About the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8060FA II
Tower speakers that deliver cinema-quality sound
Tower speakers that deliver cinema-quality sound
I've always loved Klipsch's Reference Premiere line, so much so that its speakers make up my entire home theater system. Their dynamic sound has always gripped me, bringing the pulse-pounding soundtracks of blockbuster films to life. The new RP-8060FA II continues this trend, but with a twist.
You might notice this tower looks a little different than others in the line, and you'd be correct. The 8060FA II has an upward-firing Dolby Atmos®-enabled speaker built-into the top of its cabinet. That upward-firing speaker bounces sound off your ceiling and down onto your listening position, giving you lifelike overhead sound effects without the need for in-ceiling speakers.
This is the second generation of the 8060FA speaker, and Klipsch gave its dual 8" woofers and 1" horn-loaded tweeter some noticeable sound upgrades.
Revamped Tractrix® horn and tweeter
The 1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) tweeter on the tower speaker and built-in Atmos speaker features a vented housing to reduce standing waves that can compromise sound quality. Klipsch's hallmark Tractrix horn surrounds the tweeter, this time using a widened mouth for better soundstaging and directivity. That means a wider "sweet spot" and better imaging within that sweet spot. The horn also sports a soft silicone face and a unique phase plug to keep the highs smooth and non-fatiguing.
Under-the-hood driver upgrades
Metallic drivers aren't anything new for Klipsch speakers, but the company has made significant improvements to the motor structures behind the cones. Each 8" woofer has a 70% larger voice coil for greater control, speed, and accuracy. The woofers also have new aluminum shorting rings that help reduce distortion and let the drivers handle some extra power.
A new cabinet for better sound
Klipsch also upgraded the RP-8060FA II's cabinet. This go-around, they added extra bracing throughout and divided the cabinet into sections. That helps to reduce sound-altering cabinet resonance and vibration and improves clarity.
The cabinet has two rear-firing Tractrix ports that help deepen the speaker's bass response. Their unique horn shape promotes more efficient airflow in and out of the cabinet, minimizing port noise and low-frequency distortion.
Since this speaker uses a ported cabinet, you don't want to place it up against a wall. Instead, I recommend giving the speaker some "breathing room" by pulling it away from your wall a little. Its bass response will thank you.
Bi-amp or bi-wire for even better sound
There are two sets of binding posts on the back of the RP-8060FA II for its main drivers. These binding posts let you bi-amp or bi-wire your speaker to get the best sound out of it. The third set of binding posts is for the built-in Atmos speaker.
The RP-8060F II doesn't include any speaker wire. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire.
Shop our selection of speaker wire.
Main channel specifications:
- 1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) titanium diaphragm tweeter with Tractrix® horn
- two 8" Cerametallic™ cone woofers
- frequency response: 35-25,000 Hz (± 3dB)
- sensitivity: 98 dB
- power handling: up to 150 watts RMS
- impedance: 8 ohms
- bass-reflex design with two rear-firing Tractrix ports
- magnetic grille protects drivers and looks stylish
- furniture-grade walnut vinyl with scratch-resistant design and satin-painted baffles
- two sets of aluminum binding posts for bi-amping or bi-wiring, with audiophile-grade internal speaker wiring
Height channel specifications:
- power handling: up to 100 watts RMS
- 6-1/2" Ceremetallic cone woofer
- 1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) titanium diaphragm tweeter with Tractrix® horn
- sealed (acoustic suspension) cabinet design
- single binding post speaker terminals
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 10-7/8"W x 43-1/8"H x 20-9/16"D
- cast aluminum feet for modern look with less vibration transferred to floor
- weight: 75.7 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1070034
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- Stabilizer feet (pre-installed)
- Front grille
- Top grille (pre-installed)
- 2 Terminal jumpers (pre-installed)
- Rubber cap (pre-installed)
- User Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8060FA II reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8060FA II
Features & specs
|Type||Speakers w/built-in Atmos drivers|
|Tweeter Type||Tractrix Horn|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Power Range||up to 150|
|Frequency Response||35-25k Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Integrated Dolby Atmos Speaker: The Reference Premiere RP-8060FA II Dolby Atmos enabled floorstanding speaker includes a built-in elevation channel speaker integrated into the top of the speaker to reflect sound off the ceiling to deliver the overhead Dolby Atmos experience in addition to stereo sound towards the listener. The integrated up-firing speaker consists of a 1" titanium LTS tweeter mated to a 90° x 90° square Tractrix Horn, plus a 6.5" Cerametallic cone woofer.
