About the Sonos Ray 4.1 Home Theater Bundle
Effortless and affordable home theater
This value-packed Sonos bundle delivers dynamic home theater sound without taking up a ton of space.
Effortless and affordable home theater
The Sonos Ray offers surprisingly powerful sound in a small package. Each of its built-in speakers is driven by a matching amplifier and expertly tuned by Sonos's award-winning engineers for rich, balanced audio. But what's even better? That same bar matched with a slim subwoofer and a pair of surround speakers in a 4.1 home theater sound system.
This bundle includes a Sub Mini to add dynamic bass and a pair of Era 100 speakers as surrounds for wraparound effects. All the speakers communicate with each other wirelessly, so you only need to plug each one into AC power.
Connect with Sonos
One cool thing about Sonos is that it's easy to expand your system as you gain more room or your budget opens up. This 4.1 system can link together wirelessly with other Sonos speakers to stream music throughout your home. The Sonos app has an intuitive interface that makes it easy to play whatever you want, wherever you want.
You can play the same content everywhere at once, or pop on something different in each room. Start up the Audible version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in the living room for the kids, while you chill to "King of Sweden" by Future Islands in the den.
Stream with AirPlay 2
Apple fans are in good hands. AirPlay 2 lets you stream from an iPhone® or iPad® and connect the sound bar to the AirPlay ecosystem. If you're a subscriber to Apple Music®, you can use Siri to control and play that service with your voice too.
Match your sound to the room
If you have an iOS® device, you can calibrate the sound bar using Trueplay™. This lets you use your iPhone or iPad to match the bar's sound settings to the specific shape and acoustics of your room. This feature measures how sound reflects off your walls, ceiling, and furniture and optimizes it to fit the space.
Easy setup and control
Getting everything ready to go is simple. First, you'll plug each component into AC power. The only other connection you'll need to make is an optical cable between your sound bar and the TV. (The cable is included in the box.) From there, it only takes a few minutes to wirelessly group the Sub Mini and the Era 100s with the Ray using the Sonos app.
- includes Sonos Ray sound bar, Sub Mini wireless powered subwoofer, and pair of Era 100 surround speakers
- plays TV sound, streaming music, and digital audio files from your home network
- communicates with other Sonos players via Wi-Fi or a dedicated SonosNet wireless network
- stream sound from TV shows and movies to other Sonos speakers
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone or iPad and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- Spotify Connect for easy music streaming
- compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice control devices
Sonos Ray sound bar:
- 4 built-in speakers, each with a matching Class D digital amplifier
- 2 high-efficiency woofers for warm, accurate mids and lows
- 2 tweeters for crisp highs
- low-velocity bass-reflex (ported) design minimizes distortion
- Speech Enhancement option helps clarify dialogue
- Night Sound mode keeps sound effects quiet while boosting voices for late-night listening
- optical digital audio input (cable included)
- Ethernet port for a wired internet connection
- wall-mountable (wall mount sold separately)
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 22"W x 2-13/16"H x 3-3/4"D
- weight: 4.29 lbs.
- dual 6" force-canceling woofers for deep, dynamic bass with no cabinet buzz or rattle
- each woofer powered by a dedicated Class D amplifier
- compact acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure
- audio settings are automatically adjusted to balance the Sub Mini with your sound bar
- dimension (measured by Crutchfield): 9-1/8"W x 12"H x 9-1/8"D
- weight: 14 lbs.
Pair of Era 100 surround speakers:
- compact, humidity-resistant design
- 2 angled tweeters and 1 mid-woofer for stereo sound
- each driver powered by its own Class D amplifier
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 4-3/4"W x 7-1/4"H x 5-1/4"D
- weight: 4.44 lbs. (each)
Sonos control app:
- free download from Apple App Store and Google Play
- compatible with Apple® and Android™ devices
- play the same song on multiple Sonos speakers, or have different music playing on each one
- Trueplay automatically adjusts Sonos speakers to your room for optimum performance
- Trueplay currently works with iOS devices only
- plays MP3 and WMA streaming internet radio stations
- plays MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, Ogg Vorbis, and WAV files
- plays personalized internet radio stations from Pandora
- stream music from online services such as Apple Music, TIDAL, Qobuz and more (subscription required for some services)
- access 60,000+ live radio stations from around the world with Sonos Radio
- all components require AC power (cables included)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the box:
- Sonos Ray:
- Active soundbar speaker
- 6.5' AC power cord
- 5' Optical digital cable
- Setup Guide
- Important Product/Safety Information
- Sonos Era 100:
- 2 Wireless audio speakers
- Two 6.5' AC power cords
- Setup Guide
- Important Safety Information
- Sonos Sub Mini:
- Wireless powered sub
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Quickstart Guide
- Important Product Information
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Sonos Ray 4.1 Home Theater Bundle
Features & specs
|Type of Front Speakers||Sound Bar|
|Includes Center Speaker||No|
|Includes Rear Speakers||Wireless (included)|
|Includes Powered Subwoofer||Yes|
|System Frequency Response||Not given|
|Sound Bar||Not Given|
|Subwoofer Power||Not given|
|Front Speaker Tweeter||N/A|
|Front Speaker Midrange||N/A|
|Front Speaker Woofer||N/A|
|Center Speaker Tweeter||N/A|
|Center Speaker Midrange||N/A|
|Center Speaker Woofer||N/A|
|Sound Bar Tweeter||2|
|Sound Bar Midrange||N/A|
|Sound Bar Woofer||2|
|Rear Speaker Tweeter||N/A|
|Rear Speaker Midrange||N/A|
|Rear Speaker Woofer||N/A|
|Subwoofer Driver||6" Cone (2)|
|Subwoofer Passive Radiator||N/A|
|Dimensions & Weight|
|Front Speaker Size (inches)||N/A|
|Front Speaker Weight||N/A|
|Center Speaker Size (inches)||N/A|
|Center Speaker Weight||N/A|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||22W x 2-13/16H x 3-3/4D|
|Sound Bar Weight||4.29 lbs.|
|Rear Speaker Size (inches)||4-3/4W x 7-1/4H x 5-4/16D|
|Rear Speaker Weight||---|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||9-1/8W x 12H x 9-1/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||4 lbs.|
|Surround Formats -Self-powered Systems-|
|Audio Enhancements -Self-powered Systems-|
|Audio Streaming -Self-powered Systems-|
|Online Music Sources||via Sonos app|
|Apple AirPlay||AirPlay 2|
|Amazon Music||Amazon Music HD|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Wi-Fi Networking -Self-powered Systems-|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11n|
|HDMI Connections -Self-powered Systems-|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||N/A|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||No|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Voice Control||Alexa & Google Assistant optional|
|Control by App||iOS,Android,Fire,Win,Mac|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Yes|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Network & Multiroom Audio
2.0 Channel Active Soundbar: The Sonos Ray active soundbar speaker features a 4-driver stereo array with two tweeters that create a crisp high frequency response and two high efficiency midwoofers that ensure faithful playback of midrange frequencies and solid bass. The 4-driver array is housed in a bass reflex system with two proprietary low-velocity designed ports that minimizes distortion and adds to the soundbars low-end bass frequencies. The drivers are powered by 4 discrete Class D amplifiers that have been fined-tuned to the soundbar's unique acoustic architecture and characteristics.
Wireless Rear Speakers: The two included Sonos Era 100 wireless rear speakers allow the Sonos Ray soundbar system to create 4.0 channel surround. The Era 100 delivers finely tuned stereo sound with clear highs and rich bass at any volume level. Three discrete class-D amplifiers precision-tuned for the speaker's unique acoustic architecture power its three-driver array that consists of two tweeters and one mid-woofer. The dual angled tweeters create a crisp and accurate high frequency response and stereo separation, while the one mid-woofer ensures faithful playback of mid-range vocal frequencies and deep bass.
Wireless Powered Subwoofer: Within the acoustically sealed cabinet of the Sonos Sub Mini are dual 6" custom woofers that generate deep bass down to 25Hz. Both woofers face inward to create a force-canceling effect that neutralizes distortion, while the sealed cabinet prevents any unwanted rattle or buzz for tight, accurate bass. Each 6" woofer has its own Class-D amplifier that has been perfectly tuned to the unique acoustic architecture of the Sub Mini distortion-free bass response.. Furthermore, the integration of advanced DSP (digital signal processing) enhances the Sub Mini's bass response even more. A blend of equalization and advanced limiting algorithms allow the Sub Mini to produce deep, rich bass that is normally associated with larger subwoofers.
Dolby Digital & DTS: The Sonos Ray active soundbar speaker supports Dolby Digital (5.1ch), DTS (5.1ch), and Stereo PCM (2ch) audio through its optical (toslink) digital audio input connection. The Sonos Ray does not have dedicated center, surround, or subwoofer channels. Instead, it uses matrix technology to render center channel, virtual surround sound effects, and LFE (low frequency effect) from its front-firing stereo driver array. The Sonos Ray, Sonos Sub Mini, and Era 100 rear speakers deliver 4.1 channel audio playback.
Note: The Sonos Ray does not support Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, or Multichannel PCM.
Trueplay Tuning (for Apple iOS only): Trueplay tuning technology optimizes the sound for the unique acoustics of the room where Sony Ray, Sub Mini, and Era 100 speakers are placed, calibrating the the speaker system for its precise localization. The layout of a room, and where a speaker is placed, can have a significant impact on the sound that you hear. Trueplay, an auto-tune app within the Sonos App, uses the microphone in your Apple iOS 11.0+ device to measure how sound reflects off walls, furnishings and other surfaces in a room, and then fine tunes the Sonos Ray soundbar speaker to make sure it sounds great no matter where you've placed it. The Sonos soundbar system already sounds fantastic, but Trueplay brings you even closer to how music should sound. Completing Trueplay tuning for a room takes approximately 3 minutes from start to finish.
- You will need to retune the Sonos system using TruePlay, if you reposition the soundbar, sub, or rear speakers.
- Trueplay is currently not compatible with Android devices.
Audio Settings: The Sonos S2 Controller app lets you make audio adjustments from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- Equalizer: Adjustable EQ settings can be found in the Sonos S2 app. From the app you can adjust Bass, Treble, and Loudness.
- Speech Enhancement: The Sonos Ray was carefully tuned with the help of Oscar-winning sound engineers to emphasize the human voice so you never miss a word. Turn on Speech Enhancement in the app to clarify dialogue when characters talk quietly or action intensifies.
- Night Sound: Night Sound reduces the intensity of loud sound effects. Night Sound allows you to enjoy late night TV without waking the whole house by balancing the sound output of loud and soft passages.
- AV Sync: If the soundbar's audio is out of sync with the video, you can adjust the audio delay (lip sync) from the Sonos S2 app.
Note: These audio adjustments can only be made from the Sonos S2 Controller app and not from the top-panel controls on the soundbar.
Optical Digital Audio Input: The Sonos Ray is equipped with a single optical (toslink) digital audio input for connection to your TV. The optical digital input supports Dolby Digital (5.1ch), DTS (5.1ch), and Stereo PCM (2ch) audio. The optical digital input does not support Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, or Multichannel PCM.
Note: The Sonos Ray does not offer HDMI connectivity and is not equipped with analog audio inputs. It also does not support Bluetooth.
Mounting Options: The Sonos Ray soundbar, Sonos Mini Sub, and Sonos Era 100 wireless rear speakers offer flexible mounting and placement options.
- Sonos Ray Soundbar: The Sonos Ray soundbar speaker can be positioned below or above the center of your flat-panel TV on a tabletop, shelf, stand, or piece of AV furniture. The Sonos Ray can also be wall-mounted using the Sonos Ray Wall Mount Bracket (sold separately).
- Place horizontally on a stable and level surface at least 2" from the TV.
- If put on a shelf, place at the front and keep 2" (minimum) clearance on both sides for best sound quality.
- Keep 1" space (minimum) above Ray so you can reach the touch controls.
