About the Klipsch Reference R-40SA
Add another dimension to your home cinema
Add another dimension to your home cinema
There are few things more immersive (and awesome) than watching a film and losing yourself in its soundtrack. Thanks to surround sound formats like Dolby Atmos, you can be right in the middle of the action. But that level of immersion takes some extra equipment to get the full effect.
Klipsch's new Reference R-40SA speakers were made to deliver crisp overhead sound effects and add an extra dimension of sound to your favorite films. These speakers use Klipsch's new cone material and sport an updated tweeter for better sound.
The R-40SA's 4" woofer uses spun-copper TCP (thermoformed crystalline polymer) for its cone material. Klipsch chose this material because of its smooth response and transparency. The woofer also uses some trickle-down technology from the company's more expensive Reference Premiere line. It has a similar cone shape and uses additional ribbing for extra rigidity, which reduces distortion at higher frequencies.
The hallmark 90°x 90° Tractrix® horn features an upgrade too. Klipsch widened its opening for more high-frequency directivity. That means the 1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) tweeter inside the horn disperses sound over a wider area.
How do they work?
These Atmos "toppers" sit on top of Klipsch's Reference tower speakers and bookshelf speakers. They work by firing sound upward and reflecting it off your ceiling and down onto your listening position. They're a great alternative to cutting holes in your ceiling for custom-install speakers.
The neat thing is that these can also work as regular surround speakers. You can wall mount them using the rear keyhole slots and have them facing your listening position for side-or-rear surround sound effects.
Do you have an Atmos-capable receiver?
These speakers require a home theater receiver with Dolby Atmos when placing them on top of your other speakers for overhead effects.
- Dolby Atmos add-on speakers
- each fits perfectly on top of a Klipsch R-600F or R-800F floor-standing speaker
- connect to a Dolby Atmos-compatible home theater receiver's height channels
- can also be used as standard left- or right-channel surround speakers when mounted to the wall
- 1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) titanium diaphragm tweeter with Tractrix® horn
- 4" spun-copper TCP (thermoformed crystalline polymer) cone woofer
- frequency response and sensitivity specs conform to Dolby Atmos specifications
- power handling: up to 50 watts RMS
- impedance: 8 ohms
- sealed (acoustic suspension) cabinet design
- keyhole slot for easy wall-mounting
- scratch-resistant textured wood grain vinyl finish
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield): 5-13/16"W x 7"H x 11-1/16"D
- weight: 6 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1069858
What's in the box:
Klipsch Reference R-40SA owner's manual
- 2 Dolby Atmos-enabled surround loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- Four 8.5" lengths of speaker cable (terminated by banana connectors)
- User Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
Klipsch Reference R-40SA reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Klipsch Reference R-40SA
Features & specs
|Tweeter Type||Tractrix Horn|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||4|
|Woofer Composition||Spun-Copper TCP|
|Power Range||up to 50|
|Frequency Response||Not given Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Bracket Included||Fixed keyhole mount|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Dolby Atmos Elevation Speaker: Enhance your home theater system with the overhead sound effects of the Klipsch R-40SA Dolby Atmos speaker. By leveraging Klipsch proprietary horn-loaded controlled directivity technology, the R-40SA bounces sound off the ceiling to create an astonishing, immersive listening experience.
Note: Dolby Atmos delivers captivating, object-based sound that places and moves audio anywhere in the room to bring entertainment alive all around the audience. With Dolby Atmos sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill a home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail and depth.
Application & Mounting Options: In addition to delivering overhead sound effects as a Dolby Atmos speaker topper for Klipsch and other brands of floorstanding and bookshelf loudspeakers; the R-40SA is designed to be wall-mounted as a front, rear or side elevation speaker; or as a versatile side or rear surround sound speaker. There is a threaded keyhole slot on the back, as well as four integrated rubber feet on the bottom of the speaker.
- Dolby Atmos "Topper Application: The R-40SA fits perfectly on top of the Klipsch R-800F and R-600F floorstanding loudspeakers. Keep in mind the R-40SA's dimensions when using it as a Dolby Atmos topper for other models and brands of speakers, as it must be able to rest on top of your floorstanding or bookshelf loudspeaker. The R-40SA measures 5.8125" (w) x 7.0" (h) x 11.0625" (d).
- Wall-Mount Application: The R-40SA mounts easily on the wall using its integrated keyhole slot (mounting screws not included). When wall mounted, the R-40SA measures 5.8125" (w) x 11.0625" (h) x 7.0" (d).
1" Horn-Loaded Tweeter: The R-40SA Dolby Atmos loudspeaker features Klipsch's proprietary Tractrix Horn technology mated with a 1" LTS aluminum tweeter, for impressive high-frequency response and greater extension, enhanced imaging and powerful dynamics.
- 90°x90° Tractrix Horn: The square Tractrix Horn delivers a 90° (w) x 90° (h) dispersion pattern and features an increased outer horn dimension that allows for directivity control over a larger bandwidth of frequencies, resulting in improved high frequency directivity and a more accurate soundstage. Klipsch exclusive Tractrix horn technology ensures that the speaker's high frequency energy is aimed at the listener and reduces artificial reverb or filtering caused by indirect sound bouncing off of walls. Using this proprietary focused technology provides clarity, dynamics, and detail for your movies and music.
- LTS Aluminum Tweeter: Behind each horn lies a 1" LTS aluminum tweeter with a Kapton suspension. Klipsch exclusive Linear Travel Suspension (LTS) minimizes distortion for enhanced, detailed performances. Aluminum is an extremely light and rigid material used in the tweeter assembly to provide high efficiency and improve resolution and detail.
4" Spun-Copper TCP Woofer: The Klipsch R-40SA houses one 4" Spun-Copper TCP (Thermoformed Crystalline Polymer) woofer for deep, smooth, and accurate bass. TCP woofers have steeper angling of the cones for a smoother response and improved accuracy and transparency. The additional ribbing increases the overall rigidity for less cone breakup at higher frequencies.
MDF Cabinet: The Klipsch R-40SA Dolby Atmos speaker features a MDF cabinet with a scratch-resistant, textured wood grain vinyl that seamlessly integrates into almost any room or decor. The enclosure's reinforced MDF construction reduces cabinet vibration for less audible coloration and improved sonic accuracy. The MDF enclosure also features a satin painted baffle with a scratch resistant design for an elegant look without the grille.
Acoustically Transparent Grille: The Klipsch R-40SA Dolby Atmos loudspeaker comes with a removable, black cloth grille that is magnetic and acoustically transparent. This strong magnetic grille provides protection and a sleek aesthetic look to compliment your home's decor.
Binding Posts: The Klipsch Reference III series Dolby Atmos speaker is outfitted with sturdy binding posts to ensure a secure connection to many types of cable and connectors. The binding post terminals will accept banana plugs (single only), pin-connectors, spade-lugs and bare wire (up to 12AWG).
Reference III Series: Klipsch's new Reference III series features updated Tractrix Horn technology, a new Spun-Copper TCP (Thermoformed Crystal Polymer) woofer design, and Tractrix geometry port technology to create a wide soundstage that is smooth, controlled and accurate. The Reference III series by Klipsch consists of a variety of floorstanding (R-800F / R-600F / R-605FA), bookshelf (R-50M / R-40M), center (R-50C / R-30C), and Atmos speakers (R-40SA) - all sold separately.
Optional Powered Sub: For bigger & deeper bass response, pair the Klipsch Reference III series loudspeaker with one of Klipsch's powered subwoofers (sold separately - click on Accessories Tab).
The Klipsch Reference R-40SA replaces these items
- add-on speakers for Dolby Atmos playback
- drivers are angled up to reflect sound off the ceiling, for a heightened soundstage and overhead effects
- designed to sit on top of floor-standing front speakers or can be wall mounted for use as standard surround speaker
2 questions already asked
Great Atmos height speakers! Sale price was hard to pass up.
Sophal from Fairfax, VA