- The R-8060FA II's up-firing Dolby Atmos channel, consisting of one 1" Tractrix horn-loaded titanium tweeter and one 6.5" Cerametallic woofer, can handle up to 100 watts continuous (RMS) and 400 watts max (Peak).
- The RP-8060FA II's main front channel, consisting of one 1" Tractrix horn-loaded titanium tweeter and two 8" Cerametallic woofers, can handle up to 150 watts continuous (RMS) and 600 watts max (Peak).
Note: Dolby Atmos delivers captivating, object-based sound that places and moves audio anywhere in the room to bring entertainment alive all around the audience. With Dolby Atmos sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill a home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail and depth.
1" Horn-Loaded Tweeter: The Klipsch RP-8060FA II floorstanding loudspeaker features a 1" Titanium LTS Vented Tweeter with a Hybrid Tractrix Horn for exceptional high frequency response, detail, and dispersion. Klipsch proprietary Tractrix horn-loaded technology ensures high-frequency energy of the RP-8060FA II floorstanding speakers are aimed directly at the listener and reduces unwanted, artificial reverb caused by indirect sound bouncing off walls - meaning you experience the most clear, detailed, lifelike sound possible.
- Titanium LTS Vented Tweeter: The titanium tweeter diaphragm's lightweight yet rigid composition exceeds the performance of aluminum, polymer or silk tweeters. A vented tweeter design reduces standing waves behind the tweeter diaphragm for a smoother high frequency reproduction. Klipsch award-winning Linear Travel Suspension technology leverages a piston motion of the titanium diaphragm that lowers distortion and delivers real-to-life sound.
- Hybrid Tractrix Horn Technology: The new larger 90°x90° Hybrid Tractrix Horn ensures a better transmission of highs and mids for a wider listening soundstage. The newly designed Hybrid Tractrix Horn utilizes a circular horn throat paired to a square horn mouth to further improve high-frequency response and extension, while enhancing imaging and dynamics. The Hybrid Tractrix Horn's compressed molded silicon face adds high frequency damping to reduce harshness and horn resonance for a smoother frequency response with improved detail - creating a clean and natural sound. Klipsch also utilizes computer modeled phase plugs that act as a mechanical filter to further ensure a smooth, flat frequency response while protecting the tweeter from damage.
Dual 8" Cerametallic Woofers: The RP-8060FA II floorstanding loudspeaker utilizes two 8" Klipsch proprietary Cerametallic woofers that have been redesigned for exceptional power handling, minimum distortion, and maximum efficiency. Cerametallic consists of extremely light, rigid materials that can hold shape while being able to deliver lower frequencies with maximum efficiency. The redesigned Cerametallic cone woofer features a 70% larger voice coill for increased power handling, new aluminum shorting rings for lower distortion, and an improved motor structure for better cone control with more speed and accuracy.
Dual Rear Tractrix Ports: The two rear Tractrix ports of the RP-8060FA II floorstanding loudspeaker are perfectly matched to the cabinet and woofers, creating ideal airflow with minimal distortion and turbulence even at the lowest frequencies. Klipsch Tractrix ports have custom designed inner flares that help reduce air turbulence entering the port. Less turbulent air helps reduce port noise for cleaner, more powerful bass.
