About the Monitor Audio IWS10, IWB-10, and WA250 In-Wall Subwoofer System
Tight, clean bass with zero footprint
Tight, clean bass with zero footprint
I love the bass that my home theater's subwoofer delivers. But it comes with a tradeoff — the enclosure takes up space on my living room floor. This in-wall bass package from Monitor Audio offers the best of both worlds. You'll enjoy tight, clean bass without a bulky box occupying real estate in your room.
Enjoy deep, impactful bass with music and movies without taking up floor space.
This system includes an in-wall subwoofer, a matching in-wall enclosure, and a 250-watt RMS amplifier. It's a great choice for a custom-installed home theater or stereo system in a small- to medium-sized room.
Ideal for new construction or renovations
The in-wall enclosure installs between two 16" on-center studs before your walls go up. Its sealed acoustic chamber focuses bass output into your listening area. It also helps reduce the amount of sound that bleeds into an adjacent room.
A paintable steel-mesh grille is all you'll see in your room once the installation is complete.
Note: if you're retro-fitting an existing room, we offer an amp and sub bundle without the in-wall enclosure that may be a better option for you.
Matching amplifier included
This package includes an amplifier that you'll install in your A/V cabinet, rack, or equipment shelf. It connects to your home theater receiver or preamp/processor via a subwoofer cable, and to the subwoofer via in-wall speaker wire.
If you ever want to expand your system, this amp can drive up to two IWS-10 subs (available individually) at the same time.
- in-wall subwoofer system with matching external amplifier
- ideal for a discreet home theater or stereo music system
Monitor Audio IWS-10 subwoofer:
- 10" RDT® (Rigid Diaphragm Technology) flat-panel woofer with die-cast chassis and basket
- frequency response: 28-120 Hz
- impedance: 8 ohms
- sensitivity: 86 dB
- cutout dimensions: 11"W x 11"H
- overall dimensions: 12-1/2"W x 12-1/2"H x 3-13/16"D
- paintable bezel and grille
- warranty: lifetime
Monitor Audio IWB-10 in-wall enclosure:
- heavy duty MDF construction with laminated vinyl finish
- fits into standard 14" stud bays (16" on-center)
- includes adjustable steel brackets for installation
- 13-13/16"W x 33-1/2"H x 3-3/8"D
- warranty: 60 days
Monitor Audio IWA-250 power amplifier:
- Class D design
- delivers up to 250 watts into 4 ohms
- built-in digital signal processing (DSP)
- powers on automatically via 12-volt trigger or input signal
- variable low-pass crossover control: 40-120Hz (for use with stereo amplifiers)
- stereo RCA, unbalanced LFE (RCA), and balanced LFE (XLR) inputs
- dual mono binding post speaker outputs for connecting up to two subwoofers
- front-panel phase switch, volume control, and EQ profile switch (music, movie, impact)
- includes brackets for rack-mounting (1U)
- 17"W x 1-15/16"H x 11-5/8"D
- weight: 8.75 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the box:
- Monitor Audio IW-S10:
- In-wall passive subwoofer
- Grille (pre-installed)
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Monitor Audio IWA-250:
- Subwoofer amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- 10' Mono minijack cable
- 2 Rack-mount brackets
- 8 Screws
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Monitor Audio IWB-10:
- In-Wall back box
- 4 Brackets
- 16 Screws
- Installation Diagram
- Important Safety Instructions
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Monitor Audio IWS10, IWB-10, and WA250 In-Wall Subwoofer System
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Pair|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Power Range (Watts)||up to 150|
In-Wall Passive Subwoofer: The Monitor Audio IWS-10 in-wall passive subwoofer features a flat 10" woofer which incorporates Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium (C-CAM) and Rigid Diaphragm Technology (RDT). The result of combining these two technologies is low mass and greater strength that give the woofer the ability to behave as an extremely agile piston, resistant to bending, and light enough to deliver an accurate bass response through large excursions, even within a shallow 3.5625" profile. A large vented pole helps to move air quickly, reducing power compression and heat dissipation.
- Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium (C-CAM): Ceramic-Coated Aluminium/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
- Rigid Diaphragm Technology (RDT): RDT is a unique technology developed specifically by Monitor Audio's engineers. Designed to reduce mass and increase cone stiffness, RDT applies ultra-thin skins of C-CAM to a core of honeycomb Nomex material, creating a structure which is extremely light but incredibly rigid. At only 40 microns thick, the C-CAM skins are half the thickness of a human hair, yet when bonded to the Nomex core they form an RDT cone, which is 150 times more rigid than a single layer of 200 micron C-CAM alloy, but has a fraction of the overall mass. These properties allow the cone to operate as a lightning-fast piston for a clearer more natural sound. The RDT cone's concave geometry has been refined by FEA analysis to provide a smooth frequency response and to eradicate break-up.
- Trimless Grille: The IWS-10 in-wall sub features a "Trimless" steel-mesh grille that covers the entire speaker for a true trimless, stealth look. The IWS-10's trim-less grille and frame edge are paintable to blend discreetly with your room's decor.
Subwoofer Amplifier: The IWA-250 amplifier is specifically designed to power the IWS-10 passive subwoofer; the result is dynamic bass performance from an in-wall subwoofer. Delivering up to 250 watts into 4 ohms, the Monitor Audio IWA-250 power amplifier will power a single or dual IWS-10 in-wall passive subwoofers to provide higher power levels for larger rooms or to meet customer demands. The amplifier utilizes a cool running Class D power stage driven by a PWM supply with integrated DSP. Filtering and functionality are controlled in the software for precise and reliable operation.
Sub Controls: The Monitor Audio IWA-250 power amplifier offers the following sub control to tailor the system to your content, room, application, and preference.
- Volume Control: This control allows the level or volume to be adjusted in order to achieve a balanced overall sound between the subwoofer amplifier system and your AV system.
- Lowpass Crossover: The variable lowpass control (50-120Hz) only operates when using the RCA stereo inputs and is used to set the low pass frequency of the amplifier. The crossover control should be set in accordance with the size or bass output of your front speakers.
- Phase Control: The Phase Control (0/180-degrees) is used to synchronize any delay between the subwoofer amplifier system and your main front speakers. When the subwoofer is in phase with your main speakers the sound should be full bodied.
- EQ Switch: This switch tailors the bass response of the subwoofer amplifier system to your taste. There are three settings - Music, Movies and Impact. Movie mode provides a relatively flat response down to 35Hz. Music mode is -2dB down from Movie mode but goes lower, all the way down to 30Hz. Impact mode is +3dB up from Movie mode and comfortably goes down to 40Hz.
- Enclosure Switch: There is also an enclosure switch to calibrate the drive characteristics when your IWS-10 passive subwoofer is used within or without the IWB-10 back box (sold separately).
Connectivity: The Monitor audio in-wall subwoofer and amplifier offer balanced & unbalanced inputs, along with spring-post input and output terminals.
- Balanced & Unbalanced Inputs: The IWA-250 in-wall sub offers a choice of a single LFE (unbalanced RCA/balanced XLR) or stereo RCA inputs to connect the subwoofer amplifier to your AV receiver.
- Spring-Post Speaker Terminals: The Monitor Audio in-wall sub and subwoofer amplifier are outfitted with spring-post terminals. The subwoofer amp features two pair of spring-post terminals to connect up to two IWS-10 passive subwoofers. The in-wall sub features one pair of spring-post terminals to connect to the sub amp. The spring-post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), banana plugs (dual or single), and angled pin-connectors.
Mounting Options: The IWS-10 is specified to generate excellent bass quality from wall, ceiling, even floor locations, providing a wide range of new and retrofit possibilities ideally but not exclusively with its IWB-10 back box. The Monitor Audio IWA-250 power amplifier's slim design can fit in a1U rack-mount space. The front-panel allows access to all control features for easy adjustment when fitted into a rack bay
- Tri-Grip Clamping System: The IWS-10 features Monitor Audio's patented Tri-Grip clamping system which is easier to install and provides 3x the surface area of a conventional dog-leg type clamp for better overall surface sealing. The four Tri-Grip fixings are made from a tough re-enforced polymer, giving a secure installation. The IWS-10 can only be fixed into drywall with a thickness of up to 1.5". Solid wall installation will require channeling out and frame work constructed to provide a structure for the Tri-Grip dog-legs to clamp to.
- In-Wall Back Box: The included Monitor Audio IWB-10 in-wall back box is designed specifically to provide optimum performance for Monitor Audio's IWS-10 in-wall passive subwoofer. While providing the ideal environment for the IWS-10 in-wall subwoofer, the IWB-10 will also reduce the radiation of sound to adjacent rooms. The IWB-10 is a sealed pre-construction back box, built from MDF and laminated with a rugged black Sandex vinyl finish. The IWB-10 is designed to fit between standard 14" stud spacing or 16" on-center. It comes supplied with adjustable steel fixing brackets. For easier installation, the IWB-10 is pre-wired with external terminals.
Auto Power On/Off: The IWA-250 can be configured to switch on automatically using input signal sensing, or by using its 12V trigger (3.5mm) link from an AV receiver. The IWA-250 will then automatically be switched on and off with your AV system.