player will play Ultra HD Blu-ray discs with Dolby Vision — the absolute best-quality video source available today.
Ready for the best HDR formats
Ultra HD Blu-ray discs with HDR (High Dynamic Range) allow compatible TVs to display extremely bright and dark black picture content together within the same image. HDR content makes for serious eye candy on my new OLED TV — it stands out even among other, stellar-looking 4K videos.
And this player supports the required HDR 10 format, and the more sophisticated Dolby Vision format. Dolby Vision is one of the reasons I ended up going with the LG OLED. Dolby's dynamic system can adjust brightness and color levels on a scene-by-scene basis.
Netflix has a bunch of shows in Dolby Vision, and some of them look so realistic and vibrant that it actually adds to the storytelling. Take the brutal Western show Godless: the beautiful yet nightmarish landscape is practically one of the characters. Watching sunlight peek over a mountain and spill over the dusty terrain with true-to-life shading is truly a sight to see.
Top movie sound formats and flexible connections
This player has built-in support for the highest-quality surround sound formats, like Dolby® TrueHD and DTS Master Audio™. It also plays Dolby Atmos®-encoded discs. You simply set the HDMI audio output to "bitstream" when connected to an Atmos-capable receiver.
There are two HDMI outputs: one for sending audio to your home theater receiver and one for video directly to your TV. That means you can still play sound through receivers that don't have a free HDMI input that's HDCP 2.2 compatible. You can also use an optical digital connection to get surround sound from the player to your receiver.
Dual-band Wi-Fi means smooth 4K video streaming
Along with playing discs, you can use the UBK90 to stream Netflix® and YouTube. These are the two video services that offer the most 4K content available right now. And this player's dual-band Wi-Fi gives you the strong connection needed for streaming 4K. (We recommend having an internet speed of 20Mbps or faster for 4K streaming.)
- plays Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, 3D and standard Blu-ray discs, DVDs, CDs and rewriteable discs
- full 4K resolution video for use with Ultra HD TVs
- 4K video upscaling for standard Blu-ray and DVDs
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) for extended picture contrast and brightness on compatible TVs
- supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision
- Dolby Vision adjusts brightness dynamically for premium shading and depth
- supports lower resolutions when used with non-4K TVs
- plays Region A Blu-ray discs and Region 1 DVDs
Wireless Features and Technical Specs:
- dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi for smooth wireless streaming from Netflix and other video streaming apps
- HEVC for watching streamed 4K content from Netflix (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- selectable video resolution up to 3840 x 2160 pixels
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby® Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS®, and DTS-HD Master Audio
- can pass Dolby Atmos and DTS:X soundtracks when HDMI output is set to "bitstream" for decoding by a compatible receiver
- plays AAC, FLAC, MP3, and WMA audio file formats
- BD-Live and BonusView support for added bonus features with compatible discs (requires external USB storage device)
Connections and General Info:
- front-panel USB port to play music, movies, and images from external hard drives, thumb drives, or Android phones
- 2 HDMI outputs for separating audio and video signals
- HDMI 1 output is HDMI 2.0a (connected 4K TV and/or receiver must have an HDCP 2.2-compatible HDMI input, and must have HDMI 2.0a to support HDR)
- HDMI 2 input does not output video signal (audio only)
- optical digital audio output
- dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Ethernet port for downloading firmware updates
- remote control
- 16-15/16"W x 1-13/16"H x 9-3/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # UBK90
What's in the box:
- Ultra-HD Blu-ray player
- Remote control (AKB75135301)
- "AAA" battery
- Simple Manual
- Safety Information
- Warranty Card
LG UBK90 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the LG UBK90
Features & specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||---|
|4K Ultra HD||Yes|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Yes|
|Built-in Wi-Fi||802.11 b/g/n/ac|
|Smartphone App Control||No|
|DVD Video Upconversion||up to 4K|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Digital Optical Output||1|
|Digital Coaxial Output||None|
|Analog Audio Outputs||None|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||None|
Disc Compatibility: The LG UBK90 Ultra HD Blu-ray disc player is compatible with many disc types.
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||UHD BD-ROM, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE, 3D-BD|
|DVD||DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, CD-R, CD-RW|
Ultra HD Blu-Ray: Ultra HD Blu-ray provides these key features and advantages over standard Blu-ray.
- 4K Resolution: Ultra HD Blu-ray supports resolutions of up to 3840 x 2160 pixels. That's 4x as many pixels as Full HD televisions, and 27x as many pixels as Standard Definition televisions
- Wider Color Gamut: Ultra HD Blu-ray can display over 75% of the visible color spectrum; this is known as "Wider Color Gamut". That's more than twice the color range of current Ultra-HD TVs.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): Ultra HD Blu-ray also supports High Dynamic Range (HDR) video. Dynamic range is the difference between the brightest whites and the darkest blacks on screen. HDR means that scenes with high contrast can be shown with much greater clarity and detail.
- Smooth, Realistic Motion: Ultra HD Blu-ray supports progressive frame rates of 24, 25, 50 and 60 frames a second, enabling smoother, more realistic motion.
- Greater Capacity & Speed: Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs will be available in a dual layer 66 gigabyte disc and a triple layer 100 gigabyte disc. Ultra HD Blu-ray can stream video up to a maximum of 108/128 Mbps for 66Gb and 100Gb discs.
- Backward Compatible: Ultra HD Blu-ray players will play all current Blu-ray Disc & DVD content. When connected to a current Ultra-HD TV television, the player will output a standard Ultra-HD TV signal. Ultra HD Blu-ray players will support existing Blu-ray media, as well as provide down conversion and HDR to SDR conversion functionality to match the connected television's capabilities.
Note: Like standard BD, Ultra HD Blu-ray discs use region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. This Blu-ray player is region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Firmware & Software Updates: As Blu-Ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet. The player's Software Upgrade menu allows you to upgrade the player's software & firmware for these performance improvements & additional services. You can upgrade via Network or USB.
Note: Visit LG's Support Site for the latest firmware/software updates.
USB Port: The front-panel USB (type-A) port supports playback of a variety of video, photo, and audio files on a USB MSC (mass storage class) or MTP (media transfer protocol device). Compatible MSC devices include USB thumbdrives or external HDD(s) formatted in FAT32 or NTFS. An external HDD will require a separate power supply. Compatible MTP devices include Android smartphone & tablets (running Android OS 4.0 or later). The player can recognize up to 2,000 total files/folders.
Note: The USB port is not compatible with Apple iOS devices, USB hubs, card-readers, or computers.
Media File Formats: The LG UBK80 supports the following video, photo, and music files recorded onto BD-RE, BD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, and DVD-R discs; or downloaded onto a USB MSC/MTP device.
|Video||MPEG 1/2/4, AVI, MKV, WMV, XVID|
|Photo||JPEG, PNG, GIF, MPO (4000x3000 max)|
|Music||MP3/WMA (up to 48kHz), AAC/OGG (up to 96kHz), AIFF/FLAC/WAV (up to 192kHz)|
Ultra HD Premium: The LG UBK90 garners UHD Alliance's ULTRA HD PREMIUM logo which identifies products and services that meet or exceed strict performance levels for 4K resolution, high dynamic range (HDR), and wide color spectrum.
HDMI 2.0a Output + HDMI Audio Only Output: The LG Ultra HD Blu-ray player is equipped with dual HDMI outputs for separating audio and video signals (the "Sub" HDMI output does not output video signal). The HDMI-1 2.0a output can be used to carry both video and digital audio all in one cable. You can choose to use the HDMI-2 1.4 output to send audio only to your AV receiver and the HDMI 2.0a to send only video to your HDTV. The HDMI output resolution can be set to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 2160p (4K), or Auto.
Note: There is no analog video output.
HDR Compatible: The LG UBK90 Ultra HD Blu-ray player supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) video - including the HDR10 and Dolby Vision (future firmware update) formats. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail.
- HDR10: HDR10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata, Dolby Vision adjusts brightness, color, and contrast automatically for each scene (supports 12-bit color and 10,000 nits). Dynamic metadata carries information that maps every image to your TV's display capabilities, so you see more of what the content creator intended. As a result, Dolby Vision delivers incredible brightness, color, contrast, detail, and dimensionality.
Note: Please use a premium high speed HDMI cable with 18 Gbps and above to view Ultra HD and HDR content.
3D-Ready: The LG UBK90 UHD Blu-ray disc player supports 3D playback of high-definition (720p/1080p) 3D Blu-ray discs when connected to a 3D-Ready HDTV via HDMI, along with wearing a pair 3D vision glasses.
x.v.Color: This player can playback AVCHD discs using the x.v.Color format. x.v.Color offers a wider color range than normal DVD camcorder discs.
Display Mode: When the player's resolution is set to 1080p or 2160p, you can select the 24Hz mode for smooth presentation of film material (1080p or 2160p/24 Hz) with a HDMI-equipped display compatible with 1080p or 2160p/24 Hz input. You can select a 60Hz mode for video material.
TV Aspect Ratio Settings: You can select the aspect ratio according to your television. Choose from 4:3 Letter Box, 4:3 Pan Scan, 16:9 Original, or 16:9 Full. You cannot select 4:3 Letter Box or 4:3 Pan Scan when the Blu-ray player's resolution is et to 720p or higher.
Picture Adjustments: The following picture adjustments are available - Contrast, Brightness, Color, & Sharpness.
Bonus View: The Bonus View feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
Surround Sound Decoders: The LG UBK90 UHD Blu-ray player has built-in Dolby Digital and DTS surround processors with support for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, and DTS-HD Master Audio. Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD are only output via the player's HDMI output. You can set the unit's Digital Output (HDMI or Optical) to match the capabilities of your connected AV receiver.
|Disc Type||Audio Stream||PCM||Bitstream (Unprocessed)||Bitstream (Re-encode)|
|HDMI||Optical||HDMI||Optical||HDMI or Optical|
| Ultra HD Blu-ray |
|PCM||up to 7.1ch||2ch||up to 7.1ch||2ch||Dolby Digital/DTS|
|Dolby Digital||up to 7.1ch||2ch||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital/DTS|
|Dolby Digital Plus||up to 7.1ch||2ch||Dolby Digital Plus||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital/DTS|
|Dolby TrueHD||up to 7.1ch||2ch||Dolby TrueHD||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital/DTS|
|DTS||up to 6.1ch||2ch||DTS||DTS||Dolby Digital/DTS|
|DTS-HD||up to 7.1ch||2ch||DTS-HD||DTS||Dolby Digital/DTS|
|Dolby Digital||up to 5.1ch||2ch||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital|
|DTS||up to 6.1ch||2ch||DTS||DTS||DTS|
Note: If you have an AV receiver which decodes Dolby Atmos or DTS:X, you will need to set this UHD Blu-ray player's HDMI output to bitstream.
Optical Digital Output: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the UBK90 Ultra HD Blu-ray disc player features a digital optical (toslink) output. The optical digital output supports Dolby Digital, DTS, & PCM (2ch to 5.1ch) audio signals with a sampling frequency of 48, 96, or 192kHz.
Note: There is no analog audio output.
DTS Neo:6: If this Ultra HD Blu-ray player is connected to an AV receiver by HDMI connection, you can select the DTS Neo:6 mode to enjoy a matrixed surround sound from a 2-channel audio source. The DTS Neo:6 mode can be set to Off, Music, or Cinema.
DRC (Dynamic Range Control): DRC (Dynamic Range Control) allows you to listen to a movie at a lower volume without losing clarity of sound. This feature is only available for Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, and Dolby Digital Plus audio signals. DRC can be set to Auto, On, or Off.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The LG UBK90 supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the Ultra HD Blu-ray player's network & internet connection, you can enjoy select online entertainment services.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The LG UBK90 is equipped with an Ethernet (LAN) RJ-45 jack for connecting the UHD Blu-ray player to your home network and computer. A 10 Base-T or 100 Base-TX LAN port is required for wired connection to this player.
- WiFi (wireless LAN): The LG UBK90 offers built-in dual-band (2.4/5.0GHz) WiFi (802.11 b/g/n/ac) that allows you to wirelessly access the Internet and your home network. The player's built-in WiFi provides a wireless network connection for the unit with easy and quick setup. With this feature, you can easily connect to a wireless LAN and enjoy the benefits of networking in a cable-free environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with an 802.11 access point and internet connection. Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security; a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N or better router is recommended for 4K streaming.
Note: LG recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended for standard definition, 10 Mbps for high definition, and 20 Mbps for ultra-high definition.
Note: A wired Ethernet connection is recommended over a wireless WiFi connection for 4K content. If you desire a WiFi connection, then use a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router or better for 4K streaming.
BD-Live: BD-Live technology allows you to download and stream bonus content such as additional scenes, shorts, trailers, movie-based games, and more from a broadband internet and home network connections (fees may apply). The UBK90 features an Ethernet port and built-in WiFi to connect to the internet via your home network, and features USB (type-A) port for additional storage.
Note: You must have a minimum 1GB USB memory device inserted in the unit's USB slot in order to download content from BD-Live.
Start Up/Play Back Times: The LG UHD Blu-ray player has a start-up time of approximately 7.7 seconds. It takes approximately 27.7 seconds for a UHD Blu-ray disc to begin playback.
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the UHD Blu-ray player initially turned off & in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the player's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the UHD Blu-ray disc began playback.
Last Scene Memory: The LG UBK90 memorizes the last scene from the last disc that is viewed. The last scene remains in memory even if you remove the disc from the unit or switch off the unit. If you load a disc that has the scene memorized, the scene is automatically recalled.
Music During Slideshow: You can display photo files while listening to audio from a disc or USB device.
Parental Control: The LG UBK90 offers Parental Control settings to limit BD & DVD playback according to the age of the users. The parental control settings are protected by a custom 4-digit password.
Closed Caption: The LG UBK90 offers Closed Caption (CC) for the hearing impaired when viewing a BD or DVD disc. The disc must also be CC compatible (usually there is a "CC" logo on the disc jacket).
Audio Guidance: The UHD Blu-ray player will narrate some playback functions and menu settings to assist the visually impaired.
Auto Power Off: A screen saver appears when you leave the player in Stop mode for approximately 5 minutes. The unit will then automatically turn off within 15 minutes since the Screen Saver is displayed to save power.
IR Remote: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Ultra HD Blu-ray player. You can also program the IR remote to control select brands of TVs (including LG, Sony, & Samsung).
SIMPLINK (HDMI CEC): Some functions of the UBK90 can be controlled by your TV's remote control when the player is connected via HDMI to a SIMPLINK compatible LG TV or other brand of HDMI CEC compatible television. Controllable functions include Play, Pause, Scan, Skip, and Power Off.
61 questions already asked