About the Klipsch Reference RSB-8
Front-row TV sound, and more
Get hard-hitting sound for movies and full control over your tunes.
Front-row TV sound, and more
The Klipsch Reference RSB-8 sound bar delivers the same exciting, immediate soundstage as it's sibling, the RSB-6 — but this one has some extra tricks up its sleeve. I raved about how Klipsch's built-in drivers and wireless subwoofer "turned our sprawling, sound-swallowing vendor training room into a lively, intimate space." By adding a versatile wireless sound technology called DTS Play-Fi, this system is capable of delivering an even more riveting experience.
Full wireless surround sound
Using DTS Play-Fi (also called Klipsch Stream), you can turn this bar/sub combo into a full wireless 5.1 surround system. The bar acts as the front speakers. A pair of Play-Fi speakers can be placed behind you and used as wireless surround speakers.
I've watched a movie using Play-Fi's surround feature, and it sounded as smooth and reliable as a wired system. No hiccups or delays through the entire flick.
Control music in every room
Play-Fi also lets you play music wirelessly on this sound bar, and other Play-Fi speakers throughout your home. It all starts by downloading the Klipsch Stream mobile app — free for both Apple® and Android™ devices.
The app gives you access to your music downloads — including high-quality lossless files. You can also dial up songs from music services like Spotify®, Pandora®, and SiriusXM, plus over 37,000 internet radio stations. You can send the same song to other Play-Fi devices or play a different song in every room. You can even mix and match Play-Fi devices from different brands.
- two-channel sound bar with four built-in speakers
- two 3/4" textile dome tweeters mated to Tractrix Horns for wide dispersion
- two 2-1/2" fiber-composite midrange drivers
- Klipsch Stream (DTS Play-Fi®) lets you wirelessly play music and create a multi-room music system
- 4K-compatible HDMI connections
- ideal for wall-mounting beneath a flat-panel TV or resting on a TV stand
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- Dolby® Digital decoding
- virtual surround sound mode for a more immersive listening experience
- dialogue enhance mode for clear speech
- 40"W x 3-3/4"H x 3-3/4"D
- weight: 6.5 lbs.
Klipsch Stream (DTS Play-Fi Software):
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- DTS Play-Fi allows speaker to communicate with other Klipsch Stream or Play-Fi components and speakers
- Play-fi surround mode lets you use two optional Play-Fi speakers as wireless surrounds
- free Klipsch Stream app for Apple and Android offers easy music selection and playback
- plays music stored on device
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free Internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- easy wireless setup using your smartphone, tablet, or PC
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- 6.5" fiber-composite cone woofer
- ported enclosure for enhanced low-frequency response
- syncs wirelessly with sound bar
- 7-3/8"W x 10-1/2"H x 13-1/2"D
- weight: 9.6 lbs.
Connections and General Info:
- HDMI switching: 1 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology for 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDMI cable included
- Toslink optical digital audio input
- 1 minijack analog audio input
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting (wall template included)
- remote control
- warranty: 3 years for drivers and cabinets, 1 year for electronics
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1063245
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered sub
- 2 AC power adapters (attached 6' DC cords)
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed)
- 59" HDMI cable
- Wall-Mount Template
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Sheet
- "Welcome To The Klipsch Family" card
- Spotify brochure
More details on the Klipsch Reference RSB-8
Features & specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter||0.75" Horn-Loaded (2)|
|Midrange||2.5" Cone (2)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|Auto Volume||Night mode|
|4K Video Compatible||Yes|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Voice Control||Alexa optional|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||30-15k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||60W total|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||60W total|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||3-11/16H x 40W x 3-7/8D|
|Sound Bar Weight||6.5 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||10-9/16H x 7-5/16W x 14-1/4D|
|Subwoofer Weight||9.6 lbs|
Soundbar w/ Tractrix Horn Technology: The Klipsch RSB-8's soundbar speaker is equipped with two 0.75" horn-loaded textile dome tweeters with 90° x 90° Tractrix horns that deliver crisp highs, plus dual 2.5" fiber composite woofers for dynamic midrange and enhanced vocals. By incorporating highly efficient horn-loaded technology into the soundbar, all sounds are more detailed, dialog clarity is significantly improved, and overall output is maximized to cover even the largest listening areas. The tweeters and woofers are bi-amplified and utilize a DSP-controlled crossover network.
Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The Klipsch RSB-8 includes a wireless powered subwoofer with a 6.5" down-firing fiber composite woofer in a bass reflex enclosure with a rear-firing slot-port. The powered sub delivers deep, punchy bass to your movie and music soundtracks. The sophisticated 2.4 GHz technology automatically connects the soundbar and subwoofer together wirelessly; up to 50'. The wireless powered sub's cabinet features a black wood-grain vinyl finish and rubber feet. The wireless powered subwoofer has independent volume control from the included IR remote control.
Dolby Audio Decoder: The Klipsch RSB-8 incorporates Dolby Audio for rich, clear, powerful sound. Its built-in Dolby Audio decoder allows the Klipsch soundbar system to automatically reproduce detailed, high-output sound in almost any size room no matter what format of sound (including Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2ch PCM) is coming from your TV's or Blu-ray player's output.
Sound Modes: The Klipsch RSB-8 soundbar & subwoofer system offers 3 sound modes to choose from - Virtual Surround, Voice Enhance, and Night. The Virtual Surround mode is designed to simulate the effect of a surround sound system. The Voice Enhance mode increases dialogue volume for enhanced vocal clarity without increasing ambient sounds. Night mode adjusts the system's dynamic range for quieter listening environments.
HDMI 2.0: The Klipsch RSB-8's soundbar is outfitted with a HDMI 2.0 input and HDMI 2.0 ARC output. The system's HDMI connectivity supports 4K pass-through and is HDCP 2.2 compliant.
- 4K Video Pass-Through: The RSB-8 lets you maintain 4K quality from source to screen by allowing 4K video to "pass-through" and be displayed on a 4K TV or projector, without compromising image quality. Giving you the pure 4K experience makes this system the perfect partner for 4K-capable TVs and Ultra-HD Blu-ray players. 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video signal are also supported (there is no upscaling).
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by the system's HDMI input and output. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players, 4K Satellite/Cable providers, and 4k online video services.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the system's HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your ARC compatible TV to the soundbar system through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Note: The soundbar's HDMI input does not support HDR (High Dynamic Range) video
Digital & Analog Inputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the Klipsch RSB-8 offers an optical (toslink) digital input and a stereo minijack (3.5mm) analog input. Using the digital optical connection, the soundbar accepts sound from both the TV and any device (such as a DVD/Blu-ray player or Cable/Satellite receiver) hooked up to the TV. The system supports Dolby Digital & 2ch PCM audio through its optical digital input.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of many newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, HDMI inputs, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via stereo RCA or minijack.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Klipsch RSB-8 features built-in Bluetooth for wireless audio streaming of stored music and music apps on your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows PC/Phone, Mac computer/laptop, and more to the Klipsch soundbar & subwoofer system. From the system's remote control you can operate basic playback functions like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track. You'll continue to use your Bluetooth-enabled device to control advanced music playback functions and to view song/artist information. A simple single button press will pair your device with the RSB-8 system. Once paired, the RSB-8 speaker system will automatically re-connect to your device when within range (up to 33').
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Klipsch RSB-8.
Remote Control: The RSB-8 comes with a credit-card size IR remote control for wireless operation of the soundbar & subwoofer system. The remote also operates basic playback functions like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track for Bluetooth-connected devices. You can also program the Klipsch RSB-8's Volume Up/Down and Mute functions into your existing TV remote for further ease-of-operation.
HDMI-CEC: HDMI-CEC allows you to easily manage and operate the RSB-8 system along with an HDMI-CEC compatible TV, Blu-ray player, satellite receiver, and/or cable box with a single remote; when all components are connected via HDMI.
Mounting Options: The soundbar speaker can simply be positioned on a shelf or stand, below or above your TV. It can also be wall-mounted using its dual keyhole slots and included template (mounting screws not included). Because the powered sub is wireless it can be positioned almost anywhere up to 50' from the soundbar speaker. It is recommended that the sub be positioned on the same wall as the soundbar.
Power Requirements: Both, the active soundbar & wireless powered sub will require AC power.
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: Klipsch's RSB-8 soundbar speaker system employ DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers, or choosing more than one audio brand like Klipsch, Martin Logan, Definitive Technology, Polk Audio, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
Wireless Network Connection: The Klipsch RSB-8 soundbar speaker system uses your home's network for whole-house audio entertainment. The RSB-8 connects to your home's wireless network via WiFi (802.11 b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz); a dual-band "N" or better router is recommended for the most reliable wireless network connection.
Simple Setup: There are two methods for connecting the DTS Play-Fi soundbar speaker system to your home network. You can perform WiFi setup via the free DTS Play-Fi on your Apple iOS/Android mobile device or Windows PC (this setup allows you to connect multiple Play-Fi device at once to your network). You can also use the WPS button on the soundbar speaker if your wireless router supports WPS (this setup only allows you to connect one Play-Fi device at a time to your network).
Klipsch Stream App: Download the free Klipsch Stream App onto your Apple iOS (8.0+) device or Android (4.0+) smartphone/tablet for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device. From the app you can initially set up the RSB-8 soundbar speaker system, as well as add, link, and control all your DTS Play-Fi speakers. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, or music on your mobile device or computer to multiple DTS Play-Fi enabled speakers through out your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety Of Sources: The RSB-8 soundbar speaker with DTS Play-Fi supports a variety of music sources.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS + Android): You are able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps on your Apple iOS (8.0+) or Android (4.0+) device to the soundbar speaker system through the free Klipsch Stream App.
- Online Music Services: From the Klipsch Stream App on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Napster, and Internet Radio. While the Klipsch Stream App is free, not all the online music services are (subscription & purchasing fees may apply).
- Computer Audio: The RSB-8 soundbar is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA. Use the DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files.
Supported Music Files: The RSB-8 soundbar speaker & DTS Play-Fi support music formats such as MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV. The system will recognize music files up to 24-bit/192kHz and wirelessly stream these files at up to 16-bit/48kHz (CD quality sound). Some down-sampling may occur to ensure virtually lossless distribution throughout a home network.
Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/96kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi speaker and not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Multiroom Audio: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended. Supported multiroom audio sources include -
- Apple iOS & Android devices with the Klipsch Stream App installed.
- Select DTS Play-Fi online music services and internet radio.
- Music library from your Windows PC or Mac computer.
Note: Bluetooth, HDMI, Optical digital, and Analog input sources are not supported for multiroom audio.
Alexa Compatible (future firmware update): The Klipsch Stream series of products will soon be able to support Amazon Alexa voice-commands allowing your to control your Klipsch Stream speakers, soundbars, and multiroom audio systems from any Alexa-enabled device, such as the Amazon Echo or Dot (sold separately). The Klipsch Stream series of products will require a free firmware update (available in 2018 - no exact ETA) through the Klipsch Stream app to enable functionality of Alexa voice control.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
4 questions already asked