- For best sound quality, keep both ends of Ray at least 1" from a wall or other obstruction.
- Era 100 Rear Speakers: Designed for versatility, the Sonos Era 100 can be positioned almost anywhere in your room. It can be placed on a tabletop, desktop, countertop, speaker stand (such as the 616E100SB; sold separately), or even on a bookshelf. The Era 100 can also be wall-mounted using an optional wall-mount bracket system (616E100MB; sold separately). The Era 100 is even designed to withstand high humidity, such as in a bathroom with a running shower. However, the Era 100 is not waterproof or water resistant.
- When the Era 100 is placed next to a wall or on a shelf, leave at least 1.0" of space around the back of the speaker for best performance.
- If using two Era 100 speakers as a stereo pair, place the speakers 8' to 10' apart. Your main listening position should be 8' to 12' from the paired speakers (less distance increases bass, while more distance improves stereo imaging).
- If you using two Era 100 speakers as surrounds, place each surround speaker about 10' from your main listening position with the speakers angled tward the main seated listening position. Also, leave at least 8" of clearance around each speaker for optimum performance.
- Sonos Sub Mini: The Sub Mini features a unique cylindrical design that is both compact and elegant, so it fits and looks great in pratically any small to medium size room. Sub Mini's unique cylindrical cabinet was purposefully designed for flexible placement, allowing it to face any direction. It sits perfectly beside your furniture, and easily fits under a desk or table.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Sonos Ray, Sub Mini, and each Sonos Era 100 speaker come with a detachable 6.5' AC power cord that will plug into the back of the speakers and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately).
Network & Multiroom Audio
Sonos Wireless Multiroom Audio Eco-System: The Ray active soundbar speaker is part of the Sonos wireless multiroom audio eco-system consisting of a family of wireless network speakers, players, and amplifiers. Start with a single Sonos product and add more Sonos products over time. With multiple zones, you can play the same or different songs in different rooms of your home. Compatible distributed audio sources include internet radio, online music services, local network music libraries, as well as hardwired inputs. Up to 32 Sonos devices and 16 groups can be connected in one system. The Sonos Ray is compatible with the new Sonos S2 operating system (OS) and does not support the older Sonos S1 operating system (OS).
- Sonos S2 OS Compatible Products: The Sonos Five, One SL, Roam, ARC, Beam (Gen 2), Sub (Gen 3), and any Sonos products released after May 2020 will only be compatible with Sonos S2.
- Sonos S2 and S1 OS Compatible Products: The Sonos Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 (Gen 2), Playbase, Playbar, Connect (Gen 2), Connect:Amp (Gen 2), One (Gen 1/2), Beam, Amp, Port, Boost, Move, and Sub (Gen 1/2) support both Sonos S2 and S1 operating systems.
- Sonos S1 OS Compatible Products: The Sonos CR200 Controller, Zone Player, Bridge, Connect (Gen 1), Connect: Amp (Gen 1), and Play: 5 (Gen 1) will only support the older S1 operating system.
- If you have have both, older "legacy" Sonos products and newer Sonos products in your system, you have the option to create two separate eco-systems - one that will be controlled with the older Sonos S1 controller app and the other that will be controlled by the newer Sonos S2 controller app.
- Click here for more information regarding Sonos "Legacy" S1 versus the new Sonos S2 Operating System and App.
WiFi Certified: In order to enjoy internet radio, online music services, your local network music libraries and Apple AirPlay 2, you'll need to connect the Sonos speaker system to your home's wireless network router and ISP (internet service provider). This Sonos speaker system is WiFi certified and supports 2.4GHz WiFi (802.11n). Sonos brings your great sounding music wirelessly to any room in your house, without a big wiring project thanks to WiFi certification. The Sonos system's wireless range will be dependent on your home's existing WiFi network.
- The Sonos Ray soundbar also provides a wired Ethernet (RJ45) network connection.
- This Sonos speaker system does not support the SonosNet wireless mesh network.
Internet Radio Stations: Sonos offers a wide variety of Internet Radio stations and services. Some Internet Radio Services require a paid subscription and fees. Click here for all available Internet Radio Services.
