About the AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon
Closed-back version of AudioQuest's flagship 'phones
Audioquest's NightOwl Carbon headphones look and feel as luxurious as their open-back siblings, the Nighthawk Carbon headphones. But this closed-back version offers a bit more bass and better sound isolation. The earcups are made of liquefied wood and plant fibers, molded and solidified into the best shape for comfort and sound quality. This special "liquid wood" material glistens nicely in the light, and shares the same lively acoustic properties as real wood.
- over-the-ear headphones made of sustainable materials
- closed-back design for better noise isolation and strong bass
- hidden airflow port helps lower resonance
- 50mm high-excursion drivers built to emulate the sound of free-standing loudspeakers
- bio-cellulose diaphragm is extra-light and strong
- driver's split-gap motor helps produce tightly-controlled, natural sound
- we recommend using a headphone amp/DAC like the AudioQuest DragonFly Black v1.5 or DragonFly Red v1.0 for optimum performance
- unique suspension system evenly distributes the headphones weight on your head for effortless fit
- quickly and automatically adjusts to your head
- oversized protein-leather earpads feel soft and comfortable
- made from biodegradable protein powder
- replacement cloth-covered earpads included
- durable "liquid wood" earcups sculpted into acoustically optimized shape
- 3D printed open-mesh grilles control airflow for purest sound
- high-performance, durable detachable cable with 45-degree 3.5mm miniplug
- length: 51 inches
- high-purity Copper conductors allow for optimal signal transfer with minimal distortion
- 1/4" adapter with thick Direct-Silver plating
- foam-padded carrying case
- cleaning cloth
- sensitivity: 99 dB
- impedance: 25 ohms
- weight: 12.2 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # NOWLHEADCARBON
What's in the box:
- Over-ear headphones
- Pair of Protein Leather earpads (installed)
- Pair of Ultra Suede earpads
- 51" Audio cable with 1-button remote (angled 3.5mm plug)
- Screw-on 3.5mm-to-1/4" Plug adapter (installed)
- Cloth storage pouch
- Padded storage case
- Silver polishing cloth
- Black polishing cloth
- Headphones Pre-Flight Guide
- Limited Warranty Statement
More details on the AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||3.521" x 4.298"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year (2 Yrs w/reg)|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year (2 Yrs w/reg)|
Overview: Like the Nighthawk, the AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon state-of-the-art over-ear headphones are designed with technology found in many of today's loudspeakers. These technologies have been applied to headphone listening, resulting in an immersive and emotional listening experience. NightOwl Carbon headphones come with two pairs of ear pads, a 51" straight cable, a 3.5mm-to-1/4" adapter, two cleaning cloths, and a luxuriously-padded zippered storage case.
Ear Cups: The ear cups are shaped to follow the general contour of the human ear--rounder at the rear, wide at the top, narrowing toward the bottom. This design provides greater comfort and less stress on the listener's head and ears. It also helps isolate external sounds. The headband self-adjusts when you put them on, providing ultimate comfort for long listening sessions.
Ear Pads: Two sets of ear pads are included in the box. One pair of ear pads is made of Protein Leather, a bio-derived synthetic fabric that is durable, pliable, and soft. Protein Leather ear pads seal tighter for better isolation and improved treble clarity. The other set features an Ultra Suede covering which breathes freer for greater comfort and enhanced bass impact.
Liquid Wood Enclosures: The NightOwl Carbon's ear cup enclosures are made from all-natural Liquid Wood. Liquid Wood is made of 100% renewable raw materials, including lignin, natural fibers, resins, and waxes, combined and treated so that it can be injection-molded. The enclosures have support beams that give them structural integrity, much like the internal bracing in a loudspeaker cabinet. Liquid Wood has far superior acoustic properties than plastic or other materials used in headphones, which gives the NightOwl Carbon a distinctive clear and warm sound.
Drive Units: The NightOwl Carbon utilizes 50mm dynamic drivers that resemble the high quality drive units found in the most sophisticated loudspeakers. The diaphragms are constructed of rigid bio-cellulose with a urethane rubber surround, which results in well-controlled bass, rich midrange, and natural highs, with low distortion.
Closed Design: The NightOwl Carbon is a true closed-back headphone to give you maximum isolation from the outside world. The earcups feature a vent that runs along the perimeter of each dome and exits through a hidden airflow-resistive port to relieve the buildup of air pressure and let the drivers breathe freely.
Audio Cable: The NightOwl Carbon comes with a 51" high-quality audio cable. Using technologies found in AudioQuest's loudspeaker cables, the larger 51" high-end NightOwl cable uses high-purity copper conductors with very little oxygen content. The cable's plugs feature Direct-Silver plating over a base metal of Tellurium Copper (TeCu). TeCu is known for it's purity and machinability, which results in better plating quality and contact mating for improved signal transmission. The cable has a 1-button remote on the yoke with controls for music playback and phone calls. The supplied, screw-on 3.5mm-to-1/4" adapter features thick Direct-Silver plating over high-purity copper.
Break-in Period: Like other mechanical devices such as loudspeakers and phono cartridges, the NightOwl Carbon headphones require a "break-in" period in order to reach optimum performance. A suggested break-in period is approximately 150 hours listening to music at safe volumes. A similar "burn-in" period for the NightOwl cable is also recommended. This can be accomplished by leaving your components powered on, and the headphones plugged in, even when there is no music playing. This allows the molecules in the dielectric to gradually be arranged from a random order into a more uniform order. This process can take approximately 2 weeks.
Warranty: The AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon carries a 1-year warranty. An additional year warranty will be added when you register the headphones with the manufacturer.
- Maximum Power Handling: 1.5 W
- Impedance: 25Ω
- Sensitivity: 99dB SPL/mW
- Dimensions: Ear Cups: Width 3.592", Height 4.251", Depth 2.375"
- Weight: 12.9 ounces
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked