About the Eton American Red Cross Blackout Buddy Connect Color
A smarter nightlight
A smarter nightlight
The Blackout Buddy Connect Color is a motion-sensing auto-dimming nightlight, but it's also a whole lot more. It has built-in Wi-Fi so you can use the Eton mobile app to do all sorts of cool stuff with it on your smartphone. You can select your own custom color for the nightlight's surface glow. And if you've got an Amazon Alexa or Google Home device, you can also control the Connect using your voice.
The Eton app also allows you to use Connect's built-in motion sensor to trigger home automations. And when you're not home, the app can notify you when the Connect senses motion, or if your power or Wi-Fi goes out.
A flashlight when you need it
The Blackout Buddy Connect Color is also a handy rechargeable emergency flashlight. When the power goes out, it will automatically illuminate. If you need to light your way as you walk, just unplug it, fold the AC prongs down, and use it as a flashlight. A full charge will last up to four hours.
- unplug and fold down AC prongs to use as a blackout flashlight
- ideal for emergency preparedness
- automatically turns on when power goes out
- 50-lumen LED bulb lights your way
- up to 4 hours of use on a full charge
- three selectable nightlight modes
- auto: light turns on when the room gets dark and off when room is illuminated; when no motion is detected in a dark room, the nightlight's glow dims
- dark: light turns off completely off if no motion is detected and turns on to full brightness when motion is detected
- off: nightlight stays off regardless of room's brightness or motion
- power button cycles through nightlight color options
- built-in Wi-Fi enables smart features via the Eton app:
- select from millions of nightlight colors
- receive notifications on your phone if motion is sensed or when the Wi-Fi or power goes out
- voice control via Amazon Alexa or Google Home devices
- set up the built-in motion sensor to trigger other connected devices in your home automation system
- 2-1/16"W x 4-5/8"H x 1-1/8"D
- weight: 2.8 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ARCBB203C-SNG
What's in the box:
- Emergency LED flashlight
- Owner's Manual
More details on the Eton American Red Cross Blackout Buddy Connect Color
Overview: The American Red Cross Blackout Buddy Connect Color from Etón is an emergency flashlight and night light that is always ready when you need it. Leave it plugged in, and when the power goes out, the Blackout Buddy comes on automatically. The device has built-in Wi-Fi, giving you extra "smart home" features. Blackout Buddy has a built-in rechargeable battery with fold-out AC plugs for charging.
LED Flashlight: When the lights go out, the Blackout Buddy's bright, 50 lumen single LED flashlight lights the way. When it's plugged into an AC outlet, the flashlight automatically comes on when the power goes out (or you unplug it from the outlet). Unplugged, the flashlight operates with the power button. When the battery is fully charged, the LED flashlight provides up to 4 hours of light.
Color Nightlight: You can use the Blackout Buddy Connect Color as a nightlight. You can choose the color of the soft glowing internal light from some 16-million colors. To choose the color, plug it in and press the power button. The colors will gradually change from green, to blue, to purple, to red, to white. When a desired color is displayed, press the power button again to save it. If the light is plugged into an AC power outlet, it can be used as a nightlight, automatically turning on when it gets dark. When it's time to sleep, the nightlight will automatically dim, or turn off completely, depending upon the mode you set.
Sensors: Blackout Buddy Connect Color features an ambient light sensor on the top to determine how much light is in the room. When the room is dark, it will turn on the nightlight. When the light in the room increases, the nightlight will automatcally turn off. A motion sensor near the bottom front of the light detects motion inside the room using PIR (passive infrared) technology. In certain modes, the motion detector will automatically turn on the nightlight when motion is detected.
Operating Modes: The side-mounted 3-way Slide Switch lets you select one of three modes:
- Auto Mode: In Auto mode, the Blackout Buddy Connect Color turns on the nightlight when the room gets dark, and off when the room is lightened. The Motion Sensor controls the nightlight by turning on the light if motion is detected. If no motion is detected, the nightlight will automatically dim after 30 seconds.
- Dark Mode: In Dark mode, the nightlight operates similarly to the Auto Mode, however, the light goes completely off if no motion is detected. When motion is detected in the room, the nightlight turns on at full brightness.
- Off: The nightlight remains off at all times.
Wi-Fi Features: The Blackout Buddy Connect Color can connect to your local Wi-Fi network. If you have Smart Home devices, such as Wi-Fi controlled lights, thermostat, or security system, the flashlight can be used in your automation system. Some of the connected features include:
- Works With Voice Assistants: When connected to your home Wi-Fi system, the flashlight works with Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant, allowing you to control the light via voice commands.
- Color Control: Through the Etón app, you can control the color of each nightlight in your home from a remote location.
- Motion Sensing: The built-in motion sensor in the flashlight can be used to alert you of activity inside your home. If motion is detected by the Blackout Buddy, you'll receive a notification on your smartphone.
- Power Failure Notification: If the power goes out in your home, you'll receive a notification on your smartphone through the Etón app. You can also set up the app to notify you even if the Wi-Fi network goes down.
- Home Automation: The motion sensor can be used to trigger other connected devices in your home. For example, when you enter your home, the motion detector could trigger your automation system to turn on lights or adjust your thermostat.
Note: The Etón app is available for Apple iPhone/iPad with iOS 8.0 or later, and for Android devices with version 4.4 and up.