- Sonos Radio: Sonos Radio is a free service that brings the best of Sonos and partner services into one place, making it even easier to listen to radio and discover new music on your system. Sonos Radio features thousands of live radio stations to choose from; listen to music news, sports, and more from over 60,000 local and global stations. You even get a special selection of genre stations with music expertly curated by Sonos.
- iHeartRadio: iHeartRadio delivers all your favorite music and radio in one free service. Thousands of the best live Radio stations from across the country. Custom Stations created from 20 million songs and over 800,000 artists. You tell us an artist you like and iHeart Radio will build a playlist you love. iHeartRadio is free to listen with no capped hours or monthly subscription fees.
- Pandora: Pandora gives you personalized radio that plays what you love and continually evolves with your tastes. Start with the name of an artist, song, genre, or comedian, and create a station. If you are not sure what to listen to, you can browse through our hundreds of curated genre station to find the perfect match for your mood. You can choose between Pandora's free ad-supported account or a Pandora Plus ad-free account with higher 192kbps bit-rate.
- TuneIn: TuneIn gives you access to the world's radio stations, shows and podcasts, all for free. Over 100,000 channels from every corner of the earth, plus live and on-demand radio shows from around the world.
- SiriusXM: With SiriusXM, you can stream up to 155 channels of commercial-free music, play-by-play and sports talk, world class news, comedy, exclusive entertainment, and more. Search to easily find channels, shows, episodes and more. You'll need a SiriusXM subscription that also offers internet streaming.
Online Music Services: Sonos offers a wide variety of online music services. Some online music services require a paid subscription and fees. Click here for all available online music services.
- Apple Music: Apple Music is a subscription-paid streaming service with over 60 million songs ad-free. Easily find your favorite artists, discover new music, listen to curated playlists, and get exclusive artist content and interviews. Follow lyrics while you listen, tap ahead, or sing along with lyrics view. Enjoy at home, in the car, and across all your devices.
- Amazon Music: here are three tiers of access to Amazon Music on Sonos. Amazon Music Unlimited customers can stream tens of millions of songs and listen to curated playlists, stations, and weekly new releases, available to Prime Members for only $7.99/month (non-Prime price: $9.99/month). Amazon Music HD is a new tier of premium quality music with more than 50 million songs in High Definition (HD). At just $12.99/month for Prime members or $14.99/month for Amazon customers, Amazon Music HD makes high quality, lossless audio accessible to all music fans. Existing Amazon Music Unlimited subscribers (Individual or Family Plan) can upgrade to Amazon Music HD for an additional $5/month. Prime Music is a curated, on-demand, ad-free music streaming benefit featuring a growing selection of two million songs, and personalized recommendations at no additional cost with your Amazon Prime Membership.
- Deezer: Deezer is a subscription-paid online music service that offers you over 43 million songs at your fingertips. Stream almost any song you can think of or kick back with an endless selection of playlists, mixes, albums. You'll need a Deezer Premium+ or Deezer HiFi account to use Deezer with Sonos.
- Napster: Napster is a paid online music service that provides you with a music collection complete with millions of songs, entire albums and artist hits spanning the decades. Enjoy more than 30 million tracks at 320kbps AAC.
- Qobuz: Qobuz is a paid streaming service that gives you access to more than 40 million tracks. Discover new artists and albums with selections and playlists from musical experts. On Sonos you can stream 320kbps MP3 streams through the Qobuz Premium Subscription or experience high-quality FLAC (16-bit /44.1kHz) streaming using the Qobuz Hi-Fi Subscription.
- Spotify: Spotify is an online music service giving users the ability to stream music on demand to Sonos using Spotify's unique technology. Spotify and Sonos will allow access to all of your existing Spotify playlists and their entire catalog. Sonos supports Spotify Free and Spotify Premium accounts. A Spotify Free account allows you to search for Spotify artists, albums, and playlists in the Sonos app. When listening to music with a Spotify Free account, you’re limited to six song skips per hour.
- Tidal: Tidal streams music in lossless, high fidelity audio quality, ensuring the best sound experience possible. Discover new and old favorites with news, recommendations, curated playlists, moods and genres. All with High Fidelity Streaming. Create and edit your own playlists with more than 25 million tracks available. Tidal offers two paid streaming platforms - Tidal HiFi (Lossless Flac 16-bit/44.1kHz) or Tidal Premium (AAC 320kbps).
- YouTube Music: YouTube Music is a subscription-paid online music service allows you to easily find what you're looking for and discover new music. Get playlists and recommendations served to you based on your context, tastes, and what's trending around you.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on select Sonos components and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the Sonos unit. You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Sonos product.
- Compatible AirPlay 2 Devices From Sonos: Sonos Ray, One (Gen 1/Gen 2), One SL, Five, Play:5 (Gen 2), Amp, Port, Playbase, and Beam (Gen 1/Gen 2) all support AirPlay 2.
- Non-Compatible AirPlay 2 Devices from Sonos: Even though the Sonos Play:1, Play: 5 (Gen 1)Play:3, Playbar, Connect, Connect:Amp, and ZonePlayer are not AirPlay 2 compatible, you can still group these Sonos devices with an AirPlay 2 compatible Sonos product (listed above) to unlock AirPlay for your entire system.
Music Libraries: Sonos supports playback of music from any computer or network-attached storage (NAS) device on your home network where you have shared music folders. Sonos can play music stored on up to 16 PCs, Macs or NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices on your home network, supporting the most popular audio formats. Sonos indexes your music folders so you can view your music collection by categories (such as artists, albums, composers, genres, or tracks).
- File Formats: Sonos supports the following audio file formats - MP3 (compressed), WMA (compressed), AAC (MPEG4), Ogg Vorbis, Audible (format 4), Apple Lossless, FLAC (lossless), WAV (uncompressed), and AIFF (uncompressed).
- Sampling Frequencies: Supported sampling rates include 16kHz, 22.5kHz, 24.0kHz, 32.0kHz, 44.1kHz, and 48kHz.
Sonos S2 App: Sonos S2 is a new app (for Apple iOS 14.0+ / Android OS 8.0+ / Fire OS 7.0+ / Mac OSX 10.11+ / Windows 8+) that powers the next generation of Sonos products. The Sonos S2 app offers new features, usability updates, and more personalization moving forward. The updated app makes it even simpler for you to search for content, control the sound, and personalize your listening experience. Use the Sonos S2 app to setup your Sonos speaker system, control your Sonos speaker system, stream your favorite internet radio stations and online music services, access local network music libraries, and personalize your speaker system.
- Setup: The app lets you easily setup the Sonos speaker system. Get step-by-step instructions for setting up a new system and/or adding more speakers to your system.
- Control: With the Sonos S2 app, you can control all your Sonos speakers, soundbars, and components. Adjust volume levels, group products to play in sync, or play something different in every room.
- Music & Radio: The Sonos S2 app brings together hundreds of internet radio stations and online music services. You also get access to local network music libraries on your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer. Use the app to browse all your music, podcasts, radio, and audiobooks all in one place.
- Personalized Settings: Save favorites and room groups to My Sonos to get to the music faster, create alarms so you can wake up to a favorite radio station or playlist, filter out explicit content, and more.
- Security: Enhanced protocols, including support for elliptic curve cipher suites in SSL/TLS, keep your system safer and your data more secure.
- The Sonos Ray is not compatible with the older Sonos S1 Controller app and requires the new Sonos S2 Controller app.
- Some older Sonos products ("legacy" products) will not support the advances of the S2 app due to their memory and processing power. If you own any of these products, you can continue to use your system as you do today. See System Requirements for more details,
Sonos Voice Control: Using a voice-capable Sonos speaker (like the Sonos One - sold separately), you can operate the Sonos Ray soundbar with Sonos Voice Control. Sonos Voice Control was created purely for listening on Sonos and delivers fast, accurate hands-free control of your music and your Sonos system with privacy. With Sonos Voice Control, you can use voice requests to control Sonos products in your system. You can even ask Sonos Voice for multiple things on multiple Sonos products at once. Sonos Voice Control finds the music you want to listen to by processing requests entirely on the device for faster response times and effortless follow-ups. All you need is one "Hey Sonos" and you can follow up without the need for additional wake-words. Just like the Sonos app, you can control music and speakers in any room, easily play music around the home, save and like your favorite songs to your personal music library, and more.
