About the Audioengine HD3/TEAC TN-400S Bundle
A system that looks as good as it sounds
A system that looks as good as it sounds
Vinyl records produce a sound that is so warm, rich, and detailed — why not play them on a system that has an elegant look? This TEAC TN-400S turntable is matched with a pair of powered Audioengine HD3 speakers — both in a gorgeous walnut finish. You can have your record-playing system up and running shortly after unboxing each piece.
The turntable's built-in phono preamplifier lets you plug straight into the speakers — no separate receiver or amplifier necessary. And a dedicated USB output makes it easy to transfer your albums to your Mac® or Windows® PC for digital archiving.
The turntable's built-in phono preamp allows you to plug directly into the powered speakers with no need for a receiver in-between.
Enjoy soulful vinyl sound from a well-made turntable
It's truly impressive how much clever engineering goes into something so pretty to look at. Under the TEAC TN-400S' polished exterior is a heavy MDF base designed to resist external vibration. A dense die-cast aluminum platter spins on a polished stainless steel spindle and bronze bushing that minimize friction for smooth, silent rotation.
The turntable's variable-speed belt-drive system isolates motor vibration, and its ability to play 33-1/3, 45, and 78 rpm discs will delight serious vinyl collectors. The curved aluminum tonearm — equipped with an Audio-Technica AT100E moving-magnet cartridge — ensures super-accurate tracking and satisfying, rich tonal accuracy.
Convenient wireless desktop speakers
Audioengine HD3 speakers don't take up much space, and they offer a convenient stereo RCA connection on the back of the left-hand speaker for connecting the output of the turntable's built-in preamp. Two 15-watt amplifiers power the speakers, so you can share your favorite tracks.
They're no one-trick pony, though. You can also use Bluetooth with aptX® technology to connect to your mobile device from up to 100 feet away, and listen to high-quality streaming tunes. There's also a USB input so you can get great sound from your computer. When it's quiet time in your home, use the headphone jack on the front of the left speaker to jam in your own little world.
- all-in-one bundle for high-performance stereo sound from your records, computer, and portable music players
TEAC TN-400S Turntable:
- built-in phono preamp with line-level audio and integrated USB output (Windows® and Mac® compatible)
- recording software not included (TEAC recommends Audacity, a free sound recording and editing software program available at audacity.sourceforge.net)
- 12" aluminum die-cast platter with heavy rubber mat to protect records from scratches
- S-shaped tonearm with universal headshell for improved tracking
- includes pre-mounted Audio-Technica AT100E moving magnet cartridge
- high-density MDF base minimizes unwanted resonance for better sound
- 33-1/3, 45, and 78 rpm speeds
- 78 rpm playback of some older pressings requires Audio-Technica VM670SP or similar stylus (stylus not included)
- wow and flutter: 0.2%
- signal-to-noise ratio: 67 dB
- gold-plated RCA audio jacks
- 16-9/16"W x 4-5/8"H (with dust cover down) x 14-9/16"D
- weight: 10.8 lbs.
Audioengine HD3 Powered Speakers:
- two 15-watt RMS amplifiers built into left speaker
- frequency response: 65-22,000 Hz (±2dB)
- each speaker features:
- one 3/4" silk dome tweeter
- one 2-3/4" Kevlar mid/woofer
- front-mounted volume control on left speaker
- ultra-rigid MDF cabinets reduce vibration and eliminate unwanted resonance
- furniture-grade finish
- detachable magnetic grilles
- inputs and outputs:
- front headphone output
- rear micro USB input
- rear stereo minijack input
- rear RCA stereo input
- RCA stereo line output
- 4-1/4"W x 7-3/16"H x 7-1/4"D (each)
- weight: 4 lbs. (left powered speaker)
- weight: 3.4 lbs. (right passive speaker)
- warranty: 1 year turntable, 3 years speakers
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Teac TN400 + HD3
What's in the box:
- The Audioengine / Teac bundle consists of the Audioengine HD3 powered speakers and the Teac TN-400S turntable (both individually packaged).
