About the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-160M
High-impact sound from a bookshelf speaker
High-impact sound from a bookshelf speaker
Klipsch speakers earn consistently high marks from our customers, which is no surprise. After all, Klipsch has been thrilling music and movie fans alike for almost 70 years. That's why we're glad to offer our customers the RP-160M.
These bookshelf speakers from Klipsch's latest Reference Premiere Series have what it takes to be an instant classic, thanks to their combination of solid construction and powerful performance. Each substantially sized cabinet features a 6-1/2" woofer for tight, powerful bass and clear mids, plus Klipsch's signature 1" horn tweeter for crisp, extended, highs. Whether you use a stereo pair for music listening or as the front left and right speakers in your home theater, you can count on the RP-160Ms to deliver exceptional sound.
The Reference Premiere Series difference
Never one to rest on its laurels, Klipsch has been busy refining and improving its designs to create loudspeakers that blow the doors off of its loyal followers' expectations. The new Reference Premiere Series builds on the acoustics and technologies of Klipsch's classic Reference Series, with important enhancements that provide an even more intense listening experience.
Hybrid horn technology for dynamic performance
Horn technology is one of Klipsch's long-standing hallmarks. Flared openings in the speaker cabinet project sound waves toward your listening area and prevent them from simply spilling out in all directions. This design reduces reflections that can color the sound, and boosts dynamics and efficiency for powerful, "front row" sound that remains crystal-clear at all volume levels.
Klipsch's newly designed Hybrid Tractrix® horn features a circular throat around an advanced titanium diaphragm tweeter that transitions into a square 90º x 90º mouth. This unique shape provides a cleaner, more efficient transition of sound waves into your listening space. Compared to previous Klipsch models, this horn design delivers a wider sweet spot with more precise placement of instruments and vocals. Even the horn material itself has been upgraded to molded silicone rubber that helps decrease resonance for smoother, warmer highs.
A horn that can enhance bass, too
Rotating the speaker around and looking at the back, you'll see that instead of the conventional round port tube found on many speakers, Klipsch uses a Tractrix horn-shaped opening for smoother, more efficient airflow in and out of the cabinet. The resulting decrease in air turbulence makes for cleaner, more powerful bass with reduced port noise and low-frequency distortion.
High-tech woofer design
The RP-160M's Cerametallic™ woofer dishes out smooth midrange and articulate, well-defined bass. Klipsch makes its cone out of specially treated aluminum that's strong yet lightweight to dampen and prevent distortion. With the Reference Premiere Series, Klipsch also gave this woofer a newly developed titanium voice coil former that allows more linear movement for enhanced efficiency, lower distortion, and extended low frequency response.
Build a complete Klipsch system
You can build a great stereo system using the RP-160Ms and a subwoofer, or team them with other Klipsch Reference Premiere speakers for high-impact home theater.
- frequency response: 45-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- impedance: 8 ohms compatible
- sensitivity: 95 dB
- power handling: up to 100 watts RMS (400 watts peak)
- 90° x 90° Hybrid Cross-Section Tractrix® horn with 1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) titanium diaphragm tweeter
- 6-1/2" Cerametallic cone woofer with rigid titanium voice coil former
- bass-reflex design
- rear-firing Tractrix port provides fast, efficient airflow from the cabinet for clear, powerful bass
- beveled MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) front baffles reduce frontal surface area to minimize diffraction, plus decrease high-frequency distortion and resonance
- magnetically attached grilles for a clean, streamlined look
- durable polymer veneer finish
- dual binding post speaker terminals for bi-amping or bi-wiring
- angled MDF base plate for elevated image height and increased speaker stability
- 8-13/16"W x 16-11/16"H x 12-7/8"D
- weight: 19.9 lbs. each
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1060685
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers (Ebony)
- 2 Detachable magnetic grilles
- User Manual
- Warranty Information
- Important Safety Instructions
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-160M reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-160M
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Frequency Response||45-25k Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-28|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
90° x 90° Hybird Tractrix Horns: A redesigned Tractrix Horn utilizes a circular horn throat paired to a square horn mouth to further improve high-frequency response and extension, while enhancing imaging and dynamics. The compressed molded rubber construction adds high frequency damping to reduce harshness and improve detail. This creates the cleanest, most natural sound possible. These 90° x 90° Hybrid Tractrix Horns provide a wider sweet spot while maintaining controlled directivity of the sound.
LTS Tweeters: Behind each Tractrix Horn lies a 1" titanium tweeter with a linear travel suspension for open, natural, sound. The Linear Travel Suspension minimizes distortion for enhanced, detailed performance.
Cerametallic Woofer: The single 6.5" woofer of the RP-160M bookshelf loudspeaker features Klipsch's distinctive, copper-colored Cerametallic material. Made with an anodized aluminum, this cone is strong and dent resistant. The anodizing process converts its inner and outer surfaces to ceramic. The outcome is a rigid cone with superb damping characteristics that will not flex or resonate at frequencies within the woofer's operating range The 6.5" woofer also employs a rubber surround for added durability.
Crossover Network: The Klipsch RP-160M bookshelf speaker's crossover network is constructed using extremely high-quality components including top-of-the-line internal wiring, polyester film-type capacitors and an air-core inductor to ensure signal purity and proper driver integration. The speaker's enhanced crossover frequencies (1500Hz) offer smoother on-axis and off-axis integration.
Bass Reflex MDF Enclosure: The Klipsch RP-160M employs a bass reflex enclosure with a rear-firing Tractrix port for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. Utilizing Tractrix geometry, the all new Reference Premiere bass port allows for the most efficient, fastest air transfer from the cabinet for a clean, powerful low frequency response. The speaker's rigid cabinet offers improved internal cross-bracing to minimize panel vibrations that can color sound.
- MDF Plinth: The all new satin painted MDF plinth footers of the Klipsch Reference Premiere series bookshelf speakers lend an acoustically sound, authoritative stance when placing the speakers on a tabletop, shelf, or stand. Pre-installed rubber feet add extra stability.
- Magnetic Grille: The bookshelf loudspeaker features a removable magnetic low-diffraction grille which easily snaps into place over its polymer front baffle.
Dual Binding Posts: Each speaker has two sets of binding posts connected by jumpers. Using the dual binding posts, you can bi-amp or bi-wire the speakers. The binding post terminals will accept banana plugs (single only), pin-connectors, spade-connectors, and bare wire.
Placement: The Reference Premiere series bookshelf loudspeakers are designed to perform well in a wide variety of locations but you will get the most out of the speakers by following these simple guidelines.
- For optimum performance, Klipsch suggests placing the speakers 6'-15'apart. They may also be toed-in slightly for better stereo imaging. The listening position should be approximately 1-1.5x the distance separating the speakers.
- Place the front left and right speakers on shelves or stands with their tweeters at approximately ear height for a seated listener. When used surround sound speakers, they normally perform best when placed slightly higher than ear level.
- The bookshelf loudspeakers should be equal distance from the floor and the wall behind them. It can also help to have the left and right speakers at different distances from their nearest side walls. This sort of staggering helps smooth the bass range.
The Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-160M replaces these items
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
24 questions already asked