About the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-500M
Sweet sound from Klipsch
Sweet sound from Klipsch
Looking to build a high-impact stereo or home theater system? Then consider a pair of Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-500Ms — the middle-sized bookshelf model in Klipsch's new Reference Premiere lineup. These attractive bookshelf speakers feature a 5-1/4" spun-copper woofer for punchy bass and powerful midrange, and Klipsch's signature 1" horn-loaded tweeter for smooth, detailed highs with music and movie soundtracks.
Each Reference Premiere RP-500M bookshelf speaker features a rear-firing horn-shaped port for reinforced bass output.
Hybrid horn technology for dynamic performance
Horn technology is one of Klipsch's long-standing hallmarks. Flared openings in the speaker cabinet project sound waves toward your listening area and prevent them from simply spilling out in all directions. This design reduces reflections that can color the sound, and boosts dynamics and efficiency for powerful, "front row" sound that remains crystal-clear at all volume levels.
Klipsch's Tractrix® horn features a circular throat around an advanced titanium diaphragm tweeter that transitions into a square 90º x 90º mouth. This unique shape provides a cleaner, more efficient transition of sound waves into your listening space. The result is a wide listening "sweet spot" with precise placement of instruments and vocals.
A horn that enhances bass, too
Take a look at the back of these speakers and you'll find that instead of the conventional round port tube found on many speakers, Klipsch uses a Tractrix horn-shaped opening for smoother, more efficient airflow in and out of the cabinet. The resulting decrease in air turbulence makes for cleaner, more powerful bass with reduced port noise and low-frequency distortion.
Because these speakers are rear-ported, I recommend pulling them away from your wall or the back of the bookshelf to give them room to "breathe."
- 1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) titanium diaphragm tweeter with Tractrix® horn
- 5-1/4" Cerametallic cone woofer with rigid and lightweight voice coil
- frequency response: 48-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- power handling: up to 75 watts RMS (300 watts peak)
- sensitivity: 93 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms compatible
- bass-reflex design with rear-firing Tractrix port
- magnetically attached grilles for a clean, streamlined look
- walnut vinyl finish with scratch-resistant design
- 5-way binding post speaker terminals
- keyhole slot for easy wall-mounting
- 6-13/16"W x 13-1/2"H x 9-1/2"D
- weight: 12 lbs. each
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1065808
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles (installed)
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- User Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-500M reviews
0 of 1 found this helpful
I bought the RP-500M's to replace a pair of older Yamaha tower speakers. The 500's are very small but the sound quality is equal if not better than the large tower's, especially as you turn up the volume. The 500's seem to work better with the volume turned up, but even at lower volumes the sound is very crisp and clear. I will definitely recommend the RP-500's. I bought these on sale and was very impressed with Crutchfield's professional service and 2 day UPS air shipping. Thanks so much Crutchfield!!
1 of 1 found this helpful
I got the RP-500M's to use as the rear speakers in my 5.1 setup with the RP-6000F's as the fronts and the RP-600C as the center. I was a little nervous that the 500M's wouldn't be up to the task since the drivers are a little under-sized compared to the other speakers. i considered the 600M's, but those don't have a keyhole for wall-mounting. So far the 500M's have handled loud volumes without any distortion that I have noticed. The speakers are more efficient than the Polk RT35i's that I replaced, and they seem to more easily fill the room with sound. High's are crisp and clear, and the overall surround effect is excellent. I would definitely recommend these as surround or surround back speakers for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup.
Pros: Easily mount to the wall Clean sound with no distortion
3 of 3 found this helpful
Excellent speakers. I only have about 20 hours on them thus far but they are breaking in very nice. The sound they produce is very good considering their small size. I am actually using only these two speakers and a Klipsch R-10SW subwoofer in a rather small room. The room is approximately 12 x 20 with quite a bit of furniture, hardwood floors and a rug in the center. The sub is in the right corner with with each speaker about 3 feet from each sidewall. This is mainly my turntable room. The turntable is a Audio-Technica LP120 usb. The amplifier is a Yamaha RX-V995 Natural Sound AV receiver. The receiver is quite old but still plays perfectly well. I don't use it for surround sound duty any longer. I don't use the pre-amp in the turntable. I just recently received the following new albums and cued them up. Beatles "Abbey Road" , Styx "Paradise Theatre", Chicago "Chicago" Rhino Record Co, Eagles "Their Greatest Hits volume 1 and 2". Can you say awesome. The sound stage is huge and the separation is fantastic. I close my eyes and feel the band in the room. Not like some $5000.00 amplifier would but for this setup I think it sounds fantastic. I made the right decision buyer these items. Once the speakers are completely broken in I am sure the sound will improve even more. The amp is set completely flat with no added tone controls. Tone is bypassed. It took about 1.5 hours of tweaking the placement of the speakers and setting the sub just right. Buy em you can't go wrong.
Pros: Small size, big sound, sensitivity is excellent so you don't need a whopping amount of power to drive these speaker. Klipsch quality through and through.
3 of 3 found this helpful
I love hem. Use them as side surrounds in a 5.2.4 set up. Crystal clear sound reproduction
Pros: Dynamics, clarity, appearance (match my RF7III and RC64III perfectly)
0 of 0 found this helpful
More details on the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-500M
Features & specs
|Tweeter Type||Tractrix Horn|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Frequency Response||48-25k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Keyhole|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||28-30|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
1" Horn-Loaded Tweeter: The Klipsch RP-500M bookshelf loudspeaker features a 1" Titanium LTS Vented Tweeter with a Hybrid Tractrix Horn technology exceptional high frequency response, detail, and dispersion. Klipsch proprietary Tractrix horn-loaded technology ensures high-frequency energy of the RP-500M bookshelf speakers are aimed directly at the listener and reduces unwanted, artificial reverb caused by indirect sound bouncing off walls - meaning you experience the most clear, detailed, lifelike sound possible.
- Titanium LTS Vented Tweeter: The titanium tweeter diaphragm's light weight yet rigid composition exceeds the performance of aluminum, polymer or silk tweeters. A vented tweeter design reduces standing waves behind the tweeter diaphragm for a smoother high frequency reproduction. Klipsch award-winning Linear Travel Suspension technology leverages a piston motion of the titanium diaphragm that lowers distortion and delivers real-to-life sound. A ceramic magnet housing provides premium performance,
- Hybrid Tractrix Horn Technology: This redesigned 90°x90° Hybrid Tractrix Horn utilizes a circular horn throat paired to a square horn mouth to further improve high-frequency response and extension, while enhancing imaging and dynamics. The Hybrid Tractrix Horn's compressed molded silicon face adds high frequency damping to reduce harshness and horn resonance for a smoother frequency response with improved detail - creating a clean and natural sound. Klipsch also utilizes computer modeled phase plugs that act as a mechanical filter to further ensure a smooth, flat frequency response while protecting the tweeter from damage.
5.25" Cerametallic Woofer: The RP-500M bookshelf loudspeaker utilizes a 5.25" Klipsch Proprietary Cerametallic woofer. Cerametallic consists of extremely light, rigid materials that can hold shape while being able to deliver lower frequencies with maximum efficiency. The Klipsch Cerametallic cone is matted to a dual-layer, copper-wound voice coil for exceptional conductivity. The 5.25" woofer is housed in a non-resonating, stamped-steel basket that's secured to a large magnet motor for exceptional efficiency and low distortion.
Rear Tractrix Port: The rear Tractrix port of the RP-500M bookshelf loudspeaker is perfectly matched to the cabinet and woofer, creating ideal airflow with minimal distortion and turbulence even at the lowest frequencies. Klipsch Tractrix ports have custom designed inner flares that help reduce air turbulence entering the port. Less turbulent air helps reduce port noise for cleaner, more powerful bass.
MDF Cabinet: The Klipsch RP-500M bookshelf speaker features a MDF cabinet with a scratch-resistant, textured wood grain vinyl that seamlessly integrates into almost any room or decor. The enclosure's reinforced MDF construction reduces cabinet vibration for less audible coloration and improved sonic accuracy. The MDF enclosure also features a satin painted baffle with a scratch resistant design for an elegant look without the grille.
Acoustically Transparent Grille: The Klipsch RP-500M bookshelf loudspeaker comes with a removable, black cloth grille that is magnetic and acoustically transparent. This strong magnetic grille provides protection and a sleek aesthetic look to compliment your home's decor.
Binding Posts: The Klipsch Reference Premiere series bookshelf speaker is fitted with sturdy binding posts to ensure a secure connection to many types of cable and connectors. The binding post terminals will accept banana plugs (single only), pin-connectors, spade-lugs and bare wire (up to 10AWG). Two plastic caps will need to be removed to use banana plugs.
Mounting Options: The Klipsch RP-500M bookshelf loudspeaker can be placed on a speaker stand, bookshelf, table, or other flat surface. It can also be wall-mounted using the integrated keyhole slot.
- Rubber Feet: The bookshelf loudspeaker comes with self-adhesive rubber feet to secure the speaker in place and prevent any damage to your stand's or shelf's surface. The rubber feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker.
- Keyhole Slot: The RP-500M features a single keyhole slot on the back of the cabinet for wall-mounting the speaker without any additional wall-mount bracket (mounting screws not supplied).
Application & Placement: The Klipsch RP-500M bookshelf loudspeaker can be used in a dedicated stereo application or in a home theater application as front and/or rear speakers.
- Front Placement: For optimum performance in a stereo application or as front speakers in a home theater application, Klipsch suggests placing the loudspeakers 6' to 15' apart. They may also be toed-in slightly for better stereo imaging. The listening position should be about 1 to 1.5x the distance separating the speakers.
- Rear Placement: When used as surround speakers in a home theater setup, the loudspeakers should be placed approximately 2' above the listening position. Typically this will be approximately 5' to 7' above the floor. The surrounds should be placed on the walls directly adjacent to the listening position. Another option would be on the wall behind the listening position.
Reference Premiere Series: The Klipsch Reference Premiere series utilizes a redesigned hybrid 90°x90° Tractrix Horn, a vented LTS titanium tweeter, Cerametallic woofer construction, and Tractrix geometry port technology for sound that will envelope you and blow you away. The Reference Premiere series by Klipsch consists of a variety of floorstanding, bookshelf, center, and surround speakers (all sold separately). Click on the Accessories Tab to find more Reference Premiere series speakers for your home system.
Optional Powered Sub: For bigger & deeper bass response, pair the Klipsch Reference Premiere series loudspeaker with one of Klipsch's powered subwoofers (sold separately - click on Accessories Tab).
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked