Focusrite 2i2 Recording Kit
Audio interface with Audio-Technica microphone, Behringer headphones, cable and mic stand
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Focusrite 2i2 Recording Kit by Crutchfield's David Brown
A smart starter kit for home recording
I've dabbled in home music recording and podcasting. And if I was gonna start fresh, I'd snap up this kit in a heartbeat. The products were hand-picked to maximize value, without skimping on quality. You can absolutely produce a professional-sounding recording with this gear. You need only supply the computer and the musical talent or witty banter.
Solid, simple interface
I own this Focusrite interface and can vouch for its simplicity and quality. Two inputs are all most people need to get started. My favorite features are the halos around the input signal knobs. They light up green when you've got a clean signal and turn red when it starts to clip. It's super-useful for dialing in your levels before laying down a track. Anyone who's had to scrap a perfect take because of distortion knows what I'm talking about.
I've never run into latency (time delay) issues with my 2i2. And while I've never used the included Ableton Live software, I have a friend who loves it, despite having no experience beyond GarageBand® previously. Focusrite also includes Pro Tools First with the 2i2, in case Ableton doesn't work for you.
The right kind of mic for vocals
A condenser mic is a must for recording any kind of vocals. This Audio-Technica model gives you the sensitivity you need — it's much better than a dynamic mic for podcasting so you can clearly hear every word.
You also get a cable and stand thrown in for free! And the stand is not one of those tiny desktop stands. It's a legit full-size mic stand, which gives you lots of setup flexibility.
A pair of Behringer closed-back headphones rounds out the kit. They keep sound from leaking in or out, which is exactly why you should go with a closed-back design for recording.
- bundle includes:
- warranty: 1 year (interface), 2 years (mic), 3 years (headphones, with registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Scarlett 2i2 Interface Details:
- computer audio interface with 2 input and 2 output channels
- 2 newly redesigned Focusrite mic preamps
- super-low latency lets you record and monitor with software effects in real time
- bundled software includes Avid Pro Tools First, Ableton Live Lite, Focusrite Red Plug-in Suite, and more
- supports sample rates up to 192kHz
- powered by your computer via USB
- 2 front-panel XLR/TRS switchable mic/line/instrument inputs for use with microphones, electric guitars and basses, keyboards and drum machines
- two 1/4" balanced analog outputs for connecting powered studio monitors
- 1/4" headphone output
- USB 2.0 port for connection to a computer
- illuminated halos around gain knobs indicate signal clipping
- 6-7/8"W x 1-13/16"H x 3-15/16"D
Audio-Technica AT2020 condenser microphone details:
- designed for home studio recording
- side-address condenser microphone
- cardioid pattern for noise and feedback rejection
- low-mass diaphragm for extended frequency response
- includes stand adapter and storage bag