About the Sony RSX-1 Hi-Res Music System
Audiophile sound for automotive enthusiasts
Audiophile sound for automotive enthusiasts
If you're into digital music, you're probably used to settling for "lossy" sound when you play your favorite tunes in the car. Well, you don't have to settle anymore. Sony's High-Resolution Audio system lets you enjoy the songs you love with all the glorious details originally captured in the studio.
With Sony hi-res, you'll hear your music like never before
The RSX-1 combo package will take your sound from "meh" to magnificent in one smart purchase. This system includes the RSX-GS9 receiver, plus 6-3/4" XS-GS1621 speakers, XS-GS-1 supertweeters, and the XM-GS4 4-channel amp. Sony designed these components to work together to produce stunning, audiophile-quality sound in your car.
It starts with the receiver
Sony built their RSX-GS9 hi-res digital media receiver to deliver "no-compromises" audio quality in your vehicle. The digital and analog sections live in two separate layers inside the incredibly rigid chassis, so noise from vibration and interference is virtually eliminated. Sony uses superior components found in their high-end home audio gear to ensure that your music is delivered with the highest possible fidelity.
The RSX-GS9 works with most digital file types, including WMA, MP3, AAC, FLAC, and DSD. Hi-res files will sound fantastic, of course, but you'll also be impressed by what Sony's Digital Sound Enhancement Engine does for old, non-hi-res tunes. It's compatible with Apple® or Android® smartphones, so you can play your music using the built-in Bluetooth®, NFC, or Sony's SongPal app, which lets you browse a wide variety of streaming services.
High-performance 6-3/4" speakers
This receiver needs speakers that can keep up. Sony's XS-GS1621 2-way speakers feature rigid, reinforced Kevlar woofer cones that deliver focused midrange and strong midbass punch, even during high-volume playback. Synthetic fiber dome tweeters reveal the natural detail that lesser speakers couldn't even hope to reproduce. Rugged rubber surrounds ensure that these speakers are as durable as they are dynamic.
Better tweeters for total sound
Sony's XS-GS1 supertweeters extend the system's frequency range as high as 50,000 Hz, and those ultra-high frequencies provide the ambient details that add nuance and character to your music. You'll also get specially designed crossover networks with premium-grade capacitors and gold-plated terminals to limit resistance.
A powerful amp handles the highs
Your hi-res system needs an amp with plenty of power and punch. Sony's XM-GS4 4-channel amplifier can reproduce frequencies as high as 100,000 Hz, so your high-res files and downloads will come to life with pinpoint clarity. And no, you can't hear those extreme high tones, but they do add ambience to your music, increasing realism and emotional impact. This compact amp sports a hefty heatsink and a fan, so your amp will stay cool and produce the power this speaker system demands.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Important Note: Our Car Selector checks the RSX-1 receiver and the 6-3/4" speakers for fit in your vehicle. If the package doesn't fit, you can check the links above to the receiver and speakers separately to see if they'll fit in your car.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This digital media receiver will not play CDs.
Sony RSX-GS9 high-res digital media receiver (does not play CDs)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming (external mic included)
- no built-in amplifier
- plays MP3, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AAC, WMA, AIFF, and DSD files
- limited iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- inputs: front and rear USB ports, front microUSB input, front and rear auxiliary inputs
- warranty: 1 year
Sony XS-GS1621 6-3/4" 2-way car speakers (pair)
- mica reinforced cellular (MRC) Kevlar woofer with rubber surround
- 1" synthetic fiber dome tweeter
- power range: 10-75 watts RMS (320 watts peak power)
- frequency response: 32-30,000 Hz
- warranty: 3 years
Sony XS-GS1 1" soft dome supertweeters (pair)
- high-quality external crossover networks included
- power handling: 2-75 watts RMS (320 watts peak power)
- frequency response: 17,000-50,000 Hz
- flush-, angled-, and surface-mount hardware included
- warranty: 3 years
Sony XM-GS4 4-channel car amplifier
- 70 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (80 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 160 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms in bridged mode (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
- separate variable high- and low-pass filters for front and rear channels (50-300 Hz, 12 dB per octave)
- separate bass boosts for front and rear channels (0-10 dB at 40
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the box:
- Sony RSX-GS9:
- Digital media receiver
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- 15A Fuse box
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (RM-X261)
- 3V CR2025 battery (installed in remote)
- 53" USB extension cable
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 11' cord terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- Hook-and-loop strap
- 2 Removal tools
- 4 ISO-mount screws (M5 x 8mm)
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr)
- "Playing A USB Device" instructions
- Warranty sheet
- Sony XM-GS4:
- 4-Channel amplifier
- Operating instructions
- Warranty information
- Sony XS-GS1621:
- Two 2-way speakers
- 2 Grilles
- 2 Grille frames
- Eight 1-1/8" Self-tapping screws
- Warranty information
- Template on box
- Sony XS-GS1:
- 2 Super tweeters (with attached 11" wires)
- 2 External crossovers
- 2 Surface mount fixtures
- 2 Angled surface mount fixtures
- Four 1-1/8" Self-tapping screws
- Two M4x3mm Flat-head machine screws
- 2 Adhesive backed foam pads
- Warranty information
More details on the Sony RSX-1 Hi-Res Music System
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||N/A|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,FLAC,WAV,DSD,|
|High-res Playback||up to 24-bit/192kHz, 5.6M|
ESS DAC w/ High-Precision Clock Generator: Experience the same caliber of sound usually reserved for high-end home audio products, thanks to the ESS DAC chip (ES9018S); an industry-leading 32-bit D/A converter that provides optimum quality from all your digital music files. A high-precision clock generator works to improve digital-to-analog conversion accuracy. The clock generator further refines digital-to-analog conversion for precise, stable sound.
High Rigidity Chassis & Aluminum Front-Panel: The RSX-GS9 high res digital media receiver has a high rigidity receiver chassis. This minimizes internal and external vibrations, achieving ultra-low distortion even in harsh in-car environments. Its machined aluminum front-panel offers a sophisticated design and minimizes unwanted resonance even further.
Separate Chassis Blocks: The dual-layer design of the chassis separates analog and digital circuitry, preventing noise and interference for uncompromised sound quality. Each component bock has its own dedicated circuit to optimize performance.
High-End Operation Amp & Audio Capacitors: High-end operation amp components (MUSE8920) are used in the RSX-GS9's analog circuits for greater depth of sound and audio realism. Sony's specialized audio capacitors work to deliver high-fidelity sound with a bright, full-bodied tone
6ch/5V Preamp Outputs: The Sony RSX-GS9 high res digital media receiver is equipped with 5-volt Front, Rear, & Sub pre-amp outputs giving you the ability to connect external amplifiers to your car stereo system. The unit's subwoofer preamp output is non-fading.
Note: This unit is not equipped with a built-in amplifier. You will need to purchase an external amplifier(s).
Optical Output: The head unit's Optical (toslink) digital output is designed for connecting a power amplifier with an optical digital input.
DSEE HX Upscaling: DSEE HX technology injects more life into your music, upscaling compressed files to near High-Resolution Audio quality. Restoring the subtleties of the original recording gets you closer to the sound of a live performance. This feature can only be accessed from the SongPal app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
High-Pass & Low-Pass Filters: The front & rear preamp outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 63Hz, 79Hz, 99Hz, 125Hz, 158Hz, 198Hz, 250Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (-12, -24, -36, or -48 dB/oct) of the high-pass crossover. The subwoofer preamp output features a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 63Hz, 79Hz, 99Hz, 125Hz, 158Hz, 198Hz, 250Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (-12, -24, -36, or -48 dB/oct) of the low-pass crossover. These HP & LP filter settings can be controlled from the included IR remote or SongPal app.
Sub Control: You can adjust the subwoofer preamp output's volume level (-10 to +10dB) independently from the head unit's main volume control. In addition, you can select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse. Sub controls can be adjusted from the included IR remote or SongPal app. .