- The Audioengine HD3 speaker box includes:
- Powered speaker (walnut)
- Passive speaker (walnut)
- 2 Grilles (pre-installed)
- AC power supply (attached 6' DC cord)
- 6' AC power cord
- Bluetooth antenna
- 5' microUSB-to-USB cable
- 6.5' Speaker cable (banana connectors on each end)
- 5' Stereo minijack cable
- 2 Microfiber speaker bags
- Microfiber cable bag
- Quick Start Guide
- Product Line Brochure
- The Teac TN-400S turntable box includes:
- Turntable (walnut)
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 58" DC cord)
- 3 AC plug inserts (US/EU/UK)
- 39" Stereo RCA cable
- Felt mat
- 45 RPM adapter
- Headshell w/ cartridge
- Dust cover w/ 2 hinges (pre-installed)
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Card
- AC power adapter instructions
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Audioengine HD3/TEAC TN-400S Bundle
Precision Belt-Drive Turntable: The TEAC TN-400S turntable features a Neoprene coated, high-inertia aluminum die-cast platter driven by a high torque-DC motor and a newly designed, low-friction spindle delivering precise speed consistency and tonal accuracy. Dimensions: Width 16.5625", Height 4.5625", Depth 14.5625", Weight 10.8 pounds.
3-Speeds: The TN-400S will play LPs, EPs, and singles at 33-1/3, 45 and 78 RPM.
Heavy MDF Plinth: The turntable's heavy MDF plinth is designed to minimize unwanted resonance, while the sleek, walnut or matte bordeaux finishes deliver a sophisticated and stylish accent to fit decor design.
S-Shaped Tone-Arm: The static-balanced S-shape tone-arm with Universal head-shell ensures fast and easy setup and delivers excellent tracking.
Audio-Technica AT100E MM Cartridge: The TN-400S comes with a replaceable Audio-Technica AT100E MM equivalent cartridge designed for highly accurate reading. As soon as you set up the TN-400S you can enjoy the high quality sound with outstanding clarity and detail.
Built-in Phono Equalizer w/ Phono and Line Output: Thanks to its built-in MM Phono equalizer amplifier, the TN-400S supports Phono or Line output which allows you to play vinyl with a stereo that is or isn't equipped with Phono input.
Gold-Plated Terminals: A pair of gold-plated RCA connectors are employed for reliable, durable connection to your receiver's Line Level or Phono input. Gold-plated terminals on the head shell connectors prevent oxidation of the head shell connectors and help to ensure years of reliable performance and to deliver stunning audio fidelity.
USB Port For Digital Recording: You can transfer music from vinyl records to your Mac computer or Windows PC, using the turntable's USB 2.0 digital output and its built-in A/D converter. The TI-made A/D converter allows you to transfer music via USB to your Windows PC or Mac computer, so you can digitize your vinyl collection. CD quality (16-bit/48kHz) digital archiving preserves your vinyl collection on your computer or laptop.
Supported Operating Systems: Computers running the following operating system can be connected by USB to this turntable.
- Window OS: Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 8 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 8.1 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 10 (32-bit/64-bit)
- Mac OS X: OS X Lion (10.7), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), OS X Mavericks (10.9), OS X Yosemite (10.10), OS X El Capitan (10.11), macOS Sierra (10.12)
Note: This unit will run with standard OS driver, so there is no need to install a special driver.
Dust Cover: The TEAC TN-400S comes with a detachable dust cover.
Audioengine HD3 Powered Speakers: The Audioengine's HD3's speaker cabinets, drivers, innovative bass port design, amplifier, and passive crossover network are critically tuned together, providing a more efficient system requiring less power than passive speakers and external amplifiers. The HD3 is not a "box-built" system with off-the-shelf parts, but includes custom-designed components constructed to Audioengine's specifications for high quality, high performance sound.
Two-Way Driver Design: The Audioengine HD3 employs a two-way driver design. Each speaker is outfitted with a 0.75" silk dome tweeter and a 2.75" kevlar cone woofer for a wide stereo soundstage.
- Silk Dome Tweeter: The HD3 uses an audiophile-quality, Ferro fluid-cooled silk dome tweeter with a neodymium magnet. Silk tweeters hold up well under high power and the edge-driven design gives very smooth response.
- Kevlar-Woven Woofer: The woofer used is a Kevlar woven glass aramid composite with rubber surround. Kevlar is obviously very strong, which means the woofer retains its shape when being driven at high levels.
- Dimensions: Width 4.25", Height 7.0", Depth 7.25"
- Weight: 4.0 pounds
Built-In Amplifier: The amplifier in the Audioengine HD3 is located in the left speaker and are a conservatively-rated class A/B analog monoblock design. This is a more traditional speaker/amplifier configuration which provides excellent quality audio and greater flexibility. All circuit boards for the power and preamp sections are vertically mounted for maximum mechanical shock protection. The built-in power amplifier saves space and eliminates the need to connect Audioengine HD3 to a stereo receiver or external power amp.
