About the Klipsch Reference R-20B
Serious sound from a seamless system
Serious sound from a seamless system
Not everybody looks at floor-standing or bookshelf speakers as beautiful works of art the way I do. If you prefer a more minimalist approach to home theater gear, the Klipsch Reference R-20B will satisfy your aesthetic while delivering a dynamic home theater listening experience.
This sound bar and subwoofer will immerse you in rich, robust sound, so movies are more thrilling and dramatic. Voices will sound clearer, small details will take shape, and deep bass will rattle your couch if you crank up the wireless subwoofer. It's a clean-looking system that won't draw attention away from your décor — although, the copper-colored Klipsch name on the sound bar might attract "oohs" and "ahs" from your audio-geek friends.
The Klipsch Reference R-20B sound bar and wireless subwoofer adds home theater sound to your TV without taking over your room. It can be wall-mounted (shown) or placed on a TV stand.
Clear sound at every seat
This system's two-channel sound bar offers uncompromised clarity with legendary Klipsch sound. Two 3/4" tweeters offer detail and nuance. Each is mated to a horn — a staple of Klipsch speakers — which disperses high frequencies across a wide listening area. This ensures every seat in the house is the best seat for sound quality. Four 3" midrange excel at delivering clear dialogue throughout your room. You won't have to keep replaying the same scene just to understand the actors.
Bring back the bass
When you take the bass frequencies away from a movie soundtrack, you're left with a gaping hole. Everything just sounds a bit flat and lifeless. The R-20B's wireless subwoofer will correct that. Just find a spot anywhere in your room, sync it to the sound bar wirelessly, and you'll start to hear (and feel) just what you've been missing.
Built-in Bluetooth for music
The R-20B isn't just for movies. When you want to enjoy some music, just whip out your smartphone and pair it to the sound bar. It has Bluetooth built in, so you can stream music wirelessly from your phone, tablet, or Bluetooth capable computer.
One cable connection and done
Setting up the R-20B sound bar is easy. Connect the included optical digital audio cable to your TV's optical output. Then connect the other end to the sound bar's input. Plug it in, and you're all set. The sound bar decodes Dolby® Digital signals, so it's prepared to handle the output from most TVs. There are also stereo RCA inputs in case you have an older TV without an optical output.
- two-channel sound bar with six built-in speakers
- two 3/4" textile dome tweeters mated to Tractrix Horns for wide dispersion
- four 3" polypropylene midrange drivers
- ideal for wall-mounting beneath a flat-panel TV or resting on a TV stand
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- aptX® encoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- Dolby® Digital decoding
- 3D Surround mode produces virtual surround sound for a more immersive listening experience
- optical digital audio input (cable included)
- stereo RCA inputs
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting (wall template included)
- 40"W x 4-1/8"H x 2-13/16"D
- weight: 8.5 lbs.
- 10" side-firing fiber-composite cone woofer
- ported enclosure for enhanced low-frequency response
- syncs wirelessly with sound bar
- rear-panel volume knob
- 9-1/8"W x 13-3/4"H x 18"D
- weight: 26 lbs.
- total system power: 250 watts (peak)
- remote control
- warranty: 3 years for drivers and cabinets, 1 year for electronics
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1061190
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered sub
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- Two 6' AC power cords
- Remote control
- CR2025 3V battery
- 59" Optical digital cable
- 2 Rubber feet
- Wall-mount template
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
- Klipsch Support Information
Klipsch Reference R-20B reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Klipsch Reference R-20B
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||2.1|
|Virtual Surround||3D Surround|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||No|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||1|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Tweeter||3/4" Horn-Loaded dome (2)|
|Midrange||3" Cone (4)|
|Subwoofer Driver||10" cone|
|System Frequency Response||27-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||Not given|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||Not given|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||N/A|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Control by App||No|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Yes|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||None|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||4-1/8H x 39-15/16W x 2-15/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||8.5 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||13-3/4H x 9-1/8W x 19-5/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||26 lbs|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Soundbar + Wireless Sub System: The Klipsch R-20B Soundbar + Subwoofer Speaker System improves your television and movie sound by simulating a multi-speaker surround sound system. It instantly upgrades your TV sound without requiring a separate receiver and multiple speakers. The Klipsch R-20B consists of a self-powered soundbar speaker and a wireless powered subwoofer, combining for 250-watts (Peak) of dynamic power. The system features an elegant black satin finish to blend in with your flat-panel TV and decor.
- Active Soundbar w/ Horn-Loaded Technology: The Klipsch R-20B's self-powered soundbar speaker utilizes horn-loading technology designed to send sound more directly to the listening area. By incorporating highly efficient horn-loaded technology into the soundbar, all sounds are more detailed, dialog clarity is significantly improved, and overall output is maximized to cover even the largest listening areas. The soundbar speaker utilizes two 0.75" horn-loaded textile dome tweeters mated with 90° x 90° Tractrix horns that deliver crisp highs. Four 3" polypropylene woofers round out the enhanced sound with crisp vocals and dynamic soundtracks. The Tractrix horns both reduce distortion and increase dispersion more directly to the main listening area. Reduced distortion increases sonic detail while controlled dispersion sends more sound to the listening area for greater accuracy and openness.
- Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The Klipsch R-20B includes a wireless powered subwoofer with a 10" side-firing fiber composite woofer in a bass reflex enclosure with a rear slot-port. The sophisticated 2.4 GHz technology automatically connects the soundbar and subwoofer together wirelessly; up to 50'. Subwoofer cabinet construction is critical for proper bass reproduction. Particleboard or, even worse, plastic subwoofer cabinets resonate in a manner that severely distorts bass, causing it to sound "boomy". The Klipsch R-20B subwoofer uses a very solid MDF cabinet to prevent unwanted vibration and distortion. The wireless powered subwoofer has an independent volume control dial located on its rear-panel.
3D Surround Mode: The Klipsch R-20B soundbar + subwoofer system features a selectable 3D Surround Mode designed to simulate the effect of a surround sound system. This effect will work at multiple listening positions in your room.
Digital + Analog Connection: The Klipsch R-20B is designed to quickly connect to most TV's using either a digital optical (toslink) connection or an analog (RCA) hookup. Using the digital optical connection, the built-in Dolby Digital decoder accepts sound from both the TV and any device (such as a DVD/Blu-ray player or Cable/Satellite receiver) hooked up to the TV. There is also analog RCA left/right input, if your television does not offer an optical digital output.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of most newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Klipsch R-20B features built-in Bluetooth for wireless audio streaming of stored music and music apps on your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Blackberry, Windows PC, Mac computer, and more to the Klipsch soundbar + subwoofer system. The R-20B even supports aptX audio coding technology which allows for lossless, CD-quality wireless streaming of music from an aptX-compatible Bluetooth device (like Android OS 4.0+). You'll continue to use your Bluetooth-enabled device to control music playback functions and to view song/artist information. A simple single button press will pair your device with the R-20B system. Once paired, the R-20B speaker system will automatically re-connect to your device when within range (up to 33').
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Klipsch R-20B.
Remote Control: You can program the Klipsch R-20B's Volume Up/Down and Mute functions into your existing TV remote for further ease-of-operation. You also have the option of controlling all functions of the system with the included IR remote control.
Note: Many newer TVs are coming with RF remotes and don't offer IR functionality. In this case, you would not be able to program the soundbar and TV remote to work together.
Mounting Options: The soundbar speaker can be positioned on a shelf or stand using the supplied rubber feet (the rubber feet add 0.25" to the height of the soundbar speaker). It can also be wall-mounted using its dual keyhole slots and included easy-to-use template (the keyhole spacing is 29.4375"). The slender soundbar speaker aesthetically matches either a wall-mounted or table-top mounted TV. Because the powered sub is wireless it can be positioned almost anywhere up to 50' from the soundbar speaker. It is recommended that the sub be positioned on the same wall as the soundbar. The wireless powered sub will require an AC wall outlet.
Auto Turn-On: This soundbar speaker system will turn on automatically when it receives an audio signal on its optical or analog inputs.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
15 questions already asked