EQ10: R&B, Rock, Pop, Dance, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Jazz, Soul, Country, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of 10 different frequency bands - Band1 (32Hz), Band2 (63Hz), Band3 (125Hz), Band4 (250Hz), Band5 (500Hz), Band6 (1khz), Band7 (2khz), Band8 (4kHz), Band9 (8kHz), and Band10 (16kHz). The equalizer curve setting can be memorized for each source. The EQ presets can be selected from the remote, while the custom EQ has to be configured from the SongPal app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Listening Position: This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker to suit your position, and simulate a natural sound field with the feeling of being in the center of it wherever you sit in the car. You can choose from Front Right, Front Left, Front, Center (All), or Off. You can also set the subwoofer distance of the subwoofer to Near, Normal, or Far. You can even manually set the distance from each speaker to your desired position from 0' to 11.5'. These time-alignment settings can be controlled from the included IR remote or SongPal app.
Loudness: The Loudness feature reinforces bass and treble for clear sound at low volume levels. Loudness is controlled from the included IR remote or SongPal app on your mobile device.
Front & Rear USB Port: The Sony RSX-GS9 high res digital media receiver features a front-panel USB (type-A) port and a rear-panel USB (type-A) port; the rear-panel USB port also includes a 53" USB extension cable. The receiver's front- and rear-panel USB ports can be used for plugging in (MSC) Mass Storage Class USB devices formatted in FAT 16/32; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The head unit can play a variety of music files stored on compatible USB MSC devices. The unit will recognize up to 997 music folders and 10,000 total music tracks.
- Control: You can control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause & Previous Next track from the receiver's front-panel or remote.
- No Metadata Display: There is no song/artist/information display and no elapsed playing time or track number display.
- Charging: USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's USB port (1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The front-panel USB (type-A) port is labeled "USB-1" in the source display. The rear-panel USB (type-A) port is labeled "USB-2" in the source display. The front & rear USB (type-A) ports are not compatible with newer Android operating systems that use MTP or AOA 2.0.
Front-Panel microUSB Port: The Sony high res digital media receiver is equipped with a front-panel microUSB (type-B) port to connect a high resolution audio source like your Windows PC, Mac laptop, or high res portable audio player. You'll be able to playback DSD & PCM high resolution music files. There is no playback control from the head unit or remote control, and there is no song/artist/information display or no elapsed playing time or track number display. You will need to control music playback and view song/artist information from your high res source device.
- Windows PC: To play high-resolution audio files on your Windows PC through the Sony digital media receiver, you will need to download the Hi-Res Audio Player or Media Go software for Windows. A Windows PC also requires installing a dedicated Sony USB driver.
- Mac Computer: To play high-resolution audio files on your Mac computer through the Sony digital media receiver, you will need to download the Hi-Res Audio Player software for Mac. No additional driver is required for a Mac computer.
Note: The unit's microUSB (type-B) port is labeled "USB-DAC" on the source display. The unit's microUSB (type-B) port is not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad devices.
Compatible Audio Files: Playable file formats, sampling frequencies, and bit depths differ depending on whether the USB (type-A) port or the microUSB (type-B) port is used.