- Music Control: Use Sonos Voice Control to play songs, artists, albums, playlists, genres, and more from select music services (including Sonos Radio, Apple Music, Amazon Music, Deezer, and Pandora). More services may be available in the future (not ETA). Click here for a complete list of the latest compatible music services. You can also use Sonos Voice to adjust the volume level, pause your music, skip tracks, and more. You can even ask Sonos Voice to "Like" or "Unlike" a song, as well as get information on what song is playing. In addition, you'll be able to group/ungroup rooms, plus move your music from one room to another.
- Home Theater Control: Sonos Voice can also be used to turn the Sonos Ray on or off, as well as switch between Night and Speech enhancement modes.
- Total Privacy: Designed with privacy at its core, Sonos Voice Control processes requests entirely on the device. No audio or transcript is sent to the cloud, stored, listened to, or read by other parties.
- The Sonos Ray is not equipped with it own built-in microphone and requires a separate voice-capable Sonos speaker (like the Sonos One; sold separately) in order use Sonos Voice Control.
- Click here for a more comprehensive list of Sonos Voice controls.
- Make sure your Sonos device has the latest firmware/software update installed.
Works With Alexa & Google Assistant: You can control your Sonos system through any Alexa or Google Assistant enabled device (including the Sonos One, Amazon Echo, and Google Home - all sold separately). Specific control functions will vary by digital voice assistant. You'll need to download the Alexa app (Apple iOS 14.0+, Android OS 8.0+) or Google Home App (for Apple iOS 14.0+ and Android OS 8.0+) onto your compatible mobile device for setup.
- Amazon Alexa: You can ask Alexa to play music on a specific Sonos device in an specific room of your home from these featured music services (Apple Music, Amazon Music, TuneIn, Pandora, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, & Spotify). Using the Alexa app, you can group your Sonos products and your Alexa-enabled devices together. This makes it easier for Alexa to control your Sonos products based on which room or area they are in. You can pause, resume, and skip songs, as well as change the volume with all Sonos compatible online music services. Click here for more information regarding Amazon Alexa on Sonos.
- Google Assistant: You can ask Google to play music on a specific Sonos device in an specific room of your home from these featured music services (Spotify, YouTube Music, Pandora, Deezer, Tidal, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio). You can pause, resume, and skip songs, as well as change the volume with all Sonos compatible online music services. Click here for more information regarding Google Assistant on Sonos.
- The Sonos Ray does not have a built-in microphone for voice control. A separate Alexa or Google Assistant enabled device is required and sold separately for voice control.
- You can only configure your Sonos system to work with one digital voice assistant; choose either Alexa or Google Assistant (you cannot use both). You will need to search and enable the Sonos skill from the Alexa or Google Home app on your mobile device or computer. Your Sonos equipment and Amazon Alexa-enabled devices must be on the same wireless network.
- Sonos and Alexa or Google Assistant work together using a single Amazon or Google account. If you have a second Sonos system in another location, you'll need to use a second Amazon or Google account if you'd like to use Alexa. An Amazon or Google account can only be in use on one Sonos system at a time.
IR Commands: Even though the Sonos Ray does not come with a remote control, it does feature a front-panel IR receiver that can receive commands from a TV remote control. Your TV's remote control will need to be programmed to operate the Sonos Ray. Control functions will included Volume Up/Down and Mute. Click this link for instructions on how to program your TV's remote to operate the Sonos Beam Ray
Top-Panel Controls: The Sonos Ray also has touch-sensitive top-panel controls basic functions such as as Play/Pause, Volume Up/Down, and Previous/Next Track.
Automatic Updates: The Sonos Ray supports free automatic software updates so you will always have the newest features and music services to enjoy. Simply register the speaker and Sonos will automatically notify you when software updates are available through the Sonos S2 Controller app. By simply pressing one button your system updates itself. The Sonos Ray(Gen 2) must be connected to your home network and the internet for automatic software updates
Internet Service Provider: You'll need a high-speed, wired internet service provider connection such as cable, fiber, or DSL. Wireless internet connections such as satellite, mobile hotspots, or 4G LTE routers can experience delays between the internet connection and Sonos and are not supported. Using these types of connections can cause music to not play, skip, or cut out completely.
Wireless Setup: Your network router must broadcast a 2.4GHz signal for Sonos products to connect to. If you have a dual band router (2.4GHz and 5GHz), do not disable the 2.4GHz signal. Wireless-N and Wireless-AC routers should work with Sonos as long as they are still broadcasting over B and G WiFi. Most Wireless-N and AC routers should do this unless manually configured not to.
- The network must not contain enterprise access points that have been configured to require certificates or other forms of enterprise authentication. If you are using multiple access points, make sure they are all set to the same 2.4GHz wireless channel.
- Networks using wireless range extenders are known to cause issues with Sonos systems that are configured in a wireless setup. If you need to extend your home WiFi to use Sonos in a wireless setup, we recommend using a WiFi mesh router to do so.
- Sonos cannot connect to guest networks or networks that use a Port page to login.
Wired Setup Requirements: A Sonos system operating in a wired setup will require one of your Sonos products to remain connected to the router via Ethernet cable at all times. If your Sonos system is in a wired setup and you use a WiFi mesh router with multiple wireless nodes, we recommend wiring your Sonos product directly to the primary wired mesh node. Avoid wiring any Sonos products to the wireless mesh nodes. If you are on a corporate or advanced network, it must not block Spanning Tree Protocol (STP).
Note: Ethernet over Power devices (also known as HomePlugs or Powerline adapters) are not supported by Sonos. While they may work for some systems, they tend to cause intermittent problems with Sonos. EoP adapters create an added delay between your network and Sonos. If the internet connection is too slow or the delay is too great, it can cause your music to skip or cut out completely or your players to drop off from the network.
Sonos S1 or S2 Controller App: Sonos offers a Sonos Controller app for Apple iOS 14.0+, Android OS 8.0+, Fire OS 7.0, Mac OSX 10.11+, and Windows 8+. The Sonos S2 is a new app and operating system (OS) that powers the next generation of products and experiences. In addition to new features, usability updates, and more personalization moving forward, Sonos S2 enables higher resolution audio technologies for music and home theater. Most Sonos products are compatible with S2. Some older Sonos "legacy" products will not support the advances of S2 due to their memory and processing power. The older Sonos "legacy" app is referred to as the Sonos S1 app.
- Sonos Products That Support the Sonos S1 and S2 Controller App: Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 (Gen 2), Playbase, Playbar, Connect (Gen 2), Connect:Amp (Gen 2), One (Gen 1/2), Beam, Amp, Port, Boost, Move, Sub (Gen 1/2).
- Sonos Products That Only Support The New S2 Controller App: Five, One SL, Roam, ARC, Sub (Gen 3), and any Sonos products released after May 2020.
- Sonos Products That Only Support The Old S1 Controller App: CR200 Controller, Zone Player, Bridge, Connect (Gen 1), Connect: Amp (Gen 1), Play: 5 (Gen 1).
- If you have have both, older "legacy" Sonos products and newer Sonos products, you have the option to create two separate eco-systems - one that will be controlled with the older Sonos S1 controller app and the other that will be controlled by the newer Sonos S2 controller app.
- Click here for more information regarding Sonos "Legacy" S1 versus the new Sonos S2 Operating System and App.
Supported Audio Files: Supported audio files from online music services and local music libraries include MP3, WMA, AAC, OGG, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, and WAV. Sonos can supports FLAC music files up to 16-bit/44.1kHz for "CD-quality" sound. All supported sample rates include 16kHz, 22.5kHz, 24.0kHz, 32.0kHz, 44.1kHz, and 48kHz. Internet Radio streams are supported only in WMA, MP3, and AAC.