About the Wharfedale Elysian 4
Luxurious speakers for audiophiles
Luxurious speakers for audiophiles
Elysian Series speakers from Wharfedale are luxurious in every way. The Elysian 4 is a gorgeous floor-stander that makes a stunning visual impression as well as delivering powerful, revealing sound. Its finely balanced drivers and accurate crossovers create a transparent, detailed and immersive soundstage. This speaker's solidly engineered cabinet comes in three beautiful finishes to complement your decor.
Wharfedale's engineers chose an advanced folded ribbon tweeter — a.k.a. Air Motion Transformer — for the Elysian line, in order to produce silky-smooth high frequencies. They explored a number of possible materials for the midrange and bass drivers, searching for an ideal match for the sensitivity and accuracy offered by the tweeter.
Innovators that they are, they settled on a proprietary woven fiberglass matrix that offers a unique combination of strength and flexibility. It allows the 6" midrange to reproduce voices and instruments with impressive detail and accuracy.
The material is also used in the speaker's dual 8-1/2" woofers, which offer the type of deep, musical bass that can really enhance your music listening experience. Bass performance is enhanced by the solidly built cabinet, which features the Slot-Loaded Profiled Port — an advanced version of Wharfedale's signature slot-loaded port.
Most speakers don't include any. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire.
Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- matched pair of floor-standing speakers
- 3-way design
- Air Motion Transformer (AMT) tweeter
- 6" coated fiberglass matrix midrange driver
- two 8-1/2" coated fiberglass matrix woofers
- frequency response: 30-22,000 Hz (±3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 15-250 watts
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- nominal impedance: 4 ohms
- bass reflex design with port on the underside of the enclosure
- two sets of binding post speaker terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- removable magnetic grille
Dimensions and warranty:
- 15-13/16"W x 46-3/4"H x 18-3/16"D (on plinth)
- weight: 109.13 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the box:
Wharfedale Elysian 4 owner's manual
- 2 Floorstanding loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- 4 Terminal-jumpers (pre-installed)
- 8 Spike feet
- User Manual
Wharfedale Elysian 4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Wharfedale Elysian 4
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||3.5|
|Midrange Size (inches)||6|
|Woofer Size (inches)||8.5|
|Woofer Composition||Coated Fiberglass|
|Woofer Surround||Foamed Rubber|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||30-22k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
Wharfedale Elysian Series: The Elysian is a new flagship, luxury audio loudspeaker series from Wharfedale that offers excellence in design, materials aesthetic, and performance. A thorough and no compromise approach has lead the Wharfedale engineers to create this luxury audio series of loudspeakers that incorporates cutting edge design and class-leading technology for the delivery of audiophile-grade musical reproduction. From the genuine Piano-Lacquer finished cabinet, created with details of true craftsmanship, through to the AMT (Air Motion Transformer) high frequency transducers, European manufactured bass drivers and expert crossover design, Elysian represents a new level of Wharfedale's signature audio sound.
3-Way Driver Design: The Wharfedale Elysian 4 floorstanding loudspeaker employs a 3-way driver design with finely balanced driver selection, expertly designed crossover network, and finely-tuned ported cabinet. The Elysian 4 houses a 3.5" AMT (Air Motion Transformer), one 6" coated fiberglass midrange driver, and two 8.5" coated fiberglass cone bass woofers for full-range sound that is natural, transparent, and realistic.
AMT (Air Motion Transformer): The AMT (Air Motion Transformer) is a radically different way of moving air. A large, pleated, lightweight diaphragm is driven across its surface by rows of strategically placed metallic strips immersed in a strong magnetic field. Under the influence of the musical drive the pleats in the diaphragm contract and expand, squeezing the air between them to form the desired waveform. Not only is this an efficient way of moving air but it is also very accurate as the diaphragm is under close control of the motor system at all times. In addition the AMT is a velocity, rather than pressure, transducer, capable of producing extremely fast transients and dynamics. The result is a wide bandwidth device that achieves low distortion naturally and delivers wonderful musical detail.
Fiber Cone Midrange & Bass Drivers: Determined to match the sensitivity and accuracy of the AMT, Wharfedale settled on a unique woven glass fiber matrix for the cone material of the midrange and bass drivers, which gives a wonderful combination of low mass and strength, and then gave this a coating of high plasticity to control its acoustic behavior. With such a low mass only a low-damping, foamed rubber-like material would match for the surround, again coated for durability. A central phase plug is specially shaped to linearize the output across a wide bandwidth, even well off-axis, enhancing a natural response to the music which can be heard anywhere you wish to sit. You'll hear vocal and instruments that sound natural and real.
Expertly Designed Advanced Crossover: Combining the outputs of the drivers is an advanced computer modeled crossover that has been developed over hundreds of hours of listening tests, fine tuned to make sure that the blend between the drive units is seamless. Of particular note is the phase consistency across the drive unit output, allowing a wide range of seating position and encouraging the power response to be highly linear throughout your listening room. Wharfedale has only used the highest grade, acoustically transparent components throughout the crossover construction, ensuring that you hear all the musical detail. You’ll hear the full body of instruments without straining to enjoy the complete dynamics of your music. Whether you are listening to solo piano, a full orchestra, a jazz trio or multi-instrument rock performance, Elysian is more than capable of bringing the thrill and excitement of the performance into your home.
SLPP (Slot Loaded Profiled Port): Elysian utilizes Wharfedale's most advance version of of their slot port technology, SLPP (Slot Loaded Profiled Port). The lowest frequency energy from the bass woofers are vented to a slot at the base of the speaker, specially profiled to equalize the high internal pressure to the low pressure in the room. Overall system sensitivity is high at 89dB (2.83V @1m) allowing your amplifier to reveal the full dynamic range of the music fed to it without any strain or limitation. In combination the bass woofers and SLPP bass reflex system provide the massive foundation on which the rest of the musical performance sits, letting you feel as well as hear the full impact of low frequency information.
Dual Binding Posts: The Elysia 2 floorstanding loudspeaker has two sets of binding posts connected by jumper-straps. The binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade connectors, & banana plugs (single only). Using these dual binding posts, you can bi-amp or bi-wire the speakers. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Mounting & Placement Options:
- If you are sitting within 6.5' of a pair of Elysian Series speakers, the distance between the speakers should be the same as between you and the speakers . Otherwise sit the speakers between 4.9 to 6.5' apart; clear of rear walls and room corners.
- If the loudspeakers are placed too close to the walls the bass will increase but may be boomy and indistinct. If the loudspeakers are placed further away from the walls, the inward angle ("toe-in") may be increased by up to 30%. As personal taste and room acoustics play a large role, experiment with different configurations and play a wide range of music before finalizing the position of the speakers.
- The optimum listening position is in an area between the speakers broadly known as the "sweet spot" . The more extreme the angle of toe-in the narrower the sweet spot. Wharfedale loudspeakers are designed to cover a wide sonic perspective so there should be no need for extreme settings. A mild angle inwards will cover a wide range of seating positions.
- The grilles are provided to protect the loudspeaker drive units from accidental damage. For critical listening, please remove the grilles.
Note: The spike feet will scratch floors. Be careful positioning the speaker on hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl flooring. No rubber feet or pads are included to protect floors.
1 question already asked