About the Definitive Technology Demand D17
The Demand Series flagship
The Demand Series flagship
I've long been a fan of Definitive Technology products. And after visiting one of their R&D facilities near Baltimore in 2019, I came away even more impressed by the company's approach to building superb-sounding loudspeakers.
The Demand Series D17 is a perfect example of why. This matched pair of high-tech towers leverage Def Tech's three decades of design expertise to deliver the magnificent signature sound the company is known for. Use them with confidence as part of your hi-fi stereo system, or as the front channels of a Demand Series home theater system.
Each Demand D17 features two 10" side-firing passive radiators that help deliver tight, accurate bass with music and movies.
A tweeter designed with music in mind
Part of what makes the D17 excel at music reproduction is its unique tweeter design. Each speaker's 1" aluminum dome tweeter is offset from the midrange and bass drivers by half an inch. This helps create a wide listening "sweet spot," along with a lifelike soundstage.
The tweeters also benefit from Def Tech's 20/20 Wave Alignment Lens™ technology, which helps ensure ultra-clear highs that sound good no matter where you're sitting.
Musically rich midrange and bass
Each D17 sports two 6-1/2" Balanced Double Surround System (BDSS) carbon fiber woofers for accurate, punchy bass. Dual side-firing 10" side-firing passive radiators in each cabinet helps increase bass extension.
Love listening from different spots around your room? Definitive Technology employs a Linear Response Waveguide™ on each 6-1/2" midrange driver for improved off-axis imaging compared to traditional driver designs.
You'll want a powerhouse amp to drive the D17s
All of this design technology adds up to terrific sound — provided that you have enough power to properly drive them. I highly recommend a high-output power amp or integrated amp to power these speakers. Or if you're using them for surround sound, consider a high-current home theater receiver for your system.
Bi-amp or bi-wire for the best performance
Each tower comes equipped with two pairs of speaker inputs for bi-amping or bi-wiring. Since the D17s don't include any speaker wire, consider reading our article on choosing and installing speaker wire to find the best option for your system.
- matched pair of floor-standing speakers for music or home theater
- 3-way, 4-driver design
- 1" aluminum dome tweeter with 20/20 Wave Alignment Lens for smooth, clear highs
- each tweeter is offset by 1/2" for improved stereo imaging and high-frequency performance
- 6-1/2" midrange driver with Balanced Dual Surround System™ (BDSS) technology for outstanding control and clarity
- Linear Response Waveguide provides smooths off-axis frequency response and even sound dispersion
- dual 6-1/2" carbon fiber woofers for tight, clean bass
- dual opposing side-firing 10" passive radiators for increased bass extension
- frequency response: 42-22,000 Hz (-3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 40-300 watts
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- high-gloss lacquer finish with an attractive extruded aluminum front baffle
- dual sets of binding post speaker terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- removable magnetic cloth grilles
- 10-1/4"W x 42-3/4"H x 14-3/4"D (each)
- weight: 64 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the box:
- Left floorstanindg loudspeaker
- Right floorstading loudspeaker
- 2 Grilles
- 4 Jumper-straps (pre-installed)
- 2 Bases
- 8 Spike feet
- 8 Floor-glides
- 8 Lock-rings
- 8 Screws
- Cleaning cloth
- Owner's Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Definitive Technology Demand D17
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||6.5|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||5-way Post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||42-22k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter: The 1" annealed aluminum tweeter is precision engineered to articulate nuance and detail in the high-frequency bands for a crystal-clear listening experience. Offsetting the tweeter by 5° delivers a more precise center stereo image by eliminating undesirable symmetric diffraction off the corners of the front baffle.
- 20/20 Wave Alignment Lens: Coupled with Definitive's new 20/20 Wave Alignment Lens, the 1" annealed aluminum dome tweeter delivers smoother high frequency response and improved dispersion for a rich and balanced listening experience.
- Linear Response Waveguide: A patented Linear Response Waveguide extends both on and off axis frequency response, while improving dispersion for more natural mid-range timbre and more precise imaging.
Note: Because the tweeters are offset, the D17 floorstanding speakers are labeled for left (L) and right (R) on back of the cabinet.
6.5" BDSS Midrange Driver: A patented 6.5" Balanced Double Surround System (BDSS) polypropylene midrange driver provides greater excursion and output that results in superior midrange detail and punchier midbass compared to drivers of similar size. The speaker's balanced double surrounds support the cone at two points to provide better mechanical stability for longer, more linear excursion, and improved damping to suppress cone resonance.
Two 6.5" Carbon-Fiber Woofers: The D17 floorstanding loudspeaker features two dedicated 6.5" woofers for low frequency, bass reproduction. Carbon-fiber offers greater rigidity to the cone for deeper bass notes, while preventing cone distortion that can occur with other less rigid materials. Carbon-fiber is a strong but light material, ideal for sound reproduction. It ensures that the woofers are sturdy yet light, able to handle higher excursion without deforming and provides deeper, clean low frequency.
Dual Passive Bass Radiators: Two opposing side-firing 10" passive bass radiators produce superior low-end extension for bigger and deeper bass response. Plus, the addition of a larger spider reduces rocking and increases linearity for deep, tight, clean bass response.
Premium Hi-Fi Crossover: The Demand Series crossovers integrate the latest in design and premium Hi-Fi quality parts. Polypropylene metal-film capacitors and air-core inductors deliver low distortion, high-clarity circuits for the circuits for the tweeter, and signal linearity for the low frequency reproduction, without compromising the midrange.
Hand Crafted Cabinet w/ Acoustically Transparent Magnetic Grille: The speaker cabinett is constructed from MDF with an extruded natural bead-blasted aluminum front baffle. The cabinet is hand-crafted, meticulously sanded, painted with five layers of premium gloss paint, and then buffed for a near-mirror finish (Level 6) for an uncompromising look in your home. The floorstanding loudspeaker also comes with an acoustically transparent magnetic grille. The included acoustically transparent magnetic speaker grills provides natural, uncolored sound when placed on the speaker, and remove easily when you want to enjoy looking at them fully uncovered.
Gold-Plated, Dual Binding Posts: The floorstanding loudspeaker has two sets of gold-plated, 5-way binding posts connected by jumper-straps. The gold-plated binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade-lugs, & banana plugs (single or dual). Using the dual posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeaker. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
- If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumper-straps between the terminal posts on both speaker (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeaker).
- In order to use banana plugs, you must completely unscrew the binding-post terminals and remove the rubber caps. Once you have removed the rubber caps, you can fully screw down the binding-post terminals and connect your banana plugs (sold separately).
Cast Aluminum Base w/ Interchangeable Feet: The D17 floorstanding loudspeaker is supported by a sturdy, cast aluminum base. The cast aluminum base requires installation and screws into the bottom of the speaker cabinet. The base's wide footprint increases overall stability of the floorstanding speaker, while the addition of spikes or floor glides help keep your speakers firmly in place whether on carpet or other solid floor surfaces like hardwood or tile. The spike feet are great for carpeted flooring, but can scratch solid floor surface. Use the floor glides for hardwood, vinyl, ceramic, and laminate flooring.
- Dimensions with Floor Glides: 10.25" (w) x 42.75" (h) x 14.75" (d)
- Dimensions with Spike Feet: 10.25" (w) x 43.3125" (h) x 14.75" (d)
Note: The D17 floorstanding speaker should always be use with the cast aluminum base for maximum sound performance and greater stability
Placement Options: The Definitive Technology D17 floorstanding loudspeaker is very flexible in terms of positioning. However, each D17 floorstanding loudspeaker is designated as either a left or right speaker, so make sure to position the pair so that the tweeters are on the outside.
- Place the pair of D17 floorstanding loudspeakers in an equilateral triangle (7'-10' apart) with the main listening position. You will also get good results if the listeners are a bit farther away. Toeing the speakers in slightly, toward your listening area will also provide a stronger center image.
- Ideally, the speakers should be placed 1' to 2' from room boundaries, such as large pieces of furniture, walls and especially corners. Placing a speaker closer to room boundaries increases bass, but may result in a "boomy" or bass-heavy sound and degradation of stereo imaging. Try varying the speaker's distance from the rear walls, side walls, and corners until the best balance between low frequency extension and clarity is achieved. If you cannot get the speakers at least 1' from the room boundary, treat the adjacent room boundaries with absorbing or diffusing material to improve performance.
Demand Series: The Definitive Technology Demand Series loudspeakers deliver full-range, room-filling sound and precise imaging in a modern, elegant styling. Featuring technology advancements to both Definitive's aluminum dome tweeter and midrange/woofer sections, these speakers deliver an unrivaled sweet spot, smoother high-frequency reproduction, and three-dimensional imaging for a technically-advanced, premium listening experience. Definitive Technology's Demand Series consists of two floorstanding loudspeakers (D15/D17), three bookshelf loudspeakers (D7/D9/D11), and a center-channel loudspeaker (D5C).
Optional Powered Subwoofer: Add one of Definitive Technology's powered subwoofers (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) for bigger, deeper, and more dynamic bass response.