About the Bowers & Wilkins ISW3 and SA250 Mk2 Bass Package
Bass that's heard, but not seen
Bass that's heard, but not seen
There's something to be said for simplicity when it comes to high-end audio. If you prefer your listening room's décor on the leaner side, consider installing the Bowers & Wilkins ISW3. This passive subwoofer offers high-quality bass from behind your wall or ceiling — all you'll see in your room is an unassuming air vent.
The ISW3 passive subwoofer offers both in-wall and in-ceiling installation options.
Twin built-in woofers offer tight, responsive bass
The old adage of "two is better than one" can be applied to subwoofers. I personally prefer the performance of two smaller drivers that combine to move more air than a single larger woofer on its own. The resulting bass is tight and responsive — terrific for music and movies alike.
The ISW3 employs two 6-1/2" hybrid paper/aramid fiber cones to deliver punchy, accurate bass. It's an excellent choice for your in-wall home theater or stereo music system in a small- to medium-sized room.
Ideal for new construction or renovations
The ISW3's in-wall enclosure is designed to install between two 16" on-center studs or joists before your wall or ceiling goes up. Its paintable louver grille is all you'll see in your room once the installation is complete.
Matching amplification included
This sub gets its power from the bundled Bowers & Wilkins SA250 Mk2 — an external, rack-mountable amplifier designed specifically for the company's in-wall subs. The amp connects to your home theater receiver or preamp/processor via a subwoofer cable, and to the ISW3 subwoofer via in-wall speaker wire.
A rich history of audio excellence
Founded in England in the 1960s, Bowers & Wilkins is known worldwide for their innovative hi-fi speaker designs and their premium headphones. Crutchfield is proud to offer a diverse selection of products from this legendary audio brand.
- in-wall subwoofer with matching external amplifier
- ideal for a discreet home theater or stereo music system
ISW3 passive subwoofer:
- can be installed in the wall or in the ceiling
- installs between two 16" on-center wall studs or ceiling joists
- dual 6-1/2" hybrid paper/aramid fiber woofers
- frequency response: 27-120 Hz (±3 dB)
- impedance: 8 ohms
- non-resonant, bass-reflex enclosure with front-firing port
- includes paintable grille to match your décor
- includes mounting bracket and hardware
- overall dimensions: 12-15/16"W x 18-1/2"H x 9-3/8"D
- weight: 27.6 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
SA250 Mk2 mono subwoofer amplifier:
- 250-watt Class D amplifier
- rack-mountable with included hardware
- front-panel volume, phase, crossover, bass extension, and EQ controls
- balanced XLR input and output
- unbalanced stereo line-level RCA inputs and outputs
- binding post speaker outputs
- signal-sensing auto on/off mode
- 3.5mm 12-volt trigger inputs for power-on and movie/music mode
- 16-15/16"W x 3-15/16"H x 12-3/4"D (rack spaces: 2U)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the box:
- This B&W Bass Package contains 2 individually boxed items:
- ISW-3 In-Wall Subwoofer:
- In-wall/In-ceiling passive subwoofer
- Louvre fascia
- Cowl extension
- Support bar
- 4 Angle support brackets
- Eight #8x12mm screws
- Two M3x35mm screws
- Three #4x10mm screws
- Ten #6x25mm screws
- 2 Gasket strips
- Cutout template
- Custom Installation booklet
- SA250 Mk2 Amplifier:
- Custom install subwoofer amplifier
- 59" AC power cord
- 3-Piece Neutrik Speakon plug
- 2 Rack-mount brackets
- 2 Handles
- 4 Long screws
- 6 Short screws
- 10 Flat washers
- 10 Lock washers
- 4 Rubber hole plugs Custom Installation booklet
- Safety and Warranty Instructions
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Bowers & Wilkins ISW3 and SA250 Mk2 Bass Package
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Pair|
|Woofer Composition||Paper/Aramid fiber|
|Connector Type||XLR, RCA, Post|
|Power Range (Watts)||---|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Overview: The Bowers&Wilkins Bass Package features a B&W ISW-3 in-wall subwoofer and matching SA250 Mk2 power amplifier.
