About the Klipsch SPL-120
Explosive bass for your home theater
Explosive bass for your home theater
I'm a huge fan of Klipsch powered subs — so much so that I have a 12" sub in my own surround sound system and absolutely love it. The depth and power of bass that it delivers is incredible. If you want to add the same performance to your system, consider the Klipsch SPL-120.
This hard-hitting 12" sub is powered by a 300-watt RMS amplifier — enough "oomph" to shake the walls but also provide controlled, accurate bass. It's the kind of sub that makes dinosaur and spaceship movies take on a whole new level of realism in your room.
The mighty SPL-120 is the perfect low-frequency complement for your Klipsch home theater system.
Easy system integration
Line-level and LFE (Low-Frequency Effects) inputs let you easily connect the SPL-120 to almost any home theater or stereo receiver. Its back-panel gain, crossover, and phase controls help you fine-tune the bass to your liking, and blend its sound into your system.
Put a stop to shaking, rattling, and rolling
Quick story: my living room has glass bookshelf and fireplace doors, along with tall windows that line three of its walls. All of these used to rattle like crazy when bass hit during movies. It drove me nuts!
One day I decided that I'd had enough. I bought an isolation platform to decouple my sub from the hardwood floor. Voila! Just like magic, the rattling and vibrations instantly disappeared. I even had to dial the sub back because the bass was suddenly stronger. It is without a doubt the best money I've ever spent on my system.
- 12" front-firing, long-throw Cerametallic™ spun-copper woofer
- 300-watt RMS amplifier (600 watts peak power)
- frequency response: 24-125 Hz
- front-firing slot port for increased low-frequency performance
- variable low-pass crossover
- phase switch to fine-tune the subwoofer to your main speakers and room
- line level/LFE (low frequency effects) input
- compatible with optional Klipsch WA-2 wireless signal transmitter kit
- auto power on/off
- durable MDF cabinet with scratch-resistant textured wood grain vinyl finish
- removable magnetic grille
- 14-3/4"W x 17-11/16"H x 21-1/4"D
- weight: 45 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years woofer, 2 years amplifier
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1065966
What's in the box:
- Powered sub
- 6.5' AC power cord
- User Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Klipsch SPL-120 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Klipsch SPL-120
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||40-120Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||None|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||300|
|Frequency Response||24-125 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
12" Cerametallic Woofer: The Klipsch SPL-120 powered sub houses a front-firing 12" Cerametallic woofer for deep accurate bass. Cerametallic consists of extremely light, rigid materials that can hold shape while being able to deliver lower frequencies with maximum efficiency. The Klipsch Cerametallic cone is matted to a dual-layer, copper-wound voice coil for exceptional conductivity. The 12" woofer is fixed to a non-resonating, stamped-steel basket that's secured to a large magnet motor for exceptional efficiency and low distortion.
300W Class D Amplifier: The 12" woofer is powered by a built-in 300W (RMS)/600W (Peak) Class D amplifier. The high efficiency Class D amplifier features an analog preamp design, which maintains the original signal path for cleaner, true-to-source reproduction. The Class D output stage ensures maximum efficiency for maximum output, detail, and low frequency power.
Front-Firing Port: The Klipsch SPL-120 powered subwoofer features a front-firing port for greater efficiency, bigger bass response, and flexible placement. Proprietary internal-flare geometry minimizes port noise for clean undistorted low frequencies. The front-firing design allows for placement flexibility to reduce unwanted resonance from your walls or furniture behind the subwoofer.
MDF Cabinet: The Klipsch SPL-120 powered sub features a MDF cabinet with a scratch-resistant, textured wood grain vinyl that seamlessly integrates into almost any room or decor. The enclosure's reinforced MDF construction reduces cabinet vibration for less audible coloration and improved sonic accuracy. Shock-absorbing rubber feet on the bottom of the cabinet to help isolate the subwoofer from your floor. The included wove cloth grille adds a refined look and is acoustically transparent.
Controls: The level control, low pass crossover, and phase control allow you to blend the powered subwoofer's low-frequency tones with your system's other speakers, as well as establish the ideal level of bass. All controls are found on the rear-panel of the powered sub.
- Level Control: The level control adjusts the subwoofer's volume relative to the rest of your home audio system. After the sub's level control has been set, the volume control of your AV receiver will be the volume control for both the Klipsch powered subwoofer and your connected loudspeakers.
- Low Pass Crossover: The variable low pass crossover is adjustable from 40-120Hz. The crossover point chosen determines where low bass frequencies are "handed-off" from your AV system's loudspeakers to the Klipsch powered subwoofer. Set the crossover point based on the size of your systems' main left/right speakers.
- Phase Control: This control is used to acoustically match the subwoofer's output to your main speakers. Select the position either 0˚ or 180˚ in which your subwoofer has more output at the listening position.
Connections: The Klipsch SPL-120 is equipped with line-level inputs that can be used as a stereo RCA input or LFE input. There is also a proprietary wireless input for connection of Klipsch's W-A2 Wireless Subwoofer Kit (sold separately).
- LFE/RCA Input: Most of today's AV receivers have a line-level subwoofer output (LFE). If your receiver has an LFE output, connect one end of a subwoofer cable (sold separately) to this output and connect the other end of the cable into the powered subwoofer's line-level input labeled "LEFT/LFE". Set the powered sub's built-in crossover to "LFE" with this type of connection. In the absence of a subwoofer (LFE) output on your receiver, as an alternative hookup, you can connect Left & Right channel pre-amp outputs from the receiver to both the "Left/LFE" and "Right" inputs on the powered subwoofer.
- Optional Wireless Subwoofer Kit: The Klipsch WA-2 Wireless Subwoofer Kit (sold separately) allows high resolution wireless connectivity between the SPL-120 powered subwoofer and your AV receiver. Simply connect the WA-2's wireless receiver to the LFE or RCA output of your AV receiver and the WA-2's wireless transmitter to the SPL-120 powered sub. By utilizing the WA-2 Wireless Subwoofer Kit, you won't have to run a subwoofer cable from your AV receiver to the powered subwoofer. The WA-2 is a 2.4 GHz product designed to wirelessly transmit a signal up to a 50 foot radius
Note: Both the powered sub's LFE/RCA and wireless WA-2 inputs can be utilized, giving you the ability to use a single subwoofer with multiple systems in the same room. For example, you can use the wireless WA-2 input for your home theater set up and the LFE/RCA input for your 2-channel system, without needing to switch inputs when changing between systems.
LED Indicator: The front-mounted LED power indicator lets you know when the sub is powered on or off. The LED will light green when the powered subwoofer is on and receiving a signal. If the LED is dark and not lit, the powered sub is off.
Auto Power On/Off: The powered subwoofer will automatically turn On when it senses an audio signal. It will automatically go into "Standby mode" after 15-20 minutes with no audio signal. You can also choose to turn the powered sub On or Off manually from the rear-switch on the back.
Placement: Klipsch powered subwoofers are designed to reproduce deep bass and deliver the impact that makes your movies and music come alive. For optimum performance, place your subwoofer in a corner of the room on the same wall as your front channel speakers. Please note that room placement can have a dramatic effect on the performance of your powered subwoofer. Corner placement, as suggested above, will increase the amount of bass output, while placing the subwoofer along the middle of a wall, or out in the room will decrease the amount of bass output.
The Klipsch SPL-120 replaces these items
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
3 questions already asked