About the Sony KDE-42XBR950
Sony's gorgeous 42" XBR Plasma Wega is the next step in the evolution of plasma TVs. It joins Sony's 50" and 61" versions as being the first plasmas we've seen with a built-in HDTV tuner. That's one less box you'll have to buy and hook up!
The KDE-42XBR950 is a 2-piece system; the separate outboard "Media Receiver Unit" tuner/switcher also holds the key to this TV's spectacular picture quality. It houses Sony's latest Advanced Wega Engine multi-step video processing system. Wega Engine consists of three key technologies engineered and designed by Sony:
- Enhanced Direct Digital II: The first step in the digital processing chain, Direct Digital II includes an integrated 3D digital comb filter. This new circuit improves the video signal-to-noise ratio by reducing the number of digital-to-analog conversions.
- Digital Reality Creation MultiFunction V1: Upconverts NTSC (analog) signals to near-HD quality. This latest version of DRC lets you adjust the amount of enhancement based on the quality of the input signal, so you'll see clear, stable images no matter what the video source.
- Multi-Image Driver (MID X): Specially designed for "fixed-pixel" displays like plasma, MID X's primary job is to scale (convert) all incoming signals to match the panel's 1024 x 768-pixel resolution without degrading signal quality. It also provides unique picture-and-picture features like Twin View with scalable windows.
Sony has continued with their uniquely elegant "floating glass" design, which gave their 1st-generation XBR plasmas that strikingly different look. The black stripe framing the screen gives images extra pop. In fact, this plasma displays HDTV images with such clarity and depth that you'd swear you're looking out a window!
The KDE-42XBR950 boasts a wide assortment of inputs on the the Media Receiver Unit. You'll find two HD-compatible component video inputs, plus a pure digital DVI input for use with a satellite HDTV tuner, or one of the small but growing number of DVI-equipped DVD players. Three i.LINK® inputs make it easy to connect compatible A/V components like a digital camcorder (these inputs are not intended for use with a PC). You'll also find plenty of composite and S-video connections for your other video gear. A single "umbilical cord" connects the Media Receiver Unit to the plasma panel, keeping the look of your installation simple and clean.
An Enhanced Memory Stick® slot gives you a convenient way to enjoy not only digital photos, but now MP3 music files, too.
Tip: To find out if HDTV signals are available in your area, visit this helpful site and punch in your zip code.
Large Item Special Shipping: This item will be delivered and placed in any accessible room in your home. Delivery is available to physical addresses in the lower 48 states. (Sorry, no P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders.) Transit time is 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. Extra charges may apply for delivery after business hours or on a weekend, or if the item must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs.
Note: Free return shipping not available with this model.
- 42" HDTV panel (displays all signals at 768p)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- 1024 x 768 pixels
- 160° viewing angle
- high-contrast protective screen with double anti-reflective coating
- side-mounted stereo speakers (15 watts x 2)
- 53-1/4"W x 28-3/8"H x 4-3/8"D
- weight: 86 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor
Media Receiver Unit:
- HDTV (ATSC) tuner receives and decodes over-the-air digital HDTV/SDTV signals (antenna required)
- dual 181-channel NTSC tuners with Twin View 2-tuner PIP
- Advanced Wega Engine video processing
- adjustable DRC MultiFunction V1 (upconverts non-HD signals)
- CineMotion 3-2 pulldown processing
- SRS® TruSurround for enhanced 2-speaker sound
- multibrand remote control
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 3 composite video (2 rear, 1 front)
- 3 S-video (2 rear, 1 front)
- 2 rear-panel HD-compatible component video
(accepts 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
- 1 rear-panel DVI digital video input with HDCP copy protection
- 2 RF inputs (Antenna, Cable)
- 3 i.LINK (IEEE 1394) inputs (2 rear, 1 front)
- optical digital output for Dolby® Digital
- Enhanced Memory Stick slot (JPEG/MP3 playback)
- 16-15/16"W x 3-1/8"H x 14-15/16"D
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 0
What's in the box:
- This system comes in two separate boxes (Display Unit box/Media Receiver Unit box):
- The Display Unit box contains:
- PDM-4210 Display unit
- The Media Receiver Unit box contains:
- MBD-XBR950 Media receiver unit
- RM-Y1000 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Two 8' AC power cords
- 1 AC plug holder
- 9.5' Display interface cable (has a DVI-D connector and a proprietary 26-pin connector on each end)
- 8' Antenna cable
- 1 Cleaning cloth
- Operating Instructions (English)
- Operating Instructions (French)
- Operating Instructions (Spanish)
- Owner Registration Card
- US warranty sheet
- Canadian warranty card
- Required Public Statement for GPL/LGPL Licensed Software Used In This Television (English)
- Required Public Statement for GPL/LGPL Licensed Software Used In This Television (French)
- "Notes on the Plasma TV" sheet
- "Use of Cleaning Cloth" sheet
Sony KDE-42XBR950 reviews
Le falta mas puertos para conectar las tecnologias actuales, pero es muy buena y bonita. The TV needs more inputs for the newer technologies, but it's very good and very pretty.
0 of 0 found this helpful
More details on the Sony KDE-42XBR950
Features & specs
Mounting: To set up the KDE-42XBR950 requires either the SU-P42T2 tabletop stand or the SU-PW2 wall-mount bracket.
HDTV (ATSC) Tuner: The media receiver has a built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) tuner, so you don't have to purchase a separate digital set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV signals.
Native Resolution: Since the KDE-42XBR950 has a display resolution of 1024 x 768, all input signals will be displayed at 1024 x 768.
WEGA Engine System: Sony's Proprietary WEGA Engine System consists of 3 key technologies engineered and designed by Sony:
- Enhanced Direct Digital II Circuitry: The first step in the digital processing system, Direct Digital II circuitry with integrated 3D Comb filter, increases signal-to-noise ratio when converting the signal from analog to digital by reducing the number of Digital to Analog conversions.
- Digital Reality Creation Multifunction V1: Unlike conventional line doublers, the DRC Multifunction feature replaces the signal's NTSC waveform with the near-HD equivalent, while doubling the number of vertical and horizontal lines. This results in four times the density for quality sources, such as DVD, satellite, and digital camcorders. The Video Menu allows you to select high-density, progressive, or CineMotion output. The DRC Palette option lets you customize the level of detail (Reality) and smoothness (Clarity) to create up to three custom palettes.
- Multi-Image Driver (MID-XU): The Multi-Image Driver maintains the integrity of a converted signal by minimizing image loss in the scaling process, providing unique flexible Twin-View picture and picture features.
Digital Component Processor: The digital component processor makes the necessary adjustments to improve overall contrast and sharpness. It calculates these improvements by analyzing the signal and parameter of the plasma panel.
Plasma Panel Driver LSI: The redesigned plasma panel driver LSI has been integrated with the digital component processor for greater contrast range and image quality that's crisp and dynamic.
CineMotion 3/2 Pulldown Processing: This function provides an optimized display by automatically detecting film content and applying a reverse 3/2 pulldown process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural-looking.
3D Digital Comb Filter: Sony's 3D digital comb filter analyzes picture information horizontally, vertically and over time. You will get high resolution under most picture conditions.
HD Detailer Wideband Video Amplifier: All televisions have a video amplifier, the device that takes the original video source and "amplifies" it to deliver a useable signal to your television screen. The bandwidth rating of a video amplifier determines the amount of detail that can be displayed on a television. Sony's HD Detailer wideband video amplifier delivers great detail on even the finest images by getting the most out of high-bandwidth sources.
High Contrast Protective Screen: This television has a screen with a scratch-resistant dark tint surface that increases black level, resulting in brilliant colors.
Double Anti-Reflective Coating: This treatment is applied to the high-contrast screen so pictures remain vivid and contrast remains rich and vibrant. In addition, the double anti-reflective coating eliminates glare from room lights.
Twin View: Using the Multi-Image Driver, Twin View allows you to watch two programs side-by-side with the ability to zoom in on one picture and listen to the program in the selected window. You can watch pictures from two different sources (1080i, 720p, 480p, or 480i) simultaneously.
Note: Only the left Twin View window can display 1080i, 720p, and 480p sources.
Freeze Function: This function allows you to temporarily capture a program's picture. The TV switches to Twin View mode and displays the "frozen" picture on the right, while the current program continues on the left. This function only works in normal view mode; if you are in Twin View mode already, it will not work.
Favorite Channel: This feature allows you to store and quickly access 16 of your favorite channels.Favorite Channel Preview: This feature allows you to preview up to 16 favorite channels without leaving the current channel.
Video Mode: You can select Vivid, Standard, or Pro. The Vivid setting enhances picture contrast and sharpness. The Standard setting displays a standard picture for normal viewing environments. The Pro setting displays a picture with minimum enhancements.