Note: The included 6.5' speaker wire connects from the left speaker's binding-post terminals to the right speaker's binding post terminals to power the right speaker.
Hand-Built Cabinets: The Audioengine HD3's speaker cabinets are hand-built with furniture-grade finishes. The HD3 cabinets are available in several handsome finishes, including walnut and cherry veneers as well as satin black and white paint; offering a wide choice for complementing room furnishings. Also included are detachable grills that add further aesthetic advantages as they are firmly held in place with hidden neodymium magnets for a clean look.
Front-Slot Port: One of the reasons the Audioengine HD3 has such great bass response for a compact speaker is its slot-ported cabinet. Each cabinet features a rear-firing slot-port that has been specifically tuned for accurate bass down to 65Hz. The result is low end with minimal audible air turbulence, so you can use the Audioengine HD3 speakers with or without a separate subwoofer.
24-bit Upsampling DAC: The HD3's built-in Bluetooth receiver and USB input both utilize the AKM AK4396A DAC, widely known for its low-noise and high-fidelity. The AK4396A is used as an upsampling DAC and will pad all bit depths to 24-bits, achieving a higher signal-to-noise ratio and lower noise floor. Due to the high signal-to-noise specs of the AK4396A, the fact that digital signal is upsampled to 24-bits, as well as the added benefit of onboard triple redundancy power source conversion and filtering, the HD3 Bluetooth implementation presents impressive low noise and low distortion characteristics with a noticeable improvement over many other Bluetooth devices.
Bluetooth Music Streaming The Audioengine HD3 incorporates built-in Bluetooth (version 4.0) for wireless music streaming of stored music and music apps on your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows PC/Phone, Mac computer/laptop, and more to the powered speaker system. You will continue to control your music and view song/artist information from your Bluetooth-enabled device.
- SBC, AAC, and aptX Codecs: The HD3 powered speakers feature aptX coding (for Android) which is an advanced Bluetooth audio codec with "CD-quality" like sound. And even if your phone or tablet doesn't have aptX, the HD3 Bluetooth solution is backwards-compatible with SBC and AAC (for iPhone) codecs, so you can wirelessly stream music from any Bluetooth-enabled device and still enjoy all your music.
- 100' Wireless Range: Most Bluetooth products have very limited range (only up to 30'), typically within just one room. But with careful signal management circuitry and antenna tuning, the HD3 offers a superior solution that has up to 3x the range (up to 100') of standard Bluetooth for multiroom use, with no degradation in audio quality.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Audioengine HD3.
microUSB Input: The Audioengine HD3 is fitted with a microUSB input that can be used to playback music files from your Windows PC or Mac computer (no separate USB driver necessary). Simply use the included microUSB-to-USB cable to connect the HD3 to a free USB port on your computer. The microUSB input bypasses your computer's built-in low-quality DAC and utilizes the HD'3 24-bit upsampling DAC for a high-end listening experience. The Audioengine HD3's microUSB port supports music files up to 24-bit/44.1kHz or 48kHz.
Audiophile-Quality Headphone Amp: The Audioengine HD3 features an audiophile-quality, dedicated headphone amplifier with front-panel headphone output. The HD3's high-performance headphone amplifier is based on the OPA2134 low-noise opamp. This amp is able to provide low-impedance, high-fidelity audio and a 2-volt output which easily drives a wide range of headphones
Dual Aux Inputs: The HD3 is equipped with two analog Aux inputs. There is a stereo minijack (3.5mm) input and a stereo RCA input for connecting analog audio devices.
Variable Audio Output: The Audioengine HD3 includes a variable stereo preamp audio output so you can connect a powered subwoofer (such as the Audioengine S8), other Audioengine powered speakers, or an Audioengine wireless adapter (sold separately) to daisy-chaining music to other systems around the house. This output is variable (adjustable) so the volume level can be controlled from the HD3.
Front-Panel Rotary Knob: The HD3's front-panel rotary knob allows you to turn the speaker system on or off, as well as adjust the volume level up or down.
Power Requirements: The Audioengine HD3's left speaker plugs into an AC power outlet using the included AC power adapter and AC power cord.
Break-in Period: The speaker will sound great out of the box and will get better over time. You should give them at least 30-50 hours of break-in time before doing any critical listening.
2 questions already asked