About the Sony HT-A9/SA-SW3 Home Theater Bundle
Fill your room with high-quality sound
The HT-A9 calibrates the sound for your room, delivering an immersive experience no matter the space.
Fill your room with high-quality sound
Sony's unique HT-A9 offers an easy way to get exciting surround sound with enveloping overhead effects. This powered, multi-speaker sound system offers support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for an expansive, cinematic soundstage. It's bundled here with a matching Sony powered subwoofer, so it comes with everything you need for excellent home theater sound.
Each of the system's four speakers has a front-firing woofer, soft dome tweeter, and up-firing driver for overhead effects. They work together with Sony's 360 Spatial Sound Mapping, simulating up to 12 "phantom speakers" to make you feel like the sound is coming from every direction. Track the squealing wheels of a car as it zips from one end of the room to the other or feel the whoop-whoop of a helicopter as it hovers above.
Pumped up bass
The included SA-SW3 sub has a 6" woofer powered by a built-in 200-watt amplifier. The woofer's design maximizes the magnetic force driving the voice coil for deeper, more powerful bass. This subwoofer gives you that extra "oomph" you need to really feel your favorite movies and video games.
Easy, flexible setup
Getting started is easy. Hook the control box up to your TV with the included HDMI cable. The speakers connect to the box wirelessly, so you won't need to worry about running speaker wire across your floor. And the system's sound mapping technology adjusts for both the shape of your room and the configuration of your speakers. This gives you the freedom to place them almost anywhere with access to AC power. The sub is compact and wireless, too, which makes finding a good spot simple as pie.
Built to play nice with BRAVIA TVs
The HT-A9 was made to pair up well with Sony BRAVIA TVs for easy control of the sound system's settings and volume with the TV's remote. Some BRAVIA TVs can even operate as the center channel in your sound system. so dialogue comes right from the screen. Just connect the "S-center out" on the HT-A9's control box to the "S-center speaker in" on your compatible TV using the stereo mini cable included in the box.
Streaming music options aplenty
The HT-A9 comes with several built-in options for playing your music and other content wirelessly. There's Bluetooth built in for mobile devices, plus Wi-Fi streaming for playing files on your home network. Apple AirPlay 2 makes it super-easy to play music and more from iOS® devices. Android™ fan? No problem. This system also streams content through Chromecast built-in, via a wide range of compatible apps.
You can even control the HT-A9 and make song selections using a Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa voice controller (sold separately).
Connect with HDMI
The control box's HDMI 2.1 connection allows 8K video passthrough or 4K at a super-sharp 120Hz refresh rate. The system's video passthrough also supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) formats like Dolby Vision, so you'll be able to maintain a high-contrast Ultra HD picture from your Blu-ray player or video game console through to your TV. With eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel), you can also receive uncompressed audio signals — including Dolby Atmos — from an eARC-equipped TV.
If you have digital audio files stashed on your phone, you can play them on the HT-A9, and even upscale them with DSEE Extreme™ (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine). This lets you enjoy better sound with compressed formats like MP3.
- wireless home theater surround sound system and powered subwoofer
- 360 Spatial Sound Mapping calibrates the sound to match your room and speaker configuration for an expansive, immersive soundstage
- built-in Dolby® decoding, including Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Atmos
- supports DTS Digital Surround, DTS Master Audio, and DTS:X
- 360 Reality Audio delivers an immersive music listening experience with compatible music streaming services
- works with 360 Reality Audio tracks on Deezer, TIDAL, and more (subscription may be required)
HT-A9 speaker system:
- four speakers connect wirelessly with a control box that plugs into your TV via HDMI
- each speaker has an up-firing driver, soft dome tweeter, and woofer
- control box and speakers must be connected to AC power
- X-Balanced rectangular design helps the speakers deliver punchier bass and better clarity
- press the Immersive AE button on your remote to add overhead effects and increased immersion to conventional surround soundtracks and stereo audio
- integration with Sony BRAVIA TVs automatically adds your sound system's settings to the TV's Quick Settings menu
- Acoustic Center Sync lets the system and a compatible Sony BRAVIA TV work together to reproduce dialogue and other center channel sounds
- requires an additional stereo mini connection (cable included)
- plays high-res audio files
- DSEE Extreme™ uses artificial intelligence to upscale compressed digital files in real time
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 5-15/16"W x 2-1/16"H x 7-1/2"D (control box); 6-5/16"W x 12-3/8"H x 5-13/16"D (speakers)
- weight: 1.6 lbs. (control box); 6 lbs. (each speaker)
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- built-in Spotify® Connect for music streaming
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you easily stream from iOS® devices
- Chromecast built-in lets you stream from the cloud with compatible mobile apps
- control the system with your voice using a Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa device (sold separately)
- user interface displays on your compatible TV screen to make adjusting your sound easy
- 200-watt built-in amplifier with Sigma Magnetic Circuit for powerful bass
- 6" woofer with front-firing ported (bass reflex) enclosure
- Separated Notch Edge technology mitigate stress on the sub's diaphragm for clear sound
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 7-15/16"W x 15-1/16"H x 16-13/16"D
- weight: 19.9 lbs.
Connections and general info:
- 1 HDMI 2.1 input, 1 output (cable included)
- input is HDCP 2.3 compatible for connecting to copy-protected 4K video sources
- supports enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)
- 8K and 4K/120Hz video passthrough with support for Dolby Vision
- Ethernet port for a stable, secure wired connection
- includes remote control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the box:
Sony HT-A9/SA-SW3 Home Theater Bundle owner's manual
- Sony HT-A9:
- Wireless hub
- 4 Wireless powered speakers
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cor)
- Four 5' AC power cords
- Remote control (RMT-AH508U)
- 58" HDMI cable
- 6.5' Stereo minijack cable
- Operating Instructions
- Startup Guide
- Product Registration
- Warranty Information
- Troubleshooting Note
- Sony SA-SW3:
- Wireless powered sub
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty Information
- Product Registration
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Sony HT-A9/SA-SW3 Home Theater Bundle
Features & specs
|Type of Front Speakers||Separate Speakers|
|Includes Center Speaker||No|
|Includes Rear Speakers||Yes|
|Includes Powered Subwoofer||Yes|
|System Frequency Response||28-20k|
|Front Speakers||126 watts built in|
|Rear Speakers||126 watts built in|
|Front Speaker Tweeter||0.75" Textile Dome|
|Front Speaker Midrange||N/A|
|Front Speaker Woofer||2.875"x3.25" X-Balance Cone|
|Center Speaker Tweeter||N/A|
|Center Speaker Midrange||N/A|
|Center Speaker Woofer||N/A|
|Sound Bar Tweeter||N/A|
|Sound Bar Midrange||N/A|
|Sound Bar Woofer||N/A|
|Rear Speaker Tweeter||0.75" Textile Dome|
|Rear Speaker Midrange||1.8125"x2.25" X-Balanced Up-Firing Driver|
|Rear Speaker Woofer||2.875"x3.25" X-Balance Cone|
|Subwoofer Driver||6.375" Polypropylene Cone|
|Subwoofer Passive Radiator||N/A|
|Dimensions & Weight|
|Front Speaker Size (inches)||6-5/16W x 12-3/8H x 5-13/16D|
|Front Speaker Weight||6 lbs.|
|Center Speaker Size (inches)||N/A|
|Center Speaker Weight||N/A|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||N/A|
|Sound Bar Weight||N/A|
|Rear Speaker Size (inches)||6-5/16W x 12-3/8H x 5-13/16D|
|Rear Speaker Weight||6 lbs.|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||7-15/16W x 15-1/16H x 16-13/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||19.9 lbs.|
|Surround Formats -Self-powered Systems-|
|Audio Enhancements -Self-powered Systems-|
|Virtual Surround||360 Spatial Sound Mapping|
|Audio Streaming -Self-powered Systems-|
|Online Music Sources||via Chromecast|
|Apple AirPlay||AirPlay 2|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Wi-Fi Networking -Self-powered Systems-|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11ac|
|Bands||2.4, 5 GHz|
|HDMI Connections -Self-powered Systems-|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||up to 4K|
|Optical Digital Inputs||None|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||Yes|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Voice Control||Alexa & Google Assistant optional|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Network & Multiroom Audio
Control & Convenience Features
4.1.4Ch Wireless Speaker System: Immerse yourself in a multi-dimensional audio experience with Sony's HT-A9 wireless home theater speaker system, featuring a unique 360 Spatial Sound Mapping technology. The Sony HT-A9 system consists of four wireless powered speakers, a wireless powered subwoofer, and a wireless hub that create a 4.1.4ch home theater system with a total system power of 704 watts. The two front speakers act as stereo left & right channels, as well as the center channel and left & right overhead channels. The two rear speakers act as left & right surround channels, as well as left & right overhead channels. The included wireless powered subwoofer acts as the system's LFE (low frequency effect) channel. All four powered speakers and subwoofer wirelessly connect to the control hub, allowing you to place them anywhere in the room (up to 30').
- 360 Spatial Sound Mapping: Sony's revolutionary 360 Spatial Sound Mapping technology creates up to twelve phantom speakers from just four actual speakers This unique 360 Spatial Sound Mapping technology calibrates sound to your room for an environment that seems to expand beyond the walls. Surrounded on all sides by multiple phantom speakers within an optimized soundfield, you'll hear every surround and overhead effect with incredible intensity.
- Soundfield Optimization: Sound Field Optimization allows you to have the speakers at different heights and distances and will measure the position of each speaker to create the best sound for your room. Each speaker features built-in microphones that intelligently measures the position of the speakers, vertically and horizontally, to optimize the sound to your room. Sound Field Optimization can also be applied to Sony's optional wireless powered sub (sold separately). You can also choose to manually adjust speaker distance and channel level.
Wireless Hub: The wireless hub connects to your TV via HDMI and wirelessly transmitts multichannel audio (including Dolby Atmos & DTS:X) to the system's four wireless powered speakers and subwoofer. The wireless hub features a HDMI 2.1 eARC output to connect to your TV and one HDMI 2.1 input to connect another AV source device (such as your Blu-ray player, cable/satellite receiver, or game console). The wireless hub connects automatically to all four wireless powered speakers automatically when they are turned on.
4 Wireless Speakers: The wireless powered speakers are designed with leading-edge technologies to deliver the supreme sound quality and wide directivity required for Sony's 360 Spatial Sound Mapping. Each speaker features a front-firing 0.75" soft-dome tweeter and a 2.875" x 3.25" wide directivity X-Balanced woofer, plus a 1.8125" x 2.25" upfiring X-Balanced driver that are all powered by a S-Master HX digital amplifier rated at 126 watts. The upfiring drivers in the front and rear speaker reflect sound off the ceiling for an immersive 4.0.4ch atmospheric overhead sound experience.
- X-Balanced Drivers: The unique rectangular shape of the X-Balanced woofers & drivers maximizes the diaphragm area for richer bass. It also reduces driver excursion while maintaining sound pressure, resulting in less distortion and greater vocal clarity.
- S-Master HX Digital Amplifier: Each wireless powered speaker employs a S-Master HX Digital amplifier. Using a simplified, full digital signal path, the S-Master HX digital amplifier reproduces digital audio signals without the multiple analog stages required by conventional amplifiers. The result is not just more power, but significantly less distortion caused by heat build-up.
Wireless Powered Sub: The Sony SA-SW3 wireless powered sub houses a front-firing 6.375" woofer in a bass reflex enclosure with front-firing port for deep and detailed bass. The front-firing 6.375" subwoofer is powered by a built-in Sony designed S-Master digital amplifier rated at 200 watts (RMS) for dynamic, distortion-free bass. The S-Master Digital Amplifier is highly efficient, runs cools, and delivers clear bass with less distortion. The 6.375" woofer utilizes unique and proprietary Sony technologies to deliver powerful, distortion-free bass.
- S (Sigma) Magnetic Circuit: Sony's proprietary technology, the S (Sigma) Magnetic Circuit enables deep, powerful bass by maximizing the magnetic force that drives the voice coil. By contrast, conventionally shaped circuits let much of this magnetic force leak away.
- Separated Notch Edge: Another Sony proprietary technology, Separated Notch Edge improves vertical amplitude symmetry, an essential for clear sound quality. It achieves this using concentric cuts on the edge of the rubber surround, which help to control the stress inside and outside the edge of the diaphragm.
Immersive Audio Enhancement (AE): The Sony HT-A9 supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X movie & music soundtracks. It can also upconvert non Dolby Atmos and DTS:X content to 3D (three-dimensional) surround sound. Sony's clever Audio Enhancement (AE) algorithm adds overhead sound to conventional surround soundtracks and even stereo audio, converting everything you listen to into an immersive 360 Spacial Sound experience.
- Dolby Atmos: With Dolby Atmos sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. Rather than being constrained to channels, sounds exist as individual entities that are precisely placed and moved in three-dimensional space. A new sensation of height immerses you in the action, creating a full audio atmosphere and realistically depicting objects moving overhead. Dolby Atmos renders everything from dialogue to quiet scenes to whirlwind action with astonishing clarity, richness, detail, and depth. It all comes together in sound that excites your senses and inspires your emotions to deliver the full impact of entertainment.
- DTS:X: DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space.
Note: The Sony HT-A9 also supports Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-ES, and DTS.
Sound Modes: The Sony HT-A9 offers a variety of Sound modes for enhanced movie and music enjoyment. Choose between Auto, Standard, Cinema, or Music.
- Auto: The appropriate Sound mode is automatically selected from Standard, Cinema, or Music.
- Standard: The Standard mode delivers 2ch stereo playback for your TV shows.
- Cinema: The Cinema mode lets you feel and hear the action all around you as sound travels behind you and draws you into the movie experience.
- Music: The Music mode lets you hear all the vividness and richness of your favorite music in fine detail.
eARC (Enhanced Audio Retain Channel): Along with standard ARC (Audio Return Channel), the Sony HT-A9's HDMI output supports eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel). ARC and eARC allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the speaker system through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- eARC will support uncompressed audio formats like Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD), DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, DTS HD Master Audio, and 2/5.1/7.1ch PCM.
- ARC is limited to Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital Plus), Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS ES, and 2/5.1/7.1ch PCM.
- Your TV will also need to support eARC or ARC for this feature to work. Some newer TVs will support eARC, but most TVs only support ARC.
- The ARC-enabled HDMI input on some TVs will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable box, or Gaming console to the speaker system directly; and then connect the system's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
- The Sony HT-A9 does not feature an analog audio input or optical digital audio input.
Bravia Acoustic Center Sync: When the HT-A9 is connected to a 2021-up Sony Bravia XR TV with Acoustic Center Sync using the S-Center Out and supplied stereo minijack cable, the TV becomes the center speaker and part of the 360 Spatial Sound Mapping setup in your home theater system. Bravia Acoustic Center Sync enables the audio to precisely match what's on the screen for a truly immersive experience. With Acoustic Center Sync, you'll hear dialog from exactly where the character is standing in the scene. By precisely aligning the action and sound, your entertainment experience becomes much more immersive.
Note: BRAVIA Acoustic Center Sync mode currently works with the following Sony Bravia XR TV models - Z9J, A90J, A80J, and X95J series.
Voice & Night Modes: The HT-A9 incorporates two Sound Effect modes - Voice & Night. With Voice mode, you'll be sure to hear every whisper and character nuance of the dialog compared to other sounds in the scene for a dynamic experience. Using Night mode, you can enjoy sound effects and hear the dialog clearly even at a low volume levels.
DSEE Extreme (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine): Using Edge-AI (Artificial Intelligence), DSEE Extreme (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) upscales compressed digital music files in real time. Dynamically recognizing instrumentation, musical genres, and individual elements of each song, such as vocals or interludes, DSEE Extremerestores the high-range sound lost in compression for a richer, more complete listening experience.
HDMI 2.1: The Sony HT-A9 is equipped with one HDMI input and one HDMI eARC output to connect your TV, Blu-ray player, cable/satellite receiver, and/or game console. The HDMI input and output support the latest HDMI 2.1 specifications - including 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz pass-through, HDCP 2.2, 4:4:4 color sub sampling, BT.2020 wide color space, & HDR (high dynamic range) video.
- 8K/60Hz & 4K/120Hz Pass-Through: The HT-A9 supports up to 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz UHD video pass-through. It will also pass 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video signals (480i video signal are not supported).
- HDCP 2.3: HDCP 2.3 is supported by the speaker system's HDMI input and output. HDCP 2.3 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Sub sampling: The system's HDMI jacks support RGB, Cyber 4:4:4 color sub sampling for more vibrant and lifelike images, as well as Cyber 4:2:2 and Cyber 4:2:0 color sub sampling. With 4:4:4, luminance (brightness) and Chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 48Gbps HDMI cable for the 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the speaker system and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma): HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SIR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SIR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses not metadata, Dolby Vision adjusts brightness, color, and contrast automatically for each scene. Dynamic metadata carries information that maps every image to your TV's display capabilities, so you see more of what the content creator intended.
Gaming Features (Future Firmware Update): Enjoy immersive gaming experience with optimized picture settings by Auto HDR Tone Mapping and Auto Genre Picture Mode when connecting a 2021-up Sony Bravia XR TV and PlayStaion 5. The future firmware update is not scheduled until Spring of 2022.
AV Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large TV or a projection screen. When activated, the delay can be adjusted from 0-300ms (in 25 ms increments).
3D-Ready: The HT-A9 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games and other 3D content through its HDMI connection (720p/1080i/1080p only). 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be required.
Standby Pass-Through: You can conveniently access the HT-A9's HDMI inputs and HDMI output through your TV without having to power on the system.
Network & Multiroom Audio
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony HT-A9 features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ-45) port and built-in 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11ac)that allows you to connect the system to your home network via a hardwired or wireless connection. By connecting the speaker system to your home network, you can access Chromecast built-in apps, AirPlay 2, and Spotify Connect; as well voice control using a Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa device (sold separately). The Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) or the Sony Music Center App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) can be used for WiFi network setup. The following system environment is required to use the network function of this system.
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required in order to listen to select online music services and to use the software update function of the speaker system.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network. 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac; 2.4/5GHz compatible wireless router for WiFi connection.
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for hardwired connection.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the Sony speaker system and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the speaker. You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Sony speaker system.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly see, select, and stream audio to the Sony HT-A9 speaker within the Spotify app (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Works With Amazon Alexa: With the Sony Music Center App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) and Alexa App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 6.0+), you can link the HT-A9 speaker with an Amazon Alexa enabled device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) for access to select online music apps that support Alexa voice control. Compatible music apps include Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, and more. By simply talking to an Alexa enabled device (sold separately), you can stream these music apps to the Sony HT-A9 speaker system.
Chromecast Built-in: Chromecast Built-in lets you cast many of your favorite music apps from your compatible Android or Apple iOS device to the Sony HT-A9. You'll be able to cast many of your favorite internet radio stations, online music services, and podcast to the Sony speaker system. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the HT-A9. While you are casting, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing through the Sony speaker system. Use the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) to setup Chromecast built-in on your mobile device and the Sony active speaker system.
- Music & Radio: Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. Play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, Google Play, iHeart Radio, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply) - click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps. You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 6.0+) device to the Sony HT-A9. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers throughout your home to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same or different Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or with your voice using a Google Assistant enabled device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase a Google Assistant enabled device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The Sony speaker and your Google Assistant device must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
DLNA Certified: The Sony HTA-7000 is DLNA certified. By connecting the speaker to your home network, you can listen to a variety of music files (including Hi Res) stored on your Windows PC (w/ Windows Media Player 11 or 12) or a DLNA (ver.1.5) compatible media server. The system can recognize up to 999 folders and 999 files.
- High Resolution Formats: FLAC (44.1-192kHz 16/24-bit), AIFF (32-192kHz; 16/24-bit), & DSD (2.8MHz)
- Uncompressed Formats: WAV (8-48kHz; 16/24-bit) & ALAC (32-96kHz; 16/24-bit)
- Compressed Formats: MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps) & AAC (48-320kbps)
360 Reality Audio: Immerse yourself in sound all around you with 360 Reality Audio; as real as if you are there at a live concert or with the artist recording in a studio - music has never been so immersive and so real. Because 360 Reality Audio tracks incorporate three-dimensional sound location data, they're able to deliver the ultimate in ambient room-filling sound. You'll need to subscribe to a 360 Reality Audio music streaming service (including Amazon Music, Tidal, Deezer, or Nugs.Net) to enjoy this new music experience. You'll also need to download the Sony Music Center app onto your Apple iOS or Android device, as well as connect your compatible mobile device and the Sony HT-A9 speaker to the same WiFi network.
Bluetooth 5.0: The Sony HT-A9 speaker system features built-in Bluetooth 5.0 for wireless audio streaming and control. The system can act as a Bluetooth Receiver in order to wirelessly stream music from an audio device, or a Bluetooth Transmitter in order to wirelessly stream music to a set of Bluetooth-enabled headphones (sold separately). The HT-A9 speaker system has an expanded Bluetooth wireless range of 98'.
- LDAC Codec Support: In addition to support for Bluetooth standard SBC codec and Apple's AAC codec, the system also supports Sony's newest LDAC codec. LDAC is a new audio technology from Sony that allows you to enjoy high quality wireless audio via Bluetooth. With 3x the data transmitted (compared to regular Bluetooth), LDAC provides an enhanced wireless listening experience for all your music. LDAC is supported in Bluetooth Receiver & Transmitter mode. Both the source and playback device must support LDAC.
- SSP (Secure Simple Pairing): The HT-A9 pairs wirelessly and effortlessly with multiple Bluetooth-enabled devices and headphones (up to 9). However, only one device or headphone can be used for playback at a time. Once paired, the speaker system will automatically re-connect to your source device or headphone when within range.
Bluetooth Receiver Mode: In Receiver Mode, the Sony HT-A9 offers support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and wireless TV connectivity.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: You can wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer) to the Sony speaker system. You'll continue to control your wirelessly streamed audio and view song/artist/album information from your Bluetooth source device.
- Wireless TV Connectivity: You can even setup your Bluetooth-enabled TV to stream its audio wirelessly to the speaker system. Audio streamed from a Bluetooth-enabled TV will be limited to 2ch PCM without support for Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Atmos or DTS:X. During a wireless Bluetooth connection, you can use the TV's remote or the speaker's remote to raise and lower the volume.
Bluetooth Transmitter Mode: In Transmitter mode, you can enjoy listening to audio from the speaker system's HDMIconnected sources; as well as AirPlay 2, DLNA, and Spotify Connect through a set of Bluetooth headphones (sold separately). The speaker system is muted when transmitting audio wirelessly over Bluetooth to a set of headphones. Volume is controlled by both the speaker and your Bluetooth headphones.