Wide Screen Modes: You can select a default screen mode to use for 4:3 sources. While watching a channel, you can use the Wide Mode button to cycle through the wide screen modes. If the 4:3 Default is set to anything but Off, the wide screen mode setting changes only for the current channel. When you change channels, the wide mode is automatically replaced with the 4:3 Default setting. You can choose from the following screen wide screen mode options:
- Wide Zoom: select to enlarge the 4:3 size picture, while the upper and lower parts of the picture are condensed to fit the 16:9 screen
- Normal: returns the 4:3 picture to normal mode
- Full: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the wide screen
- Zoom: enlarges
the 4:3 picture horizontally and vertically to an equal aspect ratio that
fills the 16:9 screen
- Note: Wide Mode is not available while in Twin View, or when viewing 1080i and 720p sources.
Vertical Center: This feature allows you to move the position of the picture up and down in the window.
Vertical Size: This feature allows you to adjust the vertical size of the picture.
Steady Sound: This feature stabilizes the volume level, preventing unwanted blasts of sound during commercials.
Sound Effects: To enhance the sound, you can choose one of the following effects:
- Virtual Dolby: provides Dolby Pro Logic surround sound
- TruSurround: adds a three-dimensional sound to stereo programs
- Simulated: adds a surround-like effect to mono-channel programs
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60, or 90 minutes.
Timers: This unit has two timers that can be set by day, time, duration, and channel.
Memory Stick Viewer: This television has a front-panel Memory Stick slot that is compatible with JPEG images taken with Sony digital still cameras and MPEG1 movies taken with Sony digital cameras and camcorders. You can use Memory Stick Duo if you have a Memory Stick Duo adapter. In addition to images, the Memory Stick Viewer will play back MP3 files.
Memory Stick Index: The Memory Stick Index displays thumbnail images of the files stored on a Memory Stick. You can individually highlight and display any image in the Index.
Viewing Still Images: When viewing a still image, you can increase or decrease the magnification. When you zoom in on the image, you can pan across the photo using the transport buttons on the remote. In addition, you can rotate the image 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise.
Playing Movies: When viewing a movie on a Memory Stick, you can enlarge the movie window for easier viewing. During playback, you can pause the movie or move to the previous or next movie on the Memory Stick.
Slide Show: You can view JPEG images or MPEG1 movies in a Slide Show. The Slide Show menu includes the following options:
allows you to select background audio to play during the Slide Show:
- Play All: plays all MP3 files on a Memory Stick
- Piano: plays the MP3 file stored in the TV's internal memory
- List of MP3 Files: displays a list of all MP3 files found at the top level (root) of the Memory Stick
- Complete List: displays a list of all available MP3 files on the Memory Stick
Effect: allows you to select an effect to be used when advancing to the
next file in the Slide Show:
- Fade: uses a cross fade
- Wipe (up, down, left, right): uses a linear sweep that moves across the screen, revealing the next image while covering the previous image
- Random: randomly cycles through all transition effects
- Slide Duration: allows you to specify a timed slide advance after a selected time interval; you can select 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, or 5 minutes
- Repeat: plays the Slide Show repeatedly
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other brands of A/V components, including VCRs, laserdisc players, DVD players, cable boxes, and satellite receivers. In addition, the remote can control certain Sony AV receivers and 5.1 DVD AV systems.
System Connections: The display has a white DVI-D input and black proprietary 26-pin input and the media receiver has a white DVI-D output and black proprietary 26-pin output. The components are connected using the supplied display interface cable.
i.LINK: The media receiver has three i.LINK inputs, one on the front panel and two on the rear-panel, allowing the display to be used with compatible i.LINK-equipped A/V components.
Note: These terminals are not intended for use with personal computers.
Video 6 DVI-HDTV In: Although the media receiver has a built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) tuner, this input allows you to connect an optional digital set-top box. This input consists of left and right RCA audio jacks and a DVI-D terminal. The DVI-D terminal can accommodate a copy-protected digital connection (HDCP) to other devices (such as digital set-top boxes) that have compatible interfaces. The DVI-D terminal is compliant with the EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers.
Note: The DVI-D input will accept 1080i, 720p, and 480p signals.
Component Video Inputs: Although the media receiver has a built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) tuner, these inputs allow you to connect an optional digital set-top box. The component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i signals.
Optical Out: The media receiver has a rear-panel Toslink optical digital output with a plastic protective cover.
Audio Out: The media receiver has a rear-panel audio output, which consists of left and right RCA audio jacks. Using the menu, you can select one of the following audio out settings: Fixed or Variable.
Subwoofer Out: The subwoofer RCA jack allows you to add a powered subwoofer to this display.
- Display Unit: W=53.25", H=28.375", D=4.375"
- Media Receiver: W=16.9375", H=3.094", D=14.9375"