|Music File Formats||Front-Panel microUSB (type-B) Port||Front- or Rear-Panel USB (type-A) ports|
ASIO Native: 2.8 MHz/1-bit, 5.6 MHz/1-bit
|Playback not supported|
|PCM||Max. 192 kHz/24 bit||Playback not supported|
|DSF||Playback not supported||2.8 MHz/1-bit (PCM convert)|
|DSDIFF||Playback not supported||2.8 MHz/1-bit (PCM convert)|
|WAV||Playback not supported||
192/176.4/96/88.2/48/44.1 kHz; 24-bit |
192/176.4/96/88.2 kHz; 16-bit
|AIFF||Playback not supported|| 192/176.4/96/88.2/48/44.1
kHz; 24-bit |
192/176.4/96/88.2 kHz; 16-bit
|FLAC||Playback not supported||
192/176.4/96/88.2/48/44.1 kHz; 24-bit |
192/176.4/96/88.2 kHz; 16-bit
|ALAC||Playback not supported|| 192/176.4/96/88.2/48/44.1
kHz; 24-bit |
192/176.4/96/88.2 kHz; 16-bit
|AAC||Playback not supported||16/22.05/24/32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz; 16-320 kbps|
|WMA||Playback not supported||32/44.1/48 kHz; 16-320 kbps|
|MP3||Playback not supported||16/22.05/24/32/44.1/48 kHz; 16-320 kbps|
Stereo Minijack Input (Aux 1): A front-panel stereo minijack input (3.5mm) is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable digital music player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device. The Aux level volume adjustment is only available through the SongPal app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
High Level Input (Aux 2): The high res digital media receiver also features a left & right high-level input for connection to an audio device with a left & right high-level output.
Android OTG Compatible: The Sony high res digital media receiver's front-panel microUSB (type-B) port also provides connect to select Android (OS 4.0+) smartphones with OTG compatibility. When connecting an Android smartphone which supports OTG, a USB OTG cable (sold separately; not available at Crutchfield) is required. Download the USB OTG Checker app onto your Android smartphone to check. Depending on the Android smartphone, downloading a dedicated app for playing high-resolution audio files is also required.
- No Control: There is no playback control from the head unit or remote control. All music playback control will still have to be done from your Android device.
- No Metadata Display: There is no song/artist/information display and no elapsed playing time or track number display. Visual data can still be viewed from the LCD touchscreen on your Android device.
- No Charging: There is no charging of your Android device when connected to the microUSB port.
iPod/iPhone USB Direct Connection: The RSX-GS9 high res digital media receiver's front- or rear-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to connect select iPod/iPhone devices via the Lightning-to-USB or 30-pin to USB cable that comes with your iPod or iPhone (not included with this head unit). This USB 1-Wire connection offers music playback, basic control, & charging of select iPod/iPhones. The USB connection bypasses the iPod/iPhone's DAC and uses the head unit's high-quality ESS 32-bit DAC to maximize sound quality.
- Control: You can control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause & Previous Next track from the receiver's front-panel or remote. Newer Apple iOS devices with iOS 6.0+ allow you to continue to use your Apple device's touchscreen to navigate your stored music and access music apps; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- No Metadata Display: There is no song/artist/information display and no elapsed playing time or track number display. Visual data can still be viewed from the LCD touchscreen on your Apple iOS (6.0+) device. Older Apple devices will remain locked with no display.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB (1.5A) connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone (not iPad). If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony RSX-GS9 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 1/7/2016):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||SongPal App||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Bluetooth Technology: The Sony RSX-GS9 high res digital media receiver is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), SSP (Serial Port Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.5 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony RSX-GS9. Please visit Sony eSupport for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
SSP + NFC Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony RSX-GS9 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings; simply press-and-hold the "Pairing" button on the front of the head unit and activate Bluetooth on your Bluetooth-enabled mobile device. Android (OS 4.1+) smartphones that have Near Field Communication (NFC) pair simply by touching the Android device's NFC tag to the head unit's NFC tag on it rotary-knob. For older Android smartphones with OS 4.0 or lower, download the NFC Easy Connect app from Google Play to use the head unit's NFC pairing function.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The Sony RSX-GS9 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). The receiver features an external microphone (w/ adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles front speakers only. And thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the RSX-GS9 provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls.
- Answer/End A Call: You can answer a call by pressing any button on the head unit's front-panel while there is a ring-tone from your front speakers only. To end a call, simply press the "SRC/Off" button. To reject a call, hold down any button on the front-panel for 2 seconds. There is no Caller ID during a phone call.
- Making A Call: You cannot make a call using the Sony RSX-GS9's front-panel controls or the included remote. You will need to make the call using your mobile phone and transfer the call to the head unit. Or, you can use the SongPal app on your Apple iOS or Android device to make a call via voice command.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Sony RSX-GS9 supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player. You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Sony RSX-GS9 for playback. Basic playback controls include Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track; there is no song/artist info display. Advanced music navigation and song/artist display will still need to be done from your Bluetooth-enabled mobile device.
- SBC & AAC: The Sony RSX-GS9 supports Bluetooth's standard SBC codec and Apple's AAC codec.
- LDAC Codec Support: The high res digital media receiver also supports Sony's newest LDAC codec. LDAC is a new audio technology from Sony that allows you to enjoy high quality wireless audio via Bluetooth. With 3x the data transmitted (compared to regular Bluetooth), LDAC provides an enhanced wireless listening experience for all your music.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
SongPal App (for Apple iOS & Android): Download Sony's free SongPal app onto your Bluetooth-paired Apple iOS (7.0+) or Android (4.0.3+) device and take control of the Sony RSX-GS9 high res digital media receiver right from your mobile device. You'll enjoy control over a variety head unit functions, as well as navigation and seamless access to all your sources, music, apps, and more from your smartphone. The app can also be used to help customize sound & audio settings of the Sony receiver. The app even provides Voice Command functions and Notification Readouts for compatible Android smartphones.
- Receiver Sources: From the SongPal app on your smartphone device you can access and select the head unit's Tuner (AM/FM), USB, Bluetooth, and Aux sources. You'll also be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track or Station. In addition, you'll be able to view song/artist information and station identification from the SongPal app on your mobile device.
- Add-On Applications: You can integrate music, movie, navigation, and other applications that are already on your smartphone device within the SongPal app for easier access. Once an app is selected within the SongPal app, your smartphone's screen will divert to selected app. Audio of that source will be played through the RSX-GS9; any visual data will only be displayed by your iPhone or Android device. Basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Next Track are available from the head unit; advanced control functions are still done from your smartphone device.
- Volume & Sound Adjustments: You can access the head unit's sound menu and make adjustments from the app on your iPhone or Android device. Sound adjustments included Volume Up/Down, Balance/Fader, EQ, Listening Position, DSEE HX, and Sub Level.
- Voice Recognition (Android only): You can use voice commands to ask for directions from Google maps or to play a particular song/artist in your smartphone's music library. You can even assign a music application within the SongPal app as a voice tag, so you can access it by simply speaking the name of the application. While using voice commands there will still be times where you have to make a selection on your smartphone's touchscreen.
- Notification Readout (Android only): Exclusive to Android devices, incoming SMS/Text and Twitter/Facebook/Calendar notifications are automatically read aloud through the RSX-GS9 and your vehicle's speakers to keep you safe and in touch. You can even reply to a text message via voice command and a list of preset replies.
Note: The digital media receiver offers very few front-panel controls and while the IR remote does provides much more control over the receiver, the SongPal App is required for advanced functionality.
IR Remote: The high res digital media receiver comes supplied with an IR remote control for wireless operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control a variety of functions (not Bluetooth Phone) of the Sony receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. The digital media receiver offers very few front-panel controls, so the remote is needed for many of the head unit's functions.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
OEL Display: The Song RSX-GS9 high res digital media receiver features a front-panel OEL display with white back-lit text. The OEL display indicates Source Input, Volume Level, Clock, AM/FM station number, and Menu Settings.
- Dimmer: To change the brightness of the OEL display you can set the RSX-GS9 to one of three dimmer modes; Dimmer Auto (dims the display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on), Dimmer Off (deactivates the dimmer), and Dimmer On (display always dim).
- Display Illumination/Clock Display: The clock only display when the head unit is in "standby" mode. Pressing the Source/Off button once will switch sources. Pressing and holding the Source/Off button for one second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. To turn the unit off completely, you must press and hold the Source/Off button for two seconds.
Note: This unit's OEL display does not provide song, artist, or album information; nor does it offer playback time or track number text display.
Digital Clarity Tuner: The Sony RSX-GS9 is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets in each in band (FM 1-3/AM 1-2), for a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets. Presets can be stored automatically using the Best Tuning Memory (BTM) feature. Presets can be accessed using the arrow keys on the front-panel or the included remote control.
4-Channel Amplifier: The Sony XM-GS40 is is a four channel amplifier with independent controls for the front and rear sections. Both the front and rear sections are bridgeable, so the amp can be used in 4-channel, 3-channel, or 2-channel mode.
- Crossover: The front and rear sections of the amp have independent crossover controls. 3-position switch; Low Pass, Off (crossover is bypassed), High Pass. 50-300 Hz; continuously variable.
- Subsonic Filter: The front and rear sections of the amp also have independent subsonic filter controls. The cutoff frequency is continuously variable from 6 Hz to 70 Hz.
- Bass Boost: For added low frequency output, the amplifier has bass boost circuits centered at 40 Hz, variable from 0 to +10 dB. There are separate bass boost controls for the front and rear amplifier sections.
- Power/Ground Terminals: The power and ground screw terminals are 0.55" wide.
- Remote Terminal: The remote turn on screw terminal is 0.35" wide.
- Speaker Outputs: Each speaker output screw terminal is 0.37" wide.
- Speaker-level Input Harness: An 8-pin speaker level input harness is included, allowing you to easily connect the amplifier to a factory radio or a receiver without preamp outputs. When using the speaker level inputs, the amp will automatically turn on when it senses an input signal.
Two-Way Speakers: The Sony XS-GS1621 woofers use an MRC cone (Mica Reinforced Cellular glass fiber composite) with Kevlar to reduce weight and increase rigidity, delivering full bass response. For a smoother response and improved durability, each woofer uses a rubber surround. Each speaker uses a 1" soft dome tweeter for outstanding dispersion and clarity. The crossover point is 5 kHz and the slopes are 12 dB/octave high pass and 6 dB/octave low pass.
- Bi-amp Inputs: The integrated 2-way crossover has separate inputs for the woofer and tweeter; this lets you drive the speaker system with dedicated power for the separate speaker elements, instead of sharing power. Out of the box there are jumper wires shorting the tweeter and woofer inputs; the jumper wires must be removed to bi-amp the speakers.
- Mounting: The speakers can be easily mounted in a variety of 6-3/4" applications. Given the required cutout, they will also fit into the opening for a typical 6-1/2" speaker (approximately 5" diameter) but the screw hole pattern is larger than a standard 6-1/2", so new holes would have to be drilled.
Note: Sony's rated power spec for the XS-GS1621 is 75 watts (derived using IEC 60268-5 standards). They also list the CEA 2031 compliant RMS power as 110 watts. We've adopted the 75 watt rating simply because it's the more conservative figure.
Super Tweeters: The Sony XS-GS1s are soft dome super tweeters, intended to pickup where typical tweeters roll off. Their frequency response is 17 kHz to 50 kHz and the high pass crossover point is 20 kHz. The smooth slope design of the baffle offers a wide dispersion pattern and the super tweeters are designed to be mounted facing the windshield so they reflect sound across a wider listening area. The effect of the wide dispersion and front-facing design is that sound reaches your ears radially, for an enveloping feeling.
- Crossovers: The high pass crossovers' slope is 12 dB/octave with a 20 kHz crossover point. The inputs and outputs are screw terminals; they will accommodate bare wire or spade connectors up to 0.31" wide. There are two mounting holes in the base of each crossover.
- Mounting: The super tweeters can be flush mounted, surface mounted, or surface mounted at an angle using the included housings. (The units are permanently mounted in the flush mount housings, then bolted into one of the surface mount housings, if used.) When mounting on a flat (horizontal) dash, the angled mount should be used to direct the output toward the windshield.
Note: Sony's rated power spec for the XS-GS1 is 75 watts (derived using IEC 60268-5 standards). They also list the CEA 2031 compliant RMS power as 120 watts. We've adopted the 75 watt rating simply because it's the more conservative figure.