- You cannot use the Bluetooth Receiver Mode and Transmitter Mode at the same time. Meaning, you cannot transmit a Bluetooth source from the Sony HT-A9 out to a set of Bluetooth headphones.
- When using Chromecast built-in, a set of headphones cannot be connect to the speaker system via Bluetooth.
Control & Convenience Features
Front-Panel Display & On Screen Menu: The wirless hub's front-panel display will indicate source selection, volume level, and menu settings. The front-panel display does not support song/artist/album information. You can set the front-panel display's dimmer to Bright, Dark, or Off. The wireless hub also provides an on-screen display through its HDMI output for setup, operation, and song/artist info with album art. In addition, the wireless hub's settings automatically appear on a 2021-up Bravia XR TV's Quick Settings menu for easy control of sound modes, soundfield and volume. This feature currently works with the following Sony Bravia XR TV models - Z9J, A90J, A80J , X95J, X90J, X85J, and X80J series.
Sony Music Center App: The Sony Music Center App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) gives you wireless control of the Sony HT-A9 speaker system from your compatible smartphone or tablet device.. The Sony Music Center app supports Power on/off functions, Volume up/down control, Source selection, and a variety of audio settings (including 360 Reality Audio, Immersive Audio Enhancement, and Sound Modes).
Voice Control: The Sony HT-A9 offers support for voice control using a Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa enabled device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). With the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) and Chromecast built-in, you can use a Google Assistant enabled device to control music playback with only your voice. With the Sony Music Center App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+), you can link an Amazon Alexa device to control music apps and group other Amazon Alexa devices.
Note: Voice command operations are not available solely on the speaker system. By using a Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa enable device (sold separately), you can use voice commands to control music playback.
IR Remote: The Sony HT-A9 comes supplied with a full-function IR remote control for wireless operation of the multichannel speaker system.
HDMI Control: HDMI Control allows you to easily manage and operate an HDMI Control compatible television and other audio/video components with a single remote, when all components are connected via HDMI. By connecting HDMI-CEC components operation is simplified in the following ways -
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a Blu-ray Disc Player, the speaker system and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speaker system.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the speaker system and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
Mounting & Placement Options: The 4 wireless powered speakers can be positioned on a shelf or other flat table top surface. They can also be mounted on a speaker stand (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). In addition, a keyhole slot on the back of each speaker allows you to wall-mount the speakers (mounting screws not included). There is also a M5 threaded insert which allows you wall-mount the speaker with an articulating bracket (sold separatley - see Accessories Tab). The wireless powered sub should be postioned to the left or right of the front speakers of the HT-A9 system, along the same wall. Corner placement will provide the greatest bass output, but can also "muddy" the sound or make the subwoofer sound to "boomy. The wireless hub can be placed on a shelf or other flat tabletop surface next to your TV (the hub cannot be wall-mounted).
- The two front speakers should be positioned to the left and right of your TV. The front speakers can be positioned at, above, or below ear level when seated.
- The two rear speaker should be positioned behind or to the side of your main listening position. The rear speakers can be positioned at, above, or below ear level when seated.
- Make sure to not block or obstruct the up-firing drivers of the speakers, because they need the ability to bounce sound off the ceiling to create overhead effects
Note: Each speaker is labeled on the bottom for its appropriate location - FL (Front Left), FR (Frong Right), RL (Rear Left), or RR (Rear Right).
Power Requirements: The wireless hub, 4 wireless satellite speakers, and wireless sub will each need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The wireless hub comes with an external AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord), while each speaker includes a detachable 5' AC power cord. The wireless powered subwoofer comes with a detachable 6.5' AC power cord. The speaker system enters standby mode automatically when no controls are activated and no input signal is received for 20 minutes.