Custom Install Passive Subwoofer: The Bowers & Wilkins ISW-3 is an incredibly versatile and compact passive subwoofer, capable of providing high-quality bass output in spaces that may have not been possible before. It can be placed in a variety of locations without causing vibrations. The ISW-3 houses two 6.5" paper/aramid fiber cone woofers with rubber surrounds and is designed specifically to be powered by the included B&W SA250 250W Class D amplifier.
Installation Options: The Bowers & Wilkins ISW-3 passive subwoofer offers four possible installation applications - In-Ceiling, In-Wall, Under-The-Floor, or Kitchen-Cabinet. Four angled "L"-brackets will secure the passive subwoofer enclosure in place.
- In-Ceiling: The passive subwoofer will fit between joists with standard 16" or greater spacing, such that the visible louvre straddles the gap between them. A clearance of 10" or greater behind the underside face of the joists is required.
- In-Wall: The passive subwoofer is too deep to fit into a standard nominal 4" thick wall, but may be fitted into custom furniture or closet that accommodates its depth and that has studs with standard 16" or greater spacing. In most situations, the visible louvre will be required to be low on the wall, just above the skirting board. In that case, the cabinet will be oriented with the cowl at the bottom.
- Under-The-Floor: The speaker will fit between joists with standard 16" or greater spacing, such that the visible louvre straddles the gap between them. A clearance of 10" or greater behind the top of the joists is required. This subwoofer is not recommended if the floor is to be covered by a thick carpet. Very short pile carpet, such as carpet tiles, may be accommodated with care.
- Kitchen-Unit: The subwoofer will rest on the bottom shelf of the kitchen cabinet and vent through the toe-kick panel below the door.
Note: See the "Custom Installation" booklet for further installation instructions and details.
Gold-Plated Spring-Post Terminals: The B&W ISW-3 passive subwoofer is outfitted with gold-plated, spring-post terminals that will accommodate bare speaker wire (up to 12AWG), pin connectors, and banana plugs (single only). The gold-plated terminals provide excellent audio signal transfer and resists corrosion.
Custom Install Subwoofer Amplifier: The Bowers & Wilkins SA250 Mk2 is designed to power and apply the correct equalization to the ISW3 custom install subwoofer. There is a switch on the rear-panel to indicate the connection of either the ISW-3 or an optional ISW-4 custom install subwoofer (sold separately). The SA250 Mk2 amplifier is not suitable for driving any other subwoofers or loudspeakers,
250W Class D Amplifier: The B&W SA250 Mk2 employs a 250W Class D amplifier that stays cool even when listening to demanding movie and music soundtracks at high volume levels. The SA250 Mk2 can drive one or two identical subwoofers in parallel. If you need more than two subwoofers in the installation, or if you want separate left and right channel subwoofers in a stereo installation, you will need more than one SA250 Mk2 amplifier.
Balanced & Unbalanced Connections: The SA250 Mk2 subwoofer amplifier is equipped with balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) inputs and outputs. There is a mono XLR balanced input and a stereo RCA unbalanced input, as well as corresponding outputs to daisy-chaining the audio signal to another SA250 Mk2 amplifier.
- Mono XLR Input: The mono XLR input is the preferred connection. It provides the highest-quality signal with the least amount of noise.
- Stereo RCA Input: The stereo RCA inputs let you combine both left and right channels into one or two subwoofers using a single SA250 Mk2. If you only have a single (mono) channel input, then simply use the left RCA input only.
- Linked Outputs: There are corresponding outputs for the balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) inputs to daisy-chain the low-frequency signal to another SA250 Mk2 amplifier.
Note: If you want to maintain stereo separation by having a subwoofer for each channel, you will need a second SA250 Mk2. In this case, you can use the balanced or unbalanced inputs.
Binding Post & Neutrik Speakon Speaker Output Terminals: The Bowers & Wilkins SA250 Mk2 is outfitted with two sets of binding post terminals and a 4-pole Neutrik Speakon connector for connection of a single in-wall subwoofer or two in-wall subwoofers. The gold-plated binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual).
Front-Panel Controls: The following subwoofer amplifier controls are found on the front-panel of the Bowers & Wilkins SA250 Mk2.
- Volume: Adjust the Volume of the subwoofer amplifier relative to the other loudspeakers in your system. Use a wide variety of program material to get an average setting. A setting that sounds impressive on one soundtrack may sound overpowering on another.
- Low-Pass Filter: Adjust the Low-Pass Filter to give the
smoothest transition between the subwoofer and your loudspeakers. In a home
theatre system, the subwoofer (LFE) signal is a separate channel rather than
an extension of the signal to the other speakers. The Low-Pass Filter should
be switched to Off in this case, because the AV will processor provide all
the necessary filtering.
- Phase: Normally the phase will be set to 0-degrees, but
if your subwoofer is positioned at a distance significantly different from
your other speakers, or the power amplifier driving the other speakers
happens to invert the signal, the 180 position may be preferable. Listen
with the switch in both positions and choose the one that gives the fullest
- Bass Extension: The Bass Extension switch offers three
options of subwoofer bass extension. Position A gives the greatest extension
and position C gives the least extension. Position B provides a compromise
setting. If the system is to be used at very high volume levels or in a
large listening room, restricting the bass extension by selecting either B
or C may help ensure that the subwoofer is not asked to exceed its
performance limits. In most situations the Bass Extension switch should be
left in position A.
- Equalization: The Equalization switch alters the subwoofer bass roll-off alignment appropriate to Movies or Music listening. The Movies position is more suited to the demands of action movie low frequency effects. The Music position is suited to a faster more accurate musical tracks.
3-Way Power Switch: The Bowers & Wilkins SA250 Mk2 subwoofer amplifier is best switched on after any other components and switched off first. The amplifier's 3-way power switch can be set to Standby, Auto, or On.
- Standby: The subwoofer amplifier will become active when 12V is applied to its Standby Trigger input (3.5mm). When 0V is applied to the trigger, the subwoofer amplifier will return to the Standby state. The unit's indicator will glow green when the subwoofer amplifier is active and red when the subwoofer amplifier is in Standby.
- Auto: When an input signal is detected, the subwoofer amplifier will automatically become active and the indicator will glow green. The subwoofer amplifier will return to Standby after about 5 minutes with no input signal. Some AV processors incorporating an automatic set up procedure may be confused by a subwoofer amplifier with an auto On/Standby function and a potentially damaging fault condition may arise. The subwoofer amplifier is best left switched on and fully active during set up if such a processor is used.
- On: The subwoofer amplifier will remain fully active and the indicator will glow green.
12V Triggers: The Bowers & Wilkins Mk2 is equipped with a Standby Trigger Input and an Equalization Trigger Input, each consisting of a 3.5mm minijack on the rear-panel. The subwoofer amplifier will become active when 12V is applied to its Standby Trigger input and return to Standby when 0V is applied. The Equalization Input is designed to receive a 12V signal that will toggle the Movies/ Music setting at the front panel. Set appropriately, the 12V trigger output of a processor can automate ideal performance of the subwoofer.
Mounting Options: The SA250 Mk2 can simply be placed on a tabletop surface using the pre-installed feet. The subwoofer amplifier can also be installed in a standard 19" equipment rack by removing the pre-installed feet and attaching the included brackets and handles (hardware to mount the brackets to your component rack is not included). Ensure that once installed, the amplifier is well ventilated and that its ventilation apertures are not obstructed.
- Dimensions with Pre-Installed Feet: 16.9375" (w) x 3.9375" (h) x 14.1875" (d)
- Dimensions with Brackets/Handles: 19.0" (w) x 3.5" (h) x 15.5625" (d)
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Bowers & Wilkins Mk2 subwoofer amplifier includes a detachable 59" AC power cord. If the system is taken out of use for a long period, disconnect the subwoofer amplifier from the mains power supply.