About the Eton Blackout Buddy Connect Charge
A smarter nightlight
A smarter nightlight
The Blackout Buddy Connect Charge is a motion-sensing nightlight, but it's also a whole lot more. It has built-in Wi-Fi so you can use the Eton mobile app to do all sorts of cool stuff with it on your smartphone. For example, you can use Connect Charge's built-in motion sensor to trigger home automations. And when you're not home, the app can notify you when the Connect Charge senses motion, or if your power or Wi-Fi goes out.
A flashlight when you need it
The Blackout Buddy Connect Charge is also a handy rechargeable emergency flashlight. When the power goes out, it will automatically illuminate. If you need to light your way as you walk, just unplug it and take it with you — it'll shine for up to 30 hours on a full charge.
All that, and it charges your phone, too
The Connect Charge has two USB charging ports on the side. Use it day to day as a handy USB wall charger. But those USB ports really come in handy when the power goes out, because they will keep charging your phone or tablet using the Connect Charge's internal battery.
- flashlight automatically turns on when power goes out
- ideal for emergency preparedness
- 3 LED bulbs light your way
- up to 30 hours of use on a full charge
- ambient light (nightlight) modes can be selected with slider switch on device
- auto: light turns on when the room is dark and motion is sensed
- sw: light is app-controlled and will not automatically come on when the room is dark
- 2 USB charging ports
- each port is rated at 1A charging output
- when power goes out, connected devices continue to charge using the Blackout Buddy Connect Charge's internal battery
- built-in Wi-Fi enables smart features via the Eton app:
- control the device's ambient light (device's slide switch must be in SW mode)
- receive notifications on your phone if motion is sensed or when the Wi-Fi or power goes out
- compatible with Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Google Home devices
- set up the built-in motion sensor to trigger other connected devices in your home automation system
- view timestamps for previous 100 motion detections
- plugs into standard AC wall outlet
- swivel plug lets you rotate device to direct light where you need it
- 2-13/16"W x 5-1/2"H x 1-1/8"D
- weight: 6.7 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RCCONNECTCHG-AAG
What's in the box:
- Wi-Fi connected emergency LED flashlight
- Owner's Manual
- "Welcome to the Eton family" sheet
More details on the Eton Blackout Buddy Connect Charge
Overview: The American Red Cross Blackout Buddy Connect Charge from Etón is an emergency flashlight and nightlight that is always ready when you need it. Leave it plugged in, and when the power goes out, the Blackout Buddy comes on automatically. The device has built-in Wi-Fi, giving you extra "smart home" features. Blackout Buddy has a built-in rechargeable battery with a swiveling AC plug for charging.
Backup Battery: The Blackout Buddy Connect Charge has an internal 2000 mAh rechargeable battery that can be used to power or charge your USB devices. The battery charges in approximately 4 hours. The Battery Buddy Connect Charge has two built-in USB (Type A) charging ports on the side that delivers 5V/1A power to your USB device, even if the power is out.
LED Flashlight: When the lights go out, the Blackout Buddy's bright, 3-LED flashlight lights the way. When it's plugged into an AC outlet, the flashlight automatically comes on when the power goes out (or you unplug it from the outlet). Unplugged, the flashlight operates with the power button. When not plugged in to AC power, you can turn the flashlight on or off using the power button. When the battery is fully charged, the LED flashlight provides more than 30 hours of light.
Nightlight: If the Blackout Buddy Connect Charge is plugged into an AC power outlet, it can be used as a nightlight or ambient light with two modes of operation. With the side switch in Auto, the Light Sensor automatically turns on the Nightlight when it gets dark, and turns it off when the room is bright enough. When the switch is in the SW (Software) mode, the Nightlight will be controlled by your smartphone application. In this mode, the Light Sensor has no control over the Nightlight.
Sensors: Blackout Buddy Connect Charge features an ambient light sensor on the front panel to determine how much light is in the room for nightlight operation. A motion sensor above the ambient light sensor detects motion inside the room using PIR (passive infrared) technology. In certain modes, the motion detector will automatically turn on the nightlight when motion is detected.
Wi-Fi Features: The Blackout Buddy Connect Charge can connect to your local Wi-Fi network (802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz only). If you have Smart Home devices, such as Wi-Fi controlled lights, thermostat, or security system, the flashlight can be used in your automation system. Some of the connected features include:
- Works With Voice Assistants: When connected to your home Wi-Fi system, the flashlight works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Apple HomeKit, allowing you to control the light via voice commands.
- Motion Sensing: The built-in motion sensor in the flashlight can be used to alert you of activity inside your home. If motion is detected by the Blackout Buddy, you'll receive a notification on your smartphone. The motion sensor records the previous 100 motion detections, and allows you to view the time stamps for the detections in the Etón Home app.
- Power Failure Notification: If the power goes out in your home, you'll receive a notification on your smartphone through the Etón app. You can also set up the app to notify you even if the Wi-Fi network goes down.
- Home Automation: The motion sensor can be used to trigger other connected devices in your home. For example, when you enter your home, the motion detector could trigger your automation system to turn on lights or adjust your thermostat. The app has four default home automation scenes, plus custom scenes you can create for controlling your system.
Note: The Etón app is available for Apple iPhone/iPad with iOS 8.0 or later, and for Android devices with version 4.4 and up.