About the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-140D
This versatile home theater performer is ultra-compact
This versatile home theater performer is ultra-compact
The Klipsch RP-140D is compact, flat, and wall-mountable — perfect for putting together a home theater system that stays out of the way visually but still packs a serious punch. It's part of the Reference Premiere lineup, which has been a favorite among our customers for years. Klipsch has managed to fit that ear-pleasing performance into a speaker that's only a foot tall (or wide, depending on how you place it) and 2-1/2" deep.
Versatile options for your home theater installation
Given its small size, you might choose to use a pair of RP-140Ds as surround speakers along with Klipsch's larger on-wall models like the RP-640D or RP-240D for your front channels. Or, for smaller spaces, you could use five '140Ds along with a powered subwoofer of your choice.
Classic Klipsch sound
Klipsch famously mounts their tweeters inside of a flared opening, or horn. This feature helps control the way sound waves are projected into your room, for crisp, focused highs. The 90° x 90° Tractrix® horn used in the Reference Premiere series is a refined version that delivers a wider sweet spot with more precise placement of instruments and vocals.
The RP-140D teams its 1" titanium tweeter with a 3-1/2" copper-spun woofer. The drivers are mounted in a ported enclosure that helps reinforce the bass frequencies. You get richer sound than you'd expect from a speaker that's so compact.
- frequency response 69-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- handles 50 watts (RMS) /200 watts (peak)
- sensitivity 91 dB
- 8-ohm impedance
- 90° x 90° Hybrid Cross-Section Tractrix® horn with 1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) titanium diaphragm tweeter
- 3-1/2" spun copper Cerametallic™ woofer
- bass-reflex enclosure
- binding post speaker terminals
- dual keyholes for wall-mounting
- matte black painted finish
- includes glass base for vertical or horizontal tabletop placement
- 6"W x 11-15/16"H x 2-1/2"D (without base, vertical)
- weight: 3.75 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1064181
What's in the box:
- On-wall loudspeaker
- Wrap-around grille
- Table-top mount
- 2 Screws
- 2 Self-adhesive pads
- Owner's Manual
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-140D reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-140D
Features & specs
|Number of Speakers||1|
|Bipole or Dipole||No|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||3-1/2|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Keyhole|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Horn-Loaded Tweeter: The Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-140D features proprietary Tractrix Horn technology coupled with a Linear Travel Suspension (LTS) titanium tweeter to produce clean, natural high frequencies.
- 90° x 90° Tractrix Horn: The Tractrix Horn's geometry helps to improve high-frequency response and extension, while enhancing imaging and dynamics. The 90° x 90° Tractrix Horn also focuses the high frequency sounds towards the listening area, for the cleanest, most natural sound possible.
- LTS Tweeter: Behind the Tractrix Horn lies a 1" titanium tweeter with a Linear Travel Suspension (LTS) for open, natural, sound. The Linear Travel Suspension (LTS) minimizes distortion for enhanced, detailed performance.
Spun-Copper Cerametallic Woofer: The 3.5" woofer of the RP-140D loudspeaker features Klipsch's distinctive, spun-copper Cerametallic material. Made with an anodized aluminum, this cone is strong and dent resistant. The anodizing process converts its inner and outer surfaces to ceramic. The outcome is a rigid cone with superb damping characteristics that will not flex or resonate at frequencies within the woofer's operating range. The woofer also employs a rubber surround for added durability.
Bass Reflex Enclosure: The horn-loaded tweeter and spun-copper Cerametallic woofer are housed in a bass reflex enclosure with a rear/side firing port for greater efficiency and better midbass performance. The enclosure is made of ABS and features a matte black painted finish.
Wrap-Around Magnetic Grille: The Klipsch Reference Premiere series RP-140D on-wall loudspeaker features a removable, wrap-around cloth magnetic grille which easily snaps into place over the ABS enclosure.
Spring-Post Terminals: The RP-140D is equipped with spring-post terminals to connect bare speaker wire from 16AWG to 12AWG. Due to the position of the spring-post terminals they will not accept banana plugs or pin-connectors.
Applications: The RP-140D on-wall speaker can be used as a front, center, or surround speaker in a home theater setup.
- Placement for Front Speakers: For the most spacious sound place a pair of speakers 6' to 15' apart with the listening position about 1-.5x the distance separating the speakers. However, excellent sound can still be achieved by placing these speakers close to both sides of your TV if that is more aesthetically pleasing.
- Placement for Center Speaker: Since a center-channel speaker is designed to place dialogue and primary sounds so that they appear to come from the video screen. The speaker should therefore be placed horizontally, as close to the screen as possible, preferably at least 1" directly below the screen.
- Placement for Rear speakers: As rear surrounds, a pair of speakers should be placed approximately 2' above the listening position (typically this will be about 5'-7'above the floor. The surrounds should be placed on the walls directly adjacent to the listening position or on the wall behind the listening position.
Mounting Options: The RP-140D on-wall loudspeaker can be mounted vertically or horizontally when wall-mounted or attached to the included table-top base. Dual four-way keyhole slots allow for easy, tight-to-the-wall mounting (mounting screws not included). The included glass base provides a table-top solution for placing the speaker on a stand, table, or shelf (the base attaches to the speaker using the two included screws when the speaker is mounted vertically and only one screw when the speaker is mounted horizontally).
- Wall-Mount Dimensions:
- Vertical: 6.0" (w) x 11.9375" (h) x 2.5" (d)
- Horizontal: 11.9375" (w) x 6.0" (h) x 2.5" (d)
- Table-Top Dimensions:
- Vertical: 7.5" (w) x 13.5" (h) x 5.0" (d)
- Horizontal: 11.9375" (w) x 6.875" (h) x 5.0" (d)
The Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-140D replaces these items
- ultra-slim, modern design for use with flat-panel TVs
- 3-1/2" woofer, 1" titanium dome tweeter
- frequency response 69-24,000 Hz
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked