About the Klipsch KW-120-THX
Professional-grade THX home theater sound
Professional-grade THX home theater sound
How sturdy is your home's foundation? Well you'd better check it twice before you fire up this dynamic duo. That's because Klipsch designed the KW-120-THX subwoofer and matching KA-1000-THX amplifier to deliver intense levels of movie theater bass that'll rattle your floorboards. This two-piece Klipsch system has more than enough output to rock most rooms. But if your home theater is extra-large, the amp is ready to power a second KW-120-THX sub. A pair of these beasts will satisfy your cravings for even more bass, and meet the stringent requirements for THX Ultra2 certification.
Use KW-120-THX subs and KA-1000-THX amplifers, along with Klipsch's other THX certified speakers, to create your own ultimate THX home theater.
Meet the new boss
The KW-120-THX subwoofer is 80 pounds of pure, unadulterated bass thunder. Built around a 12" cast-frame, long-throw driver with a massive 15-pound magnet structure, this sub can deliver staggering output without breakup or distortion.Klipsch's ultra-light yet rigid Cerametalic™ woofer cone material helps keep the bass tight and accurate. The sub also features a professional-grade NL2 SpeakOn™ input for a secure amplifier connection, and includes a 20-foot THX Ultra certified speaker cable with NL2 SpeakOn connectors.
To ensure years of top-notch performance, Klipsch builds their THX certified speakers to the highest standards. The sub's front-ported enclosure features the same interlocking panel construction found in their professional speakers for maximum structural integrity and strength. Premium-quality internal wiring is used for superior signal transfer and clarity. And Klipsch finishes off the KW-120-THX with a beautiful and durable fascia of black brushed aluminum.
Clean power for smooth bass
The subwoofer system is packaged here with Klipsch's custom-matched KA-1000-THX amplifier. This full-featured Class D amp provides 500 watts of clean power for high-impact, low-distortion bass and is capable of delivering 1000 watts into a 4 ohm load for driving two high-performance subs. It also includes a built-in, defeatable low-pass crossover and level control, boundary-gain compensation switch, continuously variable phase control, and an auto power function for exceptional flexibility. Finished in black with a machined aluminum front panel and knobs, the amp's standard chassis width and handsome appearance allow it to fit in easily with your other components. Or you can hide it away in a cabinet to reduce clutter.
KW-120-THX passive subwoofer:
- frequency response 20-200 Hz (±3dB)
- 12" long-throw Ceremetalic woofer with cast aluminum frame and massive 240 oz. magnet structure
- bass-reflex cabinet with front-firing slot port
- Galaxy Black finish with black anodized aluminum fascia
- impedance: 8 ohms
- NL2 SpeakOn inputs for secure amplifier connection
- 20 foot THX Ultra certified speaker cable with NL2 SpeakOn connectors included
- dimensions: 17-3/4"W x 20-1/4"H x 17-3/4"D (with grille attached)
- weight: 80 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- 500 watts (mono) RMS into 8 ohms (1000 watts into 4 ohms when driving two subwoofers)
- can support two high performance KW-120-THX subs for full THX Ultra2 certified sound
- frequency response: 20-1,000 Hz (+0/-3 dB)
- high-efficiency Class D amplifier with massive toroidal power supply transformer
- continuously variable 40-120 Hz low-pass crossover
- 2 gold-plated RCA line-level/LFE inputs
- 2 gold-plated RCA line-level outputs (pass through)
- THX on/off and boundary gain compensation on/off switches
- adjustable phase control from 0 to 180 degrees
- signal-sensing auto on/off mode
- two professional-style SpeakOn NL2 speaker outputs
- machined black aluminum face plate and knobs
- detachable AC power cord
- 17-1/2"W x 4-3/4"H x 12-1/4"D
- weight: 27 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KW120THX
What's in the box:
- The Klipsch KW-120-THX Bundle includes a THX-passive in-wall subwoofer and matching amplifier (both individually packaged).
- The Klipsch KW120-THX box includes:
- Passive subwoofer
- Owner's Manual
- The Klipsch KA-1000 THX box includes:
- Subwoofer amplifier
- 69" AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
Klipsch KW-120-THX reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Klipsch KW-120-THX
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||40-120|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||---|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||500|
|Frequency Response||20-200 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Bundle Overview: This Klipsch THX-certified subwoofer bundle includes the KW-120-THX passive subwoofer and the Klipsch KA-1000-THX matching amplifier.
Warranty: The Klipsch KW-120-THX and KA-1000-THX are covered by the full manufacturer's warranty for the following terms:
- Subwoofer: 5 Years
- Amplifier: 2 Years
Passive Subwoofer: The Klipsch KW-120-THX passive subwoofer is driven by Klipsch's KA-1000-THX external power amplifier (sold separately) which is tailored to the passive subwoofer's characteristics for maximum output and reliability with extremely low distortion.
12" Cerametallic Woofer: The Klipsch KW-120-THX features a 12" long-throw Cerametallic woofer with rubber surround, cast aluminum frame, and 240 oz ceramic magnet structure. This rugged, no-compromise driver is capable of staggering output without breakup or distortion.
Bass Reflex MDF Enclosure: The Klipsch KW-120-THX employs a Bass Reflex enclosure with a front-firing slot port to maximize installation flexibility. The cabinet is made from MDF with an aluminum fascia and has the dado and rabbet construction used in Klipsch professional speakers for structural integrity.
Neutrik Speakon Connectors & Monster THX Ultra Cabling: The Klipsch KW-120-THX is fitted with Neutrik Speakon (NL2) connectors and includes 20' of Monster THX Ultra speaker cable.
Applications: The Klipsch KW-120-THX is more than adequate for a typical small or medium-sized room. It will deliver intense, powerful deep-bass reproduction, with no loss of clarity or detail at even the highest levels demanded by movie and music soundtracks.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 200Hz (±3dB) 130
- Max. Acoustic Output: 130dB @ 30Hz, 122dB @ 20Hz, 112dB @ 15Hz (1/8 space, 1M)(2 enclosures side-by-side per THX Ultra2)
- Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
- Enclosure Type: Bass Reflex via front-firing slot port
- Enclosure Material: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
- Woofer: 12" front-firing Cerametallic cone, cast aluminum frame driver with a 240 ounce ceramic magnet structure
- Dimensions: Width 20.25", Height 17.75", Depth 17.75"
- Weight: 80 pounds
Subwoofer Amplifier: The Klipsch KA-1000-THX is a high-performance, THX Ultra2-certified Class D digital power amplifier with a built-in subwoofer crossover. It is designed specifically to drive one or two Klipsch KW-120-THX subwoofers (sold separately) to maximum output without audible distortion or risk of damage.
Toroidal Power Supply: This high-performance amplifier has a massive toroidal power supply that is capable of delivering 500W into a 8Ω load or 1000W into a 4Ω load.
Controls: The Klipsch KA-1000-THX subwoofer amplifier has a built-in low-pass crossover, level control, variable phase control, boundary-gain compensation switch, and THX setting.
- Volume Level: The Level control is the volume setting for the amplifier. It is used in conjunction with the subwoofer output level control on your preamplifier or receiver. It is used to adjust the overall output level of your subwoofer system. If the THX control is set to the "On" position, this control will not operate. An LED status indicator is provided to tell you whether or not this control is operational - GREEN for active and RED for bypassed.
- Low-Pass Crossover: The Low-Pass Crossover control allows you to select the proper frequency at which your subwoofer system blends with your main speakers. It is selectable from 40-120Hz. You should set this control to the approximate low-frequency limit of your main left and right speakers. In a THX system, this setting would be 80Hz. If the THX control is set to the "On" position, this control will not operate. An LED status indicator is provided to tell you whether or not this control is operational - GREEN for active and RED for bypassed.
- Phase Control: The Phase control on the KA-1000-THX is continuously variable from 0° to 180°. This control allows you to fine tune the performance of your subwoofer system by optimizing the blend with the main speakers. Basically, one of the positions will result in an audible increase in bass output depending upon room placement.
- Boundary Gain Compensation: The Boundary Gain Compensation switch allows you to fine-tune the low-end extension of the subwoofer system based upon room placement. In some room locations, the subwoofers low-end response may become exaggerated or boomy due to the increase in output from your room's acoustics. In this case, selecting the "On" position will restore the system to a flatter, less boomy response. If you are using a THX Ultra2 receiver or processor and you have selected "Ultra2" for the sub setting, the boundary gain compensation switch should be set to "Off.
- THX: The THX switch provides a means to bypass the crossover and level controls when using a THX preamplifier or receiver. In the "On" position, the crossover and level controls do not function. (In this configuration, your preamplifier or receiver will perform those functions.) In the "Off" position, the crossover and level controls operate normally. Be sure the volume level on your preamplifier or receiver is turned down before changing the setting of this switch.
Connections: The Klipsch KA-1000-THX subwoofer amplifier provides line-level inputs and line-level or speaker-level outputs.
- Line Level Input: The Line Level input consists of a
pair of gold-plated RCA jacks. Either one or both may be used. This input
function as either a Line Level input or an LFE Input, depending on the position of the THX On/Off switch. When THX is On, the Low Pass Crossover is bypassed and the Line Level input effectively functions as an unfiltered LFE input.
- Line Level Output: The Line Level output consists of a pair of gold-plated RCA jacks. Either one or both may be used. This output is an unfiltered pass-thru of the Line Level input signal. It can be used to connect to a second KA-1000-THX amplifier or to connect back to your electronics if needed.
- Speaker Level Output: The Speaker Level outputs are two professional style Speakon NL2 connections. This is a simple connection that is easy to use and secure. This connection is repeated on the back of the subwoofer enclosure. If you are using two KW-120-THX subwoofers, connect the second one in the same fashion to the KA-1000-THX's second output jack.
Aluminum Front-Panel: The Klipsch KA-1000-THX subwoofer amplifier is finished in black with a machined aluminum front-panel and knobs.
Auto Power Function: The Auto Power switch has two settings - "On" and "Off". In the "Off" position, the Master Power switch turns the amplifier on or off. If you leave the Master Power switch in the "On" position and set the Auto Power switch to the "On" position, then the amplifier will automatically turn itself on and off when an audio signal is detected. There is a 2 second On delay and a 15 minute Off delay when using the Auto Power function.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 1kHz (+0/-3dB)
- Power Output:
- 8Ω Load: 500 watts (FTC rated)
- 4Ω Load: 1000 watts
- Low Pass Crossover: Continuously variable from 40-120Hz (24dB/octave slope above 120Hz in non-THX mode)
- Phase: Continuously variable from 0° to 180°.
- Dimensions: Width 17.375" Height 4.625" Depth 13.8125"
- Weight: 27 pounds.
1 question already asked