MDF Cabinet: The Klipsch RP-8060FA II's speaker enclosure uses furniture-grade materials and finishes. The speaker enclosure is constructed of MDF with a scratch-resistant, textured wood grain vinyl that seamlessly integrates into almost any room or decor. The enclosure's reinforced MDF construction utilizes internal bracing and a divided cabinet design to reduce cabinet vibration for less audible coloration and improved sonic accuracy. The MDF enclosure also features a satin painted baffle with a scratch resistant design for an elegant look without the grille.
Acoustically Transparent Grille: The Klipsch RP-8060FA II floorstanding loudspeaker comes with a removable, black cloth grille that is magnetic and acoustically transparent. This strong magnetic grille provides protection and a sleek aesthetic look to compliment your home's decor.
Binding Posts: The Klipsch RP-8060FA II is outfitted with two sets of binding posts for the front speaker channel and one set of binding posts for the height (elevation) speaker channel. These sturdy binding posts ensure a secure connection to many types of cable and connectors. The binding post terminals will accept banana plugs (single only), pin-connectors, spade-lugs and bare wire (up to 10AWG).
- Front Channel: The Klipsch RP-8060FA II is fitted with two sets of binding posts for the front speaker channel, allowing to bi-amp or bi-wire the floorstanding loudspeaker. The front speaker channel binding posts will need to be connected to your AV receiver's main front speaker outputs. If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier.
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
- Height Channel: The Klipsch RP-8060FA II is also fitted with a set of binding posts for the height (elevation) speaker channel. The height (elevation) speaker channel binding posts must be connected to your AV receiver's Dolby Atmos effects speaker outputs. The speaker terminals are placed low on the cabinet for convenience and an unobtrusive connection.
Cast Aluminum Stabilizer Feet: The Klipsch floorstanding loudspeaker includes pre-installed, cast-aluminum stabilizer feet with rubber pads for safe placement on hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl flooring. The cast aluminum feet are mechanically designed to minimize surface area in contact with the floor, decoupling the speaker for faster, tighter low frequencies and more detail. No carpet spikes are included, and the speaker will not support optional carpet spikes or other type of feet.
Note: Do not remove the stabilizer feet. The Klipsch floorstanding loudspeaker should not be used without the stabilizer feet due to stability and sound performance reasons.
Application & Placement: The Klipsch RP-8060FA II floorstanding loudspeaker can be used in a dedicated stereo application or in a home theater application as front and/or rear speakers.
- Front Placement: For optimum performance in a stereo application or as front speakers in a home theater application, Klipsch suggests placing the loudspeakers 6' to 15' apart. They may also be toed-in slightly for better stereo imaging. The listening position should be about 1 to 1.5x the distance separating the speakers.
- Rear Placement: When used as surround speakers in a home theater setup, the speakers should be placed on the walls directly adjacent to the listening position. Another option would be on the wall behind the listening position.
Reference Premiere II Series: The Klipsch Reference Premiere II series utilizes a larger hybrid 90°x90° Tractrix Horn, a vented LTS titanium tweeter, redesigned Cerametallic woofer cone, and Tractrix geometry port technology for sound that is impactful and immersive. The Reference Premiere II series by Klipsch consists of a variety of floorstanding (RP-5000F II / RP-6000F II / RP-8000F II / RP-8060FA II), bookshelf (RP-500M II / RP-600M II), center (RP-404C / RP-500C II / RP-504C), surround (RP-502S II), and Atmos speakers (RP-500SA II) - all sold separately.
Optional Powered Sub: For bigger & deeper bass response, pair the Klipsch Reference Premiere II series loudspeaker with one of Klipsch's powered subwoofers (sold separately - click on Accessories Tab).
The Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8060FA II replaces these items
- dual 8" Cerametallic™ woofers and a 1" Tractrix® horn-loaded tweeter
- additional upward-firing drivers reflect sound off the ceiling for immersive overhead sound effects
- frequency response 32-25,000 Hz
1 question already asked
These speakers have a good sound. Not like a party speaker. You need to have plenty of room for them. A good size room would be best with tall ceilings.
Harold L from OCEANSIDE, OR