About the Audioengine A5+/Pro-Ject DC Esprit/Phono Box Bundle
A stylish all-in-one record playing system
A stylish all-in-one record playing system
You want your turntable to sound fantastic, but all the better if it looks good, too. So we've packaged Pro-Ject's stellar Debut Carbon Esprit SB turntable (in white) with their compact Phono Box DC phono preamplifier and a pair of white Audioengine A5+ powered stereo speakers. It's a great-sounding system without a bulky amplifier, and one that makes a cool visual statement.
The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit features a one-piece carbon fiber tonearm that produces high-quality sound when you drop the needle on your favorite records.
A turntable made for serious vinyl fans
When you listen to your favorite records, you want to hear exactly what the musicians intended. The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB turntable was built to eliminate any mechanical or electronic noise that might impinge upon your ideal listening experience.
A one-piece carbon fiber tonearm reduces unwanted resonance that colors sound. The turntable's sturdy MDF chassis rests on shock-absorbing rubber feet that provide a solid, low-resonance foundation. The belt drive system and TPE (ThermoPlastic Elastomer) motor mount isolate the motor's vibration from the chassis to prevent noise from being transferred to the cartridge.
The Esprit SB also features a built-in Pro-Ject Speed Box with a top-mounted electronic switch that lets you easily change speeds from 33-1/3 to 45 rpm with the push of a button. A heavy 12" precision-machined acrylic platter lowers the turntable's noise floor for clearer, more dynamic sound.
Powerful bookshelf speakers
Some of our turntable bundles feature smaller desktop speakers, but this system really calls for the added power you get from the bookshelf-sized Audioengine A5+. This pair's silk tweeters deliver smooth, open highs, and 5" Kevlar woofers provide tight, punchy mids and bass. The left-hand speaker contains two 50-watt amplifiers that drive the speakers perfectly, so you hear all of the important sonic details etched onto your favorite platters. The solidly built MDF cabinets sport an eye-catching high-gloss white finish.
- all-in-one bundle for high-performance stereo sound from your records, computer, and portable music players
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB Turntable:
- manual belt-drive turntable with pre-mounted cartridge and built-in Speed Box electronic speed control
- precision control with top-mounted electronic switch for easy speed changes (33-1/3 or 45 rpm)
- heavy 12" acrylic platter reduces resonance and noise
- one-piece carbon fiber tonearm for superior rigidity and low resonance
- includes pre-mounted Ortofon 2M Red moving magnet cartridge
- upgraded motor suspension with TPE (ThermoPlastic Elastomer) damping for silent operation
- precision stainless-steel bearing system for smooth, quiet platter rotation
- 47" stereo RCA cable included
- technical specifications:
- speed variation: ±0.8%
- wow and flutter: ±0.10%
- signal-to-noise ratio: 68dB
- frequency range (with included cartridge): 20-22,000 Hz
- 16-3/8"W x 4-3/4"H (with dust cover down) x 13-1/8"D
- weight: 12.4 lbs.
Audioengine A5+ Powered Stereo Speakers:
- two 50-watt RMS amplifiers built into left speaker
- frequency response: 50-22,000 Hz
- each speaker features:
- 3/4" silk dome tweeter
- 5" Kevlar mid/woofer
- rear USB power output allows you to charge a connected device (does not support audio transfer)
- rear RCA stereo input
- rear stereo minijack input
- RCA stereo line output
- 7-3/16"W x 10-7/8"H x 9-3/4"D (each)
Pro-Ject Phono Box DC:
- compatible with moving magnet and moving coil phono cartridges
- external power supply for reduced noise and interference
- gold-plated input and output jacks for solid, corrosion-free connections
- small size allows placement near turntable
- 4-1/8"W x 1-1/2"H x 5-3/8"D
- warranty: 2 years (turntable and preamp), 1 year (cartridge), 3 years (speakers)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Project DC ES + A5+W
What's in the box:
- The Audioengine / Pro-Ject bundle consists of the Audioengine A5+ powered speakers (white) with the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB turntable (white) and Pro-Ject Phono Box (all individually packaged).
- The Audioengine A5+ speaker box includes:
- Powered left speaker (white)
- Passive right speaker (white)
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (with installed CR2025 battery)
- 12.5' Length of 16 gauge speaker wire
- 6.5' Stereo mini-jack cable (3.5mm mini-jack on both ends)
- 6' Stereo RCA cable
- Cloth drawstring cable bag
- 2 Cloth drawstring speaker bags
- Setup guide
- Audioengine product brochure
- The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB turntable box includes:
- Turntable (tonearm and cartridge installed)
- AC power supply (w/ attached 6.5' DC cord)
- 3 AC plug adapters (US/UK/EU)
- Acrylic platter
- Hub (installed)
- Thin drive belt
- Wide drive belt
- 47" Stereo RCA cable (w/ ground wire)
- 45 RPM adapter
- Anti-skate weight
- Counter weight
- Dust cover
- Plastic hook-tool
- Instructions For Use
- Two-Point Cartridge Alignment Protractor
- The Pro-Ject Phono Box box includes:
- Phono (MM/MC) pre-amplifier
- AC power adapter (with attached 58" DC output cord)
- North American Type A 2-prong plug adapter
- European Type C 2-pin plug adapter
- British Type G 3-pin plug adapter
More details on the Audioengine A5+/Pro-Ject DC Esprit/Phono Box Bundle
Belt-Drive Design: The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB employs a belt drive design, plus a low-noise synchronous AC motor with effective motor decoupling (utilizing TPE) for ultimate speed stability. Together, they offer a smoother rotation and improved overall sound quality. Dimensions: Width 16.375", Height 4.6875", (14.625" dust cover raised), Depth 13.125" (15.75" dust cover raised), Weight 12.4 pounds.
Built-in Speed Box: The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB features a built-in Speed Box which permits electronic speed change between 33, 45, and 78 rpm. A simple exchange of stylus to 2M78 (not included) and a drive belt turnover to larger diameter of pulley is also required for 78 rpm.
MDF Plinth: The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB features a medium density fiber (MDF) that stands on four damped cone feet. The turntable should be positioned on a low-resonance surface such as wood or multiple layer ply-board to avoid structural vibrations disturbing replay.
Acrylic Platter: The turntable comes with a heavy 12" (300mm) acrylic platter. No mat is included. Pro-Ject recommends that this turntable be used without a mat.
8.6" Carbon Tonearm: The 8.6" single-piece tube carbon fiber tonearm increases stiffness while decreasing unwanted resonances resulting in a higher fidelity presentation of your vinyl recordings. The conical-shaped carbon-fiber arm-tube avoids standing wave reflections.
MM-Cartridge: The turntable's tone-arm is fitted the 2M Red moving magnet (MM) phono cartridge by Ortofon. This cartridge is capable of exceptional tracking and recovery of the musical nuance found within the records grooves.
RCA Connections: Connection to the phono input of your amplifier can be made with connecting cables of your choice through the turntable's gold-plated stereo RCA phono jacks and grounding screw. The Pro-Ject turntable comes supplied with a 47" stereo RCA cable with ground wire.
Note: If your receiver does not have a suitable Phono MM input, you will need to connect the Pro-Ject Phono Box (included in this bundle).
Internal Wiring: The turntable's internal wiring consists of flexible high-purity copper from the head shell right through to the gold-plated phono sockets.
Dust Cover: The Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB comes supplied with a dust cover to prevent dust build-up on the turntable.
Phono (MM/MC) Preamp: The Pro-Ject Phono Box allows you to connect a turntable with either a MM (moving magnet) or MC (moving coil) cartridge to today's home receiver's and amplifier which do not offer a dedicated phono input. There is a button on the back of the unit which allows you to switch between MM or MC mode.
Metal Case: The Phono Box's metal case shields the electronics from vibration and electromagnetic interference. Dimensions: Width 4.125", Height 1.5", Depth 5.375", Weight 20.1 ounces.
Dual-Mono Circuitry: The Phono Box provides optimal channel separation through dual-mono circuitry and low-noise ICs.
RIAA Equalization: The Pro-Ject Phono Box provides amplification and RIAA equalization for both MM and MC cartridges.
RCA Connections: The Phono Box features gold-plated stereo RCA connections. A stereo RCA input connects your turntable, and a stereo RCA output connects your home receiver or amplifier. RCA cables sold separately.
Ground Terminal: The Phono Box also has a turntable ground, in case your turntable has a separate ground lead. This provides shielding to the tone-arm and the sensitive circuitry in the turntable.
Outboard Power Supply: The Pro-Ject Phono Box operates off of standard household AC current, using the supplied AC power adapter. The external power adapter is separate from the phono preamp to further improve sound quality.
- Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz, 0.6A
- Output: 15V - 500mA (18V)
Overview: Audioengine 5+ (A5+) Premium Powered Speakers deliver audiophile-quality sound from your digital audio player, computer, TV, or any other audio component for great stereo sound in any room. The A5+ offers superior stereo separation and incredible imaging from a pair of compact powered speakers. Dimensions: Width 7.1875", Height 10.875", Depth 9.75", Weight 15.4 pounds.
Two-Way Speaker System: Each of the Audioengine 5+ has two drivers; a 3/4" silk dome tweeter and a 5" Kevlar woofer. The A5+ provides a real, natural sound; very near to the originally-recorded music. The A5+ has a frequency response of 50Hz to 22,000Hz (+/-1.5dB)
- Silk Dome Tweeters: Audioengine uses audiophile-quality, ferro-fluid cooled silk dome tweeters with neodymium magnets. Silk tweeters hold up well under high power and the edge-driven design gives very smooth response.
- Kevlar Woofers: The woofers are Kevlar woven glass aramid composite with rubber surrounds. Kevlar is very strong, which means that the woofer retains its shape when being driven at high levels.
Built-in Amplifier: The A5+ is powered by a 50-watt RMS x 2ch amplifier (SNR: >94dB, THD: <0.05%), built into the left speaker. The built-in power amplifier saves space and eliminates the need to connect Audioengine 5+ to a stereo receiver or external power amp. Simply plug the left speaker into an AC outlet and connect the included speaker wire from the left to right speaker. All internal components of the A5+ are tuned together, providing a more efficient system requiring less power than passive speakers and amplifiers.
Note: With the amplifier built-in, the left speaker is heavier than the right (15.4 pounds vs. 9.6 pounds)
Toroidal Transformers: Power transformers are a large contributor to the overall audio performance, especially in the low end (bass response). Audioengine uses gapless core toroidal transformers which have a tighter radiated magnetic field, directly translating to lower noise. They are lighter than standard, lower-cost "EI" transformers and also generate less heat.
Break-in Period: The speaker will sound great out of the box and will get better over time. No need to do anything else, but listen to them. Do give them at least 30-50 hours of break-in time before doing any critical listening.
Construction: The cabinets are built using 1" MDF with internal bracing. Internal sound-damping material reduces unwanted reflections inside the cabinet. The cabinet edges are rounded to reduce high-frequency diffraction effects on the front baffles. The speakers are hand finished, then tuned and tested together to be sold in matching pairs.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: One of the reasons the Audioengine 5+ has such great bass response for a compact speaker is the design of the rear bass port on each speaker. The rear bass ports are specifically shaped and have been precisely calculated. The result is incredible low end with minimal audible air turbulence, so you can use the Audioengine 5+ speakers with or without a separate subwoofer.
No Grilles: The speaker materials and construction are robust and extremely durable, so speaker grilles aren't needed.
Controls: The Audioengine 5+ features a rotary volume knob, power switch, and includes an IR remote control.
- Volume: A front-panel rotary knob on the left speaker's front-panel controls the system's output volume.
- Power Switch: An on/off power switch is located on the rear-panel of the left speaker for the built-in amplifier.
- Remote: An IR remote control is provided for wireless operation of the A5+ powered speaker system. The remote control includes Volume up/down, Mute, and Sleep (power saving) mode functions.
Connections: Most of the A5+ system's connections are on the left speaker; the only terminals on the right speaker are the binding-post speaker level inputs for connection to the left speaker's corresponding outputs.
- Audio Inputs: The A5+ has two stereo audio inputs on the rear-panel of left speaker. The A5+ is fitted with a 3.5mm stereo minijack input and a stereo RCA input. There is no input selector switch, so both inputs are live simultaneously; if different signals are presented to both inputs, they are mixed together and both are played through the speakers.
- Binding Posts: Each speaker is equipped with a set of gold-plated 5-way binding post speaker terminals to connect the two speakers to one another.
- Variable Output: The A5+ includes a variable preamp audio output so you can connect a subwoofer, other Audioengine powered speaker, or an Audioengine wireless adapter to daisy-chaining music to other system around the house. This output is variable (adjustable) so the volume level can be controlled from the A5+ front-panel or remote control.
- USB Port: On the rear-panel of the left speaker there is a powered USB type-A output (5V/500mA). Its purpose is only to power or charge a USB bus-powered device; for example it will charge an iPod, but not control the iPod, and the audio signal is not transferred through the USB port.
Note: Because the Audioengine 5+ speaker system includes built-in power amplifiers, do not connect the speaker terminals to the speaker outputs of a separate stereo receiver or amplifier.
Optional Accessories: Audioengine offers the W3 wireless adapter that can be powered using the speaker's USB port. The W3 includes a Sender (transmitter) and Receiver; the system is designed to deliver an audio signal wirelessly between your source component and the A5+ power speaker.
Placement: For the best soundstage and imaging, the speaker should be equidistant from the side walls and and a different distance from rear walls. Both speakers should also be equidistant from your primary listening position (and at least 6' apart). Tweeters should be at approximately eye-level in your most frequent listening locations. For the best bass response, Audioengine recommend at least 6" of clearance between the rear of the speakers and the wall behind them.
High Density Foam Isolation Pad: Both speakers have a high-density foam isolation pad on the bottom for placement flexibility.
1/4"-20 Threaded Insert: Threaded 1/4-20 brass inserts are included on the bottom each speaker cabinet to provide the ability to attach the speaker to free-standing floor stands. These inserts, however, are not designed to support the full weight of the speakers and therefore should not be used with single-point wall or ceiling mounts.
Video Shielded: Both drivers (woofer and tweeter) are directly video shielded and allow you to place the speakers within a few inches of a video monitor. This shielding also offers protection for hard